BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 106

2011-01-02 8:57 AM
in reply to: #3271959

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Subject: RE: McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - CLOSED
r3b3cca - 2011-01-01 11:54 PM
ingleshteechur - 2011-01-01 10:34 PM
r3b3cca - 2011-01-01 10:13 PMLooks like everyone is off to a great start!  I had a nice 7.5 mile run yesterday.  I used my Garmin 305 for the first time.  It was so fun to see my mile splits and get an accurate distance for once, but my heart rate monitor is still in the box.  Maybe I'll get it set up in a few weeks.  Right now I feel overwhelmed with all the new pace and distance data!
Don't know if you saw my earlier post...I just took my heart rate monitor out of the box & I've had my Garmin for three years!

I could see that happening to me, too. Smile Part of the problem is that I know nothing about training with heart rate, and I will need to do a little reading and research to get me up to speed. 

I have used my new Garmen 310xt 3 times now... I LOVE IT! Lots of things to learn yet, of course. I use the HRM and just love all the data. I woke up sick this morning so I missed my 8 mile run with the team. and now I don't get to download any data! BOOO!

My husband has a 305 and he can't get it to 'connect' with the HRM. Any ideas? I think he should get a new battery, just in case it's as easy as that. He's had his since August.

So should I try to run or swim or something even though I feel crappy? 

2011-01-02 9:36 AM
in reply to: #3256268

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area
Heading out for my run (11 miles) and it's 16 degrees.  Brrrrrrr!!!!
2011-01-02 10:24 AM
in reply to: #3270211

User image

Expert
Missouri
srichards428 - 2010-12-31 4:10 PM
soccermom15 - 2010-12-30 12:07 PM
srichards428 - 2010-12-29 6:22 PM
soccermom15 - 2010-12-29 3:21 PM

Iceman (makes me think “Top Gun”Smile) – Could I get you to talk to my son?  At 20 he of course, thinks he’s invincible.  When we found out he had starting smoking he told us he would quit.  Turns out he didn’t – he’s away at school most of the time so it’s hard for us to know.  He knows we don’t approve and keeps saying he’ll quit but we have our doubts.  His attitude is “it won’t happen to me”. 

n3dinc – congrats on signing up!  I started with the “what have I done?” about 10 weeks before my first tri.  But by race day I was more than ready and you will be too.

Shawn – we were at the same race in Carlyle.  I actually did wear earplugs that day because I’d heard that cold water could cause dizziness.  Seemed to help me – I may have been slow getting out of the water, but no dizziness.

Zee744 and corncub – hope you’re feeling better soon.

Well, you would think that having almost 2 weeks off work would leave me plenty of time for training, right?  Wrong!  I haven’t been able to get in nearly the workouts that I had planned, but at least I’m getting something in.  DH and I spent all day yesterday buying a new car (new to us anyway).  Such a long, drawn-out process.  I did manage to get in a short run and some strength training last night.  And now that the car issue is settled, I can get back to getting in some good workouts.  I’ve got a tempo run scheduled for tonight (6-7 miles total) – probably be on the TM since it’s cold and rainy here today. 

Janet

Are yu going to do Carlyle in 2011?  I think I'm going to sign up before the end of the year.  I saw that If you sign up before December 31, 2010 it will cost $65.00.  Better than last year prices.

I would love to do it again this year, but I probably won't be able to.  Between the race fee/wetsuit rental/overnight hotel cost/etc., I'm not sure we can afford it this year.  I think I'll be sticking with local races, but it's definitely going to be on my schedule for 2012.

You are always welcome to stay at our house.  I know about the cost of training and travelling to tri's.

My wife and I will be doing that race this year.  My wife has just started her training for the Gateway Triathlon.  This will be her first tri ....EVER.  She was a runner a few years ago but between kids and her job (college prof.) and taking care of me Laughing she has slacked off.  She is smoke free and ready to train this year.

If you want to do the race you and your family are welcome at our house.  Just let me know.

Thank you for the offer!  I'll have to see how things go over the next month or so.  Maybe I could swing it again this year.
2011-01-02 10:34 AM
in reply to: #3271959

User image

Expert
Missouri
r3b3cca - 2011-01-01 10:54 PM
ingleshteechur - 2011-01-01 10:34 PM
r3b3cca - 2011-01-01 10:13 PMLooks like everyone is off to a great start!  I had a nice 7.5 mile run yesterday.  I used my Garmin 305 for the first time.  It was so fun to see my mile splits and get an accurate distance for once, but my heart rate monitor is still in the box.  Maybe I'll get it set up in a few weeks.  Right now I feel overwhelmed with all the new pace and distance data!
Don't know if you saw my earlier post...I just took my heart rate monitor out of the box & I've had my Garmin for three years!

