BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya's Group: SHUT like dog on steak, sorry! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 61

2007-12-09 11:50 AM
in reply to: #1088776

User image

Master
Victoria BC
Subject: RE: TriAya's Group -- CLOSED ('til further notice)
Ok I am back from my 5 K. I showed up and was the only one from my group to show so I decided to run a nice slow non stop 5 k and did it in 35 min. Was raining when I started and turned to SNOW. No run buddies and no Mp3 player but didn't actually find it to hard to do so that is good.

2007-12-09 12:02 PM
in reply to: #1090156

User image

Champion
Taser-World
TriAya - 2007-12-08 4:29 PM

Beth, dear! So glad you found us, and right under the gun, too.

Leslie, welcome to the pack! Please do post your particulars--it's great to have you on board.

I closed this group because we now have 8 members, and that's still close, supportive, and manageable. If someone doesn't post or log consistently (for whatever reason) or isn't able to be involved, no worries--we won't boot you! You're always welcome! But we may let another soul or two in then.

MrsUSMC -- Terri

lastcall 2003 -- Beth

Medusa Ann -- Leslie

wplummer -- Will

HCS5QA -- Hector

ldatug -- Laura

ShawnC13 -- Shawn

TriAya -- Yanti

Yanti, Beth and Hector.... in the same group? Oh my.

Too bad I didn't see this thread until after the group was closed. Would have loved to get in on the action.

OK, I'm off to read the other mentor profiles. Although, I think THIS group is gonna have more fun than anyone else! LOL

2007-12-09 12:29 PM
in reply to: #1090937

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

ShawnC13 - 2007-12-09 11:50 AM Ok I am back from my 5 K. I showed up and was the only one from my group to show so I decided to run a nice slow non stop 5 k and did it in 35 min. Was raining when I started and turned to SNOW. No run buddies and no Mp3 player but didn't actually find it to hard to do so that is good.

WTG Shawn!  Nice job of staying motivated and getting it done in spite of the situation!

2007-12-09 12:31 PM
in reply to: #1090937

User image

Master
Fort Worth

ShawnC13 - 2007-12-09 9:50 AM Ok I am back from my 5 K. I showed up and was the only one from my group to show so I decided to run a nice slow non stop 5 k and did it in 35 min. Was raining when I started and turned to SNOW. No run buddies and no Mp3 player but didn't actually find it to hard to do so that is good.

Wow Shawn you are a trooper running in the cold rain and snow, that's dedication. I ran in the rain yesterday but it wasn't that cold. You rock! 

2007-12-09 12:41 PM
in reply to: #1090362

User image

Master
Fort Worth
ldatug - 2007-12-08 5:11 PM

Ran 2 miles w/o stopping tonight for the very first time.  Not a big deal to most, but running is by far my weakness, so it's a HUGE deal to me. 

Always remember in this stage of the game your competing against yourself and no one else. So when you finally hit 3 miles, 4miles, 5 miles and so on these will be great accomplishments for you. It will be the same feeling when you run that 2 mile distance even faster.

With that all said, great job and I look forward to hearing more of your achievements throughout the coming months.

2007-12-09 12:42 PM
in reply to: #1090979

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest
HCS5QA - 2007-12-09 10:31 AM

ShawnC13 - 2007-12-09 9:50 AM Ok I am back from my 5 K. I showed up and was the only one from my group to show so I decided to run a nice slow non stop 5 k and did it in 35 min. Was raining when I started and turned to SNOW. No run buddies and no Mp3 player but didn't actually find it to hard to do so that is good.

Wow Shawn you are a trooper running in the cold rain and snow, that's dedication. I ran in the rain yesterday but it wasn't that cold. You rock! 

I ran last night in the dark, when it was 30 degrees!  It was so fun, since I could check out all the holiday lights.  I really felt like going further than my 4 miles but am trying to stick to the established training plan. That said, I have no way to get on the bike for 90 min today so I am probably going to make this my rest day......it's challenging, this winter bike thing!  Currently snowing outside!

