BT Development Mentor Program Archives » owl_girl's Group --- FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 40

2007-12-10 2:27 PM

User image

Elite
far northern CA
Subject: owl_girl's Group --- FULL!

Hello everyone!  My name is Tracy (owl_girl).

I LOVE triathlon!!!!  I just finished my second season of triathlon racing.  My second season was so much fun.  I really learned how to focus my training and it made me a better racer.  I've been running for several years so racing was not a foriegn concept to me.  Triathlon racing, however, is much different.  The mental fortitude a person must have to train and race triathlon is the most impressive aspect of this sport.

I'm sure glad I have a wonderful fiancee that supports me in my training and racing goals!  I even got him to try a couple of tris this past season.  He really enjoyed them and loves joining me on my training runs and rides.  Sometimes my three dogs (2 labs and 1 german shepherd) join me on easy workouts!  

My current training plan is pretty basic.  I'm in the winter maintenence phase.  I've been trying to increase the length of my swims, take spinning classes, run with friends, and get back into yoga.  I'll begin training for a 1/2 Ironman (Boise) in January.  My races over the past two years have included several sprint tris, an olympic distance, lots of 5K and 10K running races, a couple of 1/2 marathons, a marathon, and bicycle time trial.

I would love to help you get started in this great sport.  Consistent training is key your success and I want to be there to tell you that you can accomplish ANYTHING!!!!

Edited by owl_girl 2007-12-27 3:03 PM

2007-12-18 6:52 PM
in reply to: #1092958

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
Subject: RE: owl_girl's Group --- OPEN!
May I join oh wise Owl?
2007-12-18 7:41 PM
in reply to: #1108651

User image

Elite
far northern CA

MDHillSlug - 2007-12-18 4:52 PM May I join oh wise Owl?

Of course!!!!

Would you be so kind as to give our great little thread a bio of yourself?

I'll write a better note later.  I still need to get to the gym.  Oh, busy, busy day!!!

Cheers!!!!

2007-12-19 9:08 AM

User image

Pro
Olney, MD

I rode a bike everywhere as a kid but not so much after I got my driver's license. I did some bike commuting in graduate school in Boston but then moved to Chicago and pretty much didn't touch a bike again for almost 20 years. In 2003 I bought a trainer stand and started working out in the basement. In 2004 I bought a new bike, a hybrid, with the intention of getting back out on the road. I finally made it out onto the road in spring of 2006 for a small, local charity ride (only 10k) but had already set my sights on doing a 25 mile diabetes Tour de Cure ride the following month. That ride was a huge success. The bug had bitten and I moved up to a road bike that fall. That's when a friend told me about the Iron Girl triathlon she had just done. That got me to thinking "I could do that!" What was I thinking?!? I started running in October 2006 and stated swimming (poorly) that December. This summer I completed two triathlons. Along the way I had to deal with a sprained ankle and kneecaps that stopped tracking properly. I'm on the mend and looking forward to three triathlons in 2008, a metric century ride for the Tour de Cure, and a few 5k races along the way.

I love working out and celebrating the improvements and milestones. The triathlons and races focus my training. I'll probably never reach the podium but I love seeing that I'm capable of more than I ever thought.

Most of my family thinks I'm crazy but my partner (usually) gives me her full support. 

2007-12-19 10:44 AM
in reply to: #1109413

User image

Elite
far northern CA

Sounds like you have a great cycling base, Nicole!  Do you still train and race on your hybrid or have you moved to a road bike or tri bike?

Of the remaining two sports, which one are you more confident about?

As for me, I'm a runner.  I've been running for several years.  I bought a road bike a few years ago and did a duathlon.  I loved it!  (Hmmm.  Can I do a triathlon?)  I didn't know how to swim until a couple of years ago, so I took lessons.  My first ever triathlon was a disaster!  The swim freaked me out (I had only been swimming for a short time), the chain came off my bike half way into the ride (and took FOREVER to get back on), and my run was slow (frustrating for a runner).  All of those things ticked me off so I was determined to get better in this sport!

My family is quite supportive of my chosen sport.  They like it a lot better than my true love.....mountaineering.  My fiancee loves the sport, too.  He's always looking for races.   Does your partner do any of the tri sports?  I met my fiancee at a running race.  I'll tell that story later.

Of the the three triathlons, which one (or two) would you like to do the best at?

I hope you have a fantastic morning!  Cheers!!!!

Edited by owl_girl 2007-12-19 10:46 AM
2007-12-19 11:41 AM
in reply to: #1109651

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
owl_girl - 2007-12-19 11:44 AM

Sounds like you have a great cycling base, Nicole! Do you still train and race on your hybrid or have you moved to a road bike or tri bike?

