BT Development Mentor Program Archives » enginerd's geek heaven - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2009-06-22 9:05 AM
in reply to: #2069077

User image

Master
San Francisco
Subject: RE: enginerd's geek heaven - FULL
BTW, I just noticed Steve's RR is up too so check it out.

Of course, I'm way behind on mine...as usual.

2009-06-22 9:07 AM

User image

Master
San Francisco
Yvonne, very, very sorry to hear about the sfx.  Glad to hear you are on the mend.  We'll send some healing vibes your way.
2009-06-22 9:08 AM
in reply to: #2231834

User image

Master
San Francisco
Baowolf - 2009-06-21 9:19 AM

First off, ya get the bungie laces for like $3-5 at a running store, you don't need to tie your shoes after the bike is too hard and takes time. 

You don't want to swim and then bike and run in your bike shorts.  I would spring for a pair of tri shorts.  If you don't have any cash for tri shorts I might where your jammers to swim in, put on bike shorts over those and drop the bike shorts for the run and run in your jammers.  Running with wet bike shorts is like running with a wet diaper.  It should only take you 5-10 seconds to put your bike shorts on over your swimsuit and take them off again.  I would try the bike that way just to be sure you don't get any unusual rubbing.  Tri shorts should run you $25 to $45.

Swim to bike bricks are not so important, only practicing the transition part.  The bike to run brick is your main issue, because your but and legs go dead when you go from bike to run and you need to get your body used to that transition. 

Hope that was clear.  You are going to do fine.  

Eric, pretty much x2 on everything Steve said.

For quick laces, I use Yankz.  They make a big difference over having to tie your shoes.  Of course, there are some out there (Bryan), who just tie their shoes loose enough so they can slip them on.
2009-06-22 9:21 AM
in reply to: #2233508

User image

Master
So sorry Yvonne, about the stress fracture!! But it's better to know what is ailing you, no? And glad that you are already half-way through the healing. But it sucks sucks sucks, I know. Wah. Time to practice that biking and swimming!!!

Eric -- just to throw a wrench into the comments here... I hate the bungee laces (those are the elasticized ones, yes?). I don't feel like I can get them adjusted right and it's not comfortable FOR ME. I have used them for shorter races and they've been fine, but I like to race in the shoes I train in and I don't like those laces for longer runs. I use those little plastic clip/slider things that you just cinch and slide down the laces to tighten them up. So I have them loose when my shoes are waiting for me in transition so I can slide them on easily, then tighten them and off I go!

And it's good to practice the logistics of transitions... but Bao is right, the one that your BODY (and brain) need the most is the bike-to-run workout. It's fun to see your race countdown. Yeah!!

Feeling pretty sore ALL OVER today, but it's a good sore. I love that my arms, back, and legs are all feeling the race. I'm really curious to see if my legs will be less sore than after a marathon. I think the marathon pound them quite a bit more and the soreness is more intense. Need to d/l from my Garmin so I can work on my RR!
2009-06-22 1:18 PM

User image

, Arizona
Kyla, do you just tie off the excess shoelace since there is no knot? That's originally what I thought the quicklaces were, just the clip, I didn't know they had elastic laces till yesterday.

My girlfriend thinks I've officially gone nuts. I told her I was going to put my wetsuit on this weekend and I wanted her to spray me down with the hose, then I'll run down the street and get my bike gear on, then ride down the street and back and practice putting my shoes on for transition practice. I'm sure the neighbors kids will enjoy the show. =)
2009-06-22 1:31 PM
in reply to: #2232939

User image

Synon - 2009-06-22 12:56 AM 
Oh, and Jules, you mentioned getting a good rack position. What position should I be opting for? I figure the ends are the best, but I'm not sure which end I should be going for... or maybe the ends are bad because of all the people running by?

I defer to the more experienced on this question - I grabbed a spot on the end so it was quicker to get in and out, but it was a small local race so there weren't that many people running by at any one time.

2009-06-22 1:32 PM
in reply to: #2232066

User image

Master
treehugger - 2009-06-21 3:22 PM

Baowolf - 2009-06-21 12:19 PM

First off, ya get the bungie laces for like $3-5 at a running store, you don't need to tie your shoes after the bike is too hard and takes time.  

I live in a small town, too, and couldn't find these at any running store so I ordered them from a tri shop online. Amazon also has them. Best move ever. After losing much sleep over the transitions, they ended up being quick and easy, which I credit 50% to the bungee laces and 50% to getting there early to get a good rack position (we were assigned to certain racks but not specific spots on the racks).

So I not only survived my first tri yesterday, but I had a blast and I'm totally hooked. I can't wait for the next one! I'll post my RR soon.

OK, gang... Jules just posted her RR. She very modestly neglected to mention that SHE WON HER AGE GROUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holy smokes!! Nice going! I haven't even read the RR yet, cuz I got hung up on that small detail. Way to CRUSH it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations!!!!
2009-06-22 1:34 PM
in reply to: #2230346

User image

run_yc_run - 2009-06-19 11:46 PM

Rotten news...not much training in the form of running, it is official and I have a stress fracture. The doc said it was fairly significant as it was the full circumference of the bone. 6-12 wks of healing so I am halfway there. sigh...definitely frustrating as the weather is finally better, and I now have lots of time. I have been trying to up my calcium intake and I am signed up for a bone density test too since osteoporosis does run in my family and the doctor said that there is some cause for concern as this is my second stress fracture and yet I have been doing weight-bearing activities all my life. Hopefully the results will be fine and an extra glass of milk a day will do the trick.

Such bummer news, Yvonne. You must be climbing the walls! Are you able to bike? I hope the recovery is on the shorter end of the range, and that you're back to running soon! 

2009-06-22 2:23 PM
in reply to: #2234452

User image

Master
San Francisco
kkcbelle - 2009-06-22 11:32 AM  OK, gang... Jules just posted her RR. She very modestly neglected to mention that SHE WON HER AGE GROUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Holy smokes!! Nice going! I haven't even read the RR yet, cuz I got hung up on that small detail. Way to CRUSH it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations!!!!

Yeah, just a small little oversight there by Jules - first in her AG...WOW!
2009-06-22 2:31 PM

User image

um... thanks, Kyla. btw, I also turn into a tomato face when I'm embarrassed! Embarassed It surprised the heck out of me, but it was fun! My kids were very excited, especially when I gave them the swag!

2009-06-22 4:16 PM

User image

, Arizona
Whoa!!!! Just read your race report Jules, you obliterated the course!! Congrats on a 1st place AG finish on your first tri, that is so exciting!

Looks like this group is FAST, I better catch up!

2009-06-22 6:03 PM
in reply to: #2234404

User image

Master
Synon - 2009-06-22 1:18 PM Kyla, do you just tie off the excess shoelace since there is no knot? That's originally what I thought the quicklaces were, just the clip, I didn't know they had elastic laces till yesterday.

My girlfriend thinks I've officially gone nuts. I told her I was going to put my wetsuit on this weekend and I wanted her to spray me down with the hose, then I'll run down the street and get my bike gear on, then ride down the street and back and practice putting my shoes on for transition practice. I'm sure the neighbors kids will enjoy the show. =)

I get the plastic things attached to my shoes, leave some lace for loosening up, then cut off the excess (and take a lighter to the ends to prevent fraying).

I would pay good $$ to see someone getting sprayed down with a wetsuit and then running down the street!! LOL!

Tips on wetsuit removal: Leave cap and goggles ON and take off the top part of your wetsuit while you run to transition. Start the strip as soon as you are running -- also, don't stand up to run until your hands hit the ground. You will be faster and use less energy if you're not running through deep water. Anyway, when you get to transition, you can throw off your cap and goggles, and get the rest of your suit off. Roll it down your legs as far as you can, then side-step out of it like a little girl steps out of tights (ask your wife if you don't know this dance). 

Fun fun fun!! 
2009-06-22 6:12 PM
in reply to: #2235362

User image

Master

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been secretly contemplating entering IM CDA for 2010 -- online registration opened today and there is room. I just checked.

Pros: Can enter w/o attending IM this year. "Local" -- enough so that I don't have to fly my bike. I plan to be a stay-at-home home mom again next year, but maybe (hopefully) for not much longer; I could train while the kids are in school for the most part. I'm only 42. Next time I may have this opportunity I may be 50 or 55, and my body would feel those years, I'd imagine!

Cons: It's an IM. Long, hard training. It's an early-season race, so the weather might be crappy enough to do lots of training in rain and ick (=lots of indoor trainer rides). While I *can* train with the kids in school, the reality is that they are gone for exactly 7 hours. Long rides could take longer than that, and then I have to be "ON" for the evenings. Yes, there are weekends but I don't want to tie those up if I don't have to (and, admittedly, I wouldn't have to do TOO many long weekend training rides, I'd imagine).

Do I pull the trigger and just say why the hell not and deal with the life and training that comes? Is an IM like a kid -- you're never ready to take the plunge, but when you do, it all works out and it's worth every sacrifice???? Ack!!!

2009-06-22 6:40 PM
in reply to: #2235379

User image

Master
San Francisco
kkcbelle - 2009-06-22 4:12 PM

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been secretly contemplating entering IM CDA for 2010 -- online registration opened today and there is room. I just checked.

