BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 298

2011-04-12 1:03 PM
in reply to: #3434069

User image

Master
Maryland
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN drinking tiger blood and closed
DJ, I wear a women's 12 narrow shoe. I doubt your fins would  fit me, but if so I'd buy them!

2011-04-12 1:04 PM

User image

Master
Sin City
Fantastic Chris! Hope those shoes solves your pesky knee problems!! 
2011-04-12 1:06 PM
in reply to: #3442556

User image

Master
Sin City

Terps421 - 2011-04-12 11:03 AM DJ, I wear a women's 12 narrow shoe. I doubt your fins would  fit me, but if so I'd buy them!

Surprised yeah they won't fit. Your feet is like twice the size of mine...lol.

2011-04-12 1:08 PM
in reply to: #3442544

User image

Master
Maryland
Techdiver - 2011-04-12 2:00 PM

Ok bit of an update. I managed to get in for a Gait review here in the city I work in. Spent an hour there and brought my running shoes to work with me just incase I got in. I went through a series of tests etc and before they talked to me about what my gait and foot style was the guy was a runner and asked me what I was running in. I told him Asics GT-2160 and I bought a pair of Saucony Pro Grid 9 that I wore for 5K and never put on again because they didn't feel right. He asked if my 2160s felt right. I told sort of but not really and I was fitted at a well known running store chain.

Too bad you didn't bring your shoes with you. AHHH But I did. Ok go get them and if I am right I am going to see a wear pattern on those shoes. So I brought them in set them on the floor. He talked to me and said before I start if we are right these shoes will have excessive wear on the outside edges. I already knew that. He picked them up and confirmed.

So I am a bit pigeon toed, I Supinate with my left foot and slightly supinate almost neutral with my right foot and I have straight legs and a flat foot with tight not so flexible ankles when I squat to the bottom my heels lift of the floor. He also told me to stop trying to change my gait at this point. Just get in the right shoe and run how it feels natrual.

He then commment that he was suprised I have not hurt myself or caused an issue with my knees to this point. I pointed out that is why I was there. So he went on to explain I have been running on the outside edge of my shoes. Not allowing my supinating right foot to land properly is probably twisting my tibia and causing the issue with my Patella tendon. Along with my weak core, he felt that the wrong shoes were contributing. Oh and my shoes were also 1 size to big. He then suggested a store to go to. I drove 30 mins over there, brought them my info.

I now own a pair of Mizuno Wave Rider 14. It was those or the Ascics Landreth I was choosing between. I ran in both and can say for the first time in running, I could actually feel my midsole striking the ground, well I could feel the contact more then the strike the shoes were a bit more cushiony then I am used to. Man Canadian prices on shoes suck. $174 later.  Who cares if you need something and the customer service was there.

Anyways. I am busy for a few days but can't wait to try running in them on Wed for an easy run when I take my sister in law out for her second week of learning to run.

I hope they work out for you! Potentially a good piece of info. to have.

2011-04-12 1:08 PM
in reply to: #3442513

User image

Elite
san francisco
fattyfatfat - 2011-04-12 10:49 AM

DJ.  I have a silver membership but only because i feel like its one way i can give back to ron and the BT peeps for putting together an awesome site.  maybe thats dumb, but its my reason.  i don't think i use much of the paid functions.

Linda.  i use Zoomer z2 fins.  no particular reason why other than some others didn't come in 14's. 

X2 on both counts! 

the Zoomer Z2's are what I use and they seem to be pretty popular at the pool.  Not sure why, Linda, sorry i can't help there.  eta:  Linda, I didn't see your question about suits the first time round.  We need a thread for this!    oh dang, please don't strike me down!!!  anyhoo, the Tyr's seem to be shorter in the torso than the Speedo's for me...no matter what style, I can never fit the Tyr's, going one size up just makes other parts too loose, shush, john...Speedo's seem to fit perfectly!  I don't think it should fit SUPER tight like compression wear, ouch, but that's just what I'm comfy with.

