General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Athena/ Clydesdale Official Mentor Group Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2012-07-12 1:04 PM
in reply to: #4307948

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Subject: RE: Athena/ Clydesdale Official Mentor Group
leatherneckpa - 2012-07-12 11:31 AM

I don't have much of a plan as yet.  I'm doing motivational walks with my wife each day of one mile to keep her going.  Then I'm doing my tri training on my own after she leaves for work.  As of yesterday that consists of M/W/F as a 2 mile walk and T/Th/Sa as a 4.5 mile bike ride.  Actually, I want to double the bike to a 9 mile double loop starting next Tuesday.  I was going to double the bike today but wimped out.  I console myself with the fact that it was only my fourth bike of the season.  But now that I've put it out there to all my "training partners" I won't be able to break weak.Undecided

I'm waiting for my swimsuit to arrive so I can add swimming to the repertoire.  In the meantime, I have started doing my physical therapy exercises for my shoulder.  I've got a messed up rotator cuff from a disturbance I was breaking up at my prison.  At that time I'm going to switch it up to three swims and three bikes, with walks seven days a week.  I have to emphasize that phase because it is by far my weakest.  It's the one I hate the most.

I have planned my first tri to be the Blueman Tri on 10/13/2012.  For a training plan I have taken the average times for my age group and am working toward those as my goals for each stage.  I'm hoping to hit those averages around mid-September.  If I can do that then I want to switch up my training to doing two events per day together and each event twice a week until the day of Blueman.  Does that sound about right to y'all?

I think building up the walking (and eventually running) is a great way to get going.  I also think it's important to base your expectations on prior race results.   Each event is unique, so looking at averages is informative.

I DO personally really believe in using a professionally put together training plan.   It helps with focus and putting effort where it will have the most impact.   Perhaps once you feel more confident with the walking, you can find a short plan to follow in the 8-12 weeks leading up to your 10/13 event.

Further, when you're ready to work on running, I highly recommend the couch to 5k plan on Cool Running.com.   I have known many folks, myself included, who used that to get started.  They do a gradual build up and you can repeat weeks if you need some extra time.

2012-07-12 1:05 PM
in reply to: #4308086

User image

Champion
, Minnesota

jonD81 - 2012-07-12 12:40 PM Hey guys.  Training for my first tri in September but I'm thinking of doing one earlier just because I really want to.  I'm not really training per a specific routine but a combination of ones that I've seen on here and read in books and can fit in with my life.  I'm at the point in the training where I've established my base and now I'm starting to push myself.  Last night broke 26m on my 5k time and just got a new (used) road bike a few days ago and am psyched on riding and seeing the difference in time between that and my old MB.

I'm all for adding events into the schedule if it works out.  Go for it!  And enjoy that new bike.  I love bikes...

2012-07-12 2:08 PM
in reply to: #4306637

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona
I think this thread is a great idea.  Athenas and Clydesdales of all ranges of abilties and experiences can help one another.  I'm fairly experienced (been doing endurance events for about 6 years, and have done distances from sprint to IM).  My focus this year has been to race at a lighter weight.  I am getting close to falling below the Clydesdale cutoff (although I will always be a Clydesdale at heart), and have been a little quicker this year than previously.  I think that we as Athenas and Clydesdales have unique issues and knowledge.  I will check in with questions, observations, and other particpation as well going forward.  Thanks, Bikergrrrl, for starting the thread! 
2012-07-12 2:13 PM
in reply to: #4307948

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona
leatherneckpa - 2012-07-12 9:31 AM

I don't have much of a plan as yet.  I'm doing motivational walks with my wife each day of one mile to keep her going.  Then I'm doing my tri training on my own after she leaves for work.  As of yesterday that consists of M/W/F as a 2 mile walk and T/Th/Sa as a 4.5 mile bike ride.  Actually, I want to double the bike to a 9 mile double loop starting next Tuesday.  I was going to double the bike today but wimped out.  I console myself with the fact that it was only my fourth bike of the season.  But now that I've put it out there to all my "training partners" I won't be able to break weak.Undecided

I'm waiting for my swimsuit to arrive so I can add swimming to the repertoire.  In the meantime, I have started doing my physical therapy exercises for my shoulder.  I've got a messed up rotator cuff from a disturbance I was breaking up at my prison.  At that time I'm going to switch it up to three swims and three bikes, with walks seven days a week.  I have to emphasize that phase because it is by far my weakest.  It's the one I hate the most.

I have planned my first tri to be the Blueman Tri on 10/13/2012.  For a training plan I have taken the average times for my age group and am working toward those as my goals for each stage.  I'm hoping to hit those averages around mid-September.  If I can do that then I want to switch up my training to doing two events per day together and each event twice a week until the day of Blueman.  Does that sound about right to y'all?

You are off to a great start - keep working!  Be careful with your rotator cuff injury as you try to start swimming - you don't want to set yourself back by starting off with too much, too soon.  A sprint tri (Blueman) by October is a great goal.  Don't get too focused on average times for your AG for your first event.  You can keep them in mind as you train as benchmarks, but your main goal for Tri #1 should be to finish and have fun doing it.  Welcome to the lifestyle!

