BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 166

2015-01-18 6:13 PM
in reply to: #5084640

User image

, Vermont
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business
Before my watch, I used a bead counter for golf. I mainly used it for sprint sets - like if I did 10x50's or 8x100's or whatever I was doing. So much easier; pop up, slide a bead, take your 10 second break and off you go again. I was going to use a grease pencil on a piece of laminate until I found it in my golf bag.

2015-01-18 6:21 PM
in reply to: #5084685

User image

Extreme Veteran
For counting laps I just count down from the distance. So for a 400 I say 400 til I flip then 375 then 350 etc. I personally find counting down in bigger numbers more motivating.
2015-01-18 6:25 PM
in reply to: #5084689

User image

Extreme Veteran
Juan, I would love to see some pictures of where you train. Spain is on my bucket list to visit!

I got in a ride with the family today. The wind on the way back made it a work out.

Anyone up for a 5 workout challenge for the week? I do better with short term goals

And with a long weekend it gives me more options!
2015-01-18 6:29 PM
in reply to: #5084685

User image

Katy, TX
Congrats Colleen I know that's a great feeling.

Talk of the Wahoo Kickr is exciting I would love to spring for one soon. I'm still rocking a regular trainer with no connectivity (how 2008?!?)

For the Tour de Sufferlandia do you just subscribe through the app? I was taking a look this morning.

Got in 30 mins on the trainer earlier. Makes 3 workouts this week. First time I can remember that happening in awhile. Had a few Breckenridge Vanilla Porters on Nitro draft the other night that hit the spot as well. Here is to a good week everybody.
2015-01-18 7:53 PM
in reply to: shackdogei

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
NAME: Christina

STORY: I did my first sprint in 2011, and I've done a bunch of sprints and 2 Olympics since then. I've also done some centuries and MS 150s, and 5 (I think) half marathons. I'm pretty much equally slow in all 3 disciplines, but I enjoy them all!

FAMILY STATUS: single

CURRENT TRAINING: Training for Pittsburgh Marathon (my first) May 2

2014 RACES:: Until I wrote this, I didn't realize I only did one tri, a sprint with a 4-mile run. Also did a Metric Century.

RACES PLANNED FOR 15: The marathon. I'd like to do a few sprints, possibly an Olympic, and at least on century.

BEER PREFERENCE: IPAs though I'll drink almost any microbrew if it's on happy hour special.

WEIGHT LOSS: Um... no. I could lose 20 lbs and still not be skinny. I'd kind of like to but so far I haven't comitted to it.
2015-01-18 7:56 PM
in reply to: chayes

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
I think it's not too late for me to join! I mainly need a place to boast about running the furthest I've ever run as I train for a marathon, and to ask random questions about marathon training.

Also- I used to always lose track when counting laps in the pool. The thing that I found works best is counting up through the months after every 50 meters (if I'm in a 25 m pool). Of course that only gets you to 600, but it's the only way I could have any idea how far I'd swum.

2015-01-18 8:13 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Originally posted by Smiley9188

Cwpeters Chris, what is a race report? I use this as an app but it'd be awesome to store my stats somewhere! Thanks!

Congrats on the finish!

Race Reports are a part of the BT (Beginner Triathlete) site. You can keep track of all your races using this feature. If you click on the RACES tab it will give you a drop down menu with several choices. If you go to FIND A RACE, you can search for races by date, type, distance, or location. This is nice if you are traveling and want to find races near your destination. If the race you did or are planning on doing is listed, you just click on the ADD TO MY RACES tab. If your race is not listed, you will need to go back to the RACES tab, click on MY RACES, then click on the ADD A RACE tab. This will allow you to type in the name of the race then update the date. It seems clunky, but it's really not that bad. Once you have a race listed in your MY RACES tab, you can click on EDIT RACE REPORT and enter all your times and comments. The more detailed you are with your info, the better your tracking will be. Once you have put in several races, you can use the PERFORMANCE GRAPHS tab to see how you are doing as you progress in the sport. I'm pretty sure my profile is public, so if you want to see what typically goes in a report, feel free to creep around.

