BT Development Mentor Program Archives » NavyTRIChief's Mentor Group - NOW FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2008-12-19 10:50 PM
in reply to: #1862145

User image

Expert
A Husker stuck in VA
Subject: RE: NavyTRIChief's Mentor Group - OPEN
cusetri - 2008-12-18 6:28 PM

Room for one more from Syracuse?

this program sounds great!

Name: Mike

Story: Two years ago, I was 6', weighing 260 lbs. Over 6 years of marriage, we had 3 kids and I gained a little bit of baby weight with each kid, except I never took it off after birth!! Started running end of 2007, did a few 5ks, 15k, and completed the NYC marathon in 3:59:38, :22 ahead of my under 4 hour goal....I am happily married to a great wife"mrs.cusetri" and we have 3 great boys, 5,3 and 1.  training is definitely a partnership as hours to train are few and far between.

Status: Currently training based on a Friel training plan, around 5-7 hours a week. Weight 186 or so, want to get down to a cool 175 by season.

Current Training: 6-7 days per week, each sport 3 times with weight training. training is in log for past couple of weeks.

2008 Races: just a weekly training series of 400 yard swim, 10 mile bike and 3.1 mile run....no "official" races.

2009 Races: Kueka Lake. only one registered for. Plan on doing 5 sprints and 1 Olympic end of season

Weight loss: 13 lbs or so by June 1. want to weight 175

Why: There's nothing like the start line before a race. months of training, prep and sacrifice to compete like you once did in your teen years. I love the sensation of competing and the training that goes with it.

Mike,

I dig the start line feeling too.  The only thing better is the finish line, IMHO.  As I am sure we all know, the race is easier than the training.  Friel has some really great training plans I am told, make sure you can log them so we can keep up with what your up to.  Do you have an area you are stronger in than the others?  Let us know.

Scott

2008-12-19 11:01 PM
in reply to: #1856164

User image

Expert
A Husker stuck in VA
Subject: RE: NavyTRIChief's Mentor Group - NOW FULL

Well all, here we are.  You have each showed the initiative to begin your season by signing up for this group.  I won't lie, I may come across as crass at times, but more to the point, I am honest.  Feel free to PM me with anything you don't want to air out for everyone.  Also, feel free to bug, nag and just generally pester each other if we seem to be slacking.  As I said above, we are in this together and we are all looking for motivation, just try to be nice about it.

If you excell in one of our disciplines let me know.  It would be nice to have a resident expert in each area we can refer to.  If you find info that may be helpful, let us know about it.  I am merely a figure head for the group, I can provide motivation, but it may not always work like it should so help me out.

We can only track you if you keep us up to date.  Keep your logs filled in.  I ask that you hit this thread at least once a week, but I am a realist and know that may not be possible.  Please let me know if you will be gone more than 2 weeks so I and others don't fill your inbox with PM's.

In closing, good to have you all aboard.  Please PM me with the races, distance and date you have planned, I have a pretty handy calender to keep track.  Also if you have important dates such as b-day, remission anniversary, whatever, feel free to let me know.  Hope to glean as much insight off of you all as you will from each other.

S-B-R Safe,

Scott

2008-12-19 11:31 PM
in reply to: #1864472

New user

Southeast Michigan

Chief,

Man I just missed out...Squeeze in more member?  I just started training for triathlons after being challenged by a good friend to run a HIM in my hometown.  I am currently a Navy Officer and just recently left a submarine and enjoying my first shore tour.  If all the extra free time, I had to find something proactive to accomplish.  A triathlon seems like the perfect fit!

My running has been limited to training for the PRT which as you know only consists of 1.5 miles.  Stepping up to a half-marathon distance will definitely be challenging but I don't forsee too much difficulty as compared to the other two events.  In the pool, I have some experience.  I was on a swim team for 10 years as a kid and was the Scuba Diving Officer on my boat in Groton, CT.  Even with the prior experience, I was huffing and puffing after 50 yards a couple of weeks ago.  I should be able to complete a mile non stop in a couple of weeks.(http://ruthkazez.com/ZeroTo1mile.html)  The bike is whole 'nother monster.  I have never ridden a road bike and I am receiving a hand-me-down for Christmas.  I know I have an uphill battle but I consider my self in great shape and extremely motivated to destroy my friend this summer.

