BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 298

2011-09-07 1:11 PM
in reply to: #3675873

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed
SSMinnow - 2011-09-07 9:05 AM

SSMinnow - 2011-09-07 4:26 AM Can it be?  Is it really Wednesday?  Must be time to talk about those big a$$ racing plans this weekend!  Who's got 'em?  Anyone?????

I have big bad weekend plans!  First, I get to pick up Twin from the airport tomorrow and meet her after being a virtual friend for what seems like years.....and then I get to spend a whole day doing what I love on the best course in the Midwest!!!!  IM Wisconsin here I come!  Race plans are set and weather is forecasted to be picture perfect.  Should be a bodacious day!

Good luck to you both!  We will be tracking your progress and cheering your success.

2011-09-07 1:22 PM
in reply to: #3675689

User image

Master
Tosa, WI

SSMinnow - 2011-09-07 4:26 AM Can it be?  Is it really Wednesday?  Must be time to talk about those big a$$ racing plans this weekend!  Who's got 'em?  Anyone?????

Not racing, but I have a date with 2 beautiful "Cougars" all day on Sunday.  The current plan is to have them give me their clothes around 6:30 am and then I plan on feeding them drinks early in the afternoon as they try to run away from me!!  

So excited I decided not to race myself on Saturday!  Actually, the family had other plans for me! 

Good luck to all the racers this weekend.  REPRESENT!  

2011-09-07 1:37 PM
in reply to: #3434069

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California

BIG weekend......Pac Grove Oly on Saturday, then most of Sunday pasted to my computer tracking the twins!!!  Can't Wait!!

Put my Zipps back on my bike today.....almost all by myself.....and felt so much faster!

2011-09-07 2:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

SSMinnow - 2011-09-07 5:26 AM Can it be?  Is it really Wednesday?  Must be time to talk about those big a$$ racing plans this weekend!  Who's got 'em?  Anyone?????

Nation's Tri (Oly) on Sunday.  With all the rain in DC over the past week, I am concerned that the race organizers will declare that the water quality is not good enough for the swim and it will be turned into a run-bike-run.  But c'est la vie.  Should be fun in any event.

And GOOD LUCK to all the MG'ers toeing the line this weekend.  REPRESENT.

2011-09-07 3:14 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco

SSMinnow - 2011-09-07 2:26 AM Can it be?  Is it really Wednesday?  Must be time to talk about those big a$$ racing plans this weekend!  Who's got 'em?  Anyone?????

First of all, good luck to all of our racers, let's see, I have Suzy, Doug, Bruce, David, Linda, William and of course DJ on her remembrance ride!!!

For me, it seems like this week would never get here and then suddenly, it's BOOM, get ready, this party is about to get started!  Honestly, when John twisted my rubber arm and signed me up for IMWI (thanks Fats!), I thought it's so far in the future, I'm not going to stress about it. 

And then after Boston, rides got longer, runs before work got earlier and earlier and then came the solstice and suddenly it was darker and darker when I would start, pool swims were crazy long and I was eating us out of house and home. 

And now here we are and I am ready to see what this IM day has in store for me.  I will try my best to execute my plan, but I will remember that at least 4 things have to go wrong...hopeful that I will be able to adapt, improvise and overcome!!!  I've had my share of things go wrong on rides (bonk, flat tire, bee sting!) and more recently the ankle sprain on my longest run, but everything is good and healed, I know how to change tires, fix dropped chains, I feel strong and ready! 

Thanks to all of you guys for your support and for sharing the wisdom and experience along the way!  Each time I hit a timing mat, I will let out an inner (and maybe outer) woo hoo...hope I have energy to do that.

Thanks to Suzy for all that you are about to undertake, I am VERY high maintenance!!!  I seriously cannot wait to meet you, the man and Cooper!

2011-09-07 3:54 PM
in reply to: #3676183

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
tdl1972 - 2011-09-07 10:13 AM

SSMinnow - 2011-09-07 5:26 AM Can it be?  Is it really Wednesday?  Must be time to talk about those big a$$ racing plans this weekend!  Who's got 'em?  Anyone?????

