Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 20

2010-04-08 8:32 AM
in reply to: #2775882

User image

Expert
Missouri
Subject: RE: BikerGrrrl's Group - OPEN
otter_sh - 2010-04-07 9:59 PM Can I be your token male or is this for women only????

Steve

Anyone named Steve is OK by me (my husband's name is SteveLaughing)!

Seriously, I don't think Emily said "women only" so I don't see why you shouldn't be able to join us.  Welcome!

2010-04-08 9:01 AM
in reply to: #2776507

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: BikerGrrrl's Group - CLOSED

Welcome Leslie, Lauren and Steve!  Since I've never done this mentoring group thing before, I will close the group now.  That way we can keep track of each other a little bit more easily.

More follow-up soon... Have to do some work at work occasionally

Edited by BikerGrrrl 2010-04-08 9:01 AM
2010-04-08 9:24 AM
in reply to: #2775689

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Leslie - that's funny that we're so similar!  It makes a huge difference to have a bike riding partner.  My husband had to take a few weeks off when he was sick, and it was SO boring to do my longer ride.

I recommend that you log your training on BT, unless you have another system that works for you.  I love to look back on my progress.  

I'm jealous you have a tri coming up so soon!  The water is still too cold here

lesliericheytoo - 2010-04-07 8:34 PM I haven't read all the posts...I will...but my trainer says these groups fill up fast and I want to join. I don't have to tell you my story because it is the same as yours. Right down to the inactive past and bike riding mechanic husband. I didn't "hire" a trainer...my husband fixes her bike. It's a kind of exchange.

I have always been over weight and in 2006 I had gastric bypass. I have now gotten to the point where I feel comfortable exercising and have come to enjoy it quite a bit.

My first triathlon is April 24. I'm doing the Sprint distance at the Galveston Iron-man. I am excited and a little nervous (about the run) but I think I can do it. I plan on doing more over the summer. I've decided that triathlons give working out meaning and purpose. There is a goal. My first event is just to say I did one. I NEVER thought I could or would do something like this and in a few weeks...it'll be done.

Look forward to talking with you.

2010-04-08 9:26 AM
in reply to: #2775764

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Lauren -  have fun with the bike shopping! What are you looking at?

2010-04-08 9:26 AM
in reply to: #2775882

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

But now you have to introduce yourself.  Can you handle the estrogen?

otter_sh - 2010-04-07 9:59 PM Can I be your token male or is this for women only????

Steve

2010-04-08 9:29 AM
in reply to: #2775797

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Carrie - glad to hear that about the suit!  I have a new Xterra myself and was impressed how it felt when I tried it on.  I am christening mine at the Rev3 in Knoxville in May, when I do the swim portion of the relay.  Fortunately the folks I am racing with (other BTers) don't care about my speed, so I thought it was a good chance to try it.

I know what you mean about following a scheduling.  I would always load a plan then promptly stop following it, doing my workouts when I felt like it.   I am being more strict now since I am paying for the coach, so I figure I'll improve just through sheer volume.

Bummer about the shin splints...  Is there anything you can do to improve that?

By the way, I am Athena too.  When it's available, I race in that category.   I like being in the smaller group, and I actually got 3rd place in a race because of it.  Of course, there were only 3 of us.. 

Edited by BikerGrrrl 2010-04-08 9:30 AM

2010-04-08 9:37 AM
in reply to: #2776737

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Carrie - I just realized you'll be at Knoxville too.  You will have to come to the BT tent so we can meet.  We'll be swimming at the same time!

2010-04-08 9:42 AM
in reply to: #2776764

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
Can't wait to meet.  A guy in my last mentor group is doing it as well.  I just hope that water is semi- warm.

Hey guys, I did a 53 second 50 last night in the pool (without the wetsuit).  That is huge for me, and I got a compliment from the coach (which NEVER happens).

Hope everyone's training is going well.
2010-04-08 10:12 AM
in reply to: #2769762

carrie - do you live in East Tennesse or are you traveling for the event?  I live very nearby - I'll have to look up that race. 

Emily not sure why I didn't catch K-town in your list o'races. 

on tap for today - another bike ride.  this time without the killer hill or the 90 degree turns down a short street/cul de sac.  I'm only doing 8 miles, but I really want to see what my average speed is on a loop where no brakes are required.

2010-04-08 10:25 AM
in reply to: #2776919

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
I live in Illinois and just happen to be in Tennessee for vacation so am doing the Rev 3.  I am also doing the Taylorsville aquabike on my way home in Kentucky.

So hopefully you can give us the low-down on the race.  Any details appreciated.
2010-04-08 10:26 AM
in reply to: #2776919

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Brooke - stay tuned into the "official BT gathering" thread on the main forum and there will eventually be info about a meeting place.  You should come, even if you don't want to race it.    Good luck with the bike ride.

I tried to ride my bike to work morning and it was too cold, so I turned around and went home.  I put my bike in the car in hopes of riding home tonight and then back in the morning.  I don't mind the colder temps (30s), but I wasn't dressed for it and my extremeties were telling me to cease and desist.    It's a 14.5 mile ride each way, so I couldn't really tough it out for fear of losing the skin on my face!

2010-04-08 10:28 AM
in reply to: #2776978

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Sounds like a fun trip!    What's the plan for your trip?  I hope you're going through Memphis and visiting Elvis.

carrie639 - 2010-04-08 10:25 AM I live in Illinois and just happen to be in Tennessee for vacation so am doing the Rev 3.  I am also doing the Taylorsville aquabike on my way home in Kentucky.

So hopefully you can give us the low-down on the race.  Any details appreciated.

2010-04-08 11:37 AM
in reply to: #2776726

User image

Expert
Palm Bay
BikerGrrrl - 2010-04-08 10:26 AM

Steve

But now you have to introduce yourself. 

Hi I'm steve - I an a person who participates in triathlons because Dr. ordered exercise and I bore easily in running.

I completed 3 super sprints last year and DNfed 1, due to mentally getting psyched out and just quitting.

I am coming off the last mentor period where I mostly focused on Swimming and trying to do something most days.

Story: I have been a couch potato who "exercised" by doing 5-6 3-5K races a year, with little exercise in between.  I have had various medical issues, have been diagnosed with High Cholestral, GERD, Fibra Myalgia, Restless Leg Syndrom, Sleep Apnia.  I have lots of places on my body with little bumps under the skin, that are very painful to the touch.  I am currently 234.5, which is at least 70 pounds over my ideal weight.  I am on 6 different medicines for the list above.

Family: I am married to Karen (23 yrs - 12/27), have 4 children (Sarah (22) ,Karoline (20) ,Chris (19) ,Abigail (16).  One Senior in College, Junior in College, Senior in High School and Sophomore in High School.

Current Training: Just getting back into training consistently.  Will be building base miles mostly.  Currently can ride at about 13 MPH for about 60 minutes.  Jog/Walk at 1 minute walk / 2 minute jog for about 2 miles.  Swimming in a Master's club so averaging about 2000 yards, 3 days a week.  Starting a Tri clinic tonight, but it is really just 4 practice runs on the Pinapple course on last 4 Saturdays in May (during which time I have 2 graduations)

2010 Races: Flamingo Run 5K on April 24, Rotary Club Pinapple man Sprint Tri on June 6.  Planning on but not signed up for Daddy Day Sprint Tri in June, Publix FFM Sprint Tri in Aug and Health First Sprint Tri in Oct. 

Weightloss: Need to change lots of parameters, drink too much soda and eat too much junk. 

Why would I be a good mentee?: I log my workouts, regularly communicate issues, need encouragement to keep going.  I also provide encouragement for others to help keep everyone going.

Can you handle the estrogen?

I am willing to give it a try if you are willing to have me in the group.

2010-04-08 12:05 PM
in reply to: #2777246

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
Hey good to meet you Steve. I was recently diagnosed with Fibromyalgia as well . . . not fun.

One thing I learned from my last mentor group, which has enabled me to lose another 8-10 lbs was the following:

"Breakfast like a king, lunch like a peasant, dinner like a pauper".  I have found that by shifting my bigger, heavier meals to the earlier part of the day, I have lost more weight.  I still eat the snacks throughout the day, but generally eat something smaller for dinner, if anything because I don't have time.  I think I have started eating a little healthier, but not totally. I am having an individual pizza for lunch with a bag of doritos, but it is working.

I know this one is hard for people with families that like to have dinner together, but maybe a light dinner??
2010-04-08 12:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Plainfield, IL

I am not sure what happened, my last two posts did not post!

Carrie, we are not too far from each other, I am in Plainfield and sometimes I do rides with another BT'er (only when it is WARM!) on the Fox Valley River trail from Aurora to Elgin, so maybe we can meet up for a ride sometime!

I have not been able to find time or get motivated to do anything this week, my son has started Baseball now and my husband is going back to school, so it looks like I will have to shift to the 5 am workouts, which means I have to shift to the 8:30 pm bedtime.  Boo. 

2010-04-08 12:52 PM

I won't be racing that weekend, but I'll definitely keep my eye out for BT get together details! And depending on how things go on Memorial day - there is always next year!

2010-04-08 1:09 PM
in reply to: #2777566

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Steve - that's an unfortunate list of ailments to live with.  I hope the consistent activity helps you achieve your goals, healthwise. 

I agree that "just running" or in my case "just going to the gym" without purpose, was totally boring.  I am sure I'd be back to square one if I hadn't found a sport to immerse myself in.  There's so much to do like try new distances, acheive personal goals, try new races, that I can't imagine losing interest.   It's nice, too, that's something you can do year round.

That's a good suggestion about not having heavy dinners.  I enjoy a nice dinner and when I counted calories, I would save more than half for the evening (between dinner, wine, and dessert).  It is an activity that I do with my husband and it would be wierd to change that.  But sometimes I just feel like having cereal   We order pizza a lot...

