BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN- Miles and Miles ahead!!!! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 230

2010-03-24 3:46 PM
in reply to: #2744168

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN- Miles and Miles ahead!!!! CLOSED
SSMinnow - 2010-03-23 10:03 PM I am out the door at the crack of stupid tomorrow so have to ask the big question....WHO IS DOING A TRIATHLON THIS WEEKEND, maybe a HIM?  A ROAD RACE?   EXCITED OR FREAKING OUT??? DETAILS PLEASE!

I shudder to do this, but thought I would leave the slacker question up to John....oh John, what is the question of the week?  I will be radio silent until the pm, but don't let me down...I want lots to catch up on!

I have may annual Colon Cancer Run this weekend.  Though I'm not sure what exactly I'm in store for..  Apparantly there were 2 reservation systems taking reservations for the race, one through the Colon Cancer website and the other through the NYRR.  I guess they didn't talk to each other properly and the event sold out and Colon Cancer website still allowed you to register.  So now they have a "virtual" race that the overflow races in.  You need to run the same distance and submit the time by 8pm the night of the race.   I'm not sure if I'm in the actual race or the virtual. Totally lame..   I've tried calling and emailing the NYRR (I think all the NYC running races go through them) and no one answers the phone and no one replies to my email. 

2010-03-24 4:05 PM
in reply to: #2744853

User image

Master
Sin City
tri-chic - 2010-03-24 6:56 AM

DJ-  Make it the night before then all you have to do is warm it up!  OR...pick a crock pot dish and let it go.  Their your friends and will love whatever you serve no matter what.  I'm trying something new tonight in the crock pot that got rave reviews online, if it works out I'll let you know.

Get out there.  It's ALLLLL about priorities.  You can make it happen if you plan ahead.

Enjoy the beautiful weather.

Can't do it the night before...got finals. :-)
No can do on the crock pot - plans have been set in stone for me to make Baked Ziti (ironically a few of my friends have never tried it...wth?).

I think I will put in a very early bike ride, OR hopefully Bunco will finish quickly enough, and I can do it in the evening since it will still be light out. We'll see. It'll be done, it's just the matter of how. LOL.
2010-03-24 4:10 PM
in reply to: #2744168

User image

Extreme Veteran
No race this weekend, but a pre-race clinic on Sunday with an OWS on the course for the upcoming Gateway to the Bay Tri on 4/10 in Kemah.  It will be my first opportunity to use my new wet suit.  Looking forward to it!
2010-03-24 4:20 PM
in reply to: #2746080

User image

Master
Sin City
kkcbelle - 2010-03-24 1:22 PM
kt65 - 2010-03-24 2:55 PM Thanks for the good wishes, guys, I will think of you often out there!

Silly question that I cannot believe I am still unsure of, but for those of you who own the forerunner 305, do you have to switch from bike mode to run mode during transition 2?  I'm just not sure how to start it in multisport mode...If I do that, do I still get my mile splits for Bike and Run?

Kim

I manually switched from bike to run... BT didn't support multisport mode once upon a time (not sure if that has changed?)... and if you end up hitting lap for any reason you might end up with a transition or a run during your bike, etc. To me, I am totally data-anal (waiting for jokes on that one) -- so it's worth the extra 5 seconds to switch. I just got my T times from the race results.

My big dilemma for IM is the battery life on the 305. I'm thinking I use my 305 for the bike, and my husband's for the run (synch up my HR monitor with his 305 for the race). What do people do who don't have access to two units? 

There is a way to charge up the 305.

Pocket Charger  - however, I'm not sure how it will work for an IM. I've read somewhere that some people do this.

Two separate 305s sounds great, but what about those that doesn't have 2?

here's another link you can check out if you or your husband are tech savvy.

How to make your own Power for 305
2010-03-24 4:23 PM
in reply to: #2746000

User image

Champion
marietta
kt65 - 2010-03-24 2:55 PM Thanks for the good wishes, guys, I will think of you often out there!

Silly question that I cannot believe I am still unsure of, but for those of you who own the forerunner 305, do you have to switch from bike mode to run mode during transition 2?  I'm just not sure how to start it in multisport mode...If I do that, do I still get my mile splits for Bike and Run?

Kim

tony... where are you? 
2010-03-24 4:27 PM
in reply to: #2555972

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
75 degrees and sunny today, so we took our masters swim outside on the long course.  Kicked my butt.  Did a race pace 5k this morning and then went to masters and I was totally out of gas.  But man, it was nice to get outside and swim with the sun shining.

