BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun Mentor Group II- CLOSED FOR BUSINESS!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 81

2010-10-22 8:21 PM
in reply to: #3167949

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Subject: RE: swbkrun Mentor Group II- CLOSED FOR BUSINESS!!!
tahrens - 2010-10-22 6:19 PM

Sorry for the confusion ladies, thought I would give the boys something juvenile to joke about for the Friday banter.  Too bad I missed the discussion, I was actually being a good girl at work today.  Linda, Doug, you guys should join me sometime. 

I still don't get it...glass and a wetsuit.....Undecided

2010-10-22 8:32 PM
in reply to: #3168047

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
SSMinnow - 2010-10-22 7:17 PM
TrevorC - 2010-10-22 6:25 PM So I went a saw a PT today after work. He told me my issue is essentially the meniscus brtween my tibia and fibula is 'disrupted.' so RICE and we'll see how the weekend run goes. If it starts off bad, call it a day. Doesn't think it something that will get too bad, but no point taking chances 6 weeks before the race.

What exactly does disrupted mean? Never heard of it. Is it the lateral meniscus?  Whenever I hear anything is awry in that area, I am always concerned.  Did he think your new choice of shoes had anything to do with it? 

Medial Meniscus. Inner knee right? Disrupted may have been a bad choice of word to quote. How about 'irritated?'
Im running in Brooks Glycerin so nothing really too new. He things it may be just with the bigger volumes for me that its getting irritated.
2010-10-22 8:39 PM
in reply to: #3168053

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
SSMinnow - 2010-10-22 7:21 PM

Sorry for the confusion ladies, thought I would give the boys something juvenile to joke about for the Friday banter.  Too bad I missed the discussion, I was actually being a good girl at work today.  Linda, Doug, you guys should join me sometime. 

2010-10-23 7:37 AM
in reply to: #3167048

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

TrevorC - 2010-10-22 12:19 PM
Plainsman AU - 2010-10-22 9:59 AM
tahrens - 2010-10-22 9:57 AM YOU KNOW THE LAKE IS COLD WHEN THE GIRLS CAN CUT GLASS THROUGH THE WETSUIT!!!  Just a little insite into my OWS last night, though I'd share.  Smile

Bump to the bottom of the thread...for more smart A$$ comments.

Tracy, please take a moment and describe your situation a little more detailed if you can.
We are here to help, but must fully understand the issue at hand.

Wait a minute. Isn't this one of those "if there isn't pictures" times. C'mon Sugar where are those glass cutters

Behind quite a few pages as my computer was down again. daughter downloaded a virus by mistake and had to take back in.

NFL. I have been a Raiders fan for many years and am old enough to remember when they won the last of their 3 Superbowls

Edited by Redknight 2010-10-23 7:45 AM
2010-10-23 7:50 AM
in reply to: #3168053

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
SSMinnow - 2010-10-22 8:21 PM

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4501740991354967738#
2010-10-23 1:59 PM
in reply to: #3168340

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

Plainsman AU - 2010-10-23 8:50 AM
SSMinnow - 2010-10-22 8:21 PM

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4501740991354967738#

LOL the best explanation yet.

2010-10-23 5:25 PM
in reply to: #3161672

User image

Master
Sin City
SSMinnow - 2010-10-20 3:45 AM

I know it's Wednesday because I've been up since 4am with the newest member of the family!  But it also means at least one of you are racing this weekend, so expound upon the details!

For the rest of us, why did you make the switch to more minimalist shoes? for those that haven't will you?

PS. The orange is for Twin and Trev who seem to have a thing with the color....

VERY belated!  There were a few firsts here. First time that I swam with good size waves. First time I forgot something VERY important (water bottles filled with Heed. HOWEVER...luckily, no one saw my fiancé leave the bag by the fence just right before the swim, otherwise I would have been DQ'd or penalized (shhhh...don't tell anyone! Although, since he did it about 15 minutes before I went off, I don't think it counts. :-) ). First time that I ever felt like I really really really had to go potty. I basically was prairie dogging it for about 45 minutes to an hour on the bike (GI hated me today for not going potty). First time I broke some rules (getting gear from a speculator and deviating from the run course to make a HUGE dump at someone's house). If I didn't go potty, I seriously would have been in agony. I didn't want to do a "Uta Pippig" thing going on. First time that my quads locked up for a while = painful run for about 2 miles. First time that I ran with some one at my pace for 3 miles. I totally do not think I would have done a good job without her. First time that the bike course for any of my triathlons was 80% HILLS with 8-12% grades. Seriously...not a joke if you don't know how to climb hills in Vegas!
Best of all....
MY FIRST OLYMPIC TRIATHLON!!! 

