BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun Mentor Group- CLOSED FOR BUSINESS!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 328

2010-04-06 12:22 PM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Subject: swbkrun Mentor Group- CLOSED FOR BUSINESS!!!
NAME: SWBKRUN/ Steve Birds
STORY: I am from Seattle and have been doing triathlons for approximately 10 years. I remember when I was 22 watching my wife do her 1st race. It was Danskin. I was so proud of her, but knew that that was something that I never would want to do!!! That is not my cup of tea I THOUGHT!!! Well I some how got suckered into a sprint the very next year, and thought that was "PRETTY FUN."

What's next? I tried another, and had more fun, then another, then the next distance. AN OLYMPIC DISTANCE! That was pretty fun, let's try something different. How about a marathon! WOW that was hard, but what a victory. Ok, I did that... Now let's try a 1/2 Ironman! UGH! TOUGH BUT GREAT.. ANOTHER VICTORY! That really only leaves the mother of all mothers!!

I have been a mentor since this program started 4 years ago, and LOVE EVERY MINUTE OF IT!!! WE WILL GO FAR TOGETHER!!!!!!!!!!  My last group rocked and we have over 5600 post over the past few months!!! Get ready to be integrated with 3 sports, and everything that goes with it!  !!!  Look forward to meeting you!

That is right THE IRONMAN! It is logical in the steps of my life goals. I have done all other distances. This seems to be the next step, but wait! I said that I never wanted to do a triathlon 11 years ago, and here I am. I now proudly have a Ironman tattoo, and bragging rights for the rest of my life, but that is not enough! What is next? I don't know! Help me out, LET US HELP EACH OTHER OUT! WHAT IS THAT NEXT GOAL! Join my group, and I will make sure we ALL GET THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I  am ALWAYS looking for the next great adventure and push myself to where all my friends and family think I am stupid !!!! Or crazy
FAMILY STATUS: Married (KIM)almost 8 years, no kids (one on the way!), and a chocolate lab (KONA
CURRENT TRAINING: Training to me is the fun part.  More enjoyable than the races.... It's all about the journey with me!  I love getting out in different scenery, weather, people, etc.  I guess that I lack consistency in my workouts.  You won't see me on the treadmill everyday!
THIS YEAR'S RACES: This year I was able to race only a couple times!  I helped my sister complete her 1st 1/2 Marathon.  Raced Boise 70.3 in a PR of 5:26, raced an Oly w/ a PR of 2:28 (2nd in AG, 11th Overall), raced a couple adventure races (sprints) finishing 1st in my division 3rd-5th Overall 
2010 RACES:  This is still in the up in the air for me.  I will probably being doing 3 1/2 Ironman's BOISE 70.3 series, Pacific Crest 1/2 Ironman and the Lake Chelan 1/2 Ironman.... And A TRIP TO CANADA TO SIGN UP FOR 2011!

WEIGHTLOSS: I maintain a weight based strictly on exercise, and lucky genetics.  I am a huge fan of Pizza, Chips/Salsa, and JACK AND COKES!!!  
WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I will be a good mentor to you for several reasons!!! I am fun, energetic, encouraging, and am a realist!  I am no TYPE "A" personality, and I am an experienced MIDDLE OF THE PACKER!!! So should never be afraid to ask me questions, and I plan on learning from others, and being encouraged from others!!!  My last Group had almost 300 pages of GREAT INFO, ENCOURAGEMENT, AND BANTER!!!! YOU WILL LOVE THIS GROUP, and THIS GROUP WILL LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by swbkrun 2010-04-08 9:32 AM

2010-04-07 9:58 AM
in reply to: #2771574

User image

Champion
marietta
Subject: RE: swbkrun Mentor Group- WE FLY!!!
name: john

this will be my second year.  last year i completed a few sprints, a 1/4 IM, and 2 HIM's. my weak point is swimming, ahh biking, and ummm running. 

i have 3 dogs, 3 kiddos, and an AWESOME wife. 

my third term with swbkrun.  big welcome to all the new peeps.
2010-04-07 10:15 AM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada

I am back!!

official updated bio.....
My story.....Grew up living a very active lifestyle. As a Canadian boy, obviously hockey was No#1. Volleyball, baeball,etc. When I moved up to Calgary, did alot of mountain biking with our glorious rocky mountains nearby. Then the downfall - got married, had kids and got fat.
Joined a gym about 2 years ago, got a trainer for a few months and shed alot of the weight..Down about 50 lbs so far. Hit my long-term training goal weight of 199lbs prior to my 1st season of tri's. Have never been a runner, so this lifestyle started as a great way to mix up my training and get me out of my comfort zones.

