BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tcovert's Winter 2009 Mentor Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2009-01-15 5:49 PM
in reply to: #1909722

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Subject: RE: tcovert's Winter 2009 Mentor Group - FULL
Offthegrid - 2009-01-15 9:35 AM first, question for Todd and the group: You all can't see my nutrition log, can you? I mean, you can see total calories, fat, protein, etc., but you can't see actually *what* I ate, right? I sometimes wish I could view that of others.
lmscozz - 2009-01-14 10:38 PM

I don't think you're whining either, but it's not even been a week. Give it a chance. Give yourself a chance. Not getting one point isn't going to make a huge difference, but I see people all the time who don't eat up to 10 points of their points target that's when the starvation thing IMScott is talking about would kick in. Your food intolerances aside, maybe part of the reason you've not been able to lose is because you're not eating enough on a consistent basis. Give your body time to adapt and have patience with yourself. We are so hard on ourselves....and remember, you don't have to be perfect -- no one is! It sounds like you are being extremely conscientious and focused and that will pay off huge benefits. As you can see on this forum, we're all pulling for you and everyone else's goals for that matter. You've got support -- and some great offerings from all the peeps.I think unless you make the food logs public no one can see exactly what we're eating but can see the calories, protein etc.  

2009-01-15 6:12 PM
in reply to: #1856528

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Susie: One thing my wife mentioned when I talked about your points struggles with her last night is something that actually I see you bring up in your log. As you rightly note, there are calories in veggies (some more than others, of course) and so, at a certain quantity, they do equal WW points. I suspect Lynn would have more guidance for you on that point, but Liz (my wife) commented that it was important to take credit for points for all the veggies.

Early on, my wife was doing a lot of weighing of almost every ingredient or serving and using a points calculator so that she wasn't undercounting. Before too long, she got so she knew at least pretty aproximately what the points values of various foods/portions were (and also where it was logical and helpful to round up to the next point on something that was borderline between two values).

Just one other question/comment, and that's as to whether your food intolerances have been lifelong or not? I've had some sensitivities reduce with age (very allergic to peanuts as a kid, but only slightly sensitive to peanut oil now), but I've also had some decrease once I got out of the obese range...I can say this esp. regarding rice. I really struggled with digesting rice when I was obese and don't think twice about it now. If these are lifelong issues, then you may be stuck finding work-arounds, but you may also find that you gain some digestive efficiencies and tolerances as your weight comes down. Just something to possibly keep an eye out for.
2009-01-16 8:34 AM
in reply to: #1910758

User image

Master
tcovert - 2009-01-15 7:12 PM

Just one other question/comment, and that's as to whether your food intolerances have been lifelong or not? I've had some sensitivities reduce with age (very allergic to peanuts as a kid, but only slightly sensitive to peanut oil now), but I've also had some decrease once I got out of the obese range...I can say this esp. regarding rice. I really struggled with digesting rice when I was obese and don't think twice about it now. If these are lifelong issues, then you may be stuck finding work-arounds, but you may also find that you gain some digestive efficiencies and tolerances as your weight comes down. Just something to possibly keep an eye out for.

I could write a book! Feel free to fast forward. The short answer is: yes and no.

Basically, if you are gluten intolerant, your digestive tract is *supposed* to heal once you stop eating gluten. It is VERY easy to accidentally eat gluten. Food manufacturers are *not* required to label gluten (only wheat), and any time you eat out, you are most likely getting some gluten from cross-contamination. But I was as careful as I possibly could be, and I was still having digestive trouble. Not diarrhea, but not normal, either.

So I cut out dairy, which is another common intolerance food item. Still had trouble, though. Began reading people had trouble which nightshades (tomatoes, potatoes), trouble with rice, trouble with corn, trouble with soy. I thought, "what the heck is going on here?"

Then I discovered the book "Carbohydrate Specific Diet" for celiac disease, and it's extremely strict. Carbs come only from fruits. Also heard about Paleo Diet, which is basically the same thing. The Paleo Diet premise is that man evolved to eat meat, fish, fruits, veggies, nuts and seeds. No beans, no peanuts (they're legumes).

Paleo Diet says we were not designed to eat complex grains and only began to do so relatively recently on the human scale. Some people can eat them without trouble, others are genetically unable to eat them without problems. Paleo Diet for Athletes prescribes what to eat during exercise and for recovery, which is mainly sweet potatoes or potatoes.

Grains have been linked to: weight gain, obesity, depression, arthritis, diabetes, Chron's disease, IBS, eye problems, psychological problems, autism, ADHD, etc. etc. etc. Studies have shown that when hospitalized schizophrenic patients were given a gluten-free diet, their symptoms were cut in half. I wonder what would happen if they followed the paleo diet. Another study found diabetics had three times the drop in their average blood sugar levels and a measurable increase in good cholesterol on a low-glycemic diet (using beans and oatmeal, though) without "healthy" whole grains and high-fiber cereals. The study would likely find even better results using the paleo diet.

It's really kind of fascinating to me how many problems can be caused by diet.

I see so many severely overweight people and want to try to tell them to cut down or cut out these grains, but most are unwilling to try. These foods are literally addicting in the sense that once you eat one bite, you want more, more, more. People binge on donuts, cookies and cake, not carrots, asparagus or chicken roasted without gluten.

It is unclear to me whether the rise in gluten intolerance is caused by SO much gluten being in our diet today versus 50 years ago, or whether there is simply more awareness of it. Did I binge on gluten as a child because of the intolerance, or did the binging *cause* the intolerance? I don't know.

My brother is gluten intolerant and has lost 50 pounds by cutting out gluten alone (he eats rice, potatoes, etc., but says he doesn't understand what he can eat or not eat anymore, so I suspect he has problems, too). My mother for *sure* is gluten intolerant, but she refuses to be tested or try the diet because she says she cannot live without bread.

Sorry I rambled. I'm just fascinated by it all.
2009-01-16 8:34 AM

User image

Master
Hmm. My food logs are supposed to be public. You can't see them, though, I take it?
2009-01-16 8:38 AM

User image

Master
More info if anyone's actually curious:

Ironman athlete following paleo diet

Refuse to Regain weight maintenance blog

The Science of Fat Lose: A calorie is not a calorie blog
2009-01-16 1:14 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Good morning, all and happy weekend!

I'm sure it doesn't feel like it with the weather in some places, but we're creeping into race season. Four of you have races coming up in the next three weekends after this one. Anyone want to share how you feel about your preparations at this point?

Interesting info, Susie...thanks for sharing. I've been reading for a long time in human evolution and migrations and population genetics and have been interested in the concept of pre-agricultural human diet, so it's been a little ironic to suddenly see the Paleo Diet come up on the radar. (A Facebook friend of mine posted something about it the same day you first did, actually.) I was going to talk at some length about it...esp. the complexities of the three-way relationship of human physiology, grain, and urbanization...but I've got to get on my bike!

2009-01-16 3:24 PM

User image

Master
Hey - question for all. How do you use the BT training programs? I'm thinking I should follow one to keep from doing too much once it gets a little bit warmer, but I don't know anything about it. And I'll be starting from scratch with running again.
2009-01-16 4:39 PM
in reply to: #1912906

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Offthegrid - 2009-01-16 1:24 PM

Hey - question for all. How do you use the BT training programs? I'm thinking I should follow one to keep from doing too much once it gets a little bit warmer, but I don't know anything about it. And I'll be starting from scratch with running again.

There's at least a couple ways to at least get set up. I know you can export them and you can also import them into your log (so that they are entered as "planned" workouts). I believe most (all?) of the BT plans are time-based (run X number of mins, rather than Y number of miles), which is one thing I don't like about them (I function better looking at the mileage I'm building to, not the projected hours I'm likely to be racing), but that's a pretty typical approach to training.

Anyone using a BT plan have specific suggestions/feedback?
2009-01-16 8:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

Related broader question:  Is it worth joining at the entry Bronze level?  I think I will just to support the web site in return for this team and mentoring.  I really like the information and discussions.  If it's this good in dead of winter think how good it will be when we can all get outside to bike and swim open water.  I was just wondering if you guys who are members get a lot out of it.  I've enjoyed the articles and videos free members have access to.

On another topic, a good friend and top biker who happens to ride the same sized bikes as I do offerd to sell me a slightly used Orbea Ordu frame set!  I look at it tomorrow.  Nearly half priced for a black frame, fork and a stem.  I have to do the math and make sure I have someone in the wings as a technical director for a bike build...never did a TT bike...but I can't wait to see it tomorrow.  Kathy says go for it. 

2009-01-16 11:01 PM
in reply to: #1913330

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
IceManScott - 2009-01-16 6:41 PM

Related broader question:  Is it worth joining at the entry Bronze level?  I think I will just to support the web site in return for this team and mentoring.  I really like the information and discussions.  If it's this good in dead of winter think how good it will be when we can all get outside to bike and swim open water.  I was just wondering if you guys who are members get a lot out of it.  I've enjoyed the articles and videos free members have access to.

<>

I took awhile before upgrading to paid membership (almost a year, IIRC). Ultimately, for me it was about supporting the site more than any specific function I wanted access to. I've looked at the training plans a couple times, but don't use them (or the coaching). Don't really ever browse the articles much. There are a couple training log options I like, but I don't know if I'd miss them if I didn't renew. But the site as a whole (especially these forums) is one of the most useful I've ever seen, so helping support it seems like the right thing to do. Just my .02.
2009-01-17 7:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Dalgety Bay
IceManScott - 2009-01-17 2:41 AM

On another topic, a good friend and top biker who happens to ride the same sized bikes as I do offerd to sell me a slightly used Orbea Ordu frame set!  I look at it tomorrow.  Nearly half priced for a black frame, fork and a stem.  I have to do the math and make sure I have someone in the wings as a technical director for a bike build...never did a TT bike...but I can't wait to see it tomorrow.  Kathy says go for it. 

Membership - best triathlon money you will ever spend I will wager. I have looked at many many sites. For the non-pro triathlete who does not regularly use a power meter this is EASILY the best. (and Ron doesn't pay me to say that). You get free plans and all the other stuff and gold gives you forum acess to coaches. Much more cost effective than taking on a coach.

As to the frame build. I did a frame build but got a shop to fit the bottom Bracket and head set. All the rest is esily doable by a competent begginer. See if you can ride one made up before getting the frame as it helps to know it's going feel before spending the cash. But sounds like a good deal to me.

2009-01-17 7:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Dalgety Bay

Aloha

I scraped my shin on the pool steps on Friday. Didn't notice the small scratch at the time but know its all bruised and the small wound is seeping still! Oh well. So I didn't do the run Fri night. Today is a rest day and I am off for the night with my wiife without the kids. I'll be back Sunday night and look back in then.

Have a great weekend all.

Edited by paul walker 2009-01-17 7:51 AM
2009-01-17 7:58 AM
in reply to: #1912906

User image

Veteran
Dalgety Bay

Offthegrid - 2009-01-16 9:24 PM Hey - question for all. How do you use the BT training programs? I'm thinking I should follow one to keep from doing too much once it gets a little bit warmer, but I don't know anything about it. And I'll be starting from scratch with running again.

It is pretty straight forward once you have decided which one you will follow. So the first stage is choosing one.

Decide on the sort of races you are looking to do would be my suggestion then look at the description plans and see what is best suited to your current ability. Ask in the forums if you want advice.

Once chosen you can upload to your planned training log and then paste it to your blog view when you want. You can also just upload say only the swimming part of one log and the other sections from another. You can have it finishing on a certain date or starting from a specific date. It is really very flexible.

If you leave a message for me I'll look for the instructions that are pasted somewhere on the site when I get back.

Thake care. Paul

2009-01-17 3:46 PM
in reply to: #1912561

User image

Master
Long Beach, CA

tcovert - 2009-01-16 11:14 AM Good morning, all and happy weekend! I'm sure it doesn't feel like it with the weather in some places, but we're creeping into race season. Four of you have races coming up in the next three weekends after this one. Anyone want to share how you feel about your preparations at this point? Interesting info, Susie...thanks for sharing. I've been reading for a long time in human evolution and migrations and population genetics and have been interested in the concept of pre-agricultural human diet, so it's been a little ironic to suddenly see the Paleo Diet come up on the radar. (A Facebook friend of mine posted something about it the same day you first did, actually.) I was going to talk at some length about it...esp. the complexities of the three-way relationship of human physiology, grain, and urbanization...but I've got to get on my bike!

I have the Surf City 5k coming up in two weeks. I feel good about it. Running is my weakest sport, so I don't expect too much. It is the first of the season and I took a lot of time off, so a PR isn't going to happen. I haven't done a run that long in a while, so it will be good to see where I'm at before considering a tri next month. Two things that helped me decide to do this race were the people doing it and the atmosphere of the race. A lot of BTers that I know will be there, which makes it fun. Also, there is a beach party with beer and surf bands after. Gotta love that! I think it will be a fun party to kick off my third season...oh yeah...and some running too!

2009-01-17 4:59 PM
in reply to: #1914021

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
sealiongirl - 2009-01-17 1:46 PM

I have the Surf City 5k coming up in two weeks. I feel good about it. Running is my weakest sport, so I don't expect too much. It is the first of the season and I took a lot of time off, so a PR isn't going to happen. I haven't done a run that long in a while, so it will be good to see where I'm at before considering a tri next month. Two things that helped me decide to do this race were the people doing it and the atmosphere of the race. A lot of BTers that I know will be there, which makes it fun. Also, there is a beach party with beer and surf bands after. Gotta love that! I think it will be a fun party to kick off my third season...oh yeah...and some running too!

Just FYI: Liz and I are still talking about coming down on race day and hanging out to cheer on the BT contingent. Depends who's in the Super Bowl (she doesn't care since her Patriots didn't make the playoffs, but I'm kind of a Ravens fan, so I'd want to watch if they make it to the "big game").
2009-01-17 5:45 PM

User image

Master
Vista, CA
IceManScott - 2009-01-16 6:41 PM

At first I didn't pay, but then felt like I wanted to support Ron and the BT site because I do believe it's given me a lot. I eventually upgraded to the silver when I wanted access to the Sprint to Olympic distance bridge plan. I did follow their workouts, both that one and a sprint plan last year and I feel had pretty good success. I still have a to learn/know about what you can do with the site, but as Todd said, the people have been terrific and I've really gained a lot -- so I'll be renewing when my time comes.

Question: Does anyone on here join USAT? I figure with as many races as I did last year I would have saved a few dollars. Just wondering what you get for your membership other than not have to pay the $10 day fee for sanctioned events.

Good news on your bike, Scott! 

I got a really good deal on a used fluid trainer, BTW ($50) -- will use it this week.

2009-01-17 11:43 PM
in reply to: #1914165

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
I've joined USAT and renewed once. Definitely pays for itself if you do at least 4 USAT sanctioned tri's a year (you'll have to pay $10 each for required insurance). Five of the six tri's I did in 2008 were USAT sanctioned, so I would have paid $50 total for the insurance, so I saved $11 with my dues payment.

Other than that, I'm not sure there's a lot of benefits for most age groupers. I visit the site to look at my ranking at year end, but that functionality is not great...they spent most of 2008 trying to fix it. There are some discounts out there to be had on gear...can't remember if I've used any so far.

(And I'm a big tri geek...I put the USAT sticker on my car...so there's that...)

Edited by tcovert 2009-01-17 11:46 PM
2009-01-18 4:27 PM
in reply to: #1903991

User image

Regular
Leesburg,

I was a little shaky with my goals for this week...

Monday: Swim 900 yds  I only swam 800: I forgot to do my last set of 25s
Tuesday: Swim 900 yds, Run 3 miles
Wednesday: Bike 6 miles
Thursday: Swim 900 yds, Run 3 miles  Didn't run - I was out all evening at a soccer game
Friday: Rest
Saturday: Run 5 miles  I ran a little less than 2 miles, I felt really sick
Sunday: Bike 8 miles

All in all, I feel like I had a pretty good week I suppose.  I get really annoyed myself when I miss a scheduled training session or when I cut it short.  Hopefully this week will be better.

Goals for this upcoming week:

Monday: Swim 1250 yds
Tuesday: Swim 1250 yds, Run 3.5 miles
Wednesday: Bike 8 miles
Thursday: Swim 1250 yds, Run 3.5 miles
Friday: Rest Day
Saturday: Run 5 miles (although my running club is hosting a social run with a 6 mile route so I will most likely do that)
Sunday: Swim 10 miles

Lynn, I went ahead and signed up for USAT when I saw how many races I was going to be registering for... I did the math and I found that I saved a bit of money by signing up.  As for perks, you save on the $10 USAT fee for each race... and you get a cool sticker... but that's about all that I can think of 

Edited by Ambular 2009-01-18 4:28 PM
2009-01-18 9:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

I joined USAT a couple weeks ago for the discounted entries and to support the sport and I figure I'll find some other pluses.  I'm getting lots from talking to you all, reading articles and getting input from lots of sources.  I also joined BT today as a Bronze member and subbed to Triathlete magazine after reading their Feb. edition.  Really good info for beginners. 

I also made the deal on the Orbea frame and wrote a friend who is an Ironman who just left here to manage sales at a Trek Store in Tennesse.  Hopefully, he'll be able to ship me the parts I need for the build.  He was my teacher for my first build, a titanuim LeMond.  Great bike. 

Hope everyone has a great week.  Going up to 40 this week by Thursday!  Maybe I'll get to run outside.   

Edited by IceManScott 2009-01-19 7:05 AM
2009-01-19 12:11 AM
in reply to: #1915540

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
My wife and I subscribe to TRIATHLETE magazine...I'd recommend it.

Which reminds me that USAT publishes a magazine, TRIATHLON LIFE (or used to...haven't gotten it in a while...hmmm...), that you get with membership. So that's another benefit of membership.
2009-01-19 12:31 AM

User image

Master
Long Beach, CA

Hi everyone! I really dropped the ball on this week's goals. I had wanted to do my 7 training workouts and only did three. I missed two days due to family stuff. I would have had to do double sessions both days this weekend, but life was too crazy for that. So, there's always next week. I'll be out of town on Monday and Tuesday, but have short workdays on Wed, Thu, and Fri, so I'm hoping to easily get in the 7 this week!

Enjoy your Martin Luther King Day and Inauguration Day! I'm missing both to travel for a family funeral. It wasn't someone I was close to, but I am someone else's ride who was close. I'll check back in with ya on Wednesday!

2009-01-19 6:38 AM

User image

Regular
Leesburg,

I know that everybody is looking for deals on gear, etc and I myself am a HUGE fan of chainlove.com - Yesterday I purchased a bike rack for my car for $80 cheaper than what they sell it in the store for!  Well, I just got an email today saying that they have another 'sister site' to chainlove - bonktown.com.   I checked it out this morning and it's the same set up as chainlove but with different deals.  I just thought that I would share!

*Note: the key is to 'stalk' the sites, since they only post one deal at a time.  Over the past two months I have purchased an Adidas cycling jersey for $60 less than what I saw it for at Dick's Sporting Goods, tires, tubes, and the bike rack 

2009-01-19 9:36 AM
in reply to: #1915808

User image

Veteran

Thanks for the deal sites Amber, I'll check them out. 

Question: do you think it's necessary to have a 'tri' bike as a beginner?  I have an awesome Fuji Silouette commuter bike w/tri bars and upgraded components that I've ridden as far as 115 miles in a ride so I'm comfortable using it for long distances.  My budget is saying no to any big bucks equipment this year so I'm wondering how important a tri bike really is given my lack of tri experience.  Feedback from all you vets is requested...

I modified yeasterday's workout by shoveling snow x2.  I began today by shoveling snow x1 and then I went swimming.   I'm done with the snow already.  The swim was not good because I'm having breathing problems but I stayed in the pool for 30-35 mins. and moved the whole time so it's better than not.

X-country skiing this afternoon should replace the lost runs and cycling of the weekend.  Winter in New England makes you crazy - but creative Smile

hope you have a great MLK day.

2009-01-19 11:17 AM
in reply to: #1916040

User image

Master
Vista, CA

You all back east are much hardier than I  -- shoveling snow -- up to 40 degrees. I bow to you all.

And, I, too love, love a deal. Thanks for those sites. As far as a tri-bike. I have debated about that one, but realized I have a pretty good LeMond I've been riding for about a year now. It's done fine so far, but the longest I've ever ridden is 50 miles...so far. From what I've read/heard unless you buy a middle to more top of the line tri-bike they aren't that much better than the road bike. Of course it's the geometry and the weight, aerodynamics, etc. If money is an issue, IMHO, I'd just get some  aerobars if you don't already have them. That's what I'm planning to do later in the summer as I approach my HIM. I figure that will give my legs the different angle they need while riding to then run 13.1. It's an on-going thought in my head, too though -- Tri bike, or not?  They are pretty sexy-looking.

My goals for the week: Take care of my legs, eat/fuel my body properly, don't overdo it and get those 2 key runs in -- easy swimming and easy cycling in prep for next Sunday's 1/2. 

My knee (ITB insertion point) hurt last night and had to take an ibuprofen -- I don't usually take OTC meds, or prescription ones for that matter.

Off to the garage for a bit of core work -- not impact, non aerobic.

Enjoy the MLK day.

2009-01-19 11:23 AM

User image

Master
Folsom (Sacramento), CA

Hey everyone,

So I have been doing some thinking lately (always dangerous) and I want some to get some opinions. I've always had a long term goal of getting to an Ironman, and after watching the tv coverage of Kona over the weekend, I've finally decided I need to set a date and stick to it. My question: Is 18 months from couch to ironman doable? I am looking at IMCDA 2010. I figure that with my age, I should be able to get to that level of fitness in 18 months, but that means 18 months of training with no off season. I wont be looking to Kona qualify or anyting, but if I am going to put the effort in, I would rather not be crawling across the line at 16:59. So, is this doable or should I look at a 2011 IM?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tcovert's Winter 2009 Mentor Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 45