BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 383

2009-04-21 4:44 PM
in reply to: #2071255

User image

Elite
san francisco
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN Mentor Group-Closed! TIME TO TRAIN!

My goodness, thanks everyone for the words of encouragement and some awesome tips for SIGHTING...glad that Rob and Trevor could stretch this out to include Miriam Webster's Definitions of Sit(ting),Siting(must be a word up north), and Sighting.  I just had a chance to look at all of the posts after my self pity post, thanks John, that was funny. 

When I say drifting, I absolutely don't think it is the current, because I do this all of the time!  I prefer to breathe on the right side only and on every stroke.  I think I started doing this when I first learned to swim because I was gasping for breath and it seemed to calm me down...and now it is a habit.  And maybe like Tracy, I do feel stronger breathing on every stroke. 

You guys gave some awesome tips that I will try in the pool.  Steve, thanks for the links.  Tony, look forward but underwater and then peek up for just a sec to sight?   Do it after breathing or before?  When I have tried swimming with eyes closed, I definitely hit the right hand lane line.  I think my pull is stronger on that side or because I breathe on that side it pulls me that way.  In OWS, the problem for me keeping others swimmers to my right is that I am really am pretty slow and everyone starts pulling ahead...the ones that are slow like me are zig zagging like me!!! 

Thank you guys so much for the tips and I will try to stay positive.  I am doing a pool workout tomorrow so will try a few things.  It is only April and first race is not until June. 

Chet, so sorry about your injury, it totally sucks.

2009-04-21 5:23 PM
in reply to: #2101009

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
kt65 - 2009-04-21 5:44 PM

My goodness, thanks everyone for the words of encouragement and some awesome tips for SIGHTING...glad that Rob and Trevor could stretch this out to include Miriam Webster's Definitions of Sit(ting),Siting(must be a word up north), and Sighting.  I just had a chance to look at all of the posts after my self pity post, thanks John, that was funny. 

When I say drifting, I absolutely don't think it is the current, because I do this all of the time!  I prefer to breathe on the right side only and on every stroke.  I think I started doing this when I first learned to swim because I was gasping for breath and it seemed to calm me down...and now it is a habit.  And maybe like Tracy, I do feel stronger breathing on every stroke. 

You guys gave some awesome tips that I will try in the pool.  Steve, thanks for the links.  Tony, look forward but underwater and then peek up for just a sec to sight?   Do it after breathing or before?  When I have tried swimming with eyes closed, I definitely hit the right hand lane line.  I think my pull is stronger on that side or because I breathe on that side it pulls me that way.  In OWS, the problem for me keeping others swimmers to my right is that I am really am pretty slow and everyone starts pulling ahead...the ones that are slow like me are zig zagging like me!!! 

Thank you guys so much for the tips and I will try to stay positive.  I am doing a pool workout tomorrow so will try a few things.  It is only April and first race is not until June. 

Chet, so sorry about your injury, it totally sucks.

I do it after breathing.  IMO I would try out the few different kinds of techniques and see which works for you.  I actually tried out the after breathing move to look forward today but didn't get very far.  I will try it again and see if I like it more than what I am doing now.

2009-04-21 5:31 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Thanks everyone.  I have shook off the crud.  Positive vibes, short break, hammer the bike and swim, I still have six weeks!
2009-04-21 6:07 PM
in reply to: #2100520

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
HollyW - 2009-04-21 3:15 PM

swbkrun - 2009-04-21 10:59 AM

Holly--- When you said you haven't practiced the ows - did you mean EVER, or this year?

I mean EVER.  The one Sprint race I did last year was a pool swim so I didn't worry about it...and have procrastinated ever since.  I will be able to get out at least once, maybe 2x before my race.   Thanks for posting the articles, I really wasn't sure what I was going to practice (other than just swiming) once I got out there.  If nothing else this one will prepare me for my 2nd race which will be 2 weeks later.

This poses another question.  I have 2 oly distance races 2 weeks apart.  How much training should I do in those 2 weeks? 

Good luck with your race Holly!  I have my first OWS of the year (second overall) this weekend.  My first shot at an olympic.  Good luck with your upcoming races.
2009-04-21 7:22 PM
in reply to: #2101098

User image

Champion
marietta
cbarnes1 - 2009-04-21 5:31 PM Thanks everyone.  I have shook off the crud.  Positive vibes, short break, hammer the bike and swim, I still have six weeks!

AWESOME ATTITUDE!  Keep it up Chet!
2009-04-21 8:52 PM
in reply to: #2101311

User image

Champion
Anyone heard from Izzy yet, curious to hear how the Collegiate Nationals went for him.  Reading reports on ST water was low 50's, transition was all gravel, and lots of other fun stuff.