I bought a Specialized Sequoia comfort road bike in September 2006 and used it for my triathlons. This summer I replaced the hybrid with a Jamis Coda flat bar road bike for commuting. I've just acquired all the parts for a Specialized Allez race bike and need to get it assembled. I expect to use this bike for my upcoming triathlons.

Of the remaining two sports, which one are you more confident about?

I'm not sure. Some background:

When I started swim training last December I discovered that I swam very poorly. I got a coach and started working hard at improving. For my two triathlons I had barely swum the distance in training by the time I had to race. I had zero confidence. I've put a lot of time in the pool since then and gained lots of confidence and endurance. Right now I'm working on bilateral breathing and improving my stroke. Later in the winter I'll start working on improving my speed.

I started running last October and made good, steady progress through the spring. In early June I was running really well and feeling very confident. However, on June 16 I sprained my left ankle during a 5k race (still managed to set a PB). After 3 weeks off, I was having a hard time getting my distance back up for my first triathlon and my speed was way down. I totally tanked the run during that triathlon. By this time I was having knee issues but was ignoring it until after my second triathlon. After the second tri I had to completely shut down the running and do PT to get my kneecaps tracking correctly. After another 2 months off I restarted running in October. Right now I need to work on both distance/endurance and speed.

Hmm...after writing this out I guess, right now, I have more confidence in my swimming.

Does your partner do any of the tri sports?

My partner used to be a biker, but that was 3 knee operations ago and before I knew her. I'd love to see her lose a bunch of weight and be able to get back on a bike. She's been very supportive of all this, but has her limits. ;-)

I used to rock climb.

Edited by MDHillSlug 2007-12-19 11:42 AM

2007-12-19 7:02 PM

User image

Elite
far northern CA

FANTASTIC!!!!!

You just figured out your tri-specific strengths and weaknesses!

One thing that I think would be fun to do with this group would be a recipe exchange.  Nutrition is so very important in regards to training for triathlons.  My thought is to do this once a week.  Anyone can do this at any time, though.  I'll continue thinking about this over the next couple of days.

Do you have anything in particular that you would like to talk about/ask/learn over the next few months?

I hope you have a wonderful evening!  Cheers!

2007-12-19 7:04 PM
in reply to: #1109413

User image

Elite
far northern CA
MDHillSlug - 2007-12-19 7:08 AM

I rode a bike everywhere as a kid but not so much after I got my driver's license. I did some bike commuting in graduate school in Boston but then moved to Chicago and pretty much didn't touch a bike again for almost 20 years. In 2003 I bought a trainer stand and started working out in the basement. In 2004 I bought a new bike, a hybrid, with the intention of getting back out on the road. I finally made it out onto the road in spring of 2006 for a small, local charity ride (only 10k) but had already set my sights on doing a 25 mile diabetes Tour de Cure ride the following month. That ride was a huge success. The bug had bitten and I moved up to a road bike that fall. That's when a friend told me about the Iron Girl triathlon she had just done. That got me to thinking "I could do that!" What was I thinking?!? I started running in October 2006 and stated swimming (poorly) that December. This summer I completed two triathlons. Along the way I had to deal with a sprained ankle and kneecaps that stopped tracking properly. I'm on the mend and looking forward to three triathlons in 2008, a metric century ride for the Tour de Cure, and a few 5k races along the way.

I love working out and celebrating the improvements and milestones. The triathlons and races focus my training. I'll probably never reach the podium but I love seeing that I'm capable of more than I ever thought.

Most of my family thinks I'm crazy but my partner (usually) gives me her full support. 

Oh!  BTW!  I graduated from Rutgers.  A very good friend of mine is from MD.  She lives in San Diego now.  Guess she got tired of the weather!

2007-12-19 8:13 PM
in reply to: #1110764

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
owl_girl - 2007-12-19 8:04 PM

Oh! BTW! I graduated from Rutgers. A very good friend of mine is from MD. She lives in San Diego now. Guess she got tired of the weather!

I was accepted to Rutgers for their bio program, but it was too aggie for me. Besides I didn't like the dorms that were downwind of the pig farm. 

2007-12-20 6:45 PM

User image

Elite
far northern CA

You did a great swim today, Nicole!!!!  You are very consistent!  Great job raising your goal, too.

2007-12-21 9:21 AM

User image

Pro
Olney, MD

I had another lousy run this morning and I'm feeling discouraged about my running. Why am I finding it so hard to regain the form and confidence I had back in June? I'm thinking I need a running coach.

At least there's always swimming.

2007-12-21 11:27 AM
in reply to: #1113242

User image

Elite
far northern CA
MDHillSlug - 2007-12-21 7:21 AM

I had another lousy run this morning and I'm feeling discouraged about my running. Why am I finding it so hard to regain the form and confidence I had back in June? I'm thinking I need a running coach.