FAMILY STATUS: Married 6 years, 2 little girls (5 and 3), and a Wheaten Terrier named KONA(we were married in Hawaii, I had no idea about this ironman thing back then)
CURRENT TRAINING: Building for my 1st 70.3 in 18 days!!! -Galveston, TX Lonestar 70.3
2009 RACES:  5 sprints, 2 Oly's, 2 1/2 marathons, bunch of 5 and 10k's

WEIGHTLOSS: I'm 6' 200 lbs..... gained a bit in the offseason, but since lost it and ready to rock for 2010. 

I have recently joined with a coach, and she has reallly helped me find direction in my training. With 2 HIM's this year, i needed someone to help me stay on course.

Welcome to the new guys/gals.

Edited by TrevorC 2010-04-07 10:16 AM
2010-04-07 11:06 AM

User image

I'm in.

Linda
Third year of triathons...sprint to IM.
This year not totally set yet, but am signed up for Muddy Buddy (with hubby), and Triple T - NC. 
My story, m?arried to a wonderful husband, ??h?a?v?e? three kids (9b, 7b, 6g) and one dog.?
2010-04-07 11:17 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
I'm here too.

Name's Tracy. This is my 3rd year of racing and being a part of this mentor group.  I'm recovering from a running injury sustained while marathon training. I've raced super sprints up through halves and will be tackling my first solo ironman in Canada 2011.  I will say for a fact I would never had made it this far without my swbkrun peeps.

I have a husband who races as well and 2 daughters, ages 9 and almost 7.

Glad to be back for what ever round this is Smile
2010-04-07 3:56 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
COUNT ME IN!!!!

NAME:
SUZY SHAIN

FAMILY STATUS:
 Married for 20 years to Paul, no kids, no pets

CURRENT TRAINING: Started distance running in 2003 at 39 years of age and transitioned into triathlon in 2008 with the goal of one day doing a 140.6 since IM WI is in my backyard. I've been working with a coach for the last 10 months to improve my swimmimg first and foremost (learned how to swim 3 years ago after nearly drowning as an adult) and then biking and running.  Just returning to running after a 4 month hiatus due to a stress fracture.....deferred my third Boston to '11 to focus on IM WI and run with Kim, Chet and Kyla!

THIS YEAR'S RACES:
 Lots of races, including 3 HIMs (TX70.3, High Cliff, Racine70.3) but the big one is IM WI in September

WHAT MAKES ME A GOOD PART OF THIS GROUP:  I like to keep people honest and motivate the heck out of them the best I can.

Edited by SSMinnow 2010-04-08 6:32 AM

2010-04-07 5:32 PM

User image

Master
Morse Lake, Noblesville, Indiana
NAME: tjtryon/TJ Tryon

FAMILY: Currently separated, and a single parent (10 of 14 days), and pretty happy in life.

CAREER: I just went back to school full time to get my teaching certificate. Aside from classes and kids, I coach swimmers and triathletes - I have about a dozen athletes this year, from the 2nd year sprint triathlete, to someone hoping to KQ at IM Coz. Feel free to ask me for coaching advice, I'm always willing to help in that regards...

WHY I AM HERE: Everyone needs someone to be accountable to. I tend to overlook the obvious, and when I do, I tend to loose focus. I like learning though others, and I need someone to help keep me focused. Plus Steve has a great group!

