BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Salty Beyond Ridiculous Manatees PART 6--CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 91

2012-10-27 2:17 AM
in reply to: #4458563

User image

England
Subject: RE: Yanti & Salty Beyond Ridiculous Manatees PART 6--CLOSED

It's 8am Sat morning here in UKland and a chilly 33 degrees with blue skies promised, frost on parts of the garden and a freshSurprised wind. Time to HTFU and haul my *ss onto the tarmac for my first run poste cigarettes.

Later i will be visiting my son and his partner in their first apartment in the middle of historic Lincoln where we shall be pottering around and enjoying a coffee house or some such establishment for coffee and cakes.

BTW, in Lincoln there is a hill called, appropriately enough, Steep Hill. It's gradient is 1 in 7 (it rises 195 ft in just 0.26 of a mile) and it gets even steeper towards the top. They have fitted a hand rail to help visitors up it. We shall be up it today cos it has loads of independent quaint little shops along it's length and i have promised to hunt for a mirror for their house warming gift.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=steep+hill+lincoln&num=10&hl=en&biw=1024&bih=479&tbm=isch&tbnid=jPrSyrcCVma-VM:&imgrefurl=http://jolyonchecketts.com/about/&docid=xo8hgwXRrnRNqM&imgurl=http://jolyonchecketts.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/steep-hill.jpg&w=450&h=600&ei=wYyLULDqApOA0AXxgoGQDw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=90&vpy=90&dur=2399&hovh=259&hovw=194&tx=130&ty=168&sig=106190497972938630723&page=1&tbnh=135&tbnw=98&start=0&ndsp=10&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0,i:69

Edited by ukweeble 2012-10-27 2:28 AM

2012-10-27 2:26 AM
in reply to: #4471467

User image

England
jobaxas - 2012-10-27 8:02 AM
ukweeble - 2012-10-27 4:50 PM
jobaxas - 2012-10-27 4:34 AM
bcraht - 2012-10-27 10:16 AM

jobaxas - 2012-10-26 3:23 PM I'm a little excited got a tweet from Macca hey Jo let's meet up in Noosa next weekend and talk fundraising! Oh alright then!!!!! OMG

OMG, Jo, that is awesome!  Don't be naughty now....

Coffee with Macca booked for next Saturday - he'd better bring mrs Macca or I won't be held accountable for him not making it to the start line Sunday morning......

Crowie is up there too, signing his book - yes I'll be getting one of those!  After all without me he couldn't have won IM Melbourne - special needs on the bike that's all I'm saying....

That's going to be quite a weekend!

what happens in Noosa stays in Noosa

Yes, but you can tell us, it's safe with usSealed

2012-10-27 3:55 AM

User image

Elite
I will have pictorial evidence!!!!!
2012-10-27 4:24 AM
in reply to: #4471470

User image

Elite
ukweeble - 2012-10-27 5:17 PM

It's 8am Sat morning here in UKland and a chilly 33 degrees with blue skies promised, frost on parts of the garden and a freshSurprised wind. Time to HTFU and haul my *ss onto the tarmac for my first run poste cigarettes.

Later i will be visiting my son and his partner in their first apartment in the middle of historic Lincoln where we shall be pottering around and enjoying a coffee house or some such establishment for coffee and cakes.

BTW, in Lincoln there is a hill called, appropriately enough, Steep Hill. It's gradient is 1 in 7 (it rises 195 ft in just 0.26 of a mile) and it gets even steeper towards the top. They have fitted a hand rail to help visitors up it. We shall be up it today cos it has loads of independent quaint little shops along it's length and i have promised to hunt for a mirror for their house warming gift.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=steep+hill+lincoln&num=10&hl=en&biw=1024&bih=479&tbm=isch&tbnid=jPrSyrcCVma-VM:&imgrefurl=http://jolyonchecketts.com/about/&docid=xo8hgwXRrnRNqM&imgurl=http://jolyonchecketts.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/steep-hill.jpg&w=450&h=600&ei=wYyLULDqApOA0AXxgoGQDw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=90&vpy=90&dur=2399&hovh=259&hovw=194&tx=130&ty=168&sig=106190497972938630723&page=1&tbnh=135&tbnw=98&start=0&ndsp=10&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0,i:69

you my UK friend have to run up that there hill and cough up a lung!!!
2012-10-27 10:56 AM
in reply to: #4471453

