BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun Mentor Group II- CLOSED FOR BUSINESS!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 81

2010-10-22 9:32 AM
in reply to: #3165954

User image

Subject: RE: swbkrun Mentor Group II- CLOSED FOR BUSINESS!!!
kkcbelle - 2010-10-21 8:13 PM
Terps421 - 2010-10-21 3:49 PM At my tri club mtg. last night, minimalist runner, MD, and medical professor Dr. Mark Cucuzzella talked about barefoot and minimal shoe running.  Here is his  store's website with lots of info. on the topic. http://www.trtreads.org/Home_Page_Dev.html Click on barefoot education.

This was a very intersting presentation and demonstration.  He has a lot of scientific data to back up this trend. He is former Navy and works with the military men and women who fail the fitness tests and tries to help them become more efficient runners.

He mentioned that people should strengthen their feet at home and at work (if possible) by remaining barefoot. He was wearing a pair of EVO's that looked just like someting men would wear at work but feel like bare feet.  These minimalist shoes allow more proprioperception, which allows your feet to feel and respond to the gound. (like balance training on a Bisou with shoes) Strengthening the feet will allow the transition to Newtons or another minimalist shoe to be easier.

Very cool, Linda! So are you going to change your shoes?

We are a shoes off-at-the-door family, so spend lots of time in socks and slippers. But man, after cooking dinner and cleaning up the kitchen, if I'm not wearing at least my slippers, my feet are KILLING me. I don't think it's muscles so much, as just being on hardwood floors barefoot. But maybe it is muscles? I certainly spend lots of time in minimalist sheepskin slippers!!

I can't help but think that Yoga helps strengthen the feet as well. When doing any sort of balance poses, my feet are VERY active. Heck, even doing lunges, the front foot remains very active (and I'm constantly tipping over when we stand up in our lunges at Yoga).

I'm in no hurry to go minimalist as I have the "if it ain't broke" philosophy. But reading Born to Run certainly makes one wonder. I'm just too chicken to try anything too drastic!!

After a long battle with pf my dr told me no barefoot...and hardwood floors are the worst.
We are also a shoes-off-at-the-door family...except me due to the foot issues.

2010-10-22 9:44 AM
in reply to: #3166430

User image

Champion
marietta
dalessit - 2010-10-22 9:07 AM
TrevorC - 2010-10-22 9:00 AM
Terps421 - 2010-10-22 2:11 AM
Terps421 - 2010-10-21 3:49 PM At my tri club mtg. last night, minimalist runner, MD, and medical professor Dr. Mark Cucuzzella talked about barefoot and minimal shoe running.  Here is his  store's website with lots of info. on the topic. http://www.trtreads.org/Home_Page_Dev.html Click on barefoot education.

This was a very intersting presentation and demonstration.  He has a lot of scientific data to back up this trend. He is former Navy and works with the military men and women who fail the fitness tests and tries to help them become more efficient runners.

He mentioned that people should strengthen their feet at home and at work (if possible) by remaining barefoot. He was wearing a pair of EVO's that looked just like someting men would wear at work but feel like bare feet.  These minimalist shoes allow more proprioperception, which allows your feet to feel and respond to the gound. (like balance training on a Bisou with shoes) Strengthening the feet will allow the transition to Newtons or another minimalist shoe to be easier.

We are a shoes off-at-the-door family, so spend lots of time in socks and slippers. But man, after cooking dinner and cleaning up the kitchen, if I'm not wearing at least my slippers, my feet are KILLING me. I don't think it's muscles so much, as just being on hardwood floors barefoot. But maybe it is muscles? I certainly spend lots of time in minimalist sheepskin slippers!!

I can't help but think that Yoga helps strengthen the feet as well. When doing any sort of balance poses, my feet are VERY active. Heck, even doing lunges, the front foot remains very active (and I'm constantly tipping over when we stand up in our lunges at Yoga).

I'm in no hurry to go minimalist as I have the "if it ain't broke" philosophy. But reading Born to Run certainly makes one wonder. I'm just too chicken to try anything too drastic!!

Kyla, I agree with you and Linda I am in NO hurry to switch. I feel I need support and cushion after 40 yrs. of having it. IT makes sense but at this point in my own life I think I need the extra support.IF it ain't broke don't fix it!! But I  am open to trying new things: )

Linda

Like running a 3:38 marathon with strep throat??

FWIW, i couldn't imagine running minimalistic. Big boy needs support. And I'm a huge heel striker.

I don't think that using racing flats is the same as minimalist is it?  Most flats seem to provide some sort of support/cushioning, they're just a ton lighter and don't provide as much padding as "trainers"

Minimalist is using vibrams and similar types isn't it?

according to many it is. 

here's one from your favorite site.  ;-)   "Racing flats are minimalist shoes..."

brooks blog has the mach 11 listed on this post.

the title in this post on dr. pete's blog suggest otherwise as well.   Saucony Grid Type A4 Racing Flat: Another Minimalist Offering from Saucony

it is an interesting question.  and it seems that the drop is more of a factor than anything below that measured plane, to a certain extent. 

edit... but i'm still in the don't fix it camp.  especially when most can lose a few pounds and gain much more in many different respects.

