BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 383

2009-08-24 3:06 PM
in reply to: #2367363

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN Mentor Group-Closed! KEEP ASKING QUESTIONS!!!
fattyfatfat - 2009-08-24 1:57 PM another way to bust out is to moonwalk.....

Cool.... and how awesome is it that you moonwalked across the line in front of the topless muscle freak?
That pic may belong in Pacebotty

2009-08-24 3:13 PM
in reply to: #2367389

User image

Champion
marietta
TrevorC - 2009-08-24 3:06 PM
fattyfatfat - 2009-08-24 1:57 PM another way to bust out is to moonwalk.....

Cool.... and how awesome is it that you moonwalked across the line in front of the topless muscle freak?
That pic may belong in Pacebotty

LOL!  he did a few ballerina kicks. 
2009-08-24 3:51 PM
in reply to: #2071255

User image

Tracy, I agree with Kim.
You can do this..and once you get this under your belt you will be totally set for B2B!
Here are a couple of things to think about - just my .02:  It's all about being comfortable.....
Get in the water before the start (get use to the water temp so that the temp doesn't catch your breath)
Get a little water in your mouth, swish it around and spit it out...gross, but you get that taste before you start
The run from the beach to the water is fun , run but don't sprint and get winded
As soon as you can start swimming do so...it's easier to go under the waves if you are swimming than to run through them
First few 100 yards/meters are going to feel weird...nerves, conditions, etc.....STAY CALM, just go with it, and you will soon settle into a good rhythm and it will be fun.
If the waves are huge you may need to breaststroke a little to find the buoys - that's fine 
Keep your stroke long and smooth...and you will be at the finish before you know it (is it a two loop course?)
Also, swim in as far as you can....it is faster to swim the in water than to walk 

You've been doing some ows so I am sure you'll be fine.  The key for me is to stay calm, getting through the first few 100 and then getting into the rhythm.   After that...it's a piece of cake r
2009-08-24 4:00 PM
in reply to: #2367328

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
ashort33 - 2009-08-24 3:44 PM

TrevorC - 2009-08-24 2:23 PM so what does one think of this treadmill
...........http://www.advancedfitnessgroup.com/products/treadmills/20AT.aspx

It looks like a fancy moving sidewalk with an ipod holder

Seriously though, Iwould have someone explain the warranty.  It says lifetime frame and motor and then 1 year labor and 3 years parts...  That confused me...  Have you googled it looking for reviews?

My interpritation of that warrently is made of steel with a good motor, but we won't make any garentees as to how bad you run on our machine and therefore how bad you mess it up.  How does it compare to other treadmills that don't have the iPod feature? Seems to me that is where a lot of the price is coming from.  But I've never researched treadmills so what do I know.

BTW, great job on the PB!!  Way to kick butt.
2009-08-24 4:04 PM
in reply to: #2367519

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Havin'Fun - 2009-08-24 4:51 PM Tracy, I agree with Kim.
You can do this..and once you get this under your belt you will be totally set for B2B!
Here are a couple of things to think about - just my .02:  It's all about being comfortable.....
Get in the water before the start (get use to the water temp so that the temp doesn't catch your breath)
Get a little water in your mouth, swish it around and spit it out...gross, but you get that taste before you start
The run from the beach to the water is fun , run but don't sprint and get winded
As soon as you can start swimming do so...it's easier to go under the waves if you are swimming than to run through them
First few 100 yards/meters are going to feel weird...nerves, conditions, etc.....STAY CALM, just go with it, and you will soon settle into a good rhythm and it will be fun.
If the waves are huge you may need to breaststroke a little to find the buoys - that's fine 
Keep your stroke long and smooth...and you will be at the finish before you know it (is it a two loop course?)
Also, swim in as far as you can....it is faster to swim the in water than to walk 

You've been doing some ows so I am sure you'll be fine.  The key for me is to stay calm, getting through the first few 100 and then getting into the rhythm.   After that...it's a piece of cake r

Thanks Linda.  Luckily Jordan Lake has been very choppy lately so hopefully that will translate some what.  At least I discovered I don't get motion sickness.  My fiend said she felt like hurling in the water halfway through our last swim!  I think you have really good advise and I will follow all of it.  I don't know if I want good visibility or not.......it is the ocean you know.Surprised
2009-08-24 4:15 PM
in reply to: #2365615

User image

ashort33 - 2009-08-23 10:13 PM

Hey all, the day has slowed down enough for some BT time...  I improved about 12 minutes today on the same course as as the tri in May.  RR is up.  I am happy and disappointed at the same time.  Happy that I improved and exceed my goal, disappointed that I did not beat my buddy...  Didn't he know I was supposed to beat him?    Time to get caught up on all the posts from the weekend...

A 12 minute improvement in 3 months...HUGE!  Way to go, very nicely done!!!