STORY (it's a little long, sorry...):
Sept 2007-Apr 2009
I was released by my Doctor to start training again in April of 2009. Why? I got chicken pox as a mid-30s adult from my daughter in September 2007, which turned to shingles and spread to my brain by late-November 2007 (Ramsay-Hunt Syndrome). It caused encephalitis, and as a result, I had debilliatting headaches for over a year, and damaged some cranial nerves, of which some manage functions such as balance, sight, etc. By December 2008, I got into a program at the Cleveland Clinic, and they got things pretty much under control - though I still have *some* issues up to today. After my trip to the Cleveland Clinic, I had to re-learn to walk, drive, function on my own. I topped the scales in January 2009 at 212 lbs, which prior to getting sick, I was in the mid-160s. I spent January/Feb/March learning to walk, run, cycle, swim, etc. again. My doctor officially released me to be able to train again starting April 2009.

Last year, I was able to participate in 2 x 1/2 Marathons, Steelhead 70.3, Big Shoulders 2.5k/5k swim, some cycling TTs, and a handful of runs or smaller events. My training depended on how I felt, and I tended to get sick alot, a mix of overtraining and "relapse" of my Ramsay Hunt. I had 3 relapses in 2009, one in Feb, one in June and one in September. The Feb and June relapses were enough to send me back to Cleveland Clinic, but not so bad as to cause more than a couple of weeks of issues. 2009 was a year dedicated to learning, to teaching myself I could do this stuff again. It was definetly not a year of speed. There was so much question of what I would be able to do in 2008, I was thrilled I could just do this stuff again.

Fast forward to the current year. I took the winter off from training, and I broke my ankle last fall - yeah, I know, bad luck after everything else. This was fine though, I really needed a break to develop myself mentally. So far in 2010, I have competed in a 7 mile running race, in which I qualified for preferred seeding for the Indianapolis Mini Marathon in May. I averaged 10:45/mi. A month later, I ran the Costa 1/2 Mary. My goal was to have a good solid 10k - I was not trained up to 13M, so my concern was the first half of the race. My 5k time was 27:52, and 10k @ 58:02. I was thrilled with these times - the first sub-10 miles I have been able to do since I started training a year ago (not the 8:00 from several years ago). I would like to see a sub-2 hour Mini in May, but will be happy with anything under 2:10-2:20.

For 2010, I am currently signed up for Muncie Endurathon and Steelhead, both HIM, and have signed up, or are planning to race in the Indy Mini Marathon, a monthly 40k TT cycling series, a 10k open water swim race, and another 5k open water swim race. I will probably sign up for the MERCRS championship up in northern Michigan as well, which is also a HIM.

2009 was about participating again. 2010 will be about finding speed again - it may not be the speed I was at before, but I want enough speed that I am satisfied with my efforts.

Pre-2007

Though my pre-2007 really has no bearing on my current status, some background may be helpful. I started swimming competitively in 1978, which I did up through high school - and I was fast. In 1987, I competed in my first multisport event, the Blacksnake Duathlon in Indiana - I got third in the series that year. I ran Cross Country, rode by bike everywhere - I even participated in long organized bike rides. My heart and my background is in the sports of Swim/Bike/Run.

In the 1990s, I smoked a bit, I drank a bit, I ate a lot, I let myself get out of shape. I raced motorcycles, which put a huge toll on my body/joints, as I was fast, and I would either win, or crash trying - which I did both spectacularly. This is not motocross racing, but moto-GP and road racing at courses like Loudon, Putnam Park, Poconos, Daytona. I was factory sponsored by Kawasaki and damn fast. I did this until 2001. Fast forward a couple of years, someone who knew I was a swimmer asked me to be on a relay sprint a week and a half later. I hopped in the lake a couple of times, and proceeded to swim 500M in 7:52, 2nd fastest. I was hooked. I did 3 more sprints that year of varying degrees (next was swim/bike, then swim/first part of the run/bike, and finally SBR that year). I continued to compete in sprints for several years until I got sick - and you know the rest of the story...

WEIGHTLOSS: I am a fan of the food. I have issues with getting down to what I think is a decent weight for me. I try to not let it bug me too bad, at least publicly, but it does bug me a bit.
2010-04-07 9:07 PM
in reply to: #2775306

User image

Champion
marietta
tjtryon - 2010-04-07 5:32 PM  I smoked a bit, I drank a bit, I ate a lot, I let myself get out of shape. 

welcome!
2010-04-07 9:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Oklahoma City, OK
Hey Steve,  I would love to come back and join the group again!!!
2010-04-07 9:14 PM

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
I am back yet again for the 4th, 5th time something like that : ). 