2010-03-24 5:22 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Holy crap!! you guys did not disappoint.  I leave for 8 hours and I feel like I am really far behind.....

Kim/Twin....I am sure SJ set you straight, but your swim is SOOOOOO solid as is your biking and we already know you are a running phenomenon....put that wetsuit on, take two deep breathes and take it at your own pace.

Doug...glad to see you are getting back to normal.  Not sure of your diet protocol, but I am finding some benefit following some of Bob Seebohar's advice which involves a whole lot less grains than I am used to, but is not low carb.

Stan...I hope you get to run the real race!  That SNAFU stinks.

Kelly...while I understand the rationale not to come to Lonestar you will be missed. DANG.  The more the merrier....

Trevor...no need to be afraid of me on the course....at dinners? that is a whole different story.   99% sure this is an aqua bike for me and like I said I am ok with it.  I have the whole season to get ready for September.

Barry...very jealous of your outdoor swim.  I was driving to Green Bay today and saw this little pond and it had only a tiny bit of ice on it and my first thought was "Hmmmmm, maybe I could swim in that before Lonestar!"...NOT!

DJ..two,maybe three deep breathes....it is too early in your tri career to give yourself a heart attack.  Do what you can and most importantly sleep...it is a big part of being an athlete.

John....you're still a naughty boy and you deserve a spanking...I think Trev offered to do it!Spank

Edited by SSMinnow 2010-03-24 5:23 PM
2010-03-24 5:29 PM
in reply to: #2746197

User image

Master
fattyfatfat - 2010-03-24 4:23 PM

Kim

tony... where are you? 

I'm not Tony, but I'll see if I can help...

If you want mile splits for the bike AND the run, you need to set each of them. So, with the 305 in RUNNING mode, go and set it to auto-split at the miles (Hit MODE, then select Training/enter, Training Options/enter, AutoLap/enter, set the trigger to By Distance -- and if you want an alert, set it from Alerts on the previous screen. Then, put the Garmin in BIKING mode and go through the same exercise if you want mile bike splits.). 

I set this up this past weekend for my race -- went to great pains on the shuttle to set the autolap, but to turn off the alerts (I didn't want to stress out if my miles were longer than the race's!). But duh, I had done it all in bike mode and forgot to switch the Garmin over until I realized it when my cadence was showing 0 about .2 into the race. Doh! Fortunately my friend always has hers set to auto-lap, so I got mile splits as long as we stayed together.

If you're doing multisport mode, you're on your own. Maybe Tony can help with that. I've run into too many problems with multisport mode to trust it!! 
2010-03-24 7:10 PM

User image

kkcbelle - 2010-03-24 4:22 PM

Kim

I manually switched from bike to run... BT didn't support multisport mode once upon a time (not sure if that has changed?)... and if you end up hitting lap for any reason you might end up with a transition or a run during your bike, etc. To me, I am totally data-anal (waiting for jokes on that one) -- so it's worth the extra 5 seconds to switch. I just got my T times from the race results.

My big dilemma for IM is the battery life on the 305. I'm thinking I use my 305 for the bike, and my husband's for the run (synch up my HR monitor with his 305 for the race). What do people do who don't have access to two units? 

I got a bike computer for the bike and used my 305 for? the run.  I don't think it will last for both...at least not for my speed  : )  I have also heard of someone using two different watches one for the bike and one for the run.

Edited by Havin'Fun 2010-03-24 7:16 PM
2010-03-24 7:14 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
kkcbelle - 2010-03-24 2:22 PM

Kim

garmin 310xt lasts for 20 hours....
2010-03-24 7:33 PM
in reply to: #2746197

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
fattyfatfat - 2010-03-24 5:23 PM

Kim

tony... where are you? 

Busy playing outside with the kids.

Hit Mode
Select Training
Select Auto Multisport

I have 2 sports set up  Bike and Run and select Include Transitions

If you don't know how to add/remove sports let me know, the explanation was getting confusing so I deleted it.

Before I head to the water I hit "Start Multisport"

When I get back to transition after the swim I put the watch on.

When I get to the mount line I hit start.

After the bike I hit lap and it starts timing T2

On my way out of transition I hit lap and it starts timing my run.

While running I hit the down arrow and it goes to my normal run screen which shows HR/Time/Lap Pace/Distance

Or you could leave it at the default multisport window which is Time/Distance.

Sounds like a lot of stuff, but not difficult really.  Try it with your watch now and if you can't figure it out let me know.