DJ-I have the Bronze for no other reason than to support BT (well, I also get the accuweather on my training page which is kind of fun).  I used to do the Silver and really liked the access to all of the training plans.  Used the Silver HIM plan for my first HIM and really liked it.

Edited by kt65 2011-04-12 1:12 PM
2011-04-12 1:14 PM
in reply to: #3442457

User image

Champion
marietta
CyborgQueen - 2011-04-12 1:30 PM

Question for my MG peeps - 

I'm thinking about upgrading to Silver or Gold membership.  I find in the long run that it's much cheaper than paying a local coach ($100 a month) for plans. I'm not seeking to be an AG'r, but I'm seeking to be better/faster in all three sports, but with Bike focused workouts, and it gotta be better than just sitting at home and slack off. :-)

Is it worth it?  What's the MAJOR difference between the Gold and the Silver membership?  I'm not getting the clear answers (or at least I'm not seeing it) between the two.

Which one (I'm assuming both the S/G), gets more response for your workout plans via coach? I saw a thread for "Online Coaching", and wonder if it's valuable?

Help me decide. :-)

BTW - I've put in some stuff for the Custom plans thing, and for base mileage - seems SO little, especially for someone who already passed the Week 17# for a 20 week plan until September.  

wait a minute!  what do you mean you ain't trying be an AG'r?  YOU ARE ONE YOU CRAZY WOMAN!!!!

2011-04-12 1:39 PM
in reply to: #3442593

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
fattyfatfat - 2011-04-12 1:14 PM

I'm thinking about upgrading to Silver or Gold membership.  I find in the long run that it's much cheaper than paying a local coach ($100 a month) for plans. I'm not seeking to be an AG'r, but I'm seeking to be better/faster in all three sports, but with Bike focused workouts, and it gotta be better than just sitting at home and slack off. :-)

Is it worth it?  What's the MAJOR difference between the Gold and the Silver membership?  I'm not getting the clear answers (or at least I'm not seeing it) between the two.

Which one (I'm assuming both the S/G), gets more response for your workout plans via coach? I saw a thread for "Online Coaching", and wonder if it's valuable?

BTW - I've put in some stuff for the Custom plans thing, and for base mileage - seems SO little, especially for someone who already passed the Week 17# for a 20 week plan until September.  

wait a minute!  what do you mean you ain't trying be an AG'r?  YOU ARE ONE YOU CRAZY WOMAN!!!!

I think what she means is she isn't trying to place in her AG you dork. 

Having said that, I agree with Fatty on the fins (wore mine in Masters today) and the reason behind my Silver membership.  I really don't use much on this site other than the forums and the blog.  At one point, I had a Gold membership, but it didn't seem to make sense since I never use their plans and thought the coach's forum was a little lame.   Caveat: this is coming from someone who has a real live coach and like plans spoon fed to her a week at a time based on progress. 

Linda--I have TYR suits and wear a 32, yet all my clothes are zeros......I think you have to size up on some of those suits, especially if you tend to have a longer torso.

2011-04-12 1:48 PM

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia

I was just reading up and the Gold membership has changed some.  You used to get the online coaching included and if you bought the Gold when that was the option you still have it.  Now It's a $35/month add-on to either Silver or Gold Plans.

The Biggest difference it appears between the plans now is the number of training plans you have access to.  The gold plan now includes a custom training plan creator, which is supposed to be pretty slick.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/members.asp?s=7&rcol=e&co=2

This page describes the plans.  I think at one point I started as bronze then went to silver to use more of the plans. 

2011-04-12 1:58 PM
in reply to: #3442642

User image

Elite
san francisco
SSMinnow - 2011-04-12 11:39 AM

Having said that, I agree with Fatty on the fins (wore mine in Masters today) and the reason behind my Silver membership.  I really don't use much on this site other than the forums and the blog.  At one point, I had a Gold membership, but it didn't seem to make sense since I never use their plans and thought the coach's forum was a little lame.   Caveat: this is coming from someone who has a real live coach and like plans spoon fed to her a week at a time based on progress. 

Linda--I have TYR suits and wear a 32, yet all my clothes are zeros......I think you have to size up on some of those suits, especially if you tend to have a longer torso.

