BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Beginner Banquet -Sorry all tables are full no room.. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 61

2011-05-28 5:47 PM
in reply to: #3434952

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Beginner Banquet -Sorry all tables are full no room..

Hrm... quiet.  Snowing again today so I did my 60 mile bike and 3 mile brick run indoors.  I ended up raising my seat about a quarter inch.  I think my seat height was putting too much stress on the outside of my calves and hopefully now is more equally ballanced.  Tomorrows run to church should be fun, 12 miles in snow and rain mix. 

Who has an adventure?

2011-05-28 10:34 PM

User image

Colorado

No adventure here, but we did go hiking today.  It wasn't much--about 3 miles with my 6yo setting the pace and me carrying J in the Ergo, but it was pretty.

The more exciting news is that I went to the doctor's on Friday and they agreed that yes, all the coughing is asthma-related.  I left with a prescription for six days of steroids to open things up in my lungs (apparently I even sounded wheezy--who knew?) and an inhaler.  It's definitely helping.  I hadn't realized that I couldn't take a deep breath without coughing and apparently haven't in several days. 

I'm still not sure I'll be at full power at the start line on Monday, but at least I'm no longer coughing incessantly.  Plus, this is an issue I've been dealing with for eight years now.  Every time I have a cold or my allergies flare up, I end up with coughing fits.  It's soooo nice to have an answer and a solution.

Tomorrow I'm just going to take it easy and keep my fingers crossed that I feel awesome and am back to full lung capacity for Monday's Bolder Boulder. 

2011-05-29 4:06 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Sorry to hear about your lungs, happy to hear that you may have a fix.  I have some family in Longmont near Bolder.  We visit there sometimes.  I take it you are close by.  Also D3 coaching is centered in the Boulder area.  You won't gain any fitness between now and Monday so take it easy, walk jog, some whatever will make you feel good for today, but keep it easy.  Luck on your race.

Currently it is hailing out.  Yes snow lastnight, today and now hail.  I guess I won't be cutting the grass today.  I did get in a 14 mile run before the worst of it hit though so I am happy about that.  The foot allowed me to finish the workout so that is cool.  Not 100 percent, but I'll take functional.  Over the past month I have gone from only walk to 4 min walk 1 min run to 2 min jog 3 min walk, 3 min run 2 min walk, 4 min jog 2 min walk and today was 1 mile run 3:00 walk.  Next week I am going to see how slow jog does me for the shorter runs.  I am 6 weeks post hamstring pull and 8 weeks would be ideal, but the IM is only 9 weeks out so... we see how things go. 

By the way I have too many posts on this page, we need to send out some sheepdogs and round up our strays again.  Inspire folks at will, need to keep motivation UP!

Edited by Baowolf 2011-05-29 4:08 PM
2011-05-29 6:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Memphis

Back from vacation.  Disney World with 2 kids, 4 and 5, is more stressful and a test of endurance than any training you can do.

Planning on riding the bike tomorrow morning.  Not sure how far yet, probably 20-30 miles.  Did get one run in while I was away.

2011-05-30 4:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Hillsborough, NJ
Back from camping.  Got to swim in the lake with the kids.  My water temp fears were totally unfounded - the water was perfect.  The lack of visibility was a huge shock to me - I knew that it would be that way, but I guess it was much different in practice than I had imagined.  How do you practice for that? Close your eyes underwater and only open them to sight?  I really have no idea how far I swam, but I didn't do any long lengths continuously as I was limited to swimming in the designated swim area (square roped off on the lake) and the kids wanted to just play around.  We did bike for a while - but the pace and distance were set by the 9 year old who we just realized has pretty much outgrown his bike.  I decided to just relax and enjoy the vacation and not get caught up in my training numbers.  The heat and humidity were intense - started the morning yesterday with a mile walk with my husband and it was like walking in a sauna.
2011-05-30 7:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Tacoma, Washington
I hope you all had a good Memorial Day weekend and thanks to all those that serve and have served.

It is getting pretty quiet in here.  I just went on a 28 mile ride that was almost completely crushed limestone on a multi-purpose trail.  Does anyone know if I ride a signifigant amount on crushed limestone will that have a negative affect on my tire life?  Anyways since the path wasn't paved my speed fell by quite a bit but I suppose that is alright with my first tri being 5 days away!!

How is everyone's training going?