2010-03-24 8:04 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco
Thanks Tony and Kyla and Linda...

It makes total sense, I will try it later and then probably freak out and go back to my fumbling around ways in T2    j/k I really do want to try it!  Kyla, I did clear all of the data recently because that happened to me right as I went out on one of my 4 hour rides last month (wow was that actually just last 3 weeks ago?)  I suddenly feel like it's been a long time since I had a long ride.  Oh, no....not nerves!!!

These darn patients, don't they know I have to figure out my Garmin?  they keep showing up like clockwork......one more and then I am done until next Tuesday!  Woo-hoo!!!

2010-03-24 8:23 PM
in reply to: #2746468

User image

Champion
marietta
Havin'Fun - 2010-03-24 7:10 PM   I have also heard of someone using two different watches one for the bike and one for the run.

it never gets old.

Edited by fattyfatfat 2010-03-24 8:24 PM

(learning_to_tell_time.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
learning_to_tell_time.jpg (58KB - 18 downloads)
2010-03-24 9:23 PM

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
I sometimes wear 2 watches, but one on each wrist, so I am much cooler...
2010-03-24 10:23 PM

User image

Expert
San Antonio, TX

I do the whole watch/Garmin too.  What of it big guy?  LOL

I also wear two pairs of goggles during a race.  One around my neck and one on my face.  That way I'm prepared if a pair gets knocked off or isn't working for some reason.  - Yes, I'm a paranoid triathlete, but you WILL miss me at Lonestar because I would have been the one with two of everything.  There is NO packing light when it comes to a race. heh!

2010-03-24 11:59 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco
Crazy!  I brought my truck in for an oil change and tune up this morning only to find out at the end of the day that my front brakes only have 10% left!  I totally trust my mechanic, they have been working on my truck for years...and I have a slight memory of them telling me I should try to do it about 6 months ago!  Procrastinating is bad!

Yikes, that puts a little kink into our travel plans...they are going to fix them up and have it ready for me by noon tomorrow...I will have everything ready to load and then off we go.  Not so smart of me to leave it until the day before a long road trip, but I guess it was good not to leave it until after we got back. 

Well, I guess that gives me time to check and double check my gear.

Aiyah!

2010-03-25 5:55 AM

User image

Champion
For those with AT issues, I pass this blurb along....no idea how it works or if it does, but as someone who uses prolotherapy regularly, I thought it was worth monitoring another alternate therapy.
2010-03-25 6:13 AM
in reply to: #2746609

User image

fattyfatfat - 2010-03-24 9:23 PM
Havin'Fun - 2010-03-24 7:10 PM   I have also heard of someone using two different watches one for the bike and one for the run.

it never gets old.

No I was seriously referring to someone (not in the mg) that wore one watch for the IM bike and then a different watch for the IM run. 

Although that is such a good picture of Tracy it  should be posted from time to time.  Anyone ever notice Tracy NEVER takes a bad picture?  So photogentic!

2010-03-25 7:51 AM
in reply to: #2747010

User image

Expert
San Antonio, TX

SSMinnow - 2010-03-25 5:55 AM For those with AT issues, I pass this blurb along....no idea how it works or if it does, but as someone who uses prolotherapy regularly, I thought it was worth monitoring another alternate therapy.

I have a friend who is a sports doctor and she uses them too.  Tell me more about the prolotherapy.  Where do you get it and how long do the results last?   I've asked my docs about it and they would rather I go with the one that uses your own blood vs the sugar mixture.  Either way they need to get on it.  Guess I will make an appointment today and ask about both again.  Sitting around isn't doing anything.

2010-03-25 8:10 AM

User image

Expert
Man I feel like I just ran a BQ marathon... My life has been chaotic at best  the past few days.  I have gotten in some bike/runs and keep easily working my wrist.  I feel like the breaks are getting better, I must have some scar tissue that I am going to start working on at the moment its pretty limiting of the mobility in my wrist.

Life has been crazy, working to try and replace my wifes bike since she wants to go back to a road bike and work has been demanding. 

