Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 123

2023-04-08 3:27 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by drfoodlove

1500yd swim this morning followed by a scheduled 2:15 ride with intervals…scheduled, not completed. I made it to 1:18, including the 10x1’@Z5, but the Z2 interval near the end just did me in. I couldn’t hit Z2. I gave it 23’, but then decided it was better to bag it and take the extra rest I clearly need.

Feeling a bit run down in general—several nights of poor sleep. Also noticed some swollen lymph nodes in my next this morning, so maybe I’m fighting something.

Good call on not pushing it if you’re feeling run down, hope the extra rest will help

2023-04-08 3:31 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Good hockey game today, which we won 3-2. My friend loved it too! Wore my chest strap to get a more accurate reading and it was not as high as last time with just the watch sensor but still a decent workout.

Max 131, average 81
Calories 411

Edited by Rollergirl 2023-04-10 10:19 AM

Attachments
----------------
F02496AE-1CA4-49C6-9ED5-09A0D783CBF8.jpeg (178KB - 9 downloads)
2023-04-09 1:01 AM
in reply to: #5284973

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
90’ Z2 run this morning, followed by an Aussie Rules football game (watching, not playing). I don’t get into as much as Nat does her hockey. Current HR 65.
2023-04-09 12:36 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

90’ Z2 run this morning, followed by an Aussie Rules football game (watching, not playing). I don’t get into as much as Nat does her hockey. Current HR 65.

I don’t thik my HR is high when I watch a game on TV..
there is one way to find out, semi final 6 is on TV tomorrow…

2023-04-10 12:57 AM
in reply to: #5284978

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Nice, easy 1750yd swim today for my “rest” day. Welcome to the new week—let’s get out there and collectively crush it!
2023-04-10 7:34 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Happy Monday! And Happy (belated) Easter to those who celebrate it. And Passover! So many things all at once

I was at my parents' for the weekend. Planned on getting a swim in Friday morning, but woke up to a cat in distress outside, just meowing over and over again. Tried to feed him. Thought it was a her and maybe she was in heat. Had to chase another kitty away at one point. Someone eventually came to get him and was going to take him to our local shelter later to see if he had a chip or anything, but then one of my neighbors responded to my fb post that it was his, so he made it home safe!

All that is to say, I did not make it to swimming that morning. Headed to my parents, then got a run in on Saturday, a little less than 4 miles. I wanted to keep going but was feeling exhausted (and hungry...I went a little later and did not eat before). Walked a bit as well over the weekend.

Got another run in this morning, 4.5 miles, including some "strides." I made it a hill workout as well, doing my strides up a big hill near my house. Followed it up with a 20 minute yoga session. Feeling good, though definitely tired. My partner can't play at vball tonight so I think I'm going to skip and trying to go swim instead.

2023-04-10 7:35 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Oh, and we lost our 7th person for this race at Seneca, NY I have in 2 weeks...anyone want to join? Gretchen, you'll fly in from Egypt, right?!
2023-04-10 8:13 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Wow...I drive for two days and look at all of the activity around here!

@Gretchen:  I've swam through those kinds of outdoor conditions when our pool was a hybrid indoor/outdoor thing.  Once you've swam in pelting rain at 45 degrees with 30 mph winds, you can do anything in the pool.  Nice job getting the round number.  Blech on the Gu (and Gu in general); I've always stayed away from anything but watered-down Gatorade but then again my longest training session (and race) have been in the 3 hour range.

@Nathalie:  glad your hockey team is still giving it a go...that's awesome and I'm jealous as my Flyers are horrible and aren't sniffing the playoffs; great job on your long run and your test; that 3k time gives you a 36 VDOT almost exactly (that's assuming the whole 3K was all-out and not just the 12 minute test part)

@Jenn:  sorry about your buddy...ugh I remember being a mess when I had to place my beagle for adoption as my then-future and now wife is really allergic to animals, and that was with her going to a great family (the dog, not my wife ); nice work as always getting it done around your bats**T crazy travel work schedule

@Nicole:  your multisport athlete life continues...though I wonder when we would incorporate axe-throwing into the tri race; I mean, they carry rifles in biathlon so I guess anything is possible

@Andrew:  great month!  Hopefully work will calm down in a bit for you...I also got assigned to two new projects and I'm not sure how intense they're going to be but I usually stick my nose everywhere so I'd imagine I'll be busy; thanks for asking about the back, more on that below

Well we're back from Florida and dealt with crappy Easter traffic on Friday (much better on the second leg Saturday morning); it was 93 degrees when we entered South Carolina and by the time we left SC it was in the 40s and really windy.  What a shock!  I got in some decent training down there but my plan has totally gone off the rails..  Back is still a mess so making an appointment with a spine guy; I usually can resolve the flare-ups within a week or so but this has been going on for five weeks now.  My Oly race is definitely in jeopardy in June unless I walk the 10k which I'm not ruling out (I can walk a 13:30 mile).  I could always aquabike it.  My daughter is doing the race with me so I was hoping to finish around the same time but not with me walking the whole time. 

