BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mental Manatee Mentors Part 3--CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 85

2013-03-13 1:44 PM
in reply to: #4658145

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Mental Manatee Mentors Part 3--CLOSED
TriAya - 2013-03-13 12:08 PM

I took this picture just for you, and to prove I'm taking teeny tiny steps to sort of patter frantically around my phobia before running screaming from it again. But at least I'm trying.

P.S. The picture actually ooks me out more than sitting on it did (although that was pretty bad too, I didn't have to *look* at it).

P.P.S. Okay, the fact that I'm wearing an IM shirt with its motto, "Anything is Possible" is really funny.

Ha ha ha ha ha, great pic, Yanti!  It reminds me of the time I visited the Philly Art Museum (yes, where the Rocky steps are and yes I ran up them in a skirt and flip flops to do the victory pose at the top.  Geek.) and there were GIANT metal spiders outside as an exhibit.  It took quite a bit of will power to pose next to one of the legs (shudder).  Spiders are to me how geckos are to you. Not a fan except in very, very rare cases. Took me a while to be able to wear my team hockey jersey with the Black Widow on.

2013-03-13 1:49 PM
in reply to: #4651276

User image

Seattle

Is doing a small mountain summit 2.5 weeks out from Boston too soon?

Only 4,500' elevation gain, 10 miles round trip (but a significant amount of that would be glissading

2013-03-13 1:55 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Looking ahead to a potential predicament:  next weekend (3/23, 3/24) is my hockey playoff weekend and we play Saturday for sure at 12:45 pm.  If we win Saturday, we go to the championship game Sunday at 4 pm, if we lose, no game.  Thankfully the league did away with the most worthless event in unpaid, amateur sports, the consolation game.  The predicament is I will be due to run 9 miles as part of my HM plan on the weekend.  Obviously if we lose Sat it's not an issue, as I can run Sunday, but if we do win, when the heck am I supposed to get the run in?  The games are held about 1.5 - 1.75 hours away, not factoring in time to change, etc.  9 miles will take me around 1 hr 45 min to run.  Ha, this is starting to sound like a math word problem: if the train leaves the station at 8:00 heading west at 70 mph... LOL (question is bolded since I got a little carried away and silly)

2013-03-13 1:55 PM
in reply to: #4658467

User image

Master
Asalzwed - 2013-03-13 11:49 AM

Is doing a small mountain summit 2.5 weeks out from Boston too soon?

Only 4,500' elevation gain, 10 miles round trip (but a significant amount of that would be glissading

"Glissading is the act of descending a steep snow- or scree-covered slope via a controlled slide on one's feet or buttocks"

Learned a new word.  And it's only ok if you do it on your buttocks, AND get pics.

2013-03-13 1:56 PM
in reply to: #4658481

User image

Master
melbo55 - 2013-03-13 11:55 AM

Looking ahead to a potential predicament:  next weekend (3/23, 3/24) is my hockey playoff weekend and we play Saturday for sure at 12:45 pm.  If we win Saturday, we go to the championship game Sunday at 4 pm, if we lose, no game.  Thankfully the league did away with the most worthless event in unpaid, amateur sports, the consolation game.  The predicament is I will be due to run 9 miles as part of my HM plan on the weekend.  Obviously if we lose Sat it's not an issue, as I can run Sunday, but if we do win, when the heck am I supposed to get the run in?  The games are held about 1.5 - 1.75 hours away, not factoring in time to change, etc.  9 miles will take me around 1 hr 45 min to run.  Ha, this is starting to sound like a math word problem: if the train leaves the station at 8:00 heading west at 70 mph... LOL (question is bolded since I got a little carried away and silly)

Use the hockey game as cross training and don't run a full 9 miles?  That's what I used to do when I had hockey games on Sundays.

2013-03-13 1:58 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
melbo55 - 2013-03-13 2:55 PM

In cases like this my coach would have me move my long run from Sunday to the Thursday before the conflict.  Can you do something similar?

2013-03-13 2:12 PM

User image

Seattle
melbo55 - 2013-03-13 1:55 PM

Carry the two ... my answer is x= 

Hmmmm I might agree with Janyne and see if maybe you can get it in Thursday or Friday? I'm not sure how you have been feeling after your longer runs (and correct me if I am wrong but 9 will be pretty long for you?

Then if you have no game Sunday, go ahead and get in another run. 

Edited by Asalzwed 2013-03-13 2:13 PM
2013-03-13 2:16 PM
in reply to: #4658489

User image

Elite
Oh who knew? OWS in really choppy conditions plus standing in a chilly wind flirting with coach Johnny doesn't make your head cold better. Worse. Epic fail.
2013-03-13 2:17 PM
in reply to: #4658518

User image

Seattle

jobaxas - 2013-03-13 2:16 PM Oh who knew? OWS in really choppy conditions plus standing in a chilly wind flirting with coach Johnny doesn't make your head cold better. Worse. Epic fail.