Name: Tony

From Arlington, VA

Wife sdalessio will be here soon, we have 2 kids 6 and 3

Races signed up for this year

Lonestar HIM (April)
Rev 3 Olympic (May)
Columbia Olympic (May)
Ft. Ritchie Oly (lol, not sure when)
Hagerstown Sprint (July)

Will also hopefully be doing some crits, road races and TT's

Wife and I are doing Disney Marathon in January as well.

This is a great group, we post a lot but most of it is actually tri-related.

2010-04-07 9:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Hey Steve and returning members.
I would love the opportunity to join this group. Have room for a new member?

2010-04-07 9:18 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
I am in for 3rd trip through the MG.

Doug
2010-04-07 9:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Oklahoma City, OK

Hi, my name is Holly and I am from Oklahoma City, OK.  This is my 3rd year doing triathlons.  I am married (almost 15yrs now) and we have an 11 yo son, 4yo German Shephard and a 5 month old Great Dane. 

2009: 
I did 2 oly distances races last year, a bike tour and a couple of foot races.  I got injured after my 2nd oly race and that was the end of my season.  But I am back at it and ready to go!!!

2010:  I plan on doing 1 oly distance, a sprint and the HIM I was supposed to do last year as well as a few foot races here & there.  My main goal this season is to improve my bike speed, power, etc.

I'm excited to be back!

2010-04-07 9:29 PM
in reply to: #2775763

User image

stefanier - 2010-04-07 10:17 PM Hey Steve and returning members.

or two?

NAME: Julia

FAMILY STATUS:
 Married, 2 kids (6 and 4)

CURRENT TRAINING: This will be my 2nd season of triathlon. I swam growing up, and have run for fitness for years. This season I'm focused on getting faster at the shorter distance tris (sprints and Olys).

THIS YEAR'S RACES:
 My A races are a marathon in June and an Oly in July, but I'll also do a bunch of sprints and maybe some other running races.

WHAT MAKES WOULD MAKE ME A GOOD PART OF THIS GROUP:  I'm still learning about tri, so I can't offer much advice, but I can offer plenty of encouragement and support.

Edited by gotta run 2010-04-07 9:38 PM
2010-04-07 9:46 PM
in reply to: #2775796

User image

Extreme Veteran
Issaquah

Or 3??

Name: Chris

Family Status:
 Married, 2 kids (3 and 11mo)

I'll update this post later - time to put one of the kids to bed! Ok back, put the kids to bed then promptly fell asleep...

Background: Finishing highschool I was overweight, a smoker and in terrible shape. When I started college I had no cash and a cheap mountain bike was my only form of transportation. Turns out what was a major annoyance at the beginning was a huge turning point for me. Being a smoker made it hard to ride far, so I quit smoking. Riding far (and being poor) made me lose weight. Riding 7 days a week turned me into an avid mountain biker. Since my cardio was improving so much I also became a runner.

My running in college quickly moved to running up Camelback mountain in Phoenix (where I lived at the time). If any of you know that mountain, you know it's a popular place to hike, and turns out a popular place to train for tri's. I was on Camelback so often I got to know quite a few people training for a tri and I decided since I was already biking and running a ton... Adding in the swim should be relatively easy (yes, I know... big assumption at the time). So the training began, or would have begun, except a few months later I graduated, then moved, then traveled quite a bit for work, then started a family... then, then, then... 10 years later, not such good shape anymore, still cycling, moving from mtn bikes to roadies years ago, but that was it.

Late last year I started running again, and since I was still cycling it wasn't long before the idea of a tri crept back into my thoughts... So here I am, 2 months away from my first sprint tri, and about 6 months away from my attempt at an Olympic distance.

Training: I'm following the 20 week, swim focused plan here on BT. Things are going great, particularly now that my swimming is nearing the point of real swimming and not "near drowining" - turns out growing up in the desert and not swimming since I was perhaps 10, didn't exactly prepare me as much for tri swimming as you would have guessed...