2012-07-12 4:16 PM
in reply to: #4306776

User image

Pennsylvania
Stillmanji - 2012-07-11 6:59 PM

I'm in!

I've been on here for 6 mo or so, and have completed a couple of Sprints and 2 shorter "fun" races, but I am TERRIBLE at logging my training.  Maybe this will be a good thread/group for getting me to focus more, and share in the motivation of others!

Logging workouts has a positive result for me in a few ways.  1) I can easily see when I worked out, how long/far I worked out, and I can add a few notes about the workout or the day  2)Seeing the totals along the left inspire me to try to hit a certain number, like run 15 miles in the month (running gets the least amount of attention from me so this was actually a goal of mine for June Embarassed)  3) allows others see what you have done and allow them to motivate you/cheer you/etc.

Anyone can feel free to add me as a friend!

2012-07-12 4:32 PM
in reply to: #4308598

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
melbo55 - 2012-07-12 4:16 PM
Stillmanji - 2012-07-11 6:59 PM

I'm in!

I've been on here for 6 mo or so, and have completed a couple of Sprints and 2 shorter "fun" races, but I am TERRIBLE at logging my training.  Maybe this will be a good thread/group for getting me to focus more, and share in the motivation of others!

Logging workouts has a positive result for me in a few ways.  1) I can easily see when I worked out, how long/far I worked out, and I can add a few notes about the workout or the day  2)Seeing the totals along the left inspire me to try to hit a certain number, like run 15 miles in the month (running gets the least amount of attention from me so this was actually a goal of mine for June Embarassed)  3) allows others see what you have done and allow them to motivate you/cheer you/etc.

Anyone can feel free to add me as a friend!

Absolutely - I love the feedback I can get from logging.  I will look at what I did over the month, what I did in previous months to set goals.  I often look at my training from before a big event and compare it to the year before for same/similar events so I can say "hey, I did better so I will do better" or sometimes "I didn't feel prepared last year, but I know I did the same and was just fine.".   The graphs and reports are worth the logging.   I am SUPER religious about it, and it's paid off in spades.   I also love seeing how many miles/yards I have covered at the end of the year!

2012-07-12 6:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Alaska
I'm another regular logger. It is always best to keep track, match my training to my plans...I can see progress. And, of course, there's the accountability to myself and BT friends.
2012-07-12 7:22 PM
in reply to: #4308872

User image

Champion
, Minnesota

I tried to do the run - for you guys!  I got a little over half completed, but the blanket of heat and just feeling kind of crummy got to me today.  It did make me realize I need to promise myself to do long runs on weekend mornings, when I can be successful.

How did everyone else's training go?

2012-07-12 7:27 PM

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania

I'm in, but I have no idea what a mentor group does, this is my first.

I love the BT training log, it is my concrete pat on the back of progress. I log as immediately as I can.

I am right now in a custom made (by this site) HIM program for Beach 2 Battleship. I also have a half marathon Sept 8 and a 5k swim in August, so I will be upping those sessions appropriately.

2012-07-12 7:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Everett
At the gym now: strength training then run then masters swim team!!
2012-07-12 8:19 PM
in reply to: #4308934

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

I am so glad I did my solo bike this morning.  Things went exactly as expected when Cindy got home, "It's too hot.  I'm too tired.  I'll get up early tomorrow morning."  So she missed her workout today, but I got mine in.  Granted, she's not planning on doing a tri, I am.  Tomorrow will be interesting.  1 mile walk with her at 6 am and then my solo 2 miles around 8 am after she leaves for work.

Found a video on youtube this afternoon about adjusting my rear derailleur.  I'll give that a try tomorrow as well.

2012-07-12 8:21 PM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Did my typical 14.5 mile route tonight but it was the first time with my new bike and it was good.  Usually takes me 53 mins (16mph avg pace) but tonight was 45 min (18.9mph avg pace) and the gears are still slipping a bit so I got messy on a couple hills where I couldn't shift down enough.  My cousin works at a bike shop so I'll bring the bike and a 6 pack down this weekend and we'll get it set up just right.  I had a ton left in the tank too, I think I can get down close to 40 minutes once I get used to the bike and push it.
2012-07-12 9:45 PM

User image

Regular
Albury, Australia
Today is my long ride day (well only 44 mins but long for me). Got half way, and it poured rain. But I finished, and now have earned a warm bath!
2012-07-12 10:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Alaska

<grump>I'm feeling a bit disgruntled. Arranged to run/bike with a friend tonight. Usually I am solo, so this was a departure. Well, it's raining, so she wanted to just run. Okay.

But her dog got out and wouldn't come back. And it was cold. And she didn't like running, even on intervals. And it was wet. So we walked, but the total walk was 2.something and there was no real running. Nothing worse than a wasted workout.

</grump>

2012-07-12 10:28 PM
in reply to: #4309091

User image

Champion
, Minnesota

Nice workouts!

Calluna - sometimes working out with a friend is just the ticket, sometimes it totally derails.   I have a friend that I run with and sometimes we finishing thinking "I'm so glad we did this together, or I wouldn't have" and other times I get totally thrown off and it's miserable.  

2012-07-13 5:13 AM

User image

Veteran
On my Bike or SUP, west of OBX
Count me in on this!!!  I like where this thread is going.  Nice job BikerGrrrl!!!!

2012-07-13 6:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
1st walk of the day done.  Cindy did get up and out for her mile.  20:55, she's almost below 20!  Best of all, I think the success at the scales in Weight Watchers is motivating her to keep with it.  I doubt that she will ever tri, but at least she's walking.  My solo walk will be around 8, after she's left for work.
2012-07-13 6:27 AM

User image

Pro
Me likey. Great work getting this up and going BikerGrrrl.
2012-07-13 7:07 AM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
How many of you work out in the morning?  If so, more power to you!  I'm generally a morning person, I love to get to work early and start the day before others wake up, but I just do not have the ability to get a quality workout in before I have my breakfast and mentally prepare for my day.  I can knock out a run or bike if it's the only time it will work, but I don't feel like I get a lot out of the training that early.  I may try to toughen up and do a few rides in the morning beacuse it's so much cooler than the afternoon/evening but I don't know.
2012-07-13 7:43 AM

New user

count me in, only problem with this thread is it is too popular so hard to keep up with everything, but that is an excellent problem to have!

I'm in base building mode before trying an IM in fall 2013 (haven't decided which one yet but will have to decide in the next couple of weeks, or my decision will be made based on races filling up).

Today i a rest/travel day, spending the weekend at parents cottage with some friends, generally not super healthy weekend but I get to do some OWS!

2012-07-13 7:47 AM
in reply to: #4309365

New user

jonD81 - 2012-07-13 8:07 AM How many of you work out in the morning?  If so, more power to you!  I'm generally a morning person, I love to get to work early and start the day before others wake up, but I just do not have the ability to get a quality workout in before I have my breakfast and mentally prepare for my day.  I can knock out a run or bike if it's the only time it will work, but I don't feel like I get a lot out of the training that early.  I may try to toughen up and do a few rides in the morning beacuse it's so much cooler than the afternoon/evening but I don't know.

I'm so not a morning person and I have a daily 730am meeting so I'm generally into the office by 7. There was another thread where people with similar schedules were talking about getting up at ~430 so they could get workouts in... crazy! I wish I could will myself to do this because it is much easier to have things come up that interfere after work than before

2012-07-13 8:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Just finished my actual training walk for the day.  On the one hand, I was a little disappointed that it was almost exactly a minute slower than my first effort at two miles.  On the other hand, I expected to be a little slower, having already done Cindy's walk at 6 am.  So in reality I've walked three miles today instead of just two.  And I'm sure we don't see improvement every single day, there are ups and downs and plateaus in everyone's log I'd bet.  So all things considered I'm satisfied.  2 miles - 19:06 out and 36.30 total.  Arms down, normal loping walk out; arms up and shorter, quicker strides on the way back (downhill).

As for the morning workout question ,,, I learned to do that at Parris Island and prefer it right now because, as you all know, heat really knocks it out of a wide-body like me.  But given my druthers, I'd rather workout after work.  It helps me to decompress and I feel great afterwards.  When I was still working at the prison I would go to the fitness center at 1000 or 1130 pm after my shift.  Now that I'm retired I suppose I'll have the luxury of picking and choosing my workout times.  I'll keep doing 6 am walks with Cindy because she won't do them alone.   And maybe I'll try to schedule my workouts to coincide with COB at the bank, that way I might motivate her to leave the bank at a reasonable time.

2012-07-13 8:40 AM

User image

Elite
Minnetonka

Good morning folks!  I had a really great swim this morning in a local lake.  I found a great shallow water spot that is boat free and you can see the bottom the whole time (I am swimming with a real beginner, and he feels safer when he can see bottom).

Just had to share.  My next race is in two days!!!

2012-07-13 8:46 AM

User image

Regular
Albury, Australia
I HAVE to train early (5 or 5.30) most days or it just won't happen! That has been my excuse for too long (mind you being winter here, sub freezing temps are dulling my bike motivation)
2012-07-13 9:15 AM
in reply to: #4309365

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

jonD81 - 2012-07-13 5:07 AM How many of you work out in the morning?  If so, more power to you!  I'm generally a morning person, I love to get to work early and start the day before others wake up, but I just do not have the ability to get a quality workout in before I have my breakfast and mentally prepare for my day.  I can knock out a run or bike if it's the only time it will work, but I don't feel like I get a lot out of the training that early.  I may try to toughen up and do a few rides in the morning beacuse it's so much cooler than the afternoon/evening but I don't know.

I depend on the morning workouts - it's a good feeling to have the workout done before the day really starts, and I don't have to worry about work or something else interefering with getting it done if I plan to do it later in the day.  It's a control thing, really - I like to make sure I work out while I still have control over the time.  I'm really not a morning person - a lot of times it's like a kidnapping situation - the workout is halfway over before my body wakes up and realizes what is happening. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Athena/ Clydesdale Official Mentor Group Rss Feed  

of 45