BT Development Mentor Program Archives » MAD MANATEE Mentor Group (TriAya & lmscozz)--CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 38

2011-01-09 2:27 PM
in reply to: #3286925

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: MAD MANATEE Mentor Group (TriAya & lmscozz)--CLOSED!
jogo - 2011-01-09 4:32 AM I AM A RUNNER again! Great cold (13 degrees ) run with yak trax pro on my shoes. I haven't been this excited since my manatee 5k last April.My HIM plan is 18 weeks so it starts Feb. 13. It is from trinewbies. It seems manageable for my level. Right now, I am playing and enjoying. I am doing a trainerfest with the Michigan BT'ers tomorrow so 2-3 hours of t.I.t.s.

yeeeeeaaaah for running! and that 'manatee race' always cracks me up--do you still have the t-shirt?

How did you decide on the trinewbies plan? FWIW, although it really lacks specifics on the workouts/how to do them, I think it is a really solid plan, especially on the cycling portion, and I think it's really smart to have bike in miles and run in minutes.

Having done marathons-training will be an enormous benefit to you on the HIM run portion. [for the rest of you, it's by no means necessary, not even for an IM, but if you have done an open half-mary or mary before it sure helps the confidence].

and congrats on sharing your T.I.T.s. with a bunch of other BTers, it's a great experience, ain't it?

2011-01-09 3:02 PM
in reply to: #3288257

User image

Veteran
TriAya - 2011-01-09 1:18 PM
kalico123 - 2011-01-09 3:56 AM
Thanks Yanti.  (and for all the rest of the previous info and humor!)

....so...  how much cycle/cycle/cycle should one be doing?  I have to do all of my winter riding on the trainer until April at least. I will be riding with a tri-club 2 times a week and then supplimenting with my own rides for the next 4 months. Just wondering how many "long" rides I should be doing and what you would consider a long ride on the trainer. (should I go by time or distance??)  And should it just be at a fairly easy/steady ride?

.. I know.. so many questions ... but I really am silly tri newbe who doesn't have a clue how to train for this!!!

Hoy Kathy, how did I -just- notice you are in Regina? (rhymes with ...) Anyway, do you know Marina? She's a fellow BTer there ...

ha ha new to tri you may be, but silly you are not ... I think I have the market cornered on silly ... but I'm happy to share stock, I'm a giver that way

What kind of an overall training program are you following (your logs say Winter Maintenance run focus, but that's definitely not what you're doing)? You look like you're putting some great cycling volume in at a decent clip and are steadly increasing. what are the rides with the tri-club like?

You are going to remember to input your races and your goals and how you plan to achieve them on the spreadsheet for your, my, and all of our easy reference, right?

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0An7ZkKfHG1L1dHphaHc0aFczX0FkOEdhaERqWG0wa1E&hl=en&authkey=CJGo6JsM

the easy answer is: follow an appropriate training plan, and yes, that will prepare you adequately.

Additionally, however ... This is just my opinion, but in the interest of getting big T.I.T.S. (time in the saddle) that will serve you even better on race day, sneak in as much 'extra' riding as you can. Not by adding workouts, but by adding ... a commute. A leisure ride. A few errand rides here and there. Hop on the trainer during commercials or a slightly longer phone conversation. do a very easy warm-up ride TO the tri-club ride and cool down on your way back.

It is astonishing how this adds up.

As i said, you're already putting in good cycling, so it's not going to be a big stretch for you by the time you really get into the thick of a HIM plan to exceed it. some plans have as few as a couple of 50-mile rides as long rides and I think that's a travesty. If you can, get in a half-dozen 60+ mile long rides and come race day ... even if it's your first HIM and your goal is to have fun and finish (as is appropriate for a first shot at a distance), it's going to be a LOT easier to do both.

for now, not so much 'easy' but definitely steady, like you've been doing. don't be afraid to push it once in a while (as in hills on the group rides or going harder or in a bigger gear on the trainer) as long as it doesn't interfere with your ability to complete the distance you're riding and be good to go whenever your next workout is. cycling won't kill you like running might, and you're well on your way.

