BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 383

2009-08-25 8:12 AM
in reply to: #2368572

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN Mentor Group-Closed! KEEP ASKING QUESTIONS!!!
Plainsman AU - 2009-08-25 8:07 AM

I went for the run this morning.  Planned a 12 miler and was feeling GREAT thru about mile 9.  HR stayed in zone 2 and I was just cruising along...not fast at all, around 10 to 10.5.  About mile 9 my right knee started to feel really tight.  Not a sharp pain, but almost like a charlie horse feels in your leg.  I tried to stretch it etc, but as the next couple miles passed, I could hardly run on it.  I can't put a finger on it where it hurts, just kind of feels like my whole knee area but mostly on the outside.  Could that be ITB issues? 

I kept telling myself to HTFU so I could get a pat on the back from Chris and Trevor after their stellar HTFU efforts.  I thought my HTFU story was going to be when I took a right for 6 more miles instead of heading for the house since my left foot was starting to blister, but that seems to be the slightest of my problems now.

Maybe this should be a question for DR SUZY (the MG proclaimed kneedeatrition). 

There are HTFU moments and then there are moments when your body is trying to tell you something. Pain is usually the way it sends that message. It is foolish on a training run to ignore the pain messages. You did the right thing in trying to stretch it out. When that did not work the proper thing was to STOP. You risk serious injury when you ignore such pains. No "pat on the back" is worth sitting on the couch because you over did things. I am glad you made the wise choice.

Doug

2009-08-25 8:28 AM
in reply to: #2368590

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
DougRob - 2009-08-25 9:12 AM

I went for the run this morning.  Planned a 12 miler and was feeling GREAT thru about mile 9.  HR stayed in zone 2 and I was just cruising along...not fast at all, around 10 to 10.5.  About mile 9 my right knee started to feel really tight.  Not a sharp pain, but almost like a charlie horse feels in your leg.  I tried to stretch it etc, but as the next couple miles passed, I could hardly run on it.  I can't put a finger on it where it hurts, just kind of feels like my whole knee area but mostly on the outside.  Could that be ITB issues? 

I kept telling myself to HTFU so I could get a pat on the back from Chris and Trevor after their stellar HTFU efforts.  I thought my HTFU story was going to be when I took a right for 6 more miles instead of heading for the house since my left foot was starting to blister, but that seems to be the slightest of my problems now.

There are HTFU moments and then there are moments when your body is trying to tell you something. Pain is usually the way it sends that message. It is foolish on a training run to ignore the pain messages. You did the right thing in trying to stretch it out. When that did not work the proper thing was to STOP. You risk serious injury when you ignore such pains. No "pat on the back" is worth sitting on the couch because you over did things. I am glad you made the wise choice.

Doug

Yep, sore and tired is one thing, pain is something else.  No sense in hurting yourself to the point where you can't race.
2009-08-25 8:32 AM
in reply to: #2368463

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
fattyfatfat - 2009-08-25 6:21 AM
dalessit - 2009-08-24 8:26 PM Not sure if anyone is still doing the 200 situp challenge but I had to take some time off for being sick.

Feels good to get back to work.

Week 4, day 1, 204 situps, 60 seconds leg lifts, and 30 crunches to each side done tonight.

i'm still with you.  i'm back a day, week 3 day 3. 

I am still hanging in....Doing Week 4 Day 1 tonight...
2009-08-25 8:36 AM
in reply to: #2368448

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
SSMinnow - 2009-08-25 6:10 AM Chris and Barry

I was having an interesting exchange with Gordo and he made the comment "there is no such thing as a good bike and a bad run". His point, often times you can have a great bike because you hammered the heck out of it, but are left fully depleted when it comes time to do the 13.1m.   I know it is hard to hold back for you really good bikers,  but overall your time will probably have a better overall time if you do.  And this is coming from him, not me, since what the heck the do I really know about HIM distance racing?

Off to do my hour TT.....

Suzy

That totally makes sense. Not that I've done the HIM distances yet. But on one on my Oly's this year, I hammered the bike, but I was DONE on the run. The next one I held back on the bike a bit and paid for it on my bike split, but more than made it up on the run where I actually felt reasonably strong. It is hard as I am a way stronger biker than runner. Its hard when you are feeling good in a race you want to hammer it, but you need to save that energy.
2009-08-25 9:18 AM
in reply to: #2071255

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Chris - first off...congrats on the posting. I think that was your first post without the blank double post attached.  JJ   The TT championship is so cool.  I wonder if Andy Schleck is going to be there to work on his time trialing.  If he can improve on that then old Contador should be really worried. 