User image

Seattle
bcraht - 2012-10-27 1:05 AM

Ahh, big deal, you guys have met Macca and Chrissie.  I am just back from having dinner with the infamous Salty!  She has a pic to prove it.  Hopefully she will actually post it, or y'all won't believe me....  Although we were 20 minutes late...freakin' Seattle traffic...Thank heavens she forgave me....Just back at the hotel from having a great dinner at Marination Ma Kai in Seattle.  For those who want to know, Adrienne is a)as saucy in person b)as cute as her picture and c)pretty much as awesome as she seems here online.  My SO and I had a great time chatting with her (quiz her on Canadian Serial Killers!) and having some beers.  Even drove by the Salty's made famous by Adrienne's recent race!  Hope to meet some of you other Manatees in person someday.  In case anyone was wondering...nothing got blown up.  Although the employees of the restaurant did start emptying the garbages RIGHT NEXT TO OUR TABLE--I think it was a hint to get the Frog out already...  Wink

Oh, yeah, and apparently she is a regular, they brought her extra take out and everything...

Ooooh yeah, it's allllllll true! It was great getting to meet you guys. I thought I was going to get stood up wooomp wooomp woooomp. Wouldn't be the first time!

I apparently failed in Canadian pop culture but in my defense I do:

1. Know what highway one is (with the 1 and the Canadian leaf, right?? I  mean eh?)

2. Play hockey

3. I forgot to mention but I slept on the side of the road in Vancouver once ... long story

of course we had beers. That's a silly question.

2012-10-27 12:00 PM
in reply to: #4471671

User image

Melon Presser
Asalzwed - 2012-10-27 11:56 PM

Ooooh yeah, it's allllllll true! It was great getting to meet you guys. I thought I was going to get stood up wooomp wooomp woooomp. Wouldn't be the first time!

1. Know what highway one is (with the 1 and the Canadian leaf, right?? I  mean eh?)

2. Play hockey

3. I forgot to mention but I slept on the side of the road in Vancouver once ... long story

HAWTNESS^2

JEALOUS^2

2012-10-27 1:28 PM

User image

Seattle
Holy hell I almost had to cut off my costume. I survived though! Lots of people honking. After discussing with my running mates it was decided Robin has zero super powers and is really just a liability.
2012-10-27 2:09 PM

User image

Elite
Asalzwed - 2012-10-28 1:56 AM

Ahh, big deal, you guys have met Macca and Chrissie.  I am just back from having dinner with the infamous Salty!  She has a pic to prove it.  Hopefully she will actually post it, or y'all won't believe me....  Although we were 20 minutes late...freakin' Seattle traffic...Thank heavens she forgave me....Just back at the hotel from having a great dinner at Marination Ma Kai in Seattle.  For those who want to know, Adrienne is a)as saucy in person b)as cute as her picture and c)pretty much as awesome as she seems here online.  My SO and I had a great time chatting with her (quiz her on Canadian Serial Killers!) and having some beers.  Even drove by the Salty's made famous by Adrienne's recent race!  Hope to meet some of you other Manatees in person someday.  In case anyone was wondering...nothing got blown up.  Although the employees of the restaurant did start emptying the garbages RIGHT NEXT TO OUR TABLE--I think it was a hint to get the Frog out already...  Wink

Oh, yeah, and apparently she is a regular, they brought her extra take out and everything...

2. Play hockey

Soon enough a pic of Jo and UK Weeble will appear!

2012-10-27 2:42 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Asalzwed - 2012-10-27 10:56 AM

2. Play hockey

Me Jellies too!  Very cool you two got to meet.

2012-10-27 3:20 PM

User image

Master
Orlando
Recently came back from packet pick up at the race site . All I can say is YIKES!!! The wind is blowing up to 45 mph ( according to some locals), the water looks really angry and it is difficult just to walk into the wind, let alone ride into it. Had the race been today, the swim would have been cancelled. We were supposed to check our bikes in today, but that was cancelled b/ c of thw wind. On the bike, we have to cross a number of draw bridges whose grates were supposed to be covered with carpet, but because of the wind, they can't, so they gave out warnings about how to ride over the grates without crashing. They are hoping the winds will " die" down to 20 mph tomorrow. Ugh. Venue looks great, though.When I got back to the hotel, I took my bike out of the car and then promptly locked my keys in the car. Got the maintenance guy to try to break in, but he couldn't. Tried to look up the AAA help number on my stupid agency phone, but links wouldn't work. The hotel receptionist got me the number, it was wrong. I called a couple of people I thought had AAA, they didn't. No one around the hotel had AAA. Finally, I called my mother. Should have started with her. She had the number and they sent a locksmith. He came in less then an hour and took all of 10 seconds to get my door open. Thank goodness I joined AAA about 2 weeks ago. It has now paid for itself. So, now I'm in the hotel trying not to think about the weather and trying to convince myself I won't be DFL tomorrow.I think I need a pre- race beer
2012-10-27 3:27 PM
in reply to: #4471884