...rhymes with .... what.... ???   Yeah... when someone asks.... I'm from Saskatchewan!! ... much easier that way! (don't know Marina tho!)

I realize my logs says winter maintenance - running as that was my original plan - but with the injury I've pretty much had to scrap that - thus the focus on the bike the past month.   Haven't started training with the club yet - starts this week so will have a much better idea then.   I'm pretty sure they will be high intensity with drills and intervals and hills etc. (he likes hills  since we have NONE to train on outside in this province --- just a lot of wind!)

I haven't decided on a plan yet. My HIM isn't until July - so don't know if I should start one now or wait 'til 4 months out as most are 20wks.    The group I'm starting with this weeks will be training 2 swims/2bikes/3runs a week together and it is scheduled for us to get the third swim and bike in on our own.  This goes until April.

So... since I won't be commuting anywhere anytime soon... I will take your advise and jump on the trainer to get extra time on it when ever I can.   Thanks Yanti!
2011-01-09 3:50 PM
in reply to: #3288268

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

TriAya - 2011-01-09 3:27 PM
jogo - 2011-01-09 4:32 AM I AM A RUNNER again! Great cold (13 degrees ) run with yak trax pro on my shoes. I haven't been this excited since my manatee 5k last April.My HIM plan is 18 weeks so it starts Feb. 13. It is from trinewbies. It seems manageable for my level. Right now, I am playing and enjoying. I am doing a trainerfest with the Michigan BT'ers tomorrow so 2-3 hours of t.I.t.s.

yeeeeeaaaah for running! and that 'manatee race' always cracks me up--do you still have the t-shirt?

How did you decide on the trinewbies plan? FWIW, although it really lacks specifics on the workouts/how to do them, I think it is a really solid plan, especially on the cycling portion, and I think it's really smart to have bike in miles and run in minutes.

Having done marathons-training will be an enormous benefit to you on the HIM run portion. [for the rest of you, it's by no means necessary, not even for an IM, but if you have done an open half-mary or mary before it sure helps the confidence].

and congrats on sharing your T.I.T.s. with a bunch of other BTers, it's a great experience, ain't it?

I was searching for plans and that one seemed doable.  Some of the BT plans start out at 3300 yds of swimming (okay, maybe not till the second week) and I found them overwhelming.  This plan does have specifics for the swim which is where I need it most. The run portion I will be good with and I need the miles spelled out for the bike.  It seemed okay for me, who just wants to finish without getting pulled off the course for not making the time limits.  

2011-01-09 4:31 PM
in reply to: #3288405

User image

Melon Presser
jogo - 2011-01-10 4:50 AM

I was searching for plans and that one seemed doable.  Some of the BT plans start out at 3300 yds of swimming (okay, maybe not till the second week) and I found them overwhelming.  This plan does have specifics for the swim which is where I need it most. The run portion I will be good with and I need the miles spelled out for the bike.  It seemed okay for me, who just wants to finish without getting pulled off the course for not making the time limits.  

If you follow that plan pretty consistently, you are going to make it WELL within all the cutoffs. and that's really what you want, since racing on that line--while it can be exhilarating--kind of adds unnecessary stress to an already pretty stressful day.
2011-01-09 6:42 PM
in reply to: #3283712

Diet has been a sucking point for me.  I can't seem to stay away from stuff that I shouldn't have.  We've had 4 birthdays at the office in the past 2 weeks, each one with cake, and I always eat some and then feel gross afterwards.  Then today, we had an all day meeting and they brought in Chick-fil-A.  I ate 6 of the chicken tenders!!  There was fruit and salad there too, which I had some of - and then I ate 2 brownie bites.  Some days I do well, and other days I just reach for whatever looks yummy.