I am currently following the training plan in Friels Bible book.  I can use all the extra motivation and help from others that I can in order to acheive this challenge.  I understand if you don't have room but how can you turn a fellow submariner down?  (I'm guessing subs since you are in RI).

To everyone else in the group.  I am motivated and willing to motivate others as necessary.  I'm excited for this summer and I'm ready to get serious.

Cheers,

Aaron

2008-12-19 11:32 PM

User image

Expert
St. Louis

I keep my logs up to date - and I am on this site usually 4 times a day.

I also Road Race (cycle) going to Cat 4 next season so any help or advice can be given or taken in and stored in my brain.

2008-12-20 11:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Warwick, Rhode Island

Chief, Sean...anyone else in Rhode Island around Christmas.

There is an 18k coming up on Friday the 26th. It is a pretty informal 1st year race that is being held at the Nooseneck Inn in West Greenwich. Anyone interested let me know and we can have a beer or two after the race.

http://www.geocities.com/oplusfinish/upcoming.html

I have a nice headcold just in time for Christmas. This sucks!

2008-12-20 1:13 PM

User image

Expert
A Husker stuck in VA

Aaron,

As long as no one objects I have no issues with you coming in and welcome you.  But, I am not a submariner, I am a Gunners Mate, but I won't hold being a bubble head against you, too much.

Seems one of the best ways to get motivated or to get others involved is to challenge them.  Time to spank your buddy!! (not literally, I know how you submariners are)  You have come to a great website to get info and help.  Look forward to working with you.  Where exactly are you doing shore duty?

Scott

2008-12-20 1:14 PM
in reply to: #1864729

User image

Expert
A Husker stuck in VA
vm354 - 2008-12-20 12:33 PM

Chief, Sean...anyone else in Rhode Island around Christmas.

There is an 18k coming up on Friday the 26th. It is a pretty informal 1st year race that is being held at the Nooseneck Inn in West Greenwich. Anyone interested let me know and we can have a beer or two after the race.

http://www.geocities.com/oplusfinish/upcoming.html

I have a nice headcold just in time for Christmas. This sucks!

I would love to but am way to out of shape.  Anyone else in the area interested?

2008-12-20 1:18 PM

User image

Expert
A Husker stuck in VA

We are officially full.  No more apps please.  I want to ensure we can provide enough attention to each person so we have hit the cut off.  To those here, welcome aboard, to those that come after this post, sorry, but there are other, almost as good, groups out there.

To this group, we need a name.  I am working on our mission statement (may seem over the top but helps to focus on our goals whatever they may be) now.  Also, if you think of any challenges we can put out there to other groups, let me know.  Something like best percentage of BF lost, or most improved PR.

Scott

2008-12-20 2:07 PM
in reply to: #1864464

User image

Master
syracuse
NavyTRIChief - 2008-12-19 11:50 PM
cusetri - 2008-12-18 6:28 PM

Mike,

I dig the start line feeling too.  The only thing better is the finish line, IMHO.  As I am sure we all know, the race is easier than the training.  Friel has some really great training plans I am told, make sure you can log them so we can keep up with what your up to.  Do you have an area you are stronger in than the others?  Let us know.

Scott

If I had to pick one, it would be running, only because I ran all last summer preparing for a marathon.  other than that, I'm pretty green.  

2008-12-20 4:34 PM
in reply to: #1864729

User image

Veteran
The Ocean State
Vin, sounds like fun. I'll check on the home schedule to see if it's doable.
2008-12-21 2:09 AM
in reply to: #1864452

User image

Veteran
NavyTRIChief - 2008-12-19 11:37 PM
chrisemt - 2008-12-17 10:10 PM

I would like to join your mentor group. Let me know if I fit the bill. I'll try to fit in and stay accountable.