So what that I finished it just about 4 hours...important thing I had LOADS of fun!! I'm off to massage my legs, feet, and best of all....sleep and recover.  I sadly will hang up my swim googles for a while. I just seriously hate to swim. So I think I will just wait a while and then do 1x a week for off season. I'll still bike and run of course. Maybe do Jorge's winter training? :-)    RR will be up as soon as I find out my results. Don't be shocked...it's not fast. :-) 
2010-10-23 5:44 PM
in reply to: #3161679

User image

Master
Sin City
SSMinnow - 2010-10-20 3:58 AM For dog people, when I take Cooper out of his crate to go to the bathroom he pees on the floor or me before I can get him outside.  The book I read said puppies really dont have full bladder control until they're 16 weeks (he's 12 weeks).  Is that true? is there anything I can do to make this problem go away sooner? or give him a fighting chance to hit the grass?

Hey Suzy!  Congrats on getting a new doggie!!! :-)  Take it from me, I KNOW exactly how you feel.  Important thing is you do NOT punish him. He will associate that Potty=bad.  It's a learning thing. 

Dogs will NOT go in their crates because it's their den, and believe it or not, they like to keep it clean. I have had about 6 months experience with crate training, and I've never once saw Stardust go potty there. But as soon as she gets out (from 4 to 6 months of age...so it's not an age thing, it's a learning thing), she will pee. SO, here's my advice and it's been successful.  First, have some chicken (small, like salad pre-cut chicken) ready in my pocket. As soon as I put the leash on, I say, "Let's go outside." and I scoop her up when she walks out of the crate, it actually prevents her from peeing on the carpet. I go outside (do not talk to the dog, or baby talk...this is all business).  Then I give her the command, "Go Potty!" She will sniff around for a while, and when she DOES go, I say "Go Potty!" again to reconfirm the command. When she's done, I say, "Good Girl!!" and I give her the chicken. I praise her well, then I say, "Let's go inside".  CONSISTENCE IS IMPORTANT!! Do not change the command or have Paul say something else. 

IF your dog is peeing midaction or pooping midaction, QUICKLY, scoop his haunches up (don't grab his chest hanging out in front of you...he'll just keep going). It will stop him midstream. Don't punish, and take him outside and use the "Go Potty" command. Give him chicken or special treat (SPECIFICALLY only for going outside. Do not give him the same treat inside for training...it'll mess him up. Purpose is Chicken=go potty. Not chicken="I can do whatever I want". Hope you understand what I meant). 

She only gets the chicken when she actually potties. If she doesn't, and you "know" she has to go, put her back in the crate. Do not say a word.  Wait about 15 minutes later, then start the process again.

It does take a while and some dogs learn faster than others. It took me a little longer than expected.  My gut feeling is because I'm stuck with only having the front yard available (backyard has a pool and mini golf course, and all concrete...that's Vegas. *eye roll*), and she gets distracted by all the smells and the barking of other dogs and stray cats.  

I put her in the crate when it's dinner time. I say the command, "Dinner time", and she knows she goes in the crate.   I use "Bedtime" and she immediately goes in the crate.  Now, she has gotten older and kind of don't need the crate anymore, but if she starts to bother us badly during dinner time, we'll have to start using it again.

For LAST bathroom break before your bedtime, we both use the command, "Time for bed! Let's go Potty", and she knows exactly what it means and will go potty.

I hope it was some help.  If your dog is not food motivated (try chicken, little bit of cheese, carrot - although Stardust hate carrots, small bits of hotdog, or even their own dog food), try toys that your dog can only get when he goes potty. 

If you need to clean up the smells and stuff, use Nature's Miracle. Use baking soda to vacuum. It should help with the smells. 

The only problem I have with Stardust is she's a little weirded out when it rains. It's rare to rain here, so when it rains she refuses to go in her spot. She had an accident the other day (luckily it was on a towel, so I don't care).  So we had to give her walks to her favorite spot that without fail, she'll always go.  Now a few days later, she's fine. Weiiiiiiird. :-)

Anyways, let me know if you need anything else!!  To entertain your dog if your dog is bugging you for attention and you're kind of busy, tired, get Puppy Kong and fill it with cheese-in-a-can, with Puppy Kong treats. It'll keep him busy for hours. I do that if Stardust is bugging me and I just don't feel like playing right now.

Good luck!! Again, if you need anything, I'm an PM away. :-)  BTW - this is my first dog, so I learned a lot in the process and learned a lot from dog training. So that's where all my advice came from. 

ENJOY your doggie!! It ain't real until you have pictures! :-

Edited by CyborgQueen 2010-10-23 5:50 PM
2010-10-23 5:44 PM
in reply to: #3138641

User image

Master
Sin City
Not post padding, but just Surprised at the long-a$$ post I did. LOL!! TOO much information?!