6 chicken tenders? I ate almost that many Chic-fil-a sandwhiches on a bad day last year
2011-01-09 6:43 PM
in reply to: #3285249

TriAya - 2011-01-07 3:53 PM CHEESE.

that's it. the next time i do a long workout--2 hrs or more, this'll probably be a looong time coming--i'm having a pop tart with cream CHEESE on it afterwards.

because i can't imagine anything more heavenly.

don't forget the milk.

Never heard of that before (w/ cream cheese that is) and I must say it sounds delicious!

2011-01-09 6:44 PM
in reply to: #3286552

mackjenn - 2011-01-08 12:27 PM Help!  I'm trying to pick my plan and cannot decide between the intermediate 21 week Olympic or the 20 week beginners half ironman (both silver programs with volumes I think I can fit in).  I don't like the silver custom plan - can't input over 1900 yard swim in the planned race and no detail in workouts.

I'm 21 weeks from the Escape from Alcatraz tri and I'd like to perform well and have fun (not PLANNING on winning, so fun is more of the intent without embarrasing myself).  After this race, I have a sprint 2 weeks later and then an oly and 1/2 ironman (each about 1 month after the last).  My primary races are 1)  Escape  (june 5)  and 2)  I/2 Iron in August.  Others are basically "practice" type races to replace training.  Following the initial 20-21 week training plan for Alcatraz, I'll switch to an 8-16 week plan for remainder of summer.

alcatraz !?! All I can say is wow!

Thats a goal for me ONE day.
2011-01-09 6:47 PM
in reply to: #3288047

Today was the trainerfest.  I went through 2 bottles of water in 1 hour 45 minutes and we passed the container of oatmeal raisin cookies that knewbike brought around about an 1 hour in to the fest.  After the trainerfest is food fest.  I replenished with a bottle of beer (yes, before noon on a Sunday) and some hummus/veggies and another oatmeal raisin cookie.  I feel a thousand times better than I did last year at a trainerfest where I had nothing but water on the bike and limited my after bike intake to just fruit and veggies.  Beer is one of my favorite recovery drinks and they serve it at many tri's and running races after the race.  Tastes so much better than those powdered recovery drinks. 

Beer is probably how I got hooked on triathlon. When I did my first race ever last July, the bike shop that sponsored it invited everyone there (very small race) to thier shop for free pizza, garlic knots, and beer.
2011-01-09 6:49 PM
in reply to: #3288230

God bless Margarita blocks.

MY FAVORITE!!
2011-01-09 7:08 PM
in reply to: #3256055

IT has been a very busy week and I just now finaly caught up on the last 5 days of posts.

The two main things I have been able to do were put together my 2011 race schedule and my 2011 goals.

My races are all in North Carolina-

Ellerbe Marathon 3/12/11
Wilmington Ahtletic Club Triathlon 4/3/11
White Lake Half 05/07/11
Statesville Rotary Triathlon 05/14/11
Enka Triathlon at Biltmore Lake 6/11/11
Ballantyne Triathlon 07/16/11 
Lake Logan International Triathlon 8/6/11

There was a lot of thought goign into picking them. I am obsessive. My goals are too many too list, I think. I wrote a long post on my blog (below) about the reasoning for my schedule and about my goals.

Yesterday and today were my first medium/long rides outdoors in the cold (30's). Anyone have any tips for riding in the cold. I have never rode too much (some MTBing) this time of year. I wore Bacalva, Underarmor cold gear turtle neck, standard jersey, underarmor compression tights, standard bibs, wool liner sock, standard cycling sock, full finger cycling gloves, and fleece gloves. I WAS STILL FREEZING! It took me 10 minutes after I got home just to feel my fingers and toes again. When I left I also had one of the chemical toe warmers.

