BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN- Miles and Miles ahead!!!! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 230

2009-12-12 7:13 PM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Subject: SWBKRUN- Miles and Miles ahead!!!! CLOSED
NAME: SWBKRUN/ Steve Birds
STORY: I am from Seattle and have been doing triathlons for approximately 10 years. I remember when I was 22 watching my wife do her 1st race. It was Danskin. I was so proud of her, but knew that that was something that I never would want to do!!! That is not my cup of tea I THOUGHT!!! Well I some how got suckered into a sprint the very next year, and thought that was "PRETTY FUN."

What's next? I tried another, and had more fun, then another, then the next distance. AN OLYMPIC DISTANCE! That was pretty fun, let's try something different. How about a marathon! WOW that was hard, but what a victory. Ok, I did that... Now let's try a 1/2 Ironman! UGH! TOUGH BUT GREAT.. ANOTHER VICTORY! That really only leaves the mother of all mothers!!

I have been a mentor since this program started 3 years ago, and LOVE EVERY MINUTE OF IT!!! WE WILL GO FAR TOGETHER!!!!!!!!!!  My last group rocked and we have over 1700 post over the past few months!!! Get ready to be integrated with 3 sports, and everything that goes with it!  !!!  Look forward to meeting you!

That is right THE IRONMAN! It is logical in the steps of my life goals. I have done all other distances. This seems to be the next step, but wait! I said that I never wanted to do a triathlon 10 years ago, and here I am. I now proudly have a Ironman tattoo, and bragging rights for the rest of my life, but that is not enough! What is next? I don't know! Help me out, LET US HELP EACH OTHER OUT! WHAT IS THAT NEXT GOAL! Join my group, and I will make sure we ALL GET THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I  am ALWAYS looking for the next great adventure and push myself to where all my friends and family think I am stupid !!!! Or crazy
FAMILY STATUS: Married (KIM)almost 8 years, no kids, and a chocolate lab (KONA
CURRENT TRAINING: Training to me is the fun part.  More enjoyable than the races.... It's all about the journey with me!  I love getting out in different scenery, weather, people, etc.  I guess that I lack consistency in my workouts.  You won't see me on the treadmill everyday!
THIS YEAR'S RACES: This year I was able to race only a couple times!  I helped my sister complete her 1st 1/2 Marathon.  Raced Boise 70.3 in a PR of 5:26, raced an Oly w/ a PR of 2:28 (2nd in AG, 11th Overall), raced a couple adventure races (sprints) finishing 1st in my division 3rd-5th Overall 
2010 RACES:  This is still in the up in the air for me.  I will probably being doing 3 1/2 Ironman's BOISE 70.3 series,Pacific Crest 1/2 Ironman and the Lake Chelan 1/2 Ironman.... And A TRIP TO CANADA TO SIGN UP FOR 2011!

WEIGHTLOSS: I maintain a weight based strictly on exercise, and lucky genetics.  I am a huge fan of Pizza, Chips/Salsa, and JACK AND COKES!!!  
WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I will be a good mentor to you for several reasons!!! I am fun, energetic, encouraging, and am a realist!  I am no TYPE "A" personality, and I am an experienced MIDDLE OF THE PACKER!!! So should never be afraid to ask me questions, and I plan on learning from others, and being encouraged from others!!!  My last Group had 100's (I MEAN 100's) of pages of GREAT INFO, ENCOURAGEMENT, AND BANTER!!!! YOU WILL LOVE THIS GROUP, and THIS GROUP WILL LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by swbkrun 2009-12-14 2:27 PM

2009-12-12 8:55 PM
in reply to: #2555972

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN- Miles and Miles ahead!!!! (OPEN FOR BUSINESS)
I'm in again. Will post a current bio shortly. looking forward to the SWBKRUN group again.
2009-12-12 9:09 PM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

Me too...

2009-12-12 9:58 PM

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
I will come along for the ride if you'll have me.

Entering my second year of tri's.  1 sprint, 1 oly, 1 half marathon and 2 10Ks this past season.  I will post a full bio tomorrow or Monday.

George
2009-12-12 10:04 PM
in reply to: #2556103

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Here, Sam says her too, she's just too lazy to post.
2009-12-12 11:00 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
BIO

I kick a$$

2009-12-12 11:15 PM

User image

Regular
Seymour, IN
I'm in for another round...
Reuben
35, Married 12 years, 3 kids - 10 year old son and 8 and 4 year old girls.

I've been an athlete as long as I can remember.  However, college slowed me down with about 120 pounds of pizza and beer.  About three years ago I went from 330 to 265 over the winter and have stayed there.  BTW, I am 6'9" 
Ran the Indy Mini (half marathon) last May as my first ever endurance event.  Did my first tri this past August.

