BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 383

2009-07-31 9:10 AM
in reply to: #2319141

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN Mentor Group-Closed! KEEP ASKING QUESTIONS!!!
sdalessio - 2009-07-31 8:01 AM So work food update ...

Yesterday AM - Krispy Kreme breakfast.  I took my yogurt and no donuts although the smell was overwhelmingly good when I walked in.

Lunch - small basket of yummy cookies, blondies, lemon bars, etc..  I picked up an extra half of sandwich and made it out of the lunch meeting unscathed.

3pm Birthday cupcakes - at 2pm I was starving so I grabbed a skim Misto from Starbucks (about 90 cal/0 fat) and a peach.  I walked into the office where those little buggers sat and stared at them the whole time.  Amazingly I wasn't hungry (which didn't necessarily stop me in the past) but also I DID NOT want one.  I couldn't believe.  It wasn't even hard to avoid the temptation. 

I'm not sure what happened to me.  I must be getting sick.  I even avoided the cupcakes the kids made a home.  Tony and I went out to a late light dinner and finished the meal w/ a bowl of 3 golf ball size scopps of gelato.  It was tasty and satisfying and a very respectable size.  I ate it b/c I wanted to enjoy a treat not b/c I saved myself for it or felt it was ok b/c I had avoided the other stuff.

Anyway we'll see if it's a turning point or just a fluke.  Smile

Wow great will power Sam! Where do you work? You must work with alot of overwieght people if this is the norm! We get a bunch of stuff around here too, birthdays,etc. But that was one big day for you!

2009-07-31 9:16 AM
in reply to: #2319151

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
tahrens - 2009-07-31 8:05 AM Since we are being very productive this morning....here are a few more great movie quotes.  See if you can identify them.

1.  If you have any problems, dial information. Thank you for calling.

2. The twins keep us on Centarian time. It's a 37 hour day. Give it a few months, you'll get used to it, or you'll have a psychotic episode.

3. Think big, think positive. Never show any signs of weakness.  Always go for the throat. Buy low, sell high.  Fear...that's the other guy's problem.

4. Wake up!  Wake up Limy fish!

5. Murdock......I'm coming to get you!

6.  It feels like warm apple pie.

7.  What's taters precious?

8. I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse.

9. Do you like movies about gladiators?

10.  I've got a bad feeling about this.

heres my shot.....
3, trading places
4. dont remember it, but im guessing nemo
6. has to be american pie
8. godfather
10. star wars

thats all i got
2009-07-31 9:18 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
tahrens - 2009-07-31 9:05 AM Since we are being very productive this morning....here are a few more great movie quotes.  See if you can identify them.

2. The twins keep us on Centarian time. It's a 37 hour day. Give it a few months, you'll get used to it, or you'll have a psychotic episode.

3. Think big, think positive. Never show any signs of weakness.  Always go for the throat. Buy low, sell high.  Fear...that's the other guy's problem.

Godfather

9. Do you like movies about gladiators? Airplane!

I must suck at this or our tastes are very different because the rest are a blank for me.

Doug
2009-07-31 9:20 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
sdalessio - 2009-07-31 9:01 AM So work food update ...

Yesterday AM - Krispy Kreme breakfast.  I took my yogurt and no donuts although the smell was overwhelmingly good when I walked in.

Lunch - small basket of yummy cookies, blondies, lemon bars, etc..  I picked up an extra half of sandwich and made it out of the lunch meeting unscathed.

3pm Birthday cupcakes - at 2pm I was starving so I grabbed a skim Misto from Starbucks (about 90 cal/0 fat) and a peach.  I walked into the office where those little buggers sat and stared at them the whole time.  Amazingly I wasn't hungry (which didn't necessarily stop me in the past) but also I DID NOT want one.  I couldn't believe.  It wasn't even hard to avoid the temptation. 