2009-08-24 4:17 PM

User image

Love the pic John.....especially with muscle man coming in behind you.
Bet he was watching you wishing he could do it
2009-08-24 4:28 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Hello everyone.  Just checking in, its been a while.  Happy to hear everyone is racing and kicking butt.  Training for me is good, getting in the pool again later today... finally. 

Everyone have a good week!
2009-08-24 5:03 PM

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
Okay, sorry, but I have to share.  I know everyone is going to get jealous, but checkout what we have in Greenville again this weekend:

http://www.usacyclingchampionships.com/

I can't wait to check it out again.  Lance spoke there two years ago when they gave George the key to the city.
2009-08-24 6:17 PM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

Yahoo my new xterra wetsuit finally got here. Going to try it out tomorrow night. I tried it on and it felt great. Lighter than the 2XU I was renting and much more supple. Cost a little more than I thought overall as I had to pay sale tax up here. Still a really good deal.

2009-08-24 7:15 PM
in reply to: #2366895

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
SSMinnow - 2009-08-24 10:38 AM  Hula Dancer  WAY TO GO TREVOR--a PB is awesome!!!!    I'm doing a little hula dance just for you!!!! 

You know another reason I am doing the dance?  I just booked our tickets to Hawaii--Feb 11-21!! I promise I won't be talking about this for the next 6 months, but I am pysched to be going back for our 13th year.  We are heading to Maui for 5 days before visiting the man's parents in Kaui for another 5 days!!  Still working on locking in on the perfect Maui condo, but it will be on Kaanapali for sure....great beach and great running area....YIPEE!

QUOTE]

Ok, How about I talk about Kim and I going there in November, then when I get back we can switch gears, and you can talk about it !

2009-08-24 7:37 PM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
John, Digging the Picture...

To all the PR'S==== NICE!  Trevor I think back in the day you were wondering if a sub 30 min' 5k was possible!  HUGE!

Swimming--- That is why Bilateral breathing is important.  Many times we will need to focus on one way or another.  Next time you swim try to swim ONLY on your OFF SIDE!  Force yourself to do one lap on the "wrong side."    Its like when we thought we couldn't ride a bike w/ no hands, but we managed (except on tri bike for me)..... it can be done!

Chet- Keep up the good work!!

Rob- Enjoy the new SUIT!  Big difference!!!!

Edited by swbkrun 2009-08-24 7:38 PM
2009-08-24 7:38 PM
in reply to: #2366861

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
TrevorC - 2009-08-24 1:28 PM Happy Monday all.....
I must be the only one in our group that breathes to the left. All you one directional breathers breathe to the right??? Are you all righthanded or something by chance??

I had a breakthrough moment this weekend...My 1/2 mary plan said to do a 5k race this weekend.Then an easy 6 or 7 miles the next day.....We were out at the cabin. I was feeling really lazy on Sat morning. Did not feel like running whatsoever. I started to think about wanting to keep on my plan and I actually laughed about the Barry/Chris HTFU moments from last week. So I ran the 5k and ended up PB'ing it!! Best was 27 flat prior, and I ran it in 26:32. I had a real mental breakthrough as I did not know if I could hold that pace, and I kept wanting to tell my body/legs to stop!!! But I pushed through it. I'm really starting to learn that my body can do more than my mind allows sometimes. I think my mind is what is limiting me sometimes, and I'm not sure how to bust out of it.... Not sure if its that former-fatty thing or what?? You guys experience that?? I'm thinking the Johns/Andys or the world may know what I'm saying.

Way to join the HTFU club Trevor.  It's amazing what happens when you do something that you really don't want to do.  For me, more times than not, I have a great workout/ race.  You are 100% right.  It crazy what your body can do when your mind doesn't get in the way.
2009-08-24 7:42 PM
in reply to: #2367923

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
swbkrun - 2009-08-24 8:37 PM John, Digging the Picture...

To all the PR'S==== NICE!  Trevor I think back in the day you were wondering if a sub 30 min' 5k was possible!  HUGE!

Swimming--- That is why Bilateral breathing is important.  Many times we will need to focus on one way or another.  Next time you swim try to swim ONLY on your OFF SIDE!  Force yourself to do one lap on the "wrong side."    Its like when we thought we couldn't ride a bike w/ no hands, but we managed (except on tri bike for me)..... it can be done!

Chet- Keep up the good work!!

Rob- Enjoy the new SUIT!  Big difference!!!!

FWIW, I agree with this 100%.  I have always been a right side breather, but to teach myself to breath on the opposite side, I would always face one side in the pool.  This means I would have to breath on both sides for the entire length.  Once I got this, I worked on the bilateral breathing.  I can do both if needed, but am still much faster breathing to my right.
2009-08-24 8:06 PM

User image

Expert
Auburn AL

QUESTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am starting to PANIC about my volume etc...especially as far as the run is concerned.  This week is supposed to be a rest week on my plan with 30 min workouts doing 2 a day mostly until the weekend.  Last week I traveled and took 2 days off and only got 9 miles of running in last week.  I did get a long bike in on Saturday which loaded my volume up to the plan level. 

