Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 100

2023-04-05 5:50 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by drfoodlove

, so it isn't that I blacked out and then came to just before my timer dinged or anything.

naahhh, you would have woken up when you fell off the bike

doing a Cooper test tonight with my running group. Will be interesting to see what result I get...

• ...if I can be arsed to do it properly that is... Lazy Nat tends to do things like that sometimes.

• weather forecast for tonight is snow, so ideal conditions.....

Edited by Rollergirl 2023-04-05 8:52 AM

2023-04-05 1:57 PM
    in reply to: #5283710

User image

, Vermont
    Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
    Hi all!
    Name: Jenn

Story: Played sports when I was younger - soccer, basketball, softball, golf, swam a couple of years, played softball in college. I’ve always enjoyed hiking, camping, fly fishing and generally being outside. Did a bunch of half marathons over the years and a few 5ks. I got into triathlon back in .. 2012 I think; started with an Oly as my first sprint was cancelled. Followed with half irons and more Oly’s and sprints. Trained for IM Mont Tremblant in 2016, trained on course a couple of times, super prepared and pulled at mile 60 on the bike with hypothermia - weather was horrifying. Two weeks later i used my anger to get second in my age group in a half iron and destroyed my left piriformis in the process. Took a year off to heal, signed up for IM Lake Placid but due to a death in the family deferred to the following year (2019) but started a new job and couldn’t train/compete that year, Signed up for IM Mont Tremblant again in 2020 and we all know what happened that year so it was deferred to 2021. Canada kept the border closed in 2021 but IM let us swap to a different venue and the closest option for me was IM Maryland. Finished with not the best training (work schedule difficulties) in under 15 hours and throwing up on the run twice (they ran out of water on the bike course at mile 82 station) so power walked the last, almost 10 miles. Blah. My legs were ready to go but my guts weren’t. On the bright side, i wasn’t sore and not really overly fatigued, just nauseous. No, I still haven’t done a race report. Hubby made me take last summer off and I’m going insane so I need goals and training.

Family status: married for 20 years and 2 boys - one off to college in the fall (U of Delaware maybe?). My dog of over 16 years passed a few weeks ago and I’m still a mess about it. She was the very best friend and my shadow and furry soulmate. Heartbroken is an understatement.

Current training: very inconsistent and haven’t been swimming since IM MD a year and a half ago. I travel basically every other week or so and rely on hotel gyms and decent weather when I can get it.

Upcoming year’s races: I’m signing up for a half iron, damnit. Hahaha. It’s one I’ve done twice before (got second that time I destroyed my piriformis) on Labor Day weekend in Lake George, NY. If my schedule works I’ll do a local Oly or two over the summer to get the feel for the race again.

Weight loss: just looking to maintain and get back in shape. I did Whole 30 in January (lost 5 pounds but that wasn’t a goal, just a by-product). Going sugarless was eye opening.

What will make me a good mentee: I’ve been with this group off and on since 2012, used to be super active in the early days but with schedule changes I just don’t post as much as i used to. I’ve done a lot of the distances and love to research gear (so fun.). I like to be a cheerleader for people and just encourage anyone to go do something scary… growth is cool.

Favorite beer: my go-to is Switchback Ale for an easy drinking local brew. I like most beer but shy from IPA’s and anything super hoppy. Since Whole 30 and with my brother being celiac, I’m exploring more gluten free options (I know, the horrors!). We have a lot of nice ciders up here to try and an entire local brewery dedicated to GF beer so options are opening up. Haha

Cheers! I’m working through all the posts slowly! Nice to see everyone!!
    ~Jenn
    2023-04-05 3:13 PM
    in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Expert
    Middle River, Maryland
    Silver member

Welcome back, Jenn!!!

2023-04-05 3:17 PM
    in reply to: #5284942

User image

, Vermont
    Hey thanks!

Just did an easy walk+run for a couple of miles and upper body weights. Heading out to grab a bite then I think I’ll go back down to the treadmill and watch Netflix while walking. Haha out in Minneapolis right now - time to walk the Mall of America
    2023-04-05 3:27 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
    Hi Jenn! Great to see you!