Pros: Can enter w/o attending IM this year. "Local" -- enough so that I don't have to fly my bike. I plan to be a stay-at-home home mom again next year, but maybe (hopefully) for not much longer; I could train while the kids are in school for the most part. I'm only 42. Next time I may have this opportunity I may be 50 or 55, and my body would feel those years, I'd imagine!

Cons: It's an IM. Long, hard training. It's an early-season race, so the weather might be crappy enough to do lots of training in rain and ick (=lots of indoor trainer rides). While I *can* train with the kids in school, the reality is that they are gone for exactly 7 hours. Long rides could take longer than that, and then I have to be "ON" for the evenings. Yes, there are weekends but I don't want to tie those up if I don't have to (and, admittedly, I wouldn't have to do TOO many long weekend training rides, I'd imagine).

Do I pull the trigger and just say why the hell not and deal with the life and training that comes? Is an IM like a kid -- you're never ready to take the plunge, but when you do, it all works out and it's worth every sacrifice???? Ack!!!

Is it worth every sacrifice?  That's too personal a decision to make depending on how much you value it and how much it costs you.  For me, my first IM was in some ways merely the icing to all the training that I put into it (the training is where all the real work is).  For many, it is lifechanging.  How did you feel after finishing your first half?  It is definitely a jump up from that (and IMs have a cachet that's all their own), but at it's core, it is similar, or at least that's how it was for me.

All that being said, Ironman will always be there for you whether you do it next year or in 10-15 years.

2009-06-22 6:54 PM
in reply to: #2235434

User image

Master
Thanks for that, Donato. When I dropped my husband off at the airport on Thursday (I shipped him off to be with his ailing dad for father's day), he told me that I already had my cake. It was all of the training I put into this goal. My race was the icing, so enjoy that, too. I *do* enjoy the training. I have always been one who is all about the journey -- I love putting in hard work and seeing what comes out the other end. I was like this when I trained for swimming too -- I loved the crazy 8K workouts and hours in the pool, and the racing was icing on the cake.

That said, you are right that the IM will be there waiting. I guess it's not a "now or never" thing. It is a life goal of mine -- I WILL do one. My HIM was a stepping stone to that -- I wanted to see how it went. I loved it, even the 3:00 trainer rides (well, OK, loved those when they were over, but not so much in the moment!).
2009-06-22 7:41 PM
in reply to: #2235470

User image

Master
San Francisco
kkcbelle - 2009-06-22 4:54 PM I loved it, even the 3:00 trainer rides (well, OK, loved those when they were over, but not so much in the moment!).

Full IMs are definitely savored more AFTER the accomplishment and often not during too.  I almost always have these WTF moments when I question why I'm doing it and that I'll never do one again.  But the discomfort is (relatively) short lived and I forget and then I sign up for the next event!

2009-06-23 1:00 AM
in reply to: #2235554

User image

Master
enginerd - 2009-06-22 7:41 PM
kkcbelle - 2009-06-22 4:54 PM I loved it, even the 3:00 trainer rides (well, OK, loved those when they were over, but not so much in the moment!).

Full IMs are definitely savored more AFTER the accomplishment and often not during too.  I almost always have these WTF moments when I question why I'm doing it and that I'll never do one again.  But the discomfort is (relatively) short lived and I forget and then I sign up for the next event!

I am so like that. In every triathlon, during the run I swear I will never do another one and wonder why I put myself through this. Same thing, sometimes, in workouts, but less so as those are a choice and you can stop any time (i.e. you did not pay someone good money for that workout). In fact, during my run yesterday, I decided that an IM did not need to be a life goal anymore and I would be complete even if I never did one. I feel differently today, of course!

Still thinking, still thinking... (fully knowing that if I take too long to decide, the decision will be made for me).
2009-06-23 8:24 AM
in reply to: #2236005

User image

Master
2009-06-23 10:03 AM
in reply to: #2234452

User image

Master
New York, NY
kkcbelle - 2009-06-22 2:32 PM

OK, gang... Jules just posted her RR. She very modestly neglected to mention that SHE WON HER AGE GROUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Holy smokes!! Nice going! I haven't even read the RR yet, cuz I got hung up on that small detail. Way to CRUSH it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations!!!!

Wow...winning your AG in you first tri!!!  Congrats!!!  That's awesome! 
2009-06-23 12:08 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
To play non-devil's advocate... you are now in good enough shape that a full year of training would put in in good position for an IM.  You can sign up without having to vollunteer or do the charity slot thing (savings of $1k) and well I will be there next year to encourage you 8).  It is also like 2 weeks later in the summer next year so better odds of better weather (6/27). 

