BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 383

2009-04-23 8:20 AM
in reply to: #2071255

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN Mentor Group-Closed! TIME TO TRAIN!

Trevor: I looked into some teams/groups down here and found they were priced about the same and decided against joining one. I thought the cost was too high for what I was getting out of it. I will hire a coach on a  short term basis to help me develop in specific areas. I find that I am training pretty evenly across the three disciplines and don't have a specific weakness (or is that a strength) in any one of them.

thanks for the input everyone on the training. Sounds like pretty solid advice.

2009-04-23 8:30 AM
in reply to: #2104785

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
LOL, sniped through Jeremy's friends page and sent out FB invites...
2009-04-23 8:42 AM
in reply to: #2104807

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

I was looking at my training log and notices that I have swum almost as I did all of last year already and in 8 hours less time. Goes to show that you really can get better without realizing how much.

2009-04-23 8:44 AM
in reply to: #2104770

User image

Champion
marietta
Redknight - 2009-04-23 8:14 AM

Jeepguy2358 - 2009-04-22 10:56 PM
Redknight - 2009-04-22 2:37 PM

I 'am starting my 20 week HIM training next week. The question I have is that I have planned an OLympic distance in June and would like to get input into how long after the olympic should I wait until I dig back into my training schedule. I think a day or two should be enough rest but as I haven't done an Oly before don't know how much it takes out of you.

Rob, which one are you going with?  I am trying to find a 20 week plan too.  I looked at one on BT, but am trying to look at all options.

I'm using this one

Beginner 1/2 Ironman - 20 Weeks - RPE - (Import) (Complete plan quick-view)

Available for: Bronze members
Looks like a good one and I need the extra recovery time right now that a one short swim day gives me. Of course that could change when I stop doing both hockey and kickboxing the same day. I have a pretty good base so can increase some of the distances when I feel extra good.

I'm currently in week 10 of the BT 1/2 plan.  But I started at week 12 because of overlap with my 1/4 program.
I used trinewbies Intermediate OLY for the 1/4 and was going to use the Intermediate 1/2 but switched to this program.  It's seems more conducive to family life and so far that's accurate.  FWIW I didn't notice too much of a difference in the two plans mileage either.   The one thing I do like about Trinewbies plan though is they have run mileage rather than time.  I would definatley reccomend the Intermediate OLY for those looking for a program.  I've heard good thing about BT as well.

It free too.  http://www.trinewbies.com/tno_trainingprograms.asp

John
2009-04-23 9:49 AM
in reply to: #2104222

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
smoore3 - 2009-04-22 8:34 PM Trevor - What tri team is it that you are looking into?

I'll shoot you a private message.
2009-04-23 10:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
Hi all!

First of all congrats to everyone that raced this past weekend.  This week has been crazy at work until today.  I haven't even had time to log my workouts until now.  I though everyone might enjoy somebody to laugh at on a Thursday morning so let me share my story of my bike ride on Saturday.  It was a beautiful day, and I decided to head out for a long bike ride.  I haven't ridden much lately, since being sick.  I admit, some of the big hills were kicking my but!  I was headed up a particularly steep hill, and decided that it would be a good time to stop for a minute and take a break.  (Yes, I can normally make it up this hill, but not today!)  Anyway, I unclip my left foot (This is important later!) and come to a stop.  As I get ready to put my foot down, I hear a loud crashing sound coming from the woods on my right  (This will also be important later).   So of course, I look to my right.  Such a bad choice!  Of course, as I look to the right, I lean to the right.  Yep, you guessed it.  I start to slowly fall to my right.  It seemed like such a slow motion experience.  As I was falling, so many things went through my head.  This is my first fall.  What will it feel like?  Is anyone watching?  Where is the ground?  Will it hurt?  The ground seems so far away.  Don't put out your arm!  THUMP!  Oh, there is the ground.  Now is when the crashing sound from the woods becomes important.  As I am laying there, tangled up in, and still attached to my bike, I discover what the sound was.  Turkeys!!  Running out of the woods and not happy to see me!!  Have you ever been attacked by turkeys?  Let's just say that having two turkeys flapping their wings and yelling in your face is not fun.  So now I am laying on the ground, still attached to my bike, and fighting off two turkeys.  After flailing my arms for a while, they ran across the road.  Of course, somehow in the process, I end up with my bike pointed straight up in the air with the back tire on the ground, and, yes, my foot still attached to the pedal.  I unclip, and look around quickly to see if anyone is looking.  Luckily, no!!  So, I brush myself off and check myself out.  Sore hip.  Few scratches on my arm - not much blood.  (Once again, this will be important later.)  I calmed down for a few minutes, and headed off to finish my ride.  A few miles later, my arm way hurting and I brushed my hand over it.  I felt what I thought was dried blood or a little piece of gravel, but it hurt.  So, I stopped again and checked out my arm.  I felt a tiny little bump.  I picked it off with my fingernail and of course, looked at it.  Nope, not just dried blood or gravel.  It was a little bug that was coated in blood.  Yep, it started to move.  I flicked it off my finger and decided that was a good time to end my bike ride and head home!!  I am fine now.  I have a bruise on my hip and a big one on the inside of my knee where my bike must have hit it when I landed.  But I survived my first fall and find it rather amusing now!! 
Happy training everyone!