-Chris 

Name: Chris
Story: 31 years old and got hooked on multisport while training for my 1st tri in 2008.
Status: Married for the past 3 years with 2 kids; a 13 year old and a soon to be 2 year old. I work as a paramedic in South Carolina. So, between my family life and work schedule I have to be creative about training time. It keeps it interesting.
Current Training: Right now I am finishing up the base building phase of the BT Winter Cycling Program being run by our own Jorge. At the end of the 2008 season I realized I needed to work on my limiter which is the bike. I plan on starting my running base program and a strength program after the 1st of the year in an effort to increase mileage because I want to run some longer foot races before my half distance next September.
2008 Races: Only 2 sprints but I learned a lot from both. I started training late in the season as I was initially training to run an adventure race which I had to drop out of so I began to train for a 5K. Hadn’t run since high school so it was a challenge. Tri training came out of that. Like I said I’m hooked.
2009 Races: At least 3 sprints scheduled right now maybe a 4th and the SC Half to cap off the season next October.  I also want to run a half mary as well as some 5 and 10 K’s to keep me on task.
Weight loss: Last January when I was seen at my doctor’s for the stomach flu I was 250lbs. When I ran my 1st triathlon in August of 2008 I was 207lbs. I have gained 8 lbs back for my current weight of 215lbs. I would love to be under 200lbs by the end of 2009. My goal is really 190lbs.
Why: Easy. This season I want to take my training more seriously. I learned a lot last season and was amazed at the science that goes into tri training. Being a science nerd and in the healthcare field I really can see the benefit to having a good understanding of nutrition and specificity of training regiments in order to benefit the multisport athlete. Plus I want to win my age group at the American Warrior Sprint Triathlon.

Chris,

Great job on the weight loss, now we can work to keep it off.  My wife is a Nurse and is always commenting on the EMT's, you guy's need to keep your hands to yourself    Trust me I know about life getting in the way.  Seems like even when I get time to myself I don't get time to myself.  Training at O dark thirty is my only time alone.  Don't get me wrong, I love my family, but man!!  Let us know what your strength and weakness' are so we can give and get input.

Scott

Strengths: These are always very hard to for me to think up without sounding snobby. I would say my swimming is my strength. I have always felt at home in the water and probably don't swim enough to really improve. I'm motivated and have a general thrist for knowledge.  I am also very strong in the mental toughness/mindset department. I preach this a lot when I teach personal defense/ handgun tactics.

Weakness: Right now is the bike. I have pretty much thrown my races away due to not being vonfident or proficient on the bike. I am working over the winter to fix this so I can be ready to start base training in January.

-Chris

2008-12-21 8:09 AM

User image

Master
syracuse
Subject: why why did you pick this group/what are you looking to get outof it

I'll start.

As soon as I saw "NavyTRIChief" I knew this one was for me.  I immediately thought of Robert DeNiro in , "Men of Honor."   I picture Scott as a hard motivator who won't take any B.S. and someone who's been there and done that.  Whether or not that's the case, that's what I perceive and I respond well to someone getting in my grill and expecting more from me.

The main thing I want to get out of this is for some people to hold me accountable for my nutrition and weight goals.  I want to weigh 175 lbs come first race and hold that weight through the end of the season.  That is about 13 lbs.  That's like taking my bike and chopping it in half....ain't no way I can shave off that much weight through equipment upgrades.

So, my promise is to post everything that goes into my body in my nutrition log along with my weight daily.   I ask in return you guys get on me if I slip. 

Thanks!

mike

Edited by cusetri 2008-12-21 8:15 AM
2008-12-21 7:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Hamilton,MI

So, how many of us are counting snow shoveling as training time?

Up here in Michigan I've been stuck on my tainer and treadmill. 

How about some kind of challenge for Januray?  Yards swimming, time on trainger, miles on treadmill?

Got a week to work out the details, how about it?

Ken

2008-12-21 7:53 PM
in reply to: #1866322

New user

Southeast Michigan
kdogtoo - 2008-12-21 8:02 PM

So, how many of us are counting snow shoveling as training time?

Up here in Michigan I've been stuck on my tainer and treadmill. 

How about some kind of challenge for Januray?  Yards swimming, time on trainger, miles on treadmill?

Got a week to work out the details, how about it?

Ken

Ken, I am with you.  Being stuck in the snow puts a damper on outside training.  I'm stuck with a treadmill and will have a trainer after the new year.  I like the idea of a challenge in distance.  I figure everyone is beginning their base training and it is the perfect time for that type of challenge.