Your long bike rides should be like 5 hours 5:30, 6:00, 6:30 only in the last 2 months before the IM.  Prior to that you are looking at a lot of 3-4 hour rides.  I doubt you will be doing anything over 6:30 and that maybe once or twice only before the IM.  So your training should fit in a school day.  Total IM weekly workouts are typically 10-15 hours up to the last 2 months where they merge on 15-20 hours. 

In the end it is up to you.  For me I felt that, man my training had gotten me 3/4 of the way to IM fitness, why not ride it out and keep going.  Build to sprint, to oly, to HIM add a marathon, another HIM build for IM.  And your family is already used to you training this much.  Don't let them acclimate to you training less 8). 

Anyway much suport whichever way you choose to go.  You could focus on speed for the HIMs, go with more intensity and lower hours before or if making the choice to go for an IM. 
2009-06-25 9:08 AM
in reply to: #2237205

User image

Master
I'M IN!!!!!

I just pulled the trigger and entered CDA 2010. Wow!! I woke up this morning and thought to myself... "You are closer now than you have ever been. If you keep hemming and hawing and go to enter and find you can't, you'll be crushed. It will never be easy and it will never be a small decision. Sieze it and run with it." So I did.

I've also made plans to run 1-2 marathons this fall. I'm going to do Portland with my bestest girlfriend -- we don't see each other very often, but last time we ran a mary together it was awesome because we ran together nearly every Saturday. So we joke that if we really want to see each other we have to enter a race. So that is 10/4. I also enjoy doing the Seattle Half each year, which is the Sunday of Thanksgiving weekend. I may hang on to the training from Portland and go for the full. We'll see how we are doing -- it's easy to talk of November marathons in June, but quite a different story once fall and winter roll around here.

So yeah... that's done.

2009-06-25 9:55 AM
in reply to: #2242051

User image

SF Bay Area, CA
kkcbelle - 2009-06-25 7:08 AM

I'M IN!!!!!

I just pulled the trigger and entered CDA 2010.

Been in a cave of late and missed all the fun... works been crazy bad and my dog the same.

Hey Kyla, congrats on your first HIM... great job. Its great you jumped full force into CDA... gotta do it while the kettle's hot. Donato called me the morning CDA registration opened to see if I wanted to signup. Half of me wanted to signup, but I thought to see how my first IM goes before I signup for my 2nd.

Jules, congrats on taking your AG on your first tri. Great stuff!

Lastly on the shoelace thing. My first HIM I hurt my foot on the run since my shoes were tied too tight. So now I just keep all my running shoes tied at the perfect tightness and I just slip the shoes on and off before each run. So at race time I just keep a shoehorn in T2... works great for me.
2009-06-25 12:21 PM
in reply to: #2242051

User image

Master
New York, NY
Wooo hoo!!!!  Congrats, and let the IM training fun begin

kkcbelle - 2009-06-25 10:08 AM I'M IN!!!!!

I just pulled the trigger and entered CDA 2010. Wow!! I woke up this morning and thought to myself... "You are closer now than you have ever been. If you keep hemming and hawing and go to enter and find you can't, you'll be crushed. It will never be easy and it will never be a small decision. Sieze it and run with it." So I did.

I've also made plans to run 1-2 marathons this fall. I'm going to do Portland with my bestest girlfriend -- we don't see each other very often, but last time we ran a mary together it was awesome because we ran together nearly every Saturday. So we joke that if we really want to see each other we have to enter a race. So that is 10/4. I also enjoy doing the Seattle Half each year, which is the Sunday of Thanksgiving weekend. I may hang on to the training from Portland and go for the full. We'll see how we are doing -- it's easy to talk of November marathons in June, but quite a different story once fall and winter roll around here.

So yeah... that's done.
2009-06-25 7:22 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Ok so summer is officially here.  Time to adjust the training a bit.  The temps are 87 F and climbing which is not so bad, but the air has lost all of its humidity.  I went on a 9 mile run today with minmal water (like 6oz) and wow I was suffering by the end.  Once I got home and got fluids in me I recovered quickly (5-10 minutes and gtg).  On my 5 hour bikeride on Saturday (temps 90+) I am gona need alot of fluids......

That Vineman heat is going to kill us isn't it?

Edited by Baowolf 2009-06-25 7:23 PM
2009-06-25 10:47 PM
in reply to: #2243835

User image

Master
Do you have places to re-fill fluids on your ride this weekend? I tell ya, I hate riding with warm liquids. Ick. I did one long ride in upper 80's/low 90's this year and totally emptied the bottles. It is amazing how much you drink! Have a fun weekend!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » enginerd's geek heaven - FULL Rss Feed  

of 27