Edited by fattyfatfat 2010-10-22 9:57 AM
2010-10-22 9:45 AM
in reply to: #3166544

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
dalessit - 2010-10-22 8:47 AM
Terps421 - 2010-10-22 9:41 AM Tony, Mark Cucuzzella compared the Newtons to racing flats. The minimalist shoes have less differential between the heel and forefoot padding than the minimal shoes. What racing flats do you like?

Linda

The ones I use are the Saucony A4's from what I have seen they have the least amount of drop from heel to toe, but there is still some padding between my feet and the ground.

The Newton Guidance Trainers have a great deal of support. I really don't think it is less than my Brooks Adrenaline.  The difference is the protrusion of the lugs to get you to forefoot/midfoot plant and the lower profile heel.  Racing flats to me are like running in paper , even Twin's Kinvara's are too little support for me at this point.  I may never graduate to those type of shoes.  Time will tell. 

Like Linda, my PT and my sports med doc both told me NEVER to walk around barefoot.  Different strokes.

PS. Trev--stop calling yourself a big boy....you're tall Buddy.  The big left when you dropped some major LBS.

PPS. I tried running based on Linda's feedback...actually felt better.  We'll see.

Edited by SSMinnow 2010-10-22 9:48 AM
2010-10-22 9:54 AM
in reply to: #3138641

User image

Expert
San Antonio, TX

If anyone decides to try BF running PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE take your time easing into it and not try and run 2-3 miles BF right out of the gate.  It really does take a long time to transition your feet into this.  It's a stress fracture waiting to happen if you go too fast.

2010-10-22 9:56 AM
in reply to: #3166780

User image

Champion
marietta
tri-chic - 2010-10-22 10:54 AM

If anyone decides to try BF running PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE take your time easing into it and not try and run 2-3 miles BF right out of the gate.  It really does take a long time to transition your feet into this.  It's a stress fracture waiting to happen if you go too fast.

i was wondering when you were gonna show up in this discussion.    :-)

2010-10-22 9:56 AM
in reply to: #3166758

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
fattyfatfat - 2010-10-22 7:44 AM

Kyla, I agree with you and Linda I am in NO hurry to switch. I feel I need support and cushion after 40 yrs. of having it. IT makes sense but at this point in my own life I think I need the extra support.IF it ain't broke don't fix it!! But I  am open to trying new things: )

Linda

FWIW, i couldn't imagine running minimalistic. Big boy needs support. And I'm a huge heel striker.

I don't think that using racing flats is the same as minimalist is it?  Most flats seem to provide some sort of support/cushioning, they're just a ton lighter and don't provide as much padding as "trainers"

according to many it is. 

here's one from your favorite site.  ;-)   "Racing flats are minimalist shoes..."

the title in this post on dr. pete's blog suggest otherwise as well.   Saucony Grid Type A4 Racing Flat: Another Minimalist Offering from Saucony

it is an interesting question.  and it seems that the drop is more of a factor than anything below that measured plane, to a certain extent. 

edit... but i'm still in the don't fix it camp.  especially when most can lose a few pounds and gain a much more in many different respects.

Who you callin' FAT?!?!

2010-10-22 9:57 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
YOU KNOW THE LAKE IS COLD WHEN THE GIRLS CAN CUT GLASS THROUGH THE WETSUIT!!!  Just a little insite into my OWS last night, though I'd share.  Smile
2010-10-22 10:00 AM
in reply to: #3166788

User image

Champion
marietta
velcromom - 2010-10-22 10:56 AM

Linda

according to many it is. 

edit... but i'm still in the don't fix it camp.  especially when most can lose a few pounds and gain a much more in many different respects.

Who you callin' FAT?!?!

its up to you to determine if you're most people.

everyone here but suzy.  ha!  she's way overweight!!!

Edited by fattyfatfat 2010-10-22 10:01 AM
2010-10-22 10:01 AM
in reply to: #3166792

User image

Champion
marietta
tahrens - 2010-10-22 10:57 AM YOU KNOW THE LAKE IS COLD WHEN THE GIRLS CAN CUT GLASS THROUGH THE WETSUIT!!!  Just a little insite into my OWS last night, though I'd share.  Smile

oh come on.   PICS!
2010-10-22 10:38 AM

User image

Expert
B'ham
tahrens - 2010-10-22 7:57 AM YOU KNOW THE LAKE IS COLD WHEN THE GIRLS CAN CUT GLASS THROUGH THE WETSUIT!!!  Just a little insite into my OWS last night, though I'd share.  Smile

Are you in need of wetsuit repair advice?  

2010-10-22 10:42 AM
in reply to: #3166811

User image

Champion
fattyfatfat - 2010-10-22 10:00 AM
velcromom - 2010-10-22 10:56 AM

Linda

according to many it is. 

Who you callin' FAT?!?!

its up to you to determine if you're most people.

everyone here but suzy.  ha!  she's way overweight!!!