I'm not sure what happened to me.  I must be getting sick.  I even avoided the cupcakes the kids made a home.  Tony and I went out to a late light dinner and finished the meal w/ a bowl of 3 golf ball size scopps of gelato.  It was tasty and satisfying and a very respectable size.  I ate it b/c I wanted to enjoy a treat not b/c I saved myself for it or felt it was ok b/c I had avoided the other stuff.

Sam

My trick was to tell myself that this will not be the last time I will have a chance to eat [whatever it is]. That works unless it is something rare. It sounds like your workplace has this stuff very regularly, so you truly will have other opportunities to eat sweets, so maybe that mindset will help you pass it by. Good luck and good job.
2009-07-31 9:27 AM
in reply to: #2319170

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
TrevorC - 2009-07-31 9:10 AM

Wow great will power Sam! Where do you work? You must work with alot of overwieght people if this is the norm! We get a bunch of stuff around here too, birthdays,etc. But that was one big day for you!

Thanks - In my small group of 13, there are 9 women and 2 men.  I rank about 10th from light to heavy.  Most of women are size 6 and below.  Now the rest of the association - that is a different story.  ;-)
2009-07-31 9:29 AM

User image

Expert
tahrens - 2009-07-31 9:05 AM Since we are being very productive this morning....here are a few more great movie quotes.  See if you can identify them.

9. Do you like movies about gladiators?

Wow you stumped me other than the quotes that have already been noted.  I need to send this list to my brother-in-law.  We joke that he has more useless knowledge floating around in his head than anyone else that we know.  Laughing

2009-07-31 9:32 AM

User image

Champion
marietta
sdalessio - 2009-07-31 9:01 AM So work food update ...

OUTSTANDING!  Its a turning point, why, because you know it is in your mind and the mental game is the hardest part of the battle... right!  Fall back on you triathlon experience here! 

Great job cupcake!! 
2009-07-31 9:34 AM
in reply to: #2319189

User image

Champion
marietta
DougRob - 2009-07-31 9:18 AM

Godfather

9. Do you like movies about gladiators? Airplane!

I must suck at this or our tastes are very different because the rest are a blank for me.

Doug

well you're two up on me so you can't suck that bad.
2009-07-31 9:36 AM
in reply to: #2319211

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
sdalessio - 2009-07-31 8:27 AM
TrevorC - 2009-07-31 9:10 AM

Thanks - In my small group of 13, there are 9 women and 2 men.  I rank about 10th from light to heavy.  Most of women are size 6 and below.  Now the rest of the association - that is a different story.  ;-)

What are the other 2?
2009-07-31 9:46 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
tahrens - 2009-07-31 10:05 AM Since we are being very productive this morning....here are a few more great movie quotes.  See if you can identify them.

1.  If you have any problems, dial information. Thank you for calling.  Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

2. The twins keep us on Centarian time. It's a 37 hour day. Give it a few months, you'll get used to it, or you'll have a psychotic episode.  Men in Black

3. Think big, think positive. Never show any signs of weakness.  Always go for the throat. Buy low, sell high.  Fear...that's the other guy's problem. Trading Places

4. Wake up!  Wake up Limy fish!  A Fish Called Wonda

5. Murdock......I'm coming to get you!  Rambo II

6.  It feels like warm apple pie.  American Pie

7.  What's taters precious?   Lord of the Rings - The Two Towers

8. I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse.  The Godfather

9. Do you like movies about gladiators?  Airplane

10.  I've got a bad feeling about this. Star Wars

Wow, you guys don't have nearly enough useless information in your brains.  I guess I should have done all Disney quotes. 
2009-07-31 9:55 AM
in reply to: #2319241

User image

Champion
marietta
TrevorC - 2009-07-31 9:36 AM

What are the other 2?

LMFAO!!! NICE CATCH TREVOR!!

2009-07-31 9:56 AM
in reply to: #2319284

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
tahrens - 2009-07-31 10:46 AM
tahrens - 2009-07-31 10:05 AM Since we are being very productive this morning....here are a few more great movie quotes.  See if you can identify them.

