BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2017-02-02 3:16 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN
Originally posted by nicole14e

Went to early morning boot camp this morning! Glad to get it out of the way first thing, although getting out of bed was pretty rough. Trying to get a guy I'm interested in to ask me out tonight instead, but he's not taking the bait...

Clearly the guy needs glasses

2017-02-02 3:41 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Big news today!!! The rehab hospital that my son went to twice (Franciscan Hospital for Children) got their hands on a bib for this years Boston marathon. Guess who they gave it to? That's right - this guy!!!!

Running Boston has been on my bucket list since high school and now I get to attempt it. All I have to do is train (I've got 74 days) and raise 5 grand. I'm not sure which will be the tougher obstacle.

After I got the good news, I went out and bought a pair of Hokas for the the cushioning and a subway sandwich - turkey with lot of veggies) with the serious intention of starting a serious diet. At 265 - it's gonna be a tough run, so I need to shed some LBS - hopefully 2 lbs per week. Luckily, I've got 6:30 to finish the so it's totally doable.The trick is going to the fund raising. Since I raised 10,000 three years ago (and to those who gave from this site I'm still grateful), it's gonna be difficult asking for 5K more. Hopefully people will be willing to donate to a good cause.

I can't even tell you how stoked I am! Boston baby!
2017-02-02 3:46 AM

User image

Expert
For those interested in doing the Yoga challenge this month - may I suggest a great app called Yoga Studio. Not only is it set up to do premade sessions but you can also create your own set of poses. And the cool thing is that when it creates a routine for you - it adds the exercise to get you from one pose to another so the workout become seamless.

Check it out http://yogastudioapp.com/

Ifs 4:45 and I can't sleep so I think I will get my first session in. Good luck every buddy!
2017-02-02 9:17 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by Qua17

DQ, here it is again, but I will also send it through a fb message in case this doesn't work. Let me know what you pick! http://www.webmd.com/back-pain/lower-back-pain-10/slideshow-exercis... and then it's ON.

Went to Masters practice last night. Forgot my watch, so I'm not sure exactly how far we swam in the hour. I was getting a little frustrated b/c 1) I found out I'm picking my head up a little when I'm breathing and wasting so much energy. 2) I'm in the second fastest lane so was trying to keep up with them doing a total of 19 100s (6 @ 1:45, 5 @ 1:40, 5 @ 1:45, 3 @ 1:35). I am not there yet though, so ended up doing some 75s instead. All while trying to fix my breathing, and failing. This will likely be a focus for the next few weeks.

I got it this time. Thanks for resending it! What's the plan/contest. My back is dying to play.

That's some fast swimming - bad breathing or not!

Good question! I'm bad at thinking stuff like this up! Do all 5 exercises every day, or next Browns/Ravens game, you have to wear the other team's jersey, and post a pic on fb? That should be pretty motivating, although it's at least 7 months away...

Any other thoughts? Should we make it 5 times a week instead of every day? Let me know what you think!

Since I'd rather die than wear a Ravens Jersey (not much of an exaggeration ) let's settle on something a little different. How about this - we each set our weekly goals ( I'd like mine to be four 15 minute sessions per week). If we fall short, it's a CLP for every missed workout. I've got some silver bullets on top of my fridge that have been there for more than a year - that should provide the proper motivation for me. Would that work for you? Speaking of which - can we start tomorrow since I totally forgot it was February 1 today? you'll see why in a future post.

That works! I will make mine 4 15 minute sessions per week as well! I might make mine a warm Natty Boh Penalty instead though. I really hate Coors Light, and as much as I know it would be extra motivation, I don't want to waste my money on it and then have it taking up space if/WHEN I don't get any penalties
2017-02-02 9:20 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Big news today!!! The rehab hospital that my son went to twice (Franciscan Hospital for Children) got their hands on a bib for this years Boston marathon. Guess who they gave it to? That's right - this guy!!!!

Running Boston has been on my bucket list since high school and now I get to attempt it. All I have to do is train (I've got 74 days) and raise 5 grand. I'm not sure which will be the tougher obstacle.

After I got the good news, I went out and bought a pair of Hokas for the the cushioning and a subway sandwich - turkey with lot of veggies) with the serious intention of starting a serious diet. At 265 - it's gonna be a tough run, so I need to shed some LBS - hopefully 2 lbs per week. Luckily, I've got 6:30 to finish the so it's totally doable.The trick is going to the fund raising. Since I raised 10,000 three years ago (and to those who gave from this site I'm still grateful), it's gonna be difficult asking for 5K more. Hopefully people will be willing to donate to a good cause.

That's awesome! That is going to be incredible motivation!

Send the donation link this way! I would be happy to donate to your dream, as I'm sure other BDASers would!
2017-02-02 9:25 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
As for the guy, I ended up asking him out. We are going out tonight. It is a little complicated b/c we've actually been friends for a long time. We play on the same football team and have a lot of mutual friends. So I was hesitating a little to see where he stood, although I finally gave in and initiated it haha. We shall see how it goes! Thanks for your support

Working from home today so going to bodypump at noon! Woot!

2017-02-02 9:36 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Ok so much happening and so much to reply to but real quick - AWESOME NEWS on two accounts:

1 - Dave you're running Boston!!!  That's HUGE!  Definitely send the donation link

2 - ON you GO!  Way to take the initiative and be BaDAsS!!

2017-02-02 10:08 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

For those interested in doing the Yoga challenge this month - may I suggest a great app called Yoga Studio. Not only is it set up to do premade sessions but you can also create your own set of poses. And the cool thing is that when it creates a routine for you - it adds the exercise to get you from one pose to another so the workout become seamless.

Check it out http://yogastudioapp.com/

Ifs 4:45 and I can't sleep so I think I will get my first session in. Good luck every buddy!

x2--I love this app. It is awesome.
2017-02-02 10:09 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Congrats DQ!! Awesome!!
2017-02-02 10:15 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I just finished the last long run before my HM next weekend--12 miles. Oh, and yes, I totally did it around the seven lap track, so 84 laps this week! If I never see that track again, it will be too soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Kinda glad the track is going to be closed tomorrow and Saturday. It forced me to do the run a day early, so I actually get one more rest day between last long run and race day. Works out for me.

January's Whole30 challenge is done! I'm happy to report I was 100% compliant the whole month. It honestly wasn't all that hard, except for a few days were either we were late coming home and I really wanted take-out instead of cooking dinner, or a couple of other days when work really sucked and I wanted a drink. I haven't taken measurements, but I lost 19.6lbs over the course of the month, without feeling like I was dieting.

February's yoga challenge is underway! I almost missed it yesterday, thinking it was still January. I only remembered as I got up to go to bed and I saw the water bill ready to go in the mail (I always pay bills on the first of the month), which reminded me it was the first. So, bed got delayed for 15 minutes of yoga. Day 1 done...begrudgingly!
2017-02-02 10:30 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Gretchen - great work on both the challenge and the results!!  And best of luck with the HM!  And, with tapering for it.  Tapering always makes me antsy.

And the dog situation - I agree that guy is an a-hole.  Sorry you had to deal with it, and probably will again.  Funny, just this weekend I had a dog come charging out at me out of a yard.  Some kind of rottweiler mix - very imposing.  She was doing the 'oh look someone's here!!' bark and not the 'get away from my yard!' bark so I wasn't too worried but you never know.  Eventually the owner came out and apologized.  The pup and I had a little get to know you time first.  Glad she was friendly!!

Bike - As much as I would love to keep the old one, the boss has made it clear it has to go.  I bought new wheels/tires for it too since the original Bontragers have small cracks forming in the rim.  Can't sell it like that in good conscience.  Plus, I actually want my new bike on the trainer until Spring so I can get used to it and to the aero bars.  This is my first go round on aero positioning and I know it takes a lot of getting used to.

Matt, Dave, ON, Gretchen - Great work on the workouts!

Me -  Still trying to figure out what I'm doing this year.  I'm leaning towards not doing the HM in March, my ITs are bad right now in a way they haven't been in a loooong time.  I think I might need some run recovery time post-Dopey.  I don't want to lose my fitness and would still do a couple runs a week.  I just need a solid plan...

2017-02-02 10:32 AM

User image

New user
Madrid
Nicole, beautiful bike!! You will fly in there, and agree with you, the first sensations in an Argon can´t be better. I use my tri-bike (Quintana Roo) on the trainer and take it our occasionally.

Followed your car discussion with interest, as for americans the cars you mention as small as in Europe "family cars" - in fact, I drive a Mini and I am 6'4 and able to put my bike in when going to races (its all about using the spaces... - cannot say the same thing for driving a purple Subaru, sorry about that!

Mike, good to hear all going well.

And congrats DQ, Boston marathon is a dream for me (do send the link or bank account!)

(and ON, you did the right thing taking the initiative, I love assertive partners!)

Juan
2017-02-02 4:19 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Originally posted by drfoodlove

I just finished the last long run before my HM next weekend--12 miles. Oh, and yes, I totally did it around the seven lap track, so 84 laps this week! If I never see that track again, it will be too soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Kinda glad the track is going to be closed tomorrow and Saturday. It forced me to do the run a day early, so I actually get one more rest day between last long run and race day. Works out for me.

January's Whole30 challenge is done! I'm happy to report I was 100% compliant the whole month. It honestly wasn't all that hard, except for a few days were either we were late coming home and I really wanted take-out instead of cooking dinner, or a couple of other days when work really sucked and I wanted a drink. I haven't taken measurements, but I lost 19.6lbs over the course of the month, without feeling like I was dieting.

February's yoga challenge is underway! I almost missed it yesterday, thinking it was still January. I only remembered as I got up to go to bed and I saw the water bill ready to go in the mail (I always pay bills on the first of the month), which reminded me it was the first. So, bed got delayed for 15 minutes of yoga. Day 1 done...begrudgingly!

Wya to go on finishing your training for the HN. Now it's time to enjoy the taper!

I love the fact you got out of bed to do the challenge. As always - you are THE MACHINE!

Edited by Qua17 2017-02-02 4:20 PM
2017-02-02 4:23 PM
in reply to: firebert

User image

Expert
Originally posted by firebert

Me -  Still trying to figure out what I'm doing this year.  I'm leaning towards not doing the HM in March, my ITs are bad right now in a way they haven't been in a loooong time.  I think I might need some run recovery time post-Dopey.  I don't want to lose my fitness and would still do a couple runs a week.  I just need a solid plan...

Bandit part of Boston with me. You know you want to!
2017-02-02 4:28 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
I have the best PT in the business - he agreed to train me for Boston but I have to give up Suger, Grains, and beer. Brutal!

First workout was a 45 minute walk and 15 minute on the trainer. I also snuck in a swim just for the fun of it. I also have to do stretches and core work which I'm going to count as my yoga if it's ok with everyone (I already did 15 minute this morning at 3 am when I couldn't sleep.

Prost!

Edited by Qua17 2017-02-02 4:28 PM
2017-02-02 9:18 PM
in reply to: #5207975

User image

, California
Dave - congrats that is such awesome news. Definitely send the link. I'm excited for you, Boston is so iconic.

Nicole - nice job, hope you have fun!

Gretchen - good luck in your race!

40 min easy run after work for me today. Doing some yoga with the wifey tonight. And then Friday is an off day so I took the liberty of a preventative massage after work. Recovery is the 4th discipline right ??

-Matt

2017-02-03 6:59 AM
in reply to: Tavo2311

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

@Dave - great news on Boston...that's really cool.  And a great first workout to start your training.  Make sure to ramp up slowly.

@Nicole - way to go, girl!!!  Sometimes guys just don't get the hint.  LOL

@Gretchen - I think I need to borrow that diet...that's an awesome weight loss and I'll bet it's where you would want to lose the lb's, too.  Good luck on the taper.

Still progressing on my recovery though we've had a little complication as my body seems to be rejected/fighting either the sutures or the durabond surgical glue, so I have hives.  My doctor gave my hydroxyzine, which is basically Benadryl on steroids, and it knocked. me. out.  So, I can't take it during the day but it seems to have taken the "edge" off. 

I've been working like 5-6 hours/day and trying to get in a quick nap or least lie down for an hour during the day, which is helping also.  I bagged my treadmill walking until this hives thing resolves - no hurry, right.  I still walk up and down the stairs like 30 times/day and I walk the 100 yards to the mailbox.  LOL

Happy Friday!

2017-02-03 8:27 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

@Dave - great news on Boston...that's really cool.  And a great first workout to start your training.  Make sure to ramp up slowly.

@Nicole - way to go, girl!!!  Sometimes guys just don't get the hint.  LOL

@Gretchen - I think I need to borrow that diet...that's an awesome weight loss and I'll bet it's where you would want to lose the lb's, too.  Good luck on the taper.

Still progressing on my recovery though we've had a little complication as my body seems to be rejected/fighting either the sutures or the durabond surgical glue, so I have hives.  My doctor gave my hydroxyzine, which is basically Benadryl on steroids, and it knocked. me. out.  So, I can't take it during the day but it seems to have taken the "edge" off. 

I've been working like 5-6 hours/day and trying to get in a quick nap or least lie down for an hour during the day, which is helping also.  I bagged my treadmill walking until this hives thing resolves - no hurry, right.  I still walk up and down the stairs like 30 times/day and I walk the 100 yards to the mailbox.  LOL

Happy Friday!

1) Dude bailed last night :-/ said he wasn't feeling well, but at no point even acknowledged that it meant cancelling plans. We'll see what happens next, but the ball is in his court now.

2) I was given hydroxyzine once. My doctor told me (promised me, really) it wouldn't cause drowsiness, so I took it and went back to work. HUGE MISTAKE! When I googled it, it said something like "often used as a sedative." I had to force myself to stay awake while I made my 45 minute long commute home. Long story short, I totally feel your pain! Hope your hives resolve soon!
2017-02-03 9:43 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

ON - Terribly sorry to hear.  There is a lot going around right now.  I'm the only one in my family not sick.  Hopefully this weekend is better!

Mike - Sorry to hear about the setback.  Glad to hear you're taking it in good spirits though!  Plus it's only February so you can turn this thing around and think about a race later in the season right?

Bike - finally figured out how to resize a photo.  Here's the new one, before the aerobars.  I'll have to get an aerobar shot too.

(20170117_095403_550_412.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
20170117_095403_550_412.jpg (95KB - 1 downloads)
2017-02-03 12:28 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Gorgeous bike, John!
2017-02-03 2:12 PM
in reply to: #5212469

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
DQ--Check out Whole30. I just finished the month challenge. Your PT's plan seems very similar. Even if you don't opt to do the challenge, the website (and book, even more so) is a great resource for ideas for what you CAN eat.

2017-02-03 2:15 PM
in reply to: #5212529

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Very late start for me this morning. I got up at 5am, but when I left the bathroom, instead of going left toward the kitchen, I turned right back to the bed. Then, I slept soundly until 9am. Guess I needed a bit more sleep.

Did manage to get in a short trainer ride around noon, followed by some yoga.
2017-02-04 7:45 AM

User image

New user
Madrid
 Here's the new one, before the aerobars.  

Niiiiiice bike! Strong motivation for outdoor rides

1.15h run in cold, windy morning...but did it!

Juan
2017-02-04 7:47 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

New user
Madrid
Your recovery sounds like a training plan! - glad to hear all going well (just minor issues with the stiches, so you have some stories to tell your grandsons....) - hope to see you back to training soon.

Juan
2017-02-04 7:49 AM

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Guess I needed a bit more sleep.

There is TV campaign right now from an insurance company suggesting to sleep 1 more hour per day to improve our health, we seem to be sleep deprived... not sure it will work specially here where we have dinner at 10pm

Juan
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  

of 76

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31

Started by k9car363
Views: 41372 Posts: 762

2017-12-31 8:50 PM k9car363

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 29, 2016
author : CoachSarah
comments : 3
Learn how to prepare and avoid the cold water freak-out

date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.