BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Beginner Banquet -Sorry all tables are full no room.. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 61

2011-05-21 8:13 PM
in reply to: #3434952

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Beginner Banquet -Sorry all tables are full no room..

Woohooo!!! Way to go Dennis!  Very nice race, and sounds like you had a great time doing it too

Steve, 100 miles on the trainer, eeek!  Glad it went well and you stayed mostly dry.

Got an e-mail from the race director re: my last race.  Said the swim course was significantly longer than advertised.  No wonder the shore seemed to keep moving away from me.  Anyway, 26 miles on the bike + 3 mile run today with a good friend.  Had to store up some calories for anniversary dinner out.....23 years for me and the hubby

2011-05-21 8:23 PM

User image

Regular
I hate loosing to the ladies, but today at a 5K, some girl at, like, 2.5 mile mark decided to "go 4 it" and blew me outta the water.  I couldn't keep up with her.  I finished at 21:44.  5th overall, but I should have pushed a bit more to be in front of the girl.  Oh well,,,,
2011-05-21 9:39 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

There is a 10 mile race I do where 30 of the ladies run at a sub 6:00 mpm pace.  Then there is the Boston marathon where the ladies were running at a 5:00 mpm pace.... I really would not try to make a point of trying to stay ahead of the ladies 8). 

26 mile bike 3 mile brick, very nice... you are moving right up in endurance 8). 

2011-05-21 11:49 PM

User image

Colorado

Reading along and sending well wishes to everyone racing this weekend.

Dennis--nice job on the tri!

So I think I caught a cold from my oldest.  She ended up with an ear infection and I took her the doctor on Wednesday for that.  Meanwhile, I feel like crap:  congestion, sore throat, low-grade fever on and off.  Bleh.  That's been true yesterday and today.  I was planning to bike and swim today, but instead ended up pulling my youngest in the trailer for 9 miles and calling it good.  I'm really hopeful that I feel better for tomorrow's long run.  If I don't, I think 12 is going to be out of the question.  My husband thinks it's the same thing he had and he's better now so I'm crossing my fingers.

2011-05-22 12:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Woohoo Dennis! You had a good race and I am stoked for you! I really like your transition times- fast! Carol- your biking and running miles look great. Way to go! Troy- unless you gain some super human speed Steve will be right and there will always be ladies who are gonna beat ya. Thoough it sounds like she spurred you on and a little competition is good sometimes . I had a great workout this morning that I have not logged yet. 25 minute swim that I am still insure a out the distance because I had to use a small pool cause the regular one was booked. I worked on what I learned from TI videos. Have no clue if I did well or not. Then I did a 9 minute mile ( super good for and I did it jogging the entire time ) then I finished the last 18 minutes on the dreadmill. I will log It all to get distances figured out. One of these days I may start speaking in miles but for now it is minutes. By the way Steve, thanks for your long post about not getting discouraged. I don't think I am but it is soo good to hear where you are coming from. I really appreciate you and the other members. Kenzie I look forward to hearing how it went!
2011-05-22 12:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Woohoo Dennis! You had a good race and I am stoked for you! I really like your transition times- fast! Carol- your biking and running miles look great. Way to go! Troy- unless you gain some super human speed Steve will be right and there will always be ladies who are gonna beat ya. Thoough it sounds like she spurred you on and a little competition is good sometimes . I had a great workout this morning that I have not logged yet. 25 minute swim that I am still insure a out the distance because I had to use a small pool cause the regular one was booked. I worked on what I learned from TI videos. Have no clue if I did well or not. Then I did a 9 minute mile ( super good for and I did it jogging the entire time ) then I finished the last 18 minutes on the dreadmill. I will log It all to get distances figured out. One of these days I may start speaking in miles but for now it is minutes. By the way Steve, thanks for your long post about not getting discouraged. I don't think I am but it is soo good to hear where you are coming from. I really appreciate you and the other members. Kenzie I look forward to hearing how it went!

