BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Experior and Slornow's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 46

2012-01-12 6:20 AM
in reply to: #3942424

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Experior and Slornow's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED
X2 on the trigger point therapy kit and ART.

2012-01-12 8:16 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario
Further question - went to roll out the calf last night and it was really painful.  Also found a knot/lump that was the most painful.  Any ideas on what this is - should I try and roll this part out?  It was pretty bad.
2012-01-12 9:28 AM

User image

Expert
Salem
My understanding of Trigger Point is to target those and work them.
2012-01-12 12:20 PM

User image

Had a good short run this morning.  It's been exactly one month since my marathon and I finally feel like my running legs are 100% again.

Group ride after work.  If last week was any indication, it's going to be a hammer fest.

2012-01-12 1:32 PM

User image

West Texas
Thanks for the support guys. I had an ok run last night. It was cold and I didn't stretch as well as I should have so about halfway through my tibialis anterior muscles (muscles in the front/outside of leg) just tightened up as much as they could and were screaming. But it was still an ok run, just reminded me of the importance of stretching.

Blanda - I'm impressed (like everyone else) with the riding and the views.

PreRace Jitters - I have to find someone to talk to and distract myself until the gun/timer beep.

Hope everyone is doing well.
2012-01-12 3:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Hillsborough, NJ
Thanks for all the tips - was making myself laugh thinking about being angry and smiling at the water.

Rene - Your story was what made me rethink my initial thought of asthma and realize that it was probably nerves.

Although, I may go with Dennis' first thought about Valium! BECAUSE I was being good and taking the day off training because of the race tomorrow - and decided to do laundry - picked up a basket wrong and zap! Threw out my back - actually, more like my hip. So now....I'm not sure what tomorrow holds. I always knew that laundry would get me! My daughter said that it would sound cooler if I couldn't do laundry because I hurt my back doing triathlons - I agree with her!

2012-01-12 4:04 PM
in reply to: #3986983

User image

Elite
Ontario

CKslowpoke - 2012-01-12 4:16 PM Thanks for all the tips - was making myself laugh thinking about being angry and smiling at the water.

Rene - Your story was what made me rethink my initial thought of asthma and realize that it was probably nerves.

Although, I may go with Dennis' first thought about Valium! BECAUSE I was being good and taking the day off training because of the race tomorrow - and decided to do laundry - picked up a basket wrong and zap! Threw out my back - actually, more like my hip. So now....I'm not sure what tomorrow holds. I always knew that laundry would get me! My daughter said that it would sound cooler if I couldn't do laundry because I hurt my back doing triathlons - I agree with her!

Here's hoping the back works itself out over night and you're okay for the race.

2012-01-12 7:15 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Ceril-hope you get feeling better soon!

Trainer ride this evening.  Back in the pool tomorrow and then some longer rides/runs over the weekend.

Randy

2012-01-12 7:37 PM

User image

Master
Trainer workout this morning with a treadmill run after work. I hate running on the treadmill. But with the cold and damp weather we're having it seemed like the best choice. Texans are wimpy when the temperatures drop. Thank good I don't live anywhere cold.
2012-01-12 10:23 PM
in reply to: #3987416

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia

Catwoman - 2012-01-12 8:37 PM Trainer workout this morning with a treadmill run after work. I hate running on the treadmill. But with the cold and damp weather we're having it seemed like the best choice. Texans are wimpy when the temperatures drop. Thank good I don't live anywhere cold.

I don't know how you handle the summer heat in Texas!  Egad!

Had a nice 7.5 mi run today outside - almost 60 degrees when I started.  By the end, threatening clouds and lots of wind.  Still, been great winter running weather in Virginia this year!

Stu

2012-01-12 10:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario

Got a run in today, unfortunately on the treadmill.  We had snow in the morning which turned into rain around noon.  Too slushie.  Made for a long run, felt like it anyway.  Also, just finnished bike workout on trainer ( I don't mind the trainer).  Hopefully I'll get my two workouts in tomorrow, time permited.

good night!

2012-01-13 7:14 AM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Hi Gang.  Sorry to have been away.  I worked 20 hours straight yesterday into this morning.  I turned in my work at 7:00am, then rode the trainer for 45 minutes to wind down, and I'm going to bed now.  I'll catch up later.  Best to all!
2012-01-13 9:56 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Other than Ceril's New Orleans trip does anyone have big plans for the weekend?

Randy

2012-01-13 11:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Memphis

Everybody stop!  There's obviously a glitch in the matrix.  My training volumes are off.  I've swam longer than I've ran and ran longer than I've biked.  What's going on?

I have my long run planned for tonight so that should get the run time/mileage up pretty good for me.  Tomorrow morning I want to get in a constant 60 miles with practically no rest breaks except for the potty which I will also do on race day.  If I get done early enough on Saturday I might just hit the pool for a couple thousand yards.  If I accomplish all of that I will be happy.

As always I have a new/different ailment.  I think I always have multiple but only realize the one that is the worst.  Now it is the outside of my right calf.  Doesn't hurt while running or walking.  I notice it going up/down stairs and on the downstroke of the bike.  I skipped a trainer ride last night because of it.  I think it's the result of pushing too hard a few nights ago on the last mile of the run.  I will never learn.

2012-01-13 1:09 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Dennis-good job on the workouts.  Seems like everyone  is having calf problems lately.  Don't push it too hard...better a few easy days now than to miss several weeks.

Pretty good (if that is even possible) swim workout for me.  Main set was 20X50 on 1:00.  I kind of like the 50 sets like that as they are short enough that you can focus on technique, get a short breather in to maintain form and still feel like you are working.  Looking ahead my main set on Monday is 15X100....not looking forward to that.  I know its not much for the swimmer types but a bit daunting for someone like me that should probably be doing duathlons. 

Going to be a chilly morning for a ride tomorrow but I am looking forward to getting outside on the bike for a change.

Randy

2012-01-13 1:17 PM

User image

Got in a good run this morning.  Going to swim 2k after work.

Not too much going on this weekend.  I have a BBQ tomorrow night for a friend's birthday, but I'm the DD, so it should be a mellow night for me.  Monday I just plan to catch up on some sleep, then go ride my favorite hill climb sometime during the day...4.5 miles at an average grade of 5.6%.  I'll probably do 2-3 rounds of it.

2012-01-13 1:21 PM
in reply to: #3988855

User image

slornow - 2012-01-13 8:09 AM

Pretty good (if that is even possible) swim workout for me.  Main set was 20X50 on 1:00.  I kind of like the 50 sets like that as they are short enough that you can focus on technique, get a short breather in to maintain form and still feel like you are working.  Looking ahead my main set on Monday is 15X100....not looking forward to that.  I know its not much for the swimmer types but a bit daunting for someone like me that should probably be doing duathlons. 

Everytime I wonder why my swimming doesn't improve, I always have to realize that I swim about 20% of the volume that a real swimmer does. 

2012-01-13 1:44 PM
in reply to: #3988855

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
slornow - 2012-01-13 2:09 PM Looking ahead my main set on Monday is 15X100....not looking forward to that.  I know its not much for the swimmer types but a bit daunting for someone like me that should probably be doing duathlons

Randy

Sorry Randy, now that you've shared your rankings in the various sports, it's pretty clear that in the arena of triathlons, you're more than an adequate swimmer.  Don't sell yourself short - I'd say your balance in the 3 disciplines is your strength.

Did a 1x1500 swim right after an hour bike.  26.34.  Would like that to be under 25.  Not sure I can get there with just 2x / week swims.

Have a great weekend everyone!  Unlike last weekend, I'm actually going to have one.  Dinner tonight with the girls and chainsawing tomorrow!  What more could a guy ask for?

Stu

2012-01-13 3:34 PM

User image

Master

Balance in training: I have been slacking in the running department. I just have no time for solo, long runs in the afternoon with all the swimming & biking (not including runs I do off the bike), which means I'll have to do them in the morning. Boooo!

This weekend: At noon today (Saturday here) we're doing the Xterra bike course. If it looks good, going into the hills. If it's mucky, just doing the hills on the roads and grass areas.

Sunday morning I'm doing GEAR adventure race in the morning, which I'm looking forward to. It's my and my partner's first one. I really hope we don't have to use the whistle, LOL! She's strong on the bike, but not much of a runner. I'm a runner still learning on the bike. Our plan is to just keep someone, ANYONE in our sight and plug away. Then Sunday night after all that, I have a soccer game. My captain and teammates will not be happy if I don't perform well, so I'm hoping I can get a good nap in between the two events. My husband is awesome for having my back this weekend.

Edited by Blanda 2012-01-13 3:37 PM
2012-01-13 5:14 PM

User image

Master
We have great plans for the weekend. Tomorrow morning we're going up to watch the Olympic Marathon Trials in Houston. My son goes back to college tomorrow afternoon. On Sunday morning, I plan on running the EP 5k on part of the Houston Marathon race course. I feel kind of wimpy only running a 5k when everyone else there is running a half or full. Since I'm already going to be up there to volunteer it seemed like a good idea to get a race in at the same time.
After racing then I'm going over to Mile 17 to volunteer at the water station with Team Red, White and Blue.

Hopefully with the longer weekend I can finally get caught up with the posts in this group!
Have a great weekend. I'll try to take pictures at the trials tomorrow and post them on my blog.

Edited by Catwoman 2012-01-13 5:19 PM
2012-01-13 11:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Hillsborough, NJ
Well - no race for me today - however, organizers were/are very cool at my gym and I'll be running my own little consolation Tri sometime next week after New Orleans - if my back cooperates. In the meantime, I'm totally psyched for my trip.

Rene - Pretty cool that you get to both participate and volunteer. Been thinking about volunteering for Ironman NYC since that's only about an hour away from me. I don't know if I missed a link, but not sure where your blog is!

Blanda - sounds like a fun weekend ! So great that you have the family support!

Dennis - who are you? Actually- your training log looks great. Hope the aches and pains heal up. I've been thinking of you lately - every time I see a Tri bike in my size go on the classifieds here. Sadly, my road bike has been neglected this week! Since my 'race' is on spin class bikes - i figured i should get there and ride one before the actual race! Planning out the next 16 week training goals - lots of running in my future. Cervelo special deal tempting you?

Maybe I'll get a chance to catch up on more posts soon. Work has been crazy on top of everything - only taking a small break now - then going back into it - just 3 or 4 more hours to go then I can start vacation!! I'll post some pics of my not-so-paleo trip.

Randy - I think we made some reservations: Dante's Kitchen, GW fins, August, Galatoirs - It should be fun!

2012-01-14 12:46 AM

User image

Master

Ceril: Have a lovely time on your trip. I hope the little break will give your back time to mend.

I am stoked. I climbed that last dang hill that was giving me problems the last Xterra course rides! You know, the one that's like a wall? Between the improvements on the bike and with the swimming, I'm visualizing myself actually doing the Xterra race feeling good, and not so much panicky and barfy, lol!

That's down. Now the GEAR race tomorrow morning. I hear it's pretty flat. Thank goodness. Today was tough, as we went into the mud bog part way. I wiped out huge and ended up in a puddle big enough to swallow me up to my neck in caca water. My teammate who was with me looked like she threw up in her mouth. Nasty, stagnant water.

Hope you're all having a good start to the long weekend!

2012-01-14 7:52 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Ceril-sorry the back problems kept you from doing the race. Get better and have a blast in NO.

Blanda-sounds like great improvement on the course and you will be ready come race day.  Your race today/tomorrow sounds like fun.....although I couldn't handle a full sided soccer game the same day.  You are a fitness machine!

Rene-wish the trials were being broadcast live. It will be broadcast on NBC from 3-5 EST  today for those interested.

Stu-thanks for your nice words on my swimming.  I do OK in placing at races but my discouragement is more of a "when will this get easy/easier question".  With running and biking I can do an easy pace and feel like I am barely working.  With swimming even my easy pace feels like work.  I think it goes back to what Jason said about triathletes actually swimming such a short amount of time/distance as compared to "real" swimmers.  A buddy of mine once told me that his goal is to swim as fast as the 12 year old girls on the local swim team.  He was not being demeaning he just figured that in terms of time spent in the pool and years of training that would be about as good as he could ever hope to be.  I understand what he meant.

I'm trying to decide whether to gear up and go outside for a bike ride (its 28 degrees here) or do my run today and long bike tomorrow when it is a bit warmer.  I don't have too much cold weather riding gear.  I guess I could get on the rollers in the garage but 2 hours of that is not very appealing...relly wanted to ride outside.  HMMM...more coffee and then I'll decide.

Randy 

2012-01-14 11:24 AM

User image

Expert
Salem
Well it looks like it is going to be a cold one tomorrow for my Half-Marathon.  Snow is predicted for the early start and probabaly turning to rain later.  When in Oregon you do as what Oregonians do...Run in the rain and snow!!! 
2012-01-14 3:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario

Long run completed today...Longest run in a long while.  Very cold (-6F with the windchill) and sidewalks very slushie, icy, snowy and some parts clear.  Fisrt week of plan went very well, only missed one run workout, have one bike tomorrow to complete the week.

Brian, good luck tomorrow.  Hope weather holds up for you.

Blenda, good luck at GEAR race tomorrow

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Experior and Slornow's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 46