BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JeepFleeb's mentor group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2009-01-07 11:36 AM
in reply to: #1880994

User image

Subject: RE: JeepFleeb's mentor group - OPEN
Aaron - I would love to join your group if room is still available.  I'm off to a meeting right now but promise to post my bio tonight.  Real quickly, my longest race was Steelhead last year and I'm registered for IM Lou this year.  I purchased a couple of fuel belts from you so I have no excuses to not stay hydrated during long training runs.  I also live nearby Trixie and she's more than willing to tell on me if I stray from your guidance.  Oh yea, and my name is David.

2009-01-07 1:00 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

Hi Aaron! - I hope there is still some space left in your group and I would really like to join you.

NAME Kathrin

STORY I have been very athletic during my highschool years. I did gymnastics, played table tennis, did a season of athletics, handball, dancing etc. For whatever reason I stopped sports for over 10 years with the result of putting on weight.... 186 lbs as of December 2007 at 5'2. In 2008 I got back into an excercise routine, made drastic changes in my nutrition and I am down to 120 lbs. Somewhere along the way I decided to do a sprint triathlon in 2009 and this is how I joined the BT community. When I put my mind to something, I am very self-motivated... Sometimes I tend to extremes... From no sports at all to six times per weeks in the course of a couple of months etc. I have to watch myself that I don't overdo it and listen to my body, even if that requires to hold off a training plan for the moment. I tend to need the theoretical background of things. I like to read about running and swimming and biking.... I am still at the beginning of triathlons, but I want to have a permanent liftstyle change and the triathlon training seemed to be a great motivator for me.... I am in need of improving my swimming, biking and yes... my running. But running seems to be the discipline I feel most uncomfortable with.

Family Single, but having a great boyfriend that is very supportive. I have no immediate family in the U.S. I just moved to the U.S. three years ago from Germany for work and all my family is in Germany.

Current Training Plan for this month is swimming 2x a week, biking 3x a week, running 3x a week and strength 1x a week.

Last Year's Races 8K in a little under 49 mins and 5K in a little under 30 mins.

2009 Races Planning on doing 2 to 3 sprint tri's, but haven't picked out the races yet... It will be something small locally.... The YMCA in the Upstate has a sprint tri series. Also I will run a 5K this month, 8K in Feb and 10K in Mar and Apr (Cooper River Bridge in Charleston). Maybe maybe maybe a half-mary in the fall.

Weightloss No weightloss for me anymore. Focus is on maintaining my weight and balancing out the needs my body has to support my training schedule.... I am still trying to figure out, how not to loose more weight without eating bad and eventually put weight back on. Does that make any sense to anyone???

2009-01-07 1:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, NE

Hi Aaron!  Do you have room for one more?  I've seen you around and would love to join your group!!  I also am at lunch, but would post a bio tonight.  A very little about my tri experience - 2008 was my first season doing any races - I had spent the previous 13+ years 100+ pounds overweight.  I did an Oly to prepare me for my A race - the Kansas 70.3.  I did another half-IM later in the season along with a du and various running races.  Last year my goal was to SURVIVE!  This year it is to go faster.  2010 I'd like to do an IM   I'll check back later to see if you have room and post a bio if so!

Thanks!
Renee

2009-01-07 4:37 PM

User image

Regular
Lawton / Fort Sill, OK

Can I join this group Aaron?!?!!?

NAME: Tr1Hawaii / Michael

STORY:
I started tri's in 2005 after returning from Iraq - Tarlavsky's North Shore Triathlon.  Long story short, I realized that life was too short not to LIVE it.  Had a loss in Iraq and decided to participate in this tri to commemorate CPT Tarlavsky.

I've ran, swam, biked, trekked, and rucked for the 22 years I was in the Army.  So, fitness was always a part of life.  Just never focused it into racing.

I've done 7 sprint, 2 oly, one HIM (Florida).  I'm ready to return and go further.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with 2 girls, 4 & 10. 

CURRENT TRAINING:
Started using SuperCoach Ver 2.0 on monday.

PAST TRAINING:  I trained with Coach Raul Boca in Hawaii and long distance for florida 70.3.

LAST YEAR'S RACES:
 I didn't race at all last year other than runs and a summer bike tour.  With retirement, moving, finding a new job, I couldn't get my head wrapped around a detailed schedule.