I have my first triathlon this Saturday.  Since it's a sprint, I am hoping to finish faster than Suzy or Kim's IM times.  Key components of my race strategy involve not drowning and avoiding wrong turns that might put me somewhere in Alabama. 

Good luck ladies!!!!

Good luck Bruce and Doug as well!!

Somewhere in Alabama??? Am i missing something here??? Banjos will be playing while waiting for your arrival!

2011-09-07 5:34 PM
in reply to: #3676499

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
badgerintx - 2011-09-07 1:22 PM

Not racing, but I have a date with 2 beautiful "Cougars" all day on Sunday.  The current plan is to have them give me their clothes around 6:30 am and then I plan on feeding them drinks early in the afternoon as they try to run away from me!!  

So excited I decided not to race myself on Saturday!  Actually, the family had other plans for me! 

Can't wait to see you out there!!!  Remember Midtown Hill is where the party is taking place....free food, free beer and the cougars climbing the hill at a break neck pace!  You have Paul's cell....call him if you're in the area.

2011-09-07 5:47 PM
in reply to: #3676888

User image

Elite
san francisco
SSMinnow - 2011-09-07 3:34 PM
badgerintx - 2011-09-07 1:22 PM

Can't wait to see you out there!!!  Remember Midtown Hill is where the party is taking place....free food, free beer and the cougars climbing the hill at a break neck pace!  You have Paul's cell....call him if you're in the area.

HILLS? Aiyah.
2011-09-07 7:37 PM
in reply to: #3676717

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
kt65 - 2011-09-07 2:14 PM

SSMinnow - 2011-09-07 2:26 AM Can it be?  Is it really Wednesday?  Must be time to talk about those big a$$ racing plans this weekend!  Who's got 'em?  Anyone?????

First of all, good luck to all of our racers, let's see, I have Suzy, Doug, Bruce, David, Linda, William and of course DJ on her remembrance ride!!!

For me, it seems like this week would never get here and then suddenly, it's BOOM, get ready, this party is about to get started!  Honestly, when John twisted my rubber arm and signed me up for IMWI (thanks Fats!), I thought it's so far in the future, I'm not going to stress about it. 

And then after Boston, rides got longer, runs before work got earlier and earlier and then came the solstice and suddenly it was darker and darker when I would start, pool swims were crazy long and I was eating us out of house and home. 

And now here we are and I am ready to see what this IM day has in store for me.  I will try my best to execute my plan, but I will remember that at least 4 things have to go wrong...hopeful that I will be able to adapt, improvise and overcome!!!  I've had my share of things go wrong on rides (bonk, flat tire, bee sting!) and more recently the ankle sprain on my longest run, but everything is good and healed, I know how to change tires, fix dropped chains, I feel strong and ready! 

Thanks to all of you guys for your support and for sharing the wisdom and experience along the way!  Each time I hit a timing mat, I will let out an inner (and maybe outer) woo hoo...hope I have energy to do that.

Thanks to Suzy for all that you are about to undertake, I am VERY high maintenance!!!  I seriously cannot wait to meet you, the man and Cooper!

Wait. You are doing an ironman this weekend? You two are going to hqve such a great time with Paul,Suz and the Coop.
2011-09-07 7:37 PM
in reply to: #3675816

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina
dalessit - 2011-09-07 8:26 AM
jfought - 2011-09-06 9:43 PM

Want to throw this out to the group.  I have a few things that I would like to get my hands on for my first off-season; a trainer, a hr monitor, and the total immersion swim program. 

If any of you are upgrading and need someone to buy your extra stuff, let me know.

P.S. I've been watching the classifieds here on bt, but haven't been able to lay my hands on any of these things yet.  Usually, I'm too slow! lol

Trainer's will be tough to buy online, they're going to be super expensive to ship, probably better to look at craigslist for local pickup.   What kind of HR monitor are you looking for Garmin Forerunner 305's are super cheap now, you get HR and GPS functions which is nice when you want to know your pace while running.