Sorry to hear about your dog
    2023-04-05 7:25 PM
    in reply to: #5284944

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
    Jenn!!! Welcome back! So sorry to hear about your dog ?? I totally get it. I cry at just the thought of losing my kitty.
    Cool your son might be going to UDel! My brother and sister in law went there. It's not too far so if you ever go there then meander down to Baltimore, let Mike and I know!

2023-04-05 7:27 PM
    in reply to: #5284947

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
    Mike always coming through to save the day!!
    2023-04-05 7:35 PM
    in reply to: #5284948

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
    Did a bike boot camp yesterday bc I needed to start doing some strength. Got a ~3.5 mile run in this morning. Also went to my chiropractor. Had him work on my knee a bit bc I've been having a little bit of pain inside my kneecap when I start running. He gave me a strength exercise to do, so hopefully that helps.
    2023-04-05 9:13 PM
    in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Regular
    Auckland, North Island
    Hi Guys,

I'm still here, we have just got super busy at work and I've been swamped trying to get drawings complete. I went from no major projects on the go to 3 in the space of 1 morning. Getting on top of things now though.

@Gretchen. Nice work with the stroke counting and google maps measuring. It sounds like its 25m, I agree no way you've got that slow so fast. Otherwise, keep up the machine like consistency.

@Nathalie. Excuse my ignorance, but what is a cooper test? Hope it goes well, any fitness test is hard work. How are the semi finals going for your cheering/training? My warriors had a great win last weekend, came back from 20-0 down to win 32-30. 2nd on the table after 5 weeks, maybe it is our year?

@Mike. How's the back recovery going?

My rest week was a bit more 'restful' than planned. Life, especially work got very much in the way. 2 bikes, 2 runs. 2hr 15 total. It took till Sunday for mr Garmin to decide I was 'Recovering' so that means the cutback was well managed? Back to normal this week. Monday 60 minutes Z2 ride on zwift. Tuesday 60 min on zwift, Z2 then building up to FTP over the last 15 minutes. Wednesday, 60 min treadmill run. Easy, but increasing pace every 10 minutes.

60 minutes on the bike tonight, then off to the beach for a quick Easter break, so will aim to run 2-3 more times.

Have a good long weekend guys.

2023-04-05 9:15 PM

User image

Regular
    Auckland, North Island
    Originally posted by aviatrix802

Hi all!
    Name: Jenn

• Cheers! I’m working through all the posts slowly! Nice to see everyone!!
    ~Jenn

Welcome back to the board Jenn.

Sorry to hear about your dog. They may be animals, but they are family members. Our fur baby has trained through 4 70.3,s and 2 Ironmans with me. She's starting to resist anything but easy pace now but I don't know how I would cope without my little running buddy.
    2023-04-05 9:19 PM
    in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Regular
    Auckland, North Island
    Originally posted by Rollergirl

March is in the books for me!

Not a bad month overall
    Swim: 13h 06m 38s - 31775 Yd Increase over Feb 8:45 (21k yds)
    Bike: 20h 21m 31s Increase over Feb 4:00
    Run: 11h 11m 17s - 49.94 Mi Increase over Feb 0:22 (2.5 miles)
    Strength: 4h 30m Decrease from Feb 1:20

Not bad at all!

here's my march numbers

swim = 0 but I did sit in the lake last week. Still too cold to swim
    bike =12h11 = zwift distance, I don't know- 2 hours less than last month
    run= 12h33 ; 103k-30 minutes less than last month but approx same distance-Am I getting faster?
    strength = about 4 hours I guess
    hockey games = 5 (as we've established that they do count as workouts)

game 5 starts in one hour. Semi-final one. Here we go!

Nice Month's ladies.

It's a bit late but for March I managed,
    Swim, x2, 500m, 27min
    Bike, x12, 271km, 10hr 22min
    Run, x13, 86.3km , 11hr 42min (yes, I am slow)

Total of 22 1/2 hours for the month. The year's only 3 months old, but that's the biggest so far.

2023-04-06 12:35 AM
    in reply to: bulfrog

User image

, Kronobergs lan
    Originally posted by bulfrog

@Nathalie. Excuse my ignorance, but what is a cooper test? Hope it goes well, any fitness test is hard work. How are the semi finals going for your cheering/training? My warriors had a great win last weekend, came back from 20-0 down to win 32-30. 2nd on the table after 5 weeks, maybe it is our year?