You know what helps a head cold though, right?

You just need to execute, Jo Wink

2013-03-13 2:24 PM
in reply to: #4658519

User image

Elite
Asalzwed - 2013-03-14 7:17 AM

jobaxas - 2013-03-13 2:16 PM Oh who knew? OWS in really choppy conditions plus standing in a chilly wind flirting with coach Johnny doesn't make your head cold better. Worse. Epic fail.

yeah tried that it certainly took my mind off it!!!
2013-03-13 2:33 PM
in reply to: #4658529

User image

Seattle
jobaxas - 2013-03-13 2:24 PM
Asalzwed - 2013-03-14 7:17 AM

yeah tried that it certainly took my mind off it!!!

Oh boy and you just made my day.

Uhhhh, feel better!

2013-03-13 2:47 PM
in reply to: #4658516

User image

Pennsylvania
Asalzwed - 2013-03-13 3:12 PM

Hmmmm I might agree with Janyne and see if maybe you can get it in Thursday or Friday? I'm not sure how you have been feeling after your longer runs (and correct me if I am wrong but 9 will be pretty long for you?

You are correct, Speedy Salty.  Every new long run I do as part of the plan is long for me.  Prior to training for the HM, my longest continuously running run was 5 miles and my longest run with walk breaks was 6.5.  But as of last week I can proudly change those distances to 8 miles is my longest continuously running run!  As much as part of me loves Kirsten's idea, I do want to do my best to do the full distance of the long runs as a mental gain just as much as a physical gain, so I may craft something out of your and Janyne's suggestion.

2013-03-13 2:51 PM
in reply to: #4658572

User image

Seattle
melbo55 - 2013-03-13 2:47 PM

You are correct, Speedy Salty.  Every new long run I do as part of the plan is long for me.  Prior to training for the HM, my longest continuously running run was 5 miles and my longest run with walk breaks was 6.5.  But as of last week I can proudly change those distances to 8 miles is my longest continuously running run!  As much as part of me loves Kirsten's idea, I do want to do my best to do the full distance of the long runs as a mental gain just as much as a physical gain, so I may craft something out of your and Janyne's suggestion.

Yes, under most circumstances I would tend to do something more along Kirsten's idea as well. I actually did something very similar when I had a hockey tournament.

But in your case (and as you said), I think those steady long runs are really valuable. Just as you said, for the physical and the mental.

How did you feel the next day after the 8 miler? How about the day after that?

Edited by Asalzwed 2013-03-13 2:57 PM
2013-03-13 2:54 PM
in reply to: #4656771

User image

Extreme Veteran

kgore - 2013-03-12 1:26 PM Sorry to interject here, but I am curious: Is anyone else having major issues keeping awake since daylight savings hit? I have never had so much trouble from it...I am just barely able to keep awake!

YES! Just dozed off at my desk.  I can't seem to fall asleep until after 11:30 at night, which is past my bedtime!!

2013-03-13 3:04 PM
in reply to: #4658582

User image

Seattle
ArielLIlB - 2013-03-13 2:54 PM

kgore - 2013-03-12 1:26 PM Sorry to interject here, but I am curious: Is anyone else having major issues keeping awake since daylight savings hit? I have never had so much trouble from it...I am just barely able to keep awake!

YES! Just dozed off at my desk.  I can't seem to fall asleep until after 11:30 at night, which is past my bedtime!!

I like your avatar! Smile

2013-03-13 3:21 PM
in reply to: #4657280

User image

Extreme Veteran
StaceyK - 2013-03-12 6:40 PM

So I am probably going to get expelled from the Manatee pod for this Cry but here goes.....

I am canning my OD in April. I feel really bad about this like I have failed.

Work has just sucked for the last month and the last week in particular and the next 3 weeks aren't going to get any better. There is no way that I can get in the required training to ensure that I am able to finish at all let alone in under 4 hours. I have been thinking about it for a few days since I hurt my back again and lost more run days.

Then last night DH said that he is planning on racing the night before so that means pit crewing for me so lots of heavy lifting and a very late night (he hasn't raced for so long that I don't want to say that I can't help him out). So that kind of made the decision final.

So my new plan is to change to a full sprint on 7th April and call that the last tri for the season, and then spend some time focusing on my run over the winter and do the 12k run for a reason at the end of May, and the HM at the city to surf at the end of August. Then I will have 12 weeks to work on swim before the Mandurah HIM with the boys and I will have a great base behind me for next tri season.

Now to make the plan work around work and other stuff.

