BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 48

2019-04-01 2:34 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open
Mike gets the magic 500th post!!! Sorry...no prize.

Rest day here, but then tomorrow should start off a new training block as I get back to it after surgery. Went to the doc on Friday and she says everything is healing well and I can do anything I want, except swim for another week. No restrictions on activity, duration, intensity, or frequency. Also...I can breathe through my nose for what feels like the first time in multiple years.

2019-04-01 3:41 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

DeLand, Florida

Yay Gretchen is back to business!  And Mike too!  Love that swimming, spin, AND strength in 24 hours wasn't enough and you piled hot yoga on as well...  And (hopefully) Nicole's electricity is back to business also.

2019-04-01 3:42 PM
in reply to: firebert

User image

DeLand, Florida

58 miles for me on Saturday done and dusted!  Didn't know anyone on the ride so was just soloing at the beginning, in the crosswinds coming off the ocean (first half was down the coast on A1A).  A large group who I had passed, passed me a few miles later so I decided to hang on the back.  Stayed with them for a while and for 15 miles or so took a loooonng turn pulling at the front.  I've never led a group before, had no idea how much harder I needed to push since I was out of the draft so tried to just keep going and make sure they were still on my wheel.  Once we stopped at a light I found I had two guys still with me, everyone else had dropped off!  The two guys loved it, we were right at 20mph for the whole time I was pulling.  Just kept trying to channel my inner Thomas DeGendt.

Of course, I never got my handlebar height adjusted.  Some idiot overtightened my stem cap bolt and now I can't get it off.  It just kinds of slowly and difficultly spins but doesn't go anywhere.  (btw that idiot is me :lol  So I did the 58 miles with a slammed stem.  Had tension headaches of a very severe nature for like 24 hours....  I need to get on those shoulder and neck exercises!!!

2019-04-01 5:41 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Yay Gretchen, glad you are feeling good!

My electricity is still only temporarily hooked up, but it passed inspection today so they will come back out eventually with our electric company to move the meter and hook up the main power. I am just happy to be through the worst of it. A little annoyed that their inspection was literally just looking at what was done for 30 seconds. Not thorough at all, so not sure why they couldn't do it last week to avoid drilling another hole in my house.

Took a class on emotional intelligence today, so am trying to channel stuff I learned and get out of the funk I've been in the last week. Just finished a run, which definitely helped. Ran about 3.5 miles at around 9 minute pace. Tried to get in a good amount of hills since my race at the end of this month involves all uphill climbs.

Have volleyball tonight, and hoping to get to swim squad in the morning.

John, sounds like a solid ride! Sucks about your handlebars though!
2019-04-02 10:06 AM
in reply to: #5257205

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Coach is back with a bang! Trainer ride this morning. 9x2’ @120% FTP! The last two hurt.

Run later today—for some strange reason, coach doesn’t think a brick is a good idea after that ride!
2019-04-02 11:14 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Gretchen, glad to hear your on the mend and feeling better than before!

John, great job on the charity ride, sounds like fun.

Nicole, if your power isn't fixed soon your going to have to go on a real paleo-deit; hunting your food & cooking it in the back yard! Lol. Hope it's fixed soon.

I realized I haven't really checked in lately. Last week I was surprisingly consistent on my training even though I was sick. I wasn't feeling 100% the beginning of the week and dialed back my workouts, but got them in. Then Thursday the flue caught up with me, and from 9 am Thursday to 6 am Friday I was probably not awake more than 4 hours total. Chills, fever, aches, headache, all the good stuff. When I woke up Friday I was pretty much better, even did an easy 5 mile run Friday night. (Instead of a track workout I had scheduled)

Saturday I volunteered to help with the local Lake Minneola Sunset Tri. It's a small event, but it was cool to see everyone racing. There were even about a half dozen kids about 9-13! Now I'm very excited about my race coming up! In my head I was comparing my expected splits to the people coming through, I think I would have done pretty well.

Sunday I was scheduled for a swim but still didn't feel 100%, so I did a HIIT workout with my wife in the new home gym we set up... She kicked my butt! I'm sore in muscles I didn't know I had.

Finally last night was brick night. 1:30 on the trainer had my legs burnt, but the :30 run didn't feel that bad, even with a good chunk of it at race pace.

2019-04-02 12:38 PM
in reply to: riles32807

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

@John - nice job on the 58 miles and pulling @ 20 mph for that long.  Now think the TdF pros do that @ 28 mph.

@Nicole - ugh on the electricity and yes inspections are a joke

Got in an hour plus on the trainer today, main set was 4 x 10' sweet spot (88-94% FTP) with 3' RBI.  Nice workout and I nailed all the intervals without dying.  Did a bunch of core work afterwards.

2019-04-02 12:52 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

@John - nice job on the 58 miles and pulling @ 20 mph for that long.  Now think the TdF pros do that @ 28 mph.

Even faster in the one day Classics.  Was just reading that this weekend's Gent-Wevelgem averaged over 50kph (31mph) for the lead group!

Must be the equipment.  Surely my 2013 Ultegra level 18lb bike is 10 mph slower than the latest Dura-Ace equipped superbike :lol:

2019-04-02 2:11 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Feeling back to my normal self today. It's hard to explain being in a funk compared to baseline, although I'm sure you all have been there. I'm usually pretty content and don't stress out too much. Our volleyball match was a good one, so I think that helped a ton.

Didn't make it to swim this morning. Think I am making today a rest day so I can go hard at boot camp tomorrow. I've also not been getting nearly enough sleep lately, so need to get to bed early.

2019-04-02 2:22 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by nicole14e Feeling back to my normal self today. It's hard to explain being in a funk compared to baseline, although I'm sure you all have been there. I'm usually pretty content and don't stress out too much. Our volleyball match was a good one, so I think that helped a ton. Didn't make it to swim this morning. Think I am making today a rest day so I can go hard at boot camp tomorrow. I've also not been getting nearly enough sleep lately, so need to get to bed early.

The funk is real!  Been there at least once a season.  Glad to hear you're getting past it!

2019-04-02 3:20 PM
in reply to: #5257326

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
The dunk is absolutely real!!! And it sucks!!! Glad to hear your coming out of it. My wife will occasionally holler “dunk that dunk” at me when I’m in a funk. It is such a ridiculous statement that it usually gets me laughing.

2019-04-03 3:28 PM
in reply to: #5257351

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Hour run today—outside—65F—sunny—light cooling breeze. What more could a gal ask for?!?

Plus!! The black and brown brindled bulldog that used to attack me and my dog on one of our favorite streets has moved!! His owner’s wife gave them the boot. I suspect it was because the guy was an a$$. I’m happier about this development than I should be I think.
2019-04-03 5:04 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Gretchen - that's absolutely worthy of celebration!!  Also your weather=my weather today.  Rejoice for spring!!

45 minute run for me today, actually it was like 42 but I hit 5 miles so I called it.  No workout yesterday, it was the school science fair.  It's always something...  

2019-04-03 7:08 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Made it to boot camp this morning. It was beautiful here today too! Ahhhh I love it.

It's supposed to be decent here tomorrow too. Gonna swim in the AM and try to run after work.
2019-04-04 9:41 AM
in reply to: #5257377

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Pseudo brick for me this morning. Coach didn’t want me to brick my 1:20 bike/30 run, but in order to get everything in today, I had to do both before 9am. There is rain in the forecast and I’m headed two hours away for a lecture this afternoon. These things always go long and I’m sure there is some kind of activity afterwards. I know the speaker, so I’ll probably end up going. Anyway, time between ride and run was about 10’ after I wandered around looking for shoes and such. That’s a long transition, even for me!

Bonus: I found $10 on my run! Yesterday, my wife and I found $2 on a walk, so just 300 more days like this and we’ll have fully funded my tri habit!! :P
2019-04-04 11:20 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Bonus: I found $10 on my run! Yesterday, my wife and I found $2 on a walk, so just 300 more days like this and we’ll have fully funded my tri habit!! :P

That is hilarious! And awesome!

2019-04-04 11:22 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
2300 yds at swim squad this morning. It was tough getting out of bed. Still hoping to get a run in tonight, but if not I will try to get it in tomorrow, even if it's raining.
2019-04-04 11:32 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Shakopee, Minnesota
Hello all - been away from the forum for a few days. Dealing with a sore / tight muscle on the outside of the left hip, which can be discouraging. I think it's the gluteus minimus. It's been a minor nuisance for maybe 6 weeks, but really flared up last week, ironically during a cut-back week for running. Anyway, been icing it, and visited a chiro yesterday for some active release and other stuff.

I've figured out swimming and cycling don't aggravate it, so continuing on with those activities while a take anywhere from 1-4 weeks off running, depending on feel. Swim and cycle are my weakest, so this may not be all bad.