It’s a test where you run as fast as you can during 12 minutes or over a set distance. We ran 3k yesterday, in 15:21 min.

According to a chart found on wikipedia, after working out the distance achieved in 12 min at that pace, that puts me in the “excellent” category for normal people my age.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooper_test

3 semi final down, 4 (hopefully) to go. We’re trailing by one game to 2. We lost our home field advantage on Tuesday when the other team won 0-1, hoping to take it back tonight. I didn’t go to see the game then (Tuesdays are sacred, we’re practicing with the band) but I’ll be there on Saturday. (Will wear my chest band for accurate bpm for this group’s number addiction

Maybe it really IS your year? Things like this happen, look at Leicester city in the English premier league a few years back…

2023-04-06 2:34 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
    @Jenn--Welcome back!! We've missed you! Sorry to hear about the pup. We lost one of our dogs nearly 10 years ago and I still think about him every single day. He was my buddy and I miss him deeply.

@Andrew--nice solid week! Amazing how work can go from zero to full on in the blink of an eye.

@Nathalie--keeping fingers crossed for your team!! Can't wait to see what the HR data days for the next game!

Lots of activity on the board over the last day! Love it!!
    2023-04-06 2:40 AM
    in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
    90' interval ride this morning. It was tough...I didn't think I was going to make it through the last interval. 4x8' at Z4 with 3' RI. The last interval was very questionable and I was struggling. I made it through though, and the 21' Z2 part at the end felt like cake, although it did not breeze by. At about an hour in I started feeling shaky a little foggy, which seems like a bonk setting in, but it doesn't make any sense that I was bonking because I had a protein shake (and coffee...I don't learn lessons quickly) before the ride started. Anyway, I figured it couldn't hurt to take on a little sugar to see if that helped, so I consumed the last gu I have with me. My estimate is that it was at least five years old (that's when I switched to liquid nutrition). It has traveled in my bento across continents and sat there during many, many hot sunny days in transition and on long rides. It was chocolate, which I don't care for anyway (just the gu flavor, I like chocolate in general...probably a bit too much, to be honest). I wasn't aware that gu could crystalize and be more disguising than it normally is, but I am now! One should not have to chew gu...this morning, I chewed gu.

It helped though...so at least it was worth it.

Later this afternoon, strength training.
    2023-04-06 5:21 AM
    in reply to: nicole14e

User image

, Kronobergs lan
    Originally posted by nicole14e

Did a bike boot camp yesterday bc I needed to start doing some strength. Got a ~3.5 mile run in this morning. Also went to my chiropractor. Had him work on my knee a bit bc I've been having a little bit of pain inside my kneecap when I start running. He gave me a strength exercise to do, so hopefully that helps.

hopefully the knee is OK
    2023-04-06 5:24 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
    Originally posted by bulfrog

Nice Month's ladies.

It's a bit late but for March I managed,
    Swim, x2, 500m, 27min
    Bike, x12, 271km, 10hr 22min
    Run, x13, 86.3km , 11hr 42min (yes, I am slow)

Total of 22 1/2 hours for the month. The year's only 3 months old, but that's the biggest so far.

Do you go to a public pool to swim 250 metres/15 minutes? Or do you have your own pool?

Edited by Rollergirl 2023-04-06 6:58 AM

2023-04-06 5:27 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

One should not have to chew gu...this morning, I chewed gu.

you mispellt gum and yes, it's should be chewed, that's why they called it chewing gum. LOL

joking apart, what is gu? Google doesn't give any good answers.
    2023-04-06 7:19 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

you mispellt gum and yes, it's should be chewed, that's why they called it chewing gum. LOL

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! Gu is an energy gel that comes in little packets of 100 calories each, used for fueling longer distances. They are gross...they have the texture of snot (when fresh...both the gu and snot) and the flavors often have a very chemically taste. Some people love them though...not me.
    2023-04-06 7:29 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! Gu is an energy gel that comes in little packets of 100 calories each, used for fueling longer distances. They are gross...they have the texture of snot (when fresh...both the gu and snot) and the flavors often have a very chemically taste. Some people love them though...not me.

umm, sounds lovely, who doesn't like chemically tasting snot?