2009-04-21 9:33 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
I was stuck on planes for 13 hours and I come back and there are pages of good dialogue to absorb. The sighting tips are great.  Last year the only thing I could do is stop, pop my head up to look around and then keep moving.  Definitely not the most efficient option. I'm going to the pool tomorrow to test closing my eyes while swimming and trying to peak while swimming.  I assume it is easier with a wetsuit to keep you buoyant???

I agree with Steve, it would be great to get a list going of who is racing when.  That way we can keep on top of it and send you the appropriate good Karma.    So far it looks like Holly, Chris and Jeremy are up this weekend. Any others?

Chet, whatever the MRI shows it is only a matter of time until we bump into each other at Boston.  Of course, you will probably be Wave I and I will still be hanging out with the Wave II back of the packers.

Walking down the stairs sideways today and probably backwards tomorrow as DOMS sets in, but hope to be more normal by the weekend. Until then, recovery is the only real thing on my work out calendar.
2009-04-22 6:52 AM
in reply to: #2101584

User image

Champion
SSMinnow - 2009-04-21 10:33 PM I was stuck on planes for 13 hours and I come back and there are pages of good dialogue to absorb. The sighting tips are great.  Last year the only thing I could do is stop, pop my head up to look around and then keep moving.  Definitely not the most efficient option. I'm going to the pool tomorrow to test closing my eyes while swimming and trying to peak while swimming.  I assume it is easier with a wetsuit to keep you buoyant???

I agree with Steve, it would be great to get a list going of who is racing when.  That way we can keep on top of it and send you the appropriate good Karma.    So far it looks like Holly, Chris and Jeremy are up this weekend. Any others?

Chet, whatever the MRI shows it is only a matter of time until we bump into each other at Boston.  Of course, you will probably be Wave I and I will still be hanging out with the Wave II back of the packers.

Walking down the stairs sideways today and probably backwards tomorrow as DOMS sets in, but hope to be more normal by the weekend. Until then, recovery is the only real thing on my work out calendar.

I like Robs alcohol suggestion, it always makes me feel better.

With the sighting I just try to not lose my momentum, that is the big thing, if you do you are always having to start over again to get going.  Wetsuit really helps because it keeps your back end buoyant.

I am racing this weekend in a super sprint 300M pool, 18mi bike, 2 mi run.  I plan on running this at 110% to see how fast I can go.  I always seem to leave too much in the tank for the end of races so I am going to try to empty the tank and then some this weekend.
2009-04-22 7:50 AM

User image

Master
Small Town
Wow Suzy, that's a long time on a plane!

Yes I have my first du this Sunday.  I'm excited.  I feel prepared and I'm trying to take it easy this week.  Yesterday I was at work, we were busy during the day time so I didn't even have time for a workout until late at night... then I was too excited to watch Rescue Me and I didn't want to miss it. 

Today is my wife's first day back at work since little Sophia was born.  That means today is my first day at home alone with both daughters for a whole day.  So far so good, but it's only been about 30 minutes.  Anna has story time at the library, so...  I'm excited.  I've got Anna dressed, that's the first big step for the day.

(Anna is 2 and a half, Sophia is 3 months)
2009-04-22 7:59 AM
in reply to: #2101995

User image

Champion
JHagerman - 2009-04-22 8:50 AM Wow Suzy, that's a long time on a plane!

Yes I have my first du this Sunday.  I'm excited.  I feel prepared and I'm trying to take it easy this week.  Yesterday I was at work, we were busy during the day time so I didn't even have time for a workout until late at night... then I was too excited to watch Rescue Me and I didn't want to miss it. 

Today is my wife's first day back at work since little Sophia was born.  That means today is my first day at home alone with both daughters for a whole day.  So far so good, but it's only been about 30 minutes.  Anna has story time at the library, so...  I'm excited.  I've got Anna dressed, that's the first big step for the day.

It is pretty easy when one isn't mobile, it's when the 3 month old gets old enough to walk/run and one goes left and the other goes right that it gets interesting.

Have fun!
2009-04-22 8:02 AM
in reply to: #2102018

User image

Master
Small Town
dalessit - 2009-04-22 8:59 AM

It is pretty easy when one isn't mobile, it's when the 3 month old gets old enough to walk/run and one goes left and the other goes right that it gets interesting.

Have fun!

That will make it more interesting!  Sophia isn't taking to the bottle so well yet, so it takes me almost an hour to feed her each time.  That's frustrating.  Anna is pretty independent though.

