of 3

2007-02-10 3:57 PM
in reply to: #686373

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Subject: RE: Soda and Caffeine
"I'm gonna die, right?"

Sure you are. No one has found a way to NOT die yet...

2007-02-10 4:30 PM
in reply to: #685685

User image

Mesa
I am going to work flat coke into my training program. They give out flat coke on the Ironman run course and I plan to use it. If it works for Stadler it can work for me!

I actually also have some caffeine in during my training from Powergel and Cliff Blocks. They even have cola flavored cliff blocks now. I had some during my ride today. Yum.
2007-02-11 12:23 AM

User image

New user

I drink a regular coke on a daily basis. At first I was worried about the phosphorous leaching some of the calcium from my body, however I really started eating better and made sure I didn't over do it on the soda. I used to be a 3 coke drinker a day. I keep it in my diet so that I can have a "vice".
I was also worried about the effects of carbonated beverages and VO2 Max. Again, in moderation I have not had any negative results.

Bamatrigal, I too am in the middle of my first half ironman training- good luck to you.
2007-02-11 6:41 PM

User image

Master
Minnesota
There's a lot of coke people out here!!! I'm loyal to the Diet Dew - 1 can a day most of the time, sometimes 2.
2007-02-11 7:34 PM

Champion
No excuses!
I love pop ( come on its only soda in the south) but in training for my ironman this year decided I better give it up and go just water. I was probaly drinking close to 100+ oz of Mt Dew, no the diet version, a day while working. So Jan. 1 was the last day I have had pop of any kind and outside of the caffiene withdrawals for about 3 days I am doing fine.

I will say though the first week of switching from pop to water, I sure peeed a whole bunch.
2009-08-19 10:51 AM

User image

Champion
PA

Sorry for reviving this but I don't believe that caffeine is completely innocent.  While something like coffee is mostly water, does your body absorb and retain that water the same way it absorbs water without caffeine?  Does the effects on the nervous system do anything to trigger getting rid of it any faster?

I can honestly say that despite my love of coffee, there is a huge difference in how I feel if I drink water all day versus drinking a pot of coffee. 

I know the article refers to "moderate" consumption so perhaps there is a curve here which factors in tolerance, effects on the nervous system, absorption and retention of water?

2009-08-19 11:12 AM

User image

Regular
Richmond
I have use caffeinated GU and they work a lot better for me than the uncaffeinated...... just my .02.
2009-08-19 11:28 AM

User image

Master
Seattle, California
If you want to transition off soda for any reason a really good way to do so is to start drinking club soda.  You still get the carbonation but not the calories or any of the bad stuff.  Club soda with some lemon or lime isn't too appealing at first but give it a few days and it is really quite tasty.
2009-08-19 12:05 PM
in reply to: #2357974

User image

Pector55 - 2009-08-19 9:51 AM

Sorry for reviving this but I don't believe that caffeine is completely innocent.  While something like coffee is mostly water, does your body absorb and retain that water the same way it absorbs water without caffeine?  Does the effects on the nervous system do anything to trigger getting rid of it any faster?

I can honestly say that despite my love of coffee, there is a huge difference in how I feel if I drink water all day versus drinking a pot of coffee. 

I know the article refers to "moderate" consumption so perhaps there is a curve here which factors in tolerance, effects on the nervous system, absorption and retention of water?

Sure, caffeine has its effects. That's why we like it. But its not something that is going to make or break your performance. Understand the effects and you will be fine.

Moderation is key here.
2009-08-19 1:03 PM
in reply to: #685722

User image

Extreme Veteran
Buford GA
jldicarlo - 2007-02-09 5:10 PM

I've heard lots of arguments for/against.  I was one of those people that drank SO much diet soda I didn't think I'd ever quit.  REALLY thought I was addicted.

Well, I stopped.  The trick for me was to drink water with lemon juice in it.  As long as it has flavor I seem to be okay...

Anyway...you can quit.  I promise you can.

I wasn't addicted to soda but around may of 08 I decided that I wanted to see if I could not drink Soda since people who just never drink soda always perplexed me. Haven't had one since!

I don't like diet soda or zero or any other attempts so wasn't much of an option for me to just go to those but I started to lose weight as soon as I Stopped drinking soda. So I figured why start again just to have diet and still have all the other crap that everyone argues over.

I was still drinking some sweet tea or lemonade if out but they both have so much sugar I stopped both of those as well, to the point i was out on a day trip with the GF and got a "natural" lemonade and the sweetness almost made me ill.

All I drink now at home is water with lemon.. enough lemon to the point its almost lemonade with no sweetness, The people at the grocery store must think I am nuts with the volume of those Realemon things I buy.. (ok and beer and wine.. )

ETA: I have stopped all caffeine as of this year as well. I had one cup in january one morning when I left too much water in my cooling system and my radiator froze. I needed something to warm my hands as I stood outside massaging the hoses until it started to flow. But that's it other then random stuff like chocolate, which I limit anyway.