Chief, I am now a Navy Recruiter in the Southeastern Michigan area.  I pretty much own the eastern half of Michigan.  Given the economy in this area, my job isn't very challenging.

2 hours shoveling snow/getting cars unstuck in the street.  My back is sore so the workout is going in my training log.

2008-12-22 11:28 AM

User image

Expert
A Husker stuck in VA

I recruited from 99-02.  Hated it, glad all is going well for you.

I like the challenge idea, need to come up with a way to make it even across the board, like, most improved longest run percentage wise, rather than just time or miles.  Hmm, what's everyone think?

2008-12-22 4:33 PM
in reply to: #1864423

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mercer Island, WA
Subject: RE: NavyTRIChief's Mentor Group
Hey! I am not a grunt...I am the top ten percent of the bottom ten percent of the population...aka Military Intelligence!

NavyTRIChief - 2008-12-19 10:11 PM

runrachierun - 2008-12-17 12:29 PM I'd love to join, although I'm an Army vet, not a squid! :-) NAME: Rachel STORY: I am a civil litigator from Seattle, Washington. I completed my first season of tris in 2008 and did 5 sprints. I've done three half marathons. I am very competitive, but have not dedicated myself to training because life seems to get in the way! FAMILY STATUS: I have been married for less than one month and have two dogs. CURRENT TRAINING: I am (trying to) follow the RunnersWorld SmartCoach program for a half marathon on March 22, 2009. THIS YEAR'S RACES: I did 5 sprints with little training. Now, I want to train and actually compete for AG placement. 2009 RACES: I am doing a few half marathons, my first full (Rock n Roll Seattle on 6/27), the Moses Lake Olympic Tri in early June, the Trek women's tri, the Subaru Women's Sprint, and Lake Stevens 70.3. I am also doing the Seattle to Portland Cycle, Chilly Hilly, and the MS 150 ride. WEIGHTLOSS: II weigh about 145, which is way too much for me. I want to lose 20-25 pounds in 2009. I am looking forward to being a mentee!

Hello Rachel and welcome aboard!  This looks like it is going to be an awesome group.  I believe we cover the whole spectrum, from experienced to novice, and sprints to IM's.  Let us know if there are any areas you need help or a push in, seems we all (or pretty much all) want/need to lose some weight too.

BTW, I won't hold being a grunt agaist you!

Scott

2008-12-23 8:14 AM

User image

Expert
A Husker stuck in VA
It's Tuesday, do you know where your training log is?  Just out of curiosity, how many people use BT plans, the nutrition log etc. on here?
2008-12-23 8:29 AM

User image

Expert
A Husker stuck in VA

FIRST CHALLENGE: 

Shouldn't be too hard for most, pick a bad for you food/drink you habitually use and drop it for 7 days.  Who knows, you may stick with it beyond one week Laughing 

I will be attempting soda.  I will officially begin tomorrow (need to get rid of what is in the house first.  Will be replacing it with Sunny D or just plain old water.

2008-12-23 9:09 AM
in reply to: #1864430

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Subject: RE: NavyTRIChief's Mentor Group
NavyTRIChief - 2008-12-19 8:15 PM
devouahy - 2008-12-17 3:11 PM

Hope you still have room! 

Name: Hans

Story: 37 Yrs Old, got back into triathlon a little over a year ago because of a partial kidney failure, and being well over 300 lbs. By training, and setting goals, managed to aggressively loose a lot of it, and now down to 220 lbs, and hanging over that for the Holidays.

Also currently on a break from doing IMAZ last month, and having a set back from a foot infection. But all healing pretty good. Looking at a very promising year for 2009!

Come from an athletic background as a kid, and looking at performing better than I did back in my youth, hoping for the Olympics someday. Oh yeah, also a former Navy person, but got out in the 90's after beeing recruited within the Goverment side.

Status: Married with an amazing wife for 4 1/2 years and also with 2 female dogs in the house. One is a White German Shepard and the other is a Bloodhound. Great dogs.

Current Training: Right now, laid up from a foot infection but healing nice. Seeing doctor this afternoon to get release for some minimal exercises. Hoping for good diagnosis. But focussed 2008 to perform Ironman Arizona in November, and managed to finish it, barely! Feet are paying right now. Hoping to really focus, and be real steady on my training.