I am by no means a long distance athlete, so I don't usually need to fuel during exercice but if I do (during an Oly race or a longer bike ride, probably during my first half marathon (in 3 weeks!)), I consume chestnut puree which my mum sends me from France. It might not contain all the stuff you need but it tastes good (also really nice on pancakes) and is very natural.

https://www.amazon.com/Clement-Faugier-Creme-Marrons-Vanillee/dp/B07...

Edited by Rollergirl 2023-04-06 3:44 PM
    2023-04-06 2:14 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
    The gu/gum convo made me giggle. I tried eating gu once and vowed never again. Gretchen, what liquid nutrition do you use? I have tried Tailwind and really like it. It has a very light flavor and is pretty tasty. They also have caffeinated and non-caffeinated versions. I, like Nathalie, don't do distances long enough to need it mid-workout, but I will have it before an early morning workout in lieu of eating sometimes. I mostly just don't eat, but if I'm doing something longer I will use the tailwind before.

I am absolutely loving all this activity. It's inspiring!

Started my next Peloton PowerZone challenge this morning. I'm doing what they call the time crunch, which is mostly 30-45 minute rides (3 rides/week). I figure that plus swimming, plus running, plus yoga and strength should keep me pretty busy
    (plus volleyball, football and axe throwing...nevermind, I'm just crazy...)

2023-04-07 2:06 AM
    in reply to: #5283710

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
    I use Infinit—which has some stock formulae, but the great thing is you can customize it. You can control the flavor and it’s intensity, caffeine, protein, and how many calories are included in each scoop/bottle. I’m sure some other stuff too, but that’s what I can think of right now. A bit pricy, but if you consider one bottle can have up to 400cal, it works out to be cheaper than gels.

This morning was an hour Z1 run, which was fine, if boring, followed by 2500yds in the pool that was anything but boring. There is a 27mph (44kph) wind wind blowing out of the south today. One direction felt like floating downstream in a huge river. The other direction felt like swimming into a brick wall. There was a 7” difference between the two splits when swimming same effort. That’s almost 30”/100. It was ridiculous. I also got to dodge deck chairs and umbrellas blowing into the pool, so that was “fun”. I actually was super freaked out by the umbrella, which came within a few feet of me. I was glad I was done with my workout when that happened. It would have been anyway, as I’m not dedicated enough to any one workout to get skewered by an umbrella pole just to get in a few more laps.

2023-04-07 2:34 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

I also got to dodge deck chairs and umbrellas blowing into the pool, so that was “fun”. I actually was super freaked out by the umbrella, which came within a few feet of me.

Good training for a mass start, when you have to fight elbows and feet

I was glad I was done with my workout when that happened. It would have been anyway, as I’m not dedicated enough to any one workout to get skewered by an umbrella pole just to get in a few more laps.

Really? But what about the round number….?
    2023-04-07 5:30 AM
    in reply to: #5284968

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
    ^^ I’ll be honest…it would probably depend entirely on just how close I was to the next acceptable round number.
    2023-04-08 3:31 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
    17k run yesterday, new record, like every week. Feeling a little beaten up today though.

Ride planned today. My trainer blue tyre is worn out so rather than replacing it, I decided this was the end of Zwift season. I am going to buy a new trainer and maybe a cheap spare bike to put on it for next winter.

Left my racer in the shop for its annual service so it will be a mtb ride in the woods today.

Then hockey this afternoon. After losing at home on Tuesday, my team took it back directly and won away on Thursday, so we are back to square one. 2 games each, it’s best of 3 now.

Taking my running mate with me (not my dog, my human running mate). I talk a lot about hockey during our runs, she wants to see for herself what the fuss is all about.

2023-04-08 4:55 AM
    in reply to: #5284970

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
    1500yd swim this morning followed by a scheduled 2:15 ride with intervals…scheduled, not completed. I made it to 1:18, including the 10x1’@Z5, but the Z2 interval near the end just did me in. I couldn’t hit Z2. I gave it 23’, but then decided it was better to bag it and take the extra rest I clearly need.

Feeling a bit run down in general—several nights of poor sleep. Also noticed some swollen lymph nodes in my next this morning, so maybe I’m fighting something.
    New Thread
    Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
    Views: 871 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland