BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun Mentor Group II- CLOSED FOR BUSINESS!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 81

2010-10-21 2:40 PM
in reply to: #3164843

User image

Master
Maryland
Subject: RE: swbkrun Mentor Group II- CLOSED FOR BUSINESS!!!
Have fun Suzy, I will get a RR up once the weekend arrives!

Linda

2010-10-21 3:42 PM
in reply to: #3165499

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
cadmus - 2010-10-21 1:35 PM
dalessit - 2010-10-21 12:13 PM
TrevorC - 2010-10-21 3:10 PM
cadmus - 2010-10-21 1:07 PM
TrevorC - 2010-10-21 12:04 PM
cadmus - 2010-10-21 12:23 PM
dalessit - 2010-10-21 10:06 AM Plan for today:

Cross Practice at 7:00am
Ride to work from cross 8:30 - 9:00am
Work...
Run home 4:00pm
Drive back by later tonight and pick up my bike and bike stuff.

LOL, they aerated the field we use for practice so all those little plugs were on the ground.  While we weren't leaving imprints in the ground (don't want to damage the field) the plugs just all turned to mud so I rode the :30 to work flinging mud at everyone else on the trail.  Walked through work up to my office covered in mud to pick up my suit, then to the gym for a shower.

Got quite a few interesting looks since I had mud all over my clothes and face.

Have to come back tonight and pick up the mudball that is my bike.

Life would be awesome if we had a shower, not to mention a gym, in our building.  My office is close to some nice running routes and is an easy commute by bike, but the lack of shower puts a damper on all of that.

hey, Seahwaks #36??? who is that? Not current Lawyer Milloy right?

It's #38 - Perrenial Back-up Mack Strong.  He'll never not be a Seahawk.

fixed.

And yes Milloy will always be a Patriot.

HA, as far as I know he was always a starting Fullback, that doesn't make you a backup running back, just the guy that ends up blocking for the running back.

Yeah, do they not have fullbacks in the CFL?  Is that still around?  Is Doug Flutie still the best QB in the league?

Flutie and Garcia are both playing still here!!! HA. Actually they both played in Calgary.

The year Alexander sat out or was injured or whatever that was,wasn't Strong the feature back? 
2010-10-21 5:18 PM
in reply to: #3164693

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
fattyfatfat - 2010-10-21 7:51 AM
velcromom - 2010-10-21 10:40 AM Who do the Begals play for?  Cool
  I was thinking it was a breakfast food.

the 2-3 bengals play for cincy.  the 1-5 49ers play for sf.  oh, and since you're from fresno, you should be aware of this... the 2-4 raiders play for oakland.

but the 49ers will win their division.  ha.

umm....I've been there, but nobody is FROM there.

I am a FAN.  Giants, Niners, Sharks.  No matter how well or poorly they are playing.  Some years are just easier than others!  Married to a Raider fan, most of his years lately have been difficult!
2010-10-21 5:20 PM
in reply to: #3138641

User image

Master
20 miler, done. Stretch/roller, done. Ice bath, done.  Massage scheduled for tomorrow morning.  Bring on the GIANTS!!
2010-10-21 5:32 PM
in reply to: #3165806

User image

Master
Maryland
velcromom - 2010-10-21 6:20 PM 20 miler, done. Stretch/roller, done. Ice bath, done.  Massage scheduled for tomorrow morning.  Bring on the GIANTS!!

Massage part sounds great!

2010-10-21 5:35 PM

User image

Master
Maryland
Ok, found out last night that I have strep throat. Got the test on Mon. since I was sick before the Baltimore Marathon, 48 hrs. Dr.'s office calls to say I have it. I can't believe I ran a marathon with strep. If I had known, I'd not have raced! I am very fortunate.

Linda

2010-10-21 5:49 PM

User image

Master
Maryland
At my tri club mtg. last night, minimalist runner, MD, and medical professor Dr. Mark Cucuzzella talked about barefoot and minimal shoe running.  Here is his  store's website with lots of info. on the topic. http://www.trtreads.org/Home_Page_Dev.html Click on barefoot education.

This was a very intersting presentation and demonstration.  He has a lot of scientific data to back up this trend. He is former Navy and works with the military men and women who fail the fitness tests and tries to help them become more efficient runners.

He mentioned that people should strengthen their feet at home and at work (if possible) by remaining barefoot. He was wearing a pair of EVO's that looked just like someting men would wear at work but feel like bare feet.  These minimalist shoes allow more proprioperception, which allows your feet to feel and respond to the gound. (like balance training on a Bisou with shoes) Strengthening the feet will allow the transition to Newtons or another minimalist shoe to be easier.
2010-10-21 7:13 PM
in reply to: #3165855

User image

Master
Terps421 - 2010-10-21 3:49 PM At my tri club mtg. last night, minimalist runner, MD, and medical professor Dr. Mark Cucuzzella talked about barefoot and minimal shoe running.  Here is his  store's website with lots of info. on the topic. http://www.trtreads.org/Home_Page_Dev.html Click on barefoot education.

This was a very intersting presentation and demonstration.  He has a lot of scientific data to back up this trend. He is former Navy and works with the military men and women who fail the fitness tests and tries to help them become more efficient runners.

He mentioned that people should strengthen their feet at home and at work (if possible) by remaining barefoot. He was wearing a pair of EVO's that looked just like someting men would wear at work but feel like bare feet.  These minimalist shoes allow more proprioperception, which allows your feet to feel and respond to the gound. (like balance training on a Bisou with shoes) Strengthening the feet will allow the transition to Newtons or another minimalist shoe to be easier.

Very cool, Linda! So are you going to change your shoes?

We are a shoes off-at-the-door family, so spend lots of time in socks and slippers. But man, after cooking dinner and cleaning up the kitchen, if I'm not wearing at least my slippers, my feet are KILLING me. I don't think it's muscles so much, as just being on hardwood floors barefoot. But maybe it is muscles? I certainly spend lots of time in minimalist sheepskin slippers!!

I can't help but think that Yoga helps strengthen the feet as well. When doing any sort of balance poses, my feet are VERY active. Heck, even doing lunges, the front foot remains very active (and I'm constantly tipping over when we stand up in our lunges at Yoga).

I'm in no hurry to go minimalist as I have the "if it ain't broke" philosophy. But reading Born to Run certainly makes one wonder. I'm just too chicken to try anything too drastic!!
2010-10-21 7:51 PM
in reply to: #3165836

User image

Master
Terps421 - 2010-10-21 3:35 PM Ok, found out last night that I have strep throat. Got the test on Mon. since I was sick before the Baltimore Marathon, 48 hrs. Dr.'s office calls to say I have it. I can't believe I ran a marathon with strep. If I had known, I'd not have raced! I am very fortunate.

Linda

Okay,. I get the being responsible and not running a public race with strep, and I appreciate it as a fellow runner and a mom - but dang, I'm really impressed. Can you imagine what you could have done HEALTHY?!?
2010-10-21 7:54 PM
in reply to: #3165855

User image

Master
Terps421 - 2010-10-21 3:49 PM At my tri club mtg. last night, minimalist runner, MD, and medical professor Dr. Mark Cucuzzella talked about barefoot and minimal shoe running.  Here is his  store's website with lots of info. on the topic. http://www.trtreads.org/Home_Page_Dev.html Click on barefoot education.

I know my medical stuff make it a bit different, but my doc says she doesn't want me barefoot, even just hanging out.  And I LOVE being barefoot.  Says my joints need support.  I'm reading all of this stuff, and on one level it makes sense......but like Kyla, by feet hurt after a day of household stuff, and we're carpet/hardwood combo.
2010-10-21 8:25 PM
in reply to: #3165836

User image

Champion
marietta
Terps421 - 2010-10-21 6:35 PM Ok, found out last night that I have strep throat. Got the test on Mon. since I was sick before the Baltimore Marathon, 48 hrs. Dr.'s office calls to say I have it. I can't believe I ran a marathon with strep. If I had known, I'd not have raced! I am very fortunate.

Linda

ha! 

2010-10-21 8:35 PM
in reply to: #3165800

User image

Champion
marietta
velcromom - 2010-10-21 6:18 PM

the 2-3 bengals play for cincy.  the 1-5 49ers play for sf.  oh, and since you're from fresno, you should be aware of this... the 2-4 raiders play for oakland.

I am a FAN.  Giants, Niners, Sharks.  No matter how well or poorly they are playing.  Some years are just easier than others!  Married to a Raider fan, most of his years lately have been difficult!

not only did i miss the BEGALS, for some odd moment this morning it seems i thought you were in a different city.  great.  oh, did you catch my edit one the niners record to?  a messy post all around. 

Edited by fattyfatfat 2010-10-21 8:36 PM
2010-10-21 8:36 PM
in reply to: #3165996

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.
velcromom - 2010-10-21 8:54 PM

I know my medical stuff make it a bit different, but my doc says she doesn't want me barefoot, even just hanging out.  And I LOVE being barefoot.  Says my joints need support.  I'm reading all of this stuff, and on one level it makes sense......but like Kyla, my feet hurt after a day of household stuff, and we're carpet/hardwood combo.

This....could very likely be the cause of This.

I find that the more I keep my shoes off in the house and around the house the stronger the feet are on the roads and trails.

Certainly agree with the support argument/recommendation for young children, old people and those with VERY flat feet but otherwise letting the feet get stronger by using them has REALLY worked for me and several of my running buddies....both male and female.

Come on GIANTS....let's get after it.....just sayn'

2010-10-21 8:36 PM
in reply to: #3166040

User image

Master
fattyfatfat - 2010-10-21 6:35 PM

not only did i miss the BEGALS, for some odd moment this morning it seems i thought you were in a different city.  great.

heh.  California is California, right?  Not raining here, though!
2010-10-21 8:38 PM
in reply to: #3165996

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
velcromom - 2010-10-21 7:54 PM

I know my medical stuff make it a bit different, but my doc says she doesn't want me barefoot, even just hanging out.  And I LOVE being barefoot.  Says my joints need support.  I'm reading all of this stuff, and on one level it makes sense......but like Kyla, by feet hurt after a day of household stuff, and we're carpet/hardwood combo.

Appreciate the info!  I think like everything what works for someone might not work for another person. We've grown up in shoes so to assume we can suddenly walk around without them might not be reasonable, especially with some of the issues he raised.  With a 1.2cm leg length discrepancy, I'm not a candidate for it.   Still not 100% sold on the Newtons, but it's only been three weeks of slowly breaking them in.
2010-10-21 8:39 PM
in reply to: #3166044

User image

Champion
marietta
velcromom - 2010-10-21 9:36 PM
fattyfatfat - 2010-10-21 6:35 PM

not only did i miss the BEGALS, for some odd moment this morning it seems i thought you were in a different city.  great.

heh.  California is California, right?  Not raining here, though!

right!

2010-10-22 3:11 AM
in reply to: #3165954

User image

Master
Maryland
kkcbelle - 2010-10-21 8:13 PM

We are a shoes off-at-the-door family, so spend lots of time in socks and slippers. But man, after cooking dinner and cleaning up the kitchen, if I'm not wearing at least my slippers, my feet are KILLING me. I don't think it's muscles so much, as just being on hardwood floors barefoot. But maybe it is muscles? I certainly spend lots of time in minimalist sheepskin slippers!!

I can't help but think that Yoga helps strengthen the feet as well. When doing any sort of balance poses, my feet are VERY active. Heck, even doing lunges, the front foot remains very active (and I'm constantly tipping over when we stand up in our lunges at Yoga).

I'm in no hurry to go minimalist as I have the "if it ain't broke" philosophy. But reading Born to Run certainly makes one wonder. I'm just too chicken to try anything too drastic!!

Kyla, I agree with you and Linda I am in NO hurry to switch. I feel I need support and cushion after 40 yrs. of having it. IT makes sense but at this point in my own life I think I need the extra support.IF it ain't broke don't fix it!! But I  am open to trying new things: )

Linda
2010-10-22 7:52 AM

User image

Champion
marietta
kkcbelle - 2010-10-21 8:13 PMBut reading Born to Run certainly makes one wonder.

wonder what?  how many people got hurt after reading it? 

or how many tarahumara are running around NORTH america now?  lol!

2010-10-22 8:00 AM
in reply to: #3166238

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Terps421 - 2010-10-22 2:11 AM

Kyla, I agree with you and Linda I am in NO hurry to switch. I feel I need support and cushion after 40 yrs. of having it. IT makes sense but at this point in my own life I think I need the extra support.IF it ain't broke don't fix it!! But I  am open to trying new things: )

Linda

Like running a 3:38 marathon with strep throat??

FWIW, i couldn't imagine running minimalistic. Big boy needs support. And I'm a huge heel striker.

Edited by TrevorC 2010-10-22 8:00 AM
2010-10-22 8:07 AM
in reply to: #3166417

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
TrevorC - 2010-10-22 9:00 AM
Terps421 - 2010-10-22 2:11 AM

Linda

Like running a 3:38 marathon with strep throat??

FWIW, i couldn't imagine running minimalistic. Big boy needs support. And I'm a huge heel striker.

I don't think that using racing flats is the same as minimalist is it?  Most flats seem to provide some sort of support/cushioning, they're just a ton lighter and don't provide as much padding as "trainers"

Minimalist is using vibrams and similar types isn't it?
2010-10-22 8:41 AM

User image

Master
Maryland
Tony, Mark Cucuzzella compared the Newtons to racing flats. The minimalist shoes have less differential between the heel and forefoot padding than the minimal shoes. What racing flats do you like?

Linda

2010-10-22 8:42 AM
in reply to: #3166399

User image

Master
Maryland
fattyfatfat - 2010-10-22 8:52 AM
kkcbelle - 2010-10-21 8:13 PMBut reading Born to Run certainly makes one wonder.

If it ain't broke don't fix it : )
2010-10-22 8:47 AM
in reply to: #3166526

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Terps421 - 2010-10-22 9:41 AM Tony, Mark Cucuzzella compared the Newtons to racing flats. The minimalist shoes have less differential between the heel and forefoot padding than the minimal shoes. What racing flats do you like?

Linda

The ones I use are the Saucony A4's from what I have seen they have the least amount of drop from heel to toe, but there is still some padding between my feet and the ground.
2010-10-22 8:48 AM
in reply to: #3166529

User image

Champion
marietta
Terps421 - 2010-10-22 9:42 AM

right!  and btw, your doctor friend there is air force.  NOT navy.
2010-10-22 9:01 AM
in reply to: #3166550

User image

Master
Maryland
fattyfatfat - 2010-10-22 9:48 AM
Terps421 - 2010-10-22 9:42 AM

right!  and btw, your doctor friend there is air force.  NOT navy.

Thanks John, I need an editor to keep me straight: )
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun Mentor Group II- CLOSED FOR BUSINESS!!! Rss Feed  

of 81