BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri Mark's Madness Group-Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 30

2011-04-26 10:27 PM
in reply to: #3467583

Veteran
Subject: RE: Tri Mark's Madness Group-Closed

Actually I am from the Twin Cities originally and am going back to visit family.  We are only going to Chisago to check out the sprint triathlon route and to see how weedy the lake is...if the ice is melted, that is....Laughing

Are you looking for things to do in Chisago or will you be spending any time in the Twin Cities, which are about 35 minutes away?

Threejs - 2011-04-26 2:50 PM I am headed to MN this weekend and part of the trip is to scope out the Chisago Lakes tri route. I pulled the maps off the internet and we are planning to drive the routes since it is a busy weekend. Any pointers on what I should look for when I am there?  This is the only time I will be in MN before race date.

2011-04-26 10:34 PM
in reply to: #3467829

Veteran
ewengler - 2011-04-26 6:15 PM

Threejs - 2011-04-26 2:50 PM I am headed to MN this weekend and part of the trip is to scope out the Chisago Lakes tri route. I pulled the maps off the internet and we are planning to drive the routes since it is a busy weekend. Any pointers on what I should look for when I am there?  This is the only time I will be in MN before race date.

I am doing Chisago too--the sprint. Never done it before but friends have done both sprint and HIM. I'm not sure what I'd say to look out for but driving the bike course is a good idea. I don't know if they marked the transition on the maps but it might help to get an idea of how that might work because people have complained about the tightness of them--obviously there's nothing there now, but visiting the site might give you a sense.  People say the swim is a bear because of the huge numbers of people who do this race --it's a real washing machine. That's what I know.

That is great information, thanks!  I am planning to do the sprint also.  Since I have never done a triathlon before, I was actually going to watch a local tri to check out live transitions since I am such a newby I have no idea and can't visualize what is really involved.  The swim is the part that I am most worried about so I feel like I really need to see the lake.

2011-04-26 10:37 PM
in reply to: #3467828

Veteran

My daughter asked me why my arm doesn't jiggle anymore!!  Too funny. 

LOL!  I love your daughter's comment!  Hands down the best compliment ever!!

2011-04-27 6:45 AM
in reply to: #3466111

User image

Beth,

I missed this one earlier.  If you want to do a half marathon this season, I really think you should try some track work.  The thing about track workouts is that they are not just sprints.  You incorporate them into a 60-75 minute workout.  You warm up for 10 to 15 minutes, do your track session, then run out the rest of the time.  They will help you become not just faster, but more efficient at any distance.  That is the key.  Even AG Ironman athletes benefit by doing track work.  You recruit more muscle by changing the intensity.  If you just run longer, you need MASSIVE amounts of time to enhance your body's muscles.  By changing the stress to higher intensity once a week, you get immediate gains.  You have to stress the muscles to improve them.  Specific stress followed by specific rest/recovery.  So you can keep trying to go longer and longer, or you can go long one day, medium once or twice a week, and fast/hard one day a week with medium distance.  During a track workout I still get 6-8 miles in, sometimes more if my rest intervals are all jogging not walking.  I hate to walk them, so usually half jog, half walk, but you do what you have to when you're going all out.  It's most important to maintain your intensity on the work intervals, so if it takes walking to be recovered so you can go fast AND maintain form, then so be it. 

Next thing you know, you'll be tackling 70.3 races!

2011-04-27 8:16 AM
in reply to: #3467873

User image

Thx for any Chi info - My husbands name is Matthew Usher, he is a F.O. on the Airbus - it's a small company, they might know each other.  I am sticking to the plan - I am assuming because I am putting in all the base hours for the 16 week plan plus an extra month that I will finish the race.  The swim video is good - I am going to try some of that stuff today, but I do feel that is my weakest spot.    Good day all - kimberly
2011-04-27 3:06 PM
in reply to: #3454914

User image

Veteran
Minneapolis
Subject: RE: Let's talk transition

Tel,

Thanks again for the suggestions on prescription goggles. Mine arrived today! I ended up selecting the prescription for my weaker eye because after much deliberation I decided I would be better off with one clear eye & one weak eye, as opposed to one clear eye and one overly strong eye - I thought that might throw my balance off. I won't know for sure how good the fit is until I test them swimming tomorrow, but they seem comfy and I can definitely see better *with* them than with my non-prescription goggles, so I'm excited! I truly hope they don't leak - I've had problems finding goggles that fit properly in the past, but I seem to hav elucked out with these as the eye cups are really cushiony and seem to fit snugly. Cross yr fingers for me!

TElenor - 2011-04-19 12:28 PM
QueerDrummer - 2011-04-18 11:11 AM

Wow, that sounds great! I'll call my eye doctor today and try to get my prescription - I do know I have a significant difference between eyes but even if one eye was right and the other was fuzzier I bet it would be an improvement!

Thanks!

QD- You'll have to let me know how it goes!  I feel like I lucked out with how well these goggles work for me, and hopefully they'll do just as well for you!

-Tel

2011-04-27 6:30 PM
in reply to: #3467840

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-04-28 12:09 AM
in reply to: #3286171

New user
Santa Rosa, Ca

Hey all, some random questions! Get to know eachother a bit better!

1.) What kind of bike do you ride?

2.) Are you confident in changing your bikes tire?

3.) Have you ever done an open water swim?

4.) Do you breath bilaterally or to one side?

5.) How long have you been involved in endurance sports (running, biking, swimming, etc)

6.) Who's your favorite triathlete? (maybe you done even know one , thats totally cool too! )

7.) Favorite Nutrition Suppliment you use?

Edited by linfieldpt 2011-04-28 12:10 AM
2011-04-28 12:15 AM
in reply to: #3470470

New user
Santa Rosa, Ca
linfieldpt - 2011-04-27 10:09 PM

2005 trek 1200 road bike

yes, but for my first tri season i was not.  I suggest everyone practices this on both front and rear tire!

yes. on race day and for fun

i try to. i think im good to both sides, but during races i usually only breathe to right

5.) How long have you been involved in endurance sports (running, biking, swimming, etc)

1.5 years (first tri was in sept 2009)

6.) Who's your favorite triathlete? (maybe you done even know one , thats totally cool too! )

Chris Lieto love his attitude and work ethic. Mekenzie Madison she won the first race i ever entered!

Gu chocolate outrage!

2011-04-28 6:37 AM

linfieldpt - 2011-04-28 12:09 AM

Cerverlo P2C-2011, with Dura Ace 54/39 crank and the rest of the components are Ultegra

Yes.  Your advice to practice this is really good.  I am making my wife maintain her own bike now, including practice tire changes.

Yes, all my tris have been open water, and there are two locations within an hour (plus Lake Michigan) to practice.  Starting late May I do at least one open water 1.2 mile swim session per week.

I can do bilateral, but it's not pretty.

I've done endurance sports (marathons) since 2001.  Ultra Endurance (70.3 and 140.6) since last year.

I dig Chrissie Wellington.  She's simply incredible.

For Gels, it's Power Gels.  For Ultra distance drink suplements, it's Cytomax.

2011-04-28 7:21 AM
in reply to: #3468294

Regular
Minnesota
mwp1054 - 2011-04-27 6:45 AM

Next thing you know, you'll be tackling 70.3 races!

Of course, that is the ultimate plan! 

Thanks for your explanation of how to do speedwork/ track workouts. I will do it. I've taken your suggestions about how to do speedwork in the pool using the clock, 10 x 50 on the 1:15. It's fun and I can tell I'm working (and that I'm ready to do them on the 1:10 next time.) Really helpful to know how to do these workouts for the level I'm at and how to challenge myself and know when move to the next level. Thanks Mark!

2011-04-28 7:45 AM

Master
Raleigh, NC area
linfieldpt - 2011-04-28 1:09 AM

Thanks for getting this conversation started!

Road : Trek Madone 5.0

Tri:  Felt B16

Not really.  I can though.

Yes.  It scares me to do one without my safety blanket though.  Yeah, I really really feel a lot better with the wetsuit on.

Yes.  I breath to one side but I can do it on either side.  I do on set breathing to the right, the next set to the left and so on.

About six years.  I ran cross country in high school and college and then didn't do much activity wise for nearly 20 years.  About seven years ago I got into cycling.  I got more serious about it about six years ago when I did my first MS150.  I added running about two years ago and did my first half marathon at Disney in January 2010.  I took some swim lessons that a few years ago and started that as well.  My first tri was just over a year ago.

Jordan Rapp

7.) Favorite Nutrition Supplement you use?

Fig newtons and White Chocolate Macadamia Clif bars
2011-04-28 8:00 AM
in reply to: #3470584

Regular
Minnesota
mwp1054 - 2011-04-28 6:37 AM

New this year: Kestrel Talon Tri bike with ultegra components and Zipp wheels (my partner is a bike nut and I am the beneficiary of his knowledge and largesse!)  This should be fun! But, I still love my trusty Lemond road bike/105/ultegra which serves me well.

Yes.  I printed off step-by-step directions from the internet and sat on the floor of the garage and worked through it myself. A friend just showed me how to change tubulars too--much easier than the clinchers! Stretch it out in advance, fold it back up and wrap the tire with a bit of electrical tape along with a CO2 cartridge and put it in your on-board box or just strapped to the seat post. There is enough glue left on the old tire for a quick fix on the go. A lever is useful if there's a lot of glue on the old tire, but if its flat you probably won't need it.

I love open water swims on a local lake with my tri buddies early in the morning. When the ice is finally off it!

I've been practicing bi-lateral since last year but breathe to the right in tris.

I started competing about a year ago, though I've been training with friends who race for some years. Finally let go of the fears to compete (or more accurately: I participate intensely.) After I did my first duathlon I was hooked and started participating in triathlons and some 5ks and 10Ks. Too much fun--why did I wait!!

Pam Stevens, a great athlete and human being. She was this year's Minnesota Multisports Grand Master of the Year, USAT ranked #35 in the nation in her AG, and she generously shares her knowledge and encouragement with everyone she meets.  And I love Chrissie too!

Fig newtons, chocolate milk, and Gatorade Fierce Grape flavor, but the latter gets expensive because its liquid only. I'm in the market for a new sports drink so I'll be interested in other's responses.

Thanks, Barrett, for asking these great questions!

2011-04-28 8:21 AM

Ooh fun

I have a Cannondale six road bike ... and that's what I know about that. I'm a biking newbie for sure.

Nope. So far my only flat was after a race so I dropped it off in the shop to change it. But on that same trip I picked up all the tire changing equipment so when the challenge arrives I'll give it a try.

Yes. All my races are open water and I am now practicing every weekend open water too. I guess it's an advantage of being in the almost tropics that it's almost easier for me to get to the beach than to a pool. Almost.

I am trying to always breath bilaterally but I definitely have a weak side.

I ran my first marathon in 2001.

Chrissie Wellington

7.) Favorite Nutrition Suppliment you use? Gu Plain

2011-04-28 8:46 AM
in reply to: #3286171

Regular

Good Idea~

Trek Skye

Klein Aeolus

In the market for a new ride

Ahh, so, so.

Nope. On the to-do list for May

Always Bi-lat. Just as I hear some people struggle with bi-lat, I have a hard time breathing any other way.

I had a rapid immersion into sprints/half marathons in 2009-2010, and have been out of all endurance sports until recently

Chrissy W

Choc. Milk I'll probably go back to cytomax when I get into longer distances again

2011-04-28 10:49 AM
in reply to: #3469705

CO
QueerDrummer - 2011-04-27 4:06 PM

Tel,

Thanks again for the suggestions on prescription goggles. Mine arrived today! I ended up selecting the prescription for my weaker eye because after much deliberation I decided I would be better off with one clear eye & one weak eye, as opposed to one clear eye and one overly strong eye - I thought that might throw my balance off. I won't know for sure how good the fit is until I test them swimming tomorrow, but they seem comfy and I can definitely see better *with* them than with my non-prescription goggles, so I'm excited! I truly hope they don't leak - I've had problems finding goggles that fit properly in the past, but I seem to hav elucked out with these as the eye cups are really cushiony and seem to fit snugly. Cross yr fingers for me!

Exciting!  You know, I was just wondering today during my swim whether you decided to go for the goggles.  I hope that they worked great for you in the pool!

-Tel

2011-04-28 10:57 AM
in reply to: #3471229

Veteran
Minneapolis

Tel, they are great!!! I totally owe you for making this suggestion. Turns out several folks in my Masters class use Rx goggles too, but I had no idea and didn't know about them until you mentioned it. The fit is good, they don't leak, comfy & no fogging! And I can read the clock! Still had to put my glasses on to read the workout board a few times, but all in all I feel tons better about the race!

TElenor - 2011-04-28 10:49 AM
QueerDrummer - 2011-04-27 4:06 PM

Exciting!  You know, I was just wondering today during my swim whether you decided to go for the goggles.  I hope that they worked great for you in the pool!

-Tel

2011-04-28 11:04 AM

CO

Felt cross bike, for all my tri, road, and cyclocross biking needs!  Not the best for triathlons, but I figured I'd get a few more races under my belt before considering anything else.

Had to change one mid-ride yesterday, so pretty much yes.  However I'm slow and I'm always afraid that I'll pinch the new tube and have to change it a second time, so I still need practice...

A few.  One race, and some for fun.

Bilaterally, unless I'm gasping for air.  Then I mostly gasp on the right.

I swam and ran through middle school and high school, but was always a sprinter and a hurdler.  Biking I picked up about 5 years ago.  I've been doing more endurance-oriented exercise for the last 6 years or so.

I don't have one yet...hmm....

I really like raspberry shot bloks.

2011-04-28 11:07 AM

Veteran
Minneapolis

1.) What kind of bike do you ride? For the race I'm riding a Schwinn Varsity 14-speed that I obtained for free. I customized the pedals & seat & will probably continue to customize other components in the future. My favorite is still the beautiful single-speed that I built up from scratch last year, but hard to use it for a race of course.)

2.) Are you confident in changing your bikes tire? I can do it, but I'm really slow, so no, not particularly confident.

3.) Have you ever done an open water swim? Nope, good thing my first race is a pool swim.

4.) Do you breath bilaterally or to one side? Bilateral, every 3rd stroke. Right is definitely my dominant side though.

5.) How long have you been involved in endurance sports (running, biking, swimming, etc) I just started running last year. May 7th is my first triathlon. Other than that, I've only been biking & swimming recreationally and most of my life.

6.) Who's your favorite triathlete? (maybe you done even know one , thats totally cool too! ) Don't know of any in particular. I'm sure that will change.

7.) Favorite Nutrition Suppliment you use? Not sure that I have a favorite, but as far as what supplements I use, I like Puritan's Pride Soy Isolate Protein powder. For recovery I use either Lite Chocolate Silk soy milk or a variation on a homemade Orange Juice/fruit/protein powder smoothie, and during long workouts I've been drinking Market Pantry (from Target) Lemon Lime Sport Drink mix. I'm not crazy about it or anything, but it's cheap and seems to do the trick. I'll have it in my water bottle for the Sprint.  

Edited by QueerDrummer 2011-04-28 11:08 AM

(SchwinnVarsity.jpg)

(singlespeed1.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
SchwinnVarsity.jpg (76KB - 8 downloads)
singlespeed1.JPG (93KB - 10 downloads)
2011-04-28 11:08 AM
in reply to: #3471253

CO
QueerDrummer - 2011-04-28 11:57 AM

Tel, they are great!!! I totally owe you for making this suggestion. Turns out several folks in my Masters class use Rx goggles too, but I had no idea and didn't know about them until you mentioned it. The fit is good, they don't leak, comfy & no fogging! And I can read the clock! Still had to put my glasses on to read the workout board a few times, but all in all I feel tons better about the race!

QD- That's just what I was hoping to hear!  That just about makes my day!

-Tel-

2011-04-28 11:37 AM

Veteran

1.) What kind of bike do you ride? 1985 Raleigh Technium bright teal and pink...vintage

2.) Are you confident in changing your bikes tire? No, but my son is a master at it and promises to teach me.

3.) Have you ever done an open water swim? Nope, does body surfing count?

4.) Do you breath bilaterally or to one side? Still haven't mastered that.  My dog paddle looks pretty good though.

5.) How long have you been involved in endurance sports (running, biking, swimming, etc) Just started. First race in July.

6.) Who's your favorite triathlete? (maybe you done even know one , thats totally cool too! ) Ummm...Paula Newby Fraiser comes to mind as an awesome athlete.

7.) Favorite Nutrition Suppliment you use? Right now, zone protein bars. Have some protein powder that I still need to try.

2011-04-28 11:40 AM
in reply to: #3471285

Veteran

My very first bike was a Schwinn...fire engine red one speed girls bike.  Santa brought it....still my favorite!

QueerDrummer - 2011-04-28 9:07 AM

1.) What kind of bike do you ride? For the race I'm riding a Schwinn Varsity 14-speed that I obtained for free. I customized the pedals & seat & will probably continue to customize other components in the future. My favorite is still the beautiful single-speed that I built up from scratch last year, but hard to use it for a race of course.)

2011-04-28 12:25 PM
in reply to: #3471382

Veteran
Minneapolis

My very first bike was a girls' single speed Schwinn as well, although blue! LOL It was the same bike my 2 older sisters learned on and I think I rode it until I was 6. I remember the year I got my first geared bike - it was a red 3-speed but I don't remember what brand. Sadly my racing Schwinn can hardly be considered a Schwinn because apparently the company has been sold & re-sold so many times and this particular bike is only sold at Walmart. Weird, right? But it's decent regardless, and it was free!

Threejs - 2011-04-28 11:40 AM

My very first bike was a Schwinn...fire engine red one speed girls bike.  Santa brought it....still my favorite!

QueerDrummer - 2011-04-28 9:07 AM

2011-04-28 1:11 PM

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho

In January I bought a new Felt S22 w/Ultegra components.

No - I've watched some videos but need hands-on practice. 

No - I've spent a lot of time playing in area lakes, it won't freak me out, but I need experience - I live next to a little mountain lake, the ice melted a few weeks ago - should be able to swim in it soon.

I prefer to breath bilaterally every third stroke, but after about 200 yards I go to left side every other stroke - the turns in the pool seem to mess up my rhythm - hoping I'll be able to hold bilat longer when I get in open water. 

Started training last winter for my first tri in June.  Ran track distances and a marathon in high school - but that was more than 30 years ago.

Andy Potts - watched him win his first Ironman here in Coeur d'Alene last year - seeing him rolling around on the ground at the finish line with his little boy - you could tell he was a good Dad.

Haven't used them much, but I really like GU Espresso Love.

2011-04-28 5:26 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri Mark's Madness Group-Closed Rss Feed  

of 30