We don't kick people out for things like that! I agree with everyone else, only YOU know what's right for you.  I did the same thing last year, that I would be ready for a Oly in my first season but just didn't get the time in for training, especially the swim (my weak point), and changed to a sprint so that I could have a good race experience.  And I did, it was a really good race, and I'm so happy I didn't let the pressure I put on myself or the fear of people thinking I was weak or a quitter get to me.  It's your body and your life - skrew everyone else!

And you've got plenty more on your training and race calendar, so you are no quitter!!

2013-03-13 3:30 PM
in reply to: #4658190

User image

Extreme Veteran
Artemis - 2013-03-13 12:36 PM
TriAya - 2013-03-13 7:09 AM
melbo55 - 2013-03-13 1:13 AM

amd723 - 2013-03-11 6:55 PM Gotta tell a story on myself. I taught this afternoon at the local college. Before heading out I stopped by my house for lunch. As I was on the interstate heading to the school I realized I was wearing flip flops! Completely forgot to put my real shoes back on and then didn't have time to go back home to make the switch. So I taught wearing a suit and flip flops . I think I totally rocked that look and may try it for my next court appearance

I snorted out loud!  Way to rock the flops, girl!

Flipflops (or thongs, or the Kiwi say jandals) go with EVERYTHING. Proof!

Groan....I hate flip flops.  HATE THEM!

I don't understand what you wrote there.  Is that written in Klingon or something?

2013-03-13 3:36 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Oceanside added a Pro Panel discussion to the schedule!!!!! RINNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I'm not as "in" with the pros as some of y'all (Jo) so I'm pretty stoked about this)
2013-03-13 3:43 PM
in reply to: #4658572

User image

Extreme Veteran
melbo55 - 2013-03-13 3:47 PM

Could you flip flop a drop back week in your training plan?  If you did 8 last week, could you do like 6 on Thurs or Fri and go long next weekend?  Then you wouldn't be changing your overall long term plan mileage, which I totally understand as far as the psychological goes - I remember training for my first marathon and all my long runs being the farthest EVER; it was so awesome.  How many weeks out from race day are you?

2013-03-13 3:45 PM
in reply to: #4658595

User image

Extreme Veteran
Asalzwed - 2013-03-13 4:04 PM
ArielLIlB - 2013-03-13 2:54 PM

I like your avatar! Smile

Thanks! I think that was first post-race photo me and my friend Becky (she's on the left, I"m right) have taken, and we've run a marathon together, several halfs and an annual 10 miler.  How is that possible? 

2013-03-13 3:45 PM
in reply to: #4658642

User image

Seattle

rrrunner - 2013-03-13 3:36 PM Oceanside added a Pro Panel discussion to the schedule!!!!! RINNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I'm not as "in" with the pros as some of y'all (Jo) so I'm pretty stoked about this)

You should get a milk mustache picture with her. 

2013-03-13 3:50 PM
in reply to: #4658655

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Asalzwed - 2013-03-13 2:45 PM

rrrunner - 2013-03-13 3:36 PM Oceanside added a Pro Panel discussion to the schedule!!!!! RINNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I'm not as "in" with the pros as some of y'all (Jo) so I'm pretty stoked about this)

That would be so awesome! I joke about stalking her at the Whole Foods in Boulder (there have been sightings) but I'd say something stupid like asking her to sign my chocolate milk Embarassed

Edited by rrrunner 2013-03-13 3:51 PM
2013-03-13 3:52 PM
in reply to: #4658658

User image

Seattle
rrrunner - 2013-03-13 3:50 PM
Asalzwed - 2013-03-13 2:45 PM

That would be so awesome! I joke about stalking her at the Whole Foods in Boulder (there have been sightings) but I'd say something stupid like asking her to sign my chocolate milk Embarassed

Stupid? Vs what? Like having her sign yer bewbs? (coughcoughYanti)

2013-03-13 4:29 PM
in reply to: #4658202

User image

Master
rrrunner - 2013-03-13 9:41 AM
Artemis - 2013-03-13 10:36 AM

amd723 - 2013-03-11 6:55 PM Gotta tell a story on myself. I taught this afternoon at the local college. Before heading out I stopped by my house for lunch. As I was on the interstate heading to the school I realized I was wearing flip flops! Completely forgot to put my real shoes back on and then didn't have time to go back home to make the switch. So I taught wearing a suit and flip flops . I think I totally rocked that look and may try it for my next court appearance

I only wear them at the pool. When I was a kid, way back when, we called them thongs. I wouldn't dare do that now!

Yes! And I still slip up and get funny looks and giggles. oh well

2013-03-13 4:31 PM
in reply to: #4658190

User image

Master
Artemis - 2013-03-13 9:36 AM

Shame! I'd go barefooted everywhere, but it's not very prudent in cactus country. Yell

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mental Manatee Mentors Part 3--CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 85