2007-12-09 12:49 PM
in reply to: #1090989

User image

Master
Fort Worth
Medusa_Ann - 2007-12-09 10:42 AM
HCS5QA - 2007-12-09 10:31 AM

I ran last night in the dark, when it was 30 degrees!  It was so fun, since I could check out all the holiday lights.  I really felt like going further than my 4 miles but am trying to stick to the established training plan. That said, I have no way to get on the bike for 90 min today so I am probably going to make this my rest day......it's challenging, this winter bike thing!  Currently snowing outside!

I want to do more then my training plan calls out for on my runs but I make myself hold back and now I understand taper madness, funny how that works.

Good job getting out in that cold weather, listening to you all I now have no excuse for not running in my cooler temps.

2007-12-09 4:04 PM

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: TriAya's Group: SHUT like dog on steak, sorry!

WOWEE this group is great--so much good stuff--getting out there to train despite the crazy cold and other challenges, holding yourself back when you should, and lots of cheering. NICELY DONE!

FYI I let two more folks in (they'll introduce themselves shortly); persistence is definitely an asset in this group! We have some outstanding experience and talent that's being shared around, so I think it'll work. Plus (as those of you who've been in other mentor and challenge groups know) the chatties will balance out the observers!

That said, we are now really SHUT LIKE A PITBULL ON SIRLOIN! Dee, or anyone else, if you're still lurking--go find Bajapat's group! He's a lot hotter than I am, for one thing, he's an outstanding athlete, for another, a kindly soul, for a third, and most importantly, his group's wide open.  

2007-12-09 5:00 PM

User image

MotoQueen
Hey, y'all have a great mentor in Yanti. Got to keep her serious though...
2007-12-09 5:26 PM

User image

Master
Victoria BC
Who needs serious I am here for fun. Sounds like I found the perfect place
2007-12-09 6:40 PM

User image

Master
Victoria BC
How do we add the people in this group as friends? I have no BT Friends

2007-12-09 6:48 PM
in reply to: #1091394

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

ShawnC13 - 2007-12-09 6:40 PM How do we add the people in this group as friends? I have no BT Friends

I'll post the answer here, in case anyone else has the same question.

1. Go to your log
  2. Click on the Control Panel Icon  (it's under quick links next to the calenda in the left hand navigation)
  3. You will then see the page that allows you to customize things on your log - friend, goals, etc.
  4. Click on the friends tab
  5. if you know their BT name (e.g. lastcall2003) you can enter it right into one of the open spots
  6. if you don't know their BT name, you can click on the button on the far right and it will open up a search window
  7. after you have added your friends, click on APPLY (it's waaaaay down at the bottom of the page)
  8. Presto - when you return to your log, your friends should display in the left hand navigation under all of the training info!

Hopefully this makes sense!

2007-12-09 8:26 PM
in reply to: #1091170

Expert
TriAya - 2007-12-09 5:04 PM

WOWEE this group is great--so much good stuff--getting out there to train despite the crazy cold and other challenges, holding yourself back when you should, and lots of cheering. NICELY DONE!

FYI I let two more folks in (they'll introduce themselves shortly); persistence is definitely an asset in this group! We have some outstanding experience and talent that's being shared around, so I think it'll work. Plus (as those of you who've been in other mentor and challenge groups know) the chatties will balance out the observers!

That said, we are now really SHUT LIKE A PITBULL ON SIRLOIN! Dee, or anyone else, if you're still lurking--go find Bajapat's group! He's a lot hotter than I am, for one thing, he's an outstanding athlete, for another, a kindly soul, for a third, and most importantly, his group's wide open.  

Hotter then you.... nope i don't think so...