Any tips???
2011-01-09 7:38 PM
in reply to: #3288759

User image

Veteran
Austin
Tucker_lr - 2011-01-09 7:08 PM 

Yesterday and today were my first medium/long rides outdoors in the cold (30's). Anyone have any tips for riding in the cold. I have never rode too much (some MTBing) this time of year. I wore Bacalva, Underarmor cold gear turtle neck, standard jersey, underarmor compression tights, standard bibs, wool liner sock, standard cycling sock, full finger cycling gloves, and fleece gloves. I WAS STILL FREEZING! It took me 10 minutes after I got home just to feel my fingers and toes again. When I left I also had one of the chemical toe warmers.

Any tips???

I have no tips (boy am I helpful!), but would love to hear what people have to say about what to wear when biking (hot, cold, anything) - it confuses me! 

2011-01-09 8:09 PM
in reply to: #3288816

lounav - 2011-01-09 8:38 PM

Any tips???

I have no tips (boy am I helpful!), but would love to hear what people have to say about what to wear when biking (hot, cold, anything) - it confuses me! 

Not to good with cold (I freeze easily, thermostat set to AZ)- I know I should invest in things like a jacket/vest, pant bibs- at minimum boot covers, helmet cover, vest but I am hoping for other suggestions until I can get together the $ for these.

During other parts of the year (not so much of a problem)-

Early Spring- bibs, jersey, long sleeve compression shirt under it (I have been thinking baout knee warmers and Sockguys makes tall socks)
NC Summer 1- bib, short sleeve jersey
NC Summer 2- bib, sleeveless jersey
NC Summer 3- bibs and completely unzipped jersey (if I were more fit I would probably go shirtless)
Winter- my problem area (note we go from hot to hotter and then back to winter)

I also undertand Sidi makes winter cycling shoes.
2011-01-09 9:25 PM
in reply to: #3288816

User image

Master
Vista, CA

lounav - 2011-01-09 5:38 PM

Any tips???

I live in CA so my cold is nowhere near yours, but.....you might try those hand and foot warmers that people use to put in their boots and gloves while camping. During my 70.3 HIM last year I had them stashed in my bike shoes for after the chilly swim in 58 degree water. They did make a difference. YOu can also tuck one down your shirt. It's kind of like a mini heating pad. They had them here at our Target in that front section where everything in $1 and $2 and I bought up a bunch. Other than that you can find them at REI and other camping stores.

Just found them http://www.rei.com/search?query=camping+warmers&button.x=0&button.y=0

2011-01-09 9:35 PM
in reply to: #3288047

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Responding to --   I have not idea what to do for 58 miles during an HIM. 

Just wanted to chime in on some options for training and racing nutrition. First, what Yanti said about train with what you plan to use during the race. And, that means trying different things while training now so you'll be set by race day.

There's some mix ins that have carbs you can mix with an electrolyte drink, one I've used is Carbo-Pro. It doesn't really have a taste just adds calories and carbs to your drink. Cytomax is another that has carbs and cals. Personally, I can't stomach Hammer products, but many people swear by them. Definitely see what they'll be serving on the course.

As for food, Cliff bars have always worked for me, but taken in in little bites, not a whole one at a time. Also there's something called Bonk Breakers that are very calorie dense and help prevent bonking. Again, eat 1/4 of it at a time and space it out over your ride. I've also done trail mix, peanut butter and honey or PBJ sandwiches, pretzels and peanut butter pretzels. It's much easier to eat on the bike and not have it upset the tum-tum.

For running, it's really different for each individual. I can pretty much eat right before I run, usually dry cereal and PBJ with banana on rice cake type things called corn thins. I try to keep my calorie intake as low as I can without sacrificing performance and/or nutrition. That's a big challenge, but so far, so good. Thankfully, I've not had nutrition issues on my HIM.

Here's the link for the Bonk Breakers so you can read about them: http://www.rei.com/product/771689 

Edited by lmscozz 2011-01-09 9:36 PM
2011-01-09 9:42 PM

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Also wanted to turn you all on to swimplan.com if you don't already know about it. You can input your swim level and get a free swim workout every 24 hours or upgrade to premium for "more" stuff. I just do the basic free one. I have Tinkerbeth to thank for the site.

