General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 171

2010-09-13 3:52 PM
in reply to: #3095444

Regular
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread
gremlin327 - 2010-09-13 12:02 PM

JoshKaptur (BTW - nice job at IMLP this year!) have you or anybody else out there that completed IMLP also ridden the CdA course?  Just curious how IMCdA compares.  IM used to have an interactive overlay of the courses and if I remember IMLP had many more feet of climbing, so I think I will be fine. 

I ride occaisionally with a guy who just did CDA and has done LP twice.  He said CDA is definitely less hilly (easier) than LP.
Just one opinion........ 

Polly

2010-09-13 3:57 PM
in reply to: #3095880

User image

Master
Vista, CA

ki0722 - 2010-09-13 12:04 PM great run down, thank you!  I'm planning on doing it on my road bike as I have not invested in a tri bike yet.  I'm new to aero bars - did three 1/2 irons without them stupidly.  Anyone have any suggestions as to how to get used to it?? I feel very unstable in them right now.

I will pass on to what someone told me about riding my tri and in aero. She said to get used to it stay up in your handlebars to get used to the feel. Then, when you're on a straight or feel comfortable, start going down into the aero bars a little at a time. You'll start spending more and more time in them and kind of "break yourself in" slowly. It was the best advice I got. I really thought my tri bike handled differently, too. Someone described it like a road bike being like a big oldsmobile and a tri bike handling more like a responsive sports car. Made sense to me maybe it will to you, too.

2010-09-13 5:26 PM
in reply to: #3096163

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
PollyG - 2010-09-13 4:52 PM
gremlin327 - 2010-09-13 12:02 PM

JoshKaptur (BTW - nice job at IMLP this year!) have you or anybody else out there that completed IMLP also ridden the CdA course?  Just curious how IMCdA compares.  IM used to have an interactive overlay of the courses and if I remember IMLP had many more feet of climbing, so I think I will be fine. 

I ride occaisionally with a guy who just did CDA and has done LP twice.  He said CDA is definitely less hilly (easier) than LP.
Just one opinion........ 

Polly

I have not ridden the CdA course, but my understanding is that it has more short hills, but no long sustained climbs like at LP.  Because they are short enough to do it, I have a feeling people might hammer the CdA hills... which will cost you in the end.  Whereas it's almost impossible not to respect the climbs at LP.
2010-09-13 5:43 PM
in reply to: #3096408

Master
, California
Dropping a ton of coin on a compact set to get up 2-4 hills 20 seconds faster is crazy!

It's not about getting up the hills faster, it's about being able to spin up them so you don't waste your legs for the run.

However, most of the time you can achieve the desired gear ratio with a cassette swap, which is relatively cheap.
2010-09-13 6:22 PM
in reply to: #3095880

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
ki0722 - 2010-09-13 12:04 PM

great run down, thank you!  I'm planning on doing it on my road bike as I have not invested in a tri bike yet.  I'm new to aero bars - did three 1/2 irons without them stupidly.  Anyone have any suggestions as to how to get used to it?? I feel very unstable in them right now.

Best advice I got was to practice with them in the trainer. Get really used to riding aero on the trainer and practice getting in and out of the bars while you are stationary. Then take your bike to a big parking lot and practice there. After a few minutes you'll be fine I still get out of aero for scary corners and such because they can be a bit twitchy.
2010-09-13 10:38 PM
in reply to: #3092949

Champion
No excuses!
brucemorgan - 2010-09-11 6:10 PM I'm in! It will be my 8th Ironman race but the first time in Coeur d'Alene. I did a bike ride there about 8 years ago which I think was on some of the same roads as the Ironman course. I remember it being very pretty. My fastest race was IM Arizona in April 2007, when I had a great combination of winter time to train, a coach who pushed me, and a tough training plan I followed fairly closely. The last few races have had more demands on my time, no coach so it's all me , and a plan that I didn't follow consistently anyway. And I've had to recover from some injuries along the way. But mostly it's just been lack of consistency. So here's my public declaration: I'm going to get myself a coach to guide my training. Maybe an online coach, maybe a local coach. I'm going to train consistently and follow the plan and not slack. I'm going to be smart and not injure myself. I'm going to rock IMCDA!

Welcome to the group Bruce. Great to have another vet on board.

2010-09-13 10:46 PM
in reply to: #3006331

Champion
No excuses!
Well for me it is on to IMCDA. Had a horrible day at IMWI yesterday. Granted I was far from the fitness I wanted to be for it but life is life so I dealt with the cards I created for myself.

Had stomach issues for about 10 hours and could lightly jog and mostly walk the marathon so actually today I feel fine. Did about 20 sets of stairs this morning loading the truck to head home and even jogged a little in the parking lot with no ill effects. So hopefully recovery should be quick and start on the mission of getting fit for CDA.
2010-09-13 11:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pacific NW
Wow, 20 pages already!  I'm just now getting on the ball for a rental home and all the good ones seem taken.  :-(  I'm torn between staying within walking distance and paying through the roof vs. staying a few miles away and saving $1000 or so.  I would love to be closer in so that my Mom and hubby are comfy on race day.  How about the rest of you all?

I'm finally starting to get motivated again.  And trying to get serious to lose the weight I packed back on after Ironman #1 about a year ago.  Time to dust off the training plan (and the swim cap, goggles, helmet, etc........).

Looking forward to training/racing with all of you!
2010-09-13 11:23 PM
in reply to: #3096932

User image

Regular
Madison, AL

Mailed me check for the rental house on Friday.  It's about 1/2 mile from start.  And a block from run and bike course.  First time renting via VRBO, so hope it works out. Don't suppose I'll find out if I've been had till I show up in June.

2010-09-14 6:11 AM

Champion
No excuses!
sarahk - 2010-09-14 12:08 AM Wow, 20 pages already!  I'm just now getting on the ball for a rental home and all the good ones seem taken.  :-(  I'm torn between staying within walking distance and paying through the roof vs. staying a few miles away and saving $1000 or so.  I would love to be closer in so that my Mom and hubby are comfy on race day.  How about the rest of you all?

I'm finally starting to get motivated again.  And trying to get serious to lose the weight I packed back on after Ironman #1 about a year ago.  Time to dust off the training plan (and the swim cap, goggles, helmet, etc........).

Same situation here, problem is I have done 3 more since so the weight gain has been over 3 years. Yell Extra lbs and hills are not a friendly combination as I again can attest to after IMWI on Sunday.
2010-09-14 6:48 AM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
Congrats to the IMWI crowd.

I'll attest to the importance of "race weight" in terms of performance.  I'm a former 6 hour HIM guy @ 220 pounds, and a 10:20 IM guy @ 170 pounds.  I'm hoping to do CdA closer to 160.

For anyone overweight (me included - back up to 185ish and going to pay for it at Savageman this weekend), I'm convinced there's no better bang for your buck in terms of what you can do to improve your performance on race day.

And for me, my goal is not to show up on race day at the goal weight, but to spend a nice chunck of my training time there too.  Part of the "best bang for your buck" equation is that losing the weight allows you to train more/harder without injury leading up to the race.  It's not just that we're X pounds lighter on race day so have to carry X less pounds for 140.6 miles... it's that we were X-20, then X-15, then X-10, then X-5, then X pounds less... and as we continue to lose our bodies are capable of better quality training which will show up as improved fitness on race day.

I'm preaching to myself here too - don't blow it during the holidays this year and spend a few months recovering from that.  Show up to ironman build at close to ironman weight - it will make a huge difference.  IMHO, the off-season is the time where you should lose weight, not put it on.  Most of us (me included), tend to gain weight in the off season.

Edited by JoshKaptur 2010-09-14 6:51 AM

2010-09-14 7:41 AM

User image

Regular
Doylestown, PA
Thanks for the posts all... I'm learning more about IMs on this thread alone than the entire IM section.

