BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 103

2014-08-07 9:59 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Denver, CO
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Originally posted by StaceyK Yanti, when do Mutti's normal carers get back. I know you said that one of them you were going to have to let go, but what about the other one? Just wondering when you might get a couple of days a week relief. Also sorry to hear about the teachers from your old school, petition signed.

Thank you. It's a travesty. Yes, countries have different laws but it's beyond not okay when we're not following our own ... to the tune of $$$$$$$ and the complete destruction of these people's careers.

The other caretaker can only work 2x days/week now; she'll be back Tuesday and can stay until I come back Friday morning (I need to go to Bali a few days). So phew.

Talked with my friend's sister last night.  She does live in Jakarta and she's doing some checking around for you.  I'll send you a PM when I hear back from her.  Glad you were able to hire somebody to help you search!!  At least you'll have some help on that front.  So much for you to deal with right now.  Sending you lots of love, light and ((((hugs))).

2014-08-07 9:59 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by cdban66

Janyne, I had a chance to go through the Lake Logan pics on Google. What kind of helmet are you using? It looked like a cross between an aero helmet and a road helmet. My other observation is that Kevin is a madman with a camera.

Thanks for looking at them :-)

Specialized Evade helmet.  It's on the aero road category.  Very comfy.  When my current Giro helmet needs to be replaced, I'll probably get a Specialized.

Kevin did some of the shots in burst mode.

P.S.  He fell asleep while I was running =:-o

2014-08-07 10:00 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk
Originally posted by StaceyK On the bike front Giant have released the info on their 2015 range. I can get this bike http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/envie.advanced.2/18... For about $200 more than the 2014 model sale price. I much prefer the colours of the 2015 to the 2014 (not a fan of pink really) but do you think it would be too much bike for me?
no such thing as "too much bike for me." I used to know the Giant lineup pretty well but I haven't been following it lately. It used to be the brand known as "more bang for your buck!" Does it fit? Do you like it? Are you ok with the price? GET IT! RIDE IT! LOVE IT!

+1

2014-08-07 10:01 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by dmgaudre Just took my first quick ride on an actual road bike. Holy moly is it different from my mountain bike and the stationery bike at the Y. My legs are screaming! Woohoo! Darren...you got me...I'm 39 in that picture... :-)

Good job getting out there!

1. Yay Deanna!

2. NyNy, is that a spiffy new avvie from Lake Logan?

Yes it is!

2014-08-07 10:03 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by brigby1

These are intended to go on the aerobars of a tri bike. Wouldn't really work for a basic road bike.

I've had the A2 for some time, but never really finished hooking it up as it seemed a bit big & clunky. Didn't like how the garmin would be sitting up top of everything. Take a look at the XLab Torpedo.

Thats pretty nice.  How is it for refilling?

I don't know, I've been on the road bike all season. Also only doing short course tris this season. 

I may just wait for your review ;-)

I messaged this to Chris last night I have the Xlab torpedo. It's pretty slick and I like it a lot. It has two covers - one that seals it and one that leaves an opening for easy refil. So far I've only used the closed cover - in fact now that I think about it I'm not sure where I put the other. EEK lol also, Candice from Xlab posts regularly on ST and is pretty helpful with peoples questions etc. In fact when I wanted one QBP was back ordered and she told me to tell my shop to call them directly and they got one. I think Install can be a little tricky but between a good shop and Candice it's all good!

Excellent!

2014-08-07 10:06 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Yanti,

I'm glad that you have a temporary Mutti helper solution.  Sending good thoughts that a more long term solution is just around the corner.

I'm so sorry that you are dealing with the school thing. It reminds me a bit of the McMartin Preschool thing. :-(

2014-08-07 10:22 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Melon Presser

Yanti,

I'm glad that you have a temporary Mutti helper solution.  Sending good thoughts that a more long term solution is just around the corner.

I'm so sorry that you are dealing with the school thing. It reminds me a bit of the McMartin Preschool thing. :-(

It is very much like that. I cannot imagine what their families are going through. I do know very well what Indonesian jails are like, though.