2009 RACES: 
 Duncan Sprint Tri - Duncan, OK, Historic McKinney Triathlon - McKinney TX,  Tulsa Triathlon - Tulsa OK, Buffalo Springs 70.3 (maybe), Redman Triathlon Iron distance - OKC, OK

WEIGHTLOSS: Maintain.  Currently 5'11" and 157-160lbs.  BF% about 8-10.

MOTIVATION:  Need to have a group as there are no other triathletes that I can find in my area.  It's crazy, I know, but I haven't found them yet.  I need this group to stay on track.

Need to have a group as there are no other triathletes that I can find in my area.  It's crazy, I know, but I haven't found them yet.  I need this group to stay on track.

Michael

Edited by Tr1Hawaii 2009-01-07 4:39 PM
2009-01-07 4:42 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by JeepFleeb 2009-01-07 4:44 PM
2009-01-07 5:13 PM
in reply to: #1892577

Regular
Lawton / Fort Sill, OK

Kathrin,

The next time your at the downtown Carolina Tri store, tell Ben and Topher hello for me.  Man I miss the upstate and working there!!!

Michael

2009-01-07 5:35 PM
in reply to: #1893285

Expert
Greenville, SC
Tr1Hawaii - 2009-01-07 6:13 PM

Kathrin,

The next time your at the downtown Carolina Tri store, tell Ben and Topher hello for me.  Man I miss the upstate and working there!!!

Michael

I will sure do that....

2009-01-07 5:40 PM

Elite
Quebec, Canada

Hey Kat

Nice to see you here.

2009-01-07 6:15 PM

New user

This seems like an awesome group to be a part of. I got everyone listed as friends so you can view my daily logs. I am glad to be a part. I just joined and am already feeling more confident I can accomplish and follow through with my goals.

This week is an especially tough week for me to train and since I just got signed up I have set a goal for myself to get started with everything. By the end of the week, Saturday, I will have a solid training plan in place, have a bike, and be ready to hit it hard.

I will be competing in my first tri on April 11th here in Washington. It's just a sprint and I wonder if I'm not competing in a challenging enough event but I know I need to start somewhere and want to set up a path for success not failure.

2009-01-07 6:26 PM
in reply to: #1893407

2009-01-07 8:18 PM

Master
Roswell, GA

As promised here is my bio: 

NAME: Lisa B/Lisa

STORY:
I have been an athlete all my life.  Was a gymnast for 7 years and competed at the University of Michigan.  I have been a serious body builder (almost competed but had kids instead), kick boxer and compulsive runner, 5-6 days a week for years.  During my running obsession I did two marathons – NY and San Diego RockNRoll and too many half marathons to count.

Fast forward to my 46th year of life (3 years ago) and I was to the point where I could not stand up or walk for more than 10-15 mines at a time (of course I was still running).  The day I realized that I was in too much pain to take my kids to the new aquarium that was opening up here in Atlanta I made the decision to go ahead with L4-L5 lumbar fusion.  Surgery went great and I fought my way back to fitness.  Where there is a will there is a way…

First year after surgery I was allowed to lift weights and begin spinning classes after 6 mos.  At a year I desperately missed the endurance training and bought myself a bike during spring time.  During that first season of biking I did the MS150, my first century and 3 Gap 50 miler (through the N. GA Mountains).  When I began riding I was looking for company and found a local group of triathletes and the rest is history.

That first season that I was mainly a roadie I did two all women sprint tris without any training.  Realized how much I loved it, began training in earnest and during my first full season last year I did 5 sprints, 2 Oly’s and 1 HIM relay (I did the bike)

FAMILY STATUS: Single with two teenagers (9th and 11th grade), 1 cat and 2 dogs

CURRENT TRAINING:
I have a coach that I have been working with for about 9 months and am very happy with him and my progress.  Some of you may know him as he is on BT too – Marvarnett (Dan)

2009 RACES: Went to my back surgeon right before Thanksgiving and he gave his blessings for half marathons and half iron distance.  My two A races that I have signed up for so far are the ING half mary on 3/29 and Ironman 70.3 Augusta on Sept 27.  I would also like to do an Aquabike, an Oly or two and some sprints all TBD.

WEIGHTLOSS:
Lose a few pounds and some BF, maintain, but mostly learn to eat well all the time.  I am a lifetime weight watchers member and I have a tendency to go up and down 5-10 lbs (which I’m tired of).  I did the BT Limiter Challenge in December and I lost about 6lbs during a month that I would normally gain. 

WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR AS A MENTEE:
  Aaron – you hit the nail on the head with your response to Ryan’s post tonight:  “Triathlon is so much more than swimming, biking and running.  Throw in transitions, nutrition/hydration, strength training, race tactics, pacing”……I am working on taking my training and racing to the next level and this is what I need to learn to get there.

Thanks for having me and I look forward to soaking up some knowledge and getting to know everyone.

Edited by Lisa B 2009-01-08 7:56 AM

2009-01-07 9:07 PM

NAME: Brickey/David

STORY:
My wife and I started training for triathlons in 2007.  I injured my hip flexor during training, and actually tore it during my first triathlon (Hawk Island).  I was done for the year.  Last year I followed the BT 20 week HIM plan and completed Steelhead.  I'm taking the plunge this year and doing a full Ironman. 

FAMILY STATUS:
 Married (SweetP - fellow BTer), 3 boys 10, 9 and 5, and a black lab 

CURRENT TRAINING:
 I'm just now getting back into the swing of things after taking a long mental and physical break.

LAST YEAR'S RACES:
 Sprint - Hawk Island 06/08, HIM - Steelhead 08/08, Sprint - Grand Marais 08/08

2009 RACES:
My "A" race is IM Lou, but there are several others I'd like to participate in along the way. Starkerman, Bayshore 1/2 Marathon, Hawk Island (sprint) and others

WEIGHTLOSS:
I enjoyed the holiday treats way too much.  I'm currently at 188 but I will lose 15 pounds of fat by the end of the race season.  I would love to find a nutritionist to tell me what to eat, and when to eat it.

GENERAL:  I have a fantastic support system between my wife and kids.  The most difficult part of training last year was dealing with my internal struggle of spending so much time away from the family.  About half way through my training, I found some ways to incorporate the family into my training.  During open water swims, my wife and boys would either join me at the park and play at the beach or follow me in a paddle boat and cheer me on.  During long runs, by family would be my aid stations and hand me water/gatorade and then go back to playing until my next loop around the park.  I know my boys had fun helping dad, but I was the one that truly benefitted from watching them share in my journey.  I'm looking forward to adding everyone in this group to my support system and hope I can provide support for all of you.

Here's to a fantastic 2009!

2009-01-07 10:11 PM

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, NE

NAME: rreischl / Renee

STORY:
As a kid I was outside any chance I had – always running around or biking with the neighbor kids.  I played every sport I could through high school, including soccer almost year-round . . . I lived for soccer!  Back then, running the whole game as a mid-fielder was nothing!  I was fit – yet had these HUGE quads (runs in the family) and thus always felt huge in comparison to other kids!  I was always trying to lose weight – although looking back I was fine then.

Then college hit and I really did have a problem!  I worked and studied a lot, exercised none, and ate junk!  I still desired an active life, but could no longer physically do the things I wanted to.  I remember one day – maybe 10 years ago – I stumbled across the Kona championships on TV one weekend.  I had never seen anything like it and was completely blown away!  I decided right then that someday I COULD do an Ironman and someday I WOULD!  Still I could never find a way to lose the weight I needed to.  In Jan 2007 I was at my highest – luckily I found the most amazing support group online and my life was forever changed!  I was 5’3” and 270#’s that day.  I dropped 123# total in 2007.  I had dropped about 75 of that by late July when I joined a Bootcamp.  To my great surprise, they had me do something on day one that I was convinced I still couldn’t handle . . . RUN!  To my surprise – I could!  Each session they would have me do more and in between each session I would run on my own – my knees hurt – but it felt so great to be running again!  By November I could do 6 miles and found myself thinking about that Ironman dream that had always been in the back of my mind.  I stumbled across a website for the Ironman Kansas 70.3 and figured that would be a great start!  I knew I could be ready to run and bike – I practiced swimming a few weeks and although my swimming was horrid – I decided by June I could be ready – or would at least do everything in my power to be!  From there I signed up immediately for Kansas – then I trained, trained, trained.  I started training around Dec last year and my last race of "this season" is Jan 18th - YIKES!  Then - I'm looking forward to a couple weeks of recovery and doing it all over again

FAMILY STATUS: Single.  However my family (parents, brothers, SIL’s, NIECE) all live pretty close and we are pretty tight.