Catching up on the posts.  Sorry I could not jump in about Garmins earlier, I love technology

Have a few things in the works which might make me change my overall season goals and objectives, will see how they pan out. stay tuned!
2010-03-25 8:35 AM
in reply to: #2747184

User image

Champion
My sports med doctor is Mark Timmerman.  He was trained to do prolotherapy with the guy that came up with the concept.   If you don't know much about it this website can be useful.  Its most basic premise is the injections insite further inflammation to speed healing and strengthen the area being treated.  I have used it sucessfully on several soft tissue injuries including PF, ITB and a severe adductor strain after the bike accident.  There are times when he will tell me prolo will not help certain muscle groups and it doesn't work for everyone.  I am one of his better sucess stories, but some of his patients see almost no benefit from it or quit because the injections can be painful.  For me, they are tolerable....a session can be many, many injections.  I think my adductor probably had 30-50. The foot was the most painful.  Typically I am sore the day of and maybe the next day, but he encourages activity, no sitting around.....oh and no pain relievers before or after....when I have injections I don't take an Advil for at least 3-4 weeks.  It may take several sets of monthly injections to get complete healing.  I had 4 for my adductor, but was progressively better each month.  Some would say it was the time that healed the strain, but I trained for Boston straight through it last year and only took two weeks off of running so I say "I don't think so".   This is really all about healing an area so wear-off is not applicable.  It either helps to heal the area or it doesn't.  I had tried cortisone for my PF first and it was a total waste of cash.  Prolo works far better for me.

Mark and I talked about the PRP method of using your own blood which is based on the same principle.  He feels that if he can get as good of result with the glucose solution it will be available to many more people because of the price.  I think my injections are $100 per treatment area (not covered by insurance) although the office visit is covered.

To me, finding the doctor that has done 1000s of thes treatments is key.  They know exactly where to place the injection for the greatest chance of relief.  I do have some studies that Mark forwarded to me if you would like them. It is a newer treatment method so there are tons of skeptics...the UW-Madison is doing an extensive study on it and hopefully it will yield better info for people to make decisions on whether the treamtent is right for them.  PM me your email and I can send them to you.

tri-chic - 2010-03-25 7:51 AM

SSMinnow - 2010-03-25 5:55 AM For those with AT issues, I pass this blurb along....no idea how it works or if it does, but as someone who uses prolotherapy regularly, I thought it was worth monitoring another alternate therapy.

I have a friend who is a sports doctor and she uses them too.  Tell me more about the prolotherapy.  Where do you get it and how long do the results last?   I've asked my docs about it and they would rather I go with the one that uses your own blood vs the sugar mixture.  Either way they need to get on it.  Guess I will make an appointment today and ask about both again.  Sitting around isn't doing anything.

2010-03-25 8:41 AM
in reply to: #2747021

User image

Champion
marietta
Havin'Fun - 2010-03-25 6:13 AM

fattyfatfat - 2010-03-24 9:23 PM

it never gets old.

No I was seriously referring to someone (not in the mg) that wore one watch for the IM bike and then a different watch for the IM run. 

Although that is such a good picture of Tracy it  should be posted from time to time.  Anyone ever notice Tracy NEVER takes a bad picture?  So photogentic!

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/photos/show-album.asp?albumid=12009&photoid=100267

you're really making this too easy linda.
2010-03-25 8:44 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Tony, you're just jealous that you can't pull off the two watch look!   It is vitally important to have 2 watches,  the Timex gets the overall race time since I can start it in the water and the Garmin is used for the bike and the run.   After that photo was taken I tried wearing the Garmin on the other wrist to avoid the teasing but it felt too weird, so I'll deal with you guys instead. 

Speaking of Garmin watches, does anyone know if they make an x-small wrist band?  My Garmin always bounces around b/c I can't get the strap tight enough.  I'm using the velcro strap right now.

I plan on using 2 garmins for Canada.  I'll steel my hubby''s for the bike and use my own for the run.  Hopefully by that time we'll have a power meter on the bikes   

Thanks for the instructions on the Garmin Tony.  I'll have to try that.  Don't know if I'll remember to get the T times like you do but I'll give it a go.

I RAN YESTERDAY!!!   Write it down!   Plus I went sans Garmin and it was very disturbing.  I felt so naked and liberated at the same time.  That makes 3 workout days in a row for me.  I had forgotten what that felt like.   Feels good.
2010-03-25 8:45 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Thank you Linda.

I'm glad you are having fun this morning John.  Happy to help. 
2010-03-25 9:01 AM
in reply to: #2747367

User image

Champion
marietta
tahrens - 2010-03-25 8:45 AM Thank you Linda.

I'm glad you are having fun this morning John.  Happy to help. 

so nice to have the NC girls up on the MG this morning!!!!!!!   nice job yesterday.  i've thought about tossing the garmin but for nothing else, it makes logging and managing workouts very simple.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN- Miles and Miles ahead!!!! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 230