Races:

• Issaquah sprint tri on June 5th
  • Black Diamond Oly on Sept 25th'ish...

Edited by cnsegura 2010-04-08 11:15 AM
2010-04-07 9:52 PM
in reply to: #2775796

User image

Master
gotta run - 2010-04-07 9:29 PM

or two?

FAMILY STATUS:

CURRENT TRAINING: This will be my 2nd season of triathlon. I swam growing up, and have run for fitness for years. This season I'm focused on getting faster at the shorter distance tris (sprints and Olys).

THIS YEAR'S RACES:
 My A races are a marathon in June and an Oly in July, but I'll also do a bunch of sprints and maybe some other running races.

WHAT MAKES WOULD MAKE ME A GOOD PART OF THIS GROUP:  I'm still learning about tri, so I can't offer much advice, but I can offer plenty of encouragement and support.

I'll write a letter of recommendation for my fishie friend who runs really fast and wins races!!  

Oh, and I'll renew my membership if you'll have me. I'll dig up my old bio and see what has changed (nothing!) and re-post. 

2010-04-07 10:12 PM
in reply to: #2775867

User image

Master

Name: Kyla

Story: Spent my entire childhood in the pool, swimming competitively from age 6 through college (specialized in distance, best races were 500 free and 1650 free). Got into leisurely running after college and have never really stopped. Bought a bike a few years ago to scratch the itch of wanting to try triathlon and now I'm in it for the long haul. Have done numerous sprints, one Oly, and one HIM. I have run 7 marathons, with all but one ending in a PR. Run too many half-marys to count (such a fun race -- the perfect distance, IMO, because training never takes over your life!). Have completed the STP (Seattle to Portland) 200-mile weekend bike ride. I love to train (largely because I love to eat dessert!!). Currently training for IM CDA on June 27. 

Family Status: Married 13 years to Dave (who runs also, but  not with me because I am too competitive and get pissed if I can't kick his hiney because I train a lot harder than he does). Two kids (10b, 8g). One 2-year-old Flat-Coated Retriever (Trip) who does shorter runs with me. One Ragdoll kitten (Lupine).

Current Training: On the downhill side of week 13 of a 24-week plan for IM CDA. 

Past Races: 2009 was a light year, largely due to losing my father-in-law during the summer (with whom I ran three marathons) to leukemia.  In any event, I did the Victoria HIM (5:43), the Portland Marathon (3:57), plus the Seattle Rock n Roll half-mary with a group of 17 first-time women (and every single one of 'em finished!). So far in 2010 I've run one half-mary.

2010 Races: IM Coeur d'Alene (June 27). Will likely do an early-season sprint (late May). After CDA I want to enjoy a stress-free summer and do what feels good, whatever that may be! Am toying with Lake Stevens 70.3. And there is a good chance I will focus on a fall mary to go for a BQ (I need to drop 7 minutes -- 3:50 is the qualifier).

Weight Loss: I am in a good state and my weight just bounces around by 3-5 pounds and it's all good. I train a lot and eat dessert every night. In general I eat very healthy and just keep my eye on the scale to nip any slow creep in the bud.

2010-04-07 10:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Here is my info

NAME: Stefanier/ Stefanie... Yeah I know my screenname is really original

STORY: Well let's see... I am 28 years old and in my second season of triathlon. Married for almost 4 years and luckily my husband is also into triathlons. I started running back in March 2007 after deciding I wanted to run a marathon. It took me almost 2 years to accomplish my marathon goal but I started tri training that same week. LOL I am ambitious. Triathlon was a much more natural progression for me as I really enjoy swimming. I competed in 5 triathlons last season and have 5 scheduled this season.

Keep my logs on here updated daily and also log my activity on breakingthetape.com and sporttracker.

FAMILY STATUS: My husband is wonderful and is also my training partner. However, I might mention that he is just about a foot taller than I am and is extremely more talented than I am. Lets just say I get insanely jealous at times, in a good but probably unhealthy way.

CURRENT TRAINING: Currently I am using the BT free HIM Training plan. That means 9 workouts a week in 6 days (I love and need my rest day). Currently 3 workouts a week per sport. I would love to add in some core work and strength training if I ever had the time.