Well, as for Mutti, I can only say this must be a bit of karmic justice ... I now totally understand what I was like as a kid. Everything is WHY WHAT WHY, repeat a hundred times, bouncing off the walls, and the minute you turn your back something's on fire ...

2014-08-07 10:29 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Originally posted by dmgaudre
Originally posted by 4agoodlifethere's
Originally posted by dmgaudreJust took my first quick ride an actual road bike. Holy moly is it different from my mountain bike and the stationery bike at the Y. My legs are screaming! Woohoo!Darren...you got me...I'm 39 in that picture... :-)
Isn't it fun???? Did you borrow or....dare I say, buy? Have to be careful around here even whispering bike and buy in the same sentence.
Borrowed. As this is my first tri I thought I had better not invest too much money right away. And I have been looking at bikes and boy are they expensive! LOL
Look at craigslist for used. Especially in our area with so much good riding weather, there's a lot out there. Shops post their bikes on CL too. We found mine at a little place in fountain hills. And I was same thinking as you, so my first tri was on my mtn bike .Bought my road before second one. Lol

I seriously wouldn't even know where to start when deciding on a bike. I don't know anything about them...
2014-08-07 10:37 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

OK, so funny story on the bike selling/buying topic...

You veteran Manatees know how I've TRIED to like MTB for DH's sake. Well the other day we were talking with a MTBer from my coach group and DH mentioned that I probably just need a better MTB.

So a couple days ago we were watching the Tour of Utah and DH mentioned selling my bike to his co-worker for $20 (which is about what it's worth) and getting me a better bike. The boys said my look was priceless. I'm sure it was a combination of "OH NEW BIKE" and "oh i gotta ride a MTB"...

Okay for all you new Houstonites, and anyone else that can help. I got a text from my American born-German raised step brother asking about a job offer in Houston. He and I are trying to come up with a salary request and I just have no idea! We know what he makes in Germany but translating that to Houston with it's cost of living, not to mention US withholding stuff...  Here is the English translation of the job description. Thoughts?!?!!?!?!

You are accustomed to independent work and convince through dedication and reliability. You have successfully completed a training or a degree in logistics, trade or forwarding with emphasis and experience in the field of land -, air - and sea freight. Experience abroad and first experience in after sales service is desirable.

In the branch you are responsible for the management of daily operations, monitoring the stocks and movements of goods and the communication and coordination with the carriers. Other tasks include order entry and invoicing in the ERP system, the Office Organization and sales activities as needed.

We require good German and English language skills, service orientation and experience with ERP systems such as SAP, as well as MS Office. We offer an interesting and diverse workplace, a performance-related payment, as well as attractive contractual benefits.

Are you interested? Then apply now with your written documents, copies of certificates, as well as a tabular curriculum vitae stating your salary expectations.

2014-08-07 10:41 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master

Originally posted by StaceyK

Originally posted by Richardsdrr
Originally posted by StaceyK
Originally posted by Richardsdrr Stacey - What groupset are you running on the bike now? If it is a decent one, perhaps you could get it switched over onto a new bike with a lower standard groupset to save a bit of cash.
Enjoy your camping Darren. Have fun with your family, forget about training for a week it won't kill you. OK totally dumb question but I can ask it here. What exactly does group set mean? It has something to do with your gears doesn't it? All the components on my current bike are Sora but I don't think that this answers Darren's question does it?
Yes it does

Yes, it's the brakes, derailleurs, shifters, brake levers, cassette, chainrings, chain. This is yours. At least the current version of it. Not all bikes are going to have exact matches on everything. Lower level ones may have some mix of Tiagra and Sora. I've seen these come with an Ultegra rear derailleur as well. 

Thanks Ben, I wasn't sure if it meant all the bits or just the cogs that the chain runs around on. Do you like my amazingly technical terms here. (See this is why I have to post these questions to you guys and not in the main forum because I don't want to get laughed off the site )

Which leads me to my silly question to follow up Stacey's.   I've thought groupset and components are rather interchangeable terms in most discussions. Like all groupsets are components, with a small fraction of components not being part of groupset. Yes? No?

