BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JohnnyKay and Fred Doucette's HIM/IM focused Mentor group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 65

2011-04-25 4:27 PM
in reply to: #3465212

User image

Elite
Ontario
Subject: RE: JohnnyKay and Fred Doucette's HIM/IM focused Mentor group-CLOSED
kaburns1214 - 2011-04-25 5:16 PM While I think stroke count can be useful, I think you need to be careful about not developing a too "forward" stroke for open water swimming.  When you're swimming in the washing machine the first part of your stroke to get cut off is the reach and stream lined glide forward.  I think its important to realize that for OWS, getting your fore arm quickly into a vertical position and working on a strong back end of the stroke may have bigger returns than elongating your stroke and decreasing your stroke count.

Have you tried playing around with this at all and measuring what the difference is?  I remember reading some older threads with people debating about shorter pull vs. longer (i.e. past your hip), but can't remember if anyone talked about experimenting and what it did for them.

2011-04-25 4:35 PM
in reply to: #3465235

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-04-25 4:37 PM
in reply to: #3435035

Bronze member

We actually had a break in the rain and I was able to get outside. Had enough time for a two hour ride and 30 min run. I was able to practice my nutrition which was a relief. I took a swig from my gel flask (raspberry hammer gel) or heed every 20 min. Also drank all of the water in my water bottle. That is good for me - I am prone to forgetting to eat or drink. I'm not planning on heed for the race though so I'll have to change that next time. It was just what I had at the house.

I did not have anything to eat or drink during the run but it was only 30 min and I felt fine. Except for the rubber legs. Does this ever go away or am I still riding too hard? I get off my bike (and I tried really hard to keep it all RPE 2) and feel like my legs are rubber bands. My feet were hitting my ankles, I swore I was going to trip myself. It got much better as I kept running but man I hate that! I was hoping the tri bike would help my legs feel a little better during the run.

2011-04-25 4:37 PM
in reply to: #3465242

2011-04-25 4:47 PM
in reply to: #3465263

Pro
Nutmeg State
Fred Doucette - 2011-04-25 5:37 PM

Have you tried playing around with this at all and measuring what the difference is?  I remember reading some older threads with people debating about shorter pull vs. longer (i.e. past your hip), but can't remember if anyone talked about experimenting and what it did for them.

Again relates to the fascinating stuff Gary Hall Sr. posted on ST a year or so ago. They used slow motion video with a background of small tiles to determine which was the fastest and slowest part of the whole swim stroke.

You might be surprised to hear what they found was by fasr the fastest part of the cycle (fastest as in the swimmer moving the fastest)

Here's Jesse Kropelnicki's take on it -- http://kropelnicki.com/?p=249

I've been working with him on my swim stroke.  I had two analyses in the last 4 months if you're interrested in seeing them.

2011-04-25 4:49 PM
in reply to: #3465288

2011-04-25 4:50 PM

2011-04-25 5:34 PM

Expert

Yet another challenge to my training:  This is an email I received today from our apartment manager.  Wow!  To make a glass fall out of a cupboard in the apartment below me is a compliment to me!  Anyway, I apologized and am moving my trainer set up to the garage.  I sure miss the gym I had in my previous house....

Anyway, the rain held off and I managed to bike outside this afternoon.

Hi Jim,

How are you? I just wanted to let you know that the gentleman below you is having a little trouble with the noise and vibration the running machine is causing again. He has been very understanding and I know you have told me you do not want to bother him, as well. He will not call you or knock on your door because he understands he is living in an apartment. They are moving out in 6 weeks to live in a retirement community. What happened the other day is..while you were exercising a glass from their kitchen cupboard had vibrated out of the cabinet. They had the door open, but that is not the issue. It seems the machine is right above the kitchen area, it is loud and causes quite a noise/vibration problem

2011-04-25 5:35 PM
in reply to: #3465369

2011-04-25 7:15 PM
in reply to: #3464534

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
sbsmann - 2011-04-25 11:47 AM @Ben....A couple weeks ago I picked up some Michelen Pro 3's.  I've heard lots of good things about these tires from several cyclists, but I personally have not used them before.  My current tires still have some life on them, so I won't be using the Pro 3's until closer to my first race in the end of June.

As far as my training, I just finished a nice recovery week and am now going into 3 weeks of focus work.  This week is the swim which has me doing about 4.5 hours in the water.  Next week is run @ appx 27 miles.  And the last week is bike @ about 130-some miles.  GOOD STUFF!