But your getting a lot of dates latley... so I think someone has found out about your hotness
2007-12-09 9:07 PM

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
Hi! I'm one of the lucky souls who pestered Yanti until she broke and let me sneak into this mentor group. Yay me! Now if I can just work some of that persistence into my training (especially the swim, ick).

I'm Erin. I'm technically a tri virgin. I was all ready to do my first sprint tri in November, but they had to cancel the swim after some loser dumped a bunch of oil into San Francisco Bay. Needless to say the swim was canceled, but they held the bike/run so I guess that makes me a duathlete. So close! But just that one race was enough to make me a total addict -- it was seriously one of the best things I've ever done and I had a blast. I can hardly wait for my first *real* tri. In fact, I'm considering one in March, and now trying to decide if I should sign up for the sprint or, gasp, give the olympic a try.

Anyway, I'm still new to all of this. I started running a little over a year ago, swimming eight months ago and biking four months ago. Swimming is by far my weakest link, running is my favorite, and after the "duathlon" I figured out I'm a better biker than I thought (but I still have a hard time forcing myself to get out and there and train on the bike, especially in the dark/winter).

ETA: I forgot to mention my weight loss experience. I've lost about 50 pounds in the past 18 months through exercise and watching what I eat (*not* dieting -- I can't do diets). Technically I'd like to lose another 4 pounds just to reach my "goal" weight, but I feel great where I am now, so on the weight side of things I'm more focused on maintenance than losing pounds. If I lose more weight, fine, if I don't, also fine.

I'm so excited to train with all of you guys! Thanks for letting me join the fun, Yanti.

Edited by Fielding 2007-12-09 9:12 PM
2007-12-09 9:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, NE
Hello Everyone!

I’m one of the lucky additional people Yanti was telling you about! I had PM’d her and she was so wonderful as to allow me to slip in here with you all. I can’t tell you how excited I am! I know this is going to be an awesome group & I feel very lucky to have Yanti as a mentor! I can’t wait to work with you all to reach our goals! With that being said, let me tell you a little about me . . .

I am 32 and from Omaha, NE. I am brand new to the tri world and don’t have any racing experience in any of these disciplines. Now the thrill of competition and pushing myself is not new to me, but it has been missing for some time . . .

I was about the most active kid there was! Loved playing outside with the boys in the neighborhood – everything from biking, to just running around, to whatever sport they had going. I always wanted to be the best at whatever I tried and I would put the work in! Soccer was my LOVE, couldn’t get enough of it! Up through HS I had great endurance in running and biking, for that matter. But then gaining a lot of weight changed my whole lifestyle.

After starting college I became very inactive, my eating habits were awful, and I gained weight like crazy! Once that started, I still had the desire for an active lifestyle, but had a hard time trying to live it. I gave it a good try – played several sports extremely overweight – soccer, volleyball, walleyball, even took on hockey for the first time for a couple seasons! Then, I ruptured my Achilles tendon in walleyball and I’m sure weight was a factor. That was about 4 years ago. After that I didn’t dare try anything.

I committed this year (2007) and almost all of my extra time to losing weight and getting myself in shape. I was lucky to have a wonderful support group available to me online that made all the difference in me being able to succeed where I had failed over and over again for the last 12 years! I am used to working out 2+ hours per day & used to an AM and PM workout, so that gives me confidence that I will be able to put in the hours to train for a tri. Most of my exercise this year was in the form of jazzercise classes. I’ve done 520+ so far this year and still really enjoy them. Since January I’ve lost 120 of the 135 lbs I wanted to lose (to split myself in half!)

As I started getting close to my goal weight I was looking forward to cutting back some of the workout time and regaining some time for me. But then this longtime goal of mine crept back into my head . . . and actually started seeming almost possible . . . to complete an Ironman one day!