User image

Seattle
amd723 - 2012-10-27 3:20 PMRecently came back from packet pick up at the race site . All I can say is YIKES!!! The wind is blowing up to 45 mph ( according to some locals), the water looks really angry and it is difficult just to walk into the wind, let alone ride into it. Had the race been today, the swim would have been cancelled. We were supposed to check our bikes in today, but that was cancelled b/ c of thw wind. On the bike, we have to cross a number of draw bridges whose grates were supposed to be covered with carpet, but because of the wind, they can't, so they gave out warnings about how to ride over the grates without crashing. They are hoping the winds will " die" down to 20 mph tomorrow. Ugh. Venue looks great, though.When I got back to the hotel, I took my bike out of the car and then promptly locked my keys in the car. Got the maintenance guy to try to break in, but he couldn't. Tried to look up the AAA help number on my stupid agency phone, but links wouldn't work. The hotel receptionist got me the number, it was wrong. I called a couple of people I thought had AAA, they didn't. No one around the hotel had AAA. Finally, I called my mother. Should have started with her. She had the number and they sent a locksmith. He came in less then an hour and took all of 10 seconds to get my door open. Thank goodness I joined AAA about 2 weeks ago. It has now paid for itself. So, now I'm in the hotel trying not to think about the weather and trying to convince myself I won't be DFL tomorrow.I think I need a pre- race beer
Nice start! You are going to be just fine. Your not going to be DFL either. Take it suuuuper easy on those grates. Some fool won't and they'll eat it on the grate and be DFL themselves. Everyone is in the same boat so just know you just have to Out HTFU them. Damnit Chris get this lady a beer!

2012-10-27 3:57 PM
in reply to: #4471887

User image

Master
Orlando
Asalzwed - 2012-10-27 3:27 PM
amd723 - 2012-10-27 3:20 PMRecently came back from packet pick up at the race site . All I can say is YIKES!!! The wind is blowing up to 45 mph ( according to some locals), the water looks really angry and it is difficult just to walk into the wind, let alone ride into it. Had the race been today, the swim would have been cancelled. We were supposed to check our bikes in today, but that was cancelled b/ c of thw wind. On the bike, we have to cross a number of draw bridges whose grates were supposed to be covered with carpet, but because of the wind, they can't, so they gave out warnings about how to ride over the grates without crashing. They are hoping the winds will " die" down to 20 mph tomorrow. Ugh. Venue looks great, though.When I got back to the hotel, I took my bike out of the car and then promptly locked my keys in the car. Got the maintenance guy to try to break in, but he couldn't. Tried to look up the AAA help number on my stupid agency phone, but links wouldn't work. The hotel receptionist got me the number, it was wrong. I called a couple of people I thought had AAA, they didn't. No one around the hotel had AAA. Finally, I called my mother. Should have started with her. She had the number and they sent a locksmith. He came in less then an hour and took all of 10 seconds to get my door open. Thank goodness I joined AAA about 2 weeks ago. It has now paid for itself. So, now I'm in the hotel trying not to think about the weather and trying to convince myself I won't be DFL tomorrow.I think I need a pre- race beer
Nice start! You are going to be just fine. Your not going to be DFL either. Take it suuuuper easy on those grates. Some fool won't and they'll eat it on the grate and be DFL themselves. Everyone is in the same boat so just know you just have to Out HTFU them. Damnit Chris get this lady a beer!
I go through pre- race angst just about every race, so this is really just my normal self doubt. It is compounded a bit by the fact the my last ( and to date only) HIM, we had strong winds on the bike and I ended up fried so the run was brutal. I tell myself I'm in better bike shape this year and I have a tri bike this year, so I can get out of the wind a bit better, but still ...Anyway, don't mind me, once I get going I now I'll be fine.Oh, and sorry for the formatting. The iPad doesn't seem to like this site.
2012-10-27 5:24 PM
in reply to: #4471908