I'm adjusting my plan accordingly to really focus on swimming and biking so I don't go insane.  About to head out for a long walk to enjoy the nice weather here - we seem to have brought it up with us. 

Hope everyone had a great Easter/Passover or just a nice weekend if you don't celebrate (or if yours is next weekend).  Onward!

2023-04-10 11:14 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

; that 3k time gives you a 36 VDOT almost exactly (that's assuming the whole 3K was all-out and not just the 12 minute test part)

Yes it was the whole 3k
Is that good?
2023-04-10 1:04 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Rollergirl
; that 3k time gives you a 36 VDOT almost exactly (that's assuming the whole 3K was all-out and not just the 12 minute test part)
Yes it was the whole 3k Is that good?

Well in the Daniels charts it's pretty low, but remember that book is written about and for elite runners so I wouldn't worry about that.  For a woman in her 50s I'd say that's pretty damn good.  Here's the chart...it estimates your race results for all distances (and makes the assumption you've properly trained for the race):

Edited by jmhpsu93 2023-04-10 1:04 PM
2023-04-10 1:53 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

, Kronobergs lan
So according to this I should run a half marathon in 2h01…. Ummm, sounds awfully fast. Although the 5k and 10k times on the chart do reflect my normal time on these distances, 21.1k is a lot longer to run at that speed.
Answer in 3 weeks..

2023-04-10 2:58 PM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Rollergirl So according to this I should run a half marathon in 2h01…. Ummm, sounds awfully fast. Although the 5k and 10k times on the chart do reflect my normal time on these distances, 21.1k is a lot longer to run at that speed. Answer in 3 weeks..

Yeah my half marathon times were higher than my VDOT suggested...it's probably because it takes a LOT of training mileage to extend that VDOT performance past maybe a 10K, and we aren't running 40 miles a week for 3-4 months in our training. 

2023-04-10 6:14 PM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Originally posted by bulfrog

Nice Month's ladies.

It's a bit late but for March I managed,
Swim, x2, 500m, 27min
Bike, x12, 271km, 10hr 22min
Run, x13, 86.3km , 11hr 42min (yes, I am slow)

Total of 22 1/2 hours for the month. The year's only 3 months old, but that's the biggest so far.

Do you go to a public pool to swim 250 metres/15 minutes? Or do you have your own pool?

That was a typo. 2x500m swims. But yes, my local pool is quite close to the office. So I will stop off for a quick dip if I get a convenient opportunity. Unfortunately with swimming by the time you park, get changed get a lane etc and reverse the 15 min in the pool has taken half an hour
2023-04-10 6:48 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
What a busy weekend on here. Lots to catch up on.

@Gretchen, I wonder if you age gu long enough it'll start fermenting and become boozy? Haha. I'll assume they're not available in Europe but I quite like the Gu 'shot bloks' each pack has 6 little lolly type things, 3 of which equals a normal gu. I quite like them but we're all different. Good call on bailing on the workout. When your as data driven as us that can be a hard thing to do. Even when it's the obvious call.

@Nathalie, Great job on the fitness test, 'excellent' is a nice result to have Regarding nutrition/gu's how long are you taking to run your 17k training runs? I find anything more than about 90 minutes I really benefit from taking in some calories mid run/ride. Less than that, just water. For your half marathon, I'd definitely be looking to have 1 or 2 gels. Your energy in the final 5-10km will thank you.

@Nicole, Sorry you lost your 7th person. Does this mean you'll have to run a little extra, or do you definitely need a replacement?

@Mike. Sorry that the back is not behaving. We all thought that was behind you. Aquathon is an option if its available at your race, but if it's not damaging yourself more I'd be keen to walk the run and still do a tri. I bet with your strong bike you'll still be beating plenty.