2011-05-22 12:36 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Everyone is doing great.  It is that first 1 mile jogged, that first 100 yards swum, first 5 miles biked that lead quickly to the 2nd and 3rd.  Overcoming the enertia to get out there is what it is all about.  With consistency you can build to an IM in 2 years.  It is crazy but true.  Your long runs will become longer than what used to be your long bikes and your swims will be in thousands of yards not hundreds.  It is amazing that as adults so many folks are sitting around getting fat and watching other people have adventures on TV.  Having adventures is so much more fun.  A personal sense of accomplishment that 95 percent of your friends will never understand.  Be proud of every single day that you go out there when it would have been easier to not.  However, when sick or injured or dog tired, know when to pull back, because you can regain where you were and continue on.  Oh well, bed for me, long walk/run tomorrow. 
2011-05-22 4:10 AM
in reply to: #3511764

User image

Extreme Veteran
Memphis

t-royboy - 2011-05-21 8:23 PM I hate loosing to the ladies, but today at a 5K, some girl at, like, 2.5 mile mark decided to "go 4 it" and blew me outta the water.  I couldn't keep up with her.  I finished at 21:44.  5th overall, but I should have pushed a bit more to be in front of the girl.  Oh well,,,,

Disclaimer: The following reply is not necessarily PC

My friend, I think the non-pc but guy-speak way of saying that is, "You got chicked at a 5k".  Happens to me everyday.  All I can say is enjoy the view.

2011-05-22 4:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Memphis

My previous post reminded me of something I saw yesterday.

About 5 miles into the bike ride, I come upon this girl that is a little larger than some of the other competitors.  I then realize something odd about her.  She's wearing a thong under her compression shorts.  How could I tell she had a thong underneath.  Because her compression shorts and top were practically see-through.  A woman had passed her before me and as I approached the woman I asked her, "Did you just see that."  She just replied with, "Oh My God!  What was she thinking?".

2011-05-22 10:58 AM

User image

Wow, this thread had been busy. I'm pretty sure I'm one of those lost sheep that Steve mentioned a while ago.. However, I finally graduated college this Friday, so time is finally freeing up. I did try to start bumping up my training, but finals week kinda made sure that it wasn't gonna be easy. I did manage to get about 3500 yards of swimming, 75 miles of biking, and about 2 hours of running in, but i should be able to actually get my volumes up now. And graduation led to some much requested gifts, so now I'm finally moving to clipless pedals having gotten shoes and pedals, as well as a heartrate and gps watch. Hopefully I'll manage to stay a little more involved on this thread now.

Steve

2011-05-22 3:25 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Hrm... had worked up to a jog walk for today... somehow the bottom of my right shoe laces had gotten a touch tight despite the top being loose.. thus reagrivating the right top of the foot thing.  So Ice it is.  Not sure if I will be able to get in my bike this afternoon 8(.  At least next week is a recovery week.  Would really like to have my body hold together so I can up my training for a final IM build.  Oh well, this too shall pass.  Ice, more walk less jog, fewer miles in a recovery week skip a shorter run or two and see how it feels next week. 

Grats on graduation.  I have a daughter in college who has decided to change her major from 1) stable manager (yes going to college to get horseback riding lessons and no I never did buy her that pony for her 12th birthday) to 2) art.  I'm all art... what on earth are you going to do with an AA degree in art?  I guess she can major in whatever she wants if she does not want financial support from home. 

Alright rant off, who had 1) dry weather, 2) a race or 3) went farther or faster than last week at anything?

2011-05-22 3:25 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Oh footlocker (online) has Asic GT 2150 running shoes (one of the most popular shoe styles for stability) on sale for like $47.  This is last years model, but this is half price.  So if anyone is in the market, I picked up 2 pair.  Also the Michelin Race Pro 3's are on sale at close to half price at several stores. 

Typically I try to buy stuff around newyears, buying last years models at close to half off.  This year I only bought 2 pair when I should have bought 4 pair... oh well got lucky mid year. 

Edited by Baowolf 2011-05-22 3:30 PM
2011-05-22 4:20 PM
in reply to: #3511946

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Baowolf - 2011-05-22 12:36 AM  Having adventures is so much more fun.  A personal sense of accomplishment that 95 percent of your friends will never understand.  Be proud of every single day that you go out there when it would have been easier to not.   

