Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 73

2009-01-09 8:30 AM
in reply to: #1856701

User image

Expert
Missouri
Subject: RE: swbkrun's group- CLOSED
I got my entry form for the Olympiad Half Marathon & 10k in the mail yesterday (I'm planning to do the 10k).  Now I just have to fill it out and send it back.  Sounds like it's a pretty low-key, small race.  Awards are only given to the top 3 male/female and top male/female Master and Grandmaster for each race.  No T-shirts (I have too many of those already anyway), no age group awards, and no finisher medals - just ribbons for all the finishers.  But it only costs $5 ($10 for late entry).  I've never done a winter race before so this will be interesting. 

2009-01-09 9:04 AM
in reply to: #1896161

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
tahrens - 2009-01-08 7:30 PM
SSMinnow - 2009-01-08 6:31 PM

swbkrun - 2009-01-08 3:44 PM Yeah, but what did you do?  Where is the confirmation number?

It kind of hurts my feelings/irritates me/drives me crazy that I actually need to provide a confirmation number to prove to you that I actually act of my intentions.  I've been signed up for Boston since it openend and the 1/2IM as of today. So what do you have to say to that boss?

Your entry for the 113th Boston Marathon has been received, and your credit card has been authorized for payment in the amount of US $116.00. Submission ID #: 9002785.

Suzy  - 2009 Lake Geneva Triathlon Confirmation # XM2SC27Subtotal: $152.53

YOU GO GIRL!!!!

Wow, I guess I didn't read this full email carefully enough.  I was encouraging your enrollment in the race Suzy.  That is fantastic. Steve and Suzy, I was not trying to promote a fight here. Sorry if my intentions were mis-read as well.

2009-01-09 9:24 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

Jeremy,

I have a question for you, being a fireman. I noticed you have the ROAD ID add posted on your log page.  I never leave the house without mine.  My question is, how familar is the first responder community with these tags?  I've read several blogs on BT about them, and most of the firefighters/cops/EMTs say either they are great, or they never notice them.  What is your opinion?  Luckily I don't have any medical needs listed on mine, it is strickly for ID purposes. But I've had 2 friends get hit by cars (intentionally) while out on bike rides in my town and I am cautious about that happening to me.  I am forced to do a lot of riding and running alone.  Thanks for your input on this.

2009-01-09 10:18 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Good question Tracy and I am curious as well.  I do not have one yet but plan on ordering one today.  I really started riding last spring and I love it but I am scared to death about someone hitting me.  I generally ride alone and love to train but it freaks my wife out big time.  I am sure I am not the only one but it weighs even heavier on my mind since my second son was born 6 months ago.  
2009-01-09 11:39 AM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
Janet. Great to hear you have the application and are going to return it. Shows how dedicated we are to making sure we stay fit. It's not the size of the race or even the awards given. It's all about getting out and doing it.

I had a good swim today 2600M the first 1900m warm up (ha ha) was for the HIM this year. After that I did 300m legs only and 300m arms only focusing on my technique. I finished with a lazy 100m and the last lap I was doing a very slow float on my back day dreaming and ran into the end wall. Good thing I wasn't going fast. At least the life guard had a good laugh. She said she was going to yell but wanted to see if I would really run into it. She's actually a great person and we both laughed about it.

Edited by Redknight 2009-01-09 11:57 AM
2009-01-09 12:49 PM

User image

Expert
Auburn AL

Hey everyone...I have been MIA for a few days.  Been on a business trip for the last few days with meetings and have been totally away from the computer.  I have also had this crappy cough that I have been dealing with.  Thanks for the inspires from a few of you wishing me to get feeling better and wondering where I have been.  I am back.

I have been trying to keep a little training going a little and haven't been totally loafing, today I will try to get my logs up to date.  Plus I have a few pages here to catch up on.  Just got my Garmin 305 in, so looking forward to checking it out today.  Hope everyone has been doing well.

2009-01-09 1:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Hope you feel better Barry.  Enjoy the Garmin, I love my 305. 