I could see that happening to me, too. Smile Part of the problem is that I know nothing about training with heart rate, and I will need to do a little reading and research to get me up to speed. 

Me tooSmile.  I've had the 305 for about 3 years and the HR monitor has been out of the box once - when I first got it, just to see what everything was.  Put it back in the box and it hasn't seen the light of day since.  I don't know much about HR training either, mostly I run by RPE but I'd be willing to bet I could increase my speed a little if learned more about HR training.  I tend to not push myself too hardSmile.

I'll be heading out shortly for a 9-10 mile run.  The temps dropped down to the 30's yesterday (more like where we should be this time of year), but the sun is out today and I'm going to get out and enjoy it!

2011-01-02 10:36 AM
in reply to: #3270191

User image

Expert
Missouri
ecpasos - 2010-12-31 3:53 PM
soccermom15 - 2010-12-31 1:17 PMThunderstorms and tornado watches here this morning too.  I didn't even realize things were so bad out until I heard the sirens going off.  Luckily most of it was south of us so we only got rain today - lots of wind last night though.  I went out to the grocery store after the worst of the rain went through and couldn't believe how warm it was!  Right now we're at 66*F.  So of course I had to take advantage of that and went out for a short run - in shorts and a T-shirt, on Dec 31!  Temps will be dropping to about 30* tonight though.  Really crazy weather this winter. 
Where are you located?

Sorry, I missed this!  I'm in O'Fallon, MO - about 30 miles west of St. Louis.
2011-01-02 10:51 AM

User image

Elite
I used my heart rate monitor this morning on a 4.6 mile run on the treadmill.  One problem I immediately had was that the display is so small it was hard to read while running.  I would have to jump off to the side, stop moving to see it, and then jump back on again.  If I were running outside I think I would have to significantly slow down to see it.  I was happy to see that my resting heart rate was in the low 50s.  Now I just have to figure out how to use all this information.  The highest my heart rate got was 157...not sure what zone that's in.  Again, all stuff I have to figure out but excited to do so!  I think I'm giong to find out I'm not working nearly as hard as I am capable of.

Next up...first open water swim since my August sprint tri.  Not sure how it's all going to go--warm water but cold outdoor temps. There is no wind so that's a big bonus.  We'll see how it goes!

2011-01-02 10:53 AM

Happy New Year Everyone!

I apologize for not posting in about two weeks.  I have been home with family and friends, which makes it a little difficult to post and train. 

I think I have finally figured out how to use the custom tab settings, and have added everyone to my friends list.  I also posted my weight training workout from yesterday morning.  My brother and I have a gym in the basement of our parent's house, so we were able to get in a heavy bench workout.  I have been reading a lot recently that heavy weight training may not improve triathlon performance at all, if anything.

Does anyone has experience with this?  Has anyone noticed increased swimming, biking, or running performances when lifting heavy weights?  I admit it is an ego thing for me, but it must change if I will be able to run a 10km race in under an hour!!!

Have a great day everyone and happy training!
2011-01-02 11:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eastern Pennsylvania

Good morining everyone. 

Just my .02 on the heart rate monitor, if you have one I would consider wearing it even though you aren't training by heart rate.  Why?  One of the nicest things about the Garmin is that it stores the data and you can download it to your computer and review it whenever you want to.  Once your monitor is paired to the watch you don't have to do anything extra to make it work and load the data, it does it automatically.  That way, when (or if) you decide to train by heart rate zones, you can look back at the history of where your easy or hard efforts are rather than guessing.

Art

2011-01-02 11:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
For max heart rate, an ESTIMATE is 220 minus age.  Mine is pretty accurate.  There are many web sites that will break that into zones.  Zone 2 is generally a good fat burner, that place where you can still talk (I hate you people who can do that     Higher is tempo, all out is VO2 max and can't be held more than short bursts but raises your ability to go faster longer.   I got a Garmin 310 XT last year and use the pace and distance more than anything.  
2011-01-02 11:45 AM
in reply to: #3272365

User image

Master
Orlando
ingleshteechur - 2011-01-02 10:51 AM I used my heart rate monitor this morning on a 4.6 mile run on the treadmill.  One problem I immediately had was that the display is so small it was hard to read while running.  I would have to jump off to the side, stop moving to see it, and then jump back on again.  If I were running outside I think I would have to significantly slow down to see it.  I was happy to see that my resting heart rate was in the low 50s.  Now I just have to figure out how to use all this information.  The highest my heart rate got was 157...not sure what zone that's in.  Again, all stuff I have to figure out but excited to do so!  I think I'm giong to find out I'm not working nearly as hard as I am capable of.

