of 190

2013-01-03 7:20 PM
in reply to: #4560575

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia - OPEN
bdesotell - 2013-01-03 4:22 PM

bzgl40 - 2013-01-03 3:54 PM PSA - do not eat spicy brussel sprouts and roast beef before going out to run.  Not even hours before going out. 

Srsly...LOL'ed at this getting ready for this evening's run.

That would be funny if it did not hit so close to home. I did the Augusta HIM the year last at the end of the season, sort of as a fun toss-off kind of race, so I really didn't think about race prep, pre-race meals, pacing, etc - just go to Augusta with friends and have a lot of fun. For dinner the night before the race I ordered yellow spicy curried shrimp and (maybe?) too many beers. Let's just say the next day right before the race I did not think I was going to need chamois paste or an embrocation.... Talk about close calls. Wow....

2013-01-03 7:27 PM
in reply to: #4558313

User image

Danielson Ct
KateTri1 - 2013-01-02 3:19 PM

Sorry to bug you guys with more questions but, browsing  X-Lab items on Amazon for a rear mounted bottle holder. I like the XLAB SUPER WING, Black  and the XLAB Gorilla XT Carbon Cage (Black).

What do you guys think? 

I was given the xlab carbon wing for christmas with two gorilla cages. When I mounted them they were right up against the seat.  I did the on line chat with them and was asked to send a picture so I did. Never heard back.  I called a couple time and nothing. Sent them an email right to tri sports and still no word. Might want to tell them what your putting it on to make sure it works.  I'm going to try and call again tomorrow to what's up with mine. Looks like it should be a sweet set up.

2013-01-03 7:30 PM
in reply to: #4560998

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
heykev - 2013-01-03 8:27 PM

Sorry to bug you guys with more questions but, browsing  X-Lab items on Amazon for a rear mounted bottle holder. I like the XLAB SUPER WING, Black  and the XLAB Gorilla XT Carbon Cage (Black).

What do you guys think? 

I was given the xlab carbon wing for christmas with two gorilla cages. When I mounted them they were right up against the seat.  I did the on line chat with them and was asked to send a picture so I did. Never heard back.  I called a couple time and nothing. Sent them an email right to tri sports and still no word. Might want to tell them what your putting it on to make sure it works.  I'm going to try and call again tomorrow to what's up with mine. Looks like it should be a sweet set up.

Hey Kev - post some pictures up here as well and maybe we can take a look at it? My wife uses the same setup on a Cobb saddle for training in remote areas (she loves it, BTW) and it is very easy to take on and off, but it does sit really close to her saddle as well. Let's see what you have?

2013-01-03 7:33 PM
in reply to: #4560833

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
KateTri1 - 2013-01-03 6:07 PM

dustytrails - 2013-01-03 5:09 
Most of the running groups here are about 80 bucks a month. I am considering starting up a free club that includes the competitve high school runners as well. The kids need to run year round to be competitive with our rivals, and i found out i improve a lot faster running with a group at least once a week.-Linda

That sounds like a great endeavor. :=)

Seriously Linda that is awesome. There will be a special place in tri heaven set aside just for you!

I am the faculty advisor for the tri team at our university and worked pretty hard for a couple of years to organize workouts and training schedules for the team and it has been incredibly rewarding, especially now that it is very well self-sustained. If you do decide to give it a whirl, consistency is key for making something like that work in my experience. stick with it, even if there are days when there seems like there is not a lot of interest. It can take a while.