Rob -so where are the pictures of the sexy new suit?

Barry - I agree with the previous posts, NO HTFU!!!    Have you ever taken Glucosamin - Chondroitin supplements for your joints?  It may not be a bad idea is assist in all the extra pounding.  I run at your pace and I know I feeling it in my joints.  Personally it helps but everyone is different.

So I decided to be tough like Suzy this weekend.  I have a mile swim race at our local nuclear powerplant lake (yes we glow in NC) and am suppose to run 12 this weekend..... so I thought, why not run after the swim? 
2009-08-25 9:22 AM
in reply to: #2368463

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

fattyfatfat - 2009-08-25 7:21 AM
dalessit - 2009-08-24 8:26 PM Not sure if anyone is still doing the 200 situp challenge but I had to take some time off for being sick.

Feels good to get back to work.

Week 4, day 1, 204 situps, 60 seconds leg lifts, and 30 crunches to each side done tonight.

i'm still with you.  i'm back a day, week 3 day 3. 

Time for me to get back at it.  Tough to find time...

2009-08-25 9:59 AM
in reply to: #2368853

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
tahrens - 2009-08-25 9:18 AM

Barry - I agree with the previous posts, NO HTFU!!!    Have you ever taken Glucosamin - Chondroitin supplements for your joints?  It may not be a bad idea is assist in all the extra pounding.  I run at your pace and I know I feeling it in my joints.  Personally it helps but everyone is different.

So I decided to be tough like Suzy this weekend.  I have a mile swim race at our local nuclear powerplant lake (yes we glow in NC) and am suppose to run 12 this weekend..... so I thought, why not run after the swim? 

I have taken some Glucosamin Chon when I first started running...might try to get back on it and see if it helps.

I like the idea of the long run after you swim...that will for sure get you in the HTFU club!
2009-08-25 10:08 AM

User image

Expert
B'ham
I'm getting faster <trying not to hurt shoulder patting self on back>
2009-08-25 10:15 AM
in reply to: #2368996

User image

Expert
B'ham
Plainsman AU - 2009-08-25 7:59 AM
tahrens - 2009-08-25 9:18 AM

I have taken some Glucosamin Chon when I first started running...might try to get back on it and see if it helps.

I like the idea of the long run after you swim...that will for sure get you in the HTFU club!

Barry,
A friend of mine had knee and elbow issues and took Mangosteen supplements (capsule, he says the juice looks like pus) with great results.  It took about two weeks for the full effects to happen, but that it was really amazing.  So for this trial of n=1, the outcomes are positive.
2009-08-25 10:28 AM
in reply to: #2369042

User image

Champion
marietta
cadmus - 2009-08-25 10:08 AM I'm getting faster

*pats on back*  yes you are.  7:48 pace.  very nice.

edit.   hr was up there so you were pushing pretty good. outstanding!

Edited by fattyfatfat 2009-08-25 10:30 AM
2009-08-25 10:31 AM

User image

Champion
marietta
DougRob - 2009-08-25 8:12 AM

Doug

x4 

but no wonder n=1 if it looks like puss

Edited by fattyfatfat 2009-08-25 10:32 AM

2009-08-25 10:31 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
DougRob - 2009-08-25 8:12 AM

Doug

I couldn't have said it better myself!  Personally, I am not much of a HTFU fan.  I think mental toughness is crucial to success in endurance sports, but running through pain is just plain stupid.

Is the pain on the side of the knee? or under the knee cap?  The side can be an ITB issue, but it usually starts at the TFL (this was a topic with Chris a couple of weeks ago).  Within the link, the TFL is at the insertion point at the top of the hip.  Get a tennis ball or TP Massage ball and place it there while on your side, if it hurts like crazy, it's a trigger point and is probably causing your knee issues...keep it there, breathe and repeat a few times.  Get a foam roller and make sure you go all the way down the ITB (not over your knee) and then all the way down the side of your calf.  Repeat the tennis ball in the glute area too.  If you read the article ITB syndrome is caused by a bunch of stuff including bad roads and weak butt muscles.  If the pain is under the knee cap, email me back because that is a totally different issue!

