Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 40

2008-02-19 10:10 AM
in reply to: #1092958

User image

Veteran
Cape Coral, FL , Florida
Subject: RE: owl_girl's Group --- FULL!
i forgot to put that way in there tracy . i like to to tempo training that way and that is the way i most always do it . cause im one of them that kinda hate speed work and doing it that way to me dont feel like speed work . on thing i wish i had down here is hills to do work on instead of speed intervils . but i live in the flat land and the only hills i got are bridges over the freeway .

im sure all of you have seen them by now so what do you think of the new Zoot race shoes ? i tried some on at the expo last weekend and ran in them for a bit . love them i got to get a pair almost bought them there but i had to buy my son a plane ticket cause he wants to come here next month to watch the Miami Int. Tri.
the only thing about them shoes is the size is tricky i had to drop 1 full size to get the right fit . im gonna try and order my pair next week so i can get a few runs before the tri in march

2008-02-19 11:10 AM
in reply to: #1220130

User image

Elite
far northern CA

mac3116 - 2008-02-19 8:10 AM i forgot to put that way in there tracy . i like to to tempo training that way and that is the way i most always do it . cause im one of them that kinda hate speed work and doing it that way to me dont feel like speed work . on thing i wish i had down here is hills to do work on instead of speed intervils . but i live in the flat land and the only hills i got are bridges over the freeway . im sure all of you have seen them by now so what do you think of the new Zoot race shoes ? i tried some on at the expo last weekend and ran in them for a bit . love them i got to get a pair almost bought them there but i had to buy my son a plane ticket cause he wants to come here next month to watch the Miami Int. Tri. the only thing about them shoes is the size is tricky i had to drop 1 full size to get the right fit . im gonna try and order my pair next week so i can get a few runs before the tri in march

Yeah, I love that type of tempo training, too.  You might be lacking hills but you have the heat and humidity to deal with!  I ran in Fiji and it HURT!

I did see the new Zoot shoes!  Glad to hear you liked them!  Are they more like a racing flat?  How was the toe box?  I need lots of room around my toes.  I tend to get black toenails if the toe box is not roomy.

2008-02-19 5:41 PM

User image

Virginia
Hey all,

I'll be logging from the west coast.

I leave for a trip to Yuba City/Marysville, CA from Wednesday until Monday.

Right now the weather calls for rain each day.

I hope I can get in some outside running.
2008-02-19 9:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Cape Coral, FL , Florida
i think there was alot of room in the toe box . that is one reason i had to keep going down in sizes . i started with my normal size then went down and then they came over and put me down another size and it fit great . there almost like flats there is nothing to them on the top heck there cant be at what 8.5 oz . i had the issue with some black toes before but these put no pressure on the toes its almost like the whole toe box aint there . the only thing is im glad i got to try a pair on cause i would have got the wrong size for sure . every place has them at 130 but if you are a member of road runner sports they got them for 116 for there vip members
2008-02-19 9:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Cape Coral, FL , Florida
hey i ment to ask i just got a email from a sponsorship offer from Motor Tabs . anyone know anything about them or have used them ? i need to find out more before i take any action on there offer
2008-02-20 12:09 PM
in reply to: #1222458

User image

Elite
far northern CA

mac3116 - 2008-02-19 7:38 PM hey i ment to ask i just got a email from a sponsorship offer from Motor Tabs . anyone know anything about them or have used them ? i need to find out more before i take any action on there offer

I know nothing about Motor Tabs.  Very cool that they want to sponsor you!  How do you go about getting a sponsor?

Thanks for the info about the shoes.  I think I'll look into them.  Hopefully I can find a place to try them like you did.  Cheers!

2008-02-20 12:11 PM
in reply to: #1221833

User image

Elite
far northern CA

michaeldhess - 2008-02-19 3:41 PM Hey all, I'll be logging from the west coast. I leave for a trip to Yuba City/Marysville, CA from Wednesday until Monday. Right now the weather calls for rain each day. I hope I can get in some outside running.

Welcome to California!  The weather isn't going to be to bad.  At least the rain is relatively warm!

2008-02-20 4:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Cape Coral, FL , Florida
i have turned in a bunch for all kinds from GU to First Endurance i just look for them . i know they might not give me a full sponsorship cause im sure not a elite . but if you like there products put one in and sometimes you will get one back offering big discounts . i got one from GU right now like that and one from First Enduracne also .
but i went to loopd.com and set up a name in there and there is a place to look for sponsors and some how the motor tabs found me there but they come to me from sponsorhouse.com . i think what i need to do is go back and redo my bio cause i have knocked alot better times then what im sure i have on there .
i never really thought about ever looking for one but i got talked into it so now i turn then in evey year alot of no's but sometimes they will offer you something and at a great price you can use . powertri.com is a good one also i got sorry i forgot them they sent me a big box with 4 sets yankz , water bottle , goggles, body glide, cycling jersey etc. so just give them all a shot you never know good luck and great training guys
2008-02-20 5:23 PM

User image

Elite
far northern CA

I just noticed that this site is allowing us to record more than one run or bike or swim in one day!  I'm so excited about this!  Sometimes I do two runs in a day.  In the past, I've had to put the second run on another day.  Yeah!!!!!

