General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Full Vineman Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2013-07-03 12:06 PM
in reply to: TriGuyBri

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Full Vineman Triathlon : Official Thread

Quick poll: For those staying after the race for some vacation time, what do you have planned? Looking for a few ideas...

I'm highly interested in wine tastings, which I think I'll have no problems locating and doing. But what else are you planning? Massage? Kayaking? Tours? Nothing?

My family is going to do some San Fran stuff (Alcatraz tour and what not) but I've done a lot of stuff there before. Is there anything unique to Santa Rosa/Russian River Valley that I should look into?

2013-07-03 1:27 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Replying to myself here, but in my research I found this gem which I am HIGHLY interested in!

Pedal & Paddle Tour - $170 per person

This tour is offered in northern Sonoma County in one of our favorite cycling areas - Alexander Valley. We will share with you one of our favorite routes as we spend the morning riding 7 miles and visiting two to three wineries. Our gourmet picnic lunch is served in the picnic area at De Lorimier Winery. After lunch, we go to a special launch spot where we float down the warm and gentle Russian River. We will have fun navigating among the Class 1 rapids while enjoying the warm sunshine. 
Tour Time: 10:30 am to 4:00 pm
Tours are available weekly, but call for exact dates.
Included in Tour: Hybrid bike and helmet rental, kayak and Personal Flotation Device rental, unlimited water, Wine Country gourmet lunch and professional local guides.
Please Note: This tour requires a minimum of 4 guests.
http://travel.sonomacounty.com/2138_attraction-tickets_a560.html

They also had just “pedal” and just “paddle” tours but I thought this would be fun – only 7 miles of biking, nice recovery ride. 

2013-07-03 6:13 PM

User image

Veteran
7 miles? Sounds like too much work ; ) Check out the hot springs at Calistoga... a nice soak and a massage seems like a plan to me!
2013-07-03 11:19 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

I'm staying "2" days afterwards. I have no idea what to expect the next day, so I have nothing what-so-ever planned. This is a first for me. My first HIM I felt like 100% after 5 hours sleep but I'm think this will be a whole new story. I'm heading out the 2nd day, so that day will be a complete wash of traveling and layovers.

I'm interested in some vacation-ish things if I'm feeling well though. I don't know if I'll be up for biking though. I think my butt will be sore enough as-is O> I'm all for going to a spa or massage place, lol. I've never been to one and I think being pampered for once after this would be nice.

Hopefully everyone is keeping at it! I ALMOST skipped today but I got myself off the couch and did my workout!....minus ~15 minutes on bike. Just 4 more days of hell and then hell * .75 will finally start!

Edited by Blastman 2013-07-03 11:23 PM
2013-07-04 11:06 AM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

Expert
Salem
FYI - The Vineman Full Race Program is now available on Vineman Full Site.

Happy 4th of July!

2013-07-04 5:34 PM

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
Happy 4th everyone! No rest and relaxation after the race for me. We plan on waking up Sunday morning and heading home. I felt like you after my 1/2. 100% and ready to play. I'm not thinking that will be the case here.

2013-07-04 8:07 PM
in reply to: akrenik

User image

Expert
Salem
I have to leave right after as well. No hurry we have two days to get back to Oregon.
2013-07-05 11:52 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Does anyone know if there is a practice swim in the day(s) before the race? Didn't see anything in the athlete guide or online so probably not?
2013-07-05 2:43 PM

User image

Veteran
I think it's a do it yourself type of thing since the beach is open to the public. I don't remember there being an official practice swim like some of the IM events. Just go early or you'll be dodging people once the crowds show up... then again, that may be good practice!

http://johnsonsbeach.com/
2013-07-05 3:45 PM
in reply to: booth22

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
Was it on this thread that someone posted a pic of their transition stuff in ziplock bags? I am trying to figure out my transition and special needs stuff
2013-07-05 6:18 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
I received twenty Tattos from BT today to pass out. He said to take pictures of us wearing them. Not sure how that will work. I'll send a pic later.

2013-07-05 6:23 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
Originally posted by akrenik

Was it on this thread that someone posted a pic of their transition stuff in ziplock bags? I am trying to figure out my transition and special needs stuff

I don't recall reading anything here regarding transition and ziplock bags. I definitely could be mistaken. I just put together my whole trip itinerary including special needs items, T1 and T2 needs. It is about a 3.5 page document. Yes I am a planner. : )

2013-07-05 6:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Special needs bags are provided, but I'd suggest bringing a large zip lock, or any plastic bag i guess, to put your T2 items in. Running shoes, etc. are put into T2 the day before and sit out on the grassy lawn between the school buildings. On the odd chance of rain overnight, you'll be glad you have them in plastic.
2013-07-05 8:47 PM

User image

What are you guys planning to put in your special needs? I thought about a spare tube and c02 for the bike and maybe some socks for the run but I really doubt I'll need them. I don't see the point in packing food, more so for the run, since the aid stations are all over. I trained with the really basic: gatoraid, water, and gu since I didn't want to get hooked onto something special.