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
amd723 - 2012-10-27 4:57 PM

I go through pre- race angst just about every race, so this is really just my normal self doubt. It is compounded a bit by the fact the my last ( and to date only) HIM, we had strong winds on the bike and I ended up fried so the run was brutal. I tell myself I'm in better bike shape this year and I have a tri bike this year, so I can get out of the wind a bit better, but still ...Anyway, don't mind me, once I get going I now I'll be fine.Oh, and sorry for the formatting. The iPad doesn't seem to like this site.

OK, I ride those bridges weekly, stay straight and you are good. They seem scarier then they are, and the grate part is not very long. 3 blocks from your hotel is the Marker 4. The beer is cold and the food is barely passable. With any luck they'll have a band. If you wanna drive, head to the Crow's Nest. A bit pricy, but very nice views and atmosphere.
2012-10-27 5:57 PM
in reply to: #4471953

User image

Master
Orlando
cdban66 - 2012-10-27 5:24 PM
amd723 - 2012-10-27 4:57 PM
OK, I ride those bridges weekly, stay straight and you are good. They seem scarier then they are, and the grate part is not very long. 3 blocks from your hotel is the Marker 4. The beer is cold and the food is barely passable. With any luck they'll have a band. If you wanna drive, head to the Crow's Nest. A bit pricy, but very nice views and atmosphere.
Thanks, I just went to Sharky's. went out on the pier and almost got blown off! The view was worth it though!
2012-10-27 8:14 PM

User image

Master
Central Kansas

amd723 - 2012-10-27 3:20 PM Recently came back from packet pick up at the race site . All I can say is YIKES!!! The wind is blowing up to 45 mph ( according to some locals), the water looks really angry and it is difficult just to walk into the wind, let alone ride into it. Had the race been today, the swim would have been cancelled. We were supposed to check our bikes in today, but that was cancelled b/ c of thw wind. On the bike, we have to cross a number of draw bridges whose grates were supposed to be covered with carpet, but because of the wind, they can't, so they gave out warnings about how to ride over the grates without crashing. They are hoping the winds will " die" down to 20 mph tomorrow. Ugh. Venue looks great, though.When I got back to the hotel, I took my bike out of the car and then promptly locked my keys in the car. Got the maintenance guy to try to break in, but he couldn't. Tried to look up the AAA help number on my stupid agency phone, but links wouldn't work. The hotel receptionist got me the number, it was wrong. I called a couple of people I thought had AAA, they didn't. No one around the hotel had AAA. Finally, I called my mother. Should have started with her. She had the number and they sent a locksmith. He came in less then an hour and took all of 10 seconds to get my door open. Thank goodness I joined AAA about 2 weeks ago. It has now paid for itself. So, now I'm in the hotel trying not to think about the weather and trying to convince myself I won't be DFL tomorrow.I think I need a pre- race beer

Oh, dear. Hang in there, girl. I hope the weather cooperates for you tomorrow. Good luck!

2012-10-27 9:16 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS

amd723 - 2012-10-27 3:20 PM Recently came back from packet pick up at the race site . All I can say is YIKES!!! The wind is blowing up to 45 mph ( according to some locals), the water looks really angry and it is difficult just to walk into the wind, let alone ride into it. Had the race been today, the swim would have been cancelled. We were supposed to check our bikes in today, but that was cancelled b/ c of thw wind. On the bike, we have to cross a number of draw bridges whose grates were supposed to be covered with carpet, but because of the wind, they can't, so they gave out warnings about how to ride over the grates without crashing. They are hoping the winds will " die" down to 20 mph tomorrow. Ugh. Venue looks great, though.When I got back to the hotel, I took my bike out of the car and then promptly locked my keys in the car. Got the maintenance guy to try to break in, but he couldn't. Tried to look up the AAA help number on my stupid agency phone, but links wouldn't work. The hotel receptionist got me the number, it was wrong. I called a couple of people I thought had AAA, they didn't. No one around the hotel had AAA. Finally, I called my mother. Should have started with her. She had the number and they sent a locksmith. He came in less then an hour and took all of 10 seconds to get my door open. Thank goodness I joined AAA about 2 weeks ago. It has now paid for itself. So, now I'm in the hotel trying not to think about the weather and trying to convince myself I won't be DFL tomorrow.I think I need a pre- race beer