We had a busy easter weekend. Friday and Saturday nights down at the beach, Sunday to Mrs Bullfrogs best friends place to meet her new baby and Monday to the inlaws to see some extended family who are visiting from South Africa. I need to go back to work for a rest after 4 days like that.

Training wise the start of the week was perfect, 4 days of 60 minute workouts. Then end was ok, had an unscheduled day off on Friday ran at the beach Saturday morning (easy run, but the roads out there make any run a semi hill workout) and ran 3x5' Cruise intervals on the treadmill Sunday evening.

Swim: 0
Bike, x3, 3 hours
Run x3, 2 hours 20 minutes
2023-04-11 1:22 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Nice Month's ladies.

It's a bit late but for March I managed,
Swim, x2, 500m, 27min
Bike, x12, 271km, 10hr 22min
Run, x13, 86.3km , 11hr 42min (yes, I am slow)

Total of 22 1/2 hours for the month. The year's only 3 months old, but that's the biggest so far.

Do you go to a public pool to swim 250 metres/15 minutes? Or do you have your own pool?

That was a typo. 2x500m swims. But yes, my local pool is quite close to the office. So I will stop off for a quick dip if I get a convenient opportunity. Unfortunately with swimming by the time you park, get changed get a lane etc and reverse the 15 min in the pool has taken half an hour

Yes, that’s why I find it hard to get to the pool, takes so much time (and I also have a bit to drive). When I do, I stay there at least one hour to make it worth it.
It’s soon OWS season though, so I’ll be able to pop down to the lake for those shorts sessions, yeah!
2023-04-11 1:43 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by nicole14e

Oh, and we lost our 7th person for this race at Seneca, NY I have in 2 weeks...anyone want to join? Gretchen, you'll fly in from Egypt, right?!

Ha! Sounds just about crazy enough for me to give it a shot! You do not want me on your team though...SLOW....

Plus, my sister might actually murder me, as she has been trying to get me to do this race for years.

2023-04-11 1:44 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Yes it was the whole 3k Is that good?

Well in the Daniels charts it's pretty low, but remember that book is written about and for elite runners so I wouldn't worry about that.  For a woman in her 50s I'd say that's pretty damn good.  Here's the chart...it estimates your race results for all distances (and makes the assumption you've properly trained for the race):

Does the metric go into the negatives? Cause based on this table, that's where I reside!
2023-04-11 1:46 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

@Gretchen, I wonder if you age gu long enough it'll start fermenting and become boozy? Haha. I'll assume they're not available in Europe but I quite like the Gu 'shot bloks' each pack has 6 little lolly type things, 3 of which equals a normal gu. I quite like them but we're all different. Good call on bailing on the workout. When your as data driven as us that can be a hard thing to do. Even when it's the obvious call.

I imagine it would, if you let yeast in somehow. Barf.

I've tried shot blocks before, but I think gatorade brand. I can't seem to chew and keep myself moving forward at the same time. Plus...if I have to eat one of those little chews every 10', I lose my mind! I can't think about eating that much.
2023-04-11 1:48 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Big morning for me. 50' Z2 ride, followed immediately by a 45' interval brick run and then finished off with my strength training. I was feeling solid this morning, so I just went for it. All of them went really well. Now I'm focusing on stretching and making sure to hydrate throughout this day. The days are getting warmer here in Cairo, so I'm really having to focus on hydration more.
2023-04-11 2:18 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

@Nathalie, Great job on the fitness test, 'excellent' is a nice result to have Regarding nutrition/gu's how long are you taking to run your 17k training runs? I find anything more than about 90 minutes I really benefit from taking in some calories mid run/ride. Less than that, just water. For your half marathon, I'd definitely be looking to have 1 or 2 gels. Your energy in the final 5-10km will thank you.

17k takes about 1h45. Normally I take nutrition for anything over 1h30 but I haven't been taking any on these training runs. Maybe I should practice that too....

Edited by Rollergirl 2023-04-11 2:18 AM
2023-04-11 2:22 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by nicole14e

Happy Monday! And Happy (belated) Easter to those who celebrate it. And Passover! So many things all at once

I was at my parents' for the weekend. Planned on getting a swim in Friday morning, but woke up to a cat in distress outside, just meowing over and over again. Tried to feed him. Thought it was a her and maybe she was in heat. Had to chase another kitty away at one point. Someone eventually came to get him and was going to take him to our local shelter later to see if he had a chip or anything, but then one of my neighbors responded to my fb post that it was his, so he made it home safe!