2013-01-03 7:34 PM
in reply to: #4543084

User image

Danielson Ct
Got in my runs and my swims for the week as well as all my rides.  The roads are pretty much ice free now but, cold. 13 degrees for my run at lunch and the ride after work wasn't much warmer. Summers right around the corner.
2013-01-03 7:41 PM
in reply to: #4559932

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
itsallrelative_Maine - 2013-01-03 12:03 PM

So - I had a bit of an epiphany in the last couple of days...as you all may already know - I have been struggling with a severe lack of mojo (due to a very frustrating HIM last Sept) and had hesitated signing up for any races because I was afraid of getting to that dark place again. On New Year's Eve (I know - how trite), I decided I was going to do the Patriot HIM again this year because I had such a great time last year at the race. I went to the web site knowing that prices go up Jan 1. I clicked on the Register button, selected "Individual" and clicked "Submit"...and it rejected it. What? After looking at the form a little more carefully - the Individual entries were SOLD OUT! Holy Cow! The race isn't until mid June! Good for the RDs...but deflated my brief excitement.

I told my husband about it and he said, "Why don't you try to focus on one type of event instead of a tri?" Hmmm....but I like triathlon. And then I thought about it some more. He has a good point. Maybe I should. So, I thought about it some more. And I came to the conclusion that I would do the following for 2013: Great Bay Half Marathon April 7 (kind of hilly half marathon - this will be the third year in a row I will race), Vermont City Marathon Memorial Day weekend (I've run this as part of a relay team - it's in Burlington, VT and is a total blast...but I'm frightened of the distance which is a good thing), the two local tris (one sprint in July and one Oly in August), a couple of organized centuries on the bike and then see where fall takes me - either the Rev3 HIM in Old Orchard Beach (if they are still accepting entries when I get my courage up) or the Mount Desert Island Marathon in October.

Once I got this figured out - suddenly, everything kind of clicked into place. Now I'm motivated again - partially by fear of the marathon distance, but also because I'm not feeling overwhelmed by the concept of all that training. And a little part of my pea brain is saying, "Perfect - this is great for setting a base for that 2014 IM you've been thinking about."

So - bring on those long runs and long bikes...I've got this.

Jennifer - glad to hear you may have found the ticket to getting your MoJo back. It sounds like a great plan to me as well. This is a very looooong game we are playing. I will bet you will be able to take advantage of your multisport experience and will find the other two disciplines to be a pleasant way to recuperate while you are focused on the third. Who knows? That could prove to be the advantage you have over "pure" athletes!It took me a while, but I have found that having goals beyond my next goal is HUGE in maintaining my long-term motivation - I am always looking through the next thing. Get on it!

2013-01-03 7:50 PM
in reply to: #4560178

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
bdesotell - 2013-01-03 2:04 PM

2013 RACES:  TBD....inspire me! (but only in the southeast

Brian - where are you in the southeast? We have a pretty good group shaping up for Knoxville Rev3. I'll be doing the Olympic distance as I have decided to forego any HIMs prior to IMLP this year. I am in atlanta and should have a host of other races lined up around the region.

2013-01-03 7:57 PM

User image

Seattle

Got back from Whistler reasonably unscathed Smile 

I was able to do some running (no screw shoes, just a lot of finger crossing) and lots of cross country skiing that just about substituted for the training I "missed"

I was welcomed home last night with a track workout. 8 x 400 (fast recovery jog in between) @ 85 seconds per quarter. Pheewwwww! It was a rare workout and it makes me realllllllyyyy appreciate our tempo and flow workouts. 

2013-01-03 7:58 PM
in reply to: #4560828

User image

Seattle
KateTri1 - 2013-01-03 5:04 PM

bzgl40 - 2013-01-03 3:54 PM PSA - do not eat spicy brussel sprouts and roast beef before going out to run.  Not even hours before going out. 

Spicy brussel sprouts? blech. I can promise...  I will never do it. 

I can make no promises! I love all of the above. 

2013-01-03 8:03 PM
in reply to: #4561002

User image

Danielson Ct
TankBoy - 2013-01-03 8:30 PM
heykev - 2013-01-03 8:27 PM

What do you guys think? 

Hey Kev - post some pictures up here as well and maybe we can take a look at it? My wife uses the same setup on a Cobb saddle for training in remote areas (she loves it, BTW) and it is very easy to take on and off, but it does sit really close to her saddle as well. Let's see what you have?

Thanks I will. Probably do it this weekend when I have time to figure it out. Haven't posted any pictures to this site yet.
2013-01-03 9:17 PM
in reply to: #4560956

Master
Northern IL
TankBoy - 2013-01-03 6:40 PM
KateTri1 - 2013-01-02 1:04 PM

So.... long rides.

I've pretty much been in the 20 to 30 mile range but next month I am gonna have to do some that are a lot longer. 

Do you guys do a lot of long rides in groups.. alone?

Have you ever gone crazy on a long ride.. alone?

The 50 mile (which is pretty long to me) distance kind of freaks me out. 

Hi Kate - you have gotten tons of great advice from the group on this one, but one thing that I am a big fan of has not been mentioned: riding (or running) long workouts by time instead of distance. Both time and effort are fixed variables, and but distance in a funny way is wildly variable. Where we ride I have a 40 mile Z2 ride that takes 2 hours, and I have a 37 mile Z2 ride that takes 2.5 hours. They are WAY different rides due to the terrain - one is dead-level flat and the other has about 4200 feet of climbing. Riding by time takes the pressure off of covering a set distance and lends itself to focusing on effort, which for the most part is WAAAY more important than distance covered in training, IMHO.

Yes, I'll do that as well, but for everything. Not just the long ones. If a ride is taking longer than expected I might cut it a little short. Or I'll know to go a touch easier the next couple days because it was bigger than I thought. If you've been following the power metrics discussion, you can see that it's based on duration (Time) and effort (Intensity). Through these workouts you'll develop an idea of how quickly you are able to get through various types of terrain at different intensities (you don't absolutely need power to do that). This way you can control your training efforts more.

2013-01-03 10:35 PM

User image

Jennifer - sounds like a fun schedule.  If I had the option, I would schedule that way as well...focusing on some single sport events then end with tris.  Unfortunately here most of the tris are spring to mid summer.  Not as much races in the fall.
2013-01-04 2:56 AM
in reply to: #4561044

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

FYI, the list of names that Rusty posted wouldn't work for me.  The following seems to be ok.

SBR Utopia: 

Asalzwed Adrienne (Salty) KateTri1 Kate
 axteraa Arend kcarroll Kim
 brigby1 Ben Keaulani Lani
 bzgl40 Kim Kenott Ken
 Catwoman Rene KeriKadi Keri
 cdban66 Chris ligersandtions Nicole
 cordova78 Chris marcag Marc
 crazylife99 Jen mndymond Melissa
 Experior Michael ratherbeswimming Elaine
 GoFaster Neil reecealan Reece
 Goosedog Marshall riorio Sally
 Gsmacleod Shane rymac Ryan
 heykev Kev spudone Mark
 itsallrelative_Maine Jennifer TankBoy Rusty
 k9car363 Scott tri808 Jason
 KansasMom Felicia TriAya YANTI
 bdesotell Brian dustytrails Linda

2013-01-04 6:11 AM
in reply to: #4561348

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

4000 meters in the pool this morning with a main set of 3 x (8x50 on :50, 6x50 on :45, 4x50 on :40) with an extra 60 seconds recover after each time through.   I was in touch and go mode for those 4x50s!

I also have a 40 min run scheduled for lunch - more ninja running with the stupid cold weather.  Things aren't supposed to warm up until early next week (when I am in Vancouver - sigh...).

Hope everyone has a good day.

2013-01-04 6:36 AM
in reply to: #4561399

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
axteraa - 2013-01-03 7:11 AM

I also have a 40 min run scheduled for lunch - more ninja running with the stupid cold weather.  Things aren't supposed to warm up until early next week (when I am in Vancouver - sigh...).

Hope everyone has a good day.

It's a little warmer here - but still pretty cold. The local schools won't let the kids out for recess if it's below 20 degrees F. I figure that's a pretty good limiter for me...so I draw the line there. What is you all's lower limit (looks like Arend's is somewhere south of 0...but he must come from hearty stock)?