And I have a Total Immersion book somewhere, I can send you for free if you want it, I just have to figure out where it is.

Tony,  I've been checking Craigslist daily.  Hopefully something will pop up.  I'm really not sure on the HR monitor.  Since I have nothing right now, anything would be an improvement.  It would be super sweet if you have that Total Immersion book.  If you find it, just send me a pm and I will get you my address. Smile

2011-09-07 7:39 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Are there sharks in Wisconsin?

2011-09-07 7:39 PM
in reply to: #3675872

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina
dcon - 2011-09-07 9:04 AM
jfought - 2011-09-06 11:43 PM

Want to throw this out to the group.  I have a few things that I would like to get my hands on for my first off-season; a trainer, a hr monitor, and the total immersion swim program. 

If any of you are upgrading and need someone to buy your extra stuff, let me know.

P.S. I've been watching the classifieds here on bt, but haven't been able to lay my hands on any of these things yet.  Usually, I'm too slow! lol

Jayne,

I think the Swim Smooth stuff is better in the long run.  I have some of the TI stuff - give me a day or two to dig them out and I'll let you know what I have.  If you do want to go that route, I will be happy to send to you the next time I am in the US (early Oct).

Dan

Cool!  Just pm me if you find it.  You and Tony can race to see who finds theirs first.  Ready, set, go!

2011-09-07 8:01 PM

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina

What an exciting weekend we have in story. 

I get to sit back and watch Bruce smash his sprint time from two years ago.

David's going to not only survive his first sprint, but finish well and have fun.

DJ is doing her longest ride EVER

William, Linda & Doug are going to be completing olympic distance races.  NICE!!

And the icing on the cake . . . sitting back and watching Kim and Suzy cross each and every timing mat as they complete their Ironman.  I actually said to my hubby, "I should just drive up their and watch the race!"  Tempting, very tempting. 

To all of you:  GOOD LUCK & SHOW US WHAT YOU'VE GOT!!

2011-09-07 8:39 PM
in reply to: #3677023

User image

Master
Tosa, WI

TrevorC - 2011-09-07 7:39 PM Are there sharks in Wisconsin?

Nope, just algae eating snakes!  Surprised

2011-09-08 7:52 AM
in reply to: #3676608

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Tobey91 - 2011-09-07 3:19 PM

Nation's Tri (Oly) on Sunday.  With all the rain in DC over the past week, I am concerned that the race organizers will declare that the water quality is not good enough for the swim and it will be turned into a run-bike-run.  But c'est la vie.  Should be fun in any event.

Sam and I were talking about that last night, I would have to believe at least the swim will be cancelled, they're calling for something like the 2nd highest flood level at haines point, which if I recall the first covered the entire point, golf course and all. 

Unfortunately that's also where a portion of the run goes so if they're able to pull it off they might have to do some re-routing.

We've had crazy rain, first the hurricane last week, then this tropical storm, seems like it's been raining every day for 2 weeks.

2011-09-08 8:08 AM
in reply to: #3677098

User image

Champion
badgerintx - 2011-09-07 8:39 PM

NO!! While Lake Monona is murky and seeing feet in front of you is a challenge, I don't even see any fish in the water. 

Water was a perfect 68F for my LAST OWS until Sunday.  Lots and lots of people were already swimming every which way at sun up.  Made coming back in very interesting!!

2011-09-08 9:21 AM
in reply to: #3677440

User image

Elite
san francisco
SSMinnow - 2011-09-08 6:08 AM
badgerintx - 2011-09-07 8:39 PM

NO!! While Lake Monona is murky and seeing feet in front of you is a challenge, I don't even see any fish in the water. 

Water was a perfect 68F for my LAST OWS until Sunday.  Lots and lots of people were already swimming every which way at sun up.  Made coming back in very interesting!!