1.  If you have any problems, dial information. Thank you for calling.  Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

2. The twins keep us on Centarian time. It's a 37 hour day. Give it a few months, you'll get used to it, or you'll have a psychotic episode.  Men in Black

3. Think big, think positive. Never show any signs of weakness.  Always go for the throat. Buy low, sell high.  Fear...that's the other guy's problem. Trading Places

Wow, you guys don't have nearly enough useless information in your brains.  I guess I should have done all Disney quotes. 

Just got back, sorry, I knew all but the one from A fish called wanda, never saw it.
2009-07-31 10:10 AM
in reply to: #2071255

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
you had me at hello
2009-07-31 10:24 AM
in reply to: #2319095

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

sdalessio - 2009-07-31 8:44 AM
tahrens - 2009-07-31 8:22 AM
fattyfatfat - 2009-07-31 8:26 AM
TrevorC - 2009-07-30 3:29 PM

I may be a dumb Canadian for asking, but who is Carl?

Nope, we can't chalk that one up to dumb Canadian's.  I had no idea either. Outside of Cars, Nemo, Monsters Inc., Ratatouille, etc... I might watch 3 movie's a year.  Must be nice to sit home Fall morning's and dream about cupcakes. ;-)

LOOKS LIKE WE'VE GOT A NODDER.....
JUST KEEP SWIMMING, JUST KEEP SWIMMING
MIKE WIZOWSKI ROCKS!!!

I really need to get out.  So Cars, Nemo, right?  But I'm not sure about the 3rd reference.

I've been caught quoting The Penguins of Madagascar at work twice this week.  I told a co-worker yesterday "That smells fishy" in reference to a partial invitee list of middle managers to a series of working group meetings.

Come on Sam - Monsters Inc....

2009-07-31 10:28 AM
in reply to: #2319326

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

dalessit - 2009-07-31 9:56 AM
tahrens - 2009-07-31 10:46 AM

Just got back, sorry, I knew all but the one from A fish called wanda, never saw it.

Tony - you have got to watch it!  If you like Monty Python style humor even just a little, it will keep you in stitches...

2009-07-31 11:01 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Hey Sam---Big thumbs up on the willpower.  The cupcakes would have had me, but I would probably just have eaten the frosting!

Survived the rehearsal last night, but got home too late.  I was dragging this morning, but ended up having a good long run despite myself.  Today's run was interesting, a long Tempo will hill repeats thrown in to help me build strength for my HIM run which is 13.1m of Heartbreak hill.....I am sure I will be tired later, but all I have to do is go to a wedding, give a toast, and then eat too much. All in a day's work. 

PS for those who are my facebook friends my account was hacked again.  If you get a weird message from me that I need money, I don't!

2009-07-31 11:18 AM

User image

Expert
B'ham

Hey guys, I still have a couple pages to read, but wanted to drop in before I have to run out to the kids' checkups

Good things about today:

• Five years ago today, my wife and I were married.  I can't believe she agreed to it, but am really glad she did.
  • Just had my annual review.  Went much better than expected - no raises for anyone this year, but I still have a job and my new boss is impressed with the work I've done.  Guess she's not monitoring my BT time

Not so good things today:

• Both kids have their routine checkups here in a bit and both are due for shots.  Should be a fun night in the Cadmus household.

2009-07-31 11:26 AM
in reply to: #2319609

User image

Expert
cadmus - 2009-07-31 11:18 AM

Hey guys, I still have a couple pages to read, but wanted to drop in before I have to run out to the kids' checkups

Good things about today:

• Five years ago today, my wife and I were married.  I can't believe she agreed to it, but am really glad she did.
  • Just had my annual review.  Went much better than expected - no raises for anyone this year, but I still have a job and my new boss is impressed with the work I've done.  Guess she's not monitoring my BT time

• Both kids have their routine checkups here in a bit and both are due for shots.  Should be a fun night in the Cadmus household.

Congrats on the anniversary and job news!

And don't you just love those checkups where they get shots!  Good luck.

2009-07-31 11:33 AM
in reply to: #2319627

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
sdalessio - 2009-07-31 11:26 AM

Good things about today:

Congrats on the anniversary and job news!