Next up...first open water swim since my August sprint tri.  Not sure how it's all going to go--warm water but cold outdoor temps. There is no wind so that's a big bonus.  We'll see how it goes!

I'm in Florida, so I know my cold doesn't equate with yours, but we have had some record cold weather both in Jan 2010 and  Dec. 2010.  Anyway, I mainly use an outdoor pool and swim at 6a, so i have some experience going from the cold (nothing below 30* for me) into warm water.  The hardest part is taking off the warm clothes to get into the water.  Once in, it's pretty nice.  In fact, it's kinda neat watching the steam come of the water as you swim. Of course, you have to get out sometime - that's the 2d hardest part Laughing ; it's amazing how fast I can get sweats on!  Have a good swim.

Ann-Marie
2011-01-02 12:46 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
For those of you looking to do HR-based training, here's an article on how to determine your LT thresholds. 

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=633

A couple of caveats...doing these tests HURT!!!  I typically use a 5K as my LT test.  Yea, I run it in 24ish minutes instead of 30, but I seem to be willing to push a little harder in a 5K race than I will all by myself on a track.  If you're fast (running <7 min/miles), a 10K might be more appropriate. 

2011-01-02 1:29 PM

User image

New user
Portland, OR
Thanks for all the interesting heart rate info guys!  And thanks for the link McFuzz.  I wasn't sure how to get an accurate lactate threshold without an official test.  Now I'm going to try to squeeze in a field test sometime this week.
2011-01-02 1:54 PM

User image

New user
Myrtle Beach
Lesson learned today:  I've heard that bike trainers are often either harder or easier than biking outside, depending on many variables.  Well, I've been on the trainer a lot lately, and find my "comfortable" pace is around 15- 16 mph and that a little discouraging to me.

Well, a friend came over today, she just got a new bike, so we took to the streets.  Holy cow it's way easier outside. For the same effort, I ride easily 17-18 mph. Go figure.   I need to get outside more!

That was the highlight of my day Laughing
2011-01-02 1:58 PM
in reply to: #3272365

User image

New user
Myrtle Beach
ingleshteechur - 2011-01-02 11:51 AM I used my heart rate monitor this morning on a 4.6 mile run on the treadmill.  One problem I immediately had was that the display is so small it was hard to read while running.  I would have to jump off to the side, stop moving to see it, and then jump back on again.  If I were running outside I think I would have to significantly slow down to see it.  I was happy to see that my resting heart rate was in the low 50s.  Now I just have to figure out how to use all this information.  The highest my heart rate got was 157...not sure what zone that's in.  Again, all stuff I have to figure out but excited to do so!  I think I'm giong to find out I'm not working nearly as hard as I am capable of.

Go to settings, then display, and you can actually change the screens.  I have my main screen for running set up with 4 boxes, pace, time, distance, and HR.  So you can see it easily!
2011-01-02 2:34 PM
in reply to: #3272587

User image

Veteran
Peoria Heights
RunFasterMommy - 2011-01-02 1:54 PM Lesson learned today:  I've heard that bike trainers are often either harder or easier than biking outside, depending on many variables.  Well, I've been on the trainer a lot lately, and find my "comfortable" pace is around 15- 16 mph and that a little discouraging to me.

Well, a friend came over today, she just got a new bike, so we took to the streets.  Holy cow it's way easier outside. For the same effort, I ride easily 17-18 mph. Go figure.   I need to get outside more!

That was the highlight of my day Laughing

Awesome on the bike ride!!!!
2011-01-02 2:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Peoria Heights
Did my long run (long for me) today.  Mapped out 2.24 miles.  Was expecting to have to walk at least once or twice since that is a mile further than I've ever been without walking.  I actually ran the whole thing.  I wore lighter layers today since my warmer stuff was all in the wash.  Not sure if that made a difference or not.  Just wondering if anyone else notices a difference in the length/speed they can run based on layers?

2011-01-02 4:18 PM
in reply to: #3272654

User image

New user
Portland, OR
GmrGirl - 2011-01-02 2:40 PM Did my long run (long for me) today.  Mapped out 2.24 miles.  Was expecting to have to walk at least once or twice since that is a mile further than I've ever been without walking.  I actually ran the whole thing.  I wore lighter layers today since my warmer stuff was all in the wash.  Not sure if that made a difference or not.  Just wondering if anyone else notices a difference in the length/speed they can run based on layers?