2011-01-09 11:09 PM

User image

Regular
Redlands, CA
I need help, please.

I *might* be riding my first half century next month.  I would like to put on some aero bars for this ride.  However, I have no clue what I am looking for.  So many styles, lengths, brands....

I am worried that I will buy the wrong one because my height is a factor.  I am short.  I have a 44cm road bike.

I am open to all input.  Do I need them?  What should I look for?  I would like carbon, but is it unnecessary?

2011-01-09 11:15 PM
in reply to: #3284935

User image

Regular
Redlands, CA
TriAya - 2011-01-07 1:02 PM
iluvmybeamer - 2011-01-08 1:20 AM
TriAya - 2011-01-07 11:33 AM
iluvmybeamer - 2011-01-07 11:39 PM I'm thinking about buying an EMS (electronic muscle stimulator).  There is one on Amazon.com that is reasonable in $ (here's the link:  http://www.amazon.com/LG-TEC-Stimulator-Carrying-Electrodes-Include... ).

But I have no clue what I'm buying.  I have only used this type of device once.  Does anybody have one?  Have any comments on why I should or should not get one?

Depends entirely what you used it for, how you felt it helped you, and what you want to use it for now or in the future. LG is a solid electronics company and that looks like a decent TENS/EMS unit.

I used to tutor PT students and worked as a physical therapy volunteer at a spinal-injuries occupational therapy facility, so I know a little bit about these things ...

I have tendonitis (left calf).  I got the screaming rub down last night and it's still there.  Othro said that an EMS will help.  I have used one, but it was a cheapy one from one of those asian massage places.  It was not strong enough.  Hubby wants to share too.  He's got plantar fasciitis.

Will the EMS help?

it sure might and if you're using it on recommendation from an ortho (ask about strength/cycles), fantastic.

for your hubby the TENS function might be more appropriate--the EMS is less likely to actually help heal PF, but the TENS is quite likely to help with the pain. he's doing all the right 'other' stuff for PF including not aggravating it as much as possible, right?

I know. I'm a busybody and know-it-all. Anybody please feel free to disregard my advice, I certainly do so often enough myself [rolls eyeballs and sighs]

Yup, hubby rested.  He has taken a long break from running.  He should be okay when he gets back into it.  He noticed that his running form started to degrade the last mile of his run.  Pushing too fast pace and rushing his training IMO.  I think he's learned his lesson.  He's a good runner, with a good running background, so he'll be fine.

My tendonitis is a reoccurring thing.  But I have nailed down the problem and the fix.  I just didn't know if and EMS was worth the money and how much it would really help the problem.
2011-01-09 11:51 PM
in reply to: #3289099

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO
iluvmybeamer - 2011-01-09 10:09 PM I need help, please.

I *might* be riding my first half century next month.  I would like to put on some aero bars for this ride.  However, I have no clue what I am looking for.  So many styles, lengths, brands....

I am worried that I will buy the wrong one because my height is a factor.  I am short.  I have a 44cm road bike.

I am open to all input.  Do I need them?  What should I look for?  I would like carbon, but is it unnecessary?

Joni - you don't need aerobars for the ride and, depending on what the ride is and who you are riding with, you may not want them at all.  When riding in a group, areo bars are kind of a no no unless you are in the lead due to the safety concerns of stopping quickly and control of the bike - they are best when riding long solo rides. 

If this is a long solo ride, then get them but don't expect to drop down and haul for 50 miles. They do take some time to get used to and don't perform well on uphills or a tight turn course.  Also consider $ per lbs of weight savings between carbon and alum..  You don't want to spend a lot of money for something you won't like.  Is weight a major consideration - primary reason for carbon (that and it is sexy).