LIKE ^^^!!!

Hmmmm....I think we are missing a couple of check-ins from our weekend racers.  Soooo....how did it go?

Samantha, congrats on a great workout!  Are you feeling more balanced in the water?  Have the TI videos helped?  Nice run too

Lisa, hope you feel better soon!  I don't envy you parents of young kiddos in terms of the germs factor...it's just bound to happen.  Hopefully you will recover as quickly as your hubby.

T-roy and Dennis, you guys are making me want to run faster (evil grin!).  My supersecret goal at an upcoming 10K in June is to beat the guys from my church who talked me into running it. 

Steve aka Jacedude, good to see you.  Nice score on the graduation gifts!

Steve, I acutally think it's nice that your daughter is pursuing her dreams. Of course, I'm not the one paying for it!

Last week was my biggest volume week ever, yay!!!  Hoping to continue to push this week until I head out on vacation, and then will be a cutback week of swimming and running at the beach .  It's been mostly dry here....if you call 90%+ humidity dry.  Oh, and I had a triathlete realization moment yesterday.  As I was putting on pantyhose I thought "gee....these sure are easier to get on than a wetsuit".

2011-05-22 4:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Memphis

Did a 1.5k swim, 40k bike and 10k run brick this morning.  This wasn't my planned training plan, it was the result of me getting crazy yesterday and singing up for today's Olympic distance tri.  The swim was the only thing that I was worried about.  I just relaxed and took it easy for it and it was over before it started.

Since I signed up at the last minute, I had to start at the very end.  1075 out of around 1088.  It took over an hour to get to my number since it was a time trial start.  The weather was thunder storms and there's nothing like seeing lightning the entire time you're in the water.

The bike was most excellent.  I had an avg of over 17mph, I have never even trained at over 15.9 avg.  It rained the entire time also but no lightning.  Flat would be the perfect description for the course which was mostly the same as yesterdays, just longer.

My run/walk(4:00/1:00) strategy worked well for the first 5 miles of the run.  I didn't adhere to the intervals exactly based on location of aid stations, but I just made sure I walked often like I do on my training long runs.  The last 1.3 miles I just ran.  I knew I had enough energy in the tank to get me to the finish line, but not much extra.

I did the math yesterday and knew I would probably finish around 3:45-4:00.  I knew 3:30 was possible if everything went right.  After I finished and checked the results, I was amazed to have finished in 3:11:22.  Not an impressive speed for most, I was 47 out of 52 for my AG, but considering the limited training I have under my belt, I'm happy.

This was the confidence booster I need for my HIM in 4 months.  If 2 months of training can get me this far, 4 more ought to make the HIM doable.  I am also happy to report no pain from the race.  A little bit of soreness in my right hip this afternoon that I've experienced before, but that's it.  I have a vacation planned for next week so I will probably not get much training in, but rest and recovery is training also.  Right?

I did one thing that was sad today.  I was coming up to the last corner before the end of the bike.  Being wet and was riding upright for control.  I notice the photographer aiming at me in the distance.  I yell, "Hold on", drop down in aeros and smile.  All 10 bystanders laughed and shoted, "Looking fast" as I went by.

Anyway, here is a link to my race report. Where is everybody else's race reports?  I don't think I was the only one racing this weekend.

Oh and Steve, thanks for all the tips regarding nutrition.  Since I'm not experienced with gels I avoided them.  I did try 2 new things today (yes I know better), Gatorade G1 and energy beans.  I drank the G1 before the race, drank a Gatorade on the bike, and at2 a couple of 100 cal packs of the beans during the run.  I also consumed quite a bit of Gatorade from the aid stations on the run.  I planned this last night.  Not much of a nutrition plan, but better than winging it.

Edited by dhwebb 2011-05-22 4:44 PM
2011-05-22 5:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC

Dennis, I really can't wait until I can swim like that.  I am anxious to get there.  I am training hard and reading and listening to coaching to get there. My desire is to be there soon. 

Edited by kmatt318 2011-05-22 5:54 PM
2011-05-22 7:05 PM
in reply to: #3512608

User image

Extreme Veteran
Memphis

We discussed the 10 most violated USAT rules but I don't think we ever posted them. 

