BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 298

2011-04-13 12:19 AM
in reply to: #3442544

User image

Expert
Noosa
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN drinking tiger blood and closed
Techdiver - 2011-04-13 4:00 AM

Ok bit of an update. I managed to get in for a Gait review here in the city I work in. Spent an hour there and brought my running shoes to work with me just incase I got in. I went through a series of tests etc and before they talked to me about what my gait and foot style was the guy was a runner and asked me what I was running in. I told him Asics GT-2160 and I bought a pair of Saucony Pro Grid 9 that I wore for 5K and never put on again because they didn't feel right. He asked if my 2160s felt right. I told sort of but not really and I was fitted at a well known running store chain.

Too bad you didn't bring your shoes with you. AHHH But I did. Ok go get them and if I am right I am going to see a wear pattern on those shoes. So I brought them in set them on the floor. He talked to me and said before I start if we are right these shoes will have excessive wear on the outside edges. I already knew that. He picked them up and confirmed.

So I am a bit pigeon toed, I Supinate with my left foot and slightly supinate almost neutral with my right foot and I have straight legs and a flat foot with tight not so flexible ankles when I squat to the bottom my heels lift of the floor. He also told me to stop trying to change my gait at this point. Just get in the right shoe and run how it feels natrual.

He then commment that he was suprised I have not hurt myself or caused an issue with my knees to this point. I pointed out that is why I was there. So he went on to explain I have been running on the outside edge of my shoes. Not allowing my supinating right foot to land properly is probably twisting my tibia and causing the issue with my Patella tendon. Along with my weak core, he felt that the wrong shoes were contributing. Oh and my shoes were also 1 size to big. He then suggested a store to go to. I drove 30 mins over there, brought them my info.

I now own a pair of Mizuno Wave Rider 14. It was those or the Ascics Landreth I was choosing between. I ran in both and can say for the first time in running, I could actually feel my midsole striking the ground, well I could feel the contact more then the strike the shoes were a bit more cushiony then I am used to. Man Canadian prices on shoes suck. $174 later.  Who cares if you need something and the customer service was there.

Anyways. I am busy for a few days but can't wait to try running in them on Wed for an easy run when I take my sister in law out for her second week of learning to run.

That's great Chris! My legs are very sensitive to the wrong shoes, I flared up my ITBS just jogging outside the running store once when trying some different shoes!

Running shoes are hugely expensive here in Australia too so I buy them online form a UK store: Wiggle.co.uk

My Brooks Trance shoes are $270 here but cost me $135 including delivery from wiggle!

2011-04-13 12:35 AM
in reply to: #3443120

User image

Regular
SoccerGK - 2011-04-12 3:35 PM

Some icky news for the day:  Ryan has been having some issues with his foot lately, so his runs have been touch and go.  It happened a few weeks ago, and it's not gotten any better, so he took some time off.  This morning was his first run in a while, and it hurt just as bad as ever.  Long story short, he decided to call off the Green Bay Marathon, too.  Bummer that BOTH of us have injuries right now that bagged our first race of the season.

Now we have to get doctors' notes to cancel our hotel room.  Yuck.

Kyla - You're a trooper!  Keep up the positive attitude!  It's contagious!

Hope everything gets better w/his foot.  Hopefully you guys will come back stronger than ever.

Edited by eurasn1 2011-04-13 12:36 AM
2011-04-13 12:39 AM
in reply to: #3434069

User image

Expert
Noosa

Still got a horrible head cold but managed to get myself out for a 55k bike ride at 5am this morning.

Glad I did it, I don't want to miss any workouts this close to my first Oly.

And here's a couple of pics of where I rode today:

Edited by copa2251 2011-04-13 12:55 AM
2011-04-13 5:11 AM
in reply to: #3443657

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
copa2251 - 2011-04-13 12:39 AM

Still got a horrible head cold but managed to get myself out for a 55k bike ride at 5am this morning.

Glad I did it, I don't want to miss any workouts this close to my first Oly.

And here's a couple of pics of where I rode today:

Cool!  I love that!  I am jealous.

2011-04-13 5:25 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

I'm EXCITED because I know at least one person has the race of her life this weekend (well Monday!), who else is toeing the line?  Spill your strategy!

2011-04-13 6:22 AM
in reply to: #3443696

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
SSMinnow - 2011-04-13 5:25 AM

I'm EXCITED because I know at least one person has the race of her life this weekend (well Monday!), who else is toeing the line?  Spill your strategy!