Edited by mrtopher1980 2009-08-19 1:04 PM
2009-08-19 1:12 PM
in reply to: #2358174

User image

Champion
PA
triOK - 2009-08-19 1:05 PM
Pector55 - 2009-08-19 9:51 AM

Sure, caffeine has its effects. That's why we like it. But its not something that is going to make or break your performance. Understand the effects and you will be fine. Moderation is key here.

That answer is way too general.
Define moderation in terms of how much per day and the consequences of exceeding it. 

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you but I'm looking for something to back that up.

2009-08-19 1:19 PM

User image

Champion
PA
I found this article to more accurately reflect my experience with caffeine.  I am a coffee lover but I believe that I do feel the effects of drinking a pot of coffee during the day and then exercising at night.  The bottom line is that moderation is a relevant term but the defining numbers during tests, as idicated below, do not take into account tolerance levels.  I feel as though I'm rather tolerant to caffeine in terms of it's effect on my central nervous system but I do believe it does impact my hydration levels.  I only point this because I hear some folks say that caffeine's impact on hydration levels is a myth.  I don't believe that is the entire story.

http://www.medicinenet.com/caffeine/page3.htm <http://www.medicinenet.com/caffeine/page3.htm> 

Is caffeine a diuretic?

Caffeine has been considered a diuretic by experts and consumers for years. Some people believe that drinking caffeinated beverages will cause them to lose fluids so they can't be counted as part of their daily intake. Others say that caffeinated beverages do not increase fluid losses. The best way to flush out the truth is to examine the research.

Each day our body has a need for water. We lose water through respiration, skin, renal, and gastrointestinal tract losses. Our intake of water comes from liquids and foods. We need to maintain an adequate water balance for our bodies to function properly. Factors such as age, activity level, health, diet, and environment can affect our water balance.

Some research has shown that caffeine intake can also affect our fluid balance. In one study, 12 caffeine consumers were told to abstain from caffeine for five days and were then given 642 mg of caffeine in the form of coffee. Their urine output increased when given the caffeine.

Another study done on eight men tested the effect of 45, 90, 180, or 360 mg of caffeine on urine volume. An increase in urine volume was seen only at the 360-mg dose of caffeine. One limitation to these studies is that they did not evaluate the impact of caffeine when consumed on a regular basis. A onetime dose may affect the body differently than daily consumption.

Back in 1928, caffeine was shown to have no significant impact on urinary output. Subsequent studies have shown that caffeine-containing beverages did not impact urinary output any differently than other beverages. Based on this, the Institute of Medicine recommends that "unless additional evidence becomes available indicating cumulative total water deficits in individuals with habitual intakes of significant amounts of caffeine, caffeinated beverages appear to contribute to the daily total water intake similar to that contributed by noncaffeinated beverages."

This doesn't mean that caffeine does not increase your need to urinate. Your reaction can depend on the amount that you consume, the type of product, and your tolerance level. If you have urinary incontinence you may experience a greater "urgency" to urinate after consuming a caffeinated beverage. You will need to monitor your reaction and tolerance to caffeine to determine how you are affected. Water is still the recommended choice for optimal hydration, so be sure to include it as part of your daily fluid consumption.

2009-08-19 1:37 PM
in reply to: #685696

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
BamaTriGal - 2007-02-09 4:45 PM
does anyone here throw all that out and still drink their cokes?!! I am about to embark on my half ironman training...and I know I am "suppose to" give it all up...but I DON'T WANT TO!

BamaTriGal - 2007-02-09 4:52 PM
I really LOVE my Diet Cherry Pepsis!!!

So, is it Coke or Pepsi? Or is this one of those regional dialect things?
2009-08-19 1:40 PM

User image

Champion
Caffeine is a very weak diuretic, and the fluid lost via that mechanism is more than made up for by the fluid you take in while ingesting it. You're only going to run into issues if you're taking caffeine pills and no other form of hydration along with it.

I'm not quite sure what the debate is.
2009-08-19 1:58 PM
in reply to: #2358417

User image

Champion
PA
DerekL - 2009-08-19 2:40 PM Caffeine is a very weak diuretic, and the fluid lost via that mechanism is more than made up for by the fluid you take in while ingesting it. You're only going to run into issues if you're taking caffeine pills and no other form of hydration along with it. I'm not quite sure what the debate is.

The debate is whether or not that holds true at all levels of caffeine consumption.  From what you are saying, you could drink coffee all day long with no adverse hydration effects.  I know that personally, that is not true for me and the study I posted seems to reinforce that idea.
2009-08-19 2:00 PM
in reply to: #2358461

User image

Champion
Pector55 - 2009-08-19 1:58 PM

DerekL - 2009-08-19 2:40 PM Caffeine is a very weak diuretic, and the fluid lost via that mechanism is more than made up for by the fluid you take in while ingesting it. You're only going to run into issues if you're taking caffeine pills and no other form of hydration along with it. I'm not quite sure what the debate is.

The debate is whether or not that holds true at all levels of caffeine consumption.  From what you are saying, you could drink coffee all day long with no adverse hydration effects.  I know that personally, that is not true for me and the study I posted seems to reinforce that idea.

Actually that's not what the study says, and I doubt it's happening in you for the reason I said.