2011-05-22 8:24 PM
in reply to: #3511934

User image

Sacramento, CA

Hi...

Hope you all had good races.  I have enjoyed the discussions about gear, technique and improvements.  Yeah for everyone!

I have been super busy with end of Semester...still have about 300 final papers to grade...Ughhh.  Training going well.  21 days until my OLY... I am nervous.  I know I can do all the distances individually but I am worried about putting the distance  together.  Also, still trying to figure out hydration and nutrition.  Goals - Have fun, Finish under 3:50, Have a better swim than last go around!

Today...ran 6.2  (my long, easy run for the week) but I was sooooo slow.  Over 13 minute/mile...I was running the whole time just so slow....disappointed with myself.  My effort was noble but man, my heart rate kept creeping up to high 150's and then I knew I had to slow down or I wouldn't make it.  Also, I noticed as I get more tired (later in my longer workouts), my heart rate increases but I am not feeling as though I am actually working that much harder.  I wonder why that is? 

Happy Sunday night to you all! Laughing

2011-05-22 9:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC
Finally found the results of my race yesterday.  Wasn't as fun as I thought it would be.  Finished first in my age group which is the only bright spot of the race. 
2011-05-22 9:51 PM

User image

Colorado

Ken--first in your age group is pretty awesome, really!

No forward motion to report.  I woke up feeling like death with my throat hurting more than ever and my ears not exactly hurting but not exactly not.  So I skipped church in favor of going to the urgent care, where it was confirmed that I had an ear infection and strep throat.  Frown  I started abx today and expect to be feeling much better tomorrow.  For obvious reasons, I decided to skip the 12-mile run in favor of a 2-1/2 hour nap.  I'm not thrilled to have scrapped my last long run before the Bolder Boulder, but OTOH, I've generally had great luck at races where I've had a good amount of time to rest.  If I'm feeling great I might attempt to run 6 or 7 tomorrow.  Otherwise I'll either rest or attempt an easy bike ride.

Off-topic, but did I mention that we got a bike rack for the car yesterday?  We went down to the REI sale at their flagship store in Denver (it's a super-cool store) and came home with hiking shoes for my oldest, socks for my husband, goggles for me, and a Thule Helium rack.  Woot!  (Though I think it was the REI trip that did me in!  LOL)

2011-05-22 11:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Jacedude- big congrats to you for graduating. No small accomplishment and I know how you feel. Welcome back to training and chatting with us! Steve- the weather was more dry than not with nice temps for getting out even in the middle of the day. This week I upped my run mileage by one with only two minutes added to overall time and this was my first week adding in swimming. It was great. I think it is great that your daughter is supported by you in what she chooses. That is so important to a girl from her daddy! Carol- I got a good laugh reading about pantyhose and wetsuits ( that would be a great book title). Way to go on your high volume week. What a sweet feeling, and next week you can keep kicking it then have a sweet vacation. Though I really don't know how you handle training in humidity. You get five stars for that. I am sure I would die. Dennis- who are you? Signing up last minute for an oly, trying new things on race day and having a rewarding race experience!?! Dude that is awesome. Excellent job! I am glad it built your confidence for the HIM. Cheri- I was thinkin bout you. Glad to hear you're doing well and training. I know what you mean about feeling slow. I feel the same way. But today I remembered what Steve said about building my base strong to avoid injury so I decided slow was worth it. But it stills feels . . . Well, slow! 21 days and you are gonna get it on. Have you done any bricks/trials of putting them together to help relieve some nervousness? Let me know hOw it goes. Lisa- so sorry you are super sick! Ear infection and strep, seriously who's brilliant idea was that. Ugh, I pray you do feel better by tomorrow. Glad you had a sweet long nap today though. Okay its official, I am super happy/jealous of your car rack. I look forward to the day I get one, but for now I celebrate with you what a difference thi gemlike that can make. My new love is my iPhone. It helps me keep up with y'all, track my training and many other things. I really like it. Ken- first inyour age group Is awesome. The other big news is I signed up for a 10k on June 4. I think it will be a good experience and I know I will be stronger and have more endurance by then I don't know what my goal will be. Probably to jus t finsih, but as it gets closer I will see. Any goal recommendations for my fitness level? This was a long post. Happy Monday everyone!
2011-05-23 11:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Hillsborough, NJ
Dennis - Wow!