Me, me, me, a thousand times ME!  Half marathon, strategy in the works, probably pretty similar to my 20K last weekend.  The highlight will be the sleet and snow that is to accompany the day!

2011-04-13 6:30 AM

User image

Champion
marietta

good luck racing peeps!   monday is a cool day on the mg because we get to watch one of us race from work. 

speaking of racing,  not sure if you lone star people heard about the race last weekend.  someone tossed 100's of brass tacks out on the road down by the bridge close to the turnaround.  there were tons of flats and some dnf's because of it.  apparently there were some pretty bad wrecks to, not sure if it was due to the tacks. 

2011-04-13 6:49 AM
in reply to: #3443739

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
fattyfatfat - 2011-04-13 6:30 AM

good luck racing peeps!   monday is a cool day on the mg because we get to watch one of us race from work. 

speaking of racing,  not sure if you lone star people heard about the race last weekend.  someone tossed 100's of brass tacks out on the road down by the bridge close to the turnaround.  there were tons of flats and some dnf's because of it.  apparently there were some pretty bad wrecks to, not sure if it was due to the tacks. 

Lovely.  That happened up around here last summer during a bike race.  Just what a peloton needs at high speed.

I really wish driver and bikers could learn to get along.  And it's definitely a two way street.

2011-04-13 6:52 AM

User image

Expert
metro west, MA

I'm hoping the fact that ya'll ignoring my post isn't a sign that I should head for the highway.  So I'm posting a bio and an update...

Name: Christina, 37

Story: Been active all my life up until I got married, moved to the burbs and had kids.  Now that they are getting more self sufficient I needed to get myself back into gear.  I set myself some goals of a half marathon and a sprint tri last yr.  This yr I'm doing 2 half marathons, an Olympic and a half ironman.

Family Status: Married with 2 kids.

Races:Next race is in June which everlong is going to be doing as well (Ashland Olympic). Then its all about Timberman in August and finishing off the fall with the Wine and DIne HM down at WDW on Oct.

Long Term Goals: An ironman before i'm 40.

Update on my MIA self: When I was down in DC just after brunch with Sam, Tony, and Erica I pulled my back out.  I tried continueing with training but it got too much.  Then, three days after we got home my husband got laid off.  That caused a LOT of changes, one of which was home internet access.  Anyway...my back is somewhat better.  And with the break it appearsmy issue of blood in my urine is gone.  But time will tell.

No races for me.  Good luck to everyone racing.  Looking forward to watching Kim on Monday.  I'll be on course around mi 18.5 (corner of Comm and Chestnut).

Edited by mighty mom 2011-04-13 6:58 AM
2011-04-13 6:54 AM

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia

#3 in my 5k series.  My strategy is to run fast so I can get my ice cream from Cold Stone at the end.  The kids and Tony are camping out there while I run then we are driving south to spend the night at Grandma's.  She is closer to Tony's race on Sat.

And I got the ok from my coach to do the 50K.  I'm going to go run part of the course on Sunday to make sure it still sounds like a good idea.  :-)

2011-04-13 6:54 AM
in reply to: #3443730

User image

Expert
Noosa
SSMinnow - 2011-04-13 9:22 PM

Me, me, me, a thousand times ME!  Half marathon, strategy in the works, probably pretty similar to my 20K last weekend.  The highlight will be the sleet and snow that is to accompany the day!

Good luck Suzy!!!

Which race is it?? What time are you hoping for?

2011-04-13 7:36 AM

User image

Master
Tosa, WI

No racing here.... & Good luck to all you racing PEEPS this weekend and Monday! 

REPRESENT!!!! 

2011-04-13 7:37 AM
in reply to: #3443134

User image

Chatham Ontario

SSMinnow - 2011-04-12 5:46 PM Spanky--really happy to hear you were able to get into see a PT.  He sounds like he knows his stuff and gave you some good advice.  Did he say whether being a supinator would affect your biking at all?  meaning do you need a wedge? or insert in your shoes?

No he didn't say anything about a wedge in the shoe for riding. I don't think he has much background in riding. He is just a runner and a golfer. Although this is another good thought to consider. I booked a bike fit for my new tri bike but they cancelled on me twice now and are telling me they won't do weekends now that it is summer time.  I can't afford to miss a day of work right now in my busy season to go for a bike fit.

I work in the auto industry and we are busy launching new equipement and new lines for 2012 model year vehicles. It would probably be a career limiting move for me to go get a bike fit through the week...HAHAHA...  But then again it would give me the summer off to train..hmmmm. Wonder if my wife would support that?????

2011-04-13 7:39 AM

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
SSMinnow - 2011-04-13 6:25 AM

LOL, nothing like 0 -100 in a weekend.

Saturday Rumpass in Bumpass (yes that's the name of the town)  Olympic

Sunday Carl Dolan Criterium (8:00am start, hour drive)

Have my strategy for Saturday and Sunday's is to hang out in the pack and get a check-mark for another race start.

2011-04-13 7:51 AM
in reply to: #3443845

User image

Master
Tosa, WI
dalessit - 2011-04-13 7:39 AM

Have my strategy for Saturday and Sunday's is to hang out in the pack and get a check-mark for another race start.

Oh,  do tell Tony..... do tell!  

2011-04-13 7:56 AM
in reply to: #3443868

User image

Champion
badgerintx - 2011-04-13 8:51 AM
dalessit - 2011-04-13 7:39 AM

Oh,  do tell Tony..... do tell!  

Here's the plan, I'm not expecting much as I really haven't been focusing on tri's yet but should be fun.

Swim: Go out hard and settle into a strong pace.

Bike: Target 220-240w AP. Keep sustained climbs under 280w. Burst up rollers if you can maintain momentum, regardless of power.

Run: Get into your rhythm as soon as you can and turn off your brain.

2011-04-13 8:21 AM

User image

Expert
Torrential downpours along with high winds, thunder and lightening in MA today so I did an inside brick consisting of a 75 minute spin class and 3.1 miles in zone 2 on the treadmill after. The guy who teaches spin on Wednesdays is a very experience cyclist and triathlete so his workouts are awesome. Today was a heavy hill day so the legs are certainly beat up after that.
2011-04-13 8:28 AM

User image

Elite
san francisco
SSMinnow - 2011-04-13 3:25 AM

Well, gosh when you put it that way, NO PRESSURE!!!! 

Yes, I am running the holy grail of marathons on Monday and I am so honored to be toeing that line.  I will be in Wave 2, Corral 2, bib #10300.  10,300 of 27,000! 

My strategy is to stick to my pace and not get caught up in the excitement of race day and the crowds that will surely add to the adrenaline factor.  I did that (went out like a charging bull) at my qualifying marathon and the last few miles were not pretty.  I know I can run at 7:40 pace, I have done that on a few long runs in training, but 7:30-7:35 for 26.2 will be the challenge.  So, if you guys see my half mary split at less than 1:38, you can start worrying about me!  And give me crap for it after the race.  And if 7:30's are not working out, I will adjust as needed!  It will be a fun day no matter what!

Those Newton hills have put a bit of fear in me, so we'll see how much I slow down, I am hoping to only lose a few minutes there but 5 miles of hills sounds like a huge challenge.  Hopefully I will see Christina (welcome back!) for a lift at mile 18.5!  I will be thinking of our Terps Linda who couldn't make the trip out and something she said in her race report when I hit the top of the last hill.  Will miss you Linda!

We are flying out on a red eye Friday night, will go over to the bib pick up after grabbing a bite and then hopefully crash out if they'll let us in the room. 

I have thought alot about what this race means to me and will say that I would never even be at the starting line without the support and encouragement of this group.  The one thing I am sad about is that my Mom and Dad can't come out due to my Dad's health, but Kathy will update them and they will be watching the leaders on the television.

Oops, sun is out and i have one last track workout.  i hope to make you guys proud out there.  thanks twin!

Good luck to everyone else racing!

2011-04-13 8:35 AM

User image

Master
Maryland
Kim, you will have a great time and run well no doubt! Then newton hills are not bad and you are well prepared! You will rock it!!
2011-04-13 8:37 AM
in reply to: #3443760

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
mighty mom - 2011-04-13 5:52 AM

I'm hoping the fact that ya'll ignoring my post isn't a sign that I should head for the highway.  So I'm posting a bio and an update...

Name: Christina, 37

Story: Been active all my life up until I got married, moved to the burbs and had kids.  Now that they are getting more self sufficient I needed to get myself back into gear.  I set myself some goals of a half marathon and a sprint tri last yr.  This yr I'm doing 2 half marathons, an Olympic and a half ironman.

