BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun Mentor Group- CLOSED FOR BUSINESS!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 328

2010-04-11 12:12 PM
in reply to: #2783307

User image

Elite
san francisco
Subject: RE: swbkrun Mentor Group- CLOSED FOR BUSINESS!!!
Havin'Fun - 2010-04-11 9:40 AM
gotta run - 2010-04-10 9:43 PM My local tri club had a swim clinic today, here are some of the tips we got from the coach:
  • don't start your pull too soon - use the catch-up drill (holding your lead arm out front until your trailing arm reaches it before starting your pull) to get the feel for holding your reach, elongating your stroke
  • don't end your pull too soon - your hand should exit the water down around the point on your leg where your fingertips naturally fall when you're standing, and you should put some force into the end of your stroke, that's where you get most of your propulsion. (When I concentrate on this, I like to try to throw water out behind me with each stroke.)
  • don't stay flat in the water - your body should rotate to the side with each stroke. this reduces drag and elongates your reach. 
  • look down at the bottom of the pool - looking forward (as I like to do) lifts your top but drops your hips and legs, causing them to drag and drowning your kick
  • kick more - that was for me, I hardly kick at all. I wouldn't generalize that one because I think a lot of people kick more than they need to.

How's that, Kyla? Anything you'd change or add? 

I would quailfy last two bullet points. 
I don't look straight down, but rather a little forward from straight down (hope that makes sense).  Looking down at the bottom of the pool will help with form, but don't forget you will be lifting your head to sight.  Need to be comfortable with that.
I also think kicking too much is not a good thing.  I agree with Kyla...two beat kick all the way.  No need to burn your legs early...they need to carry you quite a way once you get out of the water.   

I think I am in the same boat as DJ with this, kind of the patting top of head, rubbing belly thing, where even thinking about the kick makes everything else really hard to concentrate on.  Haven't had a lesson in awhile, but my teacher told me my kick is actually okay...i think it is a 6 beat, but one thing she wants me to think about is using my hamstrings and not my quads (which she calls bully muscles) when kicking.  Kinda like scraping poop off the bottom of your shoes is how she explained it.  Again, I find this hard to do, but am working on it.

2010-04-11 12:13 PM
in reply to: #2783337

User image

Elite
Raleigh
kickitinok - 2010-04-11 1:03 PM Welllllll - Guess who woke up with a sore throat and tight lungs and decided to not race yesterday? It was cold and windy, and I just didn't want to get sick(er) so I made the decision to skip the 10 mile bike race. Why do they start a 10 mile bike race at 7am, anyway? Jeez it only takes 30 minutes. I definitely would have done it had it been later in the day when it warmed-up. 

Probably to minimize traffic issues.

My hubby did go ahead and he did really well - placed in the top 20 (or so he says - there are no chip times for the cycle part of Redbud). He got this pretty medal - I'm totally envious and kind have been beating myself up for not going ahead and racing.  

TJ - Thanks for the quarter between the butt cheeks suggestion. I stuck one there before I went swimming this morning, and I think it did help. Although I must say that my butt was really tired by the end of my swim. Ok, I'm joking....I didn't put a quarter between my butt cheeks. I will try imagining I've got one there next time I swim, though. 

DJ - I think that upper body strength helps more on the pull than with the reach. That's what I've read and been told, anyway.

Running question: I immediately go into zone 4 right after I start my run, then up to zone 5 for the better part of the run. This is just wearing me the heck out. I don't do this on the bike, nor is it the case during my swim. What's the dealio? It makes running torture. If it's just a matter of building an aerobic base, how long will this take? I've been running for four months now. I think someone told me that it takes six months before running doesn't suck? 

Try taking shorter strides. You are working yourself into it too fast.

I'm off to do a brick.

2010-04-11 12:35 PM
in reply to: #2771574

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City
I already take very short strides. I'm also very slow - I could be wrong, but I don't think what I run is really considered running, but instead just jogging. 

Is it my weight issue?

Ok, I'm really off to do a brick now. 
2010-04-11 1:24 PM
in reply to: #2783307

User image

Master
Morse Lake, Noblesville, Indiana
Havin'Fun - 2010-04-11 12:40 PM

I don't look straight down, but rather a little forward from straight down (hope that makes sense).  Looking down at the bottom of the pool will help with form, but don't forget you will be lifting your head to sight.  Need to be comfortable with that.

looking down at the bottom of the pool will *possibly* raise your hips in the water, but it will ruin your form - it completely screws up your posture, and decreases your rotation - it will make you slower. The key is proper posture, it will push your chest into the water, raise your hips *AND* let you rotate. If done correctly, your head will be wherever it is most comfortable, from looking about 45* forward to almost 90* forward. Don't worry so much about your head position, worry more about your shoulders, more specifically, your scapula. Practice scapula retraction drills (YTWL). Practice swimming with your scapula retracted (heads up drill). Practice walking, sitting, running, driving, cycling, showering with retracted scapula. Most importantly, practice sitting in front of a computer with a retracted scapula - this is why your scapula live life rotated from your centerline anyways...

Does everyone know what I meant by YTWL drills? Do I need to record a short video to demonstrate (I can do so if needed)?
2010-04-11 2:35 PM
in reply to: #2783348

User image

Master
kt65 - 2010-04-11 12:12 PM
Havin'Fun - 2010-04-11 9:40 AM
gotta run - 2010-04-10 9:43 PM My local tri club had a swim clinic today, here are some of the tips we got from the coach:
  • don't start your pull too soon - use the catch-up drill (holding your lead arm out front until your trailing arm reaches it before starting your pull) to get the feel for holding your reach, elongating your stroke
  • don't end your pull too soon - your hand should exit the water down around the point on your leg where your fingertips naturally fall when you're standing, and you should put some force into the end of your stroke, that's where you get most of your propulsion. (When I concentrate on this, I like to try to throw water out behind me with each stroke.)
  • don't stay flat in the water - your body should rotate to the side with each stroke. this reduces drag and elongates your reach. 
  • look down at the bottom of the pool - looking forward (as I like to do) lifts your top but drops your hips and legs, causing them to drag and drowning your kick
  • kick more - that was for me, I hardly kick at all. I wouldn't generalize that one because I think a lot of people kick more than they need to.

How's that, Kyla? Anything you'd change or add? 

I would quailfy last two bullet points. 
I also think kicking too much is not a good thing.  I agree with Kyla...two beat kick all the way.  No need to burn your legs early...they need to carry you quite a way once you get out of the water.   

I think I am in the same boat as DJ with this, kind of the patting top of head, rubbing belly thing, where even thinking about the kick makes everything else really hard to concentrate on.  Haven't had a lesson in awhile, but my teacher told me my kick is actually okay...i think it is a 6 beat, but one thing she wants me to think about is using my hamstrings and not my quads (which she calls bully muscles) when kicking.  Kinda like scraping poop off the bottom of your shoes is how she explained it.  Again, I find this hard to do, but am working on it.

If I really stop and think about the kick, I picture it coming more from the hips (i.e. where your leg connects up at the top), and being more flowing. Lots of people also seem to kick from their knees and sort-of "pound" the water thump-thump-thump, or do a bicycle motion. If you think of your legs/feet as fins (like a fish), it's much more fluid. I don't know if I'm making sense at all -- I'm trying to articulate the "feeling" of kicking... 
2010-04-11 3:11 PM
in reply to: #2783445

User image

Champion
marietta
tjtryon - 2010-04-11 1:24 PM
Havin'Fun - 2010-04-11 12:40 PM I don't look straight down, but rather a little forward from straight down (hope that makes sense).  Looking down at the bottom of the pool will help with form, but don't forget you will be lifting your head to sight.  Need to be comfortable with that.

