BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun mentor group 6 years running closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 191

2012-04-11 2:51 PM
in reply to: #4144007

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
Subject: RE: swbkrun mentor group 6 years running OPEN
Tobey91 - 2012-04-11 3:49 PM
SSMinnow - 2012-04-11 3:05 PM

SSMinnow - 2012-04-11 5:54 AM While someone is lazing in Hawaii, others are thinking about RACING!!!!  I know of at least two people toeing the line this weekend.  Are there others?  Raise your hands high and tell us about your strategy!!!

Pretty excited to see the number of MG'ers racing!! 

I'll be toeing the line at the Vetfest Half marathon in honor of my WWII father (RIP) again this year. Course is out towards the Baraboo bluffs so crazy hilly, but they have veterans from several of the wars lining up at some of the mile markers to keep us going.

Goal is to beat last year, but will be working on keeping myself just below LT based on RPE.  Totally blind.  I've been told not to go crazy until after I have my stress test next week.  Doctor actually told me to keep my HR under 130bpm.  Really? Apparently no one wants to see me go into cardiac arrest on the course.

130????  Perhaps it is my current level of conditioning, but I get my heart rate higher than that just looking at the picture of the burger and beer pasted a page or two ago.  How can your doctor honestly think you can keep your HR under 130?

x2

2012-04-11 4:01 PM
in reply to: #4144016

User image

Veteran
tdl1972 - 2012-04-11 2:51 PM
Tobey91 - 2012-04-11 3:49 PM

SSMinnow - 2012-04-11 5:54 AM While someone is lazing in Hawaii, others are thinking about RACING!!!!  I know of at least two people toeing the line this weekend.  Are there others?  Raise your hands high and tell us about your strategy!!!

I'll be toeing the line at the Vetfest Half marathon in honor of my WWII father (RIP) again this year. Course is out towards the Baraboo bluffs so crazy hilly, but they have veterans from several of the wars lining up at some of the mile markers to keep us going.

Goal is to beat last year, but will be working on keeping myself just below LT based on RPE.  Totally blind.  I've been told not to go crazy until after I have my stress test next week.  Doctor actually told me to keep my HR under 130bpm.  Really? Apparently no one wants to see me go into cardiac arrest on the course.

130????  Perhaps it is my current level of conditioning, but I get my heart rate higher than that just looking at the picture of the burger and beer pasted a page or two ago.  How can your doctor honestly think you can keep your HR under 130?

x2

X3!!!!

2012-04-11 4:12 PM
in reply to: #4142558

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Utah

I'm not racing this week.  It looks like we have a bunch of racers. Goodluck everyone.

Here a fun video my brother and neice made to answer the guy that asked my neice to prom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-SzSXiiFgE

Tiana

2012-04-11 4:29 PM
in reply to: #4144007

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Tobey91 - 2012-04-11 2:49 PM

He is well meaning, but he's at least 60 years old, not an athlete and fascinated that people would do a 30' run test until they almost black out.  My EKG was normal, but he doesn't think that's enough evidence of a healthy heart so off to the lab I go for the MAX stress test (at least I'll get a true VO2).  He already told me that he MAY not be satisfied even if that comes back normal.  Insert head shake and eye roll here.

For what it's worth, my Z1 HR is 140ish so there is no way I'll be hanging out at 130 and doing a HM.  I agreed not to blow my brains out, but I didn't agree not to blow chow at the finish Wink!

2012-04-11 4:32 PM
in reply to: #4144242

User image

Champion
tritiny - 2012-04-11 4:12 PM

I'm not racing this week.  It looks like we have a bunch of racers. Goodluck everyone.

Here a fun video my brother and neice made to answer the guy that asked my neice to prom.

Tiana

I really like this, but can you explain it a little better?????

2012-04-11 4:59 PM
in reply to: #4123816

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California

BOSTON, Baby!!!

Yup, I'm racing.  After some significant angst - and thanks SO MUCH to the support of this group, online and off, you've saved my tush AGAIN - I think I'm gonna be fine!!

Saw a PT this morning, one that has treated me and all 3 kids in the past, and is also pro MTB racer and multiple BQer.  Not quite sure why I didn't think of this sooner (and thanks, Suzy, for the prod).  She had some great ideas, pushed, shoved, tweaked and hurt me, and I'm thinking, hoping, praying, it helped. Something about the IS joint and everything it connects to.

Assuming I can everything done here (escrow, kid/dog/house instructions, packing, flight changes, car pickups, elder care) or really, even if I DON'T......I'm on a plane (in compression tights, hydrating!) out of San Francisco at 8:15 Friday morning!!!!  Jeff's been gone 3 days already, so looking forward to seeing him, and then having lunch with MIGHTYMOM on Saturday!  Do a little 26 mile jog on Monday, then catch a flight to the Bahamas Monday night!!!  Recovery on the beach, me likey.