Currently working on a schedule for this summer.  Got a good kick in the butt (today actually) from one of my oldest friends who's wanting to do some tri's this summer.   It'll be nice to have a local newbie with similar experience, abilities, and size.

My biggest training problem will be scheduling.  My older daughter plays basketball and softball and does gymastics and my son is on two baseball teams and two basketball teams.  One of the baseball teams is a good travel team which played nearly 80 games last summer.  The tournaments really eat up my weekends.

Most importantly my wife, Robin, has really gotten into tri's as well.  She's not around here and doesn't train as much as she wants to (she's also a physical freak that can get away with minimal training) but really enjoys it.

Looking forward to another round...can we beat 477 pages?

Edited by BigReub 2009-12-12 11:16 PM
2009-12-13 5:56 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
I'm never leaving.....third round of being mentored by Birdy.

Suzy Shain, 46, no kids, no pets, semi fun husband of 20 years

Been doing triathlon for two years, started doing Sprints and built up to a HIM this year. Began competitive running when I was 39 years old, did 12 marathons and now 99% focused on triathlon.  Swimming was my achilles heel and probably still is although I feel like I can swim a LOOOOONG way, but SLOOOOOWLY. "A" race is IMWI '10 which is in my backyard, literally.

Currently injured, but doing my best to work through it with a smile on my face.

Tell us if you want more Birdy (aka SWBKRUN mentor head, Steve).

Suzy
2009-12-13 5:58 AM

Veteran
My name is Monica.
Last season I completed 3 sprints and 1 olympic. I am trying to move up to more olympics and an HIM this year.
Running has been the hardest part to build any kind of base because I am getting over foot surgeries on each. My surgeon said last time that I was good to go and see him on a PRN basis. So far, I am training for a half mary in March and I am currently following a running program that gradually builds over time, which I think I need.
Aside from tri training, my work schedule is very hectic and I put in long days. Somehow, I wonder how I get all of the training in. I have really gotten hooked on this sport!
2009-12-13 7:35 AM

User image

Expert
I want in!! My last mentor group was really great, but we didn't quite make it to the end of the season. I want to be with people who are in it for the long haul this time around!

Last season was my first in tris. I did a super sprint, a couple of sprint and mid-distances, then missed out on my OLY because I broke my ankle the weekend before the race in a soccer game. It took me a long time to come back and now I'm gearing up to train for my first marathon in May. I will seek revenge on the OLY  that got away and maybe a couple other sprints in there too.

I am a good (relative term, I suppose) runner, average cyclist, and weak swimmer. I will spend a lot of time swim training, I hope! I also just bought a tri bike and will probably have lots of questions because it's a bit too much bike for me (titanium frame, tubular tires, etc) and I am still a relative newb.

Thanks for letting me join this great group!
2009-12-13 8:46 AM

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
Samantha, Married 15 yrs., 2 kids - 6 yr. old boy and 3 yr. girl, work almost full-time (4 days a week)

I started triathlons 3 years ago as a New Year's Resolution and a way to get back in shape after kids.  When I started, I couldn't really swim, hated to run and was terrified on the bike.  Fast forward to this year, I completed a HIM and finished my 2nd marathon.  I'm officially hooked on endurance sports.

I have a wonderful support group at home that includes a husband that competes as well, kids who root for me at events and look forward into trying their hand at triathlons, a mother who stands on her head to help watch the kids while we squeeze in training and a great online support group.

This year I am focused on some HIMs to improve on my super slow 7 hr. HIM time and another marathon to try and qualify for Boston.  Sadly, running is my strength even though that is still kind of slow by runner's standards.  The bike is coming along w/ practice - I can almost drink easily on the bike.  LOL And well, swimming I can swim from point A to point B w/o drowning but it's painfully slow.  My husband and I hired a coach a few weeks ago to help us achieve our time goals and organize our training schedules around our lives.  So far, so good.

I look forward to the wonderful knowledge and support from this group and I hope I can contribute as well.

2009-12-13 9:03 AM

User image

Champion
marietta
seems we can't edit beer fueled posts yet. 

name: john

this will be my second year.  last year i completed a few sprints, a 1/4 IM, and 2 HIM's. my weak point is swimming, ahh biking, and ummm running. 

i have 3 dogs, 3 kiddos, and an AWESOME wife.  currently my 2.5 year old is walking around the house showing people the crack in her butt.

my second term with swbkrun.  big welcome to all the new peeps.

Edited by fattyfatfat 2009-12-13 9:13 AM
2009-12-13 9:11 AM
in reply to: #2556241

User image

Champion
marietta
trysprintolympic - 2009-12-13 7:35 AM I want in!! My last mentor group was really great, but we didn't quite make it to the end of the season. I want to be with people who are in it for the long haul this time around!

Last season was my first in tris. I did a super sprint, a couple of sprint and mid-distances, then missed out on my OLY because I broke my ankle the weekend before the race in a soccer game. It took me a long time to come back and now I'm gearing up to train for my first marathon in May. I will seek revenge on the OLY  that got away and maybe a couple other sprints in there too.

I am a good (relative term, I suppose) runner, average cyclist, and weak swimmer. I will spend a lot of time swim training, I hope! I also just bought a PINK tri bike and will probably have lots of questions because it's a bit too much bike for me (titanium frame, tubular tires, etc) and I am still a relative newb.

Thanks for letting me join this great group!

there ya go.  a few people, esp the NC girls, will find this very important.   nice looking ride.
2009-12-13 9:25 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
I am in again.

My name is Doug. This is my 2nd year. I did all sprints and olympics last year.
FAMILY STATUS: Married 13 years with two kids.

CURRENT TRAINING: I have had a coach for one month now. Concentrating on my running and using the marathon as my focus.
2010 RACES: I am doing a marathon 3/21 and 1/2IM Augusta 9/26 as my A races. I have other sprints and olympics planned.

Biking is by far my strength. I was a competitive cyclist a lifetime ago. My swim used to be my worst but I worked at it this past year and now running is my worst. But I am hoping to flip flop them again.

Looking forward to another year of inspiration.

Doug
2009-12-13 10:09 AM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

Holy Mackerel. This group has become infamous. People are jumping at the chance to join. I am in for another sessio. I'll get my bio up soon. Have to go Christmas shopping with my wife right now. You know what they say "if momma's not happy then no one is happy"

2009-12-13 11:59 AM

User image

Veteran
I'm in!.  Looking forward to staying in touch and staying motivated. 

I did some sprints in my early 20's and then had a five year layoff from tri's.  I'm 30 now with one more sprint under my belt and shooting for the FL70.3 in May.  I'm decent at both the swim and bike, but I'm not a great runner.

I'm a military pilot so I'll be traveling a bit during the training season.  No hubby or kids, so other than work I should have enough time to devote to training and eating right.  I'm trying to get back down to a good weight and have 20lbs to go.  (lost 10 so far)  I'm in Little Rock, AR until Feb then back to Colorado Springs where I live full time.  Can't wait. 

Good luck everyone! 

2009-12-13 1:35 PM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

Name  Redknight, Rob 57

story: I'm from Guelph Ont Cda. and am going into my third year of triathling (if that is a word). If not then I'm offically claiming it as my new contribution to the mentor group for this session. I started running after I retired from karate. I'm not exactly positive I can nail down why I decided on triathlons. I was never a distance kind of person. When  I was younger I considered a 100 yd dash a long distance and a mile run was a marathon to me. I needed another challenge and my BIL and SIL were both running. I decided to give that a try. I had always liked watching the IM Kona but never dreamed of doing anything like that. While web surfing I found out about the shorter distances and a new triathlete was born.

This past year I was able to complete my first ever Olympic distance (Guelph) and Half Ironman (HIM) in Muskoka. It was a slow time ( over 8 hours) but I did something that not many people complete in their life time.

During my time in the sport I have met a wonderful group of people know as SWBKRUN'ers. What an awesome group. Also the comraderie her and everywhere in the sport has been phenomenal. I have never been in a group where everyone is helping each other get better and hoping they will better your time at some point.

family:   married, two daughters grown with three awesome grandchildren between them.
2010 goals: Do the same races as 2009 and improve my times. I want to particularly improve my cycling and running and maybe my swimming. Other than those three I am set to go. oh yeah and I need to remember to take adequate fuel during the races. There that's all.  Oh maybe run a half mary ot two. I plan on volunteering at a couple of events this year also.

P.S. you may have to decipher someof my typng alos as I have a tendency for my mind to move much more quickly than my fingers.

Edited by Redknight 2009-12-13 1:46 PM
2009-12-13 2:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I'm in againName: Stan Age: 35Story: finished my first season and looking forward to another. I did 3 sprints and 1 olympic this past yr and looking to do 2 olympics and 2 sprints this yr. I live in NYC so training is difficult at times but definitely possible, currently most of my training is indoors but that is soon to change. Moving 1.5 blocks from Central Park in 6-7 months.Family status: Married 5yrs and 2yr old boy.Current training: trying to learn and adapt to a new running style due to bad knees/legs. Running is by far my weakest leg and swimming is my best. I'm in a swim masters club and being pressured to race with them but currently no time. swimming wise I need to learn to do a better job sighting, I suck at it. Biking, I just need to put more time in the saddle.This year's races: Olympic wise want to do the NYC Triathlon again but it sold out in 7 min, I may still do it but it will just cost a ton. Thinking about the DC and Westchester Tri as well. Sprints are up in the air.Weightloss: Lost 25lbs since last yr but gained 5 back over the last month mainly due to drinking many servings of scotch and bourbon. Want to lose 15lbs more.