Okay, whose a feather, now????  I haven't seen a zero since high school. 

2011-04-12 2:00 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Gonna leave work now as I have a 10 hour teleconference tomorrow from 3 AM to 1 PM! I have to try and get my swim in after that! I cant complain though as I would rather do that than travel to and from Munich every month. Wonder what is like to swim while you are asleep.
2011-04-12 2:13 PM
in reply to: #3442556

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY

Terps421 - 2011-04-12 2:03 PM DJ, I wear a women's 12 narrow shoe. I doubt your fins would  fit me, but if so I'd buy them!

Size 12!!!  What do you need fins for???  You have them built in!

Wink

2011-04-12 2:18 PM
in reply to: #3442526

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
TrevorC - 2011-04-12 1:53 PM
Terps421 - 2011-04-12 11:40 AM

Advice on swim equipment:  I want to purchase fins to help strengthen and flex my feet, how are speedo's fins? What kind of fins do any of you in our MG like?

Ladies: Do you think the sizing is accurate for Speedos or TYR? I always size up one from the recommended size or else the suit feels too tight to me. Should the suit fit like compression  wear?

Linda

I have a pair of these..shorter than the regular flippers. Kick a abit more than the long crazy flippers.

http://www.trisports.com/zoomers.html

And as for the suits...always size down. No one wants to see you in a suit too big for your body. Tighter the better.

Suzy might have something to say about your choice of words...

Edited by gdale 2011-04-12 2:20 PM
2011-04-12 2:25 PM
in reply to: #3442526

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
TrevorC - 2011-04-12 1:53 PM
Terps421 - 2011-04-12 11:40 AM

Advice on swim equipment:  I want to purchase fins to help strengthen and flex my feet, how are speedo's fins? What kind of fins do any of you in our MG like?

Ladies: Do you think the sizing is accurate for Speedos or TYR? I always size up one from the recommended size or else the suit feels too tight to me. Should the suit fit like compression  wear?

Linda

I have a pair of these..shorter than the regular flippers. Kick a abit more than the long crazy flippers.

http://www.trisports.com/zoomers.html

And as for the suits...always size down. No one wants to see you in a suit too big for your body. Tighter the better.

I'll bet you say that to all the boys to :0
2011-04-12 2:52 PM
in reply to: #3442697

User image

Champion
kt65 - 2011-04-12 1:58 PM

Ok, Miss "my arms are so small I can't wear arm coolers"....I am 4'10"!  I weigh 102lbs these days which is a sniff more than at the end IM training.  No feather here.  Just ask Fatty....he thinks I'm a tank compared to you.  AND he's seen us both.  Clothes have sized up dramatically.  I just bought Jcrew zero shorts and they're huge....I'm the same, they're not.  SO there!

George, huh???

2011-04-12 3:11 PM
in reply to: #3442811

User image

Master

I'm not even sure where to start with all of you freaks today. Good grief!!!

FINS: Zoomers are great for assisting during drills and swimming to help you keep some momentum so you can work on form. A local coach recently raved about these and I was thinking of springing for a set. Only my size isn't pink and that bums me out.

SUITS: Should be snug but not uncomfortable. Polyester suits (best invention EVER, IMO!) don't give as much as lycra... but with that you get durability that is far superior. I do hear that TYRs run short. I wear them because I get great prices on them. I think I wear a 36 (I'm almost 5'6"). No, it should not feel like compression... unless you are a top-tier Olympic-type swimmer!! Ha! Back in the day our suits were about 3 sizes too small for our top meets, and it would take about 30 minutes to get them on. I've heard the jammer/full-body suits are just a nightmare to put on. I don't miss those days!

GOOD NEWS: Hamstring significantly improved over yesterday according to PT. Pain/tender area has shrunk dramatically and he said I'll be back at it in no time. Very encouraged. He almost made me cry today rolling it and rubbing on it -- I was grimmacing/complaining but was in a public room with other athletes so had to be somewhat cool and tough. Back for more of that joy on Thursday.