looking down at the bottom of the pool will *possibly* raise your hips in the water, but it will ruin your form - it completely screws up your posture, and decreases your rotation - it will make you slower. The key is proper posture, it will push your chest into the water, raise your hips *AND* let you rotate. If done correctly, your head will be wherever it is most comfortable, from looking about 45* forward to almost 90* forward. Don't worry so much about your head position, worry more about your shoulders, more specifically, your scapula. Practice scapula retraction drills (YTWL). Practice swimming with your scapula retracted (heads up drill). Practice walking, sitting, running, driving, cycling, showering with retracted scapula. Most importantly, practice sitting in front of a computer with a retracted scapula - this is why your scapula live life rotated from your centerline anyways... Does everyone know what I meant by YTWL drills? Do I need to record a short video to demonstrate (I can do so if needed)?

imfl last year. 2nd in her a/g out of the water.  40th female.  209 overall.  oh i dunno *coach*.  hasn't seemed to ruin linda's form. 

2010-04-11 3:11 PM
in reply to: #2783337

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

kickitinok - 2010-04-11 1:03 PM Welllllll - 

My hubby did go ahead and he did really well - placed in the top 20 (or so he says - there are no chip times for the cycle part of Redbud). He got this pretty medal - I'm totally envious and kind have been beating myself up for not going ahead and racing.  

TJ - Thanks for the quarter between the butt cheeks suggestion. I stuck one there before I went swimming this morning, and I think it did help. Although I must say that my butt was really tired by the end of my swim. Ok, I'm joking....I didn't put a quarter between my butt cheeks. I will try imagining I've got one there next time I swim, though. 

DJ - I think that upper body strength helps more on the pull than with the reach. That's what I've read and been told, anyway.

Running question: I immediately go into zone 4 right after I start my run, then up to zone 5 for the better part of the run. This is just wearing me the heck out. I don't do this on the bike, nor is it the case during my swim. What's the dealio? It makes running torture. If it's just a matter of building an aerobic base, how long will this take? I've been running for four months now. I think someone told me that it takes six months before running doesn't suck? 

I'm off to do a brick.

Hey Trina. Congrats to the hubby. Also I tried the quarter in the butt cheeks thing but had to stop when I ran out of the roll of quarters. Hmmm Never did find those quarters

2010-04-11 3:15 PM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

Kyla nice reference on the "how to kick" . I think too many people try and kick from the knee and not from the hip.

2010-04-11 3:16 PM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

I know someone asked this a while ago but does anyone have discount information for "Infinit". I'm fgetting lwo and will have to order soon.

2010-04-11 3:18 PM
in reply to: #2783579

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

Do I need to record a short video to demonstrate (I can do so if needed)?

Yup you need to post video.

2010-04-11 3:19 PM
in reply to: #2783579

User image

Master
fattyfatfat - 2010-04-11 4:11 PM

tjtryon - 2010-04-11 1:24 PM
Havin'Fun - 2010-04-11 12:40 PM I don't look straight down, but rather a little forward from straight down (hope that makes sense).  Looking down at the bottom of the pool will help with form, but don't forget you will be lifting your head to sight.  Need to be comfortable with that.

looking down at the bottom of the pool will *possibly* raise your hips in the water, but it will ruin your form - it completely screws up your posture, and decreases your rotation - it will make you slower. The key is proper posture, it will push your chest into the water, raise your hips *AND* let you rotate. If done correctly, your head will be wherever it is most comfortable, from looking about 45* forward to almost 90* forward. Don't worry so much about your head position, worry more about your shoulders, more specifically, your scapula. Practice scapula retraction drills (YTWL). Practice swimming with your scapula retracted (heads up drill). Practice walking, sitting, running, driving, cycling, showering with retracted scapula. Most importantly, practice sitting in front of a computer with a retracted scapula - this is why your scapula live life rotated from your centerline anyways... Does everyone know what I meant by YTWL drills? Do I need to record a short video to demonstrate (I can do so if needed)?

imfl last year. 2nd in her a/g out of the water.  40th female.  209 overall.  oh i dunno *coach*.  hasn't seemed to ruin linda's form. 