I still haven't locked up a place to stay.  Those booking on VRBO... where are you searching/staying?  Looking to get a small place for my fiance and I near downtown... curious if anyone has found reasonable prices close by?

2.5 weeks until my first HIM, then enjoying a bit of a lighter load until Jan 1. Looking forward to training with all of you.

Interesting post on the weight loss Josh. I was wondering this myself... should I be restricting diet more in hopes of dropping from current weight 205 to say 180 come my HIM (would've done this over a 2-3 month period... will not be doing in my last 3 weeks).  It makes sense, right? A 16 mile run will feel a lot better at 180 than at 205... and recovery will obviously improve if nutrition is still proper. I'll be looking to cut weight on the way to CdA ... thanks for the advice.

Edited by ironman2284 2010-09-14 7:45 AM
2010-09-14 9:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Brentwood, Tennessee

Josh, great point on race weight.  When I trained fo IMLP I hovered around 185-190 up until January (which was 2 months before my first marathon), then decided to diet and lose 15 before the marathon and then maintain.  The problem with that tactic was that I was already running 130-140 miles/month, which is really hard to do 1) while being 15 pound over weight and 2) while dieting.  When I did the marathon I had gotten down to 169, but because of the rapid weight loss I actually was back up to 174 by the IM in July.  

This time I decided to be smarter... Again started at 191, but have been slowly losing over the last 2.5 months  down to 178.5 now with a goal of 165 by IMCdA.  I hope the progressive weight loss will accomplish much less pounding on my knees (and body in general), more productive workouts because I am lighter and not starving (ie - bonking) everytime I go out and hopefully I will be better able to maintain the weight up until race day.

It is all about power to weight ratio.  The irony is, the less you weigh, the more able you are to build power.

On another note, I booked 2 rooms at the Holiday Inn Express about 3 miles away (there are 2 HIE, the closer one off of I-90 is full).  Not ideal, but they were relativelly cheap for IMCdA race week and they can be cancelled up until 5pm the day I check in.  This allows me to look around for a better place, but know I am not stuck in Spokane come race day.

2010-09-14 9:43 AM

User image

Master
Vista, CA

We ended up booking a condo about a mile from the IM expo. I'd looked at several houses/condos and this was a bit less expensive for the week. It's a VRBO and  it was all very legal, signed a contract, gave them a deposit and there's an out clause if you need to cancel but I think the date is in May. That helps in case of injury or if my DH can't make it after all. There was a cute little condo a bit closer to the expo but just wasn't big enough for our family. It just had one bedroom and a pullout, but would be perfect for a couple. Also booked a hotel room as a back up just in case....The properties were going fast a month ago when we reserved a place.

2010-09-14 12:06 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
sarahk - 2010-09-13 9:08 PM

Wow, 20 pages already!  I'm just now getting on the ball for a rental home and all the good ones seem taken.  :-(  I'm torn between staying within walking distance and paying through the roof vs. staying a few miles away and saving $1000 or so.  I would love to be closer in so that my Mom and hubby are comfy on race day.  How about the rest of you all?

Welcome Sarah! It looks like you are in PDX or somewhere close? It would be fun to have a training buddy I'm with all of you on the losing weight front. Got down to a great race weight in 2008 when I did my 2nd IM and have been progressively putting weight on ever since. I am very focused on taking it off over the next few months so I can start training about 25lbs lighter.

I rode the course in July and the hills are brutal carrying extra poundage
2010-09-14 5:49 PM

Champion
No excuses!
Love all the race weight talk, gets me motivated just reading. Maybe we will have to come up with some sort of weightloss challenge in our group to keep everyone on track and motivated.

