BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D and Queen Zipp's SWIM, BIKE RUN consistency thread.... CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 64

2013-01-23 11:29 PM
in reply to: #4549087

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Fred D and Queen Zipp's SWIM, BIKE RUN consistency thread.... CLOSED

Everyone around me is getting sick. Both girls had girl scout meetings cancelled cause the leaders are throwing up (which messes up tomorrow's schedule and means I won't get to swim!).  1/2 their classes are home sick from school it seems like.  My wife just called me and said she's sick (not at home this week, fortunate for me I guess!).  One of my girls is sniffly and on the edge, it feels like it's just a matter of time till it all takes me out too.  we'll see...  

I just ordered that book from amazon, thanks for the link!  I think I may also re-read Daniels running book, I really liked it and it's been a few years.  I could use a refresher.  

In the mean time, I'm trying to drink a ton of water, and avoid all human contact!  I am driving on a school field trip tomorrow though, I'm worried it may just be the death of me.  Or at least my immune system.  I might spray the kids with Lysol before they get in my car.

I have a treadmill run scheduled for tonight, I'm debating skipping it and just resting more.  On the other hand, 30 minutes of sweating may just be what I need.  Might just turn it down an extra notch and really take it easy.

I also second (third?) what deehtz said about the group helping.  I'm definately feeling the virtual encouragement and KNOW I wouldn't be doing as well as I have been if it weren't for this group.  Thank you all!

david.

2013-01-24 5:20 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-01-24 6:04 AM

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Subject: RE: Fred D and Queen Zipp's SWIM, BIKE RUN consistency thread.... CLOSED
Ditto on this group keeping me going...even if I have to rearrange my schedule to get my workouts in, at least I'm not skipping multiple ones. Consistency rocks!
2013-01-24 7:05 AM

Expert
Tremonton, Utah

Two runs in a row for me this week !   Whoo Hoo!

The team here is helping me keep honest and working.

THANKS!

2013-01-24 8:00 AM

Carbondale, Illinois

The fear of reporting missed workouts to the group has gotten me out of bed a couple of times this month, so thanks everyone!!  This morning was a close shave on the bed winning when I woke up and the outside thermometer said it was 16F.  I can see that darn thing from the bed too, so it is sometimes really hard to get up the gumption to get out of bed.  16F was the good news though...windchill between -9F and -20F, depending on the gusts.  That was one COLD run, but I got it in and feel better for it.  I have a swim session scheduled into that slot between classes today.  Here's hoping no one has lots of questions after class, cause it is a tight 90 minute window when you include walking to the gym, changing, swimming, showering, walking back, and a bite of lunch.  Last time I did it I had to finish my sandwich on the walk to class.

Question:  Do you all find that you sweat a lot (and I mean A LOT) more when it is cold outside?  Not so much on the actual run/bike, but for the hour after I get inside and into the warm I sweat non-stop, and we're talking the dripping off the end of the nose, soaking through the clothing type sweating going on.  Even if I shower I'll start sweating as soon as I turn the water off.  What's up with this and how do I stop it (if I can).  Waiting an hour to shower after workouts is hard sometimes (like at lunch today!).

2013-01-24 8:33 AM
in reply to: #4592204

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
norcal_SAHD - 2013-01-23 11:29 PM

Everyone around me is getting sick. Both girls had girl scout meetings cancelled cause the leaders are throwing up (which messes up tomorrow's schedule and means I won't get to swim!).  1/2 their classes are home sick from school it seems like.  My wife just called me and said she's sick (not at home this week, fortunate for me I guess!).  One of my girls is sniffly and on the edge, it feels like it's just a matter of time till it all takes me out too.  we'll see...  

I just ordered that book from amazon, thanks for the link!  I think I may also re-read Daniels running book, I really liked it and it's been a few years.  I could use a refresher.  

In the mean time, I'm trying to drink a ton of water, and avoid all human contact!  I am driving on a school field trip tomorrow though, I'm worried it may just be the death of me.  Or at least my immune system.  I might spray the kids with Lysol before they get in my car.

I have a treadmill run scheduled for tonight, I'm debating skipping it and just resting more.  On the other hand, 30 minutes of sweating may just be what I need.  Might just turn it down an extra notch and really take it easy.

