BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 103

2014-08-07 1:12 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)

Originally posted by rrrunner

OK, so funny story on the bike selling/buying topic...

You veteran Manatees know how I've TRIED to like MTB for DH's sake. Well the other day we were talking with a MTBer from my coach group and DH mentioned that I probably just need a better MTB.

So a couple days ago we were watching the Tour of Utah and DH mentioned selling my bike to his co-worker for $20 (which is about what it's worth) and getting me a better bike. The boys said my look was priceless. I'm sure it was a combination of "OH NEW BIKE" and "oh i gotta ride a MTB"...

You know what I did with my MTB?  I gave it to Kevin as a backup bike (which he then sold after hanging onto it a while) and got a cyclocross bike.  Me + single track + mtb shifting is a no go.  Me + CX bike + bridle trails/greenways is good stuff :-)  I do think that I need to upgrade the brakes on it though.  It came with ultra cheap breaks.  I upgraded them to some that are cheap (but not ultra cheap).  I think that I need to upgrade them to actual decent brakes though.  Oh well...

Kevin brought his 29er last weekend and he rode up to the Blue Ridge Parkway and back while I was on the bike leg of my HIM.  It was on a road but he thought that was better than sitting around waiting for me!

(No clue on the job stuff.  Good luck to your brother though.)

2014-08-07 1:13 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk
Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by cdban66

These are intended to go on the aerobars of a tri bike. Wouldn't really work for a basic road bike.

I've had the A2 for some time, but never really finished hooking it up as it seemed a bit big & clunky. Didn't like how the garmin would be sitting up top of everything. Take a look at the XLab Torpedo.

Thats pretty nice.  How is it for refilling?

I don't know, I've been on the road bike all season. Also only doing short course tris this season. 

I may just wait for your review ;-)

I messaged this to Chris last night I have the Xlab torpedo. It's pretty slick and I like it a lot. It has two covers - one that seals it and one that leaves an opening for easy refil. So far I've only used the closed cover - in fact now that I think about it I'm not sure where I put the other. EEK lol also, Candice from Xlab posts regularly on ST and is pretty helpful with peoples questions etc. In fact when I wanted one QBP was back ordered and she told me to tell my shop to call them directly and they got one. I think Install can be a little tricky but between a good shop and Candice it's all good!

It's probably going to be at least a few weeks before I have anything more to say. And I'm just looking at short-course, so no refills.

No problem.  I may defer the change until my off season anyway.

2014-08-07 1:16 PM

User image

Master
TJ.He said. Easycalculation.com/budget/living cost I think. One of the few that does international
2014-08-07 1:17 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

You veteran Manatees know how I've TRIED to like MTB for DH's sake. Well the other day we were talking with a MTBer from my coach group and DH mentioned that I probably just need a better MTB.

So a couple days ago we were watching the Tour of Utah and DH mentioned selling my bike to his co-worker for $20 (which is about what it's worth) and getting me a better bike. The boys said my look was priceless. I'm sure it was a combination of "OH NEW BIKE" and "oh i gotta ride a MTB"...

You know what I did with my MTB?  I gave it to Kevin as a backup bike (which he then sold after hanging onto it a while) and got a cyclocross bike.  Me + single track + mtb shifting is a no go.  Me + CX bike + bridle trails/greenways is good stuff :-)  I do think that I need to upgrade the brakes on it though.  It came with ultra cheap breaks.  I upgraded them to some that are cheap (but not ultra cheap).  I think that I need to upgrade them to actual decent brakes though.  Oh well...

Kevin brought his 29er last weekend and he rode up to the Blue Ridge Parkway and back while I was on the bike leg of my HIM.  It was on a road but he thought that was better than sitting around waiting for me!

Yeah, I think I'd do better with trails/greenways as opposed to... Moab  I did fine when we climbed the dirt road and with some of the stuff near home. I didn't care for the deep sand in the arroyos.

2014-08-07 1:18 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by 4agoodlife TJ.He said. Easycalculation.com/budget/living cost I think. One of the few that does international

Awesome thanks! I'll give it a try!

ETA: It looks like the cost of living is less in Houston than in Nuremberg!

Edited by rrrunner 2014-08-07 1:24 PM
2014-08-07 4:29 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

It's Yanti's daily howl!

The good stuff.1 - Mutti's still alive, she's had a bite to eat, the roof's still there. Me too (I figure if this happens every day, we are at 100% and everything else is extra)
2 - I hired someone to help me with Mutti Watcher Search.
3 - My friend here and my brother can help out with part-days sometimes. Phew!
4 - I have medical stuff scheduled in Bali next week and the 2x/week caretaker can string her days together so I can go back for that.

The tough stuff.
1 - Everything I whined about before.
2 - Our community and family in particular are still reeling over the deaths of friends on MH17. And Ben, the cyclist who lived in Singapore. Additionally, two from-childhood family friends died unexpectedly in the last two weeks, one in suspicious circumstances. I initially helped in Bali and my sister is now helping try to unravel it all. We're not alone in this, not by a long shot, so that's good

I know that as you get older, more people die. And the accumulation of the circles of love, friends, colleagues is huge, so there's that. But it's just been a LOT in the last few weeks, particularly, the three whose families we've been close to for 40 years or more. Grief.

3 - This is chosen tough stuff, just letting you know AND making a plea. This has made international headlines and particularly in Canada. I mentioned something about this before, and as before, our family is in the middle of it as well because ... a lot of this is really sensitive and we have good connections. Regardless, 3 super educators in our community, from my (and my siblings and brother's kids) alma mater have been unjustly accused of child molestation crimes which all circumstances, rock-solid alibis, etc. prove they couldn't have been involved with (the accusers - parents - are suing the school for $125 million -- in this country! in a civil suit ... big pie to divide up, almost certain if a criminal case goes through).

Two of the accused remain detained without cause or evidence. One is a Canadian; one is Indonesian. The third, the elementary school principal, is from the U.S. and is not detained but she cannot leave the country either.

Please consider signing this petition. The more, the better. This has struck very deep and very close. My father would have been appalled. This is NOT how we treat guests in our country or our own citizens, and the law is absolutely not being applied fairly. This school made many of us who we are and it's one of the best in the world.

http://www.avaaz.org/en/petition/Neil_Bantleman_and_Ferdinant_Tjiong_Have_these_innocent_men_released_from_police_custody_in_Indonesia/?fHatcib

If you're Canadian or American and willing to also write members of legislature / politicians I also have stock letters to email. Thank you.

Glad you'll have some Mutti help, even if not totally long-term yet.

I'll be looking at the petition for sure. Cases with educators always strike close to home.

Don't run yourself too ragged. And come bask in Manatee warmth often.

2014-08-07 6:14 PM

User image

Master

Originally posted by laffinrock

Originally posted by dmgaudre

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Originally posted by dmgaudre

there's

Originally posted by dmgaudreJust took my first quick ride an actual road bike. Holy moly is it different from my mountain bike and the stationery bike at the Y. My legs are screaming! Woohoo!Darren...you got me...I'm 39 in that picture... :-)

Isn't it fun???? Did you borrow or....dare I say, buy? Have to be careful around here even whispering bike and buy in the same sentence.

Borrowed. As this is my first tri I thought I had better not invest too much money right away. And I have been looking at bikes and boy are they expensive! LOL

Look at craigslist for used. Especially in our area with so much good riding weather, there's a lot out there. Shops post their bikes on CL too. We found mine at a little place in fountain hills. And I was same thinking as you, so my first tri was on my mtn bike .Bought my road before second one. Lol

I seriously wouldn't even know where to start when deciding on a bike. I don't know anything about them...

Bicycling Magazine is a good resource.  They have a section for beginners with articles about all kinds of things including how to shop for a bike.  The also have reviews of various bikes and you can choose the category of bike you're considering (road beginner, road enthusiast, etc.).  Here are some helpful links: 

http://www.bicycling.com/gearfinderproductlist?gfpagetype=category&gfid=823

http://www.bicycling.com/beginners/bikes-gear

A local bike shop is also a good place to start.  They can explain stuff to you and spend time helping you understand what you're looking at and looking for.

It was all Erin. 

My phone was high on enthusiasm this morning  I've beaten it back to normal now.

2014-08-07 6:50 PM

User image

Master

Yeah, I think I'd do better with trails/greenways as opposed to... Moab  I did fine when we climbed the dirt road and with some of the stuff near home. I didn't care for the deep sand in the arroyos.

Riding Dirty Harry is a totally different beast than Silver. And I'm super happy to have both. I need the change-up from the steady road rides around here. Riding the trails is a full body, full mental exercise. And the sand....oh, the sand. I'm exhausted after 1.5-2 hours of rocky trails. On the other hand, after 3 hours on the road, I'm tired, but not wiped out.

Having a full suspension option 29er makes a huge difference from my old Kona. And the gearing is especially helpful in that I can shift while hard climbing. I trust the bike to do things I would never have tried before.

Having said all that...you guys are probably smarter for sticking to the bridle trails and greenways.

2014-08-07 6:56 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

Master
Northern IL

Why would a race report not accept pictures? Got an iPhone one up, but not understanding why GoPro and dSLR ones won't. No amount of shrinking seems to help.

2014-08-07 7:03 PM

User image

Master

Oh! and speaking of mtn bikes...

We're going to Flagstaff for a Barn Burner pre-ride on the 16th. My relay partner is going with us which is cool. The ride is a full course loop (26mi) and will give me a good idea of how I'll deal with the altitude. According to maps/descriptions, it's mostly fire trails with a few steep sections. Guess I'll find out for sure

2014-08-07 7:11 PM

User image

Master

Why would a race report not accept pictures? Got an iPhone one up, but not understanding why GoPro and dSLR ones won't. No amount of shrinking seems to help.

Have you been able to use them before?

Acceptable format?

Really as shrunk as should be?   <100?  Some pics seem to have to be shrunk to nothing before they're small enough.

(I'm sure those are "duh" things.)

Oh! Maybe they are NSFBT?

2014-08-07 7:27 PM
in reply to: #5032558

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
I had problems on my last RR as well. The iPhone pic is the only one it would upload
2014-08-07 7:34 PM
in reply to: 0

Master
Northern IL

Have you been able to use them before?

Acceptable format?

Really as shrunk as should be?   <100?  Some pics seem to have to be shrunk to nothing before they're small enough.

(I'm sure those are "duh" things.)

Oh! Maybe they are NSFBT?

Have had trouble before. jpg is about as universal as it gets. The iPhone pic is 2.6 MB. Combined group size? Pretty sure they're safe, but some could find landscape offensive.

ETA: And <100 kb doesn't work for the others.

Edited by brigby1 2014-08-07 7:39 PM
2014-08-08 6:04 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Having said all that...you guys are probably smarter for sticking to the bridle trails and greenways.

AHEM!
2014-08-08 8:55 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Originally posted by 4agoodlifeHaving said all that...you guys are probably smarter for sticking to the bridle trails and greenways.

AHEM!
Well, I did only say probably. :P.
2014-08-08 9:38 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by 4agoodlifeHaving said all that...you guys are probably smarter for sticking to the bridle trails and greenways.

AHEM!

2014-08-08 9:56 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

AHEM!

I think that Randee was saying that she's a single track kinda rider!  She's got skillz!

2014-08-08 10:25 AM

User image

Denver, CO

AHEM!

I think that Randee was saying that she's a single track kinda rider!  She's got skillz!

You mean she has a single track mind?

2014-08-08 10:30 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
She's ready for race day

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (1787KB - 2 downloads)
2014-08-08 10:34 AM

User image

Here is my loaner bike. I'm excited! I think it will do just fine for my first race. Then I can start looking at spending some money! lol

(photo.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
photo.JPG (2172KB - 4 downloads)
2014-08-08 10:35 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by rrrunner She's ready for race day

Looks spiffy and plenty fast too!  :-)

2014-08-08 10:38 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I know that some Manatees have been know to use MyFitnessPal from time to time.  I wanted to mention that Garmin and MFP now have some integration so you don't have to enter your Garmin activities into MFP (they automatically sync once you've set that up).

2014-08-08 10:38 AM
in reply to: dmgaudre

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by dmgaudre Here is my loaner bike. I'm excited! I think it will do just fine for my first race. Then I can start looking at spending some money! lol

I don't see it!  I wanna see it!!

2014-08-08 10:39 AM

User image

Originally posted by dmgaudre Here is my loaner bike. I'm excited! I think it will do just fine for my first race. Then I can start looking at spending some money! lol

I don't see it!  I wanna see it!!

Sorry...there is quite a delay on me figuring out how to attach the dang pictures. LOL It's there now...
2014-08-08 10:49 AM

User image

Master
Originally posted by rrrunnerShe's ready for race day
wheee-whoo(ummm...that's a cyber whistle)
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 103

RELATED POSTS

Funked Up Triathletes - Season 2 - Olympic/Sprint Focus - Closed Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27

Started by funkj25
Views: 45024 Posts: 669

2018-01-16 11:34 PM aviatrix802

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 39219 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 76012 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 52213 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Todd's Tri Turtles 3 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Basically Closed Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23

Started by Hunting Triathlete
Views: 27586 Posts: 569

2014-12-14 7:18 PM cassowary
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.