:-
2010-10-23 6:14 PM

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
WAR EAGLE!

How about that Cam Newton!!!
2010-10-23 6:26 PM
in reply to: #3168774

User image

Plainsman AU - 2010-10-23 7:14 PM WAR EAGLE!

How about that Cam Newton!!!

Good game.
Gene's sister is my neighbor

2010-10-23 6:29 PM
in reply to: #3168736

User image

Champion
marietta
CyborgQueen - 2010-10-23 6:25 PM

I know it's Wednesday because I've been up since 4am with the newest member of the family!  But it also means at least one of you are racing this weekend, so expound upon the details!

For the rest of us, why did you make the switch to more minimalist shoes? for those that haven't will you?

VERY belated!  There were a few firsts here. First time that I swam with good size waves. First time I forgot something VERY important (water bottles filled with Heed. HOWEVER...luckily, no one saw my fiancé leave the bag by the fence just right before the swim, otherwise I would have been DQ'd or penalized (shhhh...don't tell anyone! Although, since he did it about 15 minutes before I went off, I don't think it counts. :-) ). First time that I ever felt like I really really really had to go potty. I basically was prairie dogging it for about 45 minutes to an hour on the bike (GI hated me today for not going potty). First time I broke some rules (getting gear from a speculator and deviating from the run course to make a HUGE dump at someone's house). If I didn't go potty, I seriously would have been in agony. I didn't want to do a "Uta Pippig" thing going on. First time that my quads locked up for a while = painful run for about 2 miles. First time that I ran with some one at my pace for 3 miles. I totally do not think I would have done a good job without her. First time that the bike course for any of my triathlons was 80% HILLS with 8-12% grades. Seriously...not a joke if you don't know how to climb hills in Vegas!
Best of all....

So what that I finished it just about 4 hours...important thing I had LOADS of fun!! I'm off to massage my legs, feet, and best of all....sleep and recover.  I sadly will hang up my swim googles for a while. I just seriously hate to swim. So I think I will just wait a while and then do 1x a week for off season. I'll still bike and run of course. Maybe do Jorge's winter training? :-)    RR will be up as soon as I find out my results. Don't be shocked...it's not fast. :-) 

i'm not sure if i'm more pumped about you rocking your first oly or that you took a dump in someone's house during the run.  did you know people that owned the toilet or did you just promise to light a match when you were done?

AWESOME!!! 
2010-10-23 6:36 PM
in reply to: #3168789

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
fattyfatfat - 2010-10-23 7:29 PM

Best of all....

i'm not sure if i'm more pumped about you rocking your first oly or that you took a dump in someone's house during the run.  did you know people that owned the toilet or did you just promise to light a match when you were done?

AWESOME!!! 

lol congrats on the Oly.

Was it in someones house or at someones house?  Could be a big difference there... ; )
2010-10-23 7:02 PM

User image

Master
CyborgQueen - 2010-10-23 3:25 PM

Best of all....

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

Of course the men are all fixated on the poop!!

But for realz, sounds like a good story there, ha ha!!

But really truly for realz, congratulations again. What a huge accomplishemnt for you, DJ! Can't wait to read your RR. Now enjoy your R&R!!
2010-10-23 8:06 PM
in reply to: #3168754

User image

Master
Maryland
CyborgQueen - 2010-10-23 6:44 PM Not post padding, but just Surprised at the long-a$$ post I did. LOL!! TOO much information?!

DJ Congratulations on an awsome race and it sounds like you had soooo much fun too!!Way to kick butt out there!

Linda
2010-10-23 8:08 PM

User image

Master
Sin City
Oy! I should have figured! 

My friend who finished the Sprint was starting off the run with me while he was on his bike. Then I just blurted out to him, I seriously gotta take a "$hit". Because everytime I try to run, "it" gets worse and worse. So all the digestive system stuff need to go. I SERIOUSLY was thinking about going in someone's yard and just poop. But I have a strong suspicion that my "present" would really look very different from a stray dog's. 

He rode a little ahead of me, and found a house that left the door open. He kindly asked if I could use the bathroom. The guy let me in and use his bathroom. Wasted a good 5 minutes in there. I seriously felt like my agony was all gone.  I had to jump over a fence to get in there and jump over to get out.  I totally missed the entrance gate. D'OH!   There would have been NO F'king way that I could have ran 6 miles in agony.   My friend told me that this was his favorite triathlon. Not because of his finishing time, but because of my little detour.  Men.