And don't you just love those checkups where they get shots!  Good luck.

Congrats Matt!  Hopefully you will have a chance to do something fun for your anniversary!
2009-07-31 11:36 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Question:  During my swim this morning I started feel some minor cramps in my right calf. Nothing that made me want to stop. The top of my left foot felt odd as well. I was supposed to swim 3250 yds. in 1' 5". At 45" I got a tremendous cramp in my left calf and had to float on my back as I tried to work it out and get to the side. I managed to get out and decided I would finish the 1000 uds before dinner tonight as I have 2 hours of bike to get through.

I took two Endurolyte capsules as soon as I got in the house this AM. I am assuming this is a nutrition thing (Suzy?) What should I be doing to prevent this? I am not talking during, although if there is something I can do please let me know, but rather what can I do as preventive maintenance? I do not want to experience anything like that in a longer tri.

Thanks,

Doug

P.S. If you include Sam in  her 13 person group at work then she was only one person short. Laughing
2009-07-31 11:42 AM

User image

Veteran
New York, New York
Congratulations Matt!  yay! and yay for still having a job.  This is what I keep saying to myself when I hate mine...

Looking to go back to grad school this fall though - don't know how this would affect my ability to tri ($$$)

Have a great day.  I hope the shots are fast as can be!

dbw27

2009-07-31 12:11 PM

User image

Congrats Matt - both the anniversary and the job.  

But man, I use to hate those annual kid checkups.  My husband and I would both go.  He would hold the kid and I would cry my eyes out...I cried more than the kids did.  In fact one time the nurse asked me if I was going to be ok.  It hurts me so much to see the little one(s) hurt.

Now days my daughter (5 yr) will tell you that you get shots for your birthday - from the doctor. 

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

And to everyone racing...Good luck and don't forget your race reports....we want all the details  Smile  Have fun out there!
2009-07-31 12:16 PM
in reply to: #2319650

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
DougRob - 2009-07-31 12:36 PM Question:  During my swim this morning I started feel some minor cramps in my right calf. Nothing that made me want to stop. The top of my left foot felt odd as well. I was supposed to swim 3250 yds. in 1' 5". At 45" I got a tremendous cramp in my left calf and had to float on my back as I tried to work it out and get to the side. I managed to get out and decided I would finish the 1000 uds before dinner tonight as I have 2 hours of bike to get through.

I took two Endurolyte capsules as soon as I got in the house this AM. I am assuming this is a nutrition thing (Suzy?) What should I be doing to prevent this? I am not talking during, although if there is something I can do please let me know, but rather what can I do as preventive maintenance? I do not want to experience anything like that in a longer tri.

Thanks,

Doug

P.S. If you include Sam in  her 13 person group at work then she was only one person short. Laughing

From everything I have felt and read if your legs are cramping up in the pool that tends to be from you being too tense and having your muscles tightened up when swimming.  Try making sure your legs are relaxed.  You might be trying to force yourself into this position =====  and to do it you might be tightening up the whole body.

Only other time I have had that in the pool is when I am trying to push off too hard from the wall over and over again, my calf can cramp up.
2009-07-31 12:27 PM
in reply to: #2319650

User image

Champion
marietta
DougRob - 2009-07-31 11:36 AM Question:  During my swim this morning I started feel some minor cramps in my right calf. Nothing that made me want to stop. The top of my left foot felt odd as well. I was supposed to swim 3250 yds. in 1' 5". At 45" I got a tremendous cramp in my left calf and had to float on my back as I tried to work it out and get to the side. I managed to get out and decided I would finish the 1000 uds before dinner tonight as I have 2 hours of bike to get through.

Thanks,

Doug

eat a banana before your swim

forget about those 1000 yards.  *whispering to self*   anal a$$ RPI grad.    *shakes head*
2009-07-31 12:28 PM
in reply to: #2319609

User image

Champion
marietta

Good things about today:

• Now friends with John from MG on FB

• Now friends with John from MG on FB

that's better.  CONGRATS!!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  

of 383