2009-01-09 3:59 PM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.

Barry, Hang in there.  Seems to be a bunch of CRAP going around this year.  Hope you get better quickly. I had a friend once say to me.... "Man with as healthy as you are, you sure get sick a lot."  Yes we do, because we sure beat our bodies down.  That is why recovery is important, rest is important, eat right is important, laughter is important, good wine is REALLY important!! The occasional Jack and Coke will CURE EVERYTHING !!! UM.....  

I hope all have a great weekend.  I am going to try and get to the pool.... 1st time since Ironman Canada?  Should  be interesting... Also going to see Marley and Me!!

2009-01-10 7:58 AM
in reply to: #1898497

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia

LoL, we dropped to the 2nd page, can't have that.

This might sound like a funny whine but it is tough buying all these bike parts.

Lost a cockpit yesterday at lunch on e-bay because my phone couldn't refresh fast enough, lost in the last 8 seconds.

Watching 20 items or so on e-bay.

Have 4-5 people I am exchanging e-mails with on Slowtwitch for bars, derailluers and a rear wheel with powertap.

Using a craigslist search tool and looking all over the place for parts.

All this and the only thing I have bought since my initial brake/crank/aero-shift  purchase last month is a buy it now on e-bay for the headset.

2009-01-10 11:49 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Hi Everybody.....

I have a question on hands-free hydration systems for the bike. Who has one they love?  I found this one, but am not sure if it is worth the money or will even fit on my bike.  The place where I am buying my new bike recommeded the Profile Aero Bottle instead.  Sait it was less money, hands-free and easier for them to install.  Any other ideas?

Cranked out my 15m run today so am slowly creeping my way back to something that resembles a long run. Still behind where I was last year, but at least the trend is positive.

Have a great day!

Suzy

2009-01-10 11:49 AM
in reply to: #1899326

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
dalessit - 2009-01-10 7:58 AM

LoL, we dropped to the 2nd page, can't have that.

This might sound like a funny whine but it is tough buying all these bike parts.

Lost a cockpit yesterday at lunch on e-bay because my phone couldn't refresh fast enough, lost in the last 8 seconds.

Watching 20 items or so on e-bay.

Have 4-5 people I am exchanging e-mails with on Slowtwitch for bars, derailluers and a rear wheel with powertap.

Using a craigslist search tool and looking all over the place for parts.

All this and the only thing I have bought since my initial brake/crank/aero-shift  purchase last month is a buy it now on e-bay for the headset.

Be patient...you will be proud and fast when you get it put together.

2009-01-10 2:57 PM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
HOly Mackeral what a busy day for posting in all the forums.
2009-01-10 3:59 PM
in reply to: #1897214

User image

Master
Small Town
tahrens - 2009-01-09 10:24 AM

how familar is the first responder community with these tags? 

As a whole (nation wide) I don't think that the RoadID is very well known, however we are all very aware of medical ID tags, usually found on a necklace or wrist band.  

For any significant trauma we remove all clothing.  This usually involves using shears that cut through anything.  So if anything is tight against the skin, attention will be drawn to it.  Along those lines, if a patient is wearing shorts, it will be easily visible.

So really there is no reason in the case of a trauma, that the fire/amb should't find it.  I work next to Michigan State University and we respond to car vs bike / pedestrian accidents regularly.  Personally, I do look for ID/medical info attached to people.

Here is what I put on my RoadID - I recomend that people use these just for the posibility that an accident occur, but some people put motivational slogans on there too.

My Name (Full Name)
No Meds - NKDA (No Known Drug Allergies) This is important!
My Phone Number - Wife's Cell Phone Number
My Father's Phone Number

I put multiple phone numbers down as during training, my phone is left my daughters nanny, during a race my wife will always have her phone, and just in case no contact can be made at the other numbers, my father is my closest relative (pertinent for the ER's)

You can put anything that fits on the ID tag with RoadID.  They are one of my affiliate sponsors, so if you (***Warning - I'm about to promote buying a product***)  click on the link from my training log and buy a RoadID, you get a discount... albeit about $1.00 or 10%.