At least there's always swimming.

I checked out your running over the past year.  You made some very nice gains in speed between March and June!  Did you commit yourself to increasing your speed during that time period?

Here are a couple more questions.  Do you follow a specific training plan?  Do you belong to a gym?  What is going on with your heart rate?  It seems a bit high.  (That could indicate overtraining.  It could also indicate an impending illness.)

I would not feel discouraged, at all, regarding your run today.  You did a very respectable 10 minute mile.  Think back to when you couldn't do that at all!

I'm going to be off BT until later this evening.  I need to head into town and get my swim done before I teach my Spinning class.  Have a great afternoon.  I'll catch up with ya later.  Cheers!!!!

2007-12-21 12:33 PM
in reply to: #1113461

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
owl_girl - 2007-12-21 12:27 PM

I checked out your running over the past year. You made some very nice gains in speed between March and June! Did you commit yourself to increasing your speed during that time period?

Here are a couple more questions. Do you follow a specific training plan? Do you belong to a gym? What is going on with your heart rate? It seems a bit high. (That could indicate overtraining. It could also indicate an impending illness.)

I would not feel discouraged, at all, regarding your run today. You did a very respectable 10 minute mile. Think back to when you couldn't do that at all!

I'm going to be off BT until later this evening. I need to head into town and get my swim done before I teach my Spinning class. Have a great afternoon. I'll catch up with ya later. Cheers!!!!

Back in the spring my speed gains seemed to come almost effortlessly. I was running at a 9:15 pace and was thinking I could go sub 9. Then, I sprained my ankle. Anyway, now I feel like I'm struggling to keep a 9:30 pace and I'm not even back up to 5k distance. Yeah, a 10 minute mile is respectable, but I'd really like to be able to do that in the run leg of a triathlon, so I figure I've got to be running at least 9:30 in practice.

My head is getting congested so it's likely that I'm coming down with a cold. Perhaps that is contributing to my poor runs this week and my screwy HR. Since my average HR is pretty steady and only my maxHR is elevated I wonder if that's as likely to be an issue with the HRM itself.

I know I shouldn't be so hard on myself, but sometimes it's hard to be patient.

2007-12-22 12:05 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Hey Owl Girl and fellow masocists. My name is Steve and I'm a newbie Triathlete (Audience response: Hi Steve). I started doing this thing called running in October, bought a tri-bike in November, crashed it and totaled it 3 days before my first tri on 12/9. So I got to compete on a rental bike yay. Anyway I thought I would pop in as Owl_Girl was in a previous challenge I was in. Fortunately I got my bike fixed and back today (500 mile round trip x 2 to nearest bike shop). Anyway hi all. I will fill yall in about my life, but I have to pack and drive 700 miles probably at least starting in a snowstorm tomorrow.
2007-12-22 10:14 AM
in reply to: #1114187

User image

Pro
Olney, MD

Hi Steve!

I'm looking forward to hearing your back story and training with you.

Nicole 

2007-12-22 6:46 PM

User image

Vancouver BC
I like to join this as well .. I promise before the new year I will file out a bio. Just today learning more about the site and have a sick kid

2007-12-22 8:35 PM
in reply to: #1114608

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
Welcome to the team!
2007-12-23 12:06 AM

User image

Vancouver BC
I find motivation where I find peace in the eyes of the ones I love

List of the Fact, I know nothing about Triathlon

List of the Wish, to finish my 1 race 08/02/08

Relevant Experiences I can swim like a fish and love to spend time in the pool or the ocean. I have just picked up a second hand bike and my son promises he will help me learn to ride better. I have not run since before my son was born.

My son who is 12 and my boyfriend has both agreed to support me fully in this adventure. I know that belong somewhere is part of the keys. I have picked a program
Slow and steady and will reach this goal.

Written this honestly and to the point, in the hopes will have a pretty good chance of being remembered.
2007-12-23 2:52 PM
in reply to: #1114187

User image

Elite
far northern CA

Baowolf - 2007-12-21 10:05 PM Hey Owl Girl and fellow masocists. My name is Steve and I'm a newbie Triathlete (Audience response: Hi Steve). I started doing this thing called running in October, bought a tri-bike in November, crashed it and totaled it 3 days before my first tri on 12/9. So I got to compete on a rental bike yay. Anyway I thought I would pop in as Owl_Girl was in a previous challenge I was in. Fortunately I got my bike fixed and back today (500 mile round trip x 2 to nearest bike shop). Anyway hi all. I will fill yall in about my life, but I have to pack and drive 700 miles probably at least starting in a snowstorm tomorrow.