I love my schedule, I get to spend a LOT of time with the girls!!

2009-04-22 8:08 AM
in reply to: #2100986

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

swbkrun - 2009-04-21 5:31 PM Chet hang in there. 
My point is we are in shape, and able to bounce back from this stuff quicker than "the Norm!"  Most doctors understand, but do they?  You tell them you exercise, but what does that mean to them?  A run a couple miles a day 3 days a week?!?

I agree that we recover much more quickly than most people being in such good shape. I twisted my ankle a bit last Wednesday at kickboxing and the doc said to stay off it for a awhile. He said it could take up to two weeks to completely heal. I went out to test it on Sunday, ended up going 13K and the ankle feels just great.

2009-04-22 8:10 AM
in reply to: #2101098

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

cbarnes1 - 2009-04-21 6:31 PM Thanks everyone.  I have shook off the crud.  Positive vibes, short break, hammer the bike and swim, I still have six weeks!

Atta boy Chet. You go guy!!!!!!

2009-04-22 9:03 AM

User image

Champion
marietta
****brag alert****

yesterday i crossed the 20k yd mark swimming this month...so far.     fyi, my fat lazy a$$ had a hard time with one lap back in november.

***brag alert over****
2009-04-22 9:04 AM
in reply to: #2102028

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
JHagerman - 2009-04-22 7:02 AM
dalessit - 2009-04-22 8:59 AM

Have fun!

That will make it more interesting!  Sophia isn't taking to the bottle so well yet, so it takes me almost an hour to feed her each time.  That's frustrating.  Anna is pretty independent though.

I love my schedule, I get to spend a LOT of time with the girls!!

Dude score one for Canada here. I could not imagine my wife going back to work 3 months after our girls were born. I'm sure you kow, but up here they get a FULL YEAR on maternity leave. Get up to 66% of the salary to a max of about $45k/yr. Good luck though Jeremy!!
2009-04-22 9:10 AM

User image

Champion
marietta
Jeremy...Why are you taking pictures of yourself when driving? LOL!!!   Man, I'm glad to see someone else with three children so close in age!

Did you serve?  I did 9 as an officer in the Navy, almost all reserve.  Just got out in Feb. They paid for my undergrad  and grad so it was the least I could doLaughing

Nice shirt!!!

Foxtrot Uniform Charlie Kilo Cancer!  Lost my mom to ovarian almost 11 years ago.

Edited by fattyfatfat 2009-04-22 9:11 AM

2009-04-22 9:37 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri
Morning...  Hope everyone is having a good week so far. 
Suzy - congrats on your race Monday!  My DH asked me once, after I started running, if I was going to do the Boston marathon now.  I had to laugh - besides the fact that I have no desire to do any marathon, my 13 min/mi would never qualify me for Boston! 

Steve - Since you asked Smile, I'm running a 10k this weekend.  My main goal is to beat my time from last year (1:16:27) which I should be able to do fairly easily.  I actually have a goal time in mind although I'm not going to say what it is - I don't want to jinx myself.  But it is a reasonable goal and I think I have a pretty good shot at it. 

Jeremy - Have fun with your little girls!  You're lucky to be able to be home with them when they're little.  They grow up so fast!

I've asked my DH to look at my bike tonight and see if he can tell what's up with the rear gears.  I'm hoping that it just needs a good cleaning and lubing, but considering the age of the bike and the fact that I never really took care of it before, I'm afraid it may be more than that.  If he can't figure it out, I'll be talking to the LBS tomorrow to see what they can tell me. 

Have a good day!
Janet
2009-04-22 10:38 AM
in reply to: #2101584

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
SSMinnow - 2009-04-21 9:33 PM

Ok, this is exciting, our race list for the week is growing.  I have Holly, Chris, Jeremy, Janet and Tony.  Any others?

The goal for the five of you is to have a blast, live up to your expectations and report back to the group on your success within 1 hour of finishing!  Ok, maybe that last one is unrealistic, but the rest should be slam dunks!

Suzy
2009-04-22 10:40 AM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Janet, take it to a close bike shop and tell them you need to have the rear derailuer adjusted.  It is not shifting properly.  They take a screw driver, twist the screws, and send you on your way.  It should only take but 10 minutes at the most.  Unless of course your derailuer is bent, or your chain is stretched and needs replacing (although this only takes a second as well)....

John- Very nicely done swimming that is great!  I am jealous!