There are always exceptions to the rule, again, as I said, it's not about the head position - don't use the head position to force your hips up. Use your posture, push your chest into the water to get proper body position - let your head be where it feels most comfortable. If your head happens to be most comfortable looking down (I've never seen this with proper form, but it is possible) this is fine. The point is, don't make your head force your body into position, learn proper form to do so.

2010-04-11 3:20 PM
in reply to: #2783587

User image

Master
Redknight - 2010-04-11 4:18 PM

Do I need to record a short video to demonstrate (I can do so if needed)?

Yup you need to post video.

I'll get to this tonight, after I get my kiddos to bed.
2010-04-11 3:42 PM
in reply to: #2783580

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City
Redknight - 2010-04-10 4:11 PM

kickitinok - 2010-04-11 1:03 PM Welllllll - 

I'm off to do a brick.

Hey Trina. Congrats to the hubby. Also I tried the quarter in the butt cheeks thing but had to stop when I ran out of the roll of quarters. Hmmm Never did find those quarters

LOL Rob! Next time you run everyone can just call you Mr. Coin Dispenser Surprised

Man....I just did the brick from h*ll. To make a long story short, hubby was riding with me on the cycle portion. It's really busy around the lake today since its a nice day. The bike trail winds through through the street at times. The first intersection is on an incline. A really old lady driving a car didn't notice she had the EFFING right of way, so she kept slowing down then accelerating then slowing down....by the time I realized I was going to have to stop because she was jellying, I was going really slow and on an incline. Got my right foot out of my pedal, but no go on the left because I had already lost my balance. That's cool because I've fallen over before and it didn't hurt, BUT my husband decided at the very moment the old lady and I were playing chicken to speed-up and pull up next to me. So when I fell over, I fell over onto his front wheel and the knob on his wheel axle (don't know the correct terminology) caught me square in the right kidney.  Oh Lord in Heaven that hurt - I think I almost passed out. All I can remember is screaming out in pain and my husband freaking out. I laid there for a couple of minutes while he calmed me down. He lifted my shirt in back and I've got a huge bruise. His front wheel is totally fubar.

So I was just crying and walking around trying to get rid of the pain. Blood running down my leg - there were quite a few people staring at me. I felt like just giving up and going home. But then I thought "Hey....HTFU and get on your bike and train!" So after a quick check to make sure my bike was OK,  I got on my bike and rode 12 miles and then ran two miles. My back felt fine on the bike, but once I started running, I could feel the injury in my back and it radiated through my body into the front of my belly. Felt almost like a side stitch, but worse. I wonder if I should go to the doctor?

Does anyone else have trouble getting your left foot out of the Keo Looks? My right comes out just fine, but the darn left one is difficult at times. Is there something I can do to make it easier???

2010-04-11 3:48 PM
in reply to: #2783325

User image

Master
Tosa, WI
DougRob - 2010-04-11 11:53 AM Welcome back Badger! I need all the hockey company I can get! We may have discussed this, but refresh my meory, where did you play Div. 1 hockey? Wisconsin? I went to RPI and hockey is our only division 1 sport. (I did not play for the team) I was racing bikes back then and did race for the school. I got a kick the other night at a training session put on by a local tri shop. The pro  leading the class made a comment about my thighs. I said they come from 30+ years of hockey. She left me alone the rest of the class.

