BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete - Always OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2018-03-26 8:43 AM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Cypress, Texas
Subject: RE: Weight Loss Challenge

I was up another pound this week. 

I haven't been focusing on weight loss for the past 2-3 weeks, but I really though I would be down this time due to where i stood earlier in the week.

My total training time was 621 minutes. 

This was my first week to hit 600 minutes since I started Triathlon 3-1/2 years ago.  I worked 8 months getting in shape for my first Triathlon and my volume goal was to get up to 600 minutes in my peak week the month before my race.  I however had excessive fatigue at my 550 hour week and had to cut things back rather than surge forward with my plans for a 600 minute weeks. 

I had my second outdoor ride of the year on Saturday.  It was my 4th time outside with bike shoes, my first time outside with a cadence monitor, and my first time outside with a reliable Heart Rate Monitor reading since my previous GPS watch fell of the bike when I was going 20+ MPH and stopped reading the Heart Rate two years ago.  So It was fun adjusting to new tools and was fun being outside in beautiful weather. 

Weight gain: 1.0 lbs

Work out minutes:  621 mins

2018-03-26 10:06 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri
Subject: RE: Lavaman Tri in the books

Originally posted by lutzman All done. It was a decent day for me as I was right on my goal for the race. I was looking for 2:40...and I hit 2:40 and change. I finished 8th in my AG overall out of the 45 that were signed up to race. Just about where I thought I could be when I started training in December. It was so much fun to be out racing again. The final race results aren't up yet. I'll put together a full report once the times are official. Best, Steve

Congratulations on nailing your time!  Looking forward to the race report!

2018-03-26 10:13 AM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Expert
Missouri

Bad week overall for me .  I'm up 2 #'s and missed a lot of my workouts.

S - 1:24
B - 1:31
R - :20
Y - :30

I think the weight gain was a combination of over-celebrating my husband's birthday, stress from my dad being in the hospital and not getting my workouts in (lots of calories in but very few calories out).  I'm not sure this week will be much better but I'm trying to be optimistic.  It would really help if we could get some decent weather.  Temps will be a little better but rain/thunderstorms for most of the week.  

Janet

2018-03-26 12:26 PM
in reply to: soccermom15

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Hi all, nice to catch up on posts.

Have not fully caught up to the organization I had before the flu, such as checking in on BT.

Have been working out, slow and steady, to the point where I can't see being ready June 16 for my HIM. Doing a recovery week and which I hate taking, but hope it will help with weird sharp ankle pains from running. Just got back in the pool working on TI two beat kick with good body rotation.

Trying to trust the program,cut don't understand the one I'm using never goes over 2 hours of running or 3 hours of cycling. Based on my pace that isn't close to the time I'll actually be doing in the race.

Happy training!
Mitzi

And I have been recording my food on myfitnesspal and am down 2 pounds. Guess it will add up. Would be nice to be down 10 more pounds by June, but am keeping it to 300 calorie daily deficit.
2018-03-26 3:22 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cypress, Texas
Subject: Bike Cadence

Scott, et al,

I have a question about bike cadence. 

My cycling background is that I have a newspaper delivery route for 4 years.  It was about a 5 mile route and I delivered it on by bike every day with 50 lbs of New papers on front handle bars of a mountain bike.  I wasn't aero, and I wasn't fast.  During this time my scout troop did the cycling merit badge whihc require five (5) 25 mile rides and one (1) 50 mile ride.  On one of these rides I rode along my next door neighbor who had a 21 speed street bike with toe clips.  Next to the rest of us riding 10 speed mountain bikes with platform pedals he was in a l category of his own. of his own.  My my heavy bike with lots of drag I was used to peddling at a low cadence with high Watts.  I remember riding along the 21 speed street bike during one of our rides and the two us us were going the same speed side by size but I was doing about 60 RPM and the other guy was doing about 120 RPM.  He might have not been that fast by it sure seemed like he was spinning twice for every one of my revolutions.  I learned when I started doing triathlons that low RPM with high watts was not recommended for endurance races.  I counted my RPM on a flate road in the middle of a ride when I was going at my typical cadance and my RPM was in the 75 RPM range.  I worked on increasing my RPM for the past three years, but Saturday was my first outdorr ride with a cadence sensor.  Everytime I looked down my cadence was over 95 RPM.  Often it was 105 RPM or higher.  It felt like the same way I have been riding outside for two years so I am guessing that my effor to quicken my cadence everytime I am out has been making a difference.  I basically drop the gears until can spin as fast as possible with out feeling burn in the quads.  I didn't want to contrain my style too much with the cadence meter my first time out but towards the end of the ride I experimented with down shifting any time the RPM got over 95 and my BPM was under my target range max HR, and shifting up any time  my RPM got under 85 RPM .  I would pedal faster or slower depending on where my HR was with regards to my target HR zones.