Two taper weeks and then 5 weeks of recovery and I'm spilling out of my clothes....

2010-10-22 10:59 AM

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
tahrens - 2010-10-22 9:57 AM YOU KNOW THE LAKE IS COLD WHEN THE GIRLS CAN CUT GLASS THROUGH THE WETSUIT!!!  Just a little insite into my OWS last night, though I'd share.  Smile

Bump to the bottom of the thread...for more smart A$$ comments.
2010-10-22 11:19 AM
in reply to: #3166993

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Plainsman AU - 2010-10-22 9:59 AM
tahrens - 2010-10-22 9:57 AM YOU KNOW THE LAKE IS COLD WHEN THE GIRLS CAN CUT GLASS THROUGH THE WETSUIT!!!  Just a little insite into my OWS last night, though I'd share.  Smile

Tracy, please take a moment and describe your situation a little more detailed if you can.
We are here to help, but must fully understand the issue at hand.
2010-10-22 2:03 PM
in reply to: #3167048

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
TrevorC - 2010-10-22 12:19 PM

Tracy, please take a moment and describe your situation a little more detailed if you can.

waiting.....
2010-10-22 2:27 PM
in reply to: #3167480

User image

Elite
san francisco
dalessit - 2010-10-22 12:03 PM

waiting.....

Oh, those "girls" 

is it wrong that i spent over 10 minutes thinking about what Tracy was talking about?
ever see those t-shirts that say

"boys are stupid, throw rocks at them"

oh, sorry, i digress.  love you!!!! 
2010-10-22 2:30 PM
in reply to: #3167547

User image

Master
kt65 - 2010-10-22 12:27 PM
dalessit - 2010-10-22 12:03 PM

waiting.....

Oh, those "girls" 

is it wrong that i spent over 10 minutes thinking about what Tracy was talking about?
ever see those t-shirts that say

"boys are stupid, throw rocks at them"

oh, sorry, i digress.  love you!!!! 

Yeah, those of us without girls, had to read that a time or two, ha ha!!

2010-10-22 3:51 PM

User image

I didn't get it either
2010-10-22 6:19 PM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

Sorry for the confusion ladies, thought I would give the boys something juvenile to joke about for the Friday banter.  Too bad I missed the discussion, I was actually being a good girl at work today.  Linda, Doug, you guys should join me sometime. 

2010-10-22 6:23 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada

Oh ladies....Can't wait for vegas Kim. come prepared with 'questions'. we'll do our best to help you figure them out.

2010-10-22 6:25 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
So I went a saw a PT today after work. He told me my issue is essentially the meniscus brtween my tibia and fibula is 'disrupted.' so RICE and we'll see how the weekend run goes. If it starts off bad, call it a day. Doesn't think it something that will get too bad, but no point taking chances 6 weeks before the race.
2010-10-22 7:02 PM
in reply to: #3167949

User image

Elite
Raleigh
tahrens - 2010-10-22 7:19 PM

Sorry for the confusion ladies, thought I would give the boys something juvenile to joke about for the Friday banter.  Too bad I missed the discussion, I was actually being a good girl at work today.  Linda, Doug, you guys should join me sometime. 

Join you in what? Being good at work? swimming?

Speaking of PT, Tracy or Linda do you have a good recommendation? I want to have my left achillies looked at.

Doug

2010-10-22 7:11 PM
in reply to: #3167957

User image

Elite
san francisco
TrevorC - 2010-10-22 4:25 PM So I went a saw a PT today after work. He told me my issue is essentially the meniscus brtween my tibia and fibula is 'disrupted.' so RICE and we'll see how the weekend run goes. If it starts off bad, call it a day. Doesn't think it something that will get too bad, but no point taking chances 6 weeks before the race.

Wait, what happened, I thought you were just a little sore?   How long has this been going on?   
Take care...
2010-10-22 7:24 PM
in reply to: #3167986

User image

DougRob - 2010-10-22 8:02 PM
tahrens - 2010-10-22 7:19 PM

Join you in what? Being good at work? swimming?

Speaking of PT, Tracy or Linda do you have a good recommendation? I want to have my left achillies looked at.

Doug

Doug,  I went to Dunn Therapy when they had a branch in the old Impact facility.
I liked that I had a runner working on me.   
2010-10-22 7:39 PM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
Trevor, is this something new, or a recurring issue?
2010-10-22 8:17 PM
in reply to: #3167957

User image

Champion
TrevorC - 2010-10-22 6:25 PM So I went a saw a PT today after work. He told me my issue is essentially the meniscus brtween my tibia and fibula is 'disrupted.' so RICE and we'll see how the weekend run goes. If it starts off bad, call it a day. Doesn't think it something that will get too bad, but no point taking chances 6 weeks before the race.

What exactly does disrupted mean? Never heard of it. Is it the lateral meniscus?  Whenever I hear anything is awry in that area, I am always concerned.  Did he think your new choice of shoes had anything to do with it? 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun Mentor Group II- CLOSED FOR BUSINESS!!! Rss Feed  

of 81