2010-09-14 6:05 PM
in reply to: #3096520

User image

Master
leopard8996 - 2010-09-13 6:22 PM
ki0722 - 2010-09-13 12:04 PM great run down, thank you!  I'm planning on doing it on my road bike as I have not invested in a tri bike yet.  I'm new to aero bars - did three 1/2 irons without them stupidly.  Anyone have any suggestions as to how to get used to it?? I feel very unstable in them right now.
Best advice I got was to practice with them in the trainer. Get really used to riding aero on the trainer and practice getting in and out of the bars while you are stationary. Then take your bike to a big parking lot and practice there. After a few minutes you'll be fine I still get out of aero for scary corners and such because they can be a bit twitchy.

When I first started test-riding tri bikes, a friend suggested I just put one arm in aero for starters. That helped me get used to the feel a bit. I did a lot of my early riding on trails where I felt safer from cars and such. And yeah, I don't stay aero for sharp corners or even steep descents. I'm a speed wuss and like my brakes. I also get nervous when it's super-duper windy and I'm in aero. And it can get windy on the CDA course. During a training camp last summer we had horrible weather the day we biked the full course -- high winds, some rain/hail, etc. It was a great learning experience because I rode the entire first loop of the hills on almost no nutrition because I wouldn't take my hands off my bars at all (I was not alone -- it was the theme of the discussion later that night!). Fortunately I didn't have to run a marathon after! If that happens on race day, I will pull over to make sure I get my calories in.
2010-09-14 11:02 PM
in reply to: #3097428

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olympia, WA
Great discussion on weight.  What Josh said is spot on and Gremlin, what you wrote about this is exactly right -
"This time I decided to be smarter... Again started at 191, but have been slowly losing over the last 2.5 months  down to 178.5 now with a goal of 165 by IMCdA.  I hope the progressive weight loss will accomplish much less pounding on my knees (and body in general), more productive workouts because I am lighter and not starving (ie - bonking) everytime I go out and hopefully I will be better able to maintain the weight up until race day."

I started this year in the 190s and slowly lost weight throughout the year while training for a HIM in August and now a marathon in November.  I'm currently at 166 and I've been below 170 for about six weeks now.  The difference in training is amazing.  I'm doing key workouts faster than I have ever done them, my leg muscles and knees don't get nearly as sore (if at all) after long runs, and I generally recover much quicker than previous years despite being in my early 40s now.  We'll have to see how all of this pans out on marathon race day, but having the weight down during training is definitely allowing me to train better and smarter which is returning better fitness.  Plus I just feel so darn good!  It'll be a challenge for me to avoid the holiday weight gain, but I'm so encouraged by the results this year and having CDA to plan for, I definitely have the motivation keep the weight down.

Cheers,
Brad 
2010-09-14 11:35 PM

User image

Regular
Parker, Colorado
I appreciate all the great info in this thread so far, and really benefitted from the goals discussion.  As my first Ironman I'm going with just one goal - finish early enough and fit enough that I can spend the last hour or two cheering on the last group of finishers and take in every possible minute of the day.  After getting through my first HIM Sunday, about 8 months sooner than I expected just a week ago, I'm recovering for a few days and then scaling back for 10 weeks to shorter, more intense workouts to build some power.  Then it's on to my 30 week program for CDA.  As far as weight goes, I am totally on board with not giving back any hard-earned pounds over the winter - going up hills around 170 is so much easier than what I used to deal with.  Any motivational ideas in this area are welcome.
2010-09-15 10:08 AM
in reply to: #3098707

New user

Arvada, CO
Thanks for the aero help!  I'll start with the trainer, great idea!  I rented a house a few miles away - much cheaper. And have the promise of my family to get me there and back for racing.  Sounds like a lot of us are working on weight loss during the winter.  I think the whole thing will be a lot easier with a few pounds lost!  How early is everyone getting to CDA?  Some people tell me to come in Wednesday, but others have said you're so nervous that it's better to get there Thursday/Friday.  Any opinions?
2010-09-15 10:16 AM
in reply to: #3098707

User image

Regular
Newbury Park, CA
kkcbelle - 2010-09-14 4:05 PM
leopard8996 - 2010-09-13 6:22 PM