Edited by cwpeters 2015-01-18 8:31 PM
2015-01-18 9:37 PM
in reply to: Smiley9188

User image

Expert

Sooooo... I DID IT. My first tri! It was an indoor tri, 10 minute lap swim, 30 minute spin and 20 minute treadmill run and DANG I am so proud of me ( I feel like this is truly the only forum to toot your own horn). I did it. I pushed. I felt strong. I felt great! I know the distance doesn't exactly translate to outdoor tri distance but still, what a great intro for me. I know where my weakness is (running) and I know where I can capitalize with some speed training (swim). This was my first tri (number on my arm and leg to prove it and heck yeah I got a picture of it!) and it was very exciting. Very fun. And I had 3 long trail ales this evening to treat myself. I took the week off from drinking, so the three might hurt tomorrow. G'night team. This year is going to be so fun!

Coleen - Finishing your first race ought to give you something to smile about! That's awesome. So happy for you! And the best part - doing an outdoor tri is even better! Just think how good those long trail ales will taste then!

Congrats!
2015-01-18 9:39 PM
in reply to: cwpeters

User image

Expert
Originally posted by cwpeters

Cwpeters Chris, what is a race report? I use this as an app but it'd be awesome to store my stats somewhere! Thanks!

Congrats on the finish!

Race Reports are a part of the BT (Beginner Triathlete) site. You can keep track of all your races using this feature. If you click on the RACES tab it will give you a drop down menu with several choices. If you go to FIND A RACE, you can search for races by date, type, distance, or location. This is nice if you are traveling and want to find races near your destination. If the race you did or are planning on doing is listed, you just click on the ADD TO MY RACES tab. If your race is not listed, you will need to go back to the RACES tab, click on MY RACES, then click on the ADD A RACE tab. This will allow you to type in the name of the race then update the date. It seems clunky, but it's really not that bad. Once you have a race listed in your MY RACES tab, you can click on EDIT RACE REPORT and enter all your times and comments. The more detailed you are with your info, the better your tracking will be. Once you have put in several races, you can use the PERFORMANCE GRAPHS tab to see how you are doing as you progress in the sport. I'm pretty sure my profile is public, so if you want to see what typically goes in a report, feel free to creep around.

Chris - Thanks for answering Coleen's question. It's one more reason why I'm thankful you're a BDAS member!
2015-01-18 9:43 PM
in reply to: chayes

User image

Expert
Originally posted by chayes

NAME: Christina

STORY: I did my first sprint in 2011, and I've done a bunch of sprints and 2 Olympics since then. I've also done some centuries and MS 150s, and 5 (I think) half marathons. I'm pretty much equally slow in all 3 disciplines, but I enjoy them all!

FAMILY STATUS: single

CURRENT TRAINING: Training for Pittsburgh Marathon (my first) May 2

2014 RACES:: Until I wrote this, I didn't realize I only did one tri, a sprint with a 4-mile run. Also did a Metric Century.

RACES PLANNED FOR 15: The marathon. I'd like to do a few sprints, possibly an Olympic, and at least on century.

BEER PREFERENCE: IPAs though I'll drink almost any microbrew if it's on happy hour special.

WEIGHT LOSS: Um... no. I could lose 20 lbs and still not be skinny. I'd kind of like to but so far I haven't comitted to it.

Christina - welcome. As a Browns fan, I was tempted to tell you to go join another group - but I'm hoping letting you in gives the Browns the karma they need to finally make the playoffs next year

Seriously welcome and we are glad to have you! When is the marathon?
2015-01-18 9:48 PM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Moonrocket

Juan, I would love to see some pictures of where you train. Spain is on my bucket list to visit!

I got in a ride with the family today. The wind on the way back made it a work out.