2009-08-19 2:02 PM
in reply to: #2358469

User image

Champion
PA
DerekL - 2009-08-19 3:00 PM

Actually that's not what the study says, and I doubt it's happening in you for the reason I said.

But it does.  It states that the levels of urine output did increase above a certain level of caffeine input.
2009-08-19 2:07 PM
in reply to: #2358477

User image

Champion
Pector55 - 2009-08-19 2:02 PM

But it does.  It states that the levels of urine output did increase above a certain level of caffeine input.

You need to reread the whole thing. It specifically states that caffeinated beverages are similar to non-caffeinated in terms of hydration. A small uptick in urine output isn't going to offset the fluid you took in with your caffeine. It's still a net positive effect and certainly won't dehydrate you.

And yes, I'm saying you could drink coffee all day long without adverse hydration effects.
2009-08-19 2:13 PM
in reply to: #2358486

User image

Champion
PA
DerekL - 2009-08-19 3:07 PM
Pector55 - 2009-08-19 2:02 PM

You need to reread the whole thing. It specifically states that caffeinated beverages are similar to non-caffeinated in terms of hydration. A small uptick in urine output isn't going to offset the fluid you took in with your caffeine. It's still a net positive effect and certainly won't dehydrate you. And yes, I'm saying you could drink coffee all day long without adverse hydration effects.

I read that section as well but I don't interpret that section as to ignore everything it stated prior.  Fair enough though.  I personally can't handle large amounts of coffee. 
2009-08-19 2:27 PM

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
My name is Suzanne, and I am a coca cola addict. This is my only 'naughty' food. I tried to give it up altogether and turned into a total butt. tried to change over to coke zero and actually gained weight....switched back to regular coke and lost it. I had a coke the morning of my HIM(a big gulp at that!) And drank cola at the aid stations. As I embark soon on IM build up I have no plans to ditch the coke.

What can I say-I dig the fizzy sugary goodness!

Edited by LittleCat 2009-08-19 2:29 PM
2009-08-19 2:54 PM

User image

Master
Mt Pleasant, SC
Hello

I drink Diet Coke and Sugar Free Redbull.  Equal? Same

Kevin 

2009-08-19 5:34 PM

User image

Expert

http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/caffeine.html

Caffeine and Athletic Performance

Despite considerable research in this area, the role of caffeine as a performance enhancing drug is still controversial. Some of the data are conflicting, which is in part due to how the experimental studies were designed and what methods were used. However, there is general agreement in a few areas:

1. Caffeine does not appear to benefit short term, high intensity exercise (eg. sprinting)
  2. Caffeine can enhance performance in endurance sports.

Glycogen is the principal fuel for muscles and exhaustion occurs when it is depleted. A secondary fuel, which is much more abundant, is fat. As long as there is still glycogen available, working muscles can utilize fat. Caffeine mobilizes fat stores and encourages working muscles to use fat as a fuel. This delays the depletion of muscle glycogen and allows for a prolongation of exercise. The critical time period in glycogen sparing appears to occur during the first 15 minutes of exercise, where caffeine has been shown to decrease glycogen utilization by as much as 50%. Glycogen saved at the beginning is thus available during the later stages of exercise. Although the exact method by which caffeine does this is still unclear, caffeine caused sparing in all of the human studies where muscle glycogen levels were measured. The effect on performance, which was observed in most experimental studies, was that subjects were able to exercise longer until exhaustion occurred.

In addition to the beneficial effects on muscle, caffeine may alter the perception of how hard you are working. During testing, athletes are asked to judge their effort, which is referred to as the rating of perceived exertion (RPE). Some studies have yielded significantly lower RPE's -- less fatigue -- when the athlete used caffeine. Other studies have not found this effect. Obviously, the RPE is very subjective, and there are many things that may influence it.

What about caffeine in Ironman races?

The exercise studies on caffeine involved endurance testing of approximately 2 hours, so there is no specific information related to ultra-endurance races. Pre-race caffeine may be beneficial though, because the longer the race, the more important fat is as a fuel. During the race, caffeinated soft drinks are one of the choices at the aid stations in an Ironman. Whether this source of caffeine is useful is unknown, but these soft-drinks do supply necessary carbohydrate. Because longer races have a greater baseline risk of dehydration, nausea and abdominal cramps, it is very important to consider the side effects of caffeine (below).

Former Coke addict considering a relapse.

2009-08-19 7:29 PM

User image

Expert
Falls Church, VA
my safeway had a nice sale on 12 packs of soda the other month.. 5 for the price of two.. I've still got two left, but 1 or 2 a day isn't going to kill you, specially if you're tri training.

HFCS in those levels is harmless, and it's basically the same chemically as sucrose, with only slightly higher percentage of fructose. 
2009-08-19 9:53 PM

User image

Master
Muskego, WI
my pre race routine...Pop Tarts and a Diet Pepsi. Sometimes a second DP in transition. Have never had any issues with it!
(where is some wood I can knock on?) Im on the podium fairly regularly also...

Edited by pjgrande 2009-08-19 9:54 PM
2009-08-19 10:05 PM

User image

Expert
mmmmmmm brown sugar and cinnamon poptarts does a body good.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Soda and Caffeine Rss Feed  

of 3