2010 RACES:
2 Half Marathons completed so far and an assortment of other distance running races
I am planning a super late Half marathon to see if I can hit a PR (Chicamauga in Nov)
But really my focus for the year is triathlon

Triathlon Wise
6.27.10- Irongirl Atlanta (Sprint)
7.11.10- Chattanooga Waterfront Olympic
8.21.10- Tri PTC (Sprint)
9.26.10- Augusta 70.3
10.31.10- Tri Cooter (Sprint)

WEIGHTLOSS: Weight has always been a struggle but I am finally to a place where it does not bother me. I currently sit at 150 at 5'4 and have held that exact weight for over a year. I would like to lose another 15 lbs but honestly I really would like to focus more on toning that necessarily a number. If I could be a toned and muscular 150, i would be way ok with that.

Prior to my weight loss, I weighted over 200lbs but have worked to take and keep it off. My weight loss journey has been 5 years in the making.

WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR OUT OF MY MENTOR EXPERIENCE: I am a fairly open book and am on the computer frequently, so expect to see me often. In addition to BT, I also blog as a way to give back to the athletic community and to keep family, friends and the blogging world updated. I encourage as much as I ask questions. Honestly I need support, motivation, guidance, push (Etc) from this group. My husband tries so hard to give me advice and guidance but I am wickedly competitive with him for no reason really. Needless to say it doesn't always make for the best of training sessions.
2010-04-07 10:34 PM
in reply to: #2775867

User image

kkcbelle - 2010-04-07 10:52 PM
gotta run - 2010-04-07 9:29 PM

or two?

FAMILY STATUS:

THIS YEAR'S RACES:

I'll write a letter of recommendation for my fishie friend who runs really fast and wins races!!  

Oh, and I'll renew my membership if you'll have me. I'll dig up my old bio and see what has changed (nothing!) and re-post. 

ha ha - thanks, Kyla!! 
2010-04-07 10:36 PM

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
You still got room for me in here Birdy?? 

NAME: ultrahip_00  - Mike

STORY: I am a 23 year old who has been doing triathlons for about 3 years.  I graduated college in May 2008, and work as a Sales Engineer in the Seattle Area.  I am from Idaho, and went to school out there.  I got started in Tri's by living with a guy who was doing IM-CDA while I was doing an internship and I decided to give it a shot!  My parents have always been active w/biking and backpacking and stuff, so it wasn't too far of a stretch for me to get started.  I signed up for my first triathlon and completed it about 2 months after i started training!  Since then, i have done a bunch of races, including 3 OLY's, 2 HIM's, 3 1/2 marathons and 1 marathon. 

FAMILY STATUS: Single 

CURRENT TRAINING: After a skiing, weight lifting and injured knee haitus, I am trying to make it back. . It has been a bit iffy these past few months. 

2010 RACES:  I am still getting this all figured out. I am shooting for a 1/2 marathon in May, followed by possibly a HIM in June, and some OLY's throughout the summer.  I am hoping for a marathon in the fall and maybe a 50k (if Birdy will run it with me). 

WEIGHTLOSS: always a work in progress   as I train more, and eat better and drink less, it will all work itself out 

WHAT AM I LOOKING FOR IN A MENTOR EXPERIENCE?
This group always looks awesome, and I am hoping that I can learn a few things from everyone here, both more and less experienced!  Everyone has some piece of knowledge or insight to bring to the table

Edited by ultrahip_00 2010-04-07 10:43 PM
2010-04-08 12:18 AM

User image

Elite
san francisco

I am definitely back...couldn't leave this group if you dragged me away!

Name:  kt65- Kim

Story:  took up triathlon in 2007 with a sprint (and had to learn how to swim freestyle to do it!)  Did an Olympic and 2 sprints in 2008.  2009, got a little bit serious and did a half mary, an olympic, and my first HIM, oh yeah and a marathon!!!    I am an endurance junkie!

Current training:  I did a half marathon in Feb. and my 2nd HIM two weeks ago (CA70.3) and am currently training for Vineman 70.3 in July.  I am still a very nervous open water swimmer and am working on changing that!  For Realz!!!!