Anyone up for a 5 workout challenge for the week? I do better with short term goals

And with a long weekend it gives me more options!

If no one has any objections - lets make Kate's suggestion our challenge of the week! Next week, we all need to complete 5 workouts during the course of the week. I would say that bricks should count as two workouts. If you workout 5x - you earn a prize of your choice. A coors light penalty if you fall short.

Who's in?

PS: For those who are new: a coors lite penalty is something you get when you fail to achieve a goal or when you skip a workout. The silver bullet should be drunk warm and if you really screwed up, then it should be flat as well. Just thinking about a CLP is enough to get me off the couch!

2015-01-18 10:11 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

DeLand, Florida
So much to catch up on...

Jennifer - thanks for the report on the Smuttynose half! Other than potentially cursing the ocean it sounds right up my alley, perfect for my first half.

Colleen - thanks for the welcome, New England weather commiseration (though today was great minus the rain - 50s all day! In January!) and most importantly CONGRATS on your first Tri!!! I've never really thought of an indoor tri before, I wonder if there are any close to me...

Juan - ever had Estrella? Fell in love with it when I visited Barcelona a couple times, only beer I've found that truly reminded me of eastern European pilsners. I've found one store here that imports it, but I think it loses something in the trip overseas...

Christina - welcome!!

Dave - I'm in for a workout challenge! When does the week start?

Workout report for me - 1 hr spin class this morning. Definitely went at it harder than last week. The bike I had didn't have a mileage estimator so I just put my est. mileage from last week in my training log...it's all pretty off anyway on an indoor spin bike...

Beer report - bottled the NB Festivus Miracle (my winter ale) yesterday, and brewed up the Bell's Two Hearted clone today before settling in for some playoff football. Only my second brew I've done on my own and it went way better than the Festivus did (no boilovers this time! YEAH! And better no forgetting ingredients )

Night y'all!
2015-01-18 10:20 PM

User image

Quakertown, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by Qua17

If no one has any objections - lets make Kate's suggestion our challenge of the week! Next week, we all need to complete 5 workouts during the course of the week. I would say that bricks should count as two workouts. If you workout 5x - you earn a prize of your choice. A coors light penalty if you fall short.

Who's in?

PS: For those who are new: a coors lite penalty is something you get when you fail to achieve a goal or when you skip a workout. The silver bullet should be drunk warm and if you really screwed up, then it should be flat as well. Just thinking about a CLP is enough to get me off the couch!

I'm in. Just to clarify, would the week in this case would be Monday thru Sunday?

Edited by Snewo 2015-01-18 11:00 PM
2015-01-19 12:14 AM
in reply to: Snewo

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
I'm in for the 5 workout challenge and agree a brick counts as 2. I also second the Monday through Sunday week.

Brag time, last week my long run was 7 miles and I struggled with a 13:49/mile pace. This week, I went 9 miles at 11:29 per mile. 2 miles further and 2:20 faster per mile! Feeling much more confident for my HM in 3 weeks. Brag over, thanks for playing along.

Chris
2015-01-19 7:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Originally posted by Qua17

Christina - welcome. As a Browns fan, I was tempted to tell you to go join another group - but I'm hoping letting you in gives the Browns the karma they need to finally make the playoffs next year

Seriously welcome and we are glad to have you! When is the marathon?

Wait... there are Browns fans? I learn something new every day on BT.
The Marathon is May 2.
2015-01-19 8:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Wow, the group is looking good. Active and engaged. just a few things off the top of my head.(sorry If I missed anyone!)

• love the Labatt 50 glass...drink of choice when I played rugby!
  • Nice job on the run Chris! reward yourself with a beer!
  • Yes I say go with Monday-Sunday for the week. I am in by the way!
  • I use months for each 50 swam.
  • Wahoo kickr..wow sweet!
  • Fenix 3/Garmin 920's man I am falling behind on the toys! Some one needs to adopt me!
  • Sufferfest-I may finally pull the trigger and download some videos...I may try the app where you pay $10.95 for a month of unlimited to try out. Anyone try it yet?
  • Colleen, great job finishing your first tri!
  • Welcome all the new people!!