So about a month ago in looking up triathlons I found a HIM in Kansas – relatively close to me! I spent a couple weeks doing research and stumbled onto this site. I reviewed the free HIM training program and have spent the last couple of weeks trying to decide if I have it in me to work up to the starting point for the training plan by Jan 28. Honestly I’d like to be further along by then. I’ve done some swimming, biking & running during the last 2 weeks – not much – but enough that I am satisfied that with a lot of work I will be able to finish the HIM. I would like to do it proud, so I will do my best to train for it. But being new, my ultimate goal IS to finish. After finishing my first, watch out, because I know I will want to work on the times!

I am finally feeling like I have me back, the me that wants to take on the world! I signed up yesterday for the Kansas HIM and I am ready to do whatever it takes to make sure I am ready to finish that race! Then, one day, onto a full Ironman!

I look forward to learning more about all of you and having a great time working together towards our goals!

Renee
2007-12-09 11:50 PM

User image

Master
Victoria BC
WOW what an amazing group I feel out of place but I guess we need a Token Canadian and I am happy to be that.

2007-12-10 12:02 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Yes, Shawn, every group should be so lucky to have a token Canuck!

Welcome, Erin and Renee! This group is just amazing in terms of how we have reshaped our lives and our bodies. Just think--we are the people, and we do the things, that other people only dream of.

Speaking of dreams … and sleep … and napping (my favorite!), here are my thoughts on an important topic which just happens to be where I’m at in my training cycle.

REST AND RECOVERY
These need to take place after hard-effort or intense training (including races), as well as for a few continuous weeks during the year to recover from a string of races (season) or big race. With a group that’s this enthusiastic, energetic, and high-powered, we have to take this critical aspect of training seriously, and it’ll probably be the part we struggle with the most—to slow down and take it easy! (I know it is for me!)

Trick question: when are you making your biggest fitness gains?
Answer: it’s not when you’re working out!

Training stresses your body—you are literally tearing apart muscle fibers and taxing your systems. REST/RECOVERY is when you are actually making the fitness gains, as your body repairs itself slightly stronger than before.

1.      Physical and mental recovery. We also need the mental break in order to “recover” focus and motivation and keep it going.
2.      Increases enjoyment. When we’re so focused on training / numbers / racing / improvement, we can forget that the journey is the reward. Taking a break allows us to fully enjoy the journey, including the hard training parts. Also, when shmyte happens, as it will, we’ve already practiced taking breaks (oh, and it makes taper more bearable!) If it turns out we have to miss or cancel a race, we’ve had a great ride anyway, and rest/recovery is integral to making that possible.
3.      Decreases stress and injuries. Self-explanatory! Also, if you do “active” recovery (like slow easy spins, paddling in the water, walking, yoga, etc.) it’s that type of workout that really relieves stress.
4.      Assists life balance. Taking time off training allows you to use that time for other important things.

As always, feel free to ask questions about how much/what type of rest/recovery you might need and how it fits into a training schedule or cycle.

Happy training and happy fitness gaining!

Edited by TriAya 2007-12-10 12:03 AM
2007-12-10 12:10 AM

User image

Master
Victoria BC
I have never found the proper amount of rest after a big event. For my half marathons usually 2 days later I get a little depressed almost let down that the goal race has passed and feel unmotivated. I am not sure if it is because I haven't set a new goal to go for from there. So I am usually off for a while after this little depression then it is hard to get back at it. This year wasn't as bad as last but everyone around me seems to notice it.
2007-12-10 12:20 AM
in reply to: #1091951

User image

Melon Presser

ShawnC13 - 2007-12-10 12:10 AM I have never found the proper amount of rest after a big event. For my half marathons usually 2 days later I get a little depressed almost let down that the goal race has passed and feel unmotivated. I am not sure if it is because I haven't set a new goal to go for from there. So I am usually off for a while after this little depression then it is hard to get back at it. This year wasn't as bad as last but everyone around me seems to notice it.

Tell me about it. I'm in the thick of post-marathon depression (a real phenomenon! you can google it ... lots of helpful tips in the articles). The new goal thing really helps--even something silly, or a signing up for short run that gives its proceeds to charity (I'm doing a Speedo run next week that is both!).