Edited by trying1 2009-12-13 2:16 PM
2009-12-13 2:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
sorry for some reason my formating isn't being kept when I submit my post.
2009-12-13 6:10 PM

User image

Expert
Hey Rob, I'm from Ontario too! I actually went to high school at PHS in Cambridge, but now I live near Windsor.

Maybe we'll race together this season at some point.
2009-12-13 7:07 PM
in reply to: #2556281

User image

Regular
Seymour, IN
sdalessio - 2009-12-13 9:46 AM Samantha, Married 15 yrs.,

3 kids - 6 yr. old boy and 3 yr. girl, and 36 yr old male (appr) work almost full-time (4 days a week)

I fixed your kid count, Sam.

2009-12-13 7:35 PM

User image

Champion

I'm in for another year of course. (LOL copied my intro from last time)

Name: Tony

Family Status:  Married for 15 years have 2 kids 6 and 3.   My wife is in the group also sdalessio

Current Training:
3rd full year of training, doing my first HIM in April at Lonestar.

2009 Races: Started the year off with Shamrock 1/2 Marathon, did Mooseman Olympic, a bunch of sprints, running races, TT and Marine Corps Marathon.

2010 Races/Goals: So far signed up for Lonestar HIM & Columbia Oly, + Planning on doing Blackfly Tri, and a other sprints/olys, running races, TT's, hopefully get in some bike road races and doing the Disney Marathon in Early Jan 2011

Weightloss:
Working on trying to get a few pounds off but weight loss isn't a real goal.

This is my 4th time in Steve's group, we have a great time in here, a bunch of good people.

Edited by dalessit 2009-12-13 7:35 PM
2009-12-13 7:36 PM
in reply to: #2556771

User image

Champion
BigReub - 2009-12-13 8:07 PM
sdalessio - 2009-12-13 9:46 AM Samantha, Married 15 yrs.,

3 kids - 6 yr. old boy and 3 yr. girl, and 36 yr old male (appr) work almost full-time (4 days a week)

I fixed your kid count, Sam.

HA 38...
2009-12-13 7:55 PM
in reply to: #2556406

User image

Champion
marietta
sarahswhere - 2009-12-13 11:59 AM I'm in!.  Looking forward to staying in touch and staying motivated. 

I did some sprints in my early 20's and then had a five year layoff from tri's.  I'm 30 now with one more sprint under my belt and shooting for the FL70.3 in May.  I'm decent at both the swim and bike, but I'm not a great runner.

I'm a military pilot so I'll be traveling a bit during the training season.  No hubby or kids, so other than work I should have enough time to devote to training and eating right.  I'm trying to get back down to a good weight and have 20lbs to go.  (lost 10 so far)  I'm in Little Rock, AR until Feb then back to Colorado Springs where I live full time.  Can't wait. 

Good luck everyone! 

welcome sarah.  former naval officer here.  heading back to springs so are you Air Force?  what do you fly?  we had a late joiner in the last mg,  BEVO88, who is Air Force as well.  hopefully he'll be showing up in this group. also a few Army brats and one married to the Army.  so a good mix of service here.  thankfully no Coast Guard... yet ;-)

i see your vff review.  cool.  been a topic of conversation with a few of us thinking about picking up a pair.  i'm waiting for the new releases later in 2010 before pulling the trigger.  here is her review if anyone is interested.

florida has a sweet run profile.  there's going to A LOT more talk about it in the coming months but a bunch of us are heading to Lone Star 70.3 in April.  if you aren't registered yet we're going to twist your arm and try to get you, and everyone else to join us there. 
2009-12-13 8:21 PM

User image

Expert
Auburn AL

Count me in! This will be my THIRD go round with the SWBKRUN MG.   

NAME: Barry

STORY: I have always been more than inspired when watching documentaries of the Ironman.  I have a cycling background, or let me just say that I have been riding with my group for several years and have enjoyed it.  In Oct. 2008, I told my wife that I was going to try to do a Half Ironman in September, and I knew that was a STRETCH, as I have never run or really swam.  I had a pretty good "lake stroke" but that was it.  I made it over the hump and am way further along than I ever thought possible.  UPDATE>>>HIM Completed.  This year I will be looking to improve my run and focus on getting comfortable at the HIM distance.

FAMILY STATUS: Married to Shawna with 5yr old son Jones

CURRENT TRAINING: Training daily and sometimes 2 or 3 times daily.  Who would have ever thought it?

THIS YEAR'S RACES: West Point Olympic, Auguta Half Ironman

2010 RACES:  My focus race is the Gulf Coast HIM and Augusta 70.3 in September.  Planning on a couple sprints or and olympic along the way.

WEIGHTLOSS: Just got to lay off the half gallon of ice cream and roll of chocolate chip cookies in a sitting and I will be alright.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN- Miles and Miles ahead!!!! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 230