CURRENT TRAINING:
I’ve been doing 3 spin classes/week, 3-4 runs per week leading up to a half-marathon Jan 18th, and aiming to swim 2-3x/week, strength 2x/week, xtrain 2x/week.  Swimming (and resting!) is my weakness – in all honestly my swimming avg since my last tri (in August) is probably only 1x/week if I’m lucky.  Closer to a 2x/week avg the past month or 2.

LAST YEAR'S RACES:
 Playtri Olympic (Had to travel all the way to Irving Texas – I wanted to see & do a tri before my 70.3!), 10k run, Lincoln National Guard Half-Marathon, Ironman Kansas 70.3, Whaletown Olympic, Pigman HIM, PTC Relay Walk, Lewis & Clark Half-Marathon (they ended it at 10 miles thanks to Hurricane Ike), Osceola Duathlon

2009 RACES:
 I am going to take a couple weeks of recovery time post-race before gearing up for the next season.  I’m saving finalizing my races and training plan until then – so I have something to do!   Here is what I’m leaning toward: PF Chang’s Half-Marathon (my January race), Flying Pigs Half-Marathon, Ironman Kansas 70.3, Hyvee Oly, Chisago Lakes Sprint, Whaletown Oly, HIM, Portland to Coast Relay Walk, Irongirl Duathlon, MCM Marathon (my first marathon!).  Then, I’m hoping to do that first IM in late 2010!  WOOHOO!!

WEIGHTLOSS: 2007 – lost 123#, 2008 – dropped 7# for a new low around April, gained back 35# thru Oct, dropped 20# of that by year’s end for a net GAIN of about 8# in 2008.  I started gaining when my races started up – around 15# and held.  Then after they were all over I put the 20# more back on.  I need to watch that pattern this year!  By the start of my 2009 season I want to finally get to my goal!!!  Looking to go from 152 to 135 and then maintain that thru the season and beyond!

WHY AM I HERE:
2008 was an amazing year!  After being so incredibly overweight for 13+ years I was finally doing what I loved.  It was a year of firsts and was all about finishing my races.  In 2009 I’m looking to get faster!  This is a complex sport and with one year under my belt I realize I know even less than I thought I did, LOL!  I can’t wait to get started on this next season and I am here to get some great guidance, soak up all I can learn, and share in the joys of this amazing sport with everyone else here!
2009-01-07 10:51 PM

Brandon, MS

NAME: scottmckenzierx/scott

STORY: I was introduced to triathlon when I was about 10 yeares old.  Had some family friends that were triathletes and we did a lot of travelling to watch their races and got to meet some of the great old school pros.  I did some youth triathlons when i was young, also.  I was tipping the scales at 215lbs. and had nothing but excuses for reasons why I couldn't get out and do something to improve my fitness (working 2 jobs, kids etc.)  Last July, I was reading an article in Outside magazine entitled "The Fittest Real Men in America" about some guys that worked as much as I did and had families, etc and still found the time to be elite athletes and I decided there would be no more excuses.  I decided to revisit triathlon, the sport I was mesmerized by as a child.  The next day I ran for the first time and could manage about one minute before I had to walk.  Over the next 2 months I built up to 30 minutes and can no run about 5 miles (Don't get me wrong, they're 5 slooooooooooow miles; but they are 5 miles nonoetheless!!).  I have joined the local triathlon team (Mississippi Heat Triathlon Team).  I finished swimming lessons about a month ago.  I am slowly building my base now.  Cycling is something I have had to do on the spin bikes at the gym up to this point; but, I will be a bike owner within a couple of weeks. 

CURRENT TRAINING: 2x/week swim,cycle and run.  Kettlebells and medicine ball workouts 2x/week.  Actual trainig plan starts January 29th. 

FAMILY STATUS:  Married.  2 kids (Jenna age 3 and Parker 3 months).

LAST YEAR'S RACES: none

2009 RACES: 
 Rebel Man Sprint Triathlon, Heatwave CLassic Triathlon and another event later in the season ~ August, then start marathon training after a full year of running with goal race in January 2010

WEIGHTLOSS:  Started at 215lbs.  Currently 194 pounds so have lost 21 so far.  Would like to lose 20 more to reach my IBW ~172lbs.