How is everyone's training going?

2008-02-20 5:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Cape Coral, FL , Florida
you must have got the email . i read it but was not sure how till i just went and looked for it . i think its great cause i do 2adys alot but i add mine together for that day . make me want to do one tomorrow just to try it out
2008-02-20 6:17 PM
in reply to: #1224593

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
owl_girl - 2008-02-20 6:23 PM

I just noticed that this site is allowing us to record more than one run or bike or swim in one day! I'm so excited about this! Sometimes I do two runs in a day. In the past, I've had to put the second run on another day. Yeah!!!!!

I think they announced it somewhere on the site, but I first noticed it on my own. In the past when I did two rides in the same day (there and back on a work commute) I had to do math to add the rides together. This is a nice feature.

I'm scheduled to run tomorrow, but wintery weather is making it look like it might not be safe. Friday might be even worse. Looks like I may have to put my run off until Saturday. Unfortunately, I was planning to take Saturday off since we're celebrating our anniversary with massages and dinner.

2008-02-21 10:15 AM
in reply to: #1219627

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon

Sorry about your loss, Tracey.

I've been driving back to Montana and without an internet connection for a few days. Just now got the chance to check my email, forums, etc. So, I'm in catch up mode once again.

2008-02-21 10:30 AM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon

My half marathon is on Saturday, and I'm a little worried that I've spent the last two weeks at 200 ft above sea level and warm. I went for a run outside in Kalispell last night and cut it short because the hard packed lumpy icey snow surface was killing my calves, and the last thing I need on race day is sore calves. The roads are plowed for the race, so other than some possible icey patches the surface should be good. The elevation is about 3800 ft though and it will likely be in the teens or twenties. Wish I had more time to reaclimate, oh well. Looking forward to it otherwise

Oh yeah, I changed my username too as you probably noticed. I'm traveling a lot with my husband and running all over the pacific northwest, so I thought it was fitting

2008-02-21 10:48 AM
in reply to: #1224672

User image

Elite
far northern CA
MDHillSlug - 2008-02-20 4:17 PM
owl_girl - 2008-02-20 6:23 PM

I just noticed that this site is allowing us to record more than one run or bike or swim in one day! I'm so excited about this! Sometimes I do two runs in a day. In the past, I've had to put the second run on another day. Yeah!!!!!

I think they announced it somewhere on the site, but I first noticed it on my own. In the past when I did two rides in the same day (there and back on a work commute) I had to do math to add the rides together. This is a nice feature.

I'm scheduled to run tomorrow, but wintery weather is making it look like it might not be safe. Friday might be even worse. Looks like I may have to put my run off until Saturday. Unfortunately, I was planning to take Saturday off since we're celebrating our anniversary with massages and dinner.

Take it easy on the nasty roads.  I think you should run early on Saturday and then get the massage!  OOOOOO!!!!  That sounds great to me!  (You could always get a little run in on the treadmill.)

2008-02-21 10:49 AM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
I have a question for you guys. . . my race is Saturday and I have a fitness swim class on Friday evening that I've missed for a couple weeks due to being out of town. I'd like to attend it Friday, but am unsure if this would be wise the night before the race. The last one I went to I was really fatigued that night and slightly tired the next day but I hadn't swam in a long time before that first class. Since then I have been getting in the pool a couple times a week and am about back to the level I was before taking time off, so I think it would be a bit easier. Please let me know your thoughts on this. This will be my first half marathon, so I'm pretty clueless
2008-02-21 10:54 AM
in reply to: #1225896

User image

Elite
far northern CA
roni_runnw - 2008-02-21 8:30 AM

My half marathon is on Saturday, and I'm a little worried that I've spent the last two weeks at 200 ft above sea level and warm. I went for a run outside in Kalispell last night and cut it short because the hard packed lumpy icey snow surface was killing my calves, and the last thing I need on race day is sore calves. The roads are plowed for the race, so other than some possible icey patches the surface should be good. The elevation is about 3800 ft though and it will likely be in the teens or twenties. Wish I had more time to reaclimate, oh well. Looking forward to it otherwise

Oh yeah, I changed my username too as you probably noticed. I'm traveling a lot with my husband and running all over the pacific northwest, so I thought it was fitting

I have a tough time adjusting to elevation as well.  I feel your pain.  You will do fine, though.  You've been doing some fantastic training.

I have a little 5 mile race on Saturday, too!  It has some wicked hills and I'm just plain not ready for it.

I like your new user name!