Weather looks like it's getting yukky (for running in) with highs approaching 80.  That's got me a bit concerned, but heck - I can't change it.  I'm hoping that Weather.com is experiencing it's usual 25% accuracy and it will really be 60.  We'll see!

LOVE This group.  Even whilst sulking, y'all make me laugh.

2012-04-11 5:26 PM
in reply to: #4144362

Regular
Boston! That's awesome. Good luck, I'm sure that you'll do amazing. I was thinking about going up and watching it this year but never got around to making travel plans. I hear it's a blast to spectate (especially with the college crowd).
2012-04-11 5:31 PM
in reply to: #4144388

User image

Champion

klove13 - 2012-04-11 5:26 PM Boston! That's awesome. Good luck, I'm sure that you'll do amazing. I was thinking about going up and watching it this year but never got around to making travel plans. I hear it's a blast to spectate (especially with the college crowd).

Given you're so young, I would tell you to head to Wesley College.  The first time I heard them, I thought we were having a small earthquake on the course.  The second time I was prepared, but they were still so LOOOOOUD!  Those girls are crazy.

Linda, so happy you are ready to hit it!   Don't fret about the weather. You've already qualified for the BIG dance, now it's about the experience once again.

2012-04-11 6:00 PM
in reply to: #4144395

User image

Expert
metro west, MA
SSMinnow - 2012-04-11 6:31 PM

klove13 - 2012-04-11 5:26 PM Boston! That's awesome. Good luck, I'm sure that you'll do amazing. I was thinking about going up and watching it this year but never got around to making travel plans. I hear it's a blast to spectate (especially with the college crowd).

Given you're so young, I would tell you to head to Wesley College.  The first time I heard them, I thought we were having a small earthquake on the course.  The second time I was prepared, but they were still so LOOOOOUD!  Those girls are crazy.

Linda, so happy you are ready to hit it!   Don't fret about the weather. You've already qualified for the BIG dance, now it's about the experience once again.

You mean Wellesley College? Yes, those girls are crazy! All women's school. That would be THE place for young men like Kevin and Andre to hang around.
2012-04-11 6:03 PM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon

Hey Jeremy! LOVE the pic and really love that your whole family is taking part in the run! AWESOME!!

Kick azz at the 50k, Justin! Can't wait to read the race report!

Suzy-  Play it safe, and have a great time! We don't want you going into cardiac arrest either.

Linda- WOO HOO! So glad to hear the PT helped and you are getting ready for the big dance! Have a great race, and enjoy the day, and the vacation after!!!

To all the other racers- Good luck and have an awesome time!!!

2012-04-11 6:07 PM
in reply to: #4144429

User image

Champion
mighty mom - 2012-04-11 6:00 PM
SSMinnow - 2012-04-11 6:31 PM

You mean Wellesley College? Yes, those girls are crazy! All women's school. That would be THE place for young men like Kevin and Andre to hang around.

That too! Tongue out

2012-04-11 7:59 PM
in reply to: #4144440

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
RoniS - 2012-04-11 7:03 PM

Hey Jeremy! LOVE the pic and really love that your whole family is taking part in the run! AWESOME!!

Kick azz at the 50k, Justin! Can't wait to read the race report!

Suzy-  Play it safe, and have a great time! We don't want you going into cardiac arrest either.

Linda- WOO HOO! So glad to hear the PT helped and you are getting ready for the big dance! Have a great race, and enjoy the day, and the vacation after!!!

To all the other racers- Good luck and have an awesome time!!!

Speaking of race reports ...

2012-04-11 8:29 PM
in reply to: #4144291

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Utah
SSMinnow - 2012-04-11 4:32 PM
tritiny - 2012-04-11 4:12 PM

Tiana

I really like this, but can you explain it a little better?????

My niece moved last summer and started a new school in the fall. This is her senior year so she was a little worried no one would ask her to prom. She was very excited she was asked to prom and it was a creative way. She wanted to answer in a fun way. Her dad (my brother) shot and edited this video to say Yes. A lot of the people in the video are related to me.  My brother says when I do an ironman he'll be there with the cameras to document it. He wants me to do IM Canada sometime so he has an excuse to tag along and take video and pictures.

Tiana

2012-04-11 8:37 PM

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia

Good golly!  I get a few pages down while out on vacation for spring break and I'm all but forgotten on the MG list.  ;-)

Good luck racers!  Lots of big stuff this weekend (and Monday).  Can't wait to read all about it.

2012-04-11 8:38 PM

User image

velcromom - 2012-04-11 5:59 PM

BOSTON, Baby!!!

Yup, I'm racing.  After some significant angst - and thanks SO MUCH to the support of this group, online and off, you've saved my tush AGAIN - I think I'm gonna be fine!!