My first pair was the cheapest ones I could find and I used them until I knew what I NEEDED different (I found I needed adjustable arm pads (narrow or wide spacing), adjustable fore and aft lenght, and pads that would move so I could still grip the top of my handlebars for riding more upright).  I sold the original set and ended up with a set of the profile airstryke.  I liked them because they offer many hand positions (underhand grip or overhand depending on where you grab it) as well as what I needed above.  Plus I can mount and remove them without re-taping my bars. http://www.profile-design.com/profile-design/products/aerobars/aluminum-aerobars/airstryke.html

So - in selecting a pair, what I would look for:
- adjsutability for forward / aft positions due to your concern over size / length. (some shops will help mount).
- Since going on a road bike, something that can be put on and removed without removing the handlebar tape each time.  Maybe the first time you have to re-tape to expose the mounting areas; however, after that you should not have to worry about it.
- Multiple grip positions (I like having more than one choice)
- Angle of grip - what can you live with?  Try one that keeps your forearms and wrists relaxed and in a neutral position.
- how will they look on your bike?  not a necessary thing, but why make a sweet bike look not so good.

BTW - be prepared to make seat adjustments.  You will probably want to raise the seat slightly and move it forward.  If you are already all the way forward on your seat, you may not be able to get a comfortable position with areobars.
2011-01-10 12:39 AM
in reply to: #3289124

User image

Regular
Redlands, CA
mackjenn - 2011-01-09 11:51 PM
iluvmybeamer - 2011-01-09 10:09 PM I need help, please.

Joni - you don't need aerobars for the ride and, depending on what the ride is and who you are riding with, you may not want them at all.  When riding in a group, areo bars are kind of a no no unless you are in the lead due to the safety concerns of stopping quickly and control of the bike - they are best when riding long solo rides. 

If this is a long solo ride, then get them but don't expect to drop down and haul for 50 miles. They do take some time to get used to and don't perform well on uphills or a tight turn course.  Also consider $ per lbs of weight savings between carbon and alum..  You don't want to spend a lot of money for something you won't like.  Is weight a major consideration - primary reason for carbon (that and it is sexy).

My first pair was the cheapest ones I could find and I used them until I knew what I NEEDED different (I found I needed adjustable arm pads (narrow or wide spacing), adjustable fore and aft lenght, and pads that would move so I could still grip the top of my handlebars for riding more upright).  I sold the original set and ended up with a set of the profile airstryke.  I liked them because they offer many hand positions (underhand grip or overhand depending on where you grab it) as well as what I needed above.  Plus I can mount and remove them without re-taping my bars. http://www.profile-design.com/profile-design/products/aerobars/aluminum-aerobars/airstryke.html

So - in selecting a pair, what I would look for:
- adjsutability for forward / aft positions due to your concern over size / length. (some shops will help mount).
- Since going on a road bike, something that can be put on and removed without removing the handlebar tape each time.  Maybe the first time you have to re-tape to expose the mounting areas; however, after that you should not have to worry about it.
- Multiple grip positions (I like having more than one choice)
- Angle of grip - what can you live with?  Try one that keeps your forearms and wrists relaxed and in a neutral position.
- how will they look on your bike?  not a necessary thing, but why make a sweet bike look not so good.

BTW - be prepared to make seat adjustments.  You will probably want to raise the seat slightly and move it forward.  If you are already all the way forward on your seat, you may not be able to get a comfortable position with areobars.

Good point, John.  I guess I've been focused on triathlons so much that I missed the cyclists' perspective.

So, for my next tri, I like the adjustable ones, for the same reasons you have pointed out.  I was looking into buying the profile design T2.  My seat position is right in the middle.  Adding aero bars shouldn't be an issue, right?

Now for the more important question, I must ask.  Can I tackle the half century in 1 month?  I should have been training for this 2 or 3 months ago, right?  Bike is my strong suit, but that doesn't mean I'm a good biker.
2011-01-10 5:49 AM
in reply to: #3289105

User image

Melon Presser
iluvmybeamer - 2011-01-10 12:15 PM

Yup, hubby rested.  He has taken a long break from running.  He should be okay when he gets back into it.  He noticed that his running form started to degrade the last mile of his run.  Pushing too fast pace and rushing his training IMO.  I think he's learned his lesson.  He's a good runner, with a good running background, so he'll be fine.