Dr. Suzy's advice is to stretch lightly before you start, 15 mins after you w/u and post effort. No stretch, lots of issues later!
2009-08-25 10:51 AM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
I am with Suzy on this... I hate the HTFU saying.  If you are hurt/injured it makes absolutely NO SENSE!  I didn't like the expression 3 years ago when it 1st came out, and I still don't like it now.....
2009-08-25 11:43 AM
in reply to: #2369199

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
swbkrun - 2009-08-25 9:51 AM I am with Suzy on this... I hate the HTFU saying.  If you are hurt/injured it makes absolutely NO SENSE!  I didn't like the expression 3 years ago when it 1st came out, and I still don't like it now.....

Hey Steve, out of curiousity, why do you hate the phrase so much? For someone like me, I totally understand if you are hurt/injured STOP!! It has become quiet cliche, for "Suck it up".
 For me, it pushed me through the times when I fell like quitting. When I have a wussy -boy moment, I think HTFU and do this.
I understand what you saying though. Better to bail out than risk injury.
2009-08-25 11:44 AM

User image

Champion
Did another hour long TT today on the perscribed course from hell.  Do these ever get fun? I can do an hour long Tempo run and love it, but these plain SUCK!  I did see a 15W improvement versus last month so I guess  I am happy about that, but I dont really know how to assess the improvement.  Who does? Tony? Steve? Ryan? Chris? anyone?
Pardon me while I go throw up now Surprised.
2009-08-25 12:13 PM

User image

Pro
Trevor-  I just don't like it.  I think that when things are tough I tend to looking a little deeper than just being a pansy that day.  I tend to think what makes is so hard, how far have I already gone, what would make this better, how can I get out of the funk?  I tell myself positive thoughts-  Get some calories, you have already run 15 miles, what's 2 more, your lucky to be able to do things like this, feel tired when your done, etc... These are all things I talk to myself about while running.  To me, just sucking it up doesn't really motivate me.  THAT'S JUST ME.  Doesn't mean it other's can't LIVE BY IT.... I just prefer to think in other ways.  Hopefully this makes some sense?! !

Suzy-  Ryan or Tony may give you a much more scientific answer, but from my experience, and my understanding, 15 watts is pretty substainable.  Especially over an hour time span.  Even if a different course you are much stronger now, and able to maintain I higher wattage for a longer period of time.  Keep in mind you cannot compare wattage with someone like myself who is 170lbs.  Ryan and I can't even compare wattage because there is such a difference in size.  Just because my workouts show that I am pushing an avg watts of 180 or something, I am still working w/ 70 more lbs than Ryan ( )!! It is just different.... 15 watts in a month, your just getting warmed up.  At this rate you by next summer you will be a BIGGER (not literally) machine!

2009-08-25 12:41 PM
in reply to: #2369476

User image

Champion
swbkrun - 2009-08-25 12:13 PM Trevor-  I just don't like it.  I think that when things are tough I tend to looking a little deeper than just being a pansy that day.  I tend to think what makes is so hard, how far have I already gone, what would make this better, how can I get out of the funk?  I tell myself positive thoughts-  Get some calories, you have already run 15 miles, what's 2 more, your lucky to be able to do things like this, feel tired when your done, etc... These are all things I talk to myself about while running.  To me, just sucking it up doesn't really motivate me.  THAT'S JUST ME.  Doesn't mean it other's can't LIVE BY IT.... I just prefer to think in other ways.  Hopefully this makes some sense?! !

Suzy-  Ryan or Tony may give you a much more scientific answer, but from my experience, and my understanding, 15 watts is pretty substainable.  Especially over an hour time span.  Even if a different course you are much stronger now, and able to maintain I higher wattage for a longer period of time.  Keep in mind you cannot compare wattage with someone like myself who is 170lbs.  Ryan and I can't even compare wattage because there is such a difference in size.  Just because my workouts show that I am pushing an avg watts of 180 or something, I am still working w/ 70 more lbs than Ryan ( )!! It is just different.... 15 watts in a month, your just getting warmed up.  At this rate you by next summer you will be a BIGGER (not literally) machine!

Uhm, ok so does the red mean, substantial? or sustainable? and are you saying Ryan weighs 110lbs?  or are you trying to say I weight 110lbs? either way, I think you might be in trouble!   I do know that size matters (here I go again) when it comes to being able to push Watts.  I just want to be able to push more than you.....ok, not really.....well maybe.
2009-08-25 12:49 PM
in reply to: #2369588

User image

Expert
B'ham
SSMinnow - 2009-08-25 10:41 AM
swbkrun - 2009-08-25 12:13 PM Trevor-  I just don't like it.  I think that when things are tough I tend to looking a little deeper than just being a pansy that day.  I tend to think what makes is so hard, how far have I already gone, what would make this better, how can I get out of the funk?  I tell myself positive thoughts-  Get some calories, you have already run 15 miles, what's 2 more, your lucky to be able to do things like this, feel tired when your done, etc... These are all things I talk to myself about while running.  To me, just sucking it up doesn't really motivate me.  THAT'S JUST ME.  Doesn't mean it other's can't LIVE BY IT.... I just prefer to think in other ways.  Hopefully this makes some sense?! !