MOTIVATION:  There are so many motivations for me:  Team Hoyt, David Goggins, all the Ironman finishers who did it with physical disabilities (although if they can finish an ironman can you call it a disability???), weight loss, physical fitness, proving that I can do anything I set my mind to, the good feeling you get after a run, my wife thinking I look hot again now that I have lost weight, and the list continues.....

I guess I'll be the rookie of the group and look forward to earning the title you have all already earned- "triathlete" 

Edited by scottmckenzierx 2009-01-07 11:14 PM
2009-01-07 10:56 PM
in reply to: #1893426

New user

Oh, that's definitely the last thing you need to worry about.  Triathlon is so much more than swimming, biking and running.  Throw in transitions, nutrition/hydration, strength training, race tactics, pacing....

You'll finish pretty easily but suddenly realize just how much more there is in order to get really good.

I think that's one of the things that is so appetizing about this to me. It involves so much work and dedication.

2009-01-07 11:03 PM
in reply to: #1891260

Regular
Chicago

Hello everybody! I am really excited to see all of you out there. We seem to have a big group here with lots of good energy! Like Ryan, I am going to put all of you in my friends list.

This week I signed up for my first race of the season - Galena - and I am nervous about it because it is very hilly and the water is very very cold!

JeepFleeb - 2009-01-06 10:54 PM

Do you have any ideas about what might have led to your injuries?  Too much, too fast?  Not enough stretching/rest?

Yes, too much too fast last June and July. I was pushing too hard. 

This year I am going to listen more closely to any little pains and train around them. I know I can complete the distances, its just a matter of how fast. I don't mind sacrificing speed for overall long term health and functionality.

2009-01-08 7:05 AM

Elite
Anyone have a list of everyone in the group?
2009-01-08 8:16 AM
in reply to: #1894258

Master
Roswell, GA

aarondavidson - 2009-01-08 8:05 AM Anyone have a list of everyone in the group?

I just send a pm to someone in Gordo's group who I know made the table with names and links for their group asking how you do it.  I'll try to get us one made today.

2009-01-08 8:17 AM

Regular
Lawton / Fort Sill, OK

Good morning everyone!!

I've added all to my friends list also.  I'm going to put in my goals and planned workouts today.   Seems like a varied and eager group.  Great to be a part of it.

Michael

2009-01-08 8:18 AM
in reply to: #1894390

Expert
Greenville, SC
Lisa B - 2009-01-08 9:16 AM

I just send a pm to someone in Gordo's group who I know made the table with names and links for their group asking how you do it.  I'll try to get us one made today.

I can make us a table.... Did that for a couple of challenge teams before, so that wouldn't be a problem.... Any suggestions on the background pic?

Edited by ratkat 2009-01-08 8:18 AM
2009-01-08 8:22 AM
in reply to: #1894395

Master
Roswell, GA
ratkat - 2009-01-08 9:18 AM
Lisa B - 2009-01-08 9:16 AM

Cool - you do it since I have no idea how! 

For the picture I would suggest either some type of mass swim start or a cool biking pic.  Doesn't matter though as long as it's tri related.

I added everyone to my friends list too.

I can make us a table.... Did that for a couple of challenge teams before, so that wouldn't be a problem.... Any suggestions on the background pic?

2009-01-08 9:46 AM

Regular
Fort Myers, FL
Is the group still open? If so I will put in all my info this evening. Sounds like a great group.
2009-01-08 9:59 AM
in reply to: #1894666

Edited by JeepFleeb 2009-01-08 9:59 AM
2009-01-08 12:56 PM

Expert
Greenville, SC
Subject: RE: JeepFleeb's mentor group - FULL

JeepFleeb's Mentor Group - AARON

prof40- DAVID
icychacal- RYAN
aarondavidson- AARON
scottmckenzierx- SCOTT
3guysdad- GREG
skywashed- MARCY
big_d- DEREK
rlejeune- ROBERT
patarero - JASON
icomak- LAUREN
lisa_b- LISA
brickey- DAVID
ratkat- KATHRIN
rreischl- RENEE
tr1hawaii- MICHAEL
2009-01-08 12:57 PM

Expert
Greenville, SC
Subject: RE: JeepFleeb's mentor group - FULL

Here you go....

@Jason... Your training log is not public, therefore your user name is not linked anywhere!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JeepFleeb's mentor group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 14