I also second (third?) what deehtz said about the group helping.  I'm definately feeling the virtual encouragement and KNOW I wouldn't be doing as well as I have been if it weren't for this group.  Thank you all!

david.

All your guys training is making me jealous. I've had a wicked head cold all week.  Trying to ease back into it today with a short run.  I've been miserable.

2013-01-24 9:11 AM
in reply to: #4592438

Master
Orlando
drfoodlove - 2013-01-24 8:00 AM

The fear of reporting missed workouts to the group has gotten me out of bed a couple of times this month, so thanks everyone!!  This morning was a close shave on the bed winning when I woke up and the outside thermometer said it was 16F.  I can see that darn thing from the bed too, so it is sometimes really hard to get up the gumption to get out of bed.  16F was the good news though...windchill between -9F and -20F, depending on the gusts.  That was one COLD run, but I got it in and feel better for it.  I have a swim session scheduled into that slot between classes today.  Here's hoping no one has lots of questions after class, cause it is a tight 90 minute window when you include walking to the gym, changing, swimming, showering, walking back, and a bite of lunch.  Last time I did it I had to finish my sandwich on the walk to class.

Question:  Do you all find that you sweat a lot (and I mean A LOT) more when it is cold outside?  Not so much on the actual run/bike, but for the hour after I get inside and into the warm I sweat non-stop, and we're talking the dripping off the end of the nose, soaking through the clothing type sweating going on.  Even if I shower I'll start sweating as soon as I turn the water off.  What's up with this and how do I stop it (if I can).  Waiting an hour to shower after workouts is hard sometimes (like at lunch today!).

Wow, you are tough! The coldest temp I have ever had the " opportunity" to run in was around 29* and that was only once when we had some freakishly cold weather ( for us) just in time for the Disney half and full marathons. I even was sleeted on during the race - a real first for me!As far as your sweating more after a cold workout question, obviously I'm not that experienced in that area, but I don't find that I sweat any more after a "cold" run, in fact, I think I sweat less.
2013-01-24 9:16 AM

Expert
Ontario

I have a good sized collection of triathlon/running books.  When I first started swimming I read the TI book and used some of the drills. It helped me a bit.  Later  I bought a book called Total Swimming by Janet Evans - I love this book.  She teaches you in details how to do all the swim strokes, gives lots of drills and has a bunch of training plans in the book.  Much more helpful to me than the TI book was.  I will have to check out the other book you are discussing though.

I have an appt in the city at 2, go to work at 7 so will go to the gym between for a treadmill run (It's minus 20C today, way below my too cold limit).  Should have time to go to the bookstore after and look for that book.

2013-01-24 11:50 AM

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Glad to see everyone getting consistent training in, makes a difference!

We all probably have a selection of books we use for references on training.  I have decided not to purchase any more items, but borrow from the library for a while.  My shelves are over crowded and I find too many times after buying the material that it just isn't a good fit for me.  For example, while I have never tried the TI swimming, I used a lot of the triswimcoach material.  Overall, his workouts are good.....they seem geared toward longer distance training though.  His  drill sets are generally good though.  BUT, he advocates strict kick on the side and not flat.  I found my swim was too  over rotated with that approach.  Since I have switched to a flatter swim position I am a lot smoother in the water at a slightly faster (not dramatically) pace. 

2013-01-24 5:50 PM

2013-01-24 5:54 PM
in reply to: #4592438

2013-01-24 7:47 PM
in reply to: #4593560

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Fred D - 2013-01-24 6:50 PM CONSISTENCY. Yes that's the key isn't it? Makes you a better triathlete, but also gives me a feeling of accomplishment as I actually get my workouts in time and time again. Today I ended up with a mediocre trainer ride but had a nice run after work. I won't be able to train tomorrow due to work commitments, but honestly I'm pretty pleased the way my January has been shaping up. January is always a tough month for me as is February. It's usually March and April where my training really picks up. How is everyone's January shaping up?[/QUOTE

Kind of disappointed that I dropped off the bike plan, but necessary to do that half mary next month.  Can't do both with good effort. Huge work stress lately is killing my mojo.  I feel good about what I have accomplished.  It is hard to train in the winter when contending with weather and illnesses.