I am considering doing a long run tomorrow, as I took today off as prescribed.  So basically I have had 3 full days of rest this last week.  I feel like I need the run, and my plan is for the next couple of weeks to really ramp up the volume before tapering.  Race is Sept 27. 

Should I slide the run into the plan and get some needed miles in?

2009-08-24 8:13 PM
in reply to: #2367994

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

Plainsman AU - 2009-08-24 8:06 PM

I am starting to PANIC about my volume etc...especially as far as the run is concerned.  This week is supposed to be a rest week on my plan with 30 min workouts doing 2 a day mostly until the weekend.  Last week I traveled and took 2 days off and only got 9 miles of running in last week.  I did get a long bike in on Saturday which loaded my volume up to the plan level. 

I am considering doing a long run tomorrow, as I took today off as prescribed.  So basically I have had 3 full days of rest this last week.  I feel like I need the run, and my plan is for the next couple of weeks to really ramp up the volume before tapering.  Race is Sept 27. 

Run Barry, run!!!

2009-08-24 8:24 PM

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
OK Andy...I am on it.

I think my game plan will be to have a good HARD Tues and Thursday with light workouts on Fri and Sat which should give me plenty of rest to start the next week ready to kick it in.

Hey Trevor...Good job on the PR. 
2009-08-24 8:26 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Hey Barry

Don't panic!!  You still have some time to build up your run volume, but it is time to assess.  What is the longest distance you have done so far? and how many times?  Your swimming is good and your biking is strong so with three days rest, I would consider running a wise idea. Don't go crazy, but you really do need to make sure those legs are strong off the bike.

Suzy 
2009-08-24 8:26 PM

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Not sure if anyone is still doing the 200 situp challenge but I had to take some time off for being sick.

Feels good to get back to work.

Week 4, day 1, 204 situps, 60 seconds leg lifts, and 30 crunches to each side done tonight.
2009-08-25 6:56 AM

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
Plainsman AU - 2009-08-24 9:06 PM

I hear you man.  I am a little concerned about my bike volume.  I need to get that up some.  I can do the distance, but don't feel real strong after as Suzy was saying earlier.  I missed my 2.5 hr bike Sunday, so I moved it to today and shortened my recovery b/c I did take off Sat. and Sun.  I'd say run.
2009-08-25 7:10 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Chris and Barry

I was having an interesting exchange with Gordo and he made the comment "there is no such thing as a good bike and a bad run". His point, often times you can have a great bike because you hammered the heck out of it, but are left fully depleted when it comes time to do the 13.1m.   I know it is hard to hold back for you really good bikers,  but overall your time will probably have a better overall time if you do.  And this is coming from him, not me, since what the heck the do I really know about HIM distance racing?

Off to do my hour TT.....

Suzy

2009-08-25 7:20 AM
in reply to: #2368034

User image

Champion
marietta
SSMinnow - 2009-08-24 8:26 PM

Hey Barry

Don't panic!!  You still have some time to build up your run volume, but it is time to assess.  What is the longest distance you have done so far? and how many times?  Your swimming is good and your biking is strong so with three days rest, I would consider running a wise idea. Don't go crazy, but you really do need to make sure those legs are strong off the bike.

Suzy 

X3. assessment and run.  you are in good shape.  three days off this week?  man i should have used that program!

2009-08-25 7:21 AM
in reply to: #2368035

User image

Champion
marietta
dalessit - 2009-08-24 8:26 PM Not sure if anyone is still doing the 200 situp challenge but I had to take some time off for being sick.

Feels good to get back to work.

Week 4, day 1, 204 situps, 60 seconds leg lifts, and 30 crunches to each side done tonight.

i'm still with you.  i'm back a day, week 3 day 3. 
2009-08-25 7:24 AM

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
you guys need some new pictures in your albums, I look every so often when bored at work.
2009-08-25 8:07 AM

User image

Expert
Auburn AL

I went for the run this morning.  Planned a 12 miler and was feeling GREAT thru about mile 9.  HR stayed in zone 2 and I was just cruising along...not fast at all, around 10 to 10.5.  About mile 9 my right knee started to feel really tight.  Not a sharp pain, but almost like a charlie horse feels in your leg.  I tried to stretch it etc, but as the next couple miles passed, I could hardly run on it.  I can't put a finger on it where it hurts, just kind of feels like my whole knee area but mostly on the outside.  Could that be ITB issues? 

I kept telling myself to HTFU so I could get a pat on the back from Chris and Trevor after their stellar HTFU efforts.  I thought my HTFU story was going to be when I took a right for 6 more miles instead of heading for the house since my left foot was starting to blister, but that seems to be the slightest of my problems now.

Maybe this should be a question for DR SUZY (the MG proclaimed kneedeatrition). 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  

of 383