Everyone thanks for the input on the tires. From everyone I heard Continetal Grand Prix 4000 and the Michelin Pro 3's are the tires that are prefered. I went with the grand prix's so I am excited to try them out and see how they work.

2011-04-25 7:17 PM
in reply to: #3465369

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
jimmyb - 2011-04-25 5:34 PM

Yet another challenge to my training:  This is an email I received today from our apartment manager.  Wow!  To make a glass fall out of a cupboard in the apartment below me is a compliment to me!  Anyway, I apologized and am moving my trainer set up to the garage.  I sure miss the gym I had in my previous house....

Anyway, the rain held off and I managed to bike outside this afternoon.

Hi Jim,

How are you? I just wanted to let you know that the gentleman below you is having a little trouble with the noise and vibration the running machine is causing again. He has been very understanding and I know you have told me you do not want to bother him, as well. He will not call you or knock on your door because he understands he is living in an apartment. They are moving out in 6 weeks to live in a retirement community. What happened the other day is..while you were exercising a glass from their kitchen cupboard had vibrated out of the cabinet. They had the door open, but that is not the issue. It seems the machine is right above the kitchen area, it is loud and causes quite a noise/vibration problem

I would print that email and stick it to the fridge!

2011-04-25 7:18 PM
in reply to: #3465185

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Fred Doucette - 2011-04-25 4:05 PM
docswim24 - 2011-04-25 8:42 AM
Fred Doucette - 2011-04-25 5:05 AM

Twas' a big week for me last week. This is a recovery week. I need to mend a bit after running 35 miles.

Who's racing in the near future?

2nd race of the year - Charleston SC half this upcoming weekend. No taper until IMLP. Had my first longish workouts this weekend. Swim/77 mile ride Sat, 15 mile run Sunday Next weekend is Tour de Skyline. 2 days, 220 miles, 25K of climbing. !

Looks good Dan. That tour is something that really gives your cycling a boost I think.

Correctly named, cant wait to hear about the ride!

2011-04-25 8:01 PM
in reply to: #3465263

Master
Reston, VA

Again relates to the fascinating stuff Gary Hall Sr. posted on ST a year or so ago. They used slow motion video with a background of small tiles to determine which was the fastest and slowest part of the whole swim stroke.

You might be surprised to hear what they found was by fasr the fastest part of the cycle (fastest as in the swimmer moving the fastest)

I have experimented with it pretty extensively since I got back into swimming 4 years ago and for me I am faster as my turnover increases. Never paid attention in college as much as I should (I have a catch up stroke and my coach was always trying me to increase turnover) but have experimented for a while now and for me, higher turnover = faster. Also the higher turnover does not leave my any more winded or tired that I can tell.

I have also had the opportunity to talk with Coach Flanagen, who is considered one of the better open water swimming coaches out there, and he believes the higher turnover is a) important, b) more important in open water than the pool. He suggested cutting off the back end of your stroke a little earlier in open water.
2011-04-25 8:03 PM
in reply to: #3465292

Elite
Ontario
Fred Doucette - 2011-04-25 5:49 PM
kaburns1214 - 2011-04-25 5:47 PM

Here's Jesse Kropelnicki's take on it -- http://kropelnicki.com/?p=249

I've been working with him on my swim stroke.  I had two analyses in the last 4 months if you're interrested in seeing them.

That looks like a really good article, thanks!

Interesting article and more things to think about.  I did note that he talks about a swim GOLF score.  Taller swimmers should aim for a score of 65 or less for 50 yards.  If I do 50yds in :45, at 18 strokes per length, sum it = 81.  Now unless I misunderstand how to calculate this score, then this tells me I really have some balance and streamlining issues that need to be addressed.

2011-04-25 8:17 PM
in reply to: #3465667

2011-04-25 8:22 PM
in reply to: #3465662

2011-04-26 6:16 AM

2011-04-26 7:03 AM

Expert
I know everyone has their own IM training plans, but I'm curious how many century rides people do in preparation for the event?  Is it necessary to do a century ride, or is overall volume more important.  Given my work schedule it is extremely difficult to get in a straight century, and have had to break it up at times eg. morning and pm. 
2011-04-26 7:12 AM
in reply to: #3466034

Extreme Veteran
Minnetonka Beach, MN

jimmyb - 2011-04-26 7:03 AM I know everyone has their own IM training plans, but I'm curious how many century rides people do in preparation for the event?  Is it necessary to do a century ride, or is overall volume more important.  Given my work schedule it is extremely difficult to get in a straight century, and have had to break it up at times eg. morning and pm. 