Edited by Blastman 2013-07-05 8:47 PM
2013-07-05 9:27 PM

User image

Veteran
For me, special needs bike will have 1 tube, 1 co2, a bottle with a few scoops of perpetuem powder (in case I drop my main bottle) and thats about it. Maybe a candy bar- if things go to hell, at least I'll have a sweet treat. Run special needs- i think i've put a hat (don't usually wear one, but if it rains it'll keep the rain out of my eyes) and a few spare endurolytes just for kicks. Some people put a long sleeve shirt if they'll be on the course when it gets chilly. And again, maybe a candy bar. Otherwise, not much. I volunteered at IMAZ run special needs- it's amazing how much stuff gets put in those bags!
2013-07-05 11:53 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
Bike - Spare tube and CO2; 3 Tylenol just in case; Frozen Perp Bottle and Frozen Gel bottle; (like my Perp cold); Butt'R packet; Endurolytes and maybe some Peanut Butter Crackers or Honey Waffles.

Run - Extra socks; light jacket; light; Blister covers- Just in case; Tylenol; Endurolytes; Gum (I always run with gum in my mouth); Butt'R packet; Tums - another Just in case.

I'll wrap my Perp Bottle in a wet rag and then Freeze it. Wrap it in newspaper tight. My mom used to wrap my soda for lunch in a newspaper and it would keep it pretty cold.

2013-07-06 12:51 PM

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
Good thought about the tums. Do you think tums or pepto bismo tabs would be better?

THREE WEEKS FROM TODAY RIGHT NOW WE WILL BE RACING!
2013-07-06 5:18 PM

User image

I may be interested a self-made blister kit in for the run.  Good idea. I'm not to worried about that but who knows after being out there for endless hours.  I ran more than a few times where I was making a squishy sound because of sweating so much in 90+ degree temps and high humidity on my long runs.  That's just asking for blisters.

Topic change:

Well long bike is finally done!  I cranked out 120 miles today!  I went over my time by a little but I'm feeling better about the bike now.  I FINALLY did my interval mid week bike workout.  I think that's like #5 out of 27 I did properly...just too hard on trainer and with the 4th off, I was able to take the bike outside and get it done early morning.  I think it helped on today's workout though.  I made the stupid stupid mistake of downing a ton of liquids after my bike ride. I knew better.  I even told myself I should stop but I was just too hot and a little dizzy from everything.  I started my "hour run" and it was nothing but side cramps from drinking too much.  20 minutes into it, I called it a day.  I could have walked it off and tried later but at that point, my legs would be rested and the transition workout would be pointless.  Just a 3 hour run and a 1.5hr spin tomorrow and then the taper!

Hopefully everyone's workouts are going well!

2013-07-06 5:28 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
I finally hit the century mark. 101 miles and average 16.5 which is what I was shooting for. Did about a 42 min. Run off the bike and actually felt great. Better than I have felt in a long time. Felt a lot better about the bike after today's ride. Now time for some PIE.

Do you think they would mind if I stopped off at a McDonalds as we enter the halfway point. Today I stopped at McDonalds to get some water and use the bathroom. Felt bad that I was using and taking for free so I bought a cheese burger off the $1.00 items. Surprisingly it was good. I might have to pack one in my Special Needs Bike.

2013-07-06 5:29 PM

User image

Expert
Salem

Good thought about the tums. Do you think tums or pepto bismo tabs would be better?

I am going with tums.

2013-07-06 5:31 PM

User image

Expert
Salem

I am going with tums.

2013-07-06 5:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Henderson,NV
As far as the special needs bags, I think I read in the program that there is no guarantee on getting the special needs bags back , so don't leave anything too nice in there. Speaking of which, is anyone going to use a headlamp for the run? I'm wondering how desolate and dark some parts will get.
2013-07-06 6:02 PM
in reply to: kenb

User image

Expert
Salem
I am bringing a light but not sure if I'll take my head lamp or not.
2013-07-06 10:14 PM
in reply to: kenb

User image

Veteran
Not sure if things have changed, but in 2011 my wife said it was pitch black in some areas of the run course once the sun went down. She wasn't having the best day out there, and almost running into people in the darkness and dodging cracks in the road wasn't helping. Point being, bring a light if you'll be out there at night. Some courses, IMAZ for example are well lit and you can get buy with just a glow necklace. Again this was 2011, things may have changed.
2013-07-07 9:25 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Love all the updates this weekend!

Me and Linda got in a 100-mile ride + 2-mile brick run yesterday. It rained on us for 8 miles, good practice I suppose. Lots of hills and lots of wind (no surprise there). I think we're ready for anything.

In past races I've done this to organize/pack for my bags:

Bike special needs I have a spare tube and c02, spare Infinite bottle in case I drop my 2nd one, and sunscreen.
Run special needs I have some favorite gel flavors, gum, body glide, salt/vinegar chips, and some inspirational index cards I had my friends/family pre-write for me.  

I am planning on putting a light of some sort in my run special needs. I will be out there after dark Cool

Edited by lisac957 2013-07-07 9:27 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Full Vineman Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 29