Yup I am a Badger through and through.  Played at Wisconsin during the seasons in 86-87 and 87-88, ironically my recruiting class won the whole thing in '90, by then I had figured out that there was no way I was gonna make the show, so I went to school to get a degree.  I was a 4th or 5th liner my entire time there....(for those that don't understand that, it means I sat on the bench most of the time when I actually got to get dressed for the game)... because I was a speed guy at 6'0 feet 190 lbs and the WCHA has mostly size and power game now.  3 hours of skating for 20+ years everyday did wonders for my legs and my anaerobic threshold which has transfered very nicely to the bike.  I am running about 175 lbs now.      

The RPI vs Wisconsin game on Thursday night was an interesting watch.  I missed the final last night because we were on the road home but it sounds like my Badgers got schooled by BC.   ?? 
?
?
2010-04-11 4:27 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
back from the 10k....Big PB for me. 52:3X was offically chipped. So going according to Mr. garmin.
Will do a RR later. Lets just say i didnt think I could hold it, but I did. Amazing what your body can do when your mind shuts it off.
2010-04-11 4:46 PM
in reply to: #2783670

User image

Champion
marietta
TrevorC - 2010-04-11 4:27 PM back from the 10k....Big PB for me. 52:3X was offically chipped. So going according to Mr. garmin.
Will do a RR later. Lets just say i didnt think I could hold it, but I did. Amazing what your body can do when your mind shuts it off.

great job man.  i read your post yesterday and was hoping to lay down a pr on the backside today.  not even close. so i'm really glad one of us did! the highlight of my day was hanging out with andy on the boat ride out to the start.  then talking sh+t to matty reed about drinking a coke instead of a beer.  no i'm not kidding.  i really was.  see.  tremendous guy.  so was andy potts.  everything in between the boat ride and the sh=t talk was just awful. worst race yet. rr later.

Edited by fattyfatfat 2010-04-11 4:47 PM

2010-04-11 4:46 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Trina--It sounds like you had the day from hell.  Are you sure you are alright? I am not a fan of HTFU unless you are mentally not in the game.  Please watch the injury to make sure it isn't something more!

Trevor--AWESOME man....this has got to feel great heading the TX.  Now it is time to do some sort of taper, right?

Twin-- you do the 6 beat?  I think I do the no-beat kick.  So far, coach thinks my kick is fine, but it certainly doesn't offer anything more than some rotational help.  Is that bad??? TJ? Kyla? Linda?

My virgin ride for '10 went well! No spills,  but it was so windy that I couldnt stay aero because the wind kept catching me and made me feel like I was going to blow over.  This has happened so many times.  How do the rest of you deal with it?  Here I am with a brand new GURU, I have yet to take out and I can't ride aero in my road bike.....help!
2010-04-11 5:14 PM
in reply to: #2783695

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
SSMinnow - 2010-04-11 5:46 PM Trina--It sounds like you had the day from hell.  Are you sure you are alright? I am not a fan of HTFU unless you are mentally not in the game.  Please watch the injury to make sure it isn't something more!

Trevor--AWESOME man....this has got to feel great heading the TX.  Now it is time to do some sort of taper, right?

Twin-- you do the 6 beat?  I think I do the no-beat kick.  So far, coach thinks my kick is fine, but it certainly doesn't offer anything more than some rotational help.  Is that bad??? TJ? Kyla? Linda?

My virgin ride for '10 went well! No spills,  but it was so windy that I couldnt stay aero because the wind kept catching me and made me feel like I was going to blow over.  This has happened so many times.  How do the rest of you deal with it?  Here I am with a brand new GURU, I have yet to take out and I can't ride aero in my road bike.....help!

Do you mean blown over?  If so it does help a bit leaning into the wind.  Might just take some time to get used to.

For me I haven't really been concerned with swimming much this year.  There is just so much more time to be gained with a faster ride and run.  Obviously I still want to get faster in the water but for now, maintaining and not getting completely blown out of the water in my AG works for me, usually MOP on swim, when I get to FOP bike and run then I'll go back and focus on the swim.

Yeah I guess all of us Lonestar bound should have just had our biggest week and it's all down hill from here, woo hoo!