Family Status: Married with 2 kids.

Races:Next race is in June which everlong is going to be doing as well (Ashland Olympic). Then its all about Timberman in August and finishing off the fall with the Wine and DIne HM down at WDW on Oct.

Long Term Goals: An ironman before i'm 40.

Update on my MIA self: When I was down in DC just after brunch with Sam, Tony, and Erica I pulled my back out.  I tried continueing with training but it got too much.  Then, three days after we got home my husband got laid off.  That caused a LOT of changes, one of which was home internet access.  Anyway...my back is somewhat better.  And with the break it appearsmy issue of blood in my urine is gone.  But time will tell.

No races for me.  Good luck to everyone racing.  Looking forward to watching Kim on Monday.  I'll be on course around mi 18.5 (corner of Comm and Chestnut).

Hey Christina good to see you back. Hopefully you are getting all healed up and ready to rock again!

2011-04-13 8:39 AM
in reply to: #3443943

User image

Champion
kt65 - 2011-04-13 9:28 AM
SSMinnow - 2011-04-13 3:25 AM

Yes, I am running the holy grail of marathons on Monday and I am so honored to be toeing that line.  I will be in Wave 2, Corral 2, bib #10300.  10,300 of 27,000! 

My strategy is to stick to my pace and not get caught up in the excitement of race day and the crowds that will surely add to the adrenaline factor.  I did that (went out like a charging bull) at my qualifying marathon and the last few miles were not pretty.  I know I can run at 7:40 pace, I have done that on a few long runs in training, but 7:30-7:35 for 26.2 will be the challenge.  So, if you guys see my half mary split at less than 1:38, you can start worrying about me!  And give me crap for it after the race.  And if 7:30's are not working out, I will adjust as needed!  It will be a fun day no matter what!

Those Newton hills have put a bit of fear in me, so we'll see how much I slow down, I am hoping to only lose a few minutes there but 5 miles of hills sounds like a huge challenge.  Hopefully I will see Christina (welcome back!) for a lift at mile 18.5!  I will be thinking of our Terps Linda who couldn't make the trip out and something she said in her race report when I hit the top of the last hill.  Will miss you Linda!

We are flying out on a red eye Friday night, will go over to the bib pick up after grabbing a bite and then hopefully crash out if they'll let us in the room. 

I have thought alot about what this race means to me and will say that I would never even be at the starting line without the support and encouragement of this group.  The one thing I am sad about is that my Mom and Dad can't come out due to my Dad's health, but Kathy will update them and they will be watching the leaders on the television.

Oops, sun is out and i have one last track workout.  i hope to make you guys proud out there.  thanks twin!

Good luck to everyone else racing!

Holy crap, it's time isn't it?

You're going to rock Boston Kim!

2011-04-13 8:51 AM
in reply to: #3443943

User image

Expert
kt65 - 2011-04-13 9:28 AM

Good luck with the race. I haven't run Boston myself but I've lived here my entire life and know lots of people who have. One of the things they all say is that they never realized how much descending there is the first 16 miles and what a beating that puts on your quads. Then you start climbing more after that especially around mile 19.

Just something to think about because I know my tendency is to pick up speed on the descents which on shorter races serves me well but that distance I'm not so sure.

2011-04-13 9:16 AM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California

Wow!  Lots of racing going on this weekend!  Can't wait to read all of the race reports!!

The idea of a 50k just blows my mind.  wow.

Very impressed with your Boston #, Kim - mine started with a 20!   Yep, corral 20......!   If Kathy is planning on trying to zip around and see you at various places, let me know.  Jeff did a great job, and may have some pointers.  Including roses at the finish line, and location of the ice machines at the hotel!!

2011-04-13 9:22 AM
in reply to: #3443739

User image

fattyfatfat - 2011-04-13 7:30 AM

This happened in '09 at IMKY.  Not cool!

2011-04-13 9:35 AM

User image

Chatham Ontario

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE RACING ON MONDAY.

IT'S MY BIRTHDAY SO I HAVE FAITH IN ALL OF YOU TO DO WELL ON MY BIRTHDAY. I will be cheering you all on watching from my computer at work.

My training partner's sister is working on qualification for next year. She has qualified before but never gone. She is determined that she will go next year and actually take part in 2012. I have not doubt she will make it.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed Rss Feed  

of 298