So  is an arbitrary 85-95 RPM target the best way of doing things?  is the 95+ RPM better?  Should I just go it blind for a little longer to see where my natural cadence is.  

Edited by BlueBoy26 2018-03-26 3:22 PM
2018-03-26 4:12 PM
in reply to: k9car363

New user
Wauwatosa, WI
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete - Always OPEN
Just got back from California- I'm not going to lie, it was nice!

Last 2 weeks of training

3-12 to 3-19 No weight loss (March Madness Fun), 6 hours training
3-19 to 3-26, gained 2 lbs (Vacation), 6 hours training

I start working with a Nutritionist next week, and will have to start logging and weighing all of my food. That really doesn't sound like fun to me- but I am told it really works.

2018-03-26 4:18 PM
in reply to: #5231907

, Indiana
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete - Always OPEN
I’m sorry I haven’t been on in awhile but I only have one word to describe how things have been going this last week and a half. GOUT
2018-03-26 4:19 PM

New user
Wauwatosa, WI
Originally posted by lutzman

All done. It was a decent day for me as I was right on my goal for the race. I was looking for 2:40...and I hit 2:40 and change. I finished 8th in my AG overall out of the 45 that were signed up to race. Just about where I thought I could be when I started training in December.

It was so much fun to be out racing again.

The final race results aren't up yet. I'll put together a full report once the times are official.

Best,

Steve

Nice Race - It sounds like a fantastic trip!
2018-03-26 7:45 PM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

User image

New user

So I'm trying really hard not to get frustrated but I'm the queen of plateaus. In everything, my training times and my weight. LOL
It was an odd week cause I have a friend who is starting a run routine, so I switched my days around so that I could run with her once a week. It was really nice to get out and run in a park though! She loves parks and I usually just hit the neighborhood.

weight stayed the same 148 lb
strength 120 min
swim 130 min
run 148 min

have a good week everyone
2018-03-26 11:28 PM
in reply to: Onurleft20

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

I've been slacking off for a couple weeks.  Barely swimming or running but still cycling.

My week stats were:

No change in weight!

Swim 14:38 (I'm embarrassed just reporting it)

Bike 260.9

Total 275:32 = 4.59 hours

2018-03-27 1:33 AM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Weight loss - 1.2 pounds

Workout Totals -

Swim - 6.3

Cycling - 5.2

Running - 2.7

Total - 14.2 hours (852 minutes)

2018-03-27 3:28 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Bike Cadence

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

Scott, et al,

My cycling background is that I have a newspaper delivery route for 4 years.  It was about a 5 mile route and I delivered it on by bike every day with 50 lbs of New papers on front handle bars of a mountain bike.  I wasn't aero, and I wasn't fast.  During this time my scout troop did the cycling merit badge whihc require five (5) 25 mile rides and one (1) 50 mile ride.  On one of these rides I rode along my next door neighbor who had a 21 speed street bike with toe clips.  Next to the rest of us riding 10 speed mountain bikes with platform pedals he was in a l category of his own. of his own.  My my heavy bike with lots of drag I was used to peddling at a low cadence with high Watts.  I remember riding along the 21 speed street bike during one of our rides and the two us us were going the same speed side by size but I was doing about 60 RPM and the other guy was doing about 120 RPM.  He might have not been that fast by it sure seemed like he was spinning twice for every one of my revolutions.  I learned when I started doing triathlons that low RPM with high watts was not recommended for endurance races.  I counted my RPM on a flate road in the middle of a ride when I was going at my typical cadance and my RPM was in the 75 RPM range.  I worked on increasing my RPM for the past three years, but Saturday was my first outdorr ride with a cadence sensor.  Everytime I looked down my cadence was over 95 RPM.  Often it was 105 RPM or higher.  It felt like the same way I have been riding outside for two years so I am guessing that my effor to quicken my cadence everytime I am out has been making a difference.  I basically drop the gears until can spin as fast as possible with out feeling burn in the quads.  I didn't want to contrain my style too much with the cadence meter my first time out but towards the end of the ride I experimented with down shifting any time the RPM got over 95 and my BPM was under my target range max HR, and shifting up any time  my RPM got under 85 RPM .  I would pedal faster or slower depending on where my HR was with regards to my target HR zones.

So  is an arbitrary 85-95 RPM target the best way of doing things?  is the 95+ RPM better?  Should I just go it blind for a little longer to see where my natural cadence is.

Curtis,

Good questions!

I'm going to answer this (or try to answer this) in terms of power because it's easier to "see" it when talking about power.  Obviously the same theory applies regardless of how you are conducting your training or race (power/HR/RPE).

Anyone who has ridden a multi-gear bike knows you can achieve the same speed (power) by turning a very big gear slowly, or turning a smaller gear more quickly.  That's the crux of your question - which is better.  In the simplest terms, when we are riding a bike, we are turning the pedals to move the bike forward - we are applying force to the pedals.  Our output power (watts) is torque (the force on the pedals) times the rotational speed (cadence).  A lower cadence equals a higher force on the pedals which requires more fast-twitch muscle recruitment while a higher cadence equals lower force and greater slow-twitch muscle fiber recruitment.  To see this in a very simplistic example, imagine you are riding along pushing 250 watts - at a cadence of 60 you would be generating 4.16 watts per revolution, while at 100 RPM you'd be generating 2.5 watts per revolution.  For those of you that don't have a power meter, the same theory applies.  A power meter merely provides a way that we can quantify the work being done.  If you are going the same speed, you will recruit more fast-twitch muscle fibers at a lower cadence and more slow-twitch muscle fibers at a higher cadence.

So, what does that mean?  Fast-twitch muscle fiber uses carbohydrate for fuel - glycogen - and quickly fatigues; while slow-twitch muscle fiber utilizes fat for fuel and has much more resistance to fatigue.  A higher cadence will “burn fewer matches” and place more stress on your cardiovascular system (at the same power/speed, you will have a slightly higher HR at a higher cadence), while cycling at a lower cadence stresses your muscular strength and depletes your glycogen stores more rapidly (burning matches).  While there are conflicting studies on which cadence is "best," if you look to the pro-peleton you will see that most professional bike riders prefer a higher cadence.

It's worth mentioning that a new rider will generally be more efficient at a lower cadence.  It takes energy to raise and lower the legs with each pedal stroke.  When a rider is generating lower power and turning the pedals rapidly there is a significant energy cost to simply raise and lower the legs.  As a rider gains experience and is riding with higher average power (higher speed), they will begin to gain efficiency by increasing their cadence.

The so-called experts generally state a cadence of 80-100 is optimal.  The best cadence for a triathlete is the one that allows you to run most effectively off of the bike.  This is fairly easy to determine in training - simply do repetitions of a 20/2 race-pace brick.  One day do a 20-mile ride at race pace using a low cadence, then immediately run off the bike for two miles.  The next week, repeat the 20-mile race-pace ride using a higher cadence and again immediately run off  the bike for two miles.  Those two workouts will likely give you a pretty good idea which is best for you.

When you introduce hills to the equation, the calculus becomes more clear.  Go back to what I said earlier about power is torque times cadence.  Obviously, going up a hill requires a greater effort.  If we raise our cadence, we effectively lower the force required.  For a more visual reference - imagine you're riding along at 250 watts and come to a hill.  As you begin to climb the hill, your speed drops while your power output rises to 300 watts.  At 60 RPM that's 5 watts per revolution, while at 100 RPM it's 3 watts per revolution - 2 watts less per revolution.  Clearly less force per pedal stroke at the higher cadence.  The steeper the hill and the higher the power required to get up the hill, the more you will benefit from a higher cadence - this is where having the right gears for a particular race becomes important.

I generally tell the athletes I work with to not be overly concerned with cadence if they are generally within the 80-100 range.  Most athletes will naturally arrive at the best cadence for them and their particular fitness/experience level.  If you find yourself regularly outside the 80-100 range by a wide margin, I'd encourage you to experiment a little bit.  Do the workouts I suggested to see if there is a noticeable difference in your ability to run off the bike.  The very best thing to do is vary your cadence in training so you become comfortable across a wide cadence range.  As you do that, it will become clear where your cadence "sweet-spot" is.

2018-03-27 12:49 PM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Scott:

My workout total for the week, which includes my race was 6 hours, 53 minutes.

Swim--1:43
Bike--2:38
Run--2:32

Now I'm off to the ocean for my last swim here. Home tomorrow.

Steve
2018-03-27 10:00 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by k9car363

....I generally tell the athletes I work with to not be overly concerned with cadence if they are generally within the 80-100 range.  Most athletes will naturally arrive at the best cadence for them and their particular fitness/experience level.  If you find yourself regularly outside the 80-100 range by a wide margin, I'd encourage you to experiment a little bit.  Do the workouts I suggested to see if there is a noticeable difference in your ability to run off the bike.  The very best thing to do is vary your cadence in training so you become comfortable across a wide cadence range.  As you do that, it will become clear where your cadence "sweet-spot" is.

Thanks Scott!  My experience in the past is that I run fine of the bike in training (Cadence???) but when I get the races running off the bike is much more difficult. 

Saturday's 3 miles off the bike after 2-1/2 hr ride at close to race pace was the first run in training that has felt like I feel running off the bike in races.

Despite seeing my cadence at 100 RPM+ every time I looked down in the first 10 miles I did see in my work out data that my average pace was only 88 RPM so I must have settle in after I got going. That I and I knew I made an effort to slow things down at the end of the work out. 

I will experiment with cadences and see what I learn.  :-)

2018-03-28 8:39 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri
Subject: RE: Swim test

I did an STP test at the pool this morning.  I wasn't too sure how it would go after being sick yesterday, but it went OK.  I also thought I might struggle a bit with the 400 since I've been doing mostly just 50's & 100's during my swims, but once I got going it wasn't bad at all.  400 time was 8:38, 200 time was 4:12 which (if my math is correct ) gives me an STP of 2:13 - right about where I expected it to be.  It's good to know the actual number though so I can adjust my workouts a bit.  I felt like I was getting a little too much rest between 100's when I was using 2:45 sendoffs.  This will drop me to 2:35-2:40 sendoffs depending on the workout.  Only 6 more weeks until my Oly so I need to step up the swim workouts.  

Janet

2018-03-28 10:24 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by lutzman

All done. It was a decent day for me as I was right on my goal for the race. I was looking for 2:40...and I hit 2:40 and change.

Steve,

Well done!

(5a1c265fb6932.image.png)

Attachments
----------------
5a1c265fb6932.image.png (165KB - 2 downloads)

2018-03-28 10:48 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Weight-loss/Workout Challenge Weigh-In Day

A day late, sorry!  Here's the updated "Weight-Loss/Workout Challenge" points.

(0327.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
0327.jpg (78KB - 4 downloads)
2018-03-28 11:02 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

....I generally tell the athletes I work with to not be overly concerned with cadence if they are generally within the 80-100 range.  Most athletes will naturally arrive at the best cadence for them and their particular fitness/experience level.  If you find yourself regularly outside the 80-100 range by a wide margin, I'd encourage you to experiment a little bit.  Do the workouts I suggested to see if there is a noticeable difference in your ability to run off the bike.  The very best thing to do is vary your cadence in training so you become comfortable across a wide cadence range.  As you do that, it will become clear where your cadence "sweet-spot" is.

Thanks Scott!  My experience in the past is that I run fine of the bike in training (Cadence???) but when I get the races running off the bike is much more difficult

Saturday's 3 miles off the bike after 2-1/2 hr ride at close to race pace was the first run in training that has felt like I feel running off the bike in races.

Despite seeing my cadence at 100 RPM+ every time I looked down in the first 10 miles I did see in my work out data that my average pace was only 88 RPM so I must have settle in after I got going. That I and I knew I made an effort to slow things down at the end of the work out. 

I will experiment with cadences and see what I learn.  :-)

There's a couple reasons for that.  Quite often, athletes don't do run bricks off of race pace rides or longer rides.  It's one thing to run off of a 60-minute 70% ride, it's another thing entirely to run off of a 2-3 hour 80% ride.  The other contributing factor is that during training, the focus is typically on achieving the target output - be it power, HR, or RPE.  During a race, it's quite easy to get caught up in everyone else's race and ride harder than the plan.  Add to that race day adrenaline and it's very easy to "overcook" the bike which results in a difficult run.

There are two keys to combating that.  First is to form a race pacing strategy BEFORE race day and STICK TO IT during the race.  Second, I say all the time - nothing new on race day.  This includes doing run bricks following a race pace ride in training to confirm race day bike pacing.  In a very real sense, your training should be harder than anything you will ever experience on race day (except crazy weather conditions, etc.).  If you approach training that way, race day will simply be an extension of training and you will KNOW what to expect at each stage of the race.

2018-03-28 1:43 PM

User image

Regular

Scott, et al,

Curtis,

Good questions!

I'm going to answer this (or try to answer this) in terms of power because it's easier to "see" it when talking about power. 

It's worth mentioning that a new rider will generally be more efficient at a lower cadence.  The very best thing to do is vary your cadence in training so you become comfortable across a wide cadence range.  As you do that, it will become clear where your cadence "sweet-spot" is.

Scott:

I think this advice is right on. And your explanation is excellent. Not having a cycling background, I discovered what you're talking about but I actually wondered if maybe I was "doing it wrong." I just went out and rode by feel, trying to find the "sweet spot" where I could maintain the highest speed at the lowest effort. I didn't have a cadence counter. The first few races I entered I noticed that my cadence seemed to be higher than the other competitors around me. I was a rookie so I figured everyone else must know what they are doing so I should copy them. I would shift down to a tougher gear to lower my cadence while maintaining the same effort. I couldn't do it. It not only felt more difficult but my speed began to drop. Screw that, boom, back to the higher cadence spin.

Even at the race this past Sunday I noticed that nearly all of the people I passed had a much lower cadence.. And the guys that zoomed past me were really turning it over. On hills, some of the slow folks were probably not turning 60 RPM.

When I look at my Garmin from the race, my cadence was mostly right at 90-92. Generally, it went up slightly as I pushed up the hills. For the 40k, I averaged 88, which accounts for a long no passing zone at the turnaround and coasting into the transition.

For me, I generally don't like to be over 100. It feels like I'm putting too much effort into the turnover.

Good stuff. Thanks, Scott.

Best,

Steve
2018-03-29 12:08 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Lavaman Race Report
Well, my first triathlon in two years is done. Hard to believe it's been that long. It's great to be back in the saddle.

Lavaman is a well-organized race at a beautiful location. If you have the inkling to go to the Big Island for a triathlon, I highly recommend it. It's a great place for a vacation with a race thrown in for good measure. Be aware: the race sells out every year in about 30 days or less once they open the registration process. So if you every wanted to ride the Queen K Highway and/or have any thoughts of doing it, you'll need to be checking the Lavaman website by May for the 2019 race. Wait till June, and the spots will probably be sold out. If you do go, go early. The heat and humidity is quite a shock for those of us coming from northern latitude locations. You’ll be glad to have the time to acclimate.

Best part: Swimming in the ocean with the turtles…saw them everyday on practice swims
Worst part: Expensive location/distance

Weather for the race was near perfect. It was overcast, so we avoided the heat from direct sunlight that not only cooks the skin but also raises the temperature for the run off the blacktop and lava. I've done this race twice before and both times the run was pretty brutal. This year, it was 75 degrees with heavy cloud cover. Glorious conditions for racing.

Overall, I was happy with my race. I was shooting for 2:40 and that's what I hit. I was 7th in my AG out of 41 finishers. Based on the USA Triathlon rankings that I reviewed pre-race, that was pretty close to where I thought I could finish. There were at least 3 guys registered that are crazy fast and my only hope to finish ahead of them would have been to cut the course! The 60-64 AG winner was 2nd at the World Championships a couple years ago…a great athlete and true freak of nature.

My swim went reasonably well. The official clock has my time at a bit over 30 minutes which was 14/41…solidly in the MOP. That can be improved. That time includes about 100 yards of beach running to get to the timing mat. I hit my watch at the start and as I came out of the water. It showed 28:30. Not great, but pretty close to the 1:45/100 pace that I thought I could hold based on my training. The rollers and whitecaps were stronger than I thought they would be on the way out which was a bit intimidating, but those same rollers were like swimming downhill on the way back. Water was reasonably clear and I even spotted a turtle feeding on the reef as I swam by. For some reason (at least according to my Garmin) I swam kind of a crazy route on the way back doing a zig-zag…so a little work on siting is probably in line.

I was pretty happy with my bike ride. I felt like 1:15 would be a good time (and what I needed to hit my 2:40 overall goal) and I came in at 1:14 which was 11/41. My cadence was strong and steady. The only thing holding me back is fitness and that will come through time.

The run was challenging, but the overcast day saved my bacon. It was hot and humid but at least no sun. My goal was 52 and I came in at just under 51 which was 9/41. I think I pretty much ran to my current potential, so no issues there. More speed work is needed (and less weight) to raise my VO2 Max.

Transitions were fine. T1 was 6/41 and T2 was also 6/41. I can get faster, but it’s a good starting point.

One great lesson: Don’t quit till you hit the finish line. I snuck my way into 7th place by blasting past two guys right at the finish line. I was catching them for the last ¼ mile and they didn’t seem to be picking it up at all so I began pushing the effort to see if I could catch them. As we approached the finish I went into a sprint (such as it is for an old guy) and I managed to pass them both. Turns out both of those guys were in my AG. I talked to one of the guys after the race and he said he just wasn’t focused at the end which opened the door to get caught.

All in all a lot of fun and a nice reward for solid training since December.

Best,

Steve

2018-03-29 4:09 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Hi everyone.It was just brought to my attention there's an error in the points. Apparently I applied workout minutes and weight change on the wrong person.Our power is out right now (writing this on my phone) so I'll get it corrected as soon as I can.Sorry 'bout that!

Edited by k9car363 2018-03-29 4:09 PM

2018-03-30 9:06 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Let's try this again.

(0327.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
0327.jpg (77KB - 4 downloads)
2018-03-30 11:28 AM

, Indiana
Things have not been going that well for me. After a few tests they realize its not gout but bursitis in my left heal. Ive been through a lot when it comes to pain but I have never felt anything like this. After 3 days in bed I'm finally able to move around a little. So Im hoping that after a few more days of rest I will be able to at least do something physical. Im trying not to get discouraged here. I guess thats part of getting a little older.
2018-03-30 12:00 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Originally posted by BakerBryanThings have not been going that well for me. After a few tests they realize its not gout but bursitis in my left heal. Ive been through a lot when it comes to pain but I have never felt anything like this. After 3 days in bed I'm finally able to move around a little. So Im hoping that after a few more days of rest I will be able to at least do something physical. Im trying not to get discouraged here. I guess thats part of getting a little older.
Hey Bryan.Sorry to hear you've got "stuff" going on. Having been through medic setbacks myself I can say staying positive helps as this too shall pass. I know it may not seem like that at the moment but it will get better. I discovered you can get a good workout in without leaving the couch with only a can of corn - or dumbbells if you have them. Curls, tricept extensions, lateral raises, shoulder shrugs, flys, rows - that can all be done sitting on the couch. You can turn what seems like a negative into a positive and feel like your doing something.Good luck and hope you're feeling better soon.

Edited by k9car363 2018-03-30 12:01 PM
2018-03-30 4:05 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Easter Weekend Testing
Happy Easter Everyone!

Hopefully, you've got a great weekend planned.

My goal for the weekend is to set benchmarks for threshold pacing. I didn't see much point in doing these tests when I started working out in December because I knew my fitness was near zero. Testing would have only confirmed I was, in fact, slow and fat. I suppose it would have been good to have these early fitness markers set, but with no ability to do anything in the way of high intensity training I just decided it was one less thing to worry about. With four months of training now behind me, it's important now to get my threshold paces established so I can really begin to dial in my training paces, adjust my HR training zones and properly set intervals for run, bike and swim.

So, my first goal for today is to put my bike back together. It's still in my bike box in pieces from the airline flight back from Hawaii early on Thursday. (BTW Scott, Alaska Airlines didn't charge me a dime both ways to check my bike box as one of my two free checked bags.) Assuming the bike assembly goes well, then tomorrow I'll work on my 20 minute aerobic threshold testing and a five minute aerobic capacity test. Since I have a power meter on my bike, I'll be able to document my functional threshold power as well as my current functional threshold pace. I haven't really trained much since the race on Sunday, so I'll be fresh for testing.

I'll hit the pool Saturday afternoon and complete the two swim threshold tests that Scott laid out a couple weeks ago here: http://bscmultisport.com/blog/2017/05/22/how-to-determine-your-swim...

Sunday I hope to complete the running threshold tests.

Once I have the data recorded I'll have a basis for measuring improvements in fitness over the summer as well as my benchmarks for setting intensity goals for building various workouts in the weeks to come.

Hope you have a great Easter weekend!

Steve

Edited by lutzman 2018-03-30 4:07 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete - Always OPEN Rss Feed  

of 29

RELATED POSTS

My Year to Tri (Beginner and Intermediate Group) - OPEN Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by SrhJarvis
Views: 9840 Posts: 78

2018-08-28 12:53 PM riles32807

sdalcher Beginning Tri Group - Open

Started by sdalcher
Views: 1016 Posts: 4

2018-04-04 7:28 PM leatherneckpa

Baowolf's Life Balance Group.. (OPEN!) Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by Baowolf