Basically a group set is a matching set of components. The Ultegra rear derailleur on my road bike is not part of the 105 group set that everything else is, but they still work together.

Gotcha! thanks
2014-08-07 10:48 AM

User image

Master
TJ, is it an upward or lateral move? Have you/he searched for cost of living adjustment calculator? Pretty sure Jason was using one a couple of years ago. I'll double check with him.

2014-08-07 11:11 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by 4agoodlife TJ, is it an upward or lateral move? Have you/he searched for cost of living adjustment calculator? Pretty sure Jason was using one a couple of years ago. I'll double check with him.

I did research Houston cost of living and such. Unless there is a calculator that will tell me Nuremberg vs. Houston I feel like I'm comparing apples and oranges!

2014-08-07 11:12 AM

Master
Northern IL

These are intended to go on the aerobars of a tri bike. Wouldn't really work for a basic road bike.

I've had the A2 for some time, but never really finished hooking it up as it seemed a bit big & clunky. Didn't like how the garmin would be sitting up top of everything. Take a look at the XLab Torpedo.

Thats pretty nice.  How is it for refilling?

I don't know, I've been on the road bike all season. Also only doing short course tris this season. 

I may just wait for your review ;-)

I messaged this to Chris last night I have the Xlab torpedo. It's pretty slick and I like it a lot. It has two covers - one that seals it and one that leaves an opening for easy refil. So far I've only used the closed cover - in fact now that I think about it I'm not sure where I put the other. EEK lol also, Candice from Xlab posts regularly on ST and is pretty helpful with peoples questions etc. In fact when I wanted one QBP was back ordered and she told me to tell my shop to call them directly and they got one. I think Install can be a little tricky but between a good shop and Candice it's all good!

It's probably going to be at least a few weeks before I have anything more to say. And I'm just looking at short-course, so no refills.

2014-08-07 11:14 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
2014-08-07 11:17 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Denver, CO

Thanks!  Looks she fits right in - there are lots of red bikes amongst us.  No wonder we're all so speedy.

2014-08-07 11:23 AM
in reply to: dmgaudre

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by dmgaudreJust took my first quick ride an actual road bike. Holy moly is it different from my mountain bike and the stationery bike at the Y. My legs are screaming! Woohoo!Darren...you got me...I'm 39 in that picture... :-)
Isn't it fun???? Did you borrow or....dare I say, buy? Have to be careful around here even whispering bike and buy in the same sentence.
Borrowed. As this is my first tri I thought I had better not invest too much money right away. And I have been looking at bikes and boy are they expensive! LOL
Look at craigslist for used. Especially in our area with so much good riding weather, there's a lot out there. Shops post their bikes on CL too. We found mine at a little place in fountain hills. And I was same thinking as you, so my first tri was on my mtn bike .Bought my road before second one. Lol
I seriously wouldn't even know where to start when deciding on a bike. I don't know anything about them...

Bicycling Magazine is a good resource.  They have a section for beginners with articles about all kinds of things including how to shop for a bike.  The also have reviews of various bikes and you can choose the category of bike you're considering (road beginner, road enthusiast, etc.).  Here are some helpful links: 

http://www.bicycling.com/gearfinderproductlist?gfpagetype=category&gfid=823

http://www.bicycling.com/beginners/bikes-gear

A local bike shop is also a good place to start.  They can explain stuff to you and spend time helping you understand what you're looking at and looking for.

2014-08-07 11:24 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Denver, CO

Why is the "quote" function changing everything to bold and all caps?!  I definitely didn't post it that way.

2014-08-07 11:27 AM

User image

Originally posted by laffinrock

Why is the "quote" function changing everything to bold and all caps?!  I definitely didn't post it that way.

I noticed that too. No idea...

Thank you for the link, now to research!
2014-08-07 11:28 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by 4agoodlife TJ, is it an upward or lateral move? Have you/he searched for cost of living adjustment calculator? Pretty sure Jason was using one a couple of years ago. I'll double check with him.