Yes there was PortaPotties, but they're OUTSIDE of the race, I would have to accept a DNF. They should seriously consider putting a few on the run course.  The bike, people can easily pee on the bike, no big deal right?  But what about #2? This was sprint, Olympic, and Long Course. So...

I had to make do...do. yeah that's funny. DooDoo...get it? OKAY...moving along...moving along.

Edited by CyborgQueen 2010-10-23 8:32 PM

2010-10-23 8:27 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
i don't know what to say, other than.... awesome.  just f'ing awesome.

among the many details, this one stands out. not by much, butt it does. 

"I SERIOUSLY was thinking about going in someone's yard and just poop. But I have a strong suspicion that my "present" would really look very different from a stray dog's. "

2010-10-23 8:39 PM
in reply to: #3168866

User image

Master
Sin City
fattyfatfat - 2010-10-23 6:27 PM i don't know what to say, other than.... awesome.  just f'ing awesome.

"I SERIOUSLY was thinking about going in someone's yard and just poop. But I have a strong suspicion that my "present" would really look very different from a stray dog's. "

When you get to Vegas, remind me to tell you my deaf hunter and hearing hunter joke. It involves poop. :-) You'll be cracking up. :-P 
2010-10-23 9:13 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
By far my favorite is:

I was basically prairie dogging it on the bike for 45 minutes to an hour 

I didnt know that was a universal term. Thought it was only a Canadian thing.
For Suzy and maybe a few others I'll save you some time    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=PRAIRIE+DOGGING

And DJ great race. Time is irrelevant. I can tell from your post(s) that you had a blast today and that by far is the most important thing.

2010-10-23 9:14 PM
in reply to: #3168866

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
fattyfatfat - 2010-10-23 7:27 PM i don't know what to say, other than.... awesome.  just f'ing awesome.

Accidental or play on words? Butt..nice one
2010-10-23 9:18 PM
in reply to: #3168860

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
CyborgQueen - 2010-10-23 8:08 PM Oy! I should have figured! 

My friend who finished the Sprint was starting off the run with me while he was on his bike. Then I just blurted out to him, I seriously gotta take a "$hit". Because everytime I try to run, "it" gets worse and worse. So all the digestive system stuff need to go. I SERIOUSLY was thinking about going in someone's yard and just poop. But I have a strong suspicion that my "present" would really look very different from a stray dog's. 

He rode a little ahead of me, and found a house that left the door open. He kindly asked if I could use the bathroom. The guy let me in and use his bathroom. Wasted a good 5 minutes in there. I seriously felt like my agony was all gone.  I had to jump over a fence to get in there and jump over to get out.  I totally missed the entrance gate. D'OH!   There would have been NO F'king way that I could have ran 6 miles in agony.   My friend told me that this was his favorite triathlon. Not because of his finishing time, but because of my little detour.  Men.

Yes there was PortaPotties, but they're OUTSIDE of the race, I would have to accept a DNF. They should seriously consider putting a few on the run course.  The bike, people can easily pee on the bike, no big deal right?  But what about #2? This was sprint, Olympic, and Long Course. So...

I had to make do...do. yeah that's funny. DooDoo...get it? OKAY...moving along...moving along.

CONGRATULATIONS ON A GREAT FIRST OLY!!!!  There are so many things about your mini RR that make me want to laugh.  I kind of disagree with your OS swim strategy, but I'll let you bask in the glory for the rest of the weekend before talking to you abou it!  Thanks for the dog advice too. I need to go back and re-read it before shooting you some questions.  Rest up!

2010-10-23 11:21 PM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California

HUMMMM, BABY!!!!!!

2010-10-23 11:21 PM
in reply to: #3168943

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
velcromom - 2010-10-23 9:21 PM

HUMMMM, BABY!!!!!!

Game 4 is my marathon day!!!

Edited by velcromom 2010-10-23 11:22 PM
2010-10-24 7:28 AM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

Best of all....

congratulations DJ. Huge accomplishment. Even if it was a little crappy.

Edited by Redknight 2010-10-24 7:35 AM
2010-10-24 7:43 AM

User image

Expert
Greer, SC

Best of all....

CONGRATULATIONS DJ!!

Lots of firsts.  I am trying to decide what my favorite distance is Olympic or HIM.  They are both so much fun!

Suzy - As much as I have been thinking about a minimalist shoe, I don't think it's for me.  I am going to try the New Balance 905 as my new shoe.  My PT tests running shoes for difference magazines and he told me the 905 would be great for me.  I need a little stability in the heel and mid foot, but little in the front and that shoe matches me perfectly.  Also, I think I mentioned something on FB, but Cooper is soooo cute!!

Edited by Jeepguy2358 2010-10-24 7:47 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun Mentor Group II- CLOSED FOR BUSINESS!!! Rss Feed  

of 81