My tendonitis is a reoccurring thing.  But I have nailed down the problem and the fix.  I just didn't know if and EMS was worth the money and how much it would really help the problem.

did you go ahead and get the machine? for the fact that it's a quality dual unit and on sale for $100, I probably would have bought it even if i didn't currently have anything to use it for!
2011-01-10 6:00 AM
in reply to: #3289144

User image

Melon Presser
iluvmybeamer - 2011-01-10 1:39 PM
Good point, John.  I guess I've been focused on triathlons so much that I missed the cyclists' perspective.

So, for my next tri, I like the adjustable ones, for the same reasons you have pointed out.  I was looking into buying the profile design T2.  My seat position is right in the middle.  Adding aero bars shouldn't be an issue, right?

Now for the more important question, I must ask.  Can I tackle the half century in 1 month?  I should have been training for this 2 or 3 months ago, right?  Bike is my strong suit, but that doesn't mean I'm a good biker.

John gave you a lot of good info already. PD T2s are cool, I used them for a while. (still have them, they're just not on the bike)

If you're going to get aerobars, I'd strongly recommend you go ahead and get a tri-position fitting. This may also mean changing your bike geometry slightly with adjustments to the seatpost (likely swapping it out for a forward-facing post, because road bike geometry as opposed to tri geometry may close the hip angle too much with a standard seatpost + aerobars. btw the only one I know of that's likely to work with shorter riders--like me!--is the Thomson Elite) as John said, seat height, angle/position of other bike components.

Some people do really well with tossing a set of aerobars on their bike and making some self-adjustments. if you're not a real comfortable cyclist and know your bike well, I wouldn't recommend doing this. just my opinion. I can make recommendations for some good bike fitters for cycle or tri geometry in the Inland empire.

anyhow, the fitter would take note of your current position (and write it all down) and then also of the new geometry (and write it all down); that way, with a little practice, you can adjust the bike back and forth between the two depending on your training/race.

Sure you can do the half-century in a month. You could probably do it tomorrow; you might just walk funny for a day or two

Try to get in a couple longer rides in the next two weeks. the 10-14 days before an event you can't build any more fitness; you can only maintain what you have.

The key to doing the half will be making sure you can be comfy on your bike for a (longer) haul and appropriate pacing during the event. No need to go all out--KNOW THE COURSE (where turns and hills, etc.) are and plan your exertion accordingly.

2011-01-10 11:11 AM

User image

Abilene
I just wanted to let everyone know that I am still here, and still training!  I am taking an opportunity in January to step away or take a break from all "non-essential" media for myself and for our family.  I just wanted to drop you all a BIG SMILE Thanks for the encouragement and wisdom.  I'll be back online February 1st, see you then!!  Happy tri-ing!!
2011-01-10 12:25 PM

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
Sorry for my absence and thanks for the inspires. I was in Orlando running in the Disney 13.1 and visiting 'arry Pohtah.

Check out my race report!

Edited by pga_mike 2011-01-10 12:27 PM
2011-01-10 2:41 PM

User image

Altrincham
To the girl who was on the treadmill next to me this evening:

Just because you had your headphones in and couldn't hear, that didn't mute the sound of your trumping for the rest of us!

Parp! Parp! Parp!

It would have been a good rhythm setter if it didn't smell so eggy!

Ewww
2011-01-10 3:51 PM
in reply to: #3290582

User image

Veteran
Queens, NY
Galwegian - 2011-01-10 2:41 PM To the girl who was on the treadmill next to me this evening:

Just because you had your headphones in and couldn't hear, that didn't mute the sound of your trumping for the rest of us!

Parp! Parp! Parp!

It would have been a good rhythm setter if it didn't smell so eggy!

Ewww

BWAHAHAHAHAHA

better out than in I say
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » MAD MANATEE Mentor Group (TriAya & lmscozz)--CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 38