Saw a PT this morning, one that has treated me and all 3 kids in the past, and is also pro MTB racer and multiple BQer.  Not quite sure why I didn't think of this sooner (and thanks, Suzy, for the prod).  She had some great ideas, pushed, shoved, tweaked and hurt me, and I'm thinking, hoping, praying, it helped. Something about the IS joint and everything it connects to.

Assuming I can everything done here (escrow, kid/dog/house instructions, packing, flight changes, car pickups, elder care) or really, even if I DON'T......I'm on a plane (in compression tights, hydrating!) out of San Francisco at 8:15 Friday morning!!!!  Jeff's been gone 3 days already, so looking forward to seeing him, and then having lunch with MIGHTYMOM on Saturday!  Do a little 26 mile jog on Monday, then catch a flight to the Bahamas Monday night!!!  Recovery on the beach, me likey.

Weather looks like it's getting yukky (for running in) with highs approaching 80.  That's got me a bit concerned, but heck - I can't change it.  I'm hoping that Weather.com is experiencing it's usual 25% accuracy and it will really be 60.  We'll see!

Best news I've heard all day!  So glad things are looking up. 

2012-04-11 8:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Utah
velcromom - 2012-04-11 4:59 PM

BOSTON, Baby!!!

You're going to be great in boston. Can't wait to read the race report.

Tiana

2012-04-11 9:00 PM

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina
velcromom - 2012-04-11 5:59 PM

BOSTON, Baby!!!

Glad to hear that things are packed and ready to go.  Have fun and soak in the experience.  We will be cheering VERY loudly for you!  Make sure to share the tracking information with us.  I need something to do Monday while I corrupt/mold the minds of our future generation.  Wink  Maybe we can review the Boston Massacre and then watch the race? 

2012-04-11 10:27 PM

User image

Master

Again, love this group.  Just had a glass of wine with the mom who's keeping my youngest - went through the daily details.  Need to come up with a big 'Thank You'  when we're back!!

www.baa.org will have tracking open on race day.  Apparently there's also tracking through ATT - text RUNNER to 345678 and they'll walk you through it.  

Linda Nollette - bib # 19099

My wave starts at 10:40 EST.  That's 7:40 for my CA and PNW peeps, and 4:40 for Kyla in Hawaii.  Bet I can guess who won't be getting it live!!!

2012-04-11 10:34 PM
in reply to: #4144866

User image

Master
velcromom - 2012-04-11 8:27 PM

Again, love this group.  Just had a glass of wine with the mom who's keeping my youngest - went through the daily details.  Need to come up with a big 'Thank You'  when we're back!!

www.baa.org will have tracking open on race day.  Apparently there's also tracking through ATT - text RUNNER to 345678 and they'll walk you through it.  

My wave starts at 10:40 EST.  That's 7:40 for my CA and PNW peeps, and 4:40 for Kyla in Hawaii.  Bet I can guess who won't be getting it live!!!

Was up at 4 today, but not likely on Friday! So glad you are in a better place, girlfriend!!! Dida beach run today and bunches of OWS (no fins for snorkeling and did some good swims). Am now drinking captain's and lilikoi on a fabulous linai in wailea after spending the day with two of my fave training gals and fans. Grown-up dinner in a few... Life is good!!!
2012-04-11 10:40 PM
in reply to: #4144876

User image

Master
kkcbelle - 2012-04-11 8:34 PM

Was up at 4 today, but not likely on Friday! So glad you are in a better place, girlfriend!!! Dida beach run today and bunches of OWS (no fins for snorkeling and did some good swims). Am now drinking captain's and lilikoi on a fabulous linai in wailea after spending the day with two of my fave training gals and fans. Grown-up dinner in a few... Life is good!!!

OKAY, miss aloha......  Race is on MONDAY.  Wink

2012-04-11 10:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia

What is up with Wisconsin ?  No wonder Suzy doesn't work.

2012-04-11 11:07 PM
in reply to: #4144883

User image

Master
velcromom - 2012-04-11 8:40 PM

Ok. Still here on Monday, so same song and dance...
2012-04-12 2:43 AM
in reply to: #4144909

User image

Master
kkcbelle - 2012-04-11 9:07 PM
velcromom - 2012-04-11 8:40 PM

Ok. Still here on Monday, so same song and dance...

In a better place - still mind-numbingly stressed and worried - but better!!!  Enjoy the beach time, I'm right behind you!!!

2012-04-12 2:52 AM
in reply to: #4144998

User image

Expert
Noosa
Good luck Linda! I'm always hugely impressed by your running!
2012-04-12 4:48 AM

User image

Expert
Noosa
I just read an interesting thing on an Australian tri website: smear KY jelly - a water based lubricant for sex - on to the pads on your HRM strap to avoid the annoying spikes etc you get at the beginning of a run, worth a try?!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun mentor group 6 years running closed Rss Feed  

of 191