2011-04-12 3:44 PM
in reply to: #3442811

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
SSMinnow - 2011-04-12 3:52 PM
kt65 - 2011-04-12 1:58 PM

Ok, Miss "my arms are so small I can't wear arm coolers"....I am 4'10"!  I weigh 102lbs these days which is a sniff more than at the end IM training.  No feather here.  Just ask Fatty....he thinks I'm a tank compared to you.  AND he's seen us both.  Clothes have sized up dramatically.  I just bought Jcrew zero shorts and they're huge....I'm the same, they're not.  SO there!

George, huh???

You gave me HEII one time for calling fins "flippers" in my training log.  I've been afraid to call them that ever since  Innocent

2011-04-12 5:24 PM
in reply to: #3442859

User image

Champion
kkcbelle - 2011-04-12 3:11 PM

I'm not even sure where to start with all of you freaks today. Good grief!!!

FINS: Zoomers are great for assisting during drills and swimming to help you keep some momentum so you can work on form. A local coach recently raved about these and I was thinking of springing for a set. Only my size isn't pink and that bums me out.

SUITS: Should be snug but not uncomfortable. Polyester suits (best invention EVER, IMO!) don't give as much as lycra... but with that you get durability that is far superior. I do hear that TYRs run short. I wear them because I get great prices on them. I think I wear a 36 (I'm almost 5'6"). No, it should not feel like compression... unless you are a top-tier Olympic-type swimmer!! Ha! Back in the day our suits were about 3 sizes too small for our top meets, and it would take about 30 minutes to get them on. I've heard the jammer/full-body suits are just a nightmare to put on. I don't miss those days!

GOOD NEWS: Hamstring significantly improved over yesterday according to PT. Pain/tender area has shrunk dramatically and he said I'll be back at it in no time. Very encouraged. He almost made me cry today rolling it and rubbing on it -- I was grimmacing/complaining but was in a public room with other athletes so had to be somewhat cool and tough. Back for more of that joy on Thursday.

Excellent news!!  I bet the positive attitude has helped the healing process.

George--I give Trev a pass on that stuff...remember he's CANADIAN!

2011-04-12 5:35 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR

Some icky news for the day:  Ryan has been having some issues with his foot lately, so his runs have been touch and go.  It happened a few weeks ago, and it's not gotten any better, so he took some time off.  This morning was his first run in a while, and it hurt just as bad as ever.  Long story short, he decided to call off the Green Bay Marathon, too.  Bummer that BOTH of us have injuries right now that bagged our first race of the season.

Now we have to get doctors' notes to cancel our hotel room.  Yuck.

Kyla - You're a trooper!  Keep up the positive attitude!  It's contagious!

2011-04-12 5:37 PM
in reply to: #3443120

User image

Elite
san francisco
SoccerGK - 2011-04-12 3:35 PM

Some icky news for the day:  Ryan has been having some issues with his foot lately, so his runs have been touch and go.  It happened a few weeks ago, and it's not gotten any better, so he took some time off.  This morning was his first run in a while, and it hurt just as bad as ever.  Long story short, he decided to call off the Green Bay Marathon, too.  Bummer that BOTH of us have injuries right now that bagged our first race of the season.

Sorry to hear that, Erica.  Maybe he can follow your footsteps to a quick recovery! 

2011-04-12 5:46 PM

User image

Champion
Spanky--really happy to hear you were able to get into see a PT.  He sounds like he knows his stuff and gave you some good advice.  Did he say whether being a supinator would affect your biking at all?  meaning do you need a wedge? or insert in your shoes?
2011-04-12 6:19 PM
in reply to: #3442726

User image

Master
Maryland
gdale - 2011-04-12 3:13 PM

Terps421 - 2011-04-12 2:03 PM DJ, I wear a women's 12 narrow shoe. I doubt your fins would  fit me, but if so I'd buy them!

Size 12!!!  What do you need fins for???  You have them built in!

HA!! I get those jokes all the time

Wink

2011-04-12 6:40 PM
in reply to: #3443123

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
kt65 - 2011-04-12 4:37 PM
SoccerGK - 2011-04-12 3:35 PM

Sorry to hear that, Erica.  Maybe he can follow your footsteps to a quick recovery! 