Me-- Need help.  I ran to work this morning, and I felt like my form was so wrong (although I am not sure I know what right is?!- This is where you come in).  I felt like I was drunk or something. I couldn't run "normal."  I don't know if it was because I was still sleeping?  I mean I rolled out of bed and was on the road within' 10 minutes?  No food, or anything to get me started?  I finally settled in, and felt my best from my 7- the end....
2009-04-22 10:42 AM
in reply to: #2102256

User image

Master
Small Town
fattyfatfat - 2009-04-22 10:10 AM Jeremy...Why are you taking pictures of yourself when driving? LOL!!!   Man, I'm glad to see someone else with three children so close in age!

Did you serve?  I did 9 as an officer in the Navy, almost all reserve.  Just got out in Feb. They paid for my undergrad  and grad so it was the least I could doLaughing

Nice shirt!!!

Foxtrot Uniform Charlie Kilo Cancer!  Lost my mom to ovarian almost 11 years ago.

Haha, no good excuse for taking pictures of myself while driving...

I did not serve in the military.  My grandfather was a drill Sargent during WW11.  4 of my uncles were in the Army for either Korea or Vietnam.  MY brother was in the Navy and my wife was a first LT in the Army for 9 years.  I have a high grade of respect for those who serve!

The F.U.C.K. Cancer shirt - my mother died last year from brain cancer at the age of 49.  That shirt sums up my sentiments about cancer.  The picture was taken at the American Cancer Society's 24 hour awareness walk. 
2009-04-22 11:01 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
John,  great job on that swim. Brag away.

Steve, do you have a head cold or possible ear infection that might throw off your balance?  Or maybe it was your body revolting to having to run farther than before to get to work.

I am off to the orthopedics to have my foot checked out.  I'll check back in later.

Edited by tahrens 2009-04-22 11:09 AM

2009-04-22 11:05 AM
in reply to: #2102216

User image

Regular
Seymour, IN
fattyfatfat - 2009-04-22 10:03 AM ****brag alert****

yesterday i crossed the 20k yd mark swimming this month...so far.     fyi, my fat lazy a$$ had a hard time with one lap back in november.

***brag alert over****

That's awesome. 
I intend to start swimming the week after the mini (may 2) and you story really has me pumped for it.  Thanks.
2009-04-22 11:24 AM

User image

Pro
Tracy--- 1st off GOOD LUCK w/ the foot and keep us posted.  Hope for just an inflamation!  That's it!  2nd- It wasn't the distance that got me.  This was a really comfortable pace for me, but I think I am/was just tired.  I have logged almost 32 hours of training so far this month with only 2 rest days.  I think I was just not ready to get moving.  I feel much better now!  Ready to hit the pool in a couple hours, and the rock wall tonight!  Tomorrow though... NADA, NOTHING, ZILCH, ZERO!!!  A rest day it is!!
2009-04-22 11:31 AM
in reply to: #2102670

User image

Champion
swbkrun - 2009-04-22 12:24 PM Tracy--- 1st off GOOD LUCK w/ the foot and keep us posted.  Hope for just an inflamation!  That's it!  2nd- It wasn't the distance that got me.  This was a really comfortable pace for me, but I think I am/was just tired.  I have logged almost 32 hours of training so far this month with only 2 rest days.  I think I was just not ready to get moving.  I feel much better now!  Ready to hit the pool in a couple hours, and the rock wall tonight!  Tomorrow though... NADA, NOTHING, ZILCH, ZERO!!!  A rest day it is!!

Yeah it's 12:30 and I still have a 60 minute 2900M swim, and a 75 minute ride, dragging a$$ at the moment, would like to take a nap.
2009-04-22 11:47 AM
in reply to: #2102685

User image

Pro
dalessit - 2009-04-22 9:31 AM
swbkrun - 2009-04-22 12:24 PM Tracy--- 1st off GOOD LUCK w/ the foot and keep us posted.  Hope for just an inflamation!  That's it!  2nd- It wasn't the distance that got me.  This was a really comfortable pace for me, but I think I am/was just tired.  I have logged almost 32 hours of training so far this month with only 2 rest days.  I think I was just not ready to get moving.  I feel much better now!  Ready to hit the pool in a couple hours, and the rock wall tonight!  Tomorrow though... NADA, NOTHING, ZILCH, ZERO!!!  A rest day it is!!

Yeah it's 12:30 and I still have a 60 minute 2900M swim, and a 75 minute ride, dragging a$$ at the moment, would like to take a nap.

Hey!!!  Remember there is no DRAGGING ARSE UNTIL YOU ARE DONE WITH YOUR WORKOUT!!! NOW GET OUT THERE PLEASE!  We will all check your logs later to make sure you did what you said you were supposed to do...
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  

of 383