Finish the month strong, we need to set new goals for February!!

2013-01-24 10:34 PM

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

Fred D - 2013-01-24 6:50 PM CONSISTENCY. Yes that's the key isn't it? Makes you a better triathlete, but also gives me a feeling of accomplishment as I actually get my workouts in time and time again. Today I ended up with a mediocre trainer ride but had a nice run after work. I won't be able to train tomorrow due to work commitments, but honestly I'm pretty pleased the way my January has been shaping up. January is always a tough month for me as is February. It's usually March and April where my training really picks up. How is everyone's January shaping up?

Well, not to toot my own horn -- and by previous years' standards my January this year was horrendous -- but I am very very stoked by my January, 2013.  I honestly had a few weeks in December when I seriously considered just bagging endurance training permanently.  I am so glad that I didn't.  I'm coming back slowly but I hope that by being slow and deliberate about it, I can make it a long-term aspect of my life.  And I'll say again that this group has been helpful in that respect.  I'm really glad to see others saying the same.

2013-01-25 8:47 AM

Carbondale, Illinois

Morning All!

At the beginning of the year I decided to switch my long swim day to Friday so I could swim in the pool when it was set to 50m (MWF 6-9:30 is long set--the rest is 25yd set).  Today, I finally managed to get to the pool during long set time.  I should have stayed in my office working, cause it was bad...like, real bad.  I managed to get 1000m in before deciding that I was just really embarrassing myself.  I don't really know what was out of sync because I had several things going on (like a new time, peanut butter for breakfast, no coffee, and having already had a major work issue arise before 7am).  Oh well...yesterday's lunchtime swim was great, so I guess I should be grateful for that.  I finished off my time in the pool practicing flip turns (not trying to start a discussion here!).  I managed to get a few where I didn't feel like I was going to die.  My goal for February is to consistently swim with flip turns by the end of the month.

Hope everyone is having a great day!

2013-01-25 8:53 AM
in reply to: #4594177

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
drfoodlove - 2013-01-25 8:47 AM

Morning All!

At the beginning of the year I decided to switch my long swim day to Friday so I could swim in the pool when it was set to 50m (MWF 6-9:30 is long set--the rest is 25yd set).  Today, I finally managed to get to the pool during long set time.  I should have stayed in my office working, cause it was bad...like, real bad.  I managed to get 1000m in before deciding that I was just really embarrassing myself.  I don't really know what was out of sync because I had several things going on (like a new time, peanut butter for breakfast, no coffee, and having already had a major work issue arise before 7am).  Oh well...yesterday's lunchtime swim was great, so I guess I should be grateful for that.  I finished off my time in the pool practicing flip turns (not trying to start a discussion here!).  I managed to get a few where I didn't feel like I was going to die.  My goal for February is to consistently swim with flip turns by the end of the month.

Hope everyone is having a great day!

I wonder if the face it was 50m made a difference.  I sort of think it might.  One less breath at the turn?  I would love to have a chance to swim in a 50m pool one day just to see what's it like.    

I think you have the right attitude.  Chalk it up to a bad day and begin fresh tomorrow.

2013-01-25 10:43 AM

Extreme Veteran
England

Fred D - 2013-01-24 11:50 PM CONSISTENCY. Yes that's the key isn't it? Makes you a better triathlete, but also gives me a feeling of accomplishment as I actually get my workouts in time and time again. Today I ended up with a mediocre trainer ride but had a nice run after work. I won't be able to train tomorrow due to work commitments, but honestly I'm pretty pleased the way my January has been shaping up. January is always a tough month for me as is February. It's usually March and April where my training really picks up. How is everyone's January shaping up?

Well, my January got off to a great start (thanks for that guys), but I've been ill for most of the last week.  I thought I was picking up on Tuesday, but still had a bit of a cough lingering.  I'm now at the stage where I think the cough may be developing into a full blown chest infection.  I'm trying to take it really gently because my husband had something similar last year and lost nearly a month of training because he kept pushing it.  I tried a turbo session yesterday, and anything in z1 or z2 was just too hard work for me.  I've been off work (on my scheduled days off) for the last 3 days and all I've done is rest.  Back in for night shift tonight, and I'm just hoping that doesn't finish me off.  I think I'll be visiting the Dr fairly soon if it doesn't pick up.  As a general rule I avoid antibiotics, but sometimes they're necessary.