Literally!!! Hope he heals up.

2011-04-12 7:24 PM
in reply to: #3442544

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lamar
Techdiver - 2011-04-12 12:00 PM

Ok bit of an update. I managed to get in for a Gait review here in the city I work in. Spent an hour there and brought my running shoes to work with me just incase I got in. I went through a series of tests etc and before they talked to me about what my gait and foot style was the guy was a runner and asked me what I was running in. I told him Asics GT-2160 and I bought a pair of Saucony Pro Grid 9 that I wore for 5K and never put on again because they didn't feel right. He asked if my 2160s felt right. I told sort of but not really and I was fitted at a well known running store chain.

Too bad you didn't bring your shoes with you. AHHH But I did. Ok go get them and if I am right I am going to see a wear pattern on those shoes. So I brought them in set them on the floor. He talked to me and said before I start if we are right these shoes will have excessive wear on the outside edges. I already knew that. He picked them up and confirmed.

So I am a bit pigeon toed, I Supinate with my left foot and slightly supinate almost neutral with my right foot and I have straight legs and a flat foot with tight not so flexible ankles when I squat to the bottom my heels lift of the floor. He also told me to stop trying to change my gait at this point. Just get in the right shoe and run how it feels natrual.

He then commment that he was suprised I have not hurt myself or caused an issue with my knees to this point. I pointed out that is why I was there. So he went on to explain I have been running on the outside edge of my shoes. Not allowing my supinating right foot to land properly is probably twisting my tibia and causing the issue with my Patella tendon. Along with my weak core, he felt that the wrong shoes were contributing. Oh and my shoes were also 1 size to big. He then suggested a store to go to. I drove 30 mins over there, brought them my info.

I now own a pair of Mizuno Wave Rider 14. It was those or the Ascics Landreth I was choosing between. I ran in both and can say for the first time in running, I could actually feel my midsole striking the ground, well I could feel the contact more then the strike the shoes were a bit more cushiony then I am used to. Man Canadian prices on shoes suck. $174 later.  Who cares if you need something and the customer service was there.

Anyways. I am busy for a few days but can't wait to try running in them on Wed for an easy run when I take my sister in law out for her second week of learning to run.

Sounds like you learned a lot I did while reading your post. Can't wait to hear about your first run.

2011-04-12 10:07 PM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California

So....where did the Tiger blood come from?  Will it make me recover faster?   Where do I get it????

Will it show up in my blood work if I ever get fast enough to be tested?!?

2011-04-12 11:10 PM
in reply to: #3442001

User image

Sacramento, CA
velcromom - 2011-04-12 7:38 AM
cherifortin - 2011-04-11 10:46 PM
copa2251 - 2011-04-12 12:27 AM

One thing running definately does is help keep you thin and that helps on the bike too.

I've learned to enjoy my easy runs for relaxation and thinking time and my hard runs or races for testing my limits. Also the more you run the easier it gets!

Fabulous photo...my golden feels the same way about her vet!  I have lost 10 lbs since I started training seriously.  Crazy how it just melts off. 

Tomorrow, I am going run happy, smiling at least half of the time!

I love this group so far!

~Cheri

PS:  Does any have a good swim workout (1500 or so) they would like to share?  I am bored with mine!

When nothing else pops into mind, I do a ladder.  50 yards free (5 seconds rest) 100 (10 seconds rest) 150 (15) 200 (20) 250 (25) 250 (25) 200 (20) 150 (15) 100(10) 50 (DONE!)

If you like that sort of thing, you can easily add more yard my doubling the mid (do the 250 twice) or taking the ladder up higher - go to 300 or 350, once or twice.  I do it all freestyle, usually pulling most of it, but I'll throw another stroke in here or there if I'm doing the set  with Jeff or a buddy that's slower than I am.

The ladder was great!  It was quick and painless fun.  The short rests were nice too.  A huge thank you!  Made swim fun today!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed Rss Feed  

of 298