Uhm, ok so does the red mean, substantial? or sustainable? and are you saying Ryan weighs 110lbs?  or are you trying to say I weight 110lbs? either way, I think you might be in trouble!   I do know that size matters (here I go again) when it comes to being able to push Watts.  I just want to be able to push more than you.....ok, not really.....well maybe.

My math says 170-70=100.  Whether he meant you or Ryan - I don't know.
2009-08-25 1:01 PM

User image

Pro
Substantial.... It's a good thing!!
2009-08-25 1:16 PM
in reply to: #2369614

User image

Champion
cadmus - 2009-08-25 12:49 PM
SSMinnow - 2009-08-25 10:41 AM

My math says 170-70=100.  Whether he meant you or Ryan - I don't know.

Hey, good catch...way to spank me back.  I saw the 180 and thought that was Steve's weight, not his watts.....my attention to detail sucks today.
2009-08-25 1:45 PM

User image

Pro
Thanks Matt... I was refering to Ryan.... 180 Suzy?  Thank you!  That is pretty close to winter weight, but we aren't there yet.  Close maybe?

2009-08-25 1:50 PM

User image

Ok nutrition experts...I NEED HELP.

I got my Infinit yesterday and I had a 2 hr bike on tap for today.  Had school meetings first thing in the am, so as soon as I get home I mix up my drink and am on my way.  Riding was going along fine (same as usual).  I drank some Infinit at 15 min and again at 35 min.  At 40 minutes I got very light headed and dizzy...seriously didn't know if I was going to be able to hold up bike upright.  So I stopped and drank some plain old gatorade I had also brought.  From that point on I alternated gatorade and the Infinit and I was fine the rest of the ride.

BTW:  When I got up this am I had my normal breakfast.  Then a power bar right before going out on the bike.  

Should I have eaten something with the Infinit?  It was a little sweet to me.

Oh, and my big hill at mile 7.....cruised down at 29.6...fastest I've ever been on my bike.  Didn't hit the brakes and didn't even scream    

Edited for spelling.  Who knows how to do spell check on this site?  I can not type!!!  

Edited by Havin'Fun 2009-08-25 1:53 PM
2009-08-25 1:54 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
The guy that I mentioned who got hit by a car in the race on Saturday was one of the elite guys racing the OLY and was in the lead when it happened.   He cracked his seat post and a beat up seat. He got jacked pretty good but ended up getting back on his bike and finishing third.

Come to find out a bit ago another guy got hit to.  Thankfully he's ok too.   2 guys getting hit in a race.  hmmmm.

2009-08-25 1:55 PM
in reply to: #2369844

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Havin'Fun - 2009-08-25 2:50 PM Ok nutrition experts...I NEED HELP.

I got my Infinit yesterday and I had a 2 hr bike on tap for today.  Had school meetings first thing in the am, so as soon as I get home I mix up my drink and am on my way.  Riding was going along fine (same as usual).  I drank some Infinit at 15 min and again at 35 min.  At 40 minutes I got very light headed and dizzy...seriously didn't know if I was going to be able to hold up bike upright.  So I stopped and drank some plain old gatorade I had also brought.  From that point on I alternated gatorade and the Infinit and I was fine the rest of the ride.

BTW:  When I got up this am I had my normal breakfast.  Then a power bar right before going out on the bike.  

Should I have eaten something with the Infinit?  It was a little sweet to me.

Oh, and my big hill at mile 7.....cruised down at 29.6...fastest I've eer been on my bike.  Didn't hit the brakes and didn't even scream    

Don't know about the Infinit,  but if want a screaming hill to go down you need to climb, and then descend, Lystra!!  It is at the northern tip of Jordan Lake off of Ferrington.  We should go climb it sometime.   Went up it at 6 mph and back down at 38 mph before my bike started to wobble and I hit the breaks.  Good times
2009-08-25 2:10 PM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Is the day over with yet?  It is 3:00 on the east coast and I so want to be out on my bike or running right now.  I need to find a job that allows me to "work from home." 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  

of 383