2008-02-21 11:02 AM

User image

Pro
Olney, MD

We ended up with only a dusting and the roads and sidewalks were 99% clean and clear this morning. However, it was only 16 degrees. I got out for my 3.4 miles but it was the coldest run I've done this year and my legs never really loosened up. The run was slow, but not terribly slow.

Roni, I'd advise against swimming the night before your race.

Edited by MDHillSlug 2008-02-21 11:03 AM
2008-02-21 11:07 AM
in reply to: #1225940

User image

Elite
far northern CA

roni_runnw - 2008-02-21 8:49 AM I have a question for you guys. . . my race is Saturday and I have a fitness swim class on Friday evening that I've missed for a couple weeks due to being out of town. I'd like to attend it Friday, but am unsure if this would be wise the night before the race. The last one I went to I was really fatigued that night and slightly tired the next day but I hadn't swam in a long time before that first class. Since then I have been getting in the pool a couple times a week and am about back to the level I was before taking time off, so I think it would be a bit easier. Please let me know your thoughts on this. This will be my first half marathon, so I'm pretty clueless

Don't do the class.  A nice easy swim would be fine, though.  Don't do anything that would compromise your energy level.  Get to bed early!

Today and tomorrow, start building up your muscle and liver glycogen stores by eating a bit more carbohydrates than normal.  (This is no time to diet!)  Keep well hydrated.  On Friday night, eat a meal that you know will give you energy for your race.  Try to avoid salad and other vegis that are difficult to digest.  On Saturday morning, eat your usual pre-long run meal and continue to hydrate.  If you feel slightly sluggish before your race, don't worry.  That is due to the extra water that your muscles and liver are holding onto.

You are going to do great, Roni!  We all want a full report Saturday night!!

2008-02-21 1:03 PM

User image

Elite
far northern CA
OK group.  It is time to start setting some goals for March.  The triathlon season is fast approaching!  You should have a pretty solid base by now.  Who has an "A" race in March?  Maybe you want to start experimenting with fueling up for a long bike ride.  What about that run?  Do you want to start doing some track workouts for speed?  How is your swimming endurance?  Pick one or two things to focus on in March and let all of us know what it is.  I'll be giving it some thought over the weekend, too.  Cheers!
2008-02-21 3:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Cape Coral, FL , Florida
skip it roni !! i 2nd and 3rd there thoughts .

i got my first OLY the miami race on march 16 . been trying to work more on swimming im really trying to get to the beach a few times before the race too just for some open water ourkouts . i think sunday is gonna be one of them . plus still working on the bike im not fitting in long rides but they are covering the distance . my avg. speeds might not look all that great but i have to go through traffic both was to get to the riding grounds . allways working on running !!
2008-02-22 10:18 AM
in reply to: #1226655

User image

Elite
far northern CA

mac3116 - 2008-02-21 1:14 PM skip it roni !! i 2nd and 3rd there thoughts . i got my first OLY the miami race on march 16 . been trying to work more on swimming im really trying to get to the beach a few times before the race too just for some open water ourkouts . i think sunday is gonna be one of them . plus still working on the bike im not fitting in long rides but they are covering the distance . my avg. speeds might not look all that great but i have to go through traffic both was to get to the riding grounds . allways working on running !!

You are very fortunate to live in an area where you can do open water swims in the winter.  I think the rest of us have to break through too much ice on the water to do that!

2008-02-22 3:34 PM
in reply to: #1226342

User image

Pro
Olney, MD

owl_girl - 2008-02-21 2:03 PM OK group. It is time to start setting some goals for March.

My first tri is April 20. It will be only my third OWS and my first requiring a wetsuit. For the last few weeks I've been increasing my weekend biking up to 30 miles. In March I expect to start doing shorter race-like distances, pairing them up as bricks. I'm not sure what else I should be doing.

2008-02-22 5:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Cape Coral, FL , Florida
you know tracy that is one good thing about it down here . the gulf temps are running around 72 right now so not only can i do a open water but i can also get time in my wet suit . but on the other hand at 6am this morning going out for a run it was 71 with 91%humidity . the air felt like i could chew so it works in both ways . when i go up out of state to races i freeze!! but when people come down here it is not only a mental but a physical struggle for a lot of them i meet .
2008-02-22 5:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Cape Coral, FL , Florida
RONI HAS HER FIRST HALF MARATHON IN THE MORNING ! GOOD LUCK GIRL !!
2008-02-22 5:51 PM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
Thanks, Shaun! And thanks everyone for the advice, I'm going to listen and skip the swim class tonight. Forcast for the race says 30's with a chance of light snow flurries, so weather shouldn't be too bad, also says there is a lot of ice on the course. I thought about wearing my ice cleats, but I think they'd cause me more problems than they'd help at that distance. 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » owl_girl's Group --- FULL! Rss Feed  

of 40