Karen

2009-04-23 10:36 AM
in reply to: #2105288

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
gadgetlaw - 2009-04-23 11:32 AM Hi all!

First of all congrats to everyone that raced this past weekend.  This week has been crazy at work until today.  I haven't even had time to log my workouts until now.  I though everyone might enjoy somebody to laugh at on a Thursday morning so let me share my story of my bike ride on Saturday.  It was a beautiful day, and I decided to head out for a long bike ride.  I haven't ridden much lately, since being sick.  I admit, some of the big hills were kicking my but!  I was headed up a particularly steep hill, and decided that it would be a good time to stop for a minute and take a break.  (Yes, I can normally make it up this hill, but not today!)  Anyway, I unclip my left foot (This is important later!) and come to a stop.  As I get ready to put my foot down, I hear a loud crashing sound coming from the woods on my right  (This will also be important later).   So of course, I look to my right.  Such a bad choice!  Of course, as I look to the right, I lean to the right.  Yep, you guessed it.  I start to slowly fall to my right.  It seemed like such a slow motion experience.  As I was falling, so many things went through my head.  This is my first fall.  What will it feel like?  Is anyone watching?  Where is the ground?  Will it hurt?  The ground seems so far away.  Don't put out your arm!  THUMP!  Oh, there is the ground.  Now is when the crashing sound from the woods becomes important.  As I am laying there, tangled up in, and still attached to my bike, I discover what the sound was.  Turkeys!!  Running out of the woods and not happy to see me!!  Have you ever been attacked by turkeys?  Let's just say that having two turkeys flapping their wings and yelling in your face is not fun.  So now I am laying on the ground, still attached to my bike, and fighting off two turkeys.  After flailing my arms for a while, they ran across the road.  Of course, somehow in the process, I end up with my bike pointed straight up in the air with the back tire on the ground, and, yes, my foot still attached to the pedal.  I unclip, and look around quickly to see if anyone is looking.  Luckily, no!!  So, I brush myself off and check myself out.  Sore hip.  Few scratches on my arm - not much blood.  (Once again, this will be important later.)  I calmed down for a few minutes, and headed off to finish my ride.  A few miles later, my arm way hurting and I brushed my hand over it.  I felt what I thought was dried blood or a little piece of gravel, but it hurt.  So, I stopped again and checked out my arm.  I felt a tiny little bump.  I picked it off with my fingernail and of course, looked at it.  Nope, not just dried blood or gravel.  It was a little bug that was coated in blood.  Yep, it started to move.  I flicked it off my finger and decided that was a good time to end my bike ride and head home!!  I am fine now.  I have a bruise on my hip and a big one on the inside of my knee where my bike must have hit it when I landed.  But I survived my first fall and find it rather amusing now!! 
Happy training everyone!

Karen

LOL Karen, good to hear you are ok, those eventful rides always make for great stories.

2009-04-23 10:50 AM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

Thanks for the story Karen. Made for a good chuckle on a slow Thursday morning. It sounded like something I will end up doing for my first fall excpet for the turkeys. No wild ones up here.  Glad to hear that there was no serious damage.

2009-04-23 11:00 AM

User image

Champion
marietta
Too funny Karen!  Glad you are ok.
2009-04-23 11:11 AM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
gadgetlaw - 2009-04-23 9:32 AM Hi all!

Happy training everyone!

Karen

ummm....(thinking of something to say) Karen I am speechless for once!!
Glad you're okay...Hope you're okay with me sharing a story with my friends  like this. " I have this girl in my Tri-group who fell off her bike and was attacked by wild turkeys!"
2009-04-23 11:14 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Karen--great story and I am really glad that you are ok.  I thought you were going to say a bear came out of the woods so I am kinda happy to hear it was two turkeys.  I think they are vegetrians!  Isn't odd that the first thing we think of is if anyone is around to witness the event?  I do the same thing everytime.  Rest up.

Suzy

PS Just got the link to my race photos if you are interested.  For once, they are not all totally hideous.  I always buy one, not sure which one yet.

http://www.marathonfoto.com/index.cfm?RaceOID=12902009S1&LastName=SHAIN&BibNumber=18516&Mailing=22644

Edited by SSMinnow 2009-04-23 11:23 AM

2009-04-23 11:51 AM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Oh my goodness Karen I am laughing so sticking hard! This is far too funny!  I am glad you are ok!  This so funny.
2009-04-23 12:02 PM

User image

Expert
B'ham

Karen, that is an awesome story - way better than my fell over clipped-in story.  And my only encounter with Wild Turkey was in college and didn't result in a funny story - just a hangover.

2009-04-23 12:04 PM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Suzy I dig this one!!  Ending in 073.  It just shows all business at Boston!  I like it a lot!  They all look great (except the one that is not you)... However just like any big named race...Pictures are $$$$
2009-04-23 12:23 PM
in reply to: #2105619

User image

Expert
B'ham

I have a friend (it's true - just ask Facebook ) that posted a comment about going carb free for 7 days, starting yesterday, in preparation for an Oly on 5/3.  I asked him about it and here is his response:

Basically what you are trying to do during the first 7 days is deplete all the glycogen (energy) that is stored in your muscles.  Then you over load all those stores with fresh glycogen.  The purpose is to have more than enough fresh, good glycogen stored in your body so that by race day, you are good to go and you won't "hit a wall" so to speak during the race.

I have heard of Carb loading, but never depleting glycogen first.  And that only gives 3 or 4 days of carb consumption prior to the race to restore balance.  Does this seem right? Anyone ever heard or tried this approach? 

2009-04-23 1:02 PM

User image

Regular
Seymour, IN

Karen, awesome story.  There's not much better than encountering wild animals - at least I always enjoy it.  Admittedly, though, I've never been in a fight with a wild animal.  Fortunately the turkeys must have kept their spurs put away.

Trevor, you were speechless and yet you managed 45 words!

2009-04-23 1:55 PM
in reply to: #2105450

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
SSMinnow - 2009-04-23 10:14 AM Karen--great story and I am really glad that you are ok.  I thought you were going to say a bear came out of the woods so I am kinda happy to hear it was two turkeys.  I think they are vegetrians!  Isn't odd that the first thing we think of is if anyone is around to witness the event?  I do the same thing everytime.  Rest up.

Suzy

PS Just got the link to my race photos if you are interested.  For once, they are not all totally hideous.  I always buy one, not sure which one yet.

http://www.marathonfoto.com/index.cfm?RaceOID=12902009S1&LastName=SHAIN&BibNumber=18516&Mailing=22644

Suzy you look totally different than I thought!!!  Looking at your avatar I thought you were a completely different person. I looked at your pics. I like the finishing one wrapped in the blanket.
2009-04-23 1:58 PM
in reply to: #2105794

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
BigReub - 2009-04-23 12:02 PM

Karen, awesome story.  There's not much better than encountering wild animals - at least I always enjoy it.  Admittedly, though, I've never been in a fight with a wild animal.  Fortunately the turkeys must have kept their spurs put away.

Trevor, you were speechless and yet you managed 45 words!

46 if you count "ummmm..."
2009-04-23 2:11 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Karen - great story!  We have wild turkeys that live near my house and I've had one walk out in front of my car one time (he's lucky he didn't end up as dinner), but haven't had them chase me yet. 

Well I took my bike over to the LBS at lunchtime (and just to give you another chuckle, when I put my bike rack on the back of my car, I put it on upside down Embarassed - makes it hard to attach a bike to it).  The guys over there are really nice and I don't know why I hesitated to take my bike in, but he looked at it for a few minutes, told me it didn't look like anything was broken or bent and all it probably needed was an adjustment (seems like someone here told me that too Smile).  I left it there for them to work on this afternoon (I had to get back to work) and he just called to say that it would be ready for me after work today.  He's going to adjust both the front and rear derailleurs - said the front was loose - and replace the cables because they're kind of rusted.  So I should be good to go for next weekend. 
Janet

2009-04-23 2:37 PM
in reply to: #2105678

User image

Champion
cadmus - 2009-04-23 12:23 PM

I have a friend (it's true - just ask Facebook ) that posted a comment about going carb free for 7 days, starting yesterday, in preparation for an Oly on 5/3.  I asked him about it and here is his response:

Basically what you are trying to do during the first 7 days is deplete all the glycogen (energy) that is stored in your muscles.  Then you over load all those stores with fresh glycogen.  The purpose is to have more than enough fresh, good glycogen stored in your body so that by race day, you are good to go and you won't "hit a wall" so to speak during the race.

I have heard of Carb loading, but never depleting glycogen first.  And that only gives 3 or 4 days of carb consumption prior to the race to restore balance.  Does this seem right? Anyone ever heard or tried this approach? 

Yes, I have heard of it and it is a relatively old theory.  It has been not proven to be any better than carb loading three days before an event. Sometimes I think the whole theory of carbo loading is overrated.  You see people stuff mass quantities of crap in them (all carbs) and they feel bloated before the gun goes off.  

I think this article does a great job of highlighting the appropriate way to load.  Lots of complex carbs and fruits versus loads of bars, bagels, pretzels, et al.

Just my two cents.

Suzy  

2009-04-23 2:39 PM
in reply to: #2105934

User image

Champion
TrevorC - 2009-04-23 1:55 PM
SSMinnow - 2009-04-23 10:14 AM Karen--great story and I am really glad that you are ok.  I thought you were going to say a bear came out of the woods so I am kinda happy to hear it was two turkeys.  I think they are vegetrians!  Isn't odd that the first thing we think of is if anyone is around to witness the event?  I do the same thing everytime.  Rest up.

Suzy

Suzy you look totally different than I thought!!!  Looking at your avatar I thought you were a completely different person. I looked at your pics. I like the finishing one wrapped in the blanket.

Oh, you mean we were supposed to use a picture of ourselves in our avatar?  Who knew?  Seriously, I am not sure how to take that comment? you thought I was tall and I am not? you thought I was thin, but now you think I am fat? you thought I was 20? and now you realize I am 45 (46 on Saturday)?  My tender ego is trembling.

2009-04-23 3:03 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco

Karen, that is a great story, love the visual of the bike pointing upside down and you still clipped in!  Thank you for sharing

Suzy, I like the one ending in 073 also, you look so focused!    I also wonder what Trevor thought you looked like...

My goodness, does he think I look anything like my rhodesian ridgeback???  Yes, I do have that quizzical look much of the time

2009-04-23 3:05 PM
in reply to: #2106118

User image

Champion
kt65 - 2009-04-23 3:03 PM

Karen, that is a great story, love the visual of the bike pointing upside down and you still clipped in!  Thank you for sharing

Suzy, I like the one ending in 073 also, you look so focused!    I also wonder what Trevor thought you looked like...

My goodness, does he think I look anything like my rhodesian ridgeback???  Yes, I do have that quizzical look much of the time

Falling Off Chair LaughingOk, this is the first out loud laugh I have had all day!

2009-04-23 3:10 PM
in reply to: #2106121

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
SSMinnow - 2009-04-23 2:05 PM
kt65 - 2009-04-23 3:03 PM

Falling Off Chair LaughingOk, this is the first out loud laugh I have had all day!

Ladies, settle down now.  No offense was even meant. If you must kknow(Cry) I actually thought Suzy was asian thats all.
And Kim you made me google "rhodesian ridgeback" 
2009-04-23 4:58 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco

Trevor you are so funny!  But I'm the Asian one, not Suzy!

Well, not that there could only be one asian one...okay, i'd better stop now...

Edited by kt65 2009-04-23 4:59 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  

of 383