Family status:  Happily domestically partnered and proud parents of one cat and one dog (my incredible Ridgeback running partner)

Goals for 2010:  To stay healthy and non-injured so I can train hard for the Boston marathon in 2011!!!!!  Woot!

2010-04-08 1:59 AM

User image

Master
Sin City
Back for second round!! 

NAME:
Deanna

FAMILY STATUS: Engaged for 2+ years, not yet married...who knows when! 4 cats, Reno, Keno, Mocha and Hobbes, and a dog - Stardust. Which ones do you think were adopted in Vegas? :-)

CURRENT TRAINING: 3x3x3 and a day off. Working on toward my first goal...to finish my first Sprint Triathlon on May 15th! First season of tri's and anything athletic!

THIS YEAR'S RACES:
A few...many firsts though! First 5k on May 1st. IronGirl Vegas (Sprint), Lake Las Vegas Tri, (Sprint), Las Vegas Tri (Olympic), Pumpkinman (Sprint or Olympic), and a couple charity rides.

WHAT MAKES ME A GOOD PART OF THIS GROUP:  I'm a goofball sometimes.

2010-04-08 7:39 AM

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia

Name: Samantha

Story: Back for my second full go round w/ the group.  I love the family feel of the group.  Not only is there wonderful advice given in this group but bucket loads of support. 

I took up triathlons 4 years as one of my New Year's resolutions.  I was hooked after the first one.  I was very active as a child riding/showing horses as well as playing field hockey through college.  However, I always hated to run, did not know how to swim and spent way more time on the back of horse than a bike as a kid.  So I always joke that I got into this sport not knowing how to swim, bike or run.  Still working on those things.

Family Status: Married 15 years to Tony (dalessit). Two kids (6 yr. b, 3 yr.g), 1 dog and 2 cats. 

Current Training:
 Getting ready to taper for my first big race of the year - Lonestar 70.3.  This is the first year, we hired a coach and it has definitely improved our conditioning and overall performance.  I am really looking forward to the season. 

Past Races: So far in my tri/running competitve life, I have completed 1 HIM (Mooseman '09) and 14 other sprint/olympic triathlons as well as 2 marathons (Baltimore '08 and OBX '09) and 17 other road races from 1/2 marathons to 5ks.

2010 Races: Smithfield Sprint (already done - 5k PR Yeah!), Lonestar 70.3 (April), Columbia Olympic (May), Charlottesville Sprint (June), Hagerstown Spring (July), Ft. Ritchie Olympic (Aug) then shift towards marathon training.  I want to qualify for Boston.  OBX 1/2 marathon in Nov, Disney Goofy Challenge (Jan 2011) then the next try - Shamrock Marathon Mar 2011). 

Weight Loss: My body and I argue abut every single ounce that I want to lose.  Right now I'm 2 lbs. from my goal weight for Lonestar and I think I'm going to make it.  I've had good luck this spring limiting the amount of sugar and meat that I eat.  I'm a stronger believer in local, fresh, organic foods.

2010-04-08 7:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Glad to be joining SWBKRUN for a second season.  I was sort of worried after my participation in the first season that I might not be included for a second one.  Sort of like when I went away to summer camp and my parents moved without leaving a forwarding address...

Seriously, though, my official bio is:  I rowed in college, and really enjoyed it.  After college, I got way out of shape.  I started getting back in shape after a friend of mine passed away and some other friends and I decided to try to raise money for his foundation that seeks to provide better educational opportunities for disadvantaged youth.  I have kept it up and this year hope to complete my first IM--with my father-in-law, who has attempted 6 IMs and completed 2.

NAME:  William

Family status:  Married with 3 kids (6b, 4g, 2b)

This Year's races:  Florida HIM, DC Sprint, Philly Sprint and Oly, Nation's Tri (Oly), Army 10 Miler, Florida IM. 

Thanks for having me and I am looking forward to a great season with all my peeps (that is how the young people say it, right?).

Edited by Tobey91 2010-04-08 8:20 AM
2010-04-08 7:50 AM

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia

Edited by sdalessio 2010-04-08 8:32 AM
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun Mentor Group- CLOSED FOR BUSINESS!!! Rss Feed  

of 328