The last good feature that I'll put here is that the velcro size is perfect for your race timing chip, so you don't need to borrow/rent one on race day.

2009-01-10 4:16 PM
in reply to: #1899564

User image

Pro
SSMinnow - 2009-01-10 9:49 AM

Hi Everybody.....

I have a question on hands-free hydration systems for the bike. Who has one they love?  I found this one, but am not sure if it is worth the money or will even fit on my bike.  The place where I am buying my new bike recommeded the Profile Aero Bottle instead.  Sait it was less money, hands-free and easier for them to install.  Any other ideas?

Cranked out my 15m run today so am slowly creeping my way back to something that resembles a long run. Still behind where I was last year, but at least the trend is positive.

Have a great day!

Suzy

They are good.  Expensive, but good. The profile one is good, but moves around easy, and could slosh, splash, etc.  I have used one for a few years with no major issues, and the new one's have a lid on them....  Here is another alternative...

http://www.neverreach.com/page/page/276159.htm

2009-01-10 4:56 PM
in reply to: #1899932

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
swbkrun - 2009-01-10 5:16 PM

Hi Everybody.....

Have a great day!

Suzy

They are good.  Expensive, but good. The profile one is good, but moves around easy, and could slosh, splash, etc.  I have used one for a few years with no major issues, and the new one's have a lid on them....  Here is another alternative...

I would try the profile one first and see how you like it, they are cheap, I have no problem using mine at all.  If you are doing longer races and wanted to have 2 different drinks available they make a larger one with 2 chambers.

I have the new one with the cap, I still put the squishy thing in and it doesn't leak at all.

2009-01-10 5:56 PM
in reply to: #1899932

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
swbkrun - 2009-01-10 4:16 PM

Hi Everybody.....

Have a great day!

Suzy

My wife thought the neverreach looked like a colostomy bag...so I would stear away from that one...lol

2009-01-10 6:56 PM

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
Just saw a documentary where 3 guys ran across the Sahara Desert in 111 days...that is 170 marathons without a day off.  I am sitting here wondering how I am going to pull the 13 miles off at the end of my HIM.  Pretty inspiring...I think i can do it.
2009-01-11 12:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Alexandria, Virginia

Hey, I just came back from a swim and got a little pain in both of my achilles when doing kick drill with my zoomer fins.  When I take them off, the pain goes away.  It is almost like a cramping.  I wonder if using the zoomers puts my foot at a different angle, which causes the pain.  I heard that zoomers are good because it makes your ankle more flexible, helping propel you more when you kick.  Should I just suck it up, or what?

2009-01-11 1:58 PM
in reply to: #1900718

User image

Champion
brownnugen - 2009-01-11 12:01 PM

Hey, I just came back from a swim and got a little pain in both of my achilles when doing kick drill with my zoomer fins.  When I take them off, the pain goes away.  It is almost like a cramping.  I wonder if using the zoomers puts my foot at a different angle, which causes the pain.  I heard that zoomers are good because it makes your ankle more flexible, helping propel you more when you kick.  Should I just suck it up, or what?

Hi Nick

Great question and I will be interested to see what others have to say.  Out of curiousity, why do you wear them? for drills?

I used to wear fins when I first started swimming because I would actually go backwards when kicking.  My teacher attributed it to my runner's background and inflexible ankles. For me the fins were a problem.  By using them,  I never developed a strong pull and I often got calf cramps so I dumped them.  Now I do straight kick drills on my side or back and use the pull to help me when doing some drills, like sculling or fists.  I would not say my kick provides a lot of propulsion.  In fact, I spent a lot of time slowing it down because it was so fatiguing.  It seems to get the job done.

PS I recently read somewhere that if you want to improve balance you should do streamline kick drills and if you want to impove speed you should do vertical kicking in the deep end. 