Marcus

2011-05-30 11:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Welcome back from vacations and camping and any other things you found to do for Memorial weekend. I had a relaxing weekend and that was nice. The weather here has been hit an miss between rain and sun, but really perfect temps for getting out any time of the day. My training was rough yesterday. I think I might actually be taking in too few calories. I remember Steve once saying beginners often eat more than they need so I have trying not to do that, but yesterday was really hard for me and I felt exhausted. So I am gonna focus on eating more and see if that makes a difference. Is there a recommended daily calorie intake for training? Marcus, and all the rest of you riding miles, I am inspired and slightly jealous. I sure have a long way to go before I can start covering that kind of distance. Excellent job! But my numbers are going up slowly each week and that is encouraging. I run a 10k this weekend and I would like to be at a place where I can jog the entire thing, but it may just be best to do jog/walk. This week I am increasing my jog/walk to 4/1. I think this is a good goal. Anyway, I hope as is well. It has been really quiet in here.
2011-05-31 7:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC

Hello all.  Sorry it has been a while since I posted. I am doing P90X with my son and not really doing my normal swim bike run.  I feel like a total slacker not running or biking.  I have a tri coming up in a couple of weeks and a 200 mile bike ride this weekend.  I am sure the bike ride will be at a very casual pace so i am not stressing it too much. 

I have decided during my down period to really work in swimming.  I am pushing really hard to be able to swim (better) by the end of the season this year.  Still waiting for that magic click that everyone keeps telling me about. 

2011-05-31 8:39 AM

User image

Expert

I'm back and checking in.  We had been down a man here at work so my workload had been high.  New hire is being brought up to speed and I am slowly getting my feet back under me.  Hopefully I can catch up on this thread and see how the group is doing.

Temps and weather here in Louisville has been all over the board.  Typically been highs in the 70's with Friday in the 50's.  Head out for long ride on Sunday and high spikes to 95!  Not prepared at all with only 1 bottle and plan to refill at halfway point.  Plan was for 60 but I cut the last 10 miles off when my thigh started to cramp after the endless hills on this ride.  Tucked tail and headed home. 

Very foolish and I am obssesive about hydration.  I dropped just over 6 pounds on this ride consuming 40oz of fluid during.  *I weigh before and after every workout noting Avg HR, Temp and RPE.  I am a very heavy sweater and typically lose about 10oz of fluid at 80 degrees every 20 minutes.  Add roughly 1-2oz for each 5 degrees above.  1 20 oz bottle with 1 planned refill was not going to cut it for a 3 hour ride.  Not including I was doing mostly hills.  Stupid, stupid, stupid.  Lesson learned.

A Cliff bar and some fluids had me feeling better after a while.  Took a much deserved rest and eventual nap poolside to finish out the day.

2011-05-31 9:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Daytona Beach

GLad we have a few coming back and checking in.  Busy time of yer for all obviously.

Ceril-I totally get the not being able to see in OWS and the frustration involved.  I got some goggles with a 180* view just for that, but they just allow me to see-nothing in 180* view. lol

Ken-I had to take a double take and re read your blog, did you say a 200 MILE bike ride? You are amazing!

Samantha-hope your 10K went well.  A friend once told me she doesn't like 10K because with 5K you get walkers as well as in 13.1.  But in 10 K she says you don't get the walkers, just serious runners, she feel intimidated.  I've not done one in over 20 years, did you find the same as my friend said?

I am finally back on track with training, my log looks sad the past two weeks.  Son is going back to gymnastics tonight, so long bike ride for me. Yeah- Meant to do a 10 mile run Sunday, got out too late, at 10:30am it was up to 91*.  I had to call my hubby to come get me after 5.71 miles. Thank goodness I always run with my phone.  (The wine tasting party the night before probably didn't help! But I'll just blame the heat.) -Karen

2011-05-31 10:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC
Karen - it's not that impressive 100 on Saturday and 100 back on Sunday. It should be fun.

2011-05-31 11:39 AM
in reply to: #3525493

User image

Veteran
Daytona Beach
kmatt318 - 2011-05-31 11:38 PM Karen - it's not that impressive 100 on Saturday and 100 back on Sunday. It should be fun.
Give yourself more credit! That is like saying doing the Disney Goofey isn't that impressive, only 13 one day 26 the other! Doing 100 back to back is very impressive to me! -Karen
2011-05-31 11:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC
Thank you. 
2011-05-31 12:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Hi Karen- the 10k is on June 4, so I haven't done it yet. Hopefully it won't have the feel your friend described. If so it might be a tough go. However, the race is marketed for disabled vets and anyone can do it, whether in a wheelchair or whatever. So maybe it won't be as competitive. I will let y'all know how it goes. Today I will be running and biking.
2011-05-31 12:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Daytona Beach
Hey guys.  I am looking for a transition bag to use before my next tri.  Any suggestions? -Karen
2011-05-31 2:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Tacoma, Washington

You would be suprised about those disabled vets!  They can move it! :D

I have just come to the realization that taking 7 credits in a month long period is a bad idea... June should be a fun month of craming in random sessions of training.  At least my olympic isn't until the end of August!  Back to back centurys is pretty impressive.  I hope you have a good saddle!  As for today it will be my final ows before my tri and the winds are looking to be about 25mph so it should make for an exciting experience even though it is lake swimming there are some pretty big waves hitting shore.  I hope you all had a good memorial break and are starting June off right!

Marcus

2011-05-31 4:29 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Hi there and greetings from Aruba! Finally broke down and bought a little Internet time. Sounds like some good training going on! Way to go. Been running some here and the heat and humidity make it...uhhh...challenging. But the beach across the street is PERFECT for practicing OW swimming so I'm taking advantage of it. There are even buoys For a long stretch.Hope everyone has a good wk. Would comment more, but this iPad has me typing challenged as well.
2011-05-31 11:28 PM
in reply to: #3526198

User image

Sacramento, CA

Yeah!!! End of May!!!  Had a good month...each week slowly building.  10 more days till my A-Race!  Silicon Valley Olympic Tri!  Then off to Europe for 3 weeks!  Whoop!

May's totals:
Bike:9h 18m  - 143 Mi
Run:6h 45m 42s  - 32.4 Mi
Swim:3h 28m  - 3200 Yd
Strength:13h 50m

Anyone else want to post totals?

2011-06-01 12:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Tacoma, Washington

Honestly I was a little disappointed in my May totals but June is going to be brutal for school so this will be my best until July probably

May's totals:
Bike:11h 47m 15s  - 181.33 Mi
Run:5h 44m 36s  - 36.65 Mi
Swim:5h 23m  - 13100 Yd
Strength:1h 45m

I will work on getting my running up quite a bit more and then some swimming also.  I am relatively happy with where my cycling is for now.

Where are you going in Europe if you don't mind me asking?  I am jealous as I have spent too much time in one place as it is!

Marcus

2011-06-01 1:09 AM
in reply to: #3526813

User image

Sacramento, CA

Hey Marcus,

Thanks for asking...Italy - Florence, Venice, France - Riviera, Paris, London, Amsterdam = Fun!!!!

I love to travel and can't wait.  We are celebrating my hubbies 40th!

Great totals! Every hour is a success.

Cheri

2011-06-01 7:41 AM
in reply to: #3526774

User image

Extreme Veteran
Memphis
May's totals:
Bike:15h 32m 02s  - 207.16 Mi
Run:8h 47m 37s  - 52.02 Mi
Swim:4h 55m 41s  - 10830.42 Yd

I thought my totals would be higher but considering a week of vacation and a half week of rest what did I expect. These totals include race miles also.

June's going to start out slow but build fast. My goal is for 20+ hours on the bike and 12+ of running.

Edited by dhwebb 2011-06-01 7:43 AM

2011-06-01 10:48 AM
in reply to: #3526198

User image

Veteran
Daytona Beach
squirt - 2011-06-01 5:29 AM Hi there and greetings from Aruba! Finally broke down and bought a little Internet time. Sounds like some good training going on! Way to go. Been running some here and the heat and humidity make it...uhhh...challenging. But the beach across the street is PERFECT for practicing OW swimming so I'm taking advantage of it. There are even buoys For a long stretch.Hope everyone has a good wk. Would comment more, but this iPad has me typing challenged as well.
I am so jealous, not because of your location, but because you can do an OWS in the ocean now! (How tri crazy is that? Although I would like to be an Aruba now.) I still can't get in the ocean.  My daughter went surfing yesterday and came back with three bad spots of jelly fish stings.  So swim girl! Enjoy!
2011-06-01 1:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Tacoma, Washington

I hope you are having fun in Aruba and stay away from those jellies!!

Swam into 25 mph winds yesterday which was a pretty awesome experience.  I don't think I would have had as much fun if I didn't have my wetsuit on but I thought it was a good learning experience with breathing and a bit of body surfing :P  Time wise it took us double the time to swim into the waves versus going back with the wind...

Off to school and hopefully a I will get a few miles in running tonight!

Marcus

2011-06-02 6:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Tacoma, Washington

Over a day without a post!  This is madness guys and gals, we are almost second page material!

Did a nice slow 18 mile ride today with probably a few more hills than I should have done but fun was had never the less.  I also got my tri top today so I will use it for the first time during the race... oops.  My packet pick up for my first tri is on Saturday and I am getting really psyched, also Chris Legh will be there signing autographs and talking so that should be a hoot.

Come on everyone, what are you up too?!

Marcus

2011-06-02 7:09 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Ouch on the jellyfish! Sure hope they move on soon. The ocean swimming was great, though I will be sort of glad to be tasting chlorine instead of salt when we get home. No exercise today other than a snorkel sail Marcus, is your tri this sunday or is packet pickup just early? Ok my excuse for not posting is costly internet time and inability to type on this infernal ipad. Need to hear how everyone's training is going.Question: what is your ultimate or underlying goal in triathlon?I think for me it has to do with staying motivated to live a healthy lifestyle by setting goals that are a little scary.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Beginner Banquet -Sorry all tables are full no room.. Rss Feed  

of 61