When I first started test-riding tri bikes, a friend suggested I just put one arm in aero for starters. That helped me get used to the feel a bit. I did a lot of my early riding on trails where I felt safer from cars and such. And yeah, I don't stay aero for sharp corners or even steep descents. I'm a speed wuss and like my brakes. I also get nervous when it's super-duper windy and I'm in aero. And it can get windy on the CDA course. During a training camp last summer we had horrible weather the day we biked the full course -- high winds, some rain/hail, etc. It was a great learning experience because I rode the entire first loop of the hills on almost no nutrition because I wouldn't take my hands off my bars at all (I was not alone -- it was the theme of the discussion later that night!). Fortunately I didn't have to run a marathon after! If that happens on race day, I will pull over to make sure I get my calories in.

Holy smoke.  I'm only used to doing races in California.  Does this mean I must have a selection of clothes available in transition, depending on weather?

2010-09-15 10:51 AM
in reply to: #3099780

User image

Master
Newbury Park, CA

trinitwit - 2010-09-15 8:16 AM
Holy smoke.  I'm only used to doing races in California.  Does this mean I must have a selection of clothes available in transition, depending on weather?

Smart man should be prepared for anything from 100 degrees and sunny to 50 degrees and raining.  Smarter man shouldn't decide to leave his rain jacket in T2 when it was already low 50s and looking like rain to start the run

Arm warmers, vest, skull cap, rain jacket, long sleeve shirt..... Get them and bring them.

2010-09-15 11:30 AM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
I'm letting you know now it will be "comfortably chilly" on race day, since that is what I bargained for in signing up for this race.  The colder the better for me
2010-09-15 11:42 AM
in reply to: #3099885

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
PGoldberger - 2010-09-15 8:51 AM

trinitwit - 2010-09-15 8:16 AM

Smart man should be prepared for anything from 100 degrees and sunny to 50 degrees and raining.  Smarter man shouldn't decide to leave his rain jacket in T2 when it was already low 50s and looking like rain to start the run

Arm warmers, vest, skull cap, rain jacket, long sleeve shirt..... Get them and bring them.

Agreed! I was there to cheer friends on the past two years.  2009--COLD AND RAINY! Brrr, I felt for the athletes and as a spectator I was freezing.  Lots of athletes were running with they mylar blankets wrapped around them, etc.  My friend was smart and put a long sleeve in her special needs, and that saved her on the run.  Now, 2010--it was NOT cold.  It wasn't super hot, but definitely not cold...and I know my friends felt the heat on the run. Most told me they were quite comfortable on the ride, but that the warmth was getting to them a bit on the run. 

So, yes, plan to be prepared for ANYTHING.  It's better to have stuff you don't need in your special needs or Transition bags than to want something and NOT have it.  That being said, I volunteered at the bike special needs bag pick up this past year, and I don't know what some of the people put in there, but there were some bags that literally weighed 20lbs.  While I say be prepared, the kitchen sink really isn't needed!   (The really heavy ones actually had a decent sized cooler with ice and other stuff in it...whatever floats your boat!)
2010-09-15 1:14 PM
in reply to: #3100052

User image

Master
JoshKaptur - 2010-09-15 11:30 AM I'm letting you know now it will be "comfortably chilly" on race day, since that is what I bargained for in signing up for this race.  The colder the better for me

You and me both!! The 85 degrees and sunny this past June did not bode well for me after a spring of wet, chilly training (I don't think we broke 70 degrees in the Seattle area until mid-July!). Though I did learn plenty about nutrition adaptations to make if it's hot again next year... One of my goals is not to leave 3 bottles of partially-digested Infinit on the run course at mile 4!!

And as far as weather goes, yeah, be prepared for anything. Bring all of your crazy weather gear. You can decide the day before the race if you need to carry any. Even though I knew it was to be a hot day, I still put a long-sleeved tech shirt in my run SN bag just in case. Didn't need it but ya never know!!
New Thread
CLOSED
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 171