Hi Steve!!!  So glad to see ya!  Glad you got your bike fixed.  How are your stitches?

Are you going to join our group?  You are more than welcome to.

I hope you are having a wonderful weekend!  Cheers!

2007-12-23 2:59 PM
in reply to: #1114779

User image

Elite
far northern CA

princessamy - 2007-12-22 10:06 PM I find motivation where I find peace in the eyes of the ones I love List of the Fact, I know nothing about Triathlon List of the Wish, to finish my 1 race 08/02/08 Relevant Experiences I can swim like a fish and love to spend time in the pool or the ocean. I have just picked up a second hand bike and my son promises he will help me learn to ride better. I have not run since before my son was born. My son who is 12 and my boyfriend has both agreed to support me fully in this adventure. I know that belong somewhere is part of the keys. I have picked a program Slow and steady and will reach this goal. Written this honestly and to the point, in the hopes will have a pretty good chance of being remembered.

Hi Amy!  Welcome to our group!  We can all help each other enjoy this great sport!  It sounds wonderful that you have support from your family and boyfriend!

I have added you to my friends list (which you can find under your control panel near the "log off" button) so I can check on you a little easier.  If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to post it here in our thread or send me a PM.

I hope you are having a wonderful weekend.  Get that sick kid feeling better before Santa arrives!!!!  Cheers!

2007-12-23 3:05 PM
in reply to: #1113614

User image

Elite
far northern CA

Hi Nicole!  I guess getting sick is forcing you to be patient!   I hope you are starting to feel a little better.

As for the pace that you would like to run during a tri......your best training strategy would be to run longer during your training runs.  Don't worry as much about pace right now.  Just get used to running further than your intended race.  I'll discuss how to accomplish this within the next couple of days.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!  Cheers!!!

Edited by owl_girl 2007-12-23 3:06 PM

2007-12-23 4:26 PM
in reply to: #1115034

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
owl_girl - 2007-12-23 4:05 PM

Hi Nicole! I guess getting sick is forcing you to be patient! I hope you are starting to feel a little better.

As for the pace that you would like to run during a tri......your best training strategy would be to run longer during your training runs. Don't worry as much about pace right now. Just get used to running further than your intended race. I'll discuss how to accomplish this within the next couple of days.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend! Cheers!!!

I'm still in the feeling worse part of my cold.

I've kinda figured out that I need to be running further in practice than needed for races. Do you have an idea how much further?

Have a great holiday everyone! 

2007-12-24 11:10 AM
in reply to: #1115066

User image

Elite
far northern CA
MDHillSlug - 2007-12-23 2:26 PM
owl_girl - 2007-12-23 4:05 PM

Hi Nicole! I guess getting sick is forcing you to be patient! I hope you are starting to feel a little better.

As for the pace that you would like to run during a tri......your best training strategy would be to run longer during your training runs. Don't worry as much about pace right now. Just get used to running further than your intended race. I'll discuss how to accomplish this within the next couple of days.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend! Cheers!!!

I'm still in the feeling worse part of my cold.

I've kinda figured out that I need to be running further in practice than needed for races. Do you have an idea how much further?

Have a great holiday everyone! 

That stinks that you're still sick!  Makes for a joyous holiday season, huh!  At least there is lots of food around so you can "feed your cold"!

As for your running, since you are doing sprint distance races this season, focus on getting comfortable running for one hour once a week.  To accomplish this, pick a day that is best for your schedule for a long run (Sat or Sun usually).  Run for 20 minutes on week one.  Run 25 minutes on week two.  Run 30 minutes on week 3.  Run 20 minutes on week 4.  Run 35 minutes on week 5.  Get the picture?  Once you hit one hour of running, stay at that level for your long run until it feels effortless.  The slow progression of time will also help reduce the likelyhood of injury.

I hope you have a wonderful Christmas!  Cheers!!!

2007-12-24 4:46 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Took the bike out for a little 28 miles ride today to test everything out. Oh my I do not like riding in Santa Barbara. Well, it is nice and warm, but those hills of more than 10 percent grade and the sharp turns, and stoplights and tourists everywhere. I guess that is practice getting into and out of the clips. So to ward off cookies and candies I did an 8.75 mile run before church yesterday and a 28 mile bike ride today. Man exercizing at sea level is great for my times on runs and endurance even though I had to take a few days off to pick up my bike and drive down here (1200 miles). I train at 4500 to 5500 feet above sea level. And it is cold up there. It was like high 60's today in SB. Ok, well Merry Christmas everyone, I am off to get ready for Vigil mass and such.
2007-12-24 11:24 PM

User image

Vancouver BC
ok i have one of the newbie question what a brick?
merry christmas to you all
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » owl_girl's Group --- FULL! Rss Feed  

of 40