Anne-Marie,

You're training looks good, it will be windy for you and everyone else.  Weather.com has hour by hour showing about 17 mph when you get out of the water, should be no higher than 22 mph when you get off the bike.  Yeah, it could be higher tomorrow with gusts etc. just get down in aero and don't fight it.  Just keep spinning and be as aero as possible.  It will seem like you are going very slow if you're going against a headwind but so is everyone else.  Just RELAX and don't get mentally pulled out of it.  It's a long race.  Once off the bike you'll have a great run, even if it's a little breezy.  Enjoy the tailwinds.

You got thisSmile

2012-10-27 11:32 PM
in reply to: #4472142

User image

Master
reecealan - 2012-10-27 7:16 PM

Anne-Marie,

You're training looks good, it will be windy for you and everyone else.  Weather.com has hour by hour showing about 17 mph when you get out of the water, should be no higher than 22 mph when you get off the bike.  Yeah, it could be higher tomorrow with gusts etc. just get down in aero and don't fight it.  Just keep spinning and be as aero as possible.  It will seem like you are going very slow if you're going against a headwind but so is everyone else.  Just RELAX and don't get mentally pulled out of it.  It's a long race.  Once off the bike you'll have a great run, even if it's a little breezy.  Enjoy the tailwinds.

You got thisSmile

^ X2.  You are going to kill it, Ann Marie.  When it gets tough against the wind, imagine Manatee flippers pushing you along.  Have fun!!

2012-10-28 3:08 AM

User image

England

Went for my run yesterday morning! It was just 1 degree (33F). When i got in, my brain and ears ached soo much!! Time for a new hat. On the plus side, it was my fastest ever run on that route @8.22/mile.

Of course it pales into insignificance compared to Annes upcoming HIM adventure.

Good luck Anne. You've had some good advice already so i can't add anything useful, just to say, we will all be with you in spirit when it gets tough out there.

2012-10-28 3:29 AM

User image

England
Does anyone know Anne's bib No. so we can check her progress on the Rev3 site?
2012-10-28 4:46 AM

User image

Master
Orlando
Morning Manatees!Thanks for all your words of encouragement, it always helps to have what my brain knows reinforced to my emotional self ( it's early, so disregard the awkwardness of that sentence!). Race officials stayed at my hotel and I just had coffee with them. The swim is cancelled. Winds are still in the 20 mph range. Even when the winds eventually die down, they don't expect the water to be safe until about mid- week. Oh well, we are all in the same boat. I will take all your advice and stay in aero, spin when headed into the wind and crank it with the wind. Bib # 200.Thanks for listening to my rants
2012-10-28 7:41 AM
in reply to: #4472231

User image

Melon Presser

amd723 - 2012-10-28 5:46 PM Morning Manatees!Thanks for all your words of encouragement, it always helps to have what my brain knows reinforced to my emotional self ( it's early, so disregard the awkwardness of that sentence!). Race officials stayed at my hotel and I just had coffee with them. The swim is cancelled. Winds are still in the 20 mph range. Even when the winds eventually die down, they don't expect the water to be safe until about mid- week. Oh well, we are all in the same boat. I will take all your advice and stay in aero, spin when headed into the wind and crank it with the wind. Bib # 200.Thanks for listening to my rants

Oooh, glad you checked in. I was thinking about you! Rats about the swim being cancelled, but you will no doubt make it a great day anyway, winds and all. We'll be trackin'!

2012-10-28 11:00 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Ann Marie is off the bike and looks good. Mile 1 of the run is done. GOOOOOOOO!!!!!
2012-10-28 11:24 AM
in reply to: #4472379

User image

Melon Presser

cdban66 - 2012-10-29 12:00 AM Ann Marie is off the bike and looks good. Mile 1 of the run is done. GOOOOOOOO!!!!!

WOOHOO!

DFL, my azz.

2012-10-28 11:29 AM
in reply to: #4472379

User image

Seattle
cdban66 - 2012-10-28 11:00 AMAnn Marie is off the bike and looks good. Mile 1 of the run is done. GOOOOOOOO!!!!!
Saweeeeet! Go Ann Marie!!! Thanks for the update.
2012-10-28 11:30 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
I know right?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Salty Beyond Ridiculous Manatees PART 6--CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 91