Ken - so you survived the mud and stuff? Hope it was a fun time!

Sorry if I'm forgetting another racer from this weekend.

Looks like rain on the forecast all week again here. Behind on my walk/run schedule - gotta find some motivation! Swim class tonight.

Scheduled to camp this weekend at a state park that has their tri next weekend. Hoping to get some lake swim time in and download the bike and run courses to give them a run through.

I'm really curious how cold the lake will be - is there a big temp diff from the shore to the middle of the lake? I don't have a wetsuit and have been really tempted by the xterra sale. Been swimming in a 82 degree lap pool - so this should be fun. I'm hoping it'll at least be 60 - but it's supposed to be a cooler week with lots of rain....wondering if I'l be allowed in swim area in the rain...

2011-05-23 11:38 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Cheri - good going on your training!  Wow, you OLY is coming right up .  On your higher HR, was it possibly warmer outside?  That tends to shoot mine up even more than normal.

Ken - wow, 1st in AG, what exactly is not to like about that???

Lisa - SCORE on the bike rack!  Might as well get some shopping in since the crud has descended on you.  Hope the antibiotics kick the strip/ear infection to the curb soon!

Dennis - holy moly!  Back to back races AND your first OLY.  Great going, and now I see why you dediced to rest a few days prior.

Samantha - nice to hear that you are running better in addition to adding the swimming.  I think incremental improvement is what it's about for all of us.  One thing at a time, or is it three?  Great that you're doing a 10K on 6/4, that should be fun!

CK - yay, more glamping!  So is this park the same place where YOUR race will be?  60 degrees....brrrrrr!  Those Xterra wetsuits are good deals (evil grin).

Yes, we need to hear about Kenzie's race!  Sooooo.....how did it go?

2011-05-23 12:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC
Thanks everyone.  This was supposed to be just a fun run.  The "mud pit" never materialized.  It was seriously a case of over marketing and under delivering. 
2011-05-24 7:59 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Well, if you want a mud pit....I ran through one in my nice white shoes yesterday .

OK, can I get some advice??  Next race is a 10K mid June, then I'm planning to do a sprint on July 17th (500 OWS/17.6/3.1).  Same venue as last time, shorter swim (no wetsuit), longer bike, so probably a good next step.  Have to admit that Dennis had me thinking briefly about doing the OLY that day instead, but thinking I should stick with the original plan to do the sprint.  However, I am signed up for an OLY on 10/2, the name of which makes me nervous (US Open).  I know...what in the world was I thinking????!!!!  I've been assured by a couple of folks that my kind is welcome.  So my question is....should I try to find an OLY in Aug or Sep as a test run of sorts, or continue to build confidence w/ another sprint or two as I build volume over the summer?  

Kinda quiet in here....how's training going for everyone this week?  Steve, how is your foot?

2011-05-24 8:29 AM
in reply to: #3515440

User image

Extreme Veteran
Memphis

I'm no expert and probably don't follow a sane program here, but looking at your logs, I'd say go for an Oly before your October one.  That's 4 months away.  You have the training to back it up already looking at your logs.  Here's how I see it.  You know you can complete an Oly.  By getting one out of the way now, it not only builds confidence, it will also give you a real life goal number to beat.  Wouldn't it be great that for your Oly in October you could walk away saying i 3 months I improved my time by 10 minutes.

Don't take my word for it though.  I'm just out here winging it trying not to injure myself. 

As far as this week's training.  Being a long weekend I'm not going to be doing a lot of training.  I am packing my running shoes and hope to get a couple of 5-6 milers in.  Maybe an OWS in the ocean (parallel and close to the shore).  No biking.  Next week starting Monday morning it's back on for 16 weeks of HIM training.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Beginner Banquet -Sorry all tables are full no room.. Rss Feed  

of 61