All that is to say, I did not make it to swimming that morning. Headed to my parents, then got a run in on Saturday, a little less than 4 miles. I wanted to keep going but was feeling exhausted (and hungry...I went a little later and did not eat before). Walked a bit as well over the weekend.

Got another run in this morning, 4.5 miles, including some "strides." I made it a hill workout as well, doing my strides up a big hill near my house. Followed it up with a 20 minute yoga session. Feeling good, though definitely tired. My partner can't play at vball tonight so I think I'm going to skip and trying to go swim instead.

We get this at our house every day, meowing cats... Is that why I don't go swimming? Mind you, they are our own cats and they are not in distress, just want breakfast.

Nice work on the hill workout! That's on the menu for me tomorrow with my group.

2023-04-11 2:22 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Big morning for me. 50' Z2 ride, followed immediately by a 45' interval brick run and then finished off with my strength training. I was feeling solid this morning, so I just went for it. All of them went really well. Now I'm focusing on stretching and making sure to hydrate throughout this day. The days are getting warmer here in Cairo, so I'm really having to focus on hydration more.

good thinking! Hydration is important as temperatures rise

Edited by Rollergirl 2023-04-11 2:46 AM
2023-04-11 2:23 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Wow...I drive for two days and look at all of the activity around here!

@Gretchen:  I've swam through those kinds of outdoor conditions when our pool was a hybrid indoor/outdoor thing.  Once you've swam in pelting rain at 45 degrees with 30 mph winds, you can do anything in the pool.  Nice job getting the round number.  Blech on the Gu (and Gu in general); I've always stayed away from anything but watered-down Gatorade but then again my longest training session (and race) have been in the 3 hour range.

@Nathalie:  glad your hockey team is still giving it a go...that's awesome and I'm jealous as my Flyers are horrible and aren't sniffing the playoffs; great job on your long run and your test; that 3k time gives you a 36 VDOT almost exactly (that's assuming the whole 3K was all-out and not just the 12 minute test part)

@Jenn:  sorry about your buddy...ugh I remember being a mess when I had to place my beagle for adoption as my then-future and now wife is really allergic to animals, and that was with her going to a great family (the dog, not my wife ); nice work as always getting it done around your bats**T crazy travel work schedule

@Nicole:  your multisport athlete life continues...though I wonder when we would incorporate axe-throwing into the tri race; I mean, they carry rifles in biathlon so I guess anything is possible

@Andrew:  great month!  Hopefully work will calm down in a bit for you...I also got assigned to two new projects and I'm not sure how intense they're going to be but I usually stick my nose everywhere so I'd imagine I'll be busy; thanks for asking about the back, more on that below

Well we're back from Florida and dealt with crappy Easter traffic on Friday (much better on the second leg Saturday morning); it was 93 degrees when we entered South Carolina and by the time we left SC it was in the 40s and really windy.  What a shock!  I got in some decent training down there but my plan has totally gone off the rails..  Back is still a mess so making an appointment with a spine guy; I usually can resolve the flare-ups within a week or so but this has been going on for five weeks now.  My Oly race is definitely in jeopardy in June unless I walk the 10k which I'm not ruling out (I can walk a 13:30 mile).  I could always aquabike it.  My daughter is doing the race with me so I was hoping to finish around the same time but not with me walking the whole time. 

I'm adjusting my plan accordingly to really focus on swimming and biking so I don't go insane.  About to head out for a long walk to enjoy the nice weather here - we seem to have brought it up with us. 

Hope everyone had a great Easter/Passover or just a nice weekend if you don't celebrate (or if yours is next weekend).  Onward!

hope your back gets sorted and you can do your oly
2023-04-11 2:24 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Training wise the start of the week was perfect, 4 days of 60 minute workouts. Then end was ok, had an unscheduled day off on Friday ran at the beach Saturday morning (easy run, but the roads out there make any run a semi hill workout) and ran 3x5' Cruise intervals on the treadmill Sunday evening.

Swim: 0
Bike, x3, 3 hours
Run x3, 2 hours 20 minutes

nice work!
2023-04-11 2:28 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
We had a 4 days weekend over here so a little more training than usual:

2 runs (17+12 k)
2 rides (mtb- 18+28k)
3 hockey games (2 on the couch, one in the arena), 3 wins. We are now in the SHL Final! yeah!!!

Edited by Rollergirl 2023-04-11 3:41 AM
New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 123

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 989 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland