BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) --Always Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 31

2021-08-27 10:05 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) --Always Open
Wednesday I went to the gym, yesterday I got in a solid 5k, and this morning I went to masters practice. Coach tried to kill me. First we did a backstroke set, which I loved b/c it was my main stroke when I was little. We did 8 x 25s on :40 (hitting :22-24) followed by a fast 75 (I was hitting 1:02). We did that set 3 times. Then we did 6 x 75 fr (I was supposed to be hitting 1:06 but it was closer to 1:15, lol), and then swam a 300 that was supposed to be the same pace (mine was very slow...I had one speed pretty much). We did that twice. We were supposed to do it a 3rd time but my shoulder was bothering me and coach left so everyone just stopped lol.

Anyway, rough morning but I had to swim off the Guinness Blonde Ales I drank last night. I'm going back for more torture tomorrow morning.

2021-08-28 10:46 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
2021-08-28 3:28 PM
in reply to: #5277764

User image

, Vermont
Nathalie, congratulations!!! Nice times in a rainy event. Hey, 1:33 in T2 is not a slow time!! Great transition!! Both were were really, really good!
Soooooo…. celebratory beer????
Next up.. HIM…
2021-08-28 5:53 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Originally posted by aviatrix802Nathalie, congratulations!!! Nice times in a rainy event. Hey, 1:33 in T2 is not a slow time!! Great transition!! Both were were really, really good!Soooooo…. celebratory beer????Next up.. HIM…
No no no no no, Jenn. Next step, faster Oly. ;-)1:33 a slow time in transition? You should my race reports. My wife used to ask me if I brought a blanket to my tranistion picnic.I posted on the race report, but it sounds like you really executed well. The run in the Oly is really tough to master. For sprint it's kinda automatic that you can almost match your open 5K if you're used to it and unless you fully blow up on the bike you're going to do OK. For the Oly you're going to be somewhere between ::15 and 1:30 per mile difference off your open speed depening on how well you execute.I know you were chasing 3-flat, but in heavy rain I wouldn't worry about those few minutes. How'd you do in your age group? And remember rulle #9 https://www.velominati.com/.
2021-08-29 1:29 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by aviatrix802Nathalie, congratulations!!! Nice times in a rainy event. Hey, 1:33 in T2 is not a slow time!! Great transition!! Both were were really, really good!Soooooo…. celebratory beer????Next up.. HIM…
No no no no no, Jenn. Next step, faster Oly. ;-)1:33 a slow time in transition? You should my race reports. My wife used to ask me if I brought a blanket to my tranistion picnic.I posted on the race report, but it sounds like you really executed well. The run in the Oly is really tough to master. For sprint it's kinda automatic that you can almost match your open 5K if you're used to it and unless you fully blow up on the bike you're going to do OK. For the Oly you're going to be somewhere between ::15 and 1:30 per mile difference off your open speed depening on how well you execute.I know you were chasing 3-flat, but in heavy rain I wouldn't worry about those few minutes. How'd you do in your age group? And remember rulle #9 https://www.velominati.com/.

Thanks Jenn but I agree with Mike, faster oly is my next goal. It took me 7 years to go from sprint to oly so It should take at least another 7 years until I attempt a HIM, if ever.

I am not a fast runner anyway, I actually almost matched my open 10k this year in training (but training is always slower) so I guess I should be happy with that.

I said slow because I was comparing my transition time to the sprints I have done on the same course previous years (so same set up, it’s a small race, small transition aeras near the water and the road) which where about a minute faster each but It was the plan to take my time. Definitely a few seconds to be gained here if the weather is nicer next time.

There was only 5 female doing the oly and none of them were in my age group. The first 3 were much younger (9 to 20 years younger) and I beat one who is 3 years younger than me .

How’s everyone doing?

2021-08-29 8:01 AM
in reply to: #5277790

User image

, Vermont
@ Nathalie, ah I understand. I am in slow and steady mode now for long course where transition times will be 5-10 minutes.

Got in a five hour ride yesterday. 4.5 outside. My watch battery was dying so I scooted home and literally as I pulled in the driveway, stopped my watch and hit save it was dropping to 0%; not even enough juice to transfer data. While it charged for a few minutes I put my bike in the trainer and set up Zwift, then grabbed the watch, transferred data (yay I didn’t lose it!) and finished my last half hour. Today is a 3 hour run I’m dreading (running long distances is what hurts my body most). I’m so close now to race day I just don’t want to get hurt. I’ll take it super easy with lots of walk breaks every mile like I’m going through aid stations. The temperature is GREAT for this, high overcast and high 60’s to low 70’s.

2021-08-29 8:30 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Wow, that’s impressive, I would not have bothered with the last half hour if it was me. Well done!

Yeah, take it easy, you don’t want to get hurt so close to your race!
2021-08-29 8:59 PM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Nathalie Congratulations on your debut Oly distance. Great job in trying conditions.

Jen More epic training sessions as usual from you. Goon on you for doing the last 1/2 hour on the trainer. I did trainer followed by outdoors during my Ironman training, but I don't think I could handle the other way. The temptation to call it a day would be too much.

me 6 rides on zwift, and 3 40ish minute runs for the week for me. 5 hours 10 minutes of bike/run total. Happy with my consistency. Similar plan for the coming week, 6 zwift rides and 3-5 runs. Weather/Family dependent.

Our lockdown continues into week 3. Case numbers are down slightly today so maybe that's a sign we're in the beginning of the end. Dear leader will be addressing the nation from her podium of truth this afternoon, all the 'experts' in the media are signaling at least another 2 weeks, which will bring us through to mid September. Previous lockdowns we've had we have worked through the levels on 2-3 week blocks so I've given up hope of race 1 of the half marathon series happening on October 3. But still hoping later in summer we will be able to get back into things.

Until then, zwift will continue to get a hammering and I'll try and get some of that bike fitness back I've lost since Ironman.

Hope everyone is doing well.
2021-08-30 7:02 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by aviatrix802 @ Nathalie, ah I understand. I am in slow and steady mode now for long course where transition times will be 5-10 minutes. Got in a five hour ride yesterday. 4.5 outside. My watch battery was dying so I scooted home and literally as I pulled in the driveway, stopped my watch and hit save it was dropping to 0%; not even enough juice to transfer data. While it charged for a few minutes I put my bike in the trainer and set up Zwift, then grabbed the watch, transferred data (yay I didn’t lose it!) and finished my last half hour. Today is a 3 hour run I’m dreading (running long distances is what hurts my body most). I’m so close now to race day I just don’t want to get hurt. I’ll take it super easy with lots of walk breaks every mile like I’m going through aid stations. The temperature is GREAT for this, high overcast and high 60’s to low 70’s.

I saw your comments on Strava...that's dedication to the plan!

Are you planning on holding that pace/speed come race day?  That's a pretty good clip and you won't be doing 2500 ft of climbing down there, so you probably could see a little quicker results with the same effort as long as your aerodynamics are OK.  We're supposed to get the remnants of Ida later this week so hopefully that's the end of our tropical deluges this year.

I bailed on my TT down there Saturday  Had a family emergency to attend to (still ongoing...) so just got in a short trainer ride Saturday.

2021-08-30 7:04 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by bulfrog Nathalie Congratulations on your debut Oly distance. Great job in trying conditions. Jen More epic training sessions as usual from you. Goon on you for doing the last 1/2 hour on the trainer. I did trainer followed by outdoors during my Ironman training, but I don't think I could handle the other way. The temptation to call it a day would be too much. me 6 rides on zwift, and 3 40ish minute runs for the week for me. 5 hours 10 minutes of bike/run total. Happy with my consistency. Similar plan for the coming week, 6 zwift rides and 3-5 runs. Weather/Family dependent. Our lockdown continues into week 3. Case numbers are down slightly today so maybe that's a sign we're in the beginning of the end. Dear leader will be addressing the nation from her podium of truth this afternoon, all the 'experts' in the media are signaling at least another 2 weeks, which will bring us through to mid September. Previous lockdowns we've had we have worked through the levels on 2-3 week blocks so I've given up hope of race 1 of the half marathon series happening on October 3. But still hoping later in summer we will be able to get back into things. Until then, zwift will continue to get a hammering and I'll try and get some of that bike fitness back I've lost since Ironman. Hope everyone is doing well.

This about made me spit out my coffee LOL. 

Glad you're getting in some good work, Andrew.  And it still takes me a minute to put together "October" and "as we go into the summer" together. 

Edited by jmhpsu93 2021-08-30 8:01 AM
2021-08-30 10:03 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by Rollergirl

Wow, that’s impressive, I would not have bothered with the last half hour if it was me. Well done!

Yeah, take it easy, you don’t want to get hurt so close to your race!

Agreed!

2021-08-30 10:08 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Nathalie congrats on the Oly!!! Agreed on being a bada$$. Great work!

I went to masters practice Saturday. My arms were dead from practice the day before. And we did more 75s. A lot of them. Ended up around 3k yds for the morning. Went to the gym this morning for a HIIT workout. This gym had treadmills so I end up getting a little speedwork in, which is nice for the tri coming up. Possibly gonna swim this evening depending on the weather (if it's nice, I'm probably going to go watch my vball league finals, but rain means swimming ).
2021-08-30 2:32 PM
in reply to: #5274075

User image

, Vermont
Andrew: way to keep pushing through lockdown, that blows. I also loved the “podium of truths” comment, kills me.

Mike: that time was with traffic stops at lights too. I can’t find anything much flatter than that around here unless I just ride a flat 3 mile stretch back and forth. I hope to keep that pace but we’ll see with the winds on the peninsula; could be minimal wind or a headwind around 2/3 of the course. I’m starting to become a nervous wreck particularly with not as much training as others I’ve seen on the IMMD FB page. Some of these people are riding 120 miles then running a 10k after. Why unless you’re an elite? A friend of mine is a Kona chaser and is coached by a former pro and she doesn’t do that. The butterflies are definitely emerging from their chrysalis in my belly.
Yesterday I managed 18 miles in 3:05 and did my practice water stops every mile. I wore a camelback for the first 15 miles then shed it for the last three and carried a handheld bottle. Toward the end I was definitely feeling a few aches and pains but overall am happy I’ve survived this long without a major injury (knock on wood). Rest day today, and let me tell you, I am tired.
2021-08-30 7:32 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by aviatrix802 Andrew: way to keep pushing through lockdown, that blows. I also loved the “podium of truths” comment, kills me. Mike: that time was with traffic stops at lights too. I can’t find anything much flatter than that around here unless I just ride a flat 3 mile stretch back and forth. I hope to keep that pace but we’ll see with the winds on the peninsula; could be minimal wind or a headwind around 2/3 of the course. I’m starting to become a nervous wreck particularly with not as much training as others I’ve seen on the IMMD FB page. Some of these people are riding 120 miles then running a 10k after. Why unless you’re an elite? A friend of mine is a Kona chaser and is coached by a former pro and she doesn’t do that. The butterflies are definitely emerging from their chrysalis in my belly. Yesterday I managed 18 miles in 3:05 and did my practice water stops every mile. I wore a camelback for the first 15 miles then shed it for the last three and carried a handheld bottle. Toward the end I was definitely feeling a few aches and pains but overall am happy I’ve survived this long without a major injury (knock on wood). Rest day today, and let me tell you, I am tired.

There's a mantra of tri training that I don't agree with, the "get used to the hard day" mentality.  I suppose that's great if your like 30-35 years old and elite, but I think it's nuts to pile 2/3 of your weekly volume into one day like that.  I'm all for one "mental toughness" day or something but for most people the weekend warrior approach is a recipe for failure.

The hard thing about IMMD is the sameness.  it's non-stop flat farm and marsh land, and it's lonely on the bike.  It's also really pretty down there so just enjoy the journey - hoping for 65 degrees, cloudy and no wind for you!

2021-08-31 7:56 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Got in a 4.2 mile run this morning. Best I've felt on a run since the Ragnar, but I'm not sure why because I don't think my legs were effected that badly by it. My glutes are super sore from the gym yesterday so I starting tightening up towards the end of the run.

Going to see Alanis Morisette in concert tonight! Not sure who here would know/like her, but I am SUPER pumped.

Hope everyone is having an amazing week!
2021-08-31 8:57 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e Got in a 4.2 mile run this morning. Best I've felt on a run since the Ragnar, but I'm not sure why because I don't think my legs were effected that badly by it. My glutes are super sore from the gym yesterday so I starting tightening up towards the end of the run. Going to see Alanis Morisette in concert tonight! Not sure who here would know/like her, but I am SUPER pumped. Hope everyone is having an amazing week!

I saw Alanis at Penn State in 1996 (!!!).  She is phenomenal live, and that lady set the standard for the bitter breakup song vibe for sure.  Jagged Little Pill is a fantastic album, though it is ironic that none of the examples she uses in the song "Ironic" are irony. 

2021-08-31 9:13 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by nicole14e

Got in a 4.2 mile run this morning. Best I've felt on a run since the Ragnar, but I'm not sure why because I don't think my legs were effected that badly by it. My glutes are super sore from the gym yesterday so I starting tightening up towards the end of the run.

Going to see Alanis Morisette in concert tonight! Not sure who here would know/like her, but I am SUPER pumped.

Hope everyone is having an amazing week!

Don’t know much about her music (except ”that” song) but I am a huge fan of live music and any concert is a yeeeeaaaahhhh!!! Especially after months of no or not much gigs to see.

Have fun!
2021-08-31 1:20 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Originally posted by nicole14e Got in a 4.2 mile run this morning. Best I've felt on a run since the Ragnar, but I'm not sure why because I don't think my legs were effected that badly by it. My glutes are super sore from the gym yesterday so I starting tightening up towards the end of the run. Going to see Alanis Morisette in concert tonight! Not sure who here would know/like her, but I am SUPER pumped. Hope everyone is having an amazing week!

I saw Alanis at Penn State in 1996 (!!!).  She is phenomenal live, and that lady set the standard for the bitter breakup song vibe for sure.  Jagged Little Pill is a fantastic album, though it is ironic that none of the examples she uses in the song "Ironic" are irony. 

Ummm conquering your fear of flying only to die in a plane crash is totally ironic! The others, true, those are more just disappointing.

Man I'm pumped. And Garbage is opening for her.

Nathalie, agreed! I love any live music (except like, hardcore metal, can't handle the screamy stuff).
2021-08-31 2:01 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Ummm conquering your fear of flying only to die in a plane crash is totally ironic! The others, true, those are more just disappointing. Man I'm pumped. And Garbage is opening for her. Nathalie, agreed! I love any live music (except like, hardcore metal, can't handle the screamy stuff).

Au contraire!  https://www.theatlantic.com/notes/2016/05/alanis-morissette-recognizes-its-not-ironic/481875/ 

That's going to be a great show - enjoy!

2021-08-31 10:24 PM
in reply to: #5277834

User image

, Vermont
I would love to go to any live concert right now and would love to see Alanis, she would be a great show.

Supposed to run :45 today, got in :38, saw a friend and jogged with her at the end and chatted. Also swam this afternoon - plan was for 3500 and decided to tack on another 700 straight set at the end just for the hell of it to get 4200 yards. Tomorrow is a brick and I’ll probably do a short swim in there somewhere. I started to bag up transition and special needs bags…. Eek, starting to get real.
2021-09-01 7:19 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Ummm conquering your fear of flying only to die in a plane crash is totally ironic! The others, true, those are more just disappointing. Man I'm pumped. And Garbage is opening for her. Nathalie, agreed! I love any live music (except like, hardcore metal, can't handle the screamy stuff).

Au contraire!  https://www.theatlantic.com/notes/2016/05/alanis-morissette-recognizes-its-not-ironic/481875/ 

That's going to be a great show - enjoy!

It was SO GOOD. The venue required proof of vaccination or a negative Covid test as well, which made me feel a lot better about going, especially since it was packed.

2021-09-01 9:05 AM
in reply to: #5277862

User image

, Vermont
Nicole, that’s so awesome!! I’m so glad you were able to go!! I bet life felt almost “normal” for a minute!

Got my brick in this morning and dropped my oldest at his Academy. I was thinking of swimming and decided to bag it. At this point I’m just going to stick to my actual plan and today was just a brick. Tomorrow will be an hour ride and a swim.
2021-09-01 2:59 PM
in reply to: #5277871

User image

, Vermont
Oh dear God I should have gone swimming. I went to Costco instead and saw a weight set I’ve been wanting to get and proceeded to load the boxes of weights into my cart and tweaked my back! How stupid! How could I be so careless two weeks out from my race?! I came home and went horizontal and took a nap. I emailed my PT (physio for you guys across the oceans) asking if I should heat or ice and as luck would have it she had a cancellation tomorrow and a possible spot Friday so I can get worked on. She told me to do NOTHING tomorrow until she sees me and assesses my dumb-assery. (Excuse the language). Ugh, I feel nauseous.
2021-09-01 3:29 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Oh no! Hope it’s not too serious and she can fix you!
2021-09-01 3:38 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Oh no is right! Oh my gosh, Jenn, I hope it's nothing serious! Sending you all the positive, healing thoughts!!!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) --Always Open Rss Feed  

of 31