I did research Houston cost of living and such. Unless there is a calculator that will tell me Nuremberg vs. Houston I feel like I'm comparing apples and oranges!

I think you put in current salary and then where you'd like to move. Then it gives what you'd need to make comparably. Waiting to hear back from J.
2014-08-07 11:31 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Just think of it as enthusiasm

2014-08-07 11:34 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Orlando

You veteran Manatees know how I've TRIED to like MTB for DH's sake. Well the other day we were talking with a MTBer from my coach group and DH mentioned that I probably just need a better MTB.

So a couple days ago we were watching the Tour of Utah and DH mentioned selling my bike to his co-worker for $20 (which is about what it's worth) and getting me a better bike. The boys said my look was priceless. I'm sure it was a combination of "OH NEW BIKE" and "oh i gotta ride a MTB"...

Okay for all you new Houstonites, and anyone else that can help. I got a text from my American born-German raised step brother asking about a job offer in Houston. He and I are trying to come up with a salary request and I just have no idea! We know what he makes in Germany but translating that to Houston with it's cost of living, not to mention US withholding stuff...  Here is the English translation of the job description. Thoughts?!?!!?!?!

You are accustomed to independent work and convince through dedication and reliability. You have successfully completed a training or a degree in logistics, trade or forwarding with emphasis and experience in the field of land -, air - and sea freight. Experience abroad and first experience in after sales service is desirable.

In the branch you are responsible for the management of daily operations, monitoring the stocks and movements of goods and the communication and coordination with the carriers. Other tasks include order entry and invoicing in the ERP system, the Office Organization and sales activities as needed.

We require good German and English language skills, service orientation and experience with ERP systems such as SAP, as well as MS Office. We offer an interesting and diverse workplace, a performance-related payment, as well as attractive contractual benefits.

Are you interested? Then apply now with your written documents, copies of certificates, as well as a tabular curriculum vitae stating your salary expectations.

Yay (?) to the new bike(!).  Maybe.  I got nothing for ya on the work thing other than the first part reminded me of some old school personal ad: me blah, blah blah; you really blah, blah blah.  

2014-08-07 11:38 AM
in reply to: dmgaudre

User image

Master
Sent you a couple of messages.
2014-08-07 11:53 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Melon Presser

Pardon the French, but this is exactly what I mean.

2014-08-07 12:14 PM

Master
Northern IL

there's

Bicycling Magazine is a good resource.  They have a section for beginners with articles about all kinds of things including how to shop for a bike.  The also have reviews of various bikes and you can choose the category of bike you're considering (road beginner, road enthusiast, etc.).  Here are some helpful links: 

http://www.bicycling.com/gearfinderproductlist?gfpagetype=category&gfid=823

http://www.bicycling.com/beginners/bikes-gear

A local bike shop is also a good place to start.  They can explain stuff to you and spend time helping you understand what you're looking at and looking for.

It was all Erin. 

2014-08-07 12:22 PM
in reply to: 0

Master
Northern IL

It can take some getting used to. There are similarities, but very notable differences as well. It's way less likely you'll be able to push out a steady effort. You'll likely have to pay way more attention to what's going on as well. It takes a different mindset to handle this. Staying mentally sharp much more of the ride and making sure not to push too hard so that you can physically make the tougher maneuvers.

The equipment does help with better shock absorption and shifting & braking just functioning better. The trail itself matters too. I can get a bit frustrated when things become too tight and technical. Where I have to watch every single root & rock instead of just riding over. Or have to duck under or around things. It can turn into going from running on a tight running path to one of those obstacle courses. Both have merits, but aren't quite the same thing.

Edited by brigby1 2014-08-07 12:23 PM
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 103

RELATED POSTS

Funked Up Triathletes - Season 2 - Olympic/Sprint Focus - Closed Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27

Started by funkj25
Views: 45024 Posts: 669

2018-01-16 11:34 PM aviatrix802

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 39219 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 76010 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 52213 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Todd's Tri Turtles 3 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Basically Closed Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23

Started by Hunting Triathlete
Views: 27586 Posts: 569

2014-12-14 7:18 PM cassowary
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.