BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 48

2019-03-24 12:28 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Subject: RE: Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open
Good to hear Gretchen!

Did about 1200 of a 3000 swim this morning. Just not feeling it. Told myself maybe I'd feel better after the warm up, but nope. Got through the first of three sets and decided today wasn't my day to swim.

I tried a 3 Daughters Rod Bender Red Ale last night on date night with the wife.

Nice flavor, not overly strong on the rye.

2019-03-24 2:13 PM
in reply to: riles32807

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Seven days in a row for me - that must be a new record.  LOL  Went to Sprint cycle class yesterday and that was brutal, then climbed 8 flights of stairs with 30# of kettlebells for strength training and did 5 x 1' planks w/ 30" RBI - that also sucked. 

@Gretchen - glad your surgery was successful and you got the outcome you were looking for.  Pretty rare in my experience.  Good luck with recovery - easy does it.

2019-03-24 5:55 PM
in reply to: #5256989

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Easy 20’ spin on the trainer today. Feeling pretty good so far in the recovery, but I’m sleeping like 14 hours a day. If I take a pill for the pain, I’m out. So far, I haven’t really worried about it too much, being more concerned with healing up right than being awake, but tomorrow brings a new day. A day I’m supposed to be productive at work. I’ll stick to Tylenol if there is pain tomorrow.
2019-03-25 8:39 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Good luck with work today, Gretchen! Hopefully having a long weekend to heal will help you adjust a bit better.

I finished my exam in the afternoon and was able to get a 4 mile run in after. It was GORGEOUS out. Had a ligament feeling kind of tight in my foot/ankle, so focused on my form.

Had a late night b/c my house is apparently having electrical problems. The electric company came out pretty late, and I soothed my stress with a Terrapin Moo-Hoo Chocolate Milk Stout (or 2). Unfortunately they couldn't fix it and I have to find an electric company this week. So I'm sure I will be soothing my stress more this week...

Edited by nicole14e 2019-03-25 8:39 AM
2019-03-25 8:53 AM

User image

Shakopee, Minnesota
Good weekend of workouts. I decided to pull up my running cut-back week to Friday. It was nice outside, and was wanting to go for an easy run outside rather than speed work / dreadmill.....again. I'd planned on the cut-back this week anyway, so just moved it up and will get back into speed work this coming Friday.

Friday
Run - recovery pace; 1:01:30, 7.05 miles, 8:43 pace outside

Saturday
Run - long run pace; 1:26:10, 10.53 miles, 8:11 pace outside

Sunday
Swim - 6x200m pull drill; 1:01:21, 2300m overall
Exercise cycle - 8x 2.5min hard, 2.5min easy intervals; 1:00:00, 18.65 miles

Traveling for work Tuesday-Thursday this week. Found a gym where I can swim and cycle, so will aim for that after work one night on the road.

BOTW is in. I was the driver Saturday night for 6 neighbors that went on a tour of four breweries. My intake was therefore limited. I'll give the award to the Batch #100 American IPA from Wooden Hill Brewing Company in Edina, MN. I rated it a 4 on Untappd. Also making this beer delicious was the fact that a 5oz sampler was free - apparently drivers drink for free, which is an interesting concept.

Have a strong week of workouts and recovery!
2019-03-25 9:13 AM
in reply to: rpaulson7

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by rpaulson7

apparently drivers drink for free, which is an interesting concept.

That makes zero sense, but that's pretty cool!

2019-03-25 10:18 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

60' on the trainer with 36' in sweet spot...did some core work afterwards.  Day off planned tomorrow after eight straight days.  Weather has finally broken around here and might be in the 70s on Saturday.  Outdoor ride, maybe??

2019-03-26 8:28 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Got a pretty good swim in this morning with my swim squad. Think it only ended up being about 1700 yds though. Badly need a nap now, as I had vball late last night so didn't get a ton of sleep.
2019-03-26 9:01 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

DeLand, Florida

Hi everyone!  Just checking in.  I'm now to the point of really having to make workouts fit in with life.  My wife started a new job today, and she's got a long commute - is out of the house 530am-5pm give or take.  In a couple weeks she will have 2x/week from home at least.  But on the other days, I'm in 'single parent' territory.  School drop off, pick up, meals...  I've been spoiled a bit while she was out of work since she did drop off and pick up.  

Had my longest run of 2019 on Friday, 8.5 miles.  Felt mostly good, though it's definitely tougher running in 80 and sun than it is in 60 and clouds!  Saturday was off, we were visiting a friend in south FL who was in town to see her parents.  MAN I need to retire like they did...one of those country club golf and tennis type communities.

Sunday I only managed 45' on the trainer, couldn't get into a rhythm and then it was dinner time...  I'm resetting (again) this week. Kept yesterday as my rest day, and went out and got new running shoes.  I love NGD (New Gear Day)!!  Apparently my shoes have a carbon fiber plate in the middle to help heel-toe transition.  Seems to be the 'it' thing now.  Carbon Fiber makes everything faster and lighter right? 

2019-03-26 3:13 PM
in reply to: firebert

User image

John, 80* is nice around here! Just wait till were hitting 101* with 98% humidity!

Do your main training in the cooler hours, but don't avoid the heat. Try to get out in it for 20-30 min as often as you can. Do some easy walking, running or biking if you can, & stay hydrated. Getting outside now will let you build your tolerance as the weather gets hotter.

Most races in FL are early in the morning to avoid the worst heat, but longer races push into noon/afternoon heat.
2019-03-26 3:15 PM

User image

Finally bit the bullet and took a saw to my stuck seat post.

A little over engineered? They don't make them like they used to...

Several hours of sawing later...

I cheated a little, "modified" a sawsall blade to fit down the hole in the post. I cut about 3/4 with the sawsall & the rest by hand. It still took forever.

Finally I got a chunk out, & the rest came with some persuasion. I managed only one small cut into the top of the seat tube.

I used a round file to scrape most of the rust out of the seat tube, then sprayed with WD-40.

With the new post installed. Nothing fancy just an aluminum post.

Edited by riles32807 2019-03-26 3:19 PM

2019-03-26 3:42 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by riles32807 John, 80* is nice around here! Just wait till were hitting 101* with 98% humidity! Do your main training in the cooler hours, but don't avoid the heat. Try to get out in it for 20-30 min as often as you can. Do some easy walking, running or biking if you can, & stay hydrated. Getting outside now will let you build your tolerance as the weather gets hotter. Most races in FL are early in the morning to avoid the worst heat, but longer races push into noon/afternoon heat.

This I remember from last summer, HM training in August and September.  Thanks for the tips!  I had been avoiding the worst days and just trying to acclimate in the early mornings.  You know, when it's 80 and 100% humidity :D

on the seatpost!!!  Glad it's out and you saved the frame.  Just to double check - you greased the aluminum seatpost before putting it in the steel frame right?  Just to avoid the same situation all over again down the road, only with aluminum galvanized to the steel instead of steel rusted to steel...  

Edited by firebert 2019-03-26 3:42 PM
2019-03-26 5:09 PM

User image

Originally posted by firebert

on the seatpost!!!  Glad it's out and you saved the frame.  Just to double check - you greased the aluminum seatpost before putting it in the steel frame right?  Just to avoid the same situation all over again down the road, only with aluminum galvanized to the steel instead of steel rusted to steel...  

Yes. The old seat post was a machined block of aluminum rather than modern extruded. Thank God it was aluminum! I think I would have given up cutting through that much steel.

I had greased the old seat post (don't remember how long ago) but the bike was stored outside for several years. I'm contemplating using some anti seize from the auto parts store.
2019-03-27 10:57 AM

User image

Shakopee, Minnesota

This I remember from last summer, HM training in August and September.  Thanks for the tips!  I had been avoiding the worst days and just trying to acclimate in the early mornings.  You know, when it's 80 and 100% humidity

I read an article once that said to prepare for the heat, take a hot bath. Once in a while after a run IN the heat, then quickly move to a hot bath to further acclimate to high temperatures. That's the basics, you may want to google it for details.
2019-03-28 2:35 PM
in reply to: rpaulson7

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Got a swim in this morning. Think it only ended up being about 1400 yds, but we were doing really fast 50s on 4 minutes. A few people are racing next weekend so they wanted to do them off the blocks, but our usual lifeguard wasn't there and we weren't trying to cause any issues.

Electricians are in my house today, so hopefully everything is back to normal by tonight! That will be one big stress off my shoulders at least.
2019-03-28 6:00 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Hi Guys,

Just checking in with an update on my struggles,

I had my cardiologist appointment on Wednesday, and we did a treadmill stress test. Which according to the Doc went very well. I had no issues doing the test, my heart activity looked good/normal on the monitors and apparently I took a longer than expected time to get up to the heart rate they were looking for. I also had 'excellent' recovery back to resting heart rate after the test. So again, everything they are able to test looks good.

Unfortunately, after the test I got another tight feeling in the chest. So the Doc is sending me off for a CT scan next week for a closer look. And until we get the results of that, I'm still on an exercise ban.

Doc said that he was going to clear me and send me on my way before I mentioned my chest was a little tight, so it is quite frustrating to be still on a ban when all the testing says there are no issues. But I understand that sometimes stuff can me missed my a test, and the consequences could be very severe. Hopefully after the CT things will become clearer.

I do have to laugh tho, I'm sure most patients a cardiologist sees gets told 'go and do some cardio, it's good for your heart' and here I am, desperately wanting to go for a run, being told it's best not to for now... super frustrating.

2019-03-29 7:05 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Hey Andrew, glad the test went well. Hopefully you get that CT soon and get cleared to workout b/c all is well!

Went to boot camp this morning for my strength training for the week. Definitely a tough class.

Thought my electricity would be fixed last night, but turns out we need to wait for our electric company to come and inspect it. So frustrating. I am very ready for the weekend. Hoping to play lots and lots of volleyball tomorrow, as it's supposed to be about 70 here.
2019-03-29 8:55 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Andrew - sorry to hear you still can't exercise!!  Dr (and you) are right though this isn't something to mess around with.  Keep us posted.  We'll keep exercising for you

Nicole - so if I'm reading this correctly, you haven't had electricity for like a week?  WTF!?  That's worse than any hurricane, bomb cyclone, or nor'easter I've been through where the longest I think I've gone without power was 3 days.  Props for still getting everything done!

2019-03-29 9:08 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Updates from me.  First, I love the new shoes (361 Meraki 2).  They're lighter and more responsive (and also, brand new and not 350 miles old) than my old shoes.  Still keeping my old ones for long runs as the cushioning is better.  

Second, I 'rediscovered' the triathlon running shoes (Asics Hyper Tri) I got on clearance a couple years back and only raced in once, in what turned out to be a trail/dirt 5k run leg of the last sprint tri I did in 2017. While they are not good on dirt and rocks, they are fantastic on pavement.  Light as a feather, these will be awesome 5k/10k/speedwork shoes.

Third - venturing out for my longest ride ever tomorrow morning.  Charity ride for a local Downs Syndrome charity, in honor of my nephew.  I chose the 'metric century' option, which for this ride is only 58 miles instead of the full 62.  Either way it's longer than my previous longest 40 miles, by the end of which my neck and shoulders were screaming.

So, long ride types - any tips?  I'm going to raise my handlebars back up to the highest position, which admittedly on an aero race bike isn't all that high.  I might even have enough cable slack to flip the stem.  I'll use chamois buttr and my best bibshorts, and pack plenty of snacks and additional drink mix for when I get a refill at water stops.  There are food/water stops on the route, so even in a snack emergency I should be good.  Roads in FL are smooth compared with what I'm used to in New England so I'm not terribly worried about potholes.  Even still I'll have my full roadside repair kit with me, and there's support vehicles out on the ride.  I'll make sure my tires are inflated before I head out.  Oiling the chain tonight to give it a chance to settle in.  

What else should I be thinking of?

2019-03-29 9:22 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Man that's frustrating, knowing something is wrong, but not knowing what.
2019-03-30 9:34 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Nicole - so if I'm reading this correctly, you haven't had electricity for like a week?  WTF!?  That's worse than any hurricane, bomb cyclone, or nor'easter I've been through where the longest I think I've gone without power was 3 days.  Props for still getting everything done!

I've had electricity, but it was super wonky, and some things just stopped working. My oven wasn't working, and the lights would flicker constantly. Apparently the wire that controls the power going into the house wasn't working, so the power was surging constantly. Basically the only appliance I could use was my fridge, but I was worried it was going to break from the fluctuations.

I now have normal functioning electricity, but they need to come back with the city inspector, and finish the job. This has not been fun.

2019-03-30 9:40 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Went to masters this morning. We did a lot of block work. Excited for an afternoon of volleyball, b/c it's beautiful outside! Hope everyone has an amazing weekend
2019-03-30 10:42 AM

User image

Master
brummie land

Third - venturing out for my longest ride ever tomorrow morning.  Charity ride for a local Downs Syndrome charity, in honor of my nephew.  I chose the 'metric century' option, which for this ride is only 58 miles instead of the full 62.  Either way it's longer than my previous longest 40 miles, by the end of which my neck and shoulders were screaming.

Awesome! I support a Downs charity here in the UK as my ma used to teach adults with learning disabilities and my friend's nephew has trisomy 21 also.You get any piccies of your nephew? My favourite story of one of my mom's students was: he was in the hospital at the same time as my dad and in the bed next to him. During the night he stole my dad's hot cross bun! He didn't eat it but just loved the shiny foil it was wrapped in! 

I am much more slowly than you building up my longer rides but it sounds like lost of arm and neck loosening exercises on the way round might help!

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2019-03-30 12:16 PM
in reply to: #5253131

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Went to the dr yesterday and got the all clear to resume training at normal paces (minus swimming). Promptly came home and fell asleep for four hours. Ha!

1:06 on the trainer today doing a group ride on Zwift. I didn’t enjoy it at all. The pace was supposed to be 1.5-2w/kg. I averaged 2.1 and finished 5’ behind lead. Something tells me the ride wasn’t as advertised!! Plus—I don’t give two sh!ts about group riding. I can hold my paces just as well if you tell me to ride x Watts for y minutes. And I wouldn’t be annoyed at the group ride not being as promised.

**side note**. I’m on prednisone to gel reduce swelling, so all rants above could be entirely related to grumpiness caused by that drug.
2019-03-31 10:48 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hi, everyone.  Yesterday swam about 1K, went to spin class and did some strength training, and then about died in Bikram Yoga this morning.  I was 106 degrees in the room (normally around 100).  I'm a mess now. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open Rss Feed  

of 48

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Gals Masters Mentor Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by k9car363
Views: 8036 Posts: 105

2019-12-26 4:19 AM k9car363

sdalcher Beginning Tri Group - Open

Started by sdalcher
Views: 965 Posts: 4

2018-04-04 7:28 PM leatherneckpa