2008 Races: Did HIM California, then a Sprint, then an Olympic, and finalized the year with IMAZ. Had a total of 4 races, and happy with it.

2009 Races: Have 3 HIM's that I have registered for, then planning on a very few Sprints and some Olympics distances. Hoping for a total of about 8 - 12 races. Also throw a few 5K's, 10K's, and maybe some Half-Marathons. Those are strickly to be thrown in for training purposes.

Weight loss: 6'0 - Was well over 300 lbs, and now at 218 lbs's plus what ever the Holiday those since I'm layed up. But goal it to be down to 182 lbs by the end of 2009.

Why: I have set myself some very high goals for 2009-2012. Hoping to achieve each goals each years for the ultimate race in 2012. Need accountability to stay focus when I travel so much.

Hans,

Anyone that lives in one of my favorite cities is welcome.  Sorry to hear about the foot, hope it is healing well and you got a good pronosis!  AWESOME JOB ON THE WEIGHT LOSS!  You have already shown more commitment than many people I know by losing that much weight.  Looks like you are looking forward to a busy year, we are here to help keep you motivated and trained up, anything you need, let us know.  BTW, are you a free diver?

Scott

Yes I am. I competed back in my younger days on the US National Team. Back then, my static apnea was 6:32. Now that I am getting back in shape with triathlon, working on my freediving skills again and working on a program to start teaching freediving here in Las Vegas. Lake Mead is about 400' deep, so enough deept for a shallow 100m freedive.

2008-12-23 9:49 AM
in reply to: #1869053

User image

Master
syracuse

NavyTRIChief - 2008-12-23 9:14 AM It's Tuesday, do you know where your training log is?  Just out of curiosity, how many people use BT plans, the nutrition log etc. on here?

use both.  they are great.  nothing better than tracking all the food you put in your body.  I'm AMZAED how quickly the cals add up!!!!

2008-12-23 9:50 AM
in reply to: #1869079

User image

Master
syracuse
NavyTRIChief - 2008-12-23 9:29 AM

FIRST CHALLENGE: 

Shouldn't be too hard for most, pick a bad for you food/drink you habitually use and drop it for 7 days.  Who knows, you may stick with it beyond one week Laughing 

I will be attempting soda.  I will officially begin tomorrow (need to get rid of what is in the house first.  Will be replacing it with Sunny D or just plain old water.

wow, what timing for this challange.  I will accept, however.No cookies, cakes, pies desserts for me for the next 7 days.  I've already had my fair share off x-mas cookies.  From today until the 30th.  If I can make it until than, I wont have to worry about it!!! 

2008-12-23 10:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Warwick, Rhode Island

This one is going to be tough.

Carbonated beverages...beer and soda. Should be painful enough.

2008-12-23 10:53 AM
in reply to: #1869310

User image

Expert
A Husker stuck in VA
vm354 - 2008-12-23 11:17 AM

This one is going to be tough.

Carbonated beverages...beer and soda. Should be painful enough.

Woa woa woa, beer?!!  Sorry, I'm sticking with soda, especially with the football games coming up.

2008-12-23 12:36 PM

User image

Master
syracuse

Merry christmas and happy holidays and stay focused!!!

Not sure how much I'll be on here the next few days.  Leaving for the mall in about 30 minutes than the festivities begin.

everyone STAY focused the next week.  dont use the holidays as an excuse to excessivley eat and decrease activity. 

train when you can, wake up early the 24th/25th as training once the sun comes up on those days will be impossible. 

NavyTRIChief gave us all a challange, lets focus on that, I see 3 repsonses thus far.  Let's all join in on this, and report how we are doing. 

Again, be safe, and enjoy the next few days with your families.

remember, what you give up today, will come back to you 10 fold on race day.

Later!!!

Mike in Syracuse

Edited by cusetri 2008-12-23 12:36 PM
2008-12-23 1:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mercer Island, WA
I will give up chips! Salt is my weakness.

I've been snowed in for the past four days and gave my treadmill to my sister in law...as a result, I am lazing around!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » NavyTRIChief's Mentor Group - NOW FULL Rss Feed  

of 8