Judi etc, thanks for the inspires.  I'll be picking things up again as soon as I'm well enough.

Congrats to everyone who is keeping things going.  It's great to hear about the CONSISTENCY!

2013-01-25 10:51 AM
in reply to: #4594177

Expert
drfoodlove - 2013-01-25 6:47 AMI should have stayed in my office working, cause it was bad,.. snip... no coffee,
Well there's your problem! I took my off day yesterday, not on purpose, but thats the beauty of having a scheduled off day. If something happens that takes out a day of training you just move up the off day and keep on going!Run and bike on the schedule for today.
2013-01-25 12:22 PM

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Last workout of the day is done.  Next one I do will be in 80F+ temperatures and I can't wait.  Virgin Islands here I come!

Have a great weekend everyone.

2013-01-25 3:51 PM

Champion
Happy Friday, all! Sure seems like a long "short" week...I spent Monday off with kids for MLK.

Got my week's workouts in, but for moving a bike from the week until tomorrow (will do a double bike/swim tomorrow to meet my week goals).

Plus the scale has been good to me this week...or I have been good to my body - that is probably a better way to frame it.
2013-01-25 3:51 PM
in reply to: #4594641

Champion
SSMinnow - 2013-01-25 1:22 PM

Last workout of the day is done.  Next one I do will be in 80F+ temperatures and I can't wait.  Virgin Islands here I come!

Have a great trip!!!
2013-01-25 7:21 PM

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
SSMinnow - 2013-01-25 1:22 PM

Have fun!

2013-01-26 9:28 AM

Expert
Tremonton, Utah

Fred D - 2013-01-24 5:50 PM CONSISTENCY. Yes that's the key isn't it? Makes you a better triathlete, but also gives me a feeling of accomplishment as I actually get my workouts in time and time again.... How is everyone's January shaping up?

January has been a mixed bag for me, but I'm absolutely certain I wouldn't have done as well without the support of this team.   I'll for sure make my running goal, but I'll probably miss my swim and bike goal becuase of stupid things like not being able to sleep at night, cancelled airplane flights, flooded bathrooms etc.   You know the little things... haha

I should make my average workouts per week goal, becuase there have been two weeks where I've done two separate workouts (one morning, one afternoon) on Saturday, but it's gonna be close.

Been working at finding a race to do to help keep me motivated and I think I have.   Still scared to 'pull the trigger' so to speak on it, but I'm pretty sure I'll register.   It's a sprint on March 16.   Will be good to race again.   Only hard thing is that that is our spring break week here and I'll be going to Alabama to visit mom, so will have to see how it all works out.

Thanks, team for your support -- you're all helping meet the goal of CONSISTENCY!

2013-01-26 9:32 AM

Expert
Tremonton, Utah
SSMinnow - 2013-01-25 12:22 PM

JEALOUS!!

I get to travel this week as well.. only to a balmy -10 to 20 degree farenheit climate!   ugh!

2013-01-26 9:58 AM

Expert
my internet went out at home on Thursday I'm typing this on my phone... I feel so disconnected from the world, it's weird! our TV is over Netflix so that's of course gone too. they're sending someone out on Tuesday to take a look at the problem. Until then I probably won't be typing much but I can still keep up with the forum on my phone.

have a great weekend!

Edited by norcal_SAHD 2013-01-29 12:39 PM
2013-01-26 11:51 AM

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Hi gang,

I lost internet yesterday mid day and had to go to the office which is about a 30 mile commute.  Once I got there it started snowing.  Southerners do not handle snow well.  My boss let me go home early and a co worker volunteered to cover my late duty which was nice....but it took 90 minutes to get home in the height of the snow.  Yeah, I felt disconnected too.  Cable was back by the time I got home.

My dilemma today was inside or outside to run.  My neighborhood never sees a plow.  THe road surface looked packed/ slick outside my door, but it really ranged from wet but clear, to slushy, to the packed mess, to powder.  Slowly made my way through 10 miles, but better outside than in.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D and Queen Zipp's SWIM, BIKE RUN consistency thread.... CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 64