Suzy

2009-01-11 4:02 PM
in reply to: #1900818

User image

Veteran
Alexandria, Virginia
SSMinnow - 2009-01-11 2:58 PM
brownnugen - 2009-01-11 12:01 PM

Hi Nick

Great question and I will be interested to see what others have to say.  Out of curiousity, why do you wear them? for drills?

I used to wear fins when I first started swimming because I would actually go backwards when kicking.  My teacher attributed it to my runner's background and inflexible ankles. For me the fins were a problem.  By using them,  I never developed a strong pull and I often got calf cramps so I dumped them.  Now I do straight kick drills on my side or back and use the pull to help me when doing some drills, like sculling or fists.  I would not say my kick provides a lot of propulsion.  In fact, I spent a lot of time slowing it down because it was so fatiguing.  It seems to get the job done.

PS I recently read somewhere that if you want to improve balance you should do streamline kick drills and if you want to impove speed you should do vertical kicking in the deep end. 

Suzy

I started using the zoomer fins because the masters coach mentioned that they would help get my ankles more flexible, which would make my kicking more effective.   I "think" they also had the effect of giving me more of a leg workout than with no fins.  I definitely feel more tired when using the fins than not.   I only use them soley during kick drills, not when swimming.  I don't use them to compensate for anything, sometimes I feel like I can do those drill faster if I didn't use them. 

I also come from a running background, so maybe runners simply have stiff ankles.  But I never had the problem of my kicking making me go backwards.

2009-01-11 8:17 PM

User image

Master
Small Town

My legs are still sore, then I had a lower body lifting session yesterday and ran hilly intervals today on the treadmill...  I am supposed to (want to) swim tomorrow.  Dare I?  I'm planning to hydrate better in the am and then do FRS in the am and just before the 1pm swim.  I definately need the pool time!

2009-01-12 6:28 AM
in reply to: #1901394

User image

Champion
JHagerman - 2009-01-11 8:17 PM

My legs are still sore, then I had a lower body lifting session yesterday and ran hilly intervals today on the treadmill...  I am supposed to (want to) swim tomorrow.  Dare I?  I'm planning to hydrate better in the am and then do FRS in the am and just before the 1pm swim.  I definately need the pool time!

When my legs are tired or sore, swimming is usually pretty good for them.  I limit the kick sets and use the pull a lot more while focusing on stroke mechanics/drills.  Hydrate and go for it!

FRS? Is that the beverage that Lance is pushing? do you like it?

2009-01-12 7:33 AM
in reply to: #1901750

User image

Master
Small Town

Yes, FRS is sponsoring Lance Armstrong.  Basically, it's a multi complex B vitamin with quercertin.  It really is the same thing as all these 5 hour energy, but it's a higher concentration and much larger volume.  I don't use it regularly, but per FRS, you'll get the best benefit by using it twice daily (and of course, buying it regularly).

I do like it though.  I regularly take multivitamins, so adding a B complex before a workout isn't a big deal to me.  

They have a few options: you can get the juice concentrate,  a powder mixture (single serving), or the little chews.  I eat the chews, I think they taste good (Pomegranite flavor). 

2009-01-12 11:47 AM

User image

Pro
Slow day on the ol' BT... I hope everyone had a great weekend!  Dissapointed weekend for me!  NO SWIM!  That was my one goal this weekend....
2009-01-12 1:31 PM
in reply to: #1902371

User image

Champion

swbkrun - 2009-01-12 11:47 AM Slow day on the ol' BT... I hope everyone had a great weekend!  Dissapointed weekend for me!  NO SWIM!  That was my one goal this weekend....

Does that mean you will swim twice as long and twice as hard today?

I went to the pool armed with my new work-outs that WILL get me ready for the 12/IM in September. Left feeling like I had done pretty well, slow, but it did not kick me in the butt.  Only thing I noticed is my left shoulder is sore, not painful.  Who has some good pre/post swimming stretches? or advice what might be causing the issue?  I see my swim coach tomorrow so will ask him, but thought you all might have some advice.

I agree with Steve.  Things are a little quiet with the rest of the family.  What's shakin?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun's group- CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 73