Recent workouts:
Friday, March 29 - rest day, hip was really bad Thursday
Saturday, March 30 - rest day also
Sunday, March 31 - swim 2850m with 8x200m pull drill
Monday, April 1 - exercise bike easy, 60min, 18.92 miles
Tuesday, April 2 - exercise bike steady, 60min, 20.02 miles
Wednesday, April 3 - swim 2600m, 64min, 1x500m -> 1x400m -> 8x50m hard -> 4x100m easy; strength train 22min
Thursday, April 4 - exercise bike workout, 79min, 25.89 miles, variation in exertion levels and times for 50 minutes

BOTW - Montgomery Brewing Peanut Buster Porter. Montgomery, MN. So so good, and that's a 750mL crowler!

{Whoa - the image came through really big. I'll get better at photos on here.}

Edited by rpaulson7 2019-04-04 11:33 AM

(mont.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
mont.jpg (691KB - 3 downloads)
2019-04-04 11:36 AM

User image

Shakopee, Minnesota
Originally posted by nicole14e

2300 yds at swim squad this morning. It was tough getting out of bed. Still hoping to get a run in tonight, but if not I will try to get it in tomorrow, even if it's raining.

Hopefully you're working out of the funk. Sometimes a mental reset is what we need, but the method is different for all of us. Hoping you find yours! Sometimes it would be nice if race day would just arrive already, so the milestone is complete.
2019-04-04 11:37 AM
in reply to: rpaulson7

User image

DeLand, Florida

Sorry about the hip...  There's a glute stretch I do that works for me for that sort of thing (my hips are my worst enemy).  Also doing some dynamic stretch warmups pre-run seems to help as well.

Thanks for the reminder of BOTW!  This was mine last week:

(sp dabble.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
sp dabble.jpg (7KB - 5 downloads)
2019-04-04 7:04 PM

User image

I was just thinking the other day that I don't find money on the ground any more.

Nicole, could it be your electrical problems (or something else) kicked you out of your routine? I find that if my daily life is upended it can take a while to build momentum back up.

I think I'm going to pass on the peanut butter porter. I'm wierd about nuts and bananas. I'll eat them by themselves but mostly don't like when they're in things.

Today day was my rest day, but the weather was so nice I decided to go for a lunch run. Just a nice easy zone 2-ish run. I think it's the first run in a long time that I just went out and enjoyed the weather, enjoyed the scenery, enjoyed the run.

2019-04-04 8:41 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Hi Everyone.

I'm here with better news than last time.

I had my CT scan on Monday, and have just got off the phone with the cardiologists office and all is well.

My heart looks good and my arteries got a perfect score for plaque build up (none found) so that, combined with the good treadmill test a week ago means I am cleared to resume exercise.

I'm also no longer a 'priority' case, so unfortunately that means I'm not going to get to see the cardiologist again for almost 4 weeks. So there may be more to come after I've seen him again. So until I talk to the Dr, I'm only doing easy paced exercise, so it looks like I'll be joining Gretchen with the low heart rate plan for the next month at least.

Still, very happy to be doing anything again. It has been a long month.
2019-04-05 5:10 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Originally posted by bulfrog
My heart looks good and my arteries got a perfect score for plaque build up (none found) so that, combined with the good treadmill test a week ago means I am cleared to resume exercise.

Hey! Great news Andrew!
2019-04-05 1:48 PM
in reply to: #5253131

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Great to hear, Andrew!!

Today was a 40’ run and I’m loving running post-surgery! It is sooooo much easier. I can’t even believe the difference pre and post. Hoping for an outdoor ride tomorrow, it is supposed to be 71F and sunny!! I have a bunch of outdoor chores, but I’m not sure I’ll be able to resist the first gorgeous day for riding!
2019-04-05 3:18 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
That Peanut Buster Porter sounds DREAMY. OMG can you please send some to me? haha

Andrew, so happy to hear you have been cleared!

Riles, my funk was definitely related to the electricity issues. The added stress was enough to just make me feel stuck and kind of depressed. I'm feeling much better! Still stressed but it has died down a lot. Looking forward to a beautiful weekend here in Baltimore. Hoping to get a lot of studying done tonight so I can enjoy it more.

I did not run after work yesterday and slept horribly last night, so didn't get a workout in this morning either. Gonna try to get to bed early and get some good sleep. It's much needed!

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open Rss Feed  

of 48

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Gals Masters Mentor Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by k9car363
Views: 8555 Posts: 105

2019-12-26 4:19 AM k9car363

sdalcher Beginning Tri Group - Open

Started by sdalcher
Views: 1038 Posts: 4

2018-04-04 7:28 PM leatherneckpa