Yay for no sharks, or algae eating snakes! Hopping on the plane in a few moments, Ack! Standing in line and wth is my heart pounding? See ya all on the other side!
2011-09-08 10:26 AM

User image

Expert
Auburn AL

PROBLEMS PROBLEMS PROBLEMS!!!   Guess that can be expected while IM training, but my dang ITB just started flaring up again. 

I guess the increasing volume has stressed my ITB enough that this morning on my 7 mile run, I had to walk the last 1/2 mile in.  I am icing now, rolling, stretching, etc etc. 

What should I do?  Lay off a few days or try to train shorter distances?  I am 8 weeks out, and I hate to lose the fitness that I am starting to see. 

2011-09-08 11:13 AM
in reply to: #3677707

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Plainsman AU - 2011-09-08 8:26 AM

PROBLEMS PROBLEMS PROBLEMS!!!   Guess that can be expected while IM training, but my dang ITB just started flaring up again. 

I guess the increasing volume has stressed my ITB enough that this morning on my 7 mile run, I had to walk the last 1/2 mile in.  I am icing now, rolling, stretching, etc etc. 

What should I do?  Lay off a few days or try to train shorter distances?  I am 8 weeks out, and I hate to lose the fitness that I am starting to see. 

Continue icing, stretching, and rolling it out.  In order to not lose much fitness try using the eliptical for a while? 

2011-09-08 12:38 PM
in reply to: #3677422

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
dalessit - 2011-09-08 8:52 AM

Sam and I were talking about that last night, I would have to believe at least the swim will be cancelled, they're calling for something like the 2nd highest flood level at haines point, which if I recall the first covered the entire point, golf course and all. 

Unfortunately that's also where a portion of the run goes so if they're able to pull it off they might have to do some re-routing.

We've had crazy rain, first the hurricane last week, then this tropical storm, seems like it's been raining every day for 2 weeks.

Yep, heard it's now a Du, sorry William.  I ran by there an hour or so ago and they had transition up but no dock.

2011-09-08 1:32 PM
in reply to: #3678013

User image

Extreme Veteran
dalessit - 2011-09-08 1:38 PM
dalessit - 2011-09-08 8:52 AM

Yep, heard it's now a Du, sorry William.  I ran by there an hour or so ago and they had transition up but no dock.

Yep.   From the official email:

COURSE UPDATE
Due to the recent storms, city officials and event organizers have canceled the swim. Flooding and fast moving currents have created hazardous conditions for swimmers, so this year’s race will be a 40K bike and 10K run. The race will begin at 7:00 am following the same time trial starting procedure.  Check your Athlete Service Platform for your Start Group # (which is the same as your Swim Group #).  However instead athletes will now head directly into the transition area, grab their bikes and head out on a 40K bike followed by a 10K run.

I guess it could be worse -- it could be a run-bike-run.  On the bright side, this will get me home earlier to watch the IM Moo results roll in...  Good luck Suzy and Kim.

2011-09-08 6:16 PM

User image

Champion

She's here!!!!!

2011-09-08 6:23 PM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan

My first HIM is 10 days away and I'm wondering how to handle the pacing.   Is this article a good approach?  He is saying to do the first 3 miles of the run in low Zone 1.  Is that what you mean by glacial?  (sounds pretty glacial to me).

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1158

Edited by dcon 2011-09-08 6:23 PM
2011-09-08 6:41 PM
in reply to: #3678612

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
SSMinnow - 2011-09-08 5:16 PM

She's here!!!!!

To quote a friend of mine "i'd hit that!"
2011-09-08 6:48 PM
in reply to: #3678616

User image

Champion
marietta
dcon - 2011-09-08 7:23 PM

My first HIM is 10 days away and I'm wondering how to handle the pacing.   Is this article a good approach?  He is saying to do the first 3 miles of the run in low Zone 1.  Is that what you mean by glacial?  (sounds pretty glacial to me).

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1158

YES!!!!!

Edited by fattyfatfat 2011-09-08 6:49 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed Rss Feed  

of 298