Edited by dalessit 2010-04-11 5:15 PM
2010-04-11 5:17 PM
in reply to: #2783693

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
fattyfatfat - 2010-04-11 5:46 PM
TrevorC - 2010-04-11 4:27 PM back from the 10k....Big PB for me. 52:3X was offically chipped. So going according to Mr. garmin.

great job man.  i read your post yesterday and was hoping to lay down a pr on the backside today.  not even close. so i'm really glad one of us did! the highlight of my day was hanging out with andy on the boat ride out to the start.  then talking sh+t to matty reed about drinking a coke instead of a beer.  no i'm not kidding.  i really was.  see.  tremendous guy.  so was andy potts.  everything in between the boat ride and the sh=t talk was just awful. worst race yet. rr later.

Did you ask him about his new cycling coach : )
2010-04-11 5:18 PM
in reply to: #2783739

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City
dalessit - 2010-04-10 6:14 PM
SSMinnow - 2010-04-11 5:46 PM Trina--It sounds like you had the day from hell.  Are you sure you are alright? I am not a fan of HTFU unless you are mentally not in the game.  Please watch the injury to make sure it isn't something more!

Do you mean blown over?  If so it does help a bit leaning into the wind.  Might just take some time to get used to.

For me I haven't really been concerned with swimming much this year.  There is just so much more time to be gained with a faster ride and run.  Obviously I still want to get faster in the water but for now, maintaining and not getting completely blown out of the water in my AG works for me, usually MOP on swim, when I get to FOP bike and run then I'll go back and focus on the swim.

Yeah I guess all of us Lonestar bound should have just had our biggest week and it's all down hill from here, woo hoo!

I certainly hope so. My poor back is killing me. I think I'm going to cry again.

Training Question: If I'm just doing the sprint distance at Lonestar, do I really need to taper? Suggestions/advice?

Edited by kickitinok 2010-04-11 5:20 PM
2010-04-11 5:40 PM
in reply to: #2783751

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Given your spill and your aching back do you really need to ask?   Seriously, Trina the last 10 days before a race you aren't going to get a signfiicant benefit for the race so why risk it?  Keep the intensity, but reduce volume.  Health trumps a :02 second gain in S/B or R.

kickitinok - 2010-04-11 5:18 PM
dalessit - 2010-04-10 6:14 PM

I certainly hope so. My poor back is killing me. I think I'm going to cry again.

Training Question: If I'm just doing the sprint distance at Lonestar, do I really need to taper? Suggestions/advice?

2010-04-11 5:46 PM
in reply to: #2783695

User image

Kind of nervous about answering this, but I'll give it my best.  I typically use a two beat kick - but let me clarify this by saying I am a distance person more than a sprinter.  Sprinters tend to use a six beat.  The six beat kick tires me more, and for a distance race I don't want to come out of the water with my legs shot.   Suzy, you probably are kicking but you just are focusing more on your upper body and aren't noticing your legs 
2010-04-11 5:47 PM
in reply to: #2783670

User image

TrevorC - 2010-04-11 5:27 PM back from the 10k....Big PB for me. 52:3X was offically chipped. So going according to Mr. garmin.

Awesome Trevor!
2010-04-11 5:49 PM
in reply to: #2783751

User image

kickitinok - 2010-04-11 6:18 PM [

Trina - I would rest a bit for Lonestar....whatever the distance.  Remember you're going the race distance, and then have to survive the mg party.
2010-04-11 5:50 PM
in reply to: #2783585

User image

Veteran
Redknight - 2010-04-11 4:16 PM

I know someone asked this a while ago but does anyone have discount information for "Infinit". I'm fgetting lwo and will have to order soon.

I dont have a code... but speaking of infinit...

Is there a special trick to not getting it to foam up when you are mixing it with water?
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun Mentor Group- CLOSED FOR BUSINESS!!! Rss Feed  

of 328