It really helps me to do active recovery as I stated in the rest/recovery post--gets the circulation and endorphins flowing.

2007-12-10 12:21 AM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

As always, feel free to ask questions about how much/what type of rest/recovery you might need and how it fits into a training schedule or cycle.

This is really timely, Yanti...I am looking forward to race season and thinking I didn't really do a true recovery cycle after race season, thinking that since I didn't truly have A races, B races and so on, that it wasn't a "real" season..... but I did train a lot even though I wasn't religious about sticking to a plan.  Now that I am in the 2nd week of the Oly plan, I am starting to wonder if I haven't started it a little too soon for next season.  I'll be race ready at the end of April, yet I don't have a race at that time since most don't start until later in this part of the world.  I am contemplating dropping down to a Sprint plan, maybe somewhere towards the end of the cycle so that I am able to maintain my current fitness, and then after the new year (or even in Feb) start the Oly plan up again. This would enable me to get a little more 'rest' for the remainder of December, and allow me to plot a better schedule, especially for the cycling portion of the Oly plan.  Do you think this will help with my next season, or should I just stick to where I am in the Oly plan and try my darndest to fit it all in?  For Dec I have one potential 12k run and another on Jan. 1 (which may include a plunge into icy Lake Washington afterward!)......but nothing else on the calendar yet.  I was listening to the "Tri-Talk" podcast while I was running yesterday, and they were also talking about the importance of recovery.  Maybe the universe is trying to tell me something?....  thanks for your input!

2007-12-10 12:51 AM

User image

Expert
Yanti! Awesome job being a mentor, your group is lucky to have you! Good luck to everyone!

2007-12-10 2:18 AM

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
I have a couple questions about rest too. Right now I'm not following a specific plan. I'm focusing on my swim, so the "plan" is to swim three days a week, run twice a week and bike a couple times a month. (I'm actually considering this a rest month to avoid burning out over the holidays, after a particularly busy fall, both with training and real life.)

How do I work rest periods into my training? I haven't done this nearly long enough to be able to tell when I need a rest and when I'm just feeling a little tired but need to push through it. For now I'm "resting" by keeping myself to just five workouts a week, although I'm already thinking about adding another run day into the mix. If I do end up swimming three times a week and running three times a week, should I be tossing a rest week in there at some point? And what should I do during a rest week? Shorter runs/swims? Easy bike rides? All of the above?

(I love our group! So much energy in here!)
2007-12-10 10:06 AM

Regular

Ah...rest...something I dream about when I'm up w/ my one year old in the middle of the night. 

I got a warning from my body today that I may need a little rest.  I am a really competitive person (not really w/ others, but w/ myself if that makes sense).  I only want to do something if I can be good at it.  There in lies my problem with running.  I am TERRIBLE at it.  I feel winded five seconds after I start, and am lucky to run 1.3 or 1.4 miles straight.  The longest I've ever run continuously is 2 miles.  I've been adding runs into my BT plan when it doesn't call for it to try to improve my run.  Well...this morning I decided I wanted to try to run a 5K w/o stopping.  At about mile 1.2 I started getting shin pain in my left leg.  I started walking and stopped at 1.5 miles.  Now I'm mad at myself for not going the other 1.5 (even if it meant walking), but I know that my body is telling me to back off of the running a bit.  I'm trying to ramp up too fast.  I'm just terrified that I won't complete my sprint tri in March b/c of the run. Frown

2007-12-10 10:12 AM
in reply to: #1091945

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA
hey thanks for including me in your awesome group. your insight, enthusiasm, and knowledge is priceless. now the real fun begins....
2007-12-10 10:16 AM
in reply to: #1091402

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA
thanks for the info...now i have friends...
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya's Group: SHUT like dog on steak, sorry! Rss Feed  

of 61