Not that far into my schedule for this year's IM, but for my last IM I had 2 rides over 100 leading up... 2 weeks apart starting about 6 weeks before race day.  (now realize, I am certainly not the fastest of riders out there... biking for me is an exercise in control as I am early out of the water and then basically get passed for the rest of the race).  

2011-04-26 7:13 AM

Bronze member

jimmyb - 2011-04-26 7:03 AM I know everyone has their own IM training plans, but I'm curious how many century rides people do in preparation for the event?  Is it necessary to do a century ride, or is overall volume more important.  Given my work schedule it is extremely difficult to get in a straight century, and have had to break it up at times eg. morning and pm. 

Good question. I was wondering the same type of thing for the HIM distance. The longest ride in my plan is 2.5 hours. It will probably take me 3 plus a little to do the race distance though. I had some issues (sit bone pain) starting at mile 50 of my HIM aqua/bike last year. This year I was planning on riding the entire race course but according to my plan I wouldn't make the distance in training. 

2011-04-26 7:42 AM
in reply to: #3466044

Expert
Ontario
trigal38 - 2011-04-26 8:13 AM

Good question. I was wondering the same type of thing for the HIM distance. The longest ride in my plan is 2.5 hours. It will probably take me 3 plus a little to do the race distance though. I had some issues (sit bone pain) starting at mile 50 of my HIM aqua/bike last year. This year I was planning on riding the entire race course but according to my plan I wouldn't make the distance in training. 

My HIM has a challenging bike course and last time I raced it I suffered with a lot of cramping on the hills in the last few miles. My plan this year has five 4 hour rides which I'm hoping will give me the bike fitness I need to get through the race with no cramping issues.

2011-04-26 7:45 AM

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

If it is your first IM then I think a century ride is a must. This is because riding in the saddle that long is just different from riding 60, 70, 80 miles. Your body weakens faster the longer you ride. Rding a century will help you decide how to ride, pace, what HR to ride at, and simply what it is like to ride that long and far. I rode the IMWI once from mile 1-112 last year and that was much different from the double loop rides (85 miles) that I did. I learned a lot about myself and my body the last 20 miles.

After your first IM I think it is less important and I know many AG/Pro's that will max out their riding to 70-80 miles while others will do 10-12 200K plus rides to get in the volume. Like all of triathlon everyone is unique in their own way and what and doesn't work for them. But I am a firm believer that riding a century is important before your first IM.

2011-04-26 7:46 AM
in reply to: #3466044

Elite
Ontario
trigal38 - 2011-04-26 8:13 AM

I think there are a couple of ways to do this.

1)  Ride the longer distances and pace accordingly.  Look to simulate what you expect to accomplish race day.
2)  Ride based on time rather than distance and increase your intensity.  While you may not ride the distance you'll essentially accomplish the same thing by pushing harder than what you plan to on race day.

I'm only referring to 1/2 distance, as I have zero experience at a full distance.  For me this year, I plan to actually ride the 1/2 distance a few times, and ride slightly shorter at a higher intensity level - especially in the second half of the ride.

2011-04-26 8:39 AM

Pro
Nutmeg State

jimmyb - 2011-04-26 8:03 AM I know everyone has their own IM training plans, but I'm curious how many century rides people do in preparation for the event?  Is it necessary to do a century ride, or is overall volume more important.  Given my work schedule it is extremely difficult to get in a straight century, and have had to break it up at times eg. morning and pm. 

There's also the concept of cumulative volume to consider.  No one ride matters so much as the total volume you accumulate.  You can also split rides (3 hours in the morning, 3 hours at night or so) to get to a century in a day.

For me, I tend to be on the higher volume side of things and will  do a century plus every Saturday from mid-April until Placid every Saturday except for rest weeks. 

2011-04-26 9:12 AM

Master
Reston, VA
jimmyb - 2011-04-26 8:03 AM

I know everyone has their own IM training plans, but I'm curious how many century rides people do in preparation for the event?  Is it necessary to do a century ride, or is overall volume more important.  Given my work schedule it is extremely difficult to get in a straight century, and have had to break it up at times eg. morning and pm. 

I would try to get in one century if you can. I learned a lot about nutrition, pacing and how much that final 20-30 miles really takes out of you my first century. If you cannot get a century in, I might try two long back to back days. Maybe 70-80 one day and 50-60 the next day to see what your legs feel like at the end of a long ride.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JohnnyKay and Fred Doucette's HIM/IM focused Mentor group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 65