2010-04-08 2:39 PM
in reply to: #2777451

User image

Master
Elgin, IL

I am up for rides, just not sure about riding on trails. Just worry about not having enough room to ride and be able to do the speeds or workouts I might need to do.  I will try anything once though.

I am riding with a Lifetime Fitness group this weekend.  Over time I will compile rides and I can do with anyone then.

2010-04-08 3:23 PM
in reply to: #2777893

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I am guessing not all trails are equal.  I DEFinitely avoid the "around the lake" trails in Minneapolis.  They even have a speed limit.  I am always surprised when I see anyone other than a casual biker on them.  We have some great trails in the twin cities that I would describe as more "bicycle highways".  No speed limit, one ways, wide, etc.   Pretty lucky!   I am able to take one of these for 9 of my 14.5 mile commute.

Don't ask about the other 5.5 miles - yikes, scary.  But it does get the adrenaline going.  It's at least better than when I biked from downtown Minneapolis through rush hour traffic, left turns, people crossing bike lanes, busses, oh my.

THis is my "winter bike".  An old steel roadie with fenders and studded tires.

Edited by BikerGrrrl 2010-04-08 3:24 PM

(embike.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
embike.jpg (41KB - 15 downloads)
2010-04-08 3:34 PM

what's the scoop on riding in the rain?  is it one of those things you suck up and just do (like running) or is it best to skip on rainy days? 

its pretty gloomy out and i've got an 8 miler scheduled for tonight.  i'm a fan of running in the rain, just didn't want to hurt anything (me or my bike).
2010-04-08 3:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Plainfield, IL

Wow, nice ride for the winter, big props for riding when there is snow on the ground!

The fox river trail is not too bad, pretty empty but we usually go early in the morning and makes for a long ride.  Otherwise we have a lot of open farmland out here to ride, but it gets really windy until the corn grows high enough to block it.

Gonna try to get a ride in this weekend, and will start to ride my bike to work in June, can't now due to my husband's schedule and kids in daycare, so I am looking forward to combining my commute with training!

2010-04-08 3:40 PM
in reply to: #2778089

User image

Master
Elgin, IL

I never do anything outside in bad weather (total baby) . . . but since you already admitted to running in the rain, SUCK IT UP, its only 8 miles. Tongue out (I am riding on the trainer tonight)

Just be careful and don't get fancy.

P.S. I am not sure when I will do if I face a bad weather race.  Haven't so far . . .

2010-04-08 3:43 PM
in reply to: #2778089

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I personally avoid riding in the rain if possible.  It's dangerous (the painted lines are SUPER slippery), cold and then I have to clean my bike.  After riding in the rain, the bike gets a total wash and chain lube.  On those days, I either rearrange my schedule or ride inside (trainer, or gym bike, depending on the workout).

That said... it's a good riding skill.  I have ended up in the rain on longer rides, unintentionally.  It's not as bad in the summer.  You have to ask yourself if you would ride in the rain for a race.  If yes, then best to try it.  If no, then you have your answer!  Everything is harder.  Sometimes I cannot wear my sunglasses because they get too wet and I need wipers. Othertimes, you need the eye protection.  You also want to be careful of getting too cold.

smartstrongsexy - 2010-04-08 3:34 PM what's the scoop on riding in the rain?  is it one of those things you suck up and just do (like running) or is it best to skip on rainy days? 

its pretty gloomy out and i've got an 8 miler scheduled for tonight.  i'm a fan of running in the rain, just didn't want to hurt anything (me or my bike).

2010-04-08 3:44 PM
in reply to: #2778115

carrie639 - 2010-04-08 4:40 PM

I never do anything outside in bad weather (total baby) . . . but since you already admitted to running in the rain, SUCK IT UP, its only 8 miles. Tongue out (I am riding on the trainer tonight)

Just be careful and don't get fancy.

P.S. I am not sure when I will do if I face a bad weather race.  Haven't so far . . .

Carrie the first thing that got me outside was my half marathon training - i had 8 miles to run.  7 miles on the treadmill and i almost died of bordom. 

now i just throw on a hat to keep the rain out of my eyes and get over it. 

i'll be extra careful since i don't have a helmet yet.
2010-04-08 3:44 PM
in reply to: #2778102

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Okay, I admit I walked through all the slushy bits! At that time they were few and far between.  Black asphalt dries up pretty fast.

Being able to commute by bike saves so much time.  Good luck working it out.

swimmom2002 - 2010-04-08 3:38 PM

Wow, nice ride for the winter, big props for riding when there is snow on the ground!

The fox river trail is not too bad, pretty empty but we usually go early in the morning and makes for a long ride.  Otherwise we have a lot of open farmland out here to ride, but it gets really windy until the corn grows high enough to block it.

Gonna try to get a ride in this weekend, and will start to ride my bike to work in June, can't now due to my husband's schedule and kids in daycare, so I am looking forward to combining my commute with training!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BikerGrrrl's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 20