Did another session of hot yoga last night...I'm really enjoying it and already (after about a month of twice weekly sessions) noticing that my arms and core are stronger. Now - let's get that to transfer over to better form/faster paces!

Kim - you mentioned that you were following an eating plan (I think you just finished the "whole foods only" part)...do you have any information on that? I would like to be a little more aware of what I'm eating and how exactly it impacts how I feel. Isolating different types of input seems like a great way to do this. Although, spicy brussels sprouts and roast beef sound delicious regardless of the impact on my run.

2013-01-04 6:46 AM
in reply to: #4561415

User image

Payson, AZ
itsallrelative_Maine - 2013-01-04 5:36 AM

Kim - you mentioned that you were following an eating plan (I think you just finished the "whole foods only" part)...do you have any information on that? I would like to be a little more aware of what I'm eating and how exactly it impacts how I feel. Isolating different types of input seems like a great way to do this. Although, spicy brussels sprouts and roast beef sound delicious regardless of the impact on my run.

I am doing a program from Precision Nutrition called Lean Eating.  It's a year long program, which is basically an online nutrition coaching program where they introduce new habits every two weeks as a way of gradually retraining you how to eat.  They focus on adding good habits in to basically crowd out the bad ones and generally do not call anything off limits, no meal plans, no counting calories...  The current habit is eat whole foods only, as in if you want flour make it yourself.  Surprised  They relaxed it the second week though to mostly whole foods.  It's a stretch habit and they knew it.  But anyways, you get daily lessons to teach you about the habit and you end up examining why you do what you do around food/exercise and there is an online group you interact with in a forum.  They do have components where they go through when to eat what type of foods to fuel workouts and recovery foods as well.  They just kind of sneak all that stuff in really

2013-01-04 6:49 AM

User image

Payson, AZ
I am not sure I have found my lower limit on the run.  I whine and complain anywhere south of freezing but I will still go get it done but often I will wait for it to warm up so I can at least wear shorts if my schedule allows.  Although I must admit, if I still had my treadmill odds are I'd be on it more then I care to admit.  My bike limits are much higher though, I'm pretty much a fair weather type girl when it comes to the bike.  I might go out in 60 if I think it will warm up or it is pretty sunny.  I've gone swimming below freezing a lot, which doesn't sound like much until you realize all the pools in Tucson are outdoors.  Water is still 80 but it is pure hell getting out.  I've been known to swim an extra lap or two in avoidance. 
2013-01-04 6:50 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
itsallrelative_Maine - 2013-01-04 8:36 AM 

It's a little warmer here - but still pretty cold. The local schools won't let the kids out for recess if it's below 20 degrees F. I figure that's a pretty good limiter for me...so I draw the line there. What is you all's lower limit (looks like Arend's is somewhere south of 0...but he must come from hearty stock)?

The -15 C with -25 windchill was approaching my limit.  Maybe another 5 degrees would be the cutoff - it depends a lot on the wind.

2013-01-04 6:51 AM

Master
Northern IL
itsallrelative_Maine - 2013-01-04 6:36 AM

I seem to remember going out at school when it was 5-10F, but that was more at 10-14 yrs old. Not sure about the cut-off when younger.

I've been out in -2F and been fine. We get colder, but so far it hasn't matched up with when I was going to run. 7-10F usually happens a number of times though.

2013-01-04 7:05 AM
in reply to: #4561150

User image

Extreme Veteran
brigby1 - 2013-01-03 9:17 PM
TankBoy - 2013-01-03 6:40 PM
KateTri1 - 2013-01-02 1:04 PM

So.... long rides.

I've pretty much been in the 20 to 30 mile range but next month I am gonna have to do some that are a lot longer. 

Do you guys do a lot of long rides in groups.. alone?

Have you ever gone crazy on a long ride.. alone?

The 50 mile (which is pretty long to me) distance kind of freaks me out. 