Great job!  I think you're just getting faster and stronger.  I could see the lighter layers making a difference in comfort, but not a drastic difference length or speed unless you were really overheating before.
2011-01-02 4:54 PM

User image

Elite
Got my winter swim in and if this is as bad as it'll get...I'm gold for the rest of my training!  Outside temp was 12 degrees but no wind at all.  Because this spring fed lake is in the middle of the desert, we could see the steam rising off of it for miles.  The water was lukewarm to the touch...not sure of actual temp but it felt awesome!  I took off swimming like...well, a fish in water! Ha!  The only problem was that the steam was so thick I couldn't see across the lake to spot and my lifegaurd (one of my cross country runners!) couldn't see me, either.  So, I just swam the perimeter along the bank and he walked alongside of me through all sorts of vegetation.  What a trooper he was...he was freezing out there!  I realized how much I have missed swimming and can't wait to get back out there next Sunday!
2011-01-02 5:40 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
OK everyone.  Welcome to 2011! 

If you haven't done so, please post your goals/races somewhere on your blog.  If you can't tell, this thread has been quite active, and it's hard to sift through it again and again to know what each of you is trying to accomplish this year.  I don't want anyone falling through the cracks!!  With such a large group, I really need all the small favors I can get from each of you! 

You, collectively, have done a great job answering each others' questions.  THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU!!  You've also done a great job inspiring one another.  Again, THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU!!  Those two things together make my role much easier.  I'm still up for answering all of the simple questions, so keep asking them. 

2011-01-02 6:11 PM
in reply to: #3272897

User image

Veteran
Sandusky, OH
McFuzz - 2011-01-02 6:40 PM OK everyone.  Welcome to 2011! 

If you haven't done so, please post your goals/races somewhere on your blog.  If you can't tell, this thread has been quite active, and it's hard to sift through it again and again to know what each of you is trying to accomplish this year.  I don't want anyone falling through the cracks!!  With such a large group, I really need all the small favors I can get from each of you! 

You, collectively, have done a great job answering each others' questions.  THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU!!  You've also done a great job inspiring one another.  Again, THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU!!  Those two things together make my role much easier.  I'm still up for answering all of the simple questions, so keep asking them. 

No thank you~!

As for HR monitors I started out my training last yr w/ one. It rained on one of my runs and died. I'm going to start to use the one on my garmin and see if I can gain some benefits. Thanks for the article Mike...
2011-01-02 6:37 PM
in reply to: #3272596

User image

Elite
RunFasterMommy - 2011-01-02 1:58 PM
ingleshteechur - 2011-01-02 11:51 AM I used my heart rate monitor this morning on a 4.6 mile run on the treadmill.  One problem I immediately had was that the display is so small it was hard to read while running.  I would have to jump off to the side, stop moving to see it, and then jump back on again.  If I were running outside I think I would have to significantly slow down to see it.  I was happy to see that my resting heart rate was in the low 50s.  Now I just have to figure out how to use all this information.  The highest my heart rate got was 157...not sure what zone that's in.  Again, all stuff I have to figure out but excited to do so!  I think I'm giong to find out I'm not working nearly as hard as I am capable of.

Go to settings, then display, and you can actually change the screens.  I have my main screen for running set up with 4 boxes, pace, time, distance, and HR.  So you can see it easily!

Awesome!  Thank you so much!

2011-01-02 7:16 PM
in reply to: #3272897

User image

New user

Eastern Iowa
McFuzz - 2011-01-02 5:40 PM OK everyone.  Welcome to 2011! 

What is the best way to post goals in your blog? 
2011-01-02 7:25 PM
in reply to: #3273053

User image

Veteran
Peoria Heights
n3dinc - 2011-01-02 7:16 PM
McFuzz - 2011-01-02 5:40 PM OK everyone.  Welcome to 2011! 

What is the best way to post goals in your blog? 

Where you posted McFuzz and his fuzzies is a good spot.  That way it's the first thing everyone sees when they go to your logs to look at your training.
2011-01-02 9:06 PM
in reply to: #3273076

User image

New user

Eastern Iowa
Thanks

Would like to get some thoughts from folks.  Tomorrow I am taking a spin class my neighbor teaches, will be a good workout.  Just wondering what might be the best workout for afterwards.  I was thinking of lifting or treadmill.

Thanks 
2011-01-02 9:47 PM
in reply to: #3273237

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
n3dinc - 2011-01-02 9:06 PM Thanks

Would like to get some thoughts from folks.  Tomorrow I am taking a spin class my neighbor teaches, will be a good workout.  Just wondering what might be the best workout for afterwards.  I was thinking of lifting or treadmill.

Thanks 

If you like lifting, then lift.  Spin class and the treadmill will both work your legs and cardio which you're already getting with the spin class. 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 106