2015-01-19 9:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Managed to drag my butt out of bed this morning for just about a 4 mile run and a 1/2 mile swim...ahhh, one of these years I am going to just swim once or twice a week in the offseason so I can skip this preseason swim startup pain...

2015-01-19 12:50 PM
in reply to: #5075170

User image

Extreme Veteran
Darn I was hoping Sun to Sat, but only because I got in two workouts yesterday I'm good with Mon to Sun- just motivates me more.

Got a swim in this morning and already on my second swim in about a year feel a ton stronger!

Hoping to get a bike ride in this afternoon.
2015-01-19 1:02 PM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Mark, how did your race go?

It went petty well. I took it easy with a short walk break every 6 minutes or so to keep my heel from being too angry. Not my fastest HM by any means (~2:15) but the most unique! I took a photo-op with Darth Vader and high-fived a bunch of Storm Troopers from the 501st Legion. Hopefully later tonight I'll write up an official race report.

2015-01-19 1:24 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by MOlsen

Mark, how did your race go?

It went petty well. I took it easy with a short walk break every 6 minutes or so to keep my heel from being too angry. Not my fastest HM by any means (~2:15) but the most unique! I took a photo-op with Darth Vader and high-fived a bunch of Storm Troopers from the 501st Legion. Hopefully later tonight I'll write up an official race report.

Congrats on your race!!
2015-01-19 1:26 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
20/400 (and 1/5 for the week, I'm so in on that!) was a 1350yd swim. It was super busy today because the pool is only open from 12-2p due to the holiday. For the first time in over a year I had to share a lane--makes me appreciate our facility even more.

It is gorgeous out today here (50F, sunny, no wind), so I'm hoping to finish off my meetings this afternoon and head home for some outdoor time, perhaps a walk or run with the dog.

2015-01-19 1:28 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Darn I was hoping Sun to Sat,

Haha - me too, almost the same reason. I only had one yesterday but I know I'm missing at least a couple days this week so unless we can count skiing as a workout, I'm either going to do doubles or take the dreaded CLP!

BTW - great race Mark! Sounds like a lot of fun, which is really the point of the Disney races, isn't it?

Edited by firebert 2015-01-19 1:29 PM
2015-01-19 1:36 PM
in reply to: firebert

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, Nebraska
Originally posted by firebert

Beer report - bottled the NB Festivus Miracle (my winter ale) yesterday, and brewed up the Bell's Two Hearted clone today before settling in for some playoff football. Only my second brew I've done on my own and it went way better than the Festivus did (no boilovers this time! YEAH! And better no forgetting ingredients )

I can't get Bell's here, but I think I've had the Two Hearted once. Was it all (or mostly) Centennial hops? I like that variety quite a bit.

I'm in for the 5 workouts. My legs are feeling the >2hr bike ride I went on yesterday with my cousin. Mountain bikes on the city trails. MAN the trails were crowded!! I think next time we'll head out of town for some rail trails and gravel roads. It's nice again today though, so I'm itching to get out and run. :D

GOOD JOB to all of those that had events. Feels good to complete an event, no matter how small!

-Kurt
2015-01-19 2:55 PM
in reply to: fifthcircle

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Note to self...do not take 2 weeks off of the swim. I was doing 2.8k hard workouts and still had more to give but today I did 1000 yards and got my butt kicked. Dear lord I hope my swim fitness comes back fast. 82 days until my first 70.3 and after the swim today I'm a bit worried.

Oh the bright side I'm at 2/5 for the week after a swim and bike today.
2015-01-19 2:58 PM
in reply to: fifthcircle

User image

Katy, TX
I'm in for the 5 challenge. The CLP sounds miserable.

-Ryan
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  

of 166

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 55054 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.