Hi Kate - you have gotten tons of great advice from the group on this one, but one thing that I am a big fan of has not been mentioned: riding (or running) long workouts by time instead of distance. Both time and effort are fixed variables, and but distance in a funny way is wildly variable. Where we ride I have a 40 mile Z2 ride that takes 2 hours, and I have a 37 mile Z2 ride that takes 2.5 hours. They are WAY different rides due to the terrain - one is dead-level flat and the other has about 4200 feet of climbing. Riding by time takes the pressure off of covering a set distance and lends itself to focusing on effort, which for the most part is WAAAY more important than distance covered in training, IMHO.

Yes, I'll do that as well, but for everything. Not just the long ones. If a ride is taking longer than expected I might cut it a little short. Or I'll know to go a touch easier the next couple days because it was bigger than I thought. If you've been following the power metrics discussion, you can see that it's based on duration (Time) and effort (Intensity). Through these workouts you'll develop an idea of how quickly you are able to get through various types of terrain at different intensities (you don't absolutely need power to do that). This way you can control your training efforts more.

Guys, I completely agree with the idea of using time rather than distance.

Kate is this your first HIM ? If so, do you know how you are going to pace the bike ?

If I am not mistaken this long rides will start about 6-8 weeks before your HIM ? If so, they are the perfect time to practice your pacing. Are you going to pace the race by HR  or just by feel ?

2013-01-04 7:13 AM
in reply to: #4561435

User image

Extreme Veteran
brigby1 - 2013-01-04 6:51 AM
itsallrelative_Maine - 2013-01-04 6:36 AM

I seem to remember going out at school when it was 5-10F, but that was more at 10-14 yrs old. Not sure about the cut-off when younger.

I've been out in -2F and been fine. We get colder, but so far it hasn't matched up with when I was going to run. 7-10F usually happens a number of times though.

It's all a generation thing. Kids today can't deal with 20 degrees

The 30 year olds think their tough because they could handle 5-10

In my days, they would allow is out at any temperature because the school igloos in Canada were held at a constant 0 degree anyways and it was -40 when the sled dog bus would bring us back home. We were tough back then.

This was before electricity.

PS : I did my treadmill run this morning because it was too cold and we have electricity now.

2013-01-04 7:35 AM
in reply to: #4561427

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

bzgl40 - 2013-01-04 7:46 AM 

...and there is an online group you interact with in a forum....

I don't know, that part sounds kinda weird to me...

2013-01-04 7:48 AM
in reply to: #4561433

User image

Pro
NJ
axteraa - 2013-01-04 7:50 AM
itsallrelative_Maine - 2013-01-04 8:36 AM 

The -15 C with -25 windchill was approaching my limit.  Maybe another 5 degrees would be the cutoff - it depends a lot on the wind.

If NJ ever gets that cold, I'm moving. Forget running in it, I don't think I could watch the local forecast. 

Jennifer, I'll go out in the mid- teens to run. Fortunately, that's usually the low around here in the winter.  For the bike I'm on the trainer when it gets in the mid-40's. Wussy, but I'm ok with that. I have some vacation planned in Arizona at the end of the month. I'm really hoping for a warm spell in Tucson. Even a cold spell is probably ok. 

2013-01-04 7:59 AM

User image

Pro
NJ

Just another comment about weather. It's funny how you really do acclimate. I grew up in the south and if there was even a chance of snow, the community shut down. I'm pretty sure they still reference the "big one" of '73. When I moved north it took about about a year, and lots of UPS deliveries from LLBean etc, to adapt. I think some of it is physiological but most of it is mental and having the right gear. 

That said, I'm riding the trainer later today. 

2013-01-04 8:04 AM
in reply to: #4560178

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
bdesotell - 2013-01-03 2:04 PM

2013 RACES:  TBD....inspire me! (but only in the southeast

If you are in the Fl area, I'